Obama: Sometimes I forget the magnitude of the recession

posted at 7:12 pm on May 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via BuzzFeed, pity our poor media that it was The One who said this and not Romney. The difference is a full day’s worth of breathless coverage of a callous elitist who’s out of touch with America’s economic hardship. Maybe two, unless they get interrupted with a hot story about a teen Mitt beating someone up 50 years ago.

Hopefully he’ll recycle this line at tonight’s $15 million blowout fundraiser at Clooney’s house. I’ll bet that crowd forgets the magnitude of the recession sometimes too. Two clips for you here, one of the gaffe you’ll be seeing from now until November in Romney attack ads and the other of O’s new commercial touting his record on, er, jobs. People have criticized his “Julia” gimmick by claiming his campaign was forced to invent support for his economic approach. Not true. They did find one guy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You haven’t seen nothing yet, jp morgan is going down in flames, you know the messiah put all these regulations so it wouldn’t happen again under his watch.. Now reports are coming in of losing 800 mill to 4 billion.

Obama you going to bail them out as too big to fail again like that success GM who still hasn’t paid us back

Conservative4ev on May 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Jamie Dimon indicated they were increasing their loss position to $ 800 million (from $ 200 million) …

… the only problem is that number represents the losses estimated by close of business today. Tonight/tomorrow the sharks in the market have the opportunity to drive those losses MUCH higher.

The last time there was “blood in the water” between market sessions, Lehman Brothers disappeared over the weekend.

In this case, Jamie “I’ll break the kneecaps of anyone who tries to short my bank*” Dimon is the fellow bleeding in the water.

How does this relate to the thread, you ask?

Lehman begat TARP which begat …

(* – yes, he really did say that in the FRBNY.)

PolAgnostic on May 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

PolAgnostic on May 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

understood

Conservative4ev on May 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

All of you people. YES ALL OF YOU!! disturb me.

never underestimate the power of this farce.

WryTrvllr on May 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

All of you people. YES ALL OF YOU!! disturb me.

never underestimate the power of this farce.

WryTrvllr on May 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM

?

… and …?????

PolAgnostic on May 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Obama: Sometimes I forget the magnitude of the recession

Trust us, we will never forget who prolonged a recession of this magnitude.

coldwarrior on May 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Did He save the auto industry? I thought Ford was doing pretty well all by itself. So what He did was bailout (with tax payer money) a couple of crappy businesses that should’ve gone under so better auto businesses could take their place. No surprise that the auto worker in that video is licking the hand that feeds him.

CVMA-Dredd on May 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Obama:”Sometimes I forget the magnitude of the recession”

arnold z: “Sometimes I forget what an A-holio Obama is”—No not really as I am reminded daily.

arnold ziffel on May 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I’m getting a bad feeling about the economy.

I make most of my income doing internet marketing and PC Support.

Google has just obliterated my business.

They recently released a major algorithym change which attacked me.

I don’t do anything “spammy”, or anything the sites ABOVE me in Google don’t do.

But that’s NOT entirely it.

I think that, ON THE GROUND, it’s much worse than we realize.

We’re SO close to it that it’s become our new normal.

I just don’t have as much money as I used too.

Gas prices, and general inflation is killing me.

It costs me almost $100 just to fill up my truck.

Also you have 30% who basically are terminally underemployed.

Why?

They’ve been unemployed so long they have huge gaps in their employment and they have no references. Ever tried to fill out a job application with a job history that’s so old you can’t even fill it out?

It’s a grim reality out there. These are the people who end up moving back in with their folks or family and have a hard time getting out.

I am one of these poor saps so I had to figure out HOW TO MAKE MONEY without a JOB.

I am now beginning to make a livable income and was doing quite well for about 8 months. But right now things seem to be going downhill and people just have less to spend.

I don’t know if this is the “collapse of 2012″ but I don’t think it would take much for that to begin.

fatlibertarianinokc on May 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Sometimes I forget the magnitude of this guys incompetence. Then, I wake up.

trigon on May 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Please Barry, keep going off teleprompter. Please?

tbear44 on May 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM

I just didn’t believe the recession was real until I read that Hostess was going under and I might not be able to get my Twinkie fix anymore. Dear God, take me now!

Extrafishy on May 11, 2012 at 5:36 AM

fatlibertarianinokc on May 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM

My wife had 25 years working in the mortgage industry, but hasn’t been able to find a full-time job during the whole of the Obama era. She has had to settle for part time office cleaning for the past three+ years. Not a resume enhancer.
We’ve been around awhile and seen recessions come and go. This is different. This is far worse. How Turdboy thinks he can insulate himself from this reality is an unprecedented form of denial.

swinia sutki on May 11, 2012 at 5:57 AM

The Communist, Kenyan, Imposter, lies every time he speaks!! All he saved was the auto union thugs of GM at the expense of stockholders and taxpayers!!The auto industry thrives in the real world without Obama’s help and without the United Auto Union. Toyota, Honda,Ford, Nissan,Mercedes, etc, all are and were thriving without taxpayer bailouts!!Toyota in Georgetown, Ky. cranks out the best selling cars (Camry)in the nation, employs thousands of non-union jobs,contributes mightily to the community, AND MAKES A PROFIT!! That is why this Communist regime never mentions them!! Their story is repeated all over the country and car buyers know it and vote with their pocketbooks for quality in their purchases!!

Marco on May 11, 2012 at 6:01 AM

It’s still the economy, stupid.

kingsjester on May 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM

In an incumbent Republican president said this in the midst of a Great Recession six months before the election there is no way he would be reelected. The Dems and MSM would repeat that sentence thousands of times a day through election day.

farsighted on May 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I can’t help but notice Obama stopped counting the people out of work before he took office. What about the negative job growth for the last three years you filthy bastard!!!? What about all the people that have given up even looking as you and your ugly wife and brats flit around the globe on taxpayer funded vacations? Ever think about the unemployed out there on the golf course you pinko traitor!!!?

But we are supposed to forget all about the economy and focus on a WaPo story that isn’t even holding up to scrutiny.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Thanks for the campaign commercial material, Barry.

Keep those hits coming!

AZCoyote on May 11, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Did He save the auto industry?

CVMA-Dredd on May 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Of course not. The auto industry in Obama’s world does not include all those plants in right-to-work states. The filthy bastard just transferred billions to GM and Chrysler to prop up the UAW pension funds. Despite the ad’s claim, GM still owes the government billions.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Cheer up guys, didn’t you hear that jobless claims dropped last week? It’s getting better.

(Of course, claims actually increased – but Barry the magician, changed the prior weeks numbers to show this week’s as a decrease. He’s so creative. And he’s done this for 17 weeks straight and NO ONE in the MSM EVEN NOTICED !)

stenwin77 on May 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Forgets the magnitude of the recession?

Typical 1%er.

This should play very will with OWS… but don’t worry, they will still vote for the 1% as they will be told to do it by SEIU.

ajacksonian on May 11, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Perhaps Barry should discuss the recession with his daughters. He consulted them re: SSM.

BHO Jonestown on May 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

“Plug the hole, daddy, just plug the hole!”
- end of discussion.

askwhatif on May 11, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Early, the President said he went to sleep every night thinking about the economy and jobs.
Wakes up and totally forgets.
Nice to live that way, Huh?
Laser focus is not what he thinks it is.

Jabberwock on May 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM

If it’s not about ME and how magnificent I am, or how smart I am; I am not really interested.

GarandFan on May 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

“I’m BORED! Valerie, invent me another crisis!”
(*rolls on floor kicking and screaming*)

askwhatif on May 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Speaking of the “House of Cards”…

Who wanted to reform Fannie and Freddie to keep that House of Cards from collapsing?

Republicans.

And who insisted that there were not any “saftey and soundness issues” with Fannie and Freddie?

Democrats.

The C-SPAN footage of their actual statements does not lie.

ITguy on May 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM

“I thought about, uh, the recession, uh, uh, yea, when was it . . . I was, uh,? I was on the beach in Hawaii, no, no, I, uh, I was playing Pebble Beach, uh, no, uh, . . . Let me think a minute. Oh yea, uh, it, uh, was when I was flying in Air Force One, my plane, uh, you know. I was heading for a fundraiser at Clooney’s, uh, uh, Manse, and, uh, I thought, wow, the recession is bad. So yea. I think about it.”

BTW, barack sucks.

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Compare and contrast:

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I can relate. I too have forgotten the magnitude of Obamunism’s utter and total economic failure. Between Øbama and Joe the “Gaffer” Biden they’ll be plenty of fodder for the romniacs to use all summer long.

Mojave Mark on May 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I don’t have the numbers for the size of the population age 16 years and over, but if our total U.S. population is over 313 million and if 80% of our population is age 16 and over, then he size of the population age 16 years and over is approximately 250 million people.

So, each percentage point of the Employment-population ratio represents about 2.5 million people.

===========================================

What was the Employment-population ratio when Barack Obama came to Washington, D.C. in January 2005 as a Senator in the minority party?

62.4%

What was the Employment-population ratio in January 2007 after two years of complete Republican control (House, Senate, and Presidency)?

63.3%

The Bush Tax Cuts were working, and over 2 Million more people were employed than just two years earlier.

THAT is what Obama and the Democrats inherited in January 2007 when the Democrats took majority control of the House, Senate, and overall budgeting and spending process.

What was the Employment-population ratio in January 2009 after two years of majority Democrat control (including Senator Barack Obama in the majority party)?

60.6%

And what was the Employment-population ratio in September 2009 after just eight months of complete Democrat control (House, Senate, and Presidency)?

58.7%

Democrats were behind the wheel as they drove the Employment-population ratio into the ditch, from 63.3% in January 2007 to 58.7% in September 2009.

And the Employment-population ratio has not been above 58.7% since then.

The Democrats took control of the wheel in January 2007, drove the economy into the ditch in just over 2 and a half years, and have kept it sitting in the ditch for more than 2 and half years after that.

Democrats inherited an Employment-population ratio of 63.3%, and it is currently 58.4%, which means that we are almost 5 full percentage points below where we were at the end of majority Republican control.

So, approximately 12.5 million more people were employed when the Republicans held majority control, versus Obama and the Democrats.

ITguy on May 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Probably forgets a lot from all the enthusiastic drug use.

Wagthatdog on May 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Can we please hammer on this Brian Slglae thing & find out the real story?
If the man has been employed by that Johnson Controls since ’06, then Obama didn’t help him get a job at all & the entire ad is a lie.
Now why is that?
Can we make this a big story please?
Pick apart ALL OF THEIR LIES

Badger40 on May 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

But I have remembered free birth control,gay marriage,Solyndra,and fund raising.

gerrym51 on May 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Dear Preez
Don’t worry, we’ll remember for you and come Nov. you won’t have to worry about us anymore. My son worked 50 hours at the truck stop last week to help you get to your evening at Clooney’s. Hope you enjoy it immensely.

Kissmygrits on May 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It’s hard to focus on the magnitude of the recession when you have to squint because the sun is in your eyes while on the golf course.

shick on May 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Extrafishy on May 11, 2012 at 5:36 AM

I read this also and tipped HA to it. All their employees got WARN notices the other day. People have no idea how serious this issue is.

So now that Obama has said we’re in a deep recession, can we officially drop the “recovery” meme in favor of, y’know, REALITY?

Please?

dogsoldier on May 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Since the leader of the free world may lead by example, we should all take Steve Martin’s advice on how to pay no taxes on a million dollars. First…get a million dollars. Then when the IRS comes and asks you why you paid no taxes just say, “I forgot.”

curved space on May 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

with all these million dollar fund raisers, luxury vacations, extra flights, Wed. night White House Hollywood parties…….. it’s difficult to remember the recession the rest of the country is suffering.

katablog.com on May 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Someone over at NRO last week called Obama a “common juvenile street hoodlum who just happens to have a good job.”

matthew8787 on May 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Whoa just one second! Didn’t The One(term) say that he wakes up every morning thinking about the economy (or insert “top priority du jour” here)? Does this mean he forgets to wake up some days?

natasha333 on May 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Most. Cynical. Administration. Evah…

College Prof on May 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The Romney campaign’s response is spot on: “It’s not surprising that a president who forgot to create jobs, forgot to cut the debt, and forgot to change Washington has now admitted that he’s forgotten about the recession. In fact, it seems that the President has forgotten that he’s been in office for the last three-and-a-half years. In November, the American people won’t forget.” — Andrea Saul, Romney campaign spokesperson

natasha333 on May 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Maybe someone should shove yourgolfclubs wherethe sun doesn’t shine I’just
bet he thinks about all the people unemployed and hurting really bad when he tees up his first ball. Barry Fluke You !!!

stormridercx4 on May 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hey, I work hard on creating jobs in Kobe beef industry, and in my efforts to fly gourmet chefs from across the country to cater my parties, just think about all this investment in flying chefs industry. Not to mention to the investments in golf courses and such. Granted eating kobe beef or designer pizza made by flown from chicago chef, between the t-times, sometimes, I forget about the depth of this recession.
BHO.

anikol on May 11, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sometimes, I forget I’m using my “outside voice,” too.

Christien on May 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Obama: Sometimes Most-times I forget the magnitude of the recession this job

Fixed that for you Barry.

realitycheck on May 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Obama: Sometimes I forget the magnitude of the recession

Austrian translation: I care for the poor, the downtrodden and saving the middle class from the worst economy since the great depression……..which I caused.

dthorny on May 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

ITguy on May 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Add to that the raising of the minimum wage which has proven unemployment rises every time the minimum wage is increased.

dthorny on May 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

White House lied, jobs died
By Michelle Malkin • May 11, 2012 09:49 AM

ITguy on May 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I am sorry I was a little strong in my previous post, but I am so tired of this. Thursday I work at a Homeless Shelter/Food pantry and we are seeing the number of clients rising in extraordinary numbers. Good decent hard working people who were roofers, framers, painters construction people. People who were loggers and worked a honest job that was extremely hard and dangerous, and now I see them coming into our church broken, unemployed, a couple of kids in tow. We do the best we can for them, we make sure we honor them and provide some groceries for them to help them through the hard times. Hispanic, Black, White, Asian, we don’t really care their race, what we care about is they are broken and without food. We make sure that all the little kids get a treat, so they have a smile on their face when they leave the food pantry. Right after finishing an all day shift I come home and the first thing I see is this bottom feeder saying he has forgotten how much people are hurting,yet he and his vacation, live the good life and do it on our dime. My feeling is they couldn’t dig he!! deep enough for this guy.

stormridercx4 on May 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on May 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM

This may be a little late but hope you see it. Regarding Google..

Have you taken a look at the new Bing that is in the works and should be ready in June? They are revamping it. You can read about it here:

The Fox news link has much more info.

With the Social sites being added to the Bing Search site, perhaps that will be helpful. Facebook/Twitter, etc.

Hope your situation gets better. This economy isn’t good and I think everyone is on pins and needles.

bluefox on May 11, 2012 at 5:20 PM