Breaking: Romney apologizes for high-school pranks; Update: Audio added

posted at 11:26 am on May 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Thankfully, our long national nightmare is over:

Mitt Romney apologized on Thursday morning for pranks he helped orchestrate in high school that he said “might have gone too far,” including an incident in which he pinned down a fellow student and cut his hair.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee was responding to an article published a few hours earlier by The Washington Post documenting the episode with first-hand accounts from Romney’s classmates.

“Back in high school, I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended, obviously I apologize for that,” Romney said in a live radio interview with Fox News Channel personality Brian Kilmeade. Romney added: “I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some might have gone too far and for that, I apologize.”

Romney’s campaign hastily scheduled the radio interview for the candidate to call in from Omaha, where he is holding a campaign event later Wednesday, to respond to The Post’s report.

Politically speaking, this was the smart thing to do. Other campaigns would have tried challenging the veracity of the stories and/or the motives of the witnesses, but that’s a losing proposition.  The more a campaign debates those points, the longer the story goes, and the more legitimacy it has in the media. Instead, the Romney campaign made it an old story before it began to grow legs by just expressing remorse over any cruelty that may have taken place in high school.

I eagerly await the next set of stories about how in middle school Romney refused to give cuts in line to kids from low-income families, or how he shamelessly violated the “exies-no-erasies” rule in elementary school with his female classmates.

Update: Via BuzzFeed, here’s the audio from Romney’s interview in its entirety:

“I don’t remember that incident,” Romney told Kilmeade, chuckling. “I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual. That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s, so that was not the case.”

One e-mailer suggested that the hairstyle might have been the focus of the prank, not perceived orientation.  Cranbrook would likely have had a fairly strict set of rules on personal appearance.  Either way, it’s still a mean-spirited thing to do, but teenage boys (or girls, for that matter) aren’t known for their sense of proportion or maturity in every moment of the day, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13

Oops on my proofreading again!

“…none of the eyewitnesses even said they suspected questioned whether Mitt’s “homophobia” as might have been his motivation”

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM
You and I in total agreement? Whats up with that?

Bmore on May 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Uh Oh! LOL

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

LOL. Objecting consistently to Romney = “going leftward”. Bizarro.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

It isn’t and you’re not. Talking about a lazy argument. I’ve been reading here for years and you are one of the most consistent Palin supporter here. Your disappointment with Romney being the candidate is all that is evident.

LazyHips on May 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So the WapO crafted a deliberately false story out of a nothingburger.

dogsoldier on May 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Uh Oh! LOL

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I know right? And frankly a little frightening. ; )

Bmore on May 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You are too nice. I can’t even respond to Buy Danish anymore. And I had to step away for a few days, because I found my self getting to vitriolic..

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM
She and I have agreed (I use that term loosely) to not respond to each other after she turned on me like a rabid dog and tried to bite my hand off. lol.

totherightofthem on May 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

In her defense, she is certainly loyal and zealously supports her candidate.. That’s all I have got though :)

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

So the WapO crafted a deliberately false story out of a nothingburger.

dogsoldier on May 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Do you mean “false”, or do you mean “false-false”, kinda like how Whoopee G once spoke about rape? :)

The way that author ‘never went there’ is criminally incriminating. It was worse than offensive – the author did not honestly believe that Mitt’s action was bigoted.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I read them. They’re out of line. But cut the bullshit. The groupthink squad wanted angryed hung from the nearest electron tree a long time ago for not subscribing to the Mittbot Creed. That’s what the dynamic is. If MJBrutus or some other nasty pro-Romney jerk here had said that same thing it wouldn’t have gotten 2 looks from anyone.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Dude, get a grip on yourself. I’m a nista, always have been, and fought many battle’s with the Mittwitts right up until it became indisputable the Mitt Romney was the GOP candidate.

Unlike some people, my nose is still firmly attached to my face and hasn’t been removed out of spite. Try growing up and facing reality, Sarah made the choice to sit this one out, and I still love her anyway. But it was HER choice.

What happened to angryEd was entirely his own fault and not some lynch mob mentality. He got way out of line, called people homosexuals, homophobes, made derogatory regional comments about them and really took a $hit on military people.

Now you are wading in here, defending the indefensible from what appears to be purely out of spiteful anger that some people her insulted Sarah Palin and that Mitt Romney eventually WON the GOP nomination despite the fact that you really really really hate him. Just grow up already.

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

totherightofthem on May 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

We agreed to this did we? I have only the vaguest recollection of who you are, but whatever you say.

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yes. He invented the bigotry, lied, bore false witness. HE LIED.

dogsoldier on May 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I’d like to slightly change part of my last sentence so it more closely expresses my thought: “the author did not honestly believe that Mitt’s action was bigoted; in fact, he either knew it wasn’t or believed it probably wasn’t, yet wrote the column in the manner he did anyway in order to ‘sneak one by’ for his team.”

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

On the one hand, it was in high school. On the other hand, it was over 40 years ago.

Both hands don’t care.

I’m a lot more concerned by Mitt’s “clever” tactic of “taking an issue away” from Obama by saying, “Me too!” like he did on cutting student loan rates and automatically raising the minimum wage (one of the stupidest things you can do in an era of high unemployment, and this from a candidate being sold as an economic genius.)

If he acted like a jerk in high school, I hope he paid for it. But that was a long time ago.

tom on May 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Yes. He invented the bigotry, lied, bore false witness. HE LIED.

dogsoldier on May 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Oh, I knew what you meant – I was making a joke with Whoopi (and any angry Leftie who’d see it) as the butt of it. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

tom on May 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I don’t even care if he paid for it, as long as he grew out of it and all evidence suggests that he has.

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:55 PM

tom on May 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Not particularly a Romney fan, I’m more an AnybodyButObama fan at this point, but I’d like to meet the person who never acted like a jerk in high school.

nico on May 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Truly ridiculous!

I remember a friend who got drunk and passed out our freshman year of college. We proceeded to shave his legs. Needless to say, he was NOT happy when he woke up! Teenaged boys are jerks (I’m female) and are notoriously bad at reading people. They frequently do and say things that they think are hilariously funny but aren’t.

Hair grows, people shouldn’t act like Romney cut off his arm or something.

This is just a red herring to keep the national conversation away from real issues like an out-of-control government.

Common Sense on May 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Common Sense on May 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Heh-heh – haven’t thought about this in years: we had a Frosh pass out one time and did cut off his arm. Yeah, we were all loaded too, but we were wondering if he would wake up. The look on that guys face was freaking priceless the next day. The dean’s expression was pretty cool, too…

affenhauer on May 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM

And yes: he did wake up in the hospital…

affenhauer on May 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Last!!

affenhauer on May 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

ddrintn,

Whatever your reasons for defending the troll, you HAVE been coming across as PEEVED in the various comments I have seen you post in the last few weeks.

I would never have pegged you as a Palinista because, in my experience, they are generally more affable and accepting of differing points of view.

PolAgnostic on May 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

What happened to angryed is that he was persona non grata for quite a while because of his attitude toward Romney, and then the claque starting camping out on his every post wating to jump. It’s happened to me as well, though not in quite this same way. Yeah, his comment was over the line. But I’ve seen plenty of over-the-line comments from all sorts of people here. I never have really made over the top comments but as I said I’ve been accused of making them because I didn’t comform fully to the groupthink rah rah Red Team bullshit. But comments I made had to be twisted or misconstrued in order to shut me up. So spare me the “I’m one of the sensible Palinistas — be cool like I am” routine. It doesn’t really have anything to do with Palin anymore anyway. It’s the Mitt Show now.

SWalker on May 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Says the little lovable bundle of passive-aggression who used to ride unseen’s ass all the time in the manner I described.

PolAgnostic on May 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’m not the one shrieking “TROLLLLL!!!!!! MOBY!!!!!!! O-BOTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! BAN HAMMEMMMMEERRRRRRRMRMRMRMRR!!!!!!” and trying to get people to shut up at every opporunity.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

LazyHips on May 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Thank you.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I would never have pegged you [ddrintn] as a Palinista because, in my experience, they are generally more affable and accepting of differing points of view.

PolAgnostic on May 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yes, disgruntled Palin superfan-turned-Obama supporter ddrintn gives Palin fans a bad name and HotAir an even worse one. It’s no surprise at all that someone like ddrintn, who campaigns against our presumptive nominee and hopes for an Obama win in November, would find common cause with the Obama-voting internet troll AngryEd.

AngryEd is simply an Obama supporter who fooled a lot of people on this blog into thinking he was some kind of conservative Tea Partier. For months AngryEd bashed Romney non-stop, pretending that he thought Romney wasn’t “conservative enough” and therefore not fit for the nomination, but it turns out that AngryEd supported Obama all along. (sidenote: what does that tell you about which Republican candidate the Obama supporters REALLY didn’t want to run against?) Because of AngryEd’s Romney-bashing ways, jilted Palin worshipers like ddrintn and others (who were upset that Romney was winning over so many conservatives and collecting so many delegates) found solace in the deranged rantings of a trolling Obama supporter, AngryEd. Now that AngryEd has mostly fessed up to his true purpose, the anti-Romney misfits like ddrintn still see AngryEd as an ally and don’t hesitate to jump to his defense (see ddrintn’s stand-by-your-man support of AngryEd).

Sarah Palin, a patriotic woman who knows we can and MUST defeat Obama this November by electing Mitt Romney, would no doubt be the first to utterly reject the anti-Romney campaigning and Obama-supporting ways of fake conservatives like ddrintn and gang.

bluegill on May 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

bluegill on May 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You’re full of shit.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

^ You and your little nasty compadres in the ‘botbrain brigade are turning many people off of Romney. I don’t have to do any “anti-Romney campaigning” at all, even if I were inclined to do so. Simply stating that the guy is going to lose isn’t “campaigning” against him.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

You’re full of shit.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I’m not the one defending anti-military bigots and campaigning against our presumptive Republican nominee in hopes of getting Obama reelected. Some conservative you are.

Nice language, by the way.

bluegill on May 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I’m defending free expression and freedom of thought from the strictures of you Mittler Youth.

Nice language, by the way.

bluegill on May 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Thanks.

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I love it when the trolls turn on each other…

affenhauer on May 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Except he’s been effectively caught, which means he’s going to end up “taking one for the team”. : )

listens2glenn on May 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Not a gigantic Romney fan, but I would think that accusing Romney of torturing his dog, the way angryed did recently, goes a bit further than not subscribing to the “Mittbot Creed” and is quite a bit closer to a Daily-Kos type of insanity.

I believe it is that level of derangement that has earned him animosity from some of the more reluctant Mitt supporters here.

RINO in Name Only on May 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

This story is ugly. A super rich bully at an ultra-exclusive private school. Not a good image…

ZippyZ on May 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Have to agree. My ABO vote may be at risk here.

If this incident actually happened, too bad for Lauber it wasn’t the 70s. Robamny might have “accidently” ingested some blotter and “jumped” in front of a bus./

S. D. on May 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I hung in there with AE for as long as I could. I engaged him on his “scorched earth” point of view because I found it an interesting one and he was quite lucid about it. I even defended him a number of times against different people and one day I took a fair amount of heat for it because he was talking borderline smack about Mormons.

I even suggested to him to take a few days off as it was starting to affect his commenting as he was going from being a firm in his beliefs to what you are seeing today.

Shortly after that he went completely over the edge with inappropriate comments like today.

Perhaps that may have been so with the other people you mentioned above, but that’s because they’ve always been provocative, but AE at one point was just a curmudgeon, not a provocative a-hole like he is today.

kim roy on May 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

At the age of 4 Romney was overheard saying “Poopyhead!” to a neighbor child.

The unnamed child later died.

56 years later to be exact.

profitsbeard on May 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

No, that’s not what happened. What happened is he spent the past year posing as a right wing conservative who strenuously disapproved of Mitt because he was a RINO. People engaged him, humored him, even (stupidly) agreed with him. Then one day his meds ran out or something and the real angryed began to reveal himself. Today he wrote the final chapter and proved himself to be indisputably a fake, phony, fraud O-man..

Sorry you were duped. I know it was fun for you to have a kindred spirit of sorts leaving bitter remarks about Romney. You’re pretty much on your own now. I’ll give you this though: Unlike Angryed, you’re not a fraud, you’re just a bitter clinger.

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

The beatles , those rebellious rascals, had daring long hair, even covering their ears!. And then you had those hard rock bands, Status Quo, AC DC or Morrissen.

Long hair but anything gay.

Romney is 100% right, the concept of gay was not even on the radar screen those days.

huntingmoose on May 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

This needs to be brought up also. Everyone here remember Libertarian Party VP candidate Wayne Allyn Root? He apparently was a classmate of Obama at Colombia University back in 1983.

He details here that whilst he does not recall ever meeting the future president, on the day that Reagan was shot, a student burst through the class door and shouted that Reagan had been assassinated. The entire class except for him got up and cheered.

Article Here

Link to Glenn Beck interview where he brings it up here

Omega_Rage on May 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

When I say except for him I’m talking about Root.

Omega_Rage on May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

So somebody tell me… did AngryIED get the ban hammer? It sounds to me like he did when reading comments up thread…

SauerKraut537 on May 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

SauerKraut537 on May 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I don’t think so unless the went back later and banned him.. I think a lot of people thought his line of attack today was bannable…

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

What a load of crap. First off try asking Lourds, Buy Danish or Anoyinglittletwerp jut how sensible a Palinista I was. When I finally got it through my head that she really wasn’t going to run, I let it go and let the animosity go as well.

Sarah Palin was my first choice for GOP nominee and I fought rough and tumble with anyone who doubted she would be. But there comes a time when you have to face reality and move on. Some people are to childish immature and just plain narcissistic to do that.

My belief that Sarah Palin would have been the best candidate in 2012 was based 100 percent on my desire to see America survive the Obamanation Administrations attempts to destroy it, that desire has not changes one single bit.

Sarah made the decision that the best thing she could do for America was to work to change congress and the various state legislatures. I fully support her decision. Even through it meant giving up the hope that she would be the next POTUS.

Having faced that reality like a mature grown adult my focus once again returned to getting Barack Hussein Obama and his Marxist cronies out of the whitehouse.

Once again, mature adult decision time, that decision was not an easy decision, but one that had to be made. Sit it out and be bitter that Sarah chose not to run, and that along the way lot’s of people said mean things about her and about me for supporting her, or taking an active part in removing Obama from office.

The mature adult decision was not to be a petulant spoiled vindictive child and throw a temper tantrum that I didn’t get my way. It was the bury the hatchet and work with those very same people who I had fought with for the purpose of saving this great republic that I love.

Romney is NOT my ideal candidate, but he IS the only candidate with any chance of beating Barack Obama and his Marxist cabal. The primaries are over for all realistic purposes, Romney, like it or not is the GOP nominee. If you really care about America and want Obama out of office, then he is who you must support, like it or not.

Sitting it out because you are a spoiled petulant vindictive child is the same as voting for Obama, because the only way to remove Obama from office is to vote someone else into office.

So either grow up and put the past behind you and get with the program and evict Obama, or go be an a$$hole petulant vindictive prick and vote for Obama. But quit playing the Palin martyr, it isn’t what she want’s and it isn’t in the best interests of the United States of America.

SWalker on May 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

So either grow up and put the past behind you and get with the program and evict Obama, or go be an a$$hole petulant vindictive child and vote for Obama. But quit playing the Palin martyr, it isn’t what she want’s and it isn’t in the best interests of the United States of America.

SWalker on May 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I love it when the trolls turn on each other…

affenhauer on May 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I love it when Mittbot jerks who got in during the most recent registrations sit back and judge who’s a troll….

SWalker on May 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM
SWalker on May 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

A bunch of wasted blowhard verbiage there, bud. It might get you a pat on the back from the ‘bot squad, though. The topic isn’t Palin.

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I couldn’t care less about angryed. You think we’re the only two anti-Romney heretics in the universe? Think again, snookums, and take a look at the polls sometime. And then scurry back here to your nice little echo chamber to be reassured by your fellow ‘bots that Romney’s going to kick ass and take names.

By the way, has anyone yet met a real live Romney supporter in the wild? I still haven’t. This and MittRomneyCentral and the GOP establishment seem to be the only places they exist.

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Look, ddrintn, you’re probably a wonderful person in real life. Nothing against you personally. Your comments seem a lot more tolerable (even when you’re calling people a “P.O.S.”) than those from the grating Romney-basher JannyMae, for example. It’s just a shame that you, a jilted Palin superfan who now hopes for an Obama win in November, don’t seem to understand why people are growing tired of your Obama-supporting comments. No wonder other Palin supporters are distancing themselves from you and other Obama-supporting fake conservatives.

What do you expect when you come on a conservative site and repeatedly taunt blog readers with comments to the effect of, “Obama is going to win. I hate Romney. I hate people who vote for Romney” over and over, all because you’re still upset that Republican primary voters chose someone other than your preferred candidate. Do you think that’s going to endear yourself to HotAir readers? Guess what, virtually all Republicans and everyone else who knows Obama must be defeated is for Romney at this point.

In 2008 I supported Romney very strongly, and during the primary season I couldn’t stand the sight of his competitors, Huckabee and McCain. Pro-amnesty John McCain’s attacks on Romney during the debates and elsewhere made me sick. But, when McCain won the nomination, I was on board and knew that what was most important was preventing Obama or Clinton from becoming president. We’ve all been in this situation, and it’s not fun, but you get over it quickly. Be an adult about things and accept reality. You’re not always going to have your absolute #1 pick. Republican voters have spoken loudly and clearly. Thankfully, they made the right choice, and almost all of those who had supported someone other than Romney during the primary season has since accepted the situation and realized that our country needs Obama out of office, and the only way to do that is to elect Mitt Romney.

If someone is not supporting Romney at this point, then they are supporting Obama’s reelection. It’s as simple as that.

Partisan taunts and other blog comments (like those wishing for an Obama win) which are meant to upset HotAir readers are expected from the likes of AngryEd, DBear, UpperEastSide, LibFreeorDie, etc. Those people are liberals who spout the MSNBC and Daily Kos talking points. Arguing with people like them who are already highly motivated Obama voters with entrenched political views seems a bit pointless to me, and I tend to ignore their comments. They are going to vote for Obama, and they will never admit that conservatives are right about anything.

However, people like you, ddrintn, should know better. You claim to be a conservative, yet you let your petty grievances lead you to essentially campaign for Obama, campaign against our presumptive Republican nominee and also support and team up with Obama-voting internet trolls like AngryEd, who trashes our military service members and who says Obama’s critics are motivated by racism.

Ddrintn, either you haven’t realized that the primary season is pretty much over, or you’re more interested in worshiping a single political personality (in your case, Palin) than you are in seeing our country rid itself of Obama. I take you at your word when you say you’re conservative. But don’t forget, as has been said earlier, that the person you constantly promote, Sarah Palin, would herself be absolutely disgusted with your Obama-supporting antics. Maybe you just need to take a step back, take a break from politics for a few days, then ask yourself why your obsession with Sarah Palin is now causing you to both hope for an Obama win and to constantly trash those people who know that we need to defeat Obama by electing Mitt Romney.

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

They aren’t, really. In the first place I’m not an Obama supporter. In the second place you just gave us a textboot example of Alinskyite crap: isolate and ridicule. Scratch a Mittbot, find a lib.

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

By the way, I didn’t say I hate Romney or the people who vote for Romney. I say Obama is going to win. A sure sign of how weak Romney is is that the only way the ‘bot squad can counter that opinion is to rely on Alinskyite bullying tactics: let’s shout down any dissenters so that we’ll appear to be more numerous than the little minority we know ourselves to be.

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

They aren’t, really.

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Hmmm, look a few comments up for just one example…

[...]

SWalker on May 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

SWalker is absolutely right.

Hopefully you will take SWalker’s words to heart. Put your little petulant, vindictive act aside, will you? There are bigger, more important things than your personal petty grievances.

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM

ddrintn. Ed Anger has been self-outed as a liberal Moby troll for quite some time now. The fact that Romney is a political weather-vane and many of his supporters obnoxious fallacy-spouting jerks doesn’t change that.

ebrown2 on May 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Obama is unlikely to win. His campaign is in shambles, imploding. All they have now is distraction du jour which will not work. The economic misery of the country is like an unrelenting toothache in a molar.

Every tactic Obama employs backfires with hysterical results. He has no accomplishments, with the exception of having some too totally awesome vacations. Even dems resent that.

Even this hit piece has blown up in his face. The family of the guy in question is now attacking the WaPo over it. Obama is a a rolling disaster machine.

dogsoldier on May 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Truly ridiculous!

Hair grows, people shouldn’t act like Romney cut off his arm or something.

Common Sense on May 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You truly have proven yourself worthy of your nickname here! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM

:-) I’ve got a bit more. She makes some very good arguments when she’s defending conservatism and conservative positions. She’s not stupid and not illogical. It’s when we start talking about Romney that she becomes someone else.

totherightofthem on May 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Yeah, you nailed it, DireStraits is soooo passive-aggressive, he’s far ruder/less socially skilled than people like you, angryed, or HondaV65, isn’t he?!?!?! You really take pride in how “well” you read people, don’t you? ROFL

Do you believe you possess the capability of defining “good manners? Whose more likely to be passive-aggressive in your mind: a negative, prickly, defensive person who can’t debate someone w/o resorting to insults, usually sooner rather than later, or someone who’s positive, friendly, not defensive, and is able to disagree with others w/o being disagreeable?

What do you believe you can point to about the way you carry yourself here at HA that should indicate to us that you actually are a good-natured, easy to deal with person, and not the extremely unpleasant, paranoid wackjob with a persecution complex so many of us have found you to be? (word of caution: if you think responding to this with a personal attack works in your favor, you’re wrong! :) )

I’d ask you if you know what “hubris” is, what your methodology is to determine that you are not someone who projects your problems onto others, but that you fairly and accurately judge when you do bother to judge them, and how much Jesus’ admonition to pull the log out of your own eye before worrying about the specks in other people’s concerns you, but I already know from dealing with you previously how intellectually fruitful (i.e. utterly fruitless!) it would be for me to do so, because I know you won’t even try to explain yourself in an objective, dispassionate manner :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Buy Danish on May 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Apparently, only I agreed. That’s fine. Keep insulting people on a daily basis, I’m sure that’s gotten you far in life, so have at it, if it makes you feel good about yourself.

totherightofthem on May 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

listens2glenn on May 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

LOL

I love watching these hapless idiots go down in flames – everything they try between now and November is going to hurt them more than it will help! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM

There’s a lot of things you can call me that I’d have to admit to, but Mittbot jerk ain’t one of them. A lot of people could make a case for Other-Kind-Of-Jerk, but definitely not Mittbot. On the other hand, a good portion of your posts here do indicate certain troll-like tendencies (overgeneralizations like “‘bot squad” is but one example)…

affenhauer on May 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

lol why would you believe this – how is it possible for someone to be so different online than off-?

If that were the case, it would only be because someone’s wearing a mask to cover the truth, meaning that the difference is a superficial one – if you’d rub such a person’s surface the wrong way offline, you’d quickly understand what I’m saying! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

dogsoldier on May 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Good post.

The pace at which Dems are distancing themselves from His adminstration’s toxicity is only going to increase. I also don’t believe 0bamessiah will last until November – I believe Fast & Furious will bring Him down before then.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

You think we’re the only two anti-Romney heretics in the universe?

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Thanks for admitting you are an ABRtard.

To bad you can’t be an ABO instead.

Oh well, go ahead and continue being a miserable moron.

Gunlock Bill on May 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

totherightofthem on May 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Ah, such self-righteousness. I come to this thread and see that, before I’ve posted a single comment, I’m being compared to the lying P.O.S., Angryed by ddrntn and Cindy Munford. Then you chirp in. Let’s review:

I like unseen, ed crossed the line with his name calling. You don’t call people rubes and make fun of their geographic location, type of residence and vehicle ownership, it’s counter productive.
Cindy Munford on May 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Well, unless you’re doing it in the service of Romney. I’ve seen that tactic used many a time here by the ‘bot squad with nary an eyebrow being raised.
ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

ddrintn on May 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I’ve been telling the Mittwitts the same thing at every possible opportunity for the last four months. Do you know how annoyed Buy Danish is with me? In the end I’m not going to let some bully talk me into or out of doing what little I can do for our country. It’s not like we have limitless options, so I will do what I think is best for the country at the moment and continue to work for conservatism.
Cindy Munford on May 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

melle1228 on May 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

totherightofthem on May 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Unlike angryed, I’m not a liar or a “troll”. I don’t insult our military. I have never “called people rubes” or “made fun of their geographic location” or their “type of residence and vehicle ownership”. Yet in walks Cindy Munford to compare me to this person! Gosh, why oh why do I get “annoyed with her”? And FTR, the entire premise ddrntn puts forth about “unseen” being “raked over the coals” is nonsense to begin with. ddrntn loves to play the victim, and how ironic is it that he’s someone who has cheered angryed on, as has Cindy – the very person they have the gall to compare me to. But yeah, they’re sweet at peaches and cream…

Buy Danish on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So we’re looking into Presidential candidate’s school activites and such now?

Great…the MSM will be clamoring for all of Obama’s information from those days any moment now…right?

krome on May 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Look at yourself. You undercut your own pompous argument. You bloviate in not one but two long-winded posts about my “disagreeableness” and penchant for insult by…insulting me. Not one of you Mittbots, old or new, ever takes on an argument head on. It has to be “TROLLLLLLL!!!! MOBY!!!!!!!! O-BOT!!!!!” or some other label or some other “isolation” tactic. And yeah, as for Dire Straits, maybe you should look into the threads/topics I referenced before you come rushing to the defense of your good buddy. OK?

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Buy Danish on May 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM

You wrongfully accused me, in violation of the TOS, of being an anti-Mormon bigot. You should be banned along with angryed. Right?

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Oh please. First – you’re still defending angryed? Good luck with that. As for my accusation, haven’t we been though this already? You said he was part of “The Brethren”. At least 3 times on that thread I asked you to correct what you said. It took the better part of a day for you to acknowledge it was a poor choice of words and to make a correction. As I said at the time, it’s not my fault you used those words, and I accepted what you said from that point on without hesitation or reservation.

Buy Danish on May 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’ve also noticed that many moderates keep telling conservatives to just hold their nose and vote for Romney. Yet, when it’s time to back a conservative candidate, they not only refuse, they call them kooks and right wingers and other names.

At the highest levels of the GOP, moderates refuse to back conservative candidates. Instead of losing graciously, they will run as an independent, snipe at conservatives in interviews, refuse to support a conservative who is unfairly attacked by the MSM, bemoan the ruination of the Republican party by those radical tea party patriots. For these moderates, bipartisan always means that they must do as the Democrats ask.

If they want my support for Romney, they might consider how it looks when they refuse to support conservative candidates.

Ibanez Lotus on May 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Nice language, by the way.

bluegill on May 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Says the bigot gilled one. The stench of rotting fish accompany’s you wherever you go.

Bmore on May 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Oh please. First – you’re still defending angryed? Good luck with that.

I’m saying you’re every bit as bad and ban-worthy. You and others here nfling around defamatory remarks with the greatest of easy merely to prop up your weak candidate.

Buy Danish on May 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I’ll say it was a “poor choice of words” where youi can show me that the term “the Brethren” is Mormon-specific. You saw a chance to accuse me of being an anti-Mormon bigot with no evidence, and you jumped on it. You defamed me. Ban Hammer.

ddrintn on May 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM

* “flinging”, not “nfling”, and “ease”, not easy above. Anyway you get the idea.

ddrintn on May 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

ddrintn on May 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM

“The Brethren” has a religious connotation. Connect the dots to which religion. I thought we already hashed through this. Oh well, I don’t call you a “bitter clinger” for nothing.

PS: Did you miss the part about angryed being a liar and a fraud? Yet here you are still defending him.

Buy Danish on May 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

ddrintn on May 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

blah blah blah blah blah you are a ridiculously defensive, droning bore, who is unable to think critically.

A necessary component of passive-aggressiveness is anger, and considering how inept you are at recognizing your own anger, how could it be possible for you to accurately assess others’ levels of it?

I notice you didn’t try to answer even one of my questions civilly – you decided to go on the offense instead in order to avoid them, which is a typical behavior of people in denial. Do you think anyone here at HA would be surprised by your decision to go on the attack once again? LOL

You are more predictable than the day is long, you whiny, cowardly, paranoid, and insanely angry ball of hot gas! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ibanez Lotus on May 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Did you bother thinking about the apology he gave? It was not only harmless, it had an air-clearing effect.

If you got this much of a rise out of it, you must have been one of those blind Chicken Littles who went around telling us how Rush’s apology was an insurmountable tactical error, too – are you aware of how Rush has been doing since he gave it? :) If he had listened to the emotional, extreme partisans on the Right who believed he should have withheld an apology, the issue wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be properly laid to rest from Rush’s end like it was…

Bizarro No. 1 on May 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

This illustrates my problem with Romney. The news media will post hit pieces about inconsequential stuff and he will dance to their tune and start his own apology tour. I don’t believe he will be able to fight the media because he will fall for all their “hard hitting” news stories about him and be on constant defense. Ibanez Lotus on May 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

So if one has a problem with Romney, they’re a blind Chicken Little who evidently cares what Rush is doing, interesting take on all of this. So I guess that’s me, I’m highly worked up about this and have been running around the yard all day yelling the sky is falling, Romney apologized for being mean in high school!!

Not sure what Rush even has to do with the story. But, you have convinced me now to vote for Romney. The name calling has really won me over to Romney’s camp! Oh, and thanks for illustrating my point about some moderates calling conservatives names. That’s the first time someone has hinted that I’m an “emotional, extreme partisan on the Right”.

If the news media keeps throwing out these stupid news stories, and Romney continues to take them seriously, then the left is controlling the conversation and diverting attention from the important topics. When he called out the press regarding the fact that this is a non story I was impressed. After that, I didn’t think the blanket apology for bad behavior in high school was necessary.

Ibanez Lotus on May 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ibanez Lotus on May 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Sigh. You completely misunderstood the point Bizzaro was making; that is, at times, an appropriate, non-dramatic, air-clearing apology is necessary because it helps draw the story to a close. The Rush/Sandra Fluke example showed this very well. Some people wanted Rush to double down and continue to call Fluke a slut, but those people seemed mostly interested in their own emotional satisfaction, rather than doing what was politically smart.

Ibanez Lotus on May 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Sorry, Ibanez, everyone (not just moderates, but also conservatives, very conservative voters, independents, etc.) knows that the only way to defeat Obama is by electing Mitt Romney. Hopefully you don’t have to wait for your favorite radio talk show host to give you this obvious bit of news before you realize it for yourself. Anyone who isn’t for Romney at this point is supporting Obama’s reelection. The so-called “true” conservative phonies who campaign against our presumptive Republican nominee (and who are, therefore, campaigning for Obama) have no business calling themselves any kind of conservative. They are nothing but useful idiots for Obama, I’m sorry to say. From what I’ve seen, those who are most likely to brag about their supposedly superior conservative credentials and who threaten to stay home on election day are nothing but self-obsessed, grandstanding poseurs. So, Ibanez, if you want to talk about calling people names: yes, those voters who know that Obama must be defeated (i.e., conservatives, moderates, independents, smart Democrats and Tea Partiers alike) understandably have little patience for the small handful of self-centered, overly emotional spoilsport fake conservatives who constantly stomp their feet and threaten to help Obama if others don’t kowtow to their every whim.

bluegill on May 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

bluegill on May 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I hear what you’re saying, and I basically agree with you. I have no idea what ddrintn is really like. I just think that it’s natural for political issues to get people so heated that they tend to quickly resort to insults. There are those people who can stay above that sort of behavior no matter what, and I admire them for it. The anonymous online environment allows the discussion to devolve more quickly to insults because there aren’t the same consequences as in real life for verbally attacking a political opponent. So… I tend to excuse some of the bickering on here and don’t personally blame the people TOO much for it. Besides, given my own history on here, I’m hardly in a position to tell people to be 100% sweet all the time.

However, people like Dr. Tesla (who can be vicious and seems to get off on disruptive, attention-seeking antics and somtimes insults people just for the heck of it) and others I have no patience for.

I was also just trying to be nice to ddrintn so he didn’t feel ganged up on. In some of his recent comments he portrays himself as a victim and tries to make it all about him and how he is being treated… not unlike how a famously victimized politician of note would sometimes have a tendency to frame the discussions.

bluegill on May 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Ibanez Lotus on May 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Sigh, how condescending of you. This is probably a pointless discussion, because certain people like to make assumptions about people instead of having a discussion. I was discussing Romney being led by the media and that seems to involve Rush and also seems to make me unable to make up my mind without some talk radio person telling me what to think. Yep, the insults do help convince me. Instead of pointing out the difference between Romney and Obama, instead of trying to convince doubters that he will not be another big government Republican, hint at my obtuseness and talk about Rush because that is so helpful. Obama needs to be defeated, but I don’t see how dismissive attitudes like yours and Bizarro’s help Romney. After seeing the thrashing McCain took from the media, I am worried that Romney will suffer the same fate.

As for the comment about moderates, I wasn’t just talking about electing the President. Often, moderate Republicans like Lugar and Murkowski will not support the winner of a primary. They expect the crown to be handed to them and when the upstart citizens don’t bestow it on them, they throw a hissy fit, lecture us and/or run as independents. If conservatives are supposed to back moderates when they win, how come moderates don’t back conservatives? It seems to be a case of do as I say, not as I do.

Ibanez Lotus on May 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM