Putting the bully into the bully pulpit?

posted at 12:01 pm on May 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit e-mailed me this today, calling it “a perfect end to Bully Week.”  While the media ties itself in knots over an alleged incident of bullying in 1965 involving Mitt Romney, the Wall Street Journal’s Kimberly Strassel reports on how ending up on Barack Obama’s enemies list brings out the bullies on the Left.  Frank VanderSloot donated $1 million to the super-PAC supporting Mitt Romney, Restore our Future, for which the Obama campaign explicitly and personally attacked VanderSloot.  Now, oppo researchers are trying to troll through VanderSloot’s divorce records:

Here’s what happens when the president of the United States publicly targets a private citizen for the crime of supporting his opponent.

Frank VanderSloot is the CEO of Melaleuca Inc. The 63-year-old has run that wellness-products company for 26 years out of tiny Idaho Falls, Idaho. Last August, Mr. VanderSloot gave $1 million to Restore Our Future, the Super PAC that supports Mitt Romney.

Three weeks ago, an Obama campaign website, “Keeping GOP Honest,” took the extraordinary step of publicly naming and assailing eight private citizens backing Mr. Romney. Titled “Behind the curtain: a brief history of Romney’s donors,” the post accused the eight of being “wealthy individuals with less-than-reputable records.” Mr. VanderSloot was one of the eight, smeared particularly as being “litigious, combative and a bitter foe of the gay rights movement.”

Within days, an attorney for an oppo-research outfit began sending requests for court records in cases involving VanderSloot’s company and his four divorces.  The attorney, Michael Wolf, had until recently worked for the Democratic majority on the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations.  It doesn’t take much to put two and two together, especially after Rachel Maddow and others on the Left began attacking VanderSloot as a “gay bashing thug.”

What does this tell us?  It tells us that the Obama campaign wants to go after donors that support Mitt Romney in a very personal way.  In the words of now-former EPA administrator Al Armendariz, their general philosophy is to find a few offenders and crucify them as an example to the rest.  It’s the kind of bare-knuckled bullying that should worry voters if a candidate for President engaged in it.  It’s breathtaking and Orwellian when this kind of activity takes place on behalf of a sitting President.

So what’s more relevant to this election — an alleged cruel prank from 1965 by Romney, or the kind of bullying taking place by Obama’s supporters against his opponents in 2012?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What scares me are those weeks between the election and Inauguration Day, when this petulant narcissist throws the granddaddy of all temper tantrums.

CurtZHP on May 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

There is a reason why I call him Obama Hussein Odinga .
It’s time his association with his Kenyan family and the massacre he unleashed there, exposed to the American people .
And it is still going on there

burrata on May 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Private citizens being hounded by a sitting President?

And rank-and-file Democrats are perfectly OK with this?

coldwarrior on May 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hounding? How about murder?

They don’t even seem particularly bothered that the FBI director isn’t quite sure whether private citizens can be assassinated by the government in this country.

de rigueur on May 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I remember how it struck me, on Jan. 19, 2009, how we were living the last day under a president who seemed to have a pretty good grasp of protecting America, despite his fiscal faults, and how we were about to take a national high-dive into a pool without looking down, trusting that there was water in the pool.

Should 0bama lose, the day after Election Day, I will feel that we have just walked out onto a tightrope across a 2-1/2-month chasm, without checking the knots.

God help us, either way.

cane_loader on May 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

A lame-duck 0bama is going to be the most dangerous thing that America has seen since 9/11.

Well cane_loader, either he’ll be a 2 1/2 month lame duck or a 4 year and 2 1/2 month lame duck. He’s dangerous either way.

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yes. We are in the scariest time in America, excepting 9/11, in my lifetime. I feel like a passenger on a bus whose driver sas gone nuts and floored the accelerator while swerving all over the road and screaming at the passengers over the mic.

We are living the movie, “Speed.”

cane_loader on May 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

All we can do now is hope that enough Americans have come to their senses to end this national nightmare. I don’t care if he loses by one vote. He’s got to go. The pessimistic view of America that he has given so many patriots is personally depressing. Feeling like your homeland is falling down around your ears is no way to live. We have a choice in six months.

cane_loader on May 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

CurtZHP on May 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Amen with others on this. I remember the Clinton tantrum, including reviewing troops after he had already been succeeded, and the trashing of the White House by the leaving staff.

Even worse, the signing of so many executive orders, from the environment to who-knows-what, for the deliberate purpose of forcing President Romney to deal with this flotsam when he gets in office.

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yep! And I’d rather give him no more time than possible!

itsspideyman on May 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

+1000.

Nobody I know is happy or feels secure and confident anymore. And, while the President is one who shall not be named or discussed in most conversations, there’s no doubt that the feelings of oppression and gloom that pervade my universe have everything to do with the tone set by this tyrant.

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Be optimistic. There are a whole lot of people and businesses that are doing their dead level best to make sure their financial outlook is as good as it can be while waiting out the election. There are problems all over the world and once Obama and his policies are gone this will be the best place to prosper.

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

President War-on-the Middle class better get busy.

More pandering and desperation from the Evil Empire please.

(que Star Wars Emperor Arrival music from “Return of the Jedi”)

PappyD61 on May 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yep! And I’d rather give him no more time than possible!

itsspideyman on May 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

absolutely! we ain’t getting any younger!

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Wait I’ll do it for you….

Just imagine the rebels are the Tea Party/Middle Class (not much of a stretch).

PappyD61 on May 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’ve begun discussing 0bama more and more in public… referring to how the drilling moratorium has hurt the economy, etc., etc. I’ve been cleverly working it in but not dwelling, so that it registers with the listener, but I don’t come across as a rabid partisan.

I’ll tell you what – I’ve only heard one person defend 0bama, and that was a 27-ish dude working at Sears at the height of the Fluke f*k, who said he would never vote for a Republican because they would tell him what to do in his bedroom.

Other than that – agreement that 0bama has to go, or silence.

In 2009 his fans would have leaped to his defense.

cane_loader on May 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Same here. I live in an area where unemployment has always been higher than the national average. Despite that people cope, manage to smile and carry on. These days there is a constant sense of gloom and hopelessness.

DanMan on May 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I agree. Despite the situation I referenced above I’m looking a year forward and making plans. Getting through the next months will be difficult but much the same as the last 4 years. Once this despicable administration is gone we’ll begin to get back on track. And we will do it.

Cody1991 on May 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carried his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself.
Cicero

My husband thinks this applies to van jones. I think it applies to obama and his minions running this government.

Bambi on May 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Obama is a malignant, megalomaniacal creep. After President Romney takes office I wouldn’t put it past Obamna to set up something like “The Office of the President-Emeritus” or some other fake post-presidency gimmick like he did before he was inaugurated.

RobertE on May 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

OT: From an AP piece today:

He drew big cheers from supporters at Seattle’s historic Paramount Theater when he said his vision for a better America applies to everyone, “no matter what you look like, no matter what your last name, no matter who you love.”

Translation:

What you look like: Black
Your last name: Obama
Who you love: Yourself

Paul-Cincy on May 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Why are we training Russian troops at Ft. Carson?

Akzed on May 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So does ours. We want everyone to have a job, and we want every child to grow up free from the burden of massive national debt.

Obama’s vision is that we are all equally miserable and poor.

rockmom on May 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

“Argue with your neighbors, get in their face.”*

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun…”

Bully much?

* From the start of the clip: “If you want the next four years looking like the last eight then I’m not your candidate…” And if we wanted them looking worse?

de rigueur on May 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Obama’s vision is that we are all equally miserable and poor.

rockmom on May 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

And his wife won’t let us eat cake, either.

BobMbx on May 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Semi-tangential:

War on Dogs = failure
War on Wimmenses = miserable failure
War on Bullies = festering pile of elephant afterbirth

..auspicious move FORWARD for the SCOAMF

The War Planner on May 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

All real Americans are on obama’s enemies list.

Pork-Chop on May 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Tricky Dick Obama

Bitter Clinger on May 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

..I’m not a crook!

The War Planner on May 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Implosion of WaPo story

Howdy, my brother in arms, TWP.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Implosion of WaPo story

Howdy, my brother in arms, TWP.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

..hey, Bro, how you be today? You want a real chiller? Lookit de regueur’s pair of clips — especially the second one:

It is really creepy.

The War Planner on May 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Cicero

Bambi on May 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Not to scare you.

But I worry Mitt is their most deadly secret weapon.

Steveangell on May 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Where are the trolls?

JPeterman on May 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

…jerking…s o m e t h i n g ?

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

If I were going to libel someone, I would probably not pick a bunch of guys with a lot of extra cash laying around. Just sayin’.

Smartest People in the Room.

NoLeftTurn on May 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Do you all remember how the Chrysler Auto Private investors were bullied and threatened if they do not let go there demand to recoup their investment of $ 7 billion (!! Billions !!). How they were threatened to be destroy by there minions in Press and Media!! I remember reading Michael Barone’s blog in Town Hall. He called the tactic as “Thuggery”

After BHO and his Minions leave the White House after his defeat in November election President Romney should have the whole white House be Dog sniffed for hidden explosives!! sorry but I will not trust the entry in WH without this measure.

deeshant48 on May 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

RobertE on May 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I agree with pretty much everything posted,… I have never feared a sitting president before, would actually attempt a coup to retain his power… I do now.

Your notion is the most likely, when he gets his bony a*s tossed on the sidewalk.. he will not quietly retire.. his need to be the coolest kid, have the rock star status…

He’ll attempt to be the spoiler in every national issue, making it as always, all about him, the only person that matters..

In the end, he’ll destroy himself with the public, because he just cannot stop being the boy king with a me me, me… LOOK AT ME complex.

Even in the worst part of the cold war,.. I didn’t fear for my country like I do now.. not even when we were at DEFCON 4 after Mr. Reagan was shoot.. and I spent the night on a post outside a nuclear missile base in Wyoming.

Not much scares me.. but the possible mayhen Obama could create in a rage when he’s roundly rejected.

mark81150 on May 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

TWP, doing ‘fine’ watching the world go to hell, while the ‘smart’ one parties in Hollywood and today in NY, the media claiming he’s too smart for us dummies…

That’s exactly what Barack Obama said he would do to counter Republican attacks “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night. “Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”

Funny part is that they can’t even fight with words. Everything is blowing right back into their faces. It’s almost entertaining to watch. It’s gon’ be a long hot summer.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’m old enough to remember the unraveling of the 70′s with Carter, remember the inflation, gas prices, the interest rates topping 20%. I can remember the genuine fear for my future as I left college.

Ronald Reagan gave me a feeling of, if not security or confidence, he gave me courage. He made me feel that if I met the future with bravery and faith, that I would be rewarded for my efforts. I was, and he forever has a special place in my heart.

I don’t know if Mitt will give me that; I didn’t know that Reagan would give me that in the 80′s. But I knew one thing, Carter COULDN’T. And I feel the same way about Obama.

I think every American deep down reaches for his best when times are worst, if the reward is a better future. The man in office inspires none of that. Maybe Mitt won’t, but I’d rather have the uncertainty of failure than the certainty.

itsspideyman on May 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Where are the trolls?

JPeterman on May 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Kind of wonder if one got banned after yesterday, going totally off the deep end.

MNHawk on May 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Rush said this guy is considering giving the superpac another million dollars. I like it – go after mittens financial backers and they just give more to Mitt.

Zomcon JEM on May 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Please, the Obama media will decide what’s relevant to this election.

SukieTawdry on May 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

So am I. I remember. I was in high school and I remember the fear of a new war starting and of the draft being reinstituted during the hostage crisis in the winter of 1980.
But there was never quite this level of trepidation that the C.I.C. was deliberately malicious like there is now. Inept, incompetent, yes. But not malicious.
Now is different.

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

His auntie Zeituni is bullying the system, in the last month of her nephew’s glory. What a circus we’re witnessing.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Remember when Obama’s Auntie Zeituni explained in a TV interview that the welfare she was receiving was appropriate because the United States is a “free country“?

Auntie Zeituni describing her gratitude when Elias stated this country has “…given you so much”: “So. It’s a free country under God.” Auntie Zeituni is working with a skewed concept of the term “free.”

This still makes my blood boil!

wren on May 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Now is different.

Right Mover on May 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Amen Right Mover. Well spoken.

itsspideyman on May 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

MNHawk on May 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Which one?

cptacek on May 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

If I was a betting person, I’d put big dollars on a hunch that this story about the bullying from yet another Obama-campaigner bully is the mere tip o’ the bullying iceberg.

Remember that line of dialogue accredited to Bill Clinton in THE QUEEN, where Clinton told the (then new) UK Prime Minister that “these people play rough” as to (then) newly elected President Bush with V.P. Cheney?

Well, Obama and “people” play ghoulish. They’re monsters. Have no ethics, no respect for others, no values that most people could ever recognize as approaching decency.

I repeat: I’m betting this one instance of bullying by the Obama campaign is but the tip o’ the iceberg.

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yesterday, the top story all day on Memorandum was “Romney bullied a gay guy.” Today, the top story all day is “Romney bullying story falls apart.” We aren’t in 2008 anymore, Barack.

Rational Thought on May 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Sorry, film I had in mind as to that dialogue was titled, “THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP” — story about UK’s new Prime Minister, Tony Blair, with the Monarch, Queen Elizabeth.

Reason for my mix-up: same actor played “Tony Blair” in both this movie, THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP, as he did in THE QUEEN.

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Rational Thought on May 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

But interesting that the media can’t bring itself to report on THE REAL story — and anything about Barack Obama, his past, present, misdeeds, ruinations.

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM

MNHawk on May 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Somebody Tweeted this:

1972: Washington Post reporters take down the President’s men

2012: Washington Post reporters ARE the President’s men

rockmom on May 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I now question the veracity of the WAPO reporting as to Watergate — among other issues.

Media that is hitched to Obama is hitched to scummy standards if standards at all. WAPO’s made it’s bed with him, same as NBC/MSNBC have (among others) — judge them by the company they keep.

So how much of the whole Nixon scandal was simply hyperbole by WAPO and other Democrats? Because we know what they did to the US using Vietnam and our military…

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

And Obama donors get a pass in the me-meeeeedia. Our local paper barely mentioned a fundraiser at a “private waterfront home” in Madrona. But?

“President Obama’s scheduled Thursday swing through Seattle will include a $35,800-per-couple fundraiser at the home of Ann and Bruce Blume, according to an online invitation from the president’s reelection campaign.

Bruce Blume is the founder and CEO of The Blume Company, a commercial real estate firm. Ann Blume is secretary of the board for SightLife, a nonprofit dedicated to ending corneal blindness, and serves on boards for Seattle University and University of Washington.”

Not 99 percenters. I bet if the media dug around, they could find some skeletons in their closet. Think it will happen? Me neither.

starboardhelm on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Not to mention the other donors — the ones who served pizza “on silver platters” as fundraiser for Obama (or are going to, don’ t know the date): the owners of LITTLE CEASAR’S PIZZA (“pizza pizza”) (wife of owner couple, Denise Illitch, a big Obama bundler/donor).

I know I’ll never buy one of their pies ever again.

Hey, has George Clooney gone back home to Italy yet?

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Remember when FOX ratings jumped when Obama attacked their very existence as a news source?

Every time Obama singles out conservative contributors, we need to support a reverse boycott. Frank VanderSloot, CEO of Melaleuca Inc, is now singled out. See his product line at http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/ProductStore.aspx I’m looking at their Sunscreen, Product No. 2144

Go to the site and buy something. Let Obama see that his bullying backfires into increased prosperity for his targets.

waukee on May 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Hey, has George Clooney gone back home to Italy yet?

Lourdes on May 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

maybe he’ll follow into Eduardo Saverin’s steps (the Facebook co-founder) and gives up his US citizenship, for tax purposes lol :-)…either way, that’s probably the last time he fund raised for Barkey :-)…

jimver on May 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Unbelievable, unless you saw the attacks dogs mauling Joe the Plumber. Then…quite believable, indeed.

Obama is a street punk who hires mob muscle to protect him.

Jaibones on May 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Yes, build that death star and start destroying planets, stupid emperor Obama. You know how this ends, right?

ray on May 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Obama is an asshole plain and simple.

Sherman1864 on May 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Obama is low down dirty scum.

Sherman1864 on May 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

All one need do is to see how Obama reiterated his support for gay marriage ahead of his Hollywood fund raising trip.

DevilsPrinciple on May 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The initial line of bull$hit was that Obama will use his presidential powers to go after donors. Of course that didn’t pan out like many other crazy conspiracy theories of the right.

Now there’s a new goal post.

lester on May 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Yep, finally a troll shows his face.

WordsMatter on May 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

But it seems So-o-o-o ronery.
Poor little thing.

Solaratov on May 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Not to scare you.

But I worry Mitt is their most deadly secret weapon.

Steveangell on May 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Nah. Ronpaul would be far more dangerous to Freedom in America than Romney…..or obama.

Solaratov on May 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

waukee on May 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Thanks for that link. I’m checking out their supplements…especially vision-related.

Solaratov on May 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Obama has field tested (and crashed) many campaign slogans, but the one that will stick will be a simple description of his tactics, since the man has proven time and time again that he has no class:
#noclasswarfare

CitizenEgg on May 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Sounds like how Obama became senator. Get a friendly judge to unseal the divorce records of Sen. Ryan, despite the opposition of he and his ex-wife.

One of these Pac’s needs to spend millions to get Obama’s college records and anything else they can get their hands on.

Rbastid on May 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Soon Obama will be talking in tongues. You heard it here!

claudius on May 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM