Newsweek finally goes where none have gone before

posted at 4:31 pm on May 13, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Are you kidding me? I get that Andrew Sullivan is a man with an agenda and I completely support his right to make his opinions heard. I also understand that Newsweek – like any other publication – is in business to make a profit and that frequently involves pushing the envelope in terms of catching the public’s attention. But at what point is too much simply too much? When is the shark definitively jumped and the daily bread burned past any reasonable definition of being toast? Ladies and gentlemen, this would be that point.

First Gay President Large

Politico “explains.”

“‘Let the games begin,” Tina Brown said last week after Time Magazine released its controversial breastfeeding cover.

Brown, whose tenure as editor at Newsweek has seen an array of controversial covers, will respond with the above, pegged to Andrew Sullivan’s piece on Obama’s support for same-sex marriage: “The First Gay President.”

The poster that comes from this is going to sell millions. Take that to the bank.

I’m not such a political neophyte as to suggest that this is unique in politics, but the bold faced, brazen machinations and ham handed plotting which have characterized this “evolution” in the President’s position on the subject at hand are rather breathtaking. And I’m not saying that people don’t actually “evolve” in their positions, beliefs or ideology. I know that my own attitudes and beliefs in my twenties were a far cry – in some instances at least – from where I stand in my fifties. Very few of us spring out of the halls of high school fully formed with all of the opinions we’ll hold until the grave.

But these evolutions generally take place over a long period of time, as exposure to new people and different ideas are examined and experimented with. Some are kept, others are rejected. Barack Obama, on the other hand, has gone in the course of less than a decade from full throated support of gay marriage to full opposition on religious grounds, back to full support. Are we really supposed to be buying this?

Apparently Mr. Sullivan thinks so. And Newsweek is more than happy to jump on board with a cover which will probably go down as one of the most ridiculed and satirized efforts in the history of magazine publication. (But I wouldn’t mind a piece of the sales from the poster, though.) Yeesh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

A sexual preference is not a race. My take.

kingsjester on May 14, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Exactly right. Forget when and where, but even that token black leader in the house minority leadership, Clyburn, took offense at equating the struggles of the gay movement with the black civil rights. But I guess he’s eveolved and left MLK behind.

AH_C on May 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The commenters who are out over the edge — particularly the late AngryEd (who has seemingly and mercifully disappeared) — see their mission as merely taunting and antagonizing peolpe to get a reaction.

[snip]

The War Planner on May 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I’m thinking that either angryed is still licking his wounds after the epic clowning he took during his meltdown, or there was a stealth banning.

I’m thinking the latter, because the management must have gotten a flood of e-mail, but doesn’t want to seem like they bent to pressure.

cane_loader on May 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM

That’s not the problem. He’s going to join the Conservative Party and help put together slates of national candidates to defeat Republicans and Democrats AFTER helping the Republicans to a smashing victory in November. Now, help me out here: is it going to be that the GOPe is going to be so very demoralized and vulnerable after that victory that there will be an opening for this Conservative Party to step into?

I expose the idiocy of such “thinking” and it makes some of you mad as hell. I don’t care. Deal with it.

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I thought that hawkdriver was serious about joining the Conservative Party, but if he doesn’t want to defeat the Republican Party … it’s like marrying a woman to teach another woman a lesson.

As for your making some of us mad, you are chronically grumpy and negative and only seem to be pleased when something goes wrong for the Republicans. And constantly calling people Nazis (brownshirts) doesn’t help either.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The War Planner on May 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I’m not sure my comment elevated itself past just trying to be reasonable, but thanks. I don’t disagree with much else of what you wrote.

There is still the fact though that this primary was pure vitriol and it came from all corners. No one really has any great moral ground to stand on.

I started by leaning Perry and just really ended up gravitating to Santorum because what he was accomplishing really was for all intent and purposes, a true grass roots effort. And in my opinion, he was the most Conservative. But I was never sold on any one person. I wanted the primary to play out and it did. But along the way, the things that were said about Perry, Santorum, Santorum’s wife and then his kids too? Disgusting.

So whether ddrintn is an actual disgruntled conservative or someone playing moby for President Obama, I don’t know. I do know conservatives are less and less welcome in the GOP. I could spend hours reposting the comments of progressive republicans cheering the fact they think we’re through as a voting block. But I’m tired of making the point. The comments are there and so is the sentiment.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I’d actually prefer it to return to it’s Conservative roots. You obviously lean more progressive democrat but claim title as a republican. I guess anything is fair.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You forgot, “salad tossed.”

cane_loader on May 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I just threw up a little in my mouth…

ForThemWhatCare on May 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

That makes absolutely no sense. You don’t purge the Republican Party of Progressives by joining another party. The moment you leave the GOP you have lost your voice. Whatever they do is not your business anymore.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

You’re a progressive in the GOP and you seem to have a say. I guess I’ll still have mine as a Conservative outside the GOP.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I am neither a progressive, nor am I in the GOP.

And maybe you are right and the GOP isn’t the place for Conservatives anymore (I don’t agree but I may be wrong). But if you want Conservatives to have a say outside the GOP you’ll have to defeat the GOP, or you will be irrelevant.

I don’t even say that challenging the GOP from the right is bad. A meaningful third party would really shake American politics up and maybe even destroy some of the corrupt networks. But you can’t join another party and NOT try to defeat the GOP.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I am neither a progressive, nor am I in the GOP.

Then don’t assume what I have a right you say about anything.

No, you’re wrong. Even as a Conservative Party memeber, the GOP still is the closest similar functioning party to ally with and unite with when election time comes around.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I can join a third party and do anything I think I need to to promote Conservatism.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Then don’t assume what I have a right you say about anything.

Not sure how that came out.

Let’s try …

Then don’t assume what I have a right “to” say about anything.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

What makes you think that I “lean progressive democrat”? My strong pro-life position, the fact that I prefer civil unions for gays to gay marriage, or the fact that I’m getting into heated discussions with atheists in every atheist thread? Or is it just that I support Romney?

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

If that is truly the case, I would say you are close to my leanings than I understood and would pull back from that assertion. I’d still be confused as to why you think I’d need to be more opposing to the GOP than need be as a Conservative Party member. Unless you are one too and that’s your stance.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

“closer’

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The reason I make people here mad is that they suspect I’m right, and they don’t want to hear it. They’d rather keep hitting the bong. As for “brownshirts”, I use the term when it’s warranted. Don’t want to hear it, then ride the asses of those who act like brownshirts, not me.

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Then don’t assume what I have a right to say about anything.

Even as a Conservative Party member, the GOP still is the closest similar functioning party to ally with and unite with when election time comes around.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I never said that you don’t have the right to do something. I just didn’t understand why you want to join a third party, but still don’t want to defeat the Republicans. It didn’t make sense to me.

You are talking about a coalition? Okay, that’s a possibility.

But still, and I apologize for being so stubborn, joining a third party means that your allegiance won’t be with the Republicans anymore. You always want the best for YOUR party, not for your coalition partner.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yes, it is truly the case.

As for the third party, it’s just my personal opinion that if I join a party I want my party to win. A coalition is not the first goal.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Yes, it is truly the case.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

A coalition is not my first goal. The promotion of Conservatism is. Any vehicle that promotes it is fair to support.

If you are not GOP or Conservative Party, do you claim Independant or Libertarian?

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

What makes a Romney supporter a Nazi? Contradicting you and using the same hyperbolic language as you do?

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Just because you don’t dig what I have to say doesn’t mean I’m using “hyperbolic language”. And I can “contradict” anything, but it doesn’t mean that the proposition I’m trying to contradict has in fact been refuted.

As for “brownshirt” attitudes, try this on: “you’re an O-BOT!!! A SOCIALIST!!!!! CONCERN TROLL!!!! MOBY!!!! YOU SHOULD BE BANNNNNNEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!” …along with wrenching remarks out of context, twisting remarks to make the commenter look bad, etc etc. That’s more the tactics of a DU-type. And oddly enough, ya know I don’t really recall your ever taking issue with that sort of behavior. However, commenters like me and angryed and a few other dissidents are da debbil. It’s funny more than anything else.

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I am a conservative Independent with a libertarian streak. I believe that all people should have the right and the possibility to be happy in their own, individual ways, as long as they don’t harm others. They have the right to make stupid mistakes, but they must take responsibility for them.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Ah. Thanks for the answer. Off to nap here before I fly tonight. Cheers everyone. Things are somewhat looking up. Great stuff in the Walker thread.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Fair to say that Obozo will be named ‘Grand Marshall’ of the biggest pooper popper parade in history.

BillyPenn on May 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

You think that you are martyr because other posters call you a moby?

Calling other people Nazis or – in angryed’s case – calling all conservatives and especially Southerners stupid racists and all soldiers vile morons is not dissent. It’s just name-calling.

And when angryed defends everything Obama does while constantly insulting conservatives – well, then we can conclude that he is not a conservative. And when you agree with him … what should be the conclusion?

The funny thing is that I always thought you are from the South as well. But you can’t be, or you wouldn’t defend angryed’s constant insults of Southerners.

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

ddrintn on May 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

how many months has it been since you went outside, enjoyed fresh air and pondered the beauty of creation?
As glued as you seem to be to these threads it seems awfully important to you for some reason… a mission I suppose. You’ve lost all perspective. Try going cold turkey for three or four days from posting anything or better yet not getting on the internet at all.

You might be surprised what that reveals to you….

Bradky on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I haven’t read any of the comments yet…but I think the guys over at hillbuzz have been saying this for quite a while…

cptacek on May 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Looking forward to seeing Obambam in @$$less Chaps ,
dancing on a float……at the SF Pride parade :O

burrata on May 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

psst…all chaps are @$$less…otherwise they would be called “leather pants”

cptacek on May 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Considering all the rumors that Obama’s gay, this cover seems ill-advised, lol.

mbs on May 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Don’t forget that Newsweek also dubbed Obama “god of all things.” Seriously.

jdawg on May 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Obama 2012 HOPE AND CHANGE WILL AND GRACE

profitsbeard on May 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Funny… I read the Newsweek article and could not find the names Larry Sinclair, Reggie Love, Donald Yong, Larry Bland, or Kal Penn.

Colony14 on May 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Sorry if this duplicates someone else’s earlier post.

Early in the 2008 Presidential campaign, one of the candidate’s press section had a sign taped to the bulkhead that read:

“If journalism was easy, Newsweek would do it.”

Jazz, you should have had that as the closer to your article. ;->

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Bradky on May 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

How long has it been since you’ve been outside that bottle of bourbon?

ddrintn on May 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM

You think that you are martyr because other posters call you a moby?

Gelsomina on May 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

No, I’m saying those that use the tactic are brownshirts. Do try to keep up.

ddrintn on May 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Good lord. Did I miss something?

Did Mad Magazine buy Newsweek? I keep searching the cover for that little Alfred Newman.

BacaDog on May 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM