Family of alleged Romney victim angry over exploitation of story

posted at 8:41 am on May 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The family of the eight-years-deceased alleged victim of a cruel prank by a teenaged Mitt Romney reacted angrily to the Washington Post story yesterday — but not for the reasons one might imagine.  Calling the Washington Post story “factually inaccurate,” the sisters of the late John Lauber lashed out at the Post for using him to “further a political agenda” (via Ed Driscoll at Instapundit):

The older sister of Mitt Romney’s former high school classmate said she has no knowledge of any bullying incident involving her brother and the GOP presidential candidate.

Christine Lauber of South Bend, Ind., had not seen the Washington Post’s story that described an incident when Mitt Romney bullied her brother, but said she was aware of the story. The incident centered around Romney allegedly holding the scissors to help cut the hair of John Lauber, who was presumed to be gay and who had long hair.

Neither of his sisters had heard of the incident from their brother, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  That’s not their main complaint, though:

Betsy Lauber, one of John Lauber’s three sisters, spoke with ABC News Tuesday night regarding the accuracy of the story.

“The family of John Lauber is releasing a statement saying the portrayal of John is factually incorrect and we are aggrieved that he would be used to further a political agenda. There will be no more comments from the family,” she said.

Christine Lauber echoed her sister:

She added she and her sisters will likely put out a statement later via a family attorney.

“If he were still alive today, he would be furious [about the story],” she said with tears in her eyes.

ABC notes that both sisters were quoted in the WaPo article.  It seems that they were unaware of the real subject matter, or at least the way the Post intended to use their recollections of their brother.  It might be interesting to see what else an attorney might have to say about the matter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Kinda like stomping frogs in a bucket, ain’t it?

lol

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Well, that’s an interesting mental picture (that I could have done without!)

Night Owl on May 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

WaPo-twice as funny and half as accurate as the Onion.

Rusty Allen on May 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Kinda like stomping frogs in a bucket, ain’t it?

lol

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Well, that’s an interesting mental picture (that I could have done without!)

Night Owl on May 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ok, shoot some fish in a barrel, if you prefer. :)

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM

UltimateBob on May 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I understand their belated outrage. Too bad they couldn’t figure out sooner that WaPo+election year+decades old Romney story=family name used and abused for Dems’ nefarious purposes. Kind of a no-brainer for anyone paying a modicum of attention to reality.

Christien on May 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Obama bullied a black girl in highschool. See video, in his own words.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Obama bullied a black girl in highschool. See video, in his own words.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I read that somewhere yesterday. I am finding that it is getting harder and harder to mute that voice, clips are coming faster than I can get to the remote. After three + years of muting him, I forgot what a whiny, phony, boring speaker he is.

Night Owl on May 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

WaPo? Political agenda? I’m SHOCKED!

GarandFan on May 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

why do any conservatives buy WaPo, or the NYT, or Time, or any news media that persists in left wing lies?

Christian Conservative on May 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Well, I subscribe to the WaPo but may well cancel if they run more of these hit pieces. I get the paper for two reasons-

I like doing the crossword the old fashioned way.
The plastic sleeve it comes in makes a great bag for picking up the dog’s poop.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

If I were Romney I would be vindictive and it wouldn’t help. I would have my people dig up everything I could on Jason Harowitz and I would make him wish he were never born.

magicbeans on May 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Question: If the sisters never heard of the incident from their brother, how can they say the WaPo article is “incorrect”?

Don’t mind me. I just naturally ask these silly kinds of questions after reading this article.

timberline on May 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Probably because the WaPo article’s portrayal of Lauber as a weak, mentally challenged failure haunted his entire life by a traumatic incident in his youth that directly led to his early death from “liver cancer” (??? AIDS? Alcoholism?) is a monstrous distortion.

Mr. Arkadin on May 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I like doing the crossword the old fashioned way.
The plastic sleeve it comes in makes a great bag for picking up the dog’s poop.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

You can always buy a box of 38 1 gallon size Zip Lock plastic bags for the price of one, maybe two, WaPo rags.

Think big, nomad.

timberline on May 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’m confident that Obama’s Chicago Ops are investigating the Lauber sisters right now. Talk about bullies – Axelrod Astroturf is the prime suspect.

Philly on May 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

timberline on May 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Probably because WaPoop implied the man was gay, and he wasn’t.

cptacek on May 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Obama bullied a black girl in highschool. See video, in his own words.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Nah, that was just a “compression”.

Mr Galt on May 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Probably because WaPoop implied the man was gay, and he wasn’t.

cptacek on May 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

This^

I don’t think Romney cut the guy’s hair because he was gay, and I don’t think the guy who got his hair cut was gay. This is all from the creative imagination of progressive liberals who think 90% of the world is gay, including all the Founding Fathers, Abraham Lincoln, and Batman….

William Eaton on May 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

This incident happened in 1965, before the Summer of Love, the hippies, and Easy Rider popularized long hair on men. In my understanding of the era, in 1965 long hair on men often evoked precisely the response that Lauber’s long blond locks did: accusations of effeminacy, threats of a haircut, and sometimes the bullying haircut itself. I’m not excusing what Romney and the other five men (his accusers) did, but incidents like this were not uncommon prior to 1967-1968.

Lauber hardly sounds like a sissy to me. You’ve got to be really tough in your own way to pull something like that in 1965. Lauber snuck off and smoked cigs, and was tossed for it, after some miserable little suck up narc’d him out. In fact, the little narc who got Lauber thrown out of school appears more reprehensible to me than Romney and the gang, who all appear to have regretted their actions.

Lauber is very interesting to me. He seems to have had some balls, in his own way, and to have lived his life as he wished, even if it wasn’t in the approved “success” mode. No wonder his family is appalled at the WaPo portrait of a wimpy loser.

Mr. Arkadin on May 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Why hasn’t this blog covered THIS story:

williamg on May 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Where did this go? It isn’t in the original story any more.

tbrosz on May 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hey, you gotta have a few sacrifices on your way to building the Progressive Paradise.

tom on May 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I thought David Axelrod and Obama were brilliant? Do they just dig dirt and then dump it on WaPo to print, without doing any checking? They sent Hilary Rosen out to insult stay-at-home moms, now they libel a dead man. Do they not consider the consequences of what they are doing? Obama is now learning that more than a few Americans are not as gullible and ignorant as the residents where he engaged in his community activist rabble-rousing.

Colony14 on May 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Interesting. So did this even happen at all? Seems like his family would remember something like that.

Also makes that MSNBC guest seem even pettier for assuming Romney’s lying when he says he doesn’t remember it.

Seems likely that Romney made a comment and maybe even joked about holding the guy down but didn’t actually do it. That would explain why the source wasn’t present for the event but is somehow “sure” it happened.

Esthier on May 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Did you read what you quoted me as saying?

I said, good move. I just gave Romney the credit you say he needs to be given on that one.

You just agreed with what you quoted me as saying while saying I “missed the point”.

Uh, no, I did not “miss the point”, I made the point.

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

This is way too late & a dollar short (got pulled back to work for a long while since this a.m.) but I quoted you by mistake — I meant to quote another poster. I hope you see this.

Dark Star on May 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Dark Star on May 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Ok, no big deal.

That did confuse me a bit, now it makes much more sense. lol

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Ok, no big deal.

That did confuse me a bit, now it makes much more sense. lol

Brian1972 on May 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for understanding. I am sorry. I was distracted when I posted & somehow cut & pasted your post instead of one I meant to & didn’t even read my post before I hit submit. Guess maybe I should just work at work, huh?

I’m really glad you saw my apology post though.

Dark Star on May 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM