Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on May 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit noted in his post about Barack Obama’s endorsement of legalizing gay marriage that a few people on Twitter picked up on this rather crass, self-involved reference to the armed forces:

Whose behalf?  They’re not fighting for Barack Obama.  They are fighting on behalf of the United States of America.  They may have Barack Obama as their Commander in Chief, but they’re not Obama’s private army.  It’s the kind of Freudian slip that gives people a little insight into Obama’s arrogance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here’s the 36 second breakdown of video: 6 self mentions!

I–my–I’ve–for me, personally–for me–I.

qestout on May 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Having served in the army under Kennedy and Johnson, I guarantee none of that BS ever came out of the mouth of either and they were Democrats!

kenny on May 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

GWB would NEVER have said it.

Not even as a “gaffe.” Exactly the point.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on May 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Bill OReilly with his lectures on respecting the office of Prez, reminds one that this punk doesn’t. He defiles it on a daily basis.

kenny on May 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Honestly, I’m not sure he meant it that way. It sounds more like “they’re fighting on my behalf”…as an American, not as Obama’s own personal soldiers.

PerceptorII on May 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I heard “fighting on my behalf” as “fighting under my orders”…Go ahead and take the GWB test. If Bush had said this, it would not be a problem either.

b4its2lt on May 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

**************

Using the personal “my” instead of the general “our” makes sense from the structure of the sentiment. And I would have no problem with it…under normal circumstances, and considered by itself.

BUT.

This is the President we’re talking about. A position that traditionally has been very careful to not speak of “my” when referencing the military.

And this is Obama we’re talking about. A man who consistently, relentlessly speaks this way AND spits in the face of Congress and the Supreme Court if they don’t fall in with his desires.

From the man who went to Libya on executive whim, yes — “fighting on MY behalf” is scary indeed.

sistrum on May 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

When I heard him say, “on my behalf,” i was dumbstruck. The words that stand out most to me are those said “on belhalf of a grateful nation.” Things must have changed a lot in the last few years.

asouthernbelle on May 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

b4its2lt on May 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

If it had been said by any other American president (or, for that matter, by any normal, non-communist person in the world), it would have been taken as “fighting on behalf of my (*OUR*) freedom and security.
However, obama has shown consistently that HE is the only person who matters to him. It would never occur to obama to consider the American people as co-beneficiaries of the military’s efforts. He probably does believe that he is “inspirational” to our military personnel; and that they are loyal to him rather than to the United States of America.

I don’t typically post here, but I DO NOT FIGHT ON HIS BEHALF!

ErikMcA on May 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM

And from an early 60s VietNam vet, thank you. You make us all proud.

Solaratov on May 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner!
No further entries!
Here’s your OOTW!

gooeylong on May 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“When I think about, ah, those soldiers or airmen or Marines, sailors, who are out there fighting on my behalf … ” B. Hussein Obama

MY Commander-in-Chief was R.M. Nixon. I never once took the oath to HIM, it was to my COUNTRY. And yes, I’d vote for him again in a heartbeat.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

It’s all about the “O” . . .

tpitman on May 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

This one should go down as the gaffe of the year. I’m sure our service men and women will be so glad to know they are now Obama’s Praetorian Guard!

LCT688 on May 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Add this to “You guys make a great photo-op” to the troops in S Korea and his recent “let’s give a shout out to me” in Afghanistan. Occasionally the truth slips out.

No Niks on May 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Indeed.

visions on May 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yes, indeed. And add the callous detachment to the loss of life at Fort Hood. That one still stings.

GWB got many things wrong but his relationship with our military was not one of them.

jazzuscounty on May 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

We simply cannot take another four years of this puffed-up gasbag.

RebeccaH on May 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM