Happy Mother’s Day!

posted at 11:31 am on May 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The staff at Hot Air would like to send our greetings to all of the mothers in our readership — and especially our own mothers — for Mother’s Day today, as well as our wives who provided such nurture and love to our own children.  I’d also like to include my DIL, who is the mother of my two grandchildren, and all of the daughters and daughters-in-law of our readers who have made many of you grandparents, too.  It has never been easy to be a parent, but these days it seems more difficult than ever before.  While we do the normal activities surrounding Mother’s Day, the brunches, flowers, cards, and gifts, we should take a moment to reflect on the sacrifices made by all of these women to provide the nurture and care needed to raise children, both in our own childhoods and those of today and tomorrow as well.

Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments section, but for now I’ll leave you with this sonnet from Christina Rosetti on mothers:

Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome
Has many sonnets: so here now shall be
One sonnet more, a love sonnet, from me
To her whose heart is my heart’s quiet home,
To my first Love, my Mother, on whose knee
I learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;
Whose service is my special dignity,
And she my loadstar while I go and come
And so because you love me, and because
I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath
Of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:
In you not fourscore years can dim the flame
Of love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws
Of time and change and mortal life and death.

Comments

To all moms here at HA, I wish you a beautiful day.

Sadly my mom died in 2000 and I sure do miss her.
L

letget on May 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Happy Mothers day to ALL Mom’s.

Including Birth Mothers.

upinak on May 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Sadly my mom died in 2000 and I sure do miss her.
L

letget on May 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Happy Mothers Day L. **HUGS**

upinak on May 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Happy Mother`s Day!

ThePrez on May 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Blessed be the Mothers.

Renee on May 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I’m just about to leave for Mother’s Day brunch with my 87 year old mom and 91 year old dad. Am I lucky? You betcha.

Mom’s health is quite challenged – and – Dad’s memory ain’t what it used to be. These days I manage a lot of their finances and health care from 2000 miles away. Nevertheless, I look at it as my opportunity to “give back” a little of the nurturing, love and devotion that they have generously bestowed upon me for over 60 years.

Thank you, Mom & Dad! And Happy Mom’s Day to all the other moms who read HotAir!

pbundy on May 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Happy Mothers Day! A little something for all the Moms here at HA. Hope you have the loveliest of days. ; )

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I feel better now. I didn’t like having to post this wish on the last thread. ; )

Bmore on May 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

upinak on May 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Thank you. That was very nice of you.
L

letget on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Happy Mother’s Day to all. My mom died in 2006. To all those with moms treasure her while you still have her with you.

atxcowgirl on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

letget on May 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

It is hard to lose a parent. I know.

upinak on May 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

My mom raised my siblings and I, all ten of us, basically on her own, and we always made sure to make Mothers Day extra special for her. She passed away last year.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there.

changer1701 on May 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Happy Mother’s Day….
“Including Ann Romney who has never worked a day in her life.” – Hilary Rosen

Electrongod on May 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thanks Ed,

Happy Mother’s Day All!

Dr Evil on May 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

4 weeks ago, I suffered a mild heart attack and needed a quad bypass. My 89 y/o mother made the 3 hour flight to come be with me for 5 days while in the hospital.

Happy Mother’s Day Mom, I love you!

Markvike on May 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

God bless mothers for their patient endurance, for their persistent prayers, for their precious faith. “Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs 31:10.

These are the virtues of all of the mothers I know, including of course, my own mother, who passed away 21 years ago this month. I miss her everyday.

Happy Mother’s Day and God Bless to all moms.
YOU TRULY ARE WORTH MORE THAN RUBIES.

EternalVigilance on May 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Happy Mothers day to all of you out there!

xplodeit on May 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Happy Mothers Day y’all! :) L, I lost my Mom in 1988…she was only 55 yo. I feel your loss and all here who have lost their Moms. While you have them, take care of them, love them, listen to them, hear them….and VISIT them. My son lives in Buffalo, NY, my daughter lives in Oakland, CA and my youngest son still lives here in Houston…at least I have one here to take me to dinner! ;)

sicoit on May 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I am a HAPPY mother today. I,along with a loving husband, through good and bad times have raised two beautiful daughters. They are loving, giving, intelligent, independent people that I am very proud of. Who could ask for anything more! Family is everything.

Barred on May 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

This is my second year without my mother to honor for Mother’s Day. She died last year on May 6th, a week before Mother’s Day. I will honor her memory by placing flowers on her grave. I’ll also be visiting the grave of my best friend’s mother, who died about four years ago, and was my “second mother.” I miss them both so much.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers here, and hope the lucky guys here who are married to and/or are the sons of special mothers treat them to a wonderful day. God bless all.

theotherone on May 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Happy Mother’s day!

ladyingray on May 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Happy Mother’s Day to all (even to the very special “muthers” here at Hot Air! lol).

This is my first double. Mother and grandmother. It only gets better… <3

Fallon on May 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms on Hot Air!

dogsoldier on May 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Happy Mother’s Day everybody!

Naturally Curly on May 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

pbundy on May 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Yes, you are lucky. Cherish them. You have it exactly right about the chance to pay back some nurturing. I’m in the same situation – 2,000 miles away, and my folks are about 10 years younger than yours, and the whole family is trying to get them to move because they are starting to have a hard time making it alone.

I wish they were here so I could go check on them a couple times a week. It’s an honor to take care of elderly parents.

cane_loader on May 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM

A Mother’s Love

by Michael O. Adesanya

There are times only when a Mother’s love
Can understand our tears,
Can soothe our disappointments
And calm all our fears.

There are times when only a Mother’s Love
Can share the joy we feel
When something we’ve dreamed about
Quite suddenly is real.

There are times when only a Mother’s faith
Can help on life’s way
And inspire in us the confidence
We need from day to day.

For a Mother’s heart and a Mother’s faith
And a Mother’s steadfast love
Were fashioned by the Angels
And sent from God above

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Happy Mothers’ Day to all Moms!!

CW on May 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

My mother passed a few years ago at the age of 87. She had a challenging life (medical troubles, a difficult husband) but was an incredibly good and strong person.

I do not miss her. Her spirit and teachings still touch me every day of my life. I know she lives in God’s care. She watched our daughter every workday for ten years; after five sons, she finally ‘raised’ a daughter of her own – at the request of my wife (the two of them were very close).

My daughter misses her so much but the rest of the family has only to look at her to see her grandmother’s spirit living on.

May everyone enjoy this day to cherish the mothers in their life.

If your mother has passed on, remember the best of your relationship with her in honor of her memory.

May God grant you peace and joy on this day.

Pol

PolAgnostic on May 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Thanks,

I’m a proud mother to two wonderful, wild, fun, intelligent boys. One of whom is special-needs (high-functioning autistic, but we always figure he’s just his own person). Becoming a mother has been frightening and wonderful, all at the same time. My kids made me grow the F up. And growing up helped me become the woman I am today.

Call your mothers, guys…

Sekhmet on May 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Lost my Mom 5 years ago next week. This one’s for you, Ma! She was a lifelong Democrat, but left the Party in disgust in 2004 after seeing Mikey Moore sitting in the V.I.P. Box with Peanut Carter at the DNC Convention.

Hey Ed, I hope you or AP do a Mother’s Day thread about today’s WaPo Mother’s Day Campaign Ad for O’bama, about Stanley Ann Dunham.

It’s a laugh riot.

Del Dolemonte on May 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Being a mom has been the best thing I have ever done.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

My youngest son’s eloquent Facebook tribute.

I’ll say this again, my mother has taken me to metal shows & been to every shithole bar in this town to see me play music. She’s exponentially cooler than your mother.

Kind of funny when “cool” was never a goal and it fact the opposite of what I was working towards.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I lost my Mom in 2002, thanks for this….

bobeast on May 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

My youngest son’s eloquent Facebook tribute.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Ummmhh?

He got it right … his mom rocks!

PolAgnostic on May 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks everyone! Just came back from a lovely brunch with my family, back together as son is home from his first year at college. Putting my feet up the rest of the day and enjoying some beautiful weather.

rockmom on May 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I lost my folks, ten days apart in 1995, I still miss them everyday. At least I was old enough to know how blessed I had been my entire life.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers and grandmothers on Hot Air!

I’m coming up on the 28th anniversary of my mom’s passing. She died very suddenly one summer day in 1984 and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss her and think about her.

She had a few challenges to cope with (besides me :)); she married a bit later in life, had me, then became a youngish widow two years later. She spoke of my father rarely, and when she did, it was almost always with a catch in her voice; she never had the heart to remarry. We ended up moving in with her younger sister and husband. My aunt was unable to have children, and she was very much a second mother, while my uncle became a wonderful substitute father. So I grew up having one more parent than the legal limit. :)

Thanks to you, Ed, for giving us this forum to express our thanks.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Your and your mom’s story is both sad and inspiring. This is what family is all about, thanks for sharing.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there! I am so blessed to still have Mom with me, although Dad crossed that old River Jordan in 2005. We used to wear roses on Mothers Day: red if Mom was still on earth, white if she wasn’t. But if you’re here, Mom lives in your heart. Red American Beauties all across the land!

J.E. Dyer on May 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

You’re quite welcome, Cindy, and my condolences to you for your parents. That had to be even more difficult losing them both within such a short time.

You are absolutely right — it is what family is all about.
We were very close and as a kid, I know I didn’t fully appreciate what my parents went through, but I look back on it now with utter gratitude and thankfulness.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Happy Mothers Day to all moms!!..:):):)

PS..Thank you Mom!!..This one is for you and all Mothers!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Happy Mothers Day to you!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Thank you, kind Sir! Are y’all doing anything special?

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

My mom passed away in 2005 at age 82 and like you, not a day goes by either that I don’t miss her. She died a year after my brother and two years before my father. It was a triple whammy in a short period of time. Sometimes, when I really have something on my mind, I go out to the cemetery and talk to her, knowing exactly what she would tell me. To all of you who still have one or both parents, treasure them and if you can, get a video of them telling their life story. You’ll never regret it.

TxAnn56 on May 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Thank you, kind Sir! Are y’all doing anything special?

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I went and visited my Mother yesterday..Fixing to go vist Mother-in-Law today!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thank you, kind Sir! Are y’all doing anything special?

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

How about you..Do you have plans??..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’ve lost my mother in law to, I really loved her, she was a super lady.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Oddly enough I am catching up on stuff that I’ve been too tired to do while working. Mom stuff. I’ll probably draw the line at cooking but I’ll have to think of something for dinner.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I’ve lost my mother in law to, I really loved her, she was a super lady.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I am sad for you..I love my Mother-in-Law!..She is a very cool person and a excellent cook!!..Almost as good as my Mother!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Sounds good!!..Enjoy your day!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Happy Mother’s day moms out there in Hot Air land..you all are appreciated for all that you do for us..God blessed us all with mother’s

sadsushi on May 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM

At 46 I lost my mom and became an adoptive mom of a 4 month old beautiful Romanian son. It’s been 21 years since; I miss my mom every day and am thankful every day for the blessing of my son. Though they never ‘met’, I’ve felt my mom all along the journey of motherhood. You never really lose your mom…and for that I am so thankful.
Happy Mother’s Day all you beautiful Moms!

msactionjackson on May 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Happy Mother’s Day all! Just got up from a long nap after brunch and Mass with my brood. There is nothing this side of Paradise that fills the heart quite the way gazing upon the face of your child does, whether you just brought them home from the hospital for the first time, or while you enjoy a meal with them 23 years later. Thanks Be to God for the blessings of their lives and the joy of Motherhood. I wish all of you joy today.

txmomof6 on May 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Thanks for making me cry Ed, on my first MD without my dear Mum who died last August. As for my daughters, well, I just hope their children treat them love and respect.

fullogas on May 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

***************** HAPPY MOTHERS DAY ********************

To Military Moms,with love and humour!

A Gift for Mother’s Day
***********************

Just in time for Mother’s Day– forget the flowers and all that, here’s a timeless gift for all those moms who pull extra duty trying to get the little ones in the rack, night after night…

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Happy Mothers Day to all moms!!..:):):)

PS..Thank you Mom!!..This one is for you and all Mothers!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Dire Straits:Never heard of it,now I have,thanks Dire,its a beauty
and an excellent choice:)

canopfor on May 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

To Mom’s everywhere : XOXOXOXOXOX

SMACKRUNNER on May 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Spawn graduates from high school next Sunday-so I’m about to transition from being the mom of child…into the mom of an adult.
Cool.
Happy Mom’s Day all.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM

My youngest is 28, I think adult is a relative term.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

TxAnn56 on May 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

My sympathies to you, TxAnn56 for the loss of your parents and brother. I know what you mean about going to the cemetery to talk to your mom. I have done that at times myself. I also have a photo of her on my nightstand, an environmental portrait shot of her at work as one of the secretaries at the high school I attended and it is comforting beyond belief. She had a big smile on her face, no doubt because the photographer asked her to, but I can also see a warmth there that demonstrated how much she really enjoyed her job. Some months after she died, the assistant principal and the other secretaries had a memorial plaque made, with a pastel drawing of the scene my mom looked out upon every day she was at work — the courtyard in the middle of the school grounds — and hung it in the main office.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Been gone most of the day…and said Happy Mother’s Day on the early threads…now that they have one….Mom’s ROCK!

KOOLAID2 on May 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM