Newsweek finally goes where none have gone before

posted at 4:31 pm on May 13, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Are you kidding me? I get that Andrew Sullivan is a man with an agenda and I completely support his right to make his opinions heard. I also understand that Newsweek – like any other publication – is in business to make a profit and that frequently involves pushing the envelope in terms of catching the public’s attention. But at what point is too much simply too much? When is the shark definitively jumped and the daily bread burned past any reasonable definition of being toast? Ladies and gentlemen, this would be that point.

First Gay President Large

Politico “explains.”

“‘Let the games begin,” Tina Brown said last week after Time Magazine released its controversial breastfeeding cover.

Brown, whose tenure as editor at Newsweek has seen an array of controversial covers, will respond with the above, pegged to Andrew Sullivan’s piece on Obama’s support for same-sex marriage: “The First Gay President.”

The poster that comes from this is going to sell millions. Take that to the bank.

I’m not such a political neophyte as to suggest that this is unique in politics, but the bold faced, brazen machinations and ham handed plotting which have characterized this “evolution” in the President’s position on the subject at hand are rather breathtaking. And I’m not saying that people don’t actually “evolve” in their positions, beliefs or ideology. I know that my own attitudes and beliefs in my twenties were a far cry – in some instances at least – from where I stand in my fifties. Very few of us spring out of the halls of high school fully formed with all of the opinions we’ll hold until the grave.

But these evolutions generally take place over a long period of time, as exposure to new people and different ideas are examined and experimented with. Some are kept, others are rejected. Barack Obama, on the other hand, has gone in the course of less than a decade from full throated support of gay marriage to full opposition on religious grounds, back to full support. Are we really supposed to be buying this?

Apparently Mr. Sullivan thinks so. And Newsweek is more than happy to jump on board with a cover which will probably go down as one of the most ridiculed and satirized efforts in the history of magazine publication. (But I wouldn’t mind a piece of the sales from the poster, though.) Yeesh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Andrew Sullivan is hoping to land Barack Obama since Todd Palin won’t leave Sarah for him.

bw222 on May 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I smell desperation. And desperation smells like rainbows.

jukin3 on May 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

..you have abbalutely nailed it! I keep thinking that if his tongue-bathing MSM press corpse have to WORK THIS HARD THIS EARLY then there must be a passel of turds frloating in those punch bowls that they call The Pantload’s internal polls.

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

It’s hilarious when those who are being goaded can’t see they’re being goaded.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I guess that makes Big Mo a faghag.

Pork-Chop on May 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Beard

Philly on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I have to ask – is this for real?

kjl291 on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

A sucker punch is coming up. All “teh ghey” remarks are going to be paraded out non-stop as proof of GOP homophobia. You’re being played again. ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

NC didn’t defeat perv marriage by 61% with only GOP support.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

..also, this thought: THIS IS RICH IN ITS RICHLY RICH RICHNESS! Can we please make this thread QOTD? I mean, I got the thingy of crushed ice, the quart of single malt, and my favorite highball glass right here. Let’s go! Let’s get it on!

..o.k., whose the first one to go with their fave You Tube music vid?

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

There appears to be some kind of bet going on inside the WH as to how low they can drive BO in polls and this Newsweek cover appears to be part of that effort.

The “garage” campaign stop would also qualify.

Actually the whole damned 1st term would qualify.

If we weren’t so totally boned as a country this would be quite funny.

trapeze on May 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

These clowns have been searching for the “greatest president since Lincoln” hook since the dude took office.

The narrative was written by his Harvard buddies before he was elected, they’ve simply needed to make up the facts to fill in the rationale. This gay “evolution” fills the “Lincoln evolved on slavery; freed the slaves” parallel they been looking for.

These guys are beyond predictable.

rickyricardo on May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

NC didn’t defeat perv marriage by 61% with only GOP support.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

..good one, that is, mate. Gotta remember that!

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“What a joke. This guy will go down (no pun intended) as the worst of the worst.”

Yes! The clowns who did this don’t understand that blacks and gays will be set back fifty years as a result of having a Shockingly Full-Frontal Incompetent Black/Gay President in the White House.

“We won’t get fooled again!” (say the foolable fools who were fooled the first time)

fulldroolcup on May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Haha. Thanks for looking out for us, friend.

Chuck Schick on May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

NC didn’t defeat perv marriage by 61% with only GOP support.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

That’s going to be about as relevant in November as 2010 was. And all those referenda in CA didn’t win just on GOP votes, either. Look who’s the governor now.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Haha. Thanks for looking out for us, friend.

Chuck Schick on May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Somebody has to. Not as if it would do any good…

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Biden dropped the soap, and Obama bent down to pick it up.

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Considering Democrats voted down gay marriage as well, I doubt that. Not a razor-thin margin in NC, for sure.

Philly on May 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

It’s hilarious when those who are being goaded can’t see they’re being goaded.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Goad this!

..or did I mis-read your comment?

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

..o.k., whose the first one to go with their fave You Tube music vid? The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Check it out.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Larry Sinclair Vindicated?

Maybe Obama’s new campaign slogan should be “Grope and Dope 2012″
stratman

Green eyed Lady on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Somebody has to. Not as if it would do any good…

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

It doesn’t. You’re like the fart no one will take credit for but yet never dissipates.

Chuck Schick on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

That’s some evolution. Newsweek had to have known they were skewering him. They’ll make a quick buck out of it.

Philly on May 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

You know, there had to be some coordination. These things take some time to put together; could they really have put an edition together this quickly without knowing the details beforehand?

/yes, I’m that suspicious of the close link between the MSM and the communists in the White House.

AZfederalist on May 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Check it out.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

..awwwwwriiiiight! Way to go, AK! I’m pouring my first one now!

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Goad this!

..or did I mis-read your comment?

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Oh, good grief.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Somebody has to. Not as if it would do any good…

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Chuck Schick on May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

LOL…says one of the claque that can do nothing but rely on ad hominem. Nice going. Very witty. Har har har.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Guys, please stop saying Obama “evolved” on this issue… he just “revolved” after deceiving people about what he really believed.

ninjapirate on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That cover photo probably gets more coverage from being on Hot Air than it gets from being on Newsweek. Nobody reads Newsweek anymore.

crosspatch on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That’s going to be about as relevant in November as 2010 was.

We’ll see.

And all those referenda in CA didn’t win just on GOP votes, either. Look who’s the governor now. ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

So Obooba suddenly embraced same sex marriage based on the example of CA voters rejecting it yet electing Brown.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

think nothing of it because in november Newsweeks cover will say-

The first “Mormon” president.

gerrym51 on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

..awwwwwriiiiight! Way to go, AK! I’m pouring my first one now! The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Ya gotta play the whole vid. It starts out kinda slow.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

What will Malia and Sasha say now?

CJ on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

LOL This is the best to date….’first gay president’

I think he really is…we’ll find out soon enough.

Redford on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

That’s going to be about as relevant in November as 2010 was.

We’ll see.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You’re the one that made the attempted correlation, not I.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

There goes Obowma’s “Machismo“…

… Oh, esperar!

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

you mean that whole VERA BAKER thing was a ruse?

Who is this Larry Sinclair person?

And now since Allen West has said there are Communists in the Dem Congress can we also now call the Preezie a homosexual too??

By November will he just come out and say he’s a Marxist too?

PappyD61 on May 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

think nothing of it because in november Newsweeks cover will say-

The first “Mormon” president.

gerrym51 on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Of what?

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

crosspatch on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yes, no body reads it. But this cover will be the most talked about thing tomorrow from 5 am until midnight on every channel and talk show. I’m waiting for some Photoshops, no doubt just around the corner. Anybody seen any yet?

Marcus on May 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

It’s hilarious when those who are being goaded can’t see they’re being goaded.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

darn shame your half of the electorate doesn’t get it

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Newsweek’s editors are well aware that Obama is a person of color, related to Muslims, and at one time was a practicing Muslim. They knew this goofy pronouncement would not sit well with those communities. So Conservatives are homophobes, and those groups are not. Riiiiight.

I know, because Newsweek is run by liberals, it’s “bold” and “brave” to declare Barry the first gay president. If the National Review had done this, the firestorm would be visible from outer space. Please.

Philly on May 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

By November will he just come out and say he’s a Marxist too?

PappyD61 on May 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

And he’d probably gain in the polls. We’re that far gone.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

At least I bring humor. You’re quite a bore.

Chuck Schick on May 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You’re the one that made the attempted correlation, not I. ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

You brought up CA, genius.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Nice touch – painting over the purple lips with Cover Girl Queen Collection “Rosy Tomorrow” #Q450

timmytee on May 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

As some one else said:

Will Sullivan respect Obama’s va-jay-jay? Or will climb up into it like he did to Palin?

Blake on May 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Plus, Obooba suddenly trailed Mitt by 7 pts the next day.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM

All Hail The Chief Beta Male.

Tina Brown, has removed any sign that Barack Obama is an Alpha Male. Good Job Tina.

When American’s vote, the last thing they are looking for is an Alpha Leader/

Dr Evil on May 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Maybe Obama knows he’s going to lose, and he plans to blame his loss on the “homophobes.” He’ll say, “everybody loved my foreign and economic policies, but there are just too many homophobic bigots left in this country.” He’ll be a “civil rights martyr.” A “great President’s” time in office cut short “by hate.”

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

What will Malia and Sasha say now?

CJ on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

who’s our real daddy???

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Obooba’s evolving halo.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

So,just in time for (Progressive Fantasy’s)and dare I say,
a possible Liberal/NewsWeek Magazine Serendipity Collution,

with the Gay Themey,

Hopey the Social Justice Crusader,Strutt’n on da Unicorn
War Horse,waving the (LGBT) RainBow Flag of Solidarity..

…and surprise,just before election season!!

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Its funny that somr still think crying homophobe is a winning strategy for Dems.

Theyre 0 for 32 including getting crushed in NC.

swamp_yankee on May 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Yes, I opined last week that he knows he’s gonna lose and is in legacy building mode.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

You know who this helps?

Punchenko on May 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Great

Kiss his mocha ass goodbye.

TexasJew on May 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Bwahahaha! Larry Sinclair, where are you?

This is gonna sell really big in the swing states.

Good job, TIME. Screwed by your own willful blindness. Love it.

petefrt on May 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

California is a unique case along with New York and Illinois, states that have finally reached the takers > makers threshold. Those states will vote for democrats until they implode from debt. I still believe that the rest of the country is not yet that brain dead. The reckoning is coming this November; the Tea Party didn’t go away, its members have started working within the system to change it.

AZfederalist on May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

What will Malia and Sasha say now?

CJ on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Daddy has plugged many holes
;-)

burrata on May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Everybody said hew as on the down low…

Blake on May 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM

===============================

MEANWHILE……Hopey/Changeys converses with the first and only
Sexual Predator of the United States of America….

lets listen in…..

Ah..Bill…ah..I want to ah…know..ah..how do you ah Politically
evolve ah…before an election..ah…ah…to get voting support..
I…ah…would ah…like to know…..

Well..like I always told Begala,I would first conduct a loaded
Liberal/Democrat Poll,that would favour,ah,the result needed,

ah shoot Obama,just wet your finger,thrust it into the air,and
hope for the best……(snark)

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

…and surprise,just before election season!!

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Hey buddy…

… Good to see you again. I missed ya’.

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

It would be funnier with horns instead of a halo.

Kjeil on May 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Yes! I can hear it now:

Chris Matthews: You know, Rachel, I think President Obama lost this election not because of the economy — which was improving greatly, by the way — but because he is so bold and such a historic presence on the world’s stage.

Rachel Maddow: Hmmm, yes.

Chris Matthews: And… and I think that will be his legacy, you know. Here is the first African-American president who came out, you know. He came out and supported gay rights and…

Rachel Maddow: He is Churchillian isn’t he, Chris?

Chris Matthews: Yes… yes he is. He is superior to all the rest but vastly underrated and vastly unappreciated. He was one of the greats — the history makers.

Punchenko on May 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

Self absorbed Barrack will look at this and probably just think to himself.. “… finally, a halo.”

JellyToast on May 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM

What happened to the gravity of the presidency? Is there no respect for the office of president anymore? Even if this editor and this publication have no respect for the sitting president, one would expect the bare modicum of respect for the office of the presidency. For an American publication to so thoroughly trivialize the President of the United States goes well beyond the pall. ( Yes… I do mean Pall… not ‘pale’.)

Frankly, I’m weary of people making their own sexuality, or that of others, everyone’s business. I’m particularly tired of having other people’s sexuality or sexual preferences and proclivities brought to my attention despite the fact that I’d rather not be harangued with it. That includes “Newsweek” and it includes the President of the United States.

I don’t say this lightly. My own niece, who had chosen to have no communication with anyone in the family for the several years since she graduated from high school, called recently and informed me that she was a lesbian. I asked her if I had in any way had ever expressed any interest in her sex life. She responded that I had not. I asked her why she decided to tell me, given that I hadn’t asked and we had never been particularly close. She said “Its something that we do. We ‘come out’ to our family and friends.” I asked her if she was asking for assistance of some sort or my advice with a personal matter. She replied she certainly was not asking for assistance or advice and she informed me that she didn’t care what I thought of her announcement. I told her that neither the rest of the family, nor my friends, have ever called me to discuss their sex lives. We generally consider that a private matter.She informed me that her sexual orientation is the most important issue in her life and it affects every decision that she makes. I responded that I was growing concerned, given the conversation, that she was making that singular issue the crux of her identity. She was offended. I reminded her that she had called me.

The point is, I would have responded in the same manner to any of my friends or family who called me with such an announcement, gay or straight. Yes, that includes anyone brazen enough to call me and announce that they’ve made a conquest, too. I’m a private person. Everyone in the family and all of my personal friends are cognizant of that facet of my personality. I believe that I have a right to that privacy, which includes not being dragged into matters that don’t concern me UNLESS someone needs my assistance or advice with a personal matter.

I was brought up in the belief that minding one’s own business is a virtue, and not burdening your friends with unwelcome or intrusive personal information is just good manners.

I’m a ‘Live and let live.’ sort of individual. I don’t care what you do as long as its legal and you’re not making it my business. However, I also believe that we all have a right to privacy… and that includes the right NOT TO HAVE TO KNOW ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE’S SEX LIFE.

So… in my own opinion…if you’re ‘LOUD AND PROUD’…if you’re an ‘in-your-face militant gay activist’… if you’re one of those people who just loves to brag about your latest conquest, gay or straight…if you’re a publication looking to boost your rapidly diminishing circulation…. or even if you’re the President of the United States and you’re looking to gain a few votes and stir up your lethargic voter base…you’re obnoxious.

thatsafactjack on May 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM

What will Malia and Sasha say now?

CJ on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Daddy has plugged many holes
;-)

burrata on May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

..ausgeseichnet! Excruciatingly funny!

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

This is just so ridiculous I do not know what can be said about it. Absurd. Pathetic.

Terrye on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wait, I though only rednecks “clung to their guns”

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Oops,so we revisit,the infamous can I get closer than close image!

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

from Arianna Huffington: “the week’s top story was obviously President Obama’s “I do” on gay marriage — a groundbreaking move that aligned him with Dr. King’s evocative suggestion that we be the headlights of history, not the taillights. Thank you for your bold leadership, Mr. President”…..

Comparing to MLK? Bold–really? About the only thing he hadn’t done was stock up on Vaseline..

hillsoftx on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

LGF is going hysterical over homosexual ‘civil rights’ and the GOP’s ‘bigotry’.

His hard left turn seems to have occured in concert with his embrace of the alternative lifestyle. Even the other leftist blogs aren’t getting as exercised…

CorporatePiggy on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

ninjapirate on May 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM

CW on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Look, folks, everything the Obama campaign does is coordinated with the media. Everything. I cannot figure out the end game here, though. Either 1) Barack knows he’s going to lose, and wants to blame “anti-gay backlash” to avoid being Jimmy Carter 2.0 — an abject failure; or 2) he’s planning to push for some kind of gay-related legislation in the fall, which he thinks will be a game-changer.

Rational Thought on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

AZfederalist on May 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Every state is unique in its own way, and if the TP were as powerful and fired up as you think and as united behind Romney as will be necessary for him to win, a Romney landslide would be as clearly likely now as the GOP takeover of the House was at this point in 2010.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I’ve been in the antique biz for 45 Yrs. Gays like to pretend pole smokers look like Obama. In reality they look they look like Sullivan.

rik on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

What will Malia and Sasha say now?

CJ on May 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM

They have two mommies?

profitsbeard on May 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

..ausgeseichnet! Excruciatingly funny!

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Ausgezeichnet.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

So,what Bill Clinton started……..cigars and romping…

….Hopey/Changey will finnish it off,

and hopefully,the Liberal/Democrat/Progressive Socialist Party
along with it!!

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Ausgezeichnet.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

..danke.

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I’m sorry. But if this a$$hole somehow gets close to being re-elected, America has to be the biggest collection of stupid ever assembled.

Lanceman on May 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Well, if he is re-elected, as I think he will be, what does that say about the GOP?

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

That they’re stupid as well, but really it comes down to the population to cognitively think on their own. Aren’t most elections essentially voting for the lesser of two evils? I feel your pain because I share it as a Palinista and all that could have been, but sometimes one has to strategically vote and this is one of those times.

Nothing Lanceman said was incorrect and actually that was one of the most succinct sentences I’ve read in a while. Thank you for that, Lanceman.

kim roy on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

He was for it (1996) before he was against it (2004) before he was for it (2012).

Jasper61 on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Obama’s been demeaning the stature of the Presidency for a long time; however, this has to be the stupidest halo picture of him to date, not to mention the adjoining article.

This is going to backfire big time and I can’t think of a President more deserving.

moonsbreath on May 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Frooty

lacerta on May 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Biden dropped the soap, and Obama bent down to pick it up.

RBMN on May 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

You mean they weren’t using Soap On A Rope?

Del Dolemonte on May 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM

so the long legged mack daddy…. is on the down low?

tom daschle concerned on May 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Hey buddy…

… Good to see you again. I missed ya’.

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Seven Percent Solution:Thanks SPS,just took an info break,hey,
since its still Mothers Day,to you and
little Seven,I hope you get a kick out of
this:)
=============================

A Gift for Mother’s Day
***********************

Just in time for Mother’s Day– forget the flowers and all that, here’s a timeless gift for all those moms who pull extra duty trying to get the little ones in the rack, night after night…

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Jasper61 on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Gosh, you’d almost think his principled stands coincide with his election prospects. But, nah, that would just be cynical to think.

Rational Thought on May 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Is Sullivan actually “outing” Mr. Obama as a Nancy boy? Very unseemly even if true.

Mason on May 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

kim roy on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I was drunk.

Lanceman on May 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Even if voters forget about this, there are ways of reminding them about such things in time for the election.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Oops,Ahem!

The Hopey/Changey Files
************************

At Occidental College, Obama plays basketball and continues taking drugs. He becomes friends with Pakistani Muslims Mohammed Hasan Chandoo (perhaps spelled Chandio) and Wahid Hamid, and Indian Vinai Thummalapally. At Occidental College Obama indulges in alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine. He becomes interested in the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.

While at Occidental Obama is mentored by an openly gay professor, Lawrence Goldyn, who has a strong influence on Obama’s acceptance of gays.
********
**********

Fellow student Thummalapally lives with Obama in the summer of 1980. Obama’s freshman year roommate at Occidental is Imad Husain, a Pakistani.
=====================

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The good thing about looking back on the Prop 8 statistical information is that the following groups all voted in favor of Prop 8(Banning gay marriage) in far left liberal California: Asians, Blacks, Latinos Muslims.

Well the good thing that the mostly white elite liberals have so many people to hateful attacks.

By the way when will Barack Obama say:I AM NOT GAY! or is it more uh uh i am evolving

DVPTexFla on May 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

And he’d probably gain in the polls. We’re that far gone.

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM

So, what are you going to do about it? Why are you even here and not just cowering in some corner somewhere fearing the sound of approaching footsteps? Is it just that you want validation of this defeat and are seeking comfort in numbers of other hand-wringers?

I just cannot abide a defeatist attitude. This, “they have everything in the bag and we are going to lose big time, the country is sunk and it’s just totally unrecoverable” mindset is totally self-defeating and not at all helpful. That is one of my big beefs with the Birch society, in addition to them seeing a conspiracy in every utterance from D.C, they have been telling us for decades how the U.S. is sunk, the fix is in, the communists are everywhere, and the plan for the complete takeover is just down the road. While they have many points about the statist conspiracy, they never seem to have a plan to defeat that conspiracy aside from a lot of hand wringing and strongly worded newsletters sent out to their own followers.

2010 was only two years ago and people were saying that the Tea Party people were just being too optimistic, nothing was going to change.

Yeah, I’m an optimist and I don’t take defeat lying down; I hate to see it when others do.

AZfederalist on May 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

It was. You had to know what to look for. It’s all about managing expectations

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM

NC didn’t defeat perv marriage by 61% with only GOP support.

Akzed on May 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

ddrintn on May 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Geez. Quit with the Romney hate. Most of us aren’t all that thrilled but know what needs to be done. You’re getting silly now.

First of all, it’s CA. Do I need to waste paragraphs explaining all the idiocy related to CA?

Secondly, the dems have absolutely nothing else to talk about. Pretty soon this is all going to get very very old. Do you really think the population wants to hear about gay rights for the next five months when they are having to fill up the tank and watch their neighbors and family members get laid off.

I hope they continue to yammer about gay rights and Romney’s high school idiocy for the next five months. By the time the election rolls around people will be storming the polls to get rid of the insanity.

This is flop sweat and desperation. Yes, the GOP should be fielding a better candidate, but it is what it is.

kim roy on May 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM

When Obama leaves office he’s got a hard choice to make. Gay or Muslim . My money’s on gay.

rik on May 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM

kim roy on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I was drunk.

Lanceman on May 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

..you might be onto something there. If this correlation of inebriation to pithiness persists, you just might be the next Hunter S. Thompson.

The War Planner on May 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM

HA, HA! Obama has always been obsessed on proving that he was a “better Dem POTUS” than Clinton (the only Dem POTUS to win a 2nd term since Truman in 1949). Since Clinton was known as the “First Black President” poor Barry had to be called the First Something or other President. Looks like he got his wish.

Dark Star on May 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM