Video: What a history lesson can do for an Occupier

posted at 9:21 am on May 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The irony here, of course, is that the history lesson of democracy gets delivered by a former refugee from the former Soviet Union, but the history lesson doesn’t just end with the USA.  One young man tried to pass an “Occupy Wall Street Journal” to two men observing the protests, and ended up gaining an education in history, politics, economics, and statecraft.  Give the young Occupier credit, as Joe Schoffstall says — he was at least willing to listen.  I’m not sure he was actually convinced, but he at least knew better than to keep arguing:

You might be tempted to stop after a couple of minutes, but stick to it all the way through to the end.  It shows what one man can do when he’s armed with the facts, as well as a little moral authority from having lived through a socialist nightmare.  His companion tells him at the end, “I’m very proud of you,” and I’d bet more than a few people here would be as well.

And at least the young man still had the capacity to learn. Ringo and Zombie document some of the mental incapacity found at the Occupy LA rally last week, including these images:

I’m an old tech-pubs editor, and I don’t think I could diagram that sentence, even with my extensive experience.  Then there are those who just can’t deal with reality:

Here’s a better question: why should I have to pay for you?  Or, for that matter, this guy:

If you need to eat, then I suggest you find ways to feed yourself.  If your art isn’t doing it for you, it’s time to consider another career.  Understandably, someone this dense has limited prospects anyway, but obviously it’s time to give it a try.

That’s why engagement will probably only work with a select few, but it is important to keep trying.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That was well worth the time to watch. Some of these kids cannot even fathom another argument other than what they have been taught. At least this kid listened to him and can no longer claim ignorance of the facts.

As an artist myself, I must sheepishly say, I made way better strike signs for my teacher mother back in fifth grade.

And, I’d like to see proof of anyone here at HA arguing against legal immigration. That was a purposefully deceptive lie, itallaboutme.

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Great… and now I have to re-download the video stream because the player doesn’t let me skip ahead. AP… please fix this site!

dominigan on May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Any country that expects to be ignorant and free expects that which never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

The Rock on May 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Should be very telling that a foreigner is more knowledgable of World History and US History than an American born and “educated” young man. To his credit, the youngster started to get a hint of what this very erudite and logical, former resident of the USSR was demonstrating. The reality of a socialist state, always evolves into a dictatorship, all in the name of democracy, slogans and all! Forward! To your eventual demise!

tomshup on May 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

The video… is painful. Idiot full of opinions, zero knowledge.

Kenosha Kid on May 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

dominigan on May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Not sure what your problem is but I watched the entire thing without any problems and just re-watched parts of it and had no trouble skipping around wherever I wanted. The problem may not be the site but something on your end.

Oldnuke on May 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Dear artists:

We starve you because your suffering is delicious to us. And funny.

God knows your “art” doesn’t bring us any joy. Can you blame us for making other arrangements?

Sincerely,

Everybody

TexasDan on May 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Awesome!…Thank you for posting

Tracker3 on May 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Here is his You Tube channel. He has 116 videos:

Former Soviet Citizen: Anti-Communist, Pro-Capitalist & Pro-USA

No Niks on May 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Artists are indeed workers. But if you think Michelangelo wasn’t paid the big bucks to paint the Sistine Chapel, DaVinci wasn’t well-compensated by the family of La Mona Lisa for her portrait, Jonathan Antoine is not going to be paid by the butts he will put in seats to hear him sing, or that thousands of actors in LA are waiting tables as we speak, you are SMOKING SOMETHING—and please don’t share, it causes brain damage.

Artists nowadays make crappy art because they have gotten people who are not actual consumers of their art to pay them through things like the NEA and various foundations to “be an artist.” When artists don’t have to play to their consumers, they don’t have to produce anything worth consuming. And increasingly, they don’t.

Far from being Philistines, those who oppose programs like the NEA are trying to put the consumers of art back into the equation of the creation of art.

Sekhmet on May 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

“We took over Israel…we assigned the Shah…” Classic.

HOMESCHOOL FTW!!!!

29Victor on May 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

What a different world we would live in if rather than memorized bumper sticker slogans, only facts would occupy these peoples’ brains.

Greek Fire on May 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

What a nice dream, but I’m of the opinion that some people are just incapable of absorbing facts. Their lives revolve around some utopian idea that all people can live in communes, that the fruits of everyone’s labors can be shared, and there is no evil in the world.

RedinPDRM on May 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

You know, the kid was throwing out all the usual Occupy talking points, but I was hopeful in the end – he was clean-cut, polite and at least was able to engage and understand the discussion.

underdog on May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Reminds me of my brother when he came back from college. He was just as full of liberal talking points but he was one of the few liberals I have ever talked to who would listen. He had actually not heard any conservative ideas since he went away and figured liberalism was what all the smart people believed. After he took over the family business his ideas started to change. Something about stupid and costly regulations, making payroll, paying high taxes, etc. seem to get through to him in a way nothing else could.

His kids now attend Teenage Republican Camps every summer.
There is hope.

Lily on May 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sad part is, he will take his newly-acquired logic back to the OWsers and they will re-indoctrinate him with BS.

PJ Emeritus on May 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

dominigan on May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Oldnuke on May 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I watched it w/o a problem, but I’ve had that happen on other videos here in the past. Once in awhile it refreshes when I’m reading all the posts. I can be 3/4 of the way down and boom a refresh happens and I have to re-find where I was.

Conservative4Ever on May 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This boy can be saved. He means well, he’s just been brainwashed.

Little Boomer on May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

This guy is typical of the intellectually impotent OWS crowd, in that his arguments seem to consist of a grab bag of cliches and slogans selected by a clumsy process of keyword matching. I’ve argued a lot with people like this. You’ll be making a point, and halfway through they will pounce upon some keyword that you’ve said, think “oh wait I have a slogan for that” and reel off something which is completely out of context but loosely related.

Sharke on May 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

That kid walked away and within 5 minutes his mind was right back where it started. You can lead a leftist to knowledge but you can’t make him think.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You never know. Sometimes its like planting seeds.

Great video.

magicbeans on May 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I love how this kid condemned capitalism and advocated for socialism only to go on to complain that it was unfair that the police were using their own tow trucks and putting private tow-truck companies out of business.

Heywood U. Reedmore on May 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I haven’t seen a single one. I have zero problem with legal immigrants, and I welcome them. I have 99 problems with illegal aliens(but a b*tch ain’t one), and I want them deported.

MadisonConservative on May 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

There are a few. lowandslow for example.

DarkCurrent on May 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ed, I’ll take a stab at this one. “Prescribed Degrees Lag Free The Capacity to Craft Free. It looks like someone who was watching “Accepted” a movie in heavy rotation on Comedy Central. Remember these kids get their news from Jon Stewart “The Daily Show”.

ACCEPTED.
When the weight of rejection begins to set in after being denied entry to every college he has applied to, a high school burnout attempts to placate his mom and dad and win the heart of his dream girl by scheming with his friends to create a fake university in a hilarious comedy of artificial education directed by Steve Pink and starring Justin Long.

The seemingly innocent ploy quickly spins out of control when the Web site, which automatically accepts any applicant, enrolls hundreds of other rejected students. Bartleby realizes that these people have nowhere else to go, so he lets them believe that the school is real. After a visit to Harmon disenchants him with traditional college life, he has the students make up their own classes and be their own teachers. Students write down what they want to learn on a giant whiteboard, with classes ranging from the culinary arts and sculpting to “Taking a Walk and Thinking about Stuff,” “International Relations: Hooking Up Overseas,” “Rock Our Faces Off 222,” and the invention of one freaky kid who wants to learn how to “blow shit up…with my mind.” Bartleby even goes so far as to create a school newspaper (the S.H.I.T. Rag) and a mascot (the S.H.I.T. Sandwiches).

My guess is this is what the poster means “Free The Capacity to Craft Free.” You know make up your own classes and create phony degrees to go along with them because Prescribed Degrees Lag…..so they should have the capacity to Craft Free -craft their own.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

dominigan on May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Maybe you need to let the entire video load before you try to jump around. You can’t jump forward to a point that hasn’t loaded yet.

novaculus on May 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

That’s the problem; they haven’t been taught, they’ve been indoctrinated. Or more accurately: innoculated against real learning. The American education system long ago left off teaching students how to learn in favor of a whole host of faddish nonsense starting with John Dewey and his ideas, whose principle effect is to remove the idea that there are objective truths that can be discovered but which requires disciplined thinking from a mind that has been trained to reason correctly.

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

DO IT.

When the occupier brings up Israel, you’re getting to the really, really good part.

Mr. Prodigy on May 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Ine thing my compatriot failed to mention to the kid is that word “terror” got its beginning from Lenin and Co. The guy should have asked the kid if he agrees (or not) that terror is a bad thing and why the people that brought “terror” into every day vocabulary are any good at running things.

When the kid asked “… why is it that I didn’t hear about people being arrested for nothing” the guy should have replied that school systems here are managed and controlled by the socialists, they of course won’t tell you that.

My son, born and raised here in USA, went to GULAG (aka CA State) school system, one of the better districts in state. For a time we had no idea why, even though his teachers were telling us he is a bright kid, his grades were average no matter what we did. After he graduated high school I happened to meet a couple of his teachers in a casual setting (wine tasting) and after hearing them discuss their views on (then) current politics I finally understood why his grades were so low (solid Bs): he refused to take the typical GULAG socialist/communist view of the world and was asking and debating teachers at each opportunity. Most of the time they would not debate him, most of the time they would ask him to leave the class and not “affect the rest of the students” as they put it. But in either case, and the result of “behavior”, his grades were lowered enough not to raise our suspicions. At no time did our son complain to us and in retrospect I really wish he did so that I would have had an opportunity for “interesting” discussions with the school district.

If we want better future for our kids, then the first thing we must do is change our education system. It is beyond broke at this point.

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

What is immediately ironic is the word on the cap that dolt kid is wearing. “Obey”.

Occupy in theory is all about not obeying the status quo and system. In reality of course, they continue to show themselves as mindless… automatons after a fashion. Commanded to obey what the unions, DNC and Occupy leaders tell them to do.

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Totally OT: What cameras work best for situations like this? I assume they just hang on a lanyard, so the interviewee doesn’t realize they’re being filmed?

Daisy_WI on May 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I wonder if any of these kids have ever read anything by Orwell? 1984 and Animal Farm were required reading in high school.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Love this…

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

The main thing I think these Occupiers don’t understand – which this kid illustrates very nicely – is that centralized power in the government leads to terrible things. They are so convinced that the “greedy wall street fat cats” or “rich CEOS” are the ones who are to blame for everything that they’d gladly give Obama and his ilk supreme powers to take out those “damn rich people”.

It’s how Darth Sidious became the Emperor (yes, I’m a dork).

VinceOfDoom on May 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Daisy_WI on May 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The post doesn’t say if he knows he’s being filmed or not, but at one point he looks directly into the camera.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Soviet Union had these brigades, called Komsomol (“young communist”), they were indoctrinated at a young age, 13-14, and brought up to become their “brown shirts” in essence.

EVERYTHING, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, we see with the advent of Hussein in recent years. has been nothing but a Lenin and CO. play book. From class warfare and wealth redistribution (look up USSR in the 1930s when millions perished for refusing to “share”) to graft at the highest level (live like a king while your minions barely feed themselves).

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM

What’s a Soviet Union?

/OWS Kids

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

That was amazing and inspired hope. God Bless that gentleman for doing what the public schools in this country have chosen not to do.

txmomof6 on May 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Bless his heart. You could see him struggling with cognitive dissonance.

sandspur on May 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM

How do I get these videos to play? None of the mrctv videos ever play for me.

jeffn21 on May 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Former Soviet Refugee Guy 2012!

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

The Notorious G.O.P on May 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

My mother fled Cuba at 15 when castro was cracking down.
When she saw what obama and the dems were doing, and said this is how it started there, I took notice.

Hard Right on May 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I assumed it was referring to former Dem. Rep. Dave Obey. More irony, Shepard Fairey, famous for the Obama “Hope” poster, was originally known because of his “Obey” graffiti/stickers.

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

In the Rex Stout book The Doorbell Rang, a grateful client asked the main character Nero Wolfe the following question. “Is there anything you can’t do?”

To which Wolfe replies. “Yes, I can’t pour sense into the mind of a fool. I’ve tried.”

Every time I see one of those brainwashed kids, and see them crumble under the logical debate. I hear people tell me we should be heartened, as the youth isn’t lost.

Then almost invariably within a week, once the kid has had his original beliefs reinforced, he’s back. Just as loud, and obnoxious as before.

I suppose you could try. I on the other hand, have long ago given up trying to pour sense into the mind of a fool. They may purport to have learned, but in reality, they are simply running away and will quickly forget the lesson you’ve taught.

Snake307 on May 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I had the same thought. The dolt is talking about wanting a “true democracy” when it is clear he doesn’t have a clue what he means by the term.

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Snake307 on May 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

A lot of it is fads and peer pressure. The left is all about conformity and if he doesn’t conform to group think he will be separated from the herd. If he’s one of those people who’s identity relies on what other’s think of him, he’s going to stay inside what looks to be the latest fad “OWS” movement.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Snake307, the reason why you cannot reason with them is because they did not arrive at their beliefs thru rational thinking.
Liberalism is narcissism. In the end, it’s all about them, feeling good about themselves, and superior to others.

Hard Right on May 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

“Why doesn’t anyone ever talk about that?”

If he’s honestly never heard of the millions and millions of people killed by the USSR over the years, he must be well protected against all but the most liberal of new sources.

Props to him for at least being willing to engage in an honest conversation. Most people would have said “Whatever dude” and wandered off.

JadeNYU on May 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I really feel sorry for that kid—he is so naïve and has been deceived into being such a sheeple. But at least he seems to be open to SOME debate and is TRYING to engage in a meaningful conversation.

I attended church with an immigrant from Russia for a while, and his knowledge and appreciation of our system and its virtues were humbling. His ability to reason simply and clearly was also impressive. These poor occupy kids. If they only knew the inevitable results of their goals. Eastern Europeans understand all too well.

History education—real education about the FACTS of history—is our only hope. Our schools are incredibly inept (perhaps purposefully so) on this front, as driven home so eloquently by our Russian friend in this video.

guitarman67 on May 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM

At least we will get a break from the occupy movement when Phish goes on tour this summer.

flstc on May 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

The US and Israel want to “take over” Iran? News to me. Maybe we should just Occupy it instead.

8thAirForce on May 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM

That Guy 2012

Good Lt on May 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I despair, I despair of the education our young people are not getting.

RebeccaH on May 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The vid illustrates the awesome contributions many immigrants make to our nation.

Yet we still have ignorant conservatives (some here at HotAir) who oppose legal immigration.

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That has to be one of the most stupid and dishonest statements ever posted on HA. There is just no excuse for ignorance and dishonesty of that magnitude.

Solaratov on May 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

That’s how it mostly starts. But with some it becomes the way of life. My father-in-law still believes that Stalin was a great man and that peons MUST obey everything that communist leadership tells them to do, without any further thought nor hesitation. Lukashenko in his mind is a great leader, and so is Putin.

Progressive liberalism cannot be cured, its a mind set, a degenerative gene for sure, and I have yet to see one such person wake up one day and say, You know what, I was wrong.

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The kid reminds me of some of my former students. Naive, well meaning…and brainwashed.

If you could give him just one book to read to educate him even further, what would it be?

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I don’t blame the Kid in this video for his ignorance . I blame the education system and those who fill his head with false facts and historical distortions. His intentions are honorable but his facts are outright lies.

It’s cliche to point this out but the old saying ” Those who do not learn from History are condemned to repeat it ” never rang more true.

Except I fear the next time a Socialist/Communist nightmare takes foot it will be in the US , Canada, or some western country.

This young man has been duped and has been fed a LIE about democracy, capitalism and western civilization in general. He IS a ” Useful Idiot” and I bet it would shock him to be told that HE is probably as capable of committing atrocity in the name of Equality and balance ( Just as the K’mer Rouge had done and just as the soviets or Chinese fooled their people into believing they were doing a greater good as well) armed with the ignorance he has than ANY of the Capitalists or Greedy people he denounces.

Scalpeloftruth on May 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Seriously misguided statement. Just to be polite. Others would and should call it moronic. To be polite, again.

WE HAVE LEGAL IMMIGRATION policy, it seems to be working just fine. It did, for me, for the guy whose video you just watched, and hundreds of thousands of our compatriots. We ALL came here LEGALLY, abiding by the laws in USA Constitution. We applied for entry and patiently waited, outside of USA, for months, some for years, to get approved by the USA government guidelines (no communists, no criminals, etc.). Some were rejected in the process and ended up going elsewhere.

But do not confuse yourself and others, the system EXISTS and works just fine. LEGAL IMMIGRATION system.

What you are talking about is allowing ILLEGALS gain citizenship. Like I said, criminals are not allowed by the immigration law to gain entry nor become a citizen. Simply crossing the border, ILLEGALLY, should disqualify anyone from applying for citizenship. THERE IS A LAW ON THE BOOKS. We’re a lawful society, are we not?

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression.

Essentially a body count of communism’s victims in the 20th century, the book draws heavily from recently opened Soviet archives. The verdict: communism was responsible for between 85 million and 100 million deaths in the century.

The Red Terror

I don’t think there are that many dupes left in the OWS movement. It’s been taken over by Anarchist who know perfectly well what Socialism, Communism and Fascism look like and the outcomes.

I overlap with them in one area the United States Government has been captured by financial oligarchy. But what Anarchist are proposing is jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

My advice to the clueless kids thinking they are part of some hipster movement. “Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things” title of an old horror movie. Old Horrors never die, they just get recycled and re-branded.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

“Государство – это насилие” – В. И. Ленин, 1917 г.

“The state – is violence” – V. I. Lenin, 1917

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The Federalist Papers and a copy of the United States Constitution.

Conservative4Ever on May 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“Liberal Fascism”, Jonah Goldberg.

“Radical Son”, David Horowitz.

If those don’t at least get him curious, he’s beyond redemption.

runawayyyy on May 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

runawayyyy on May 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I’d suggest Andrew Breitbart’s Righteous Indignation and David Mamet’s The Secret Knowledge. Both were liberals before reexamining their lives.

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

“Destructive Generation” also by David Horowitz.

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Where the Wild Things Are

redmama on May 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Artists need to eat?

Well, sure. And they have two good choices on how to go about doing so. One, they can produce and sell a sufficient volume of art (that someone else wishes to buy) so as to feed themselves from their art. Two, they can find a job to suport themselves, and engage in their art as a hobby. The other alternative seems to be to find a way to mooch a living off of others.

krome on May 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM

It’s disconcerting to me that these artists feel that they have societal role to be the “mirror of you,” as in the sign in the photo above.

They flatter themselves. Lady, you aren’t my mirror. You aren’t society’s mirror. Who gave you the assignment to be my mirror? You have no clue about my religious or conservative (for example) values, so how can you reflect them for the consumption of the general public? You’re just reflecting the sick, L3ftist ideology that permeates your brain.

Please get a job. Be productive. Pay your “fair share” of taxes. We can’t have the millionaires carrying you anymore. There’s not enough millionaires to go around these days.

FlatlanderByTheLake on May 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig” by Susan Schaefer MacCauley (sp?)

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

See:

Breitbart, Andrew
Klaavan, Andrew
Horowitz, David
Whittle, Bill
Robin of Berkeley

there are many more…..

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Hey, thanks for the book suggestions. I haven’t read some of them and I need to!

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Leave Your Tears in Moscow
Armonas, Barbara
1961

Absolute must read is:

The Gulag Archipelago

Guaranteed, you would be persona non grata in the faculty lounge when they found out.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

i’m tired of my fellow conservatives making fun of artists.

we work hard just like everyone else does. do you think what we do is easy?? other than the type of art that is randomly splattering paint onto a canvas, (lol) art is not something anyone can do with no experience. we have to practice for years to increase our skill level. it’s difficult!!

all the movies, TV, and books you read/see, and the clothes you wear and graphics you look at and enjoy, are made by hard-working artists whom you have no respect for.

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Solaratov on May 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

You obviously haven’t read any of ernestos’ comments.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Hollywood and the entertainment industry turns out a lot of pap meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. After watching the video and reading the signs, I would say they hit pay dirt.

The Star of ACCEPTED Justin Long was also in another comedy titled “Idiocracy”. Directed by Mike Judge of Beavis and Butthead MTV fame. So it’s not like the entertainment industry doesn’t share an inside joke about dumbing down the American population or anything/ Still not convinced? SEE Maher’s Morons.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I’m hard of hearing, the background noise was so distracting I couldn’t hear what was said. Listening, watching most video is futile for me. (There is rarely closed captioning.) Ok, I’ve complained. Now, I would have love to see a transcript of what was said.

Little Nell on May 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

i’m tired of my fellow conservatives making fun of artists.

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Conservatives have a great deal of respect for talented artists. What we despise are demands that we subsidize the lifestyle. However, you are in college and still forming your worldview. Trust me, the reality of travelling through life will educate you.

“I never let schooling get in the way of my education.”
-Mark Twain

BTW, your work looks very good. You have a good grasp of perspective, viewing angle and shading. My schooling was in Mechanical/Architectual Drafting. CAD and the liberal atmosphere almost sunk me. I was apprehensive of computers back then. I went back the the Marine Corps and never looked back.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I wonder if the kid would have paid attention and been so polite if it were a run-of-the-mill American that was talking to him, or if the man got extra points for ‘sounding foreign’.

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

LegendHasIt on May 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Good point. I’m positive it made him pay more attention. Perhaps, I’ll start hanging out at OWserfests and do a Yakov Smirnoff impersonation.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I’m tired of my fellow conservatives making fun of artists…

All the movies, TV, and books you read/see, and the clothes you wear and graphics you look at and enjoy, are made by hard-working artists whom you have no respect for.

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

As a fellow conservative artist I must say we are in the minority in our field. I once asked an OWS-type artist, who has the money and wallspace to buy your “passion?” Do you want the government to tell you what to create?

I don’t take the poking of fun personally. That woman’s (or man’s?) sign is embarrassing and insulting to me as an artist.

Laborers of The soul
Mirrors of you

AND WE NEED TO EAT
………………………………TOO!

Seriously? I’m not a fragile little snowflake, I have excellent eye-hand coordination and a strong work ethic. That sign is a big ole mess for someone who wants to earn a living as an artist. Or, does she or he just want to make art for art’s sake and have the government pay for her existence and subsistence?

You can’t demand respect, you have to earn it. Don’t take it personally, that artist and that sign are deserving of mockery.

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I liked that kid. He’s uninformed and a little misguided but I think he can learn the error of his ways. Far too many of those “occupiers” are a total loss to our society.

CVMA-Dredd on May 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

’m tired of my fellow conservatives making fun of artists.

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

If you all werent retarded we would.

tom daschle concerned on May 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

i’m tired of my fellow conservatives making fun of artists.

Sachiko on May 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I have no respect for those who demand I should respect them. Earn it or go pout to your mommy.

Conservative4Ever on May 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The video… is painful. Idiot full of opinions, zero knowledge.

Kenosha Kid on May 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I didn’t think it was possible to be this stupid. This is what happens when you get your news from John Stewart. The former Soviet citizen quoting Ben Franklin was priceless; although I heard a slight variation: by definition, democracy means majority rule – therefore, by definition a lynch mob is a democracy (there is only one dissenting vote).

ghostwalker1 on May 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

riddick on May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It’s not broken; to believe it is, is naivete. It’s doing exactly what it was designed to do.

squint on May 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Best line ever “the schools around here are horrible. All liberal “

nachomamma on May 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM

That is some severe ignorance. And the child can’t do simple deductive reasoning. How embarrassing. How scary that this is what tens of thousands of dollars in education produces.

Portia46 on May 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I had to feel sorry for the kid a little. He looked like he was about to cry in a few places.

darcee on May 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Artist in pink cap.

If people want your art, you’ll eat just fine. If nobody wants it, then, well, nobody wants it. (Good Reason TV video here.)

Tzetzes on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Seems like a good kid. he is only repeating what he has been taught in school. TFB really….

tractah on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Watched the entire video. It demonstrates that we need to educate our youth, which apparently we aren’t doing so well anymore. Great job by the guy from the former Soviet Union and his friend!

Is this the same man who questioned the occupy people last year? Was it Vladimir?

Maybe we should start an “Educate the Occupiers” movement or something.

dogsoldier on May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

tractah on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

So he just isn’t curious? I bet that same kid has a computer, and could have Googled everything that immigrant schooled him with. He’s not interested in knowledge, he’s interested in posturing -protesting “The Man”.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Tzetzes on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The sad truth that the hipster artist just won’t acknowledge.

B-b-but, I did this!!”

Your point?

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

This.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

darcee on May 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Somewhat natural reaction to your indoctrinated worldview being shattered by someone with personal experience.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek

and

Ameritopia by Mark Levin

I second the recommendation above for Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg!

And I appreciate the suggestion above for Radical Son, which is on my shelf and just moved up to the top of my priority reading list.

wren on May 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My daughter studied ballet under Russian teachers. Every last one of them, and the Russian dancers in the company, was conservative, anti-Socialist, anti-Communist, and fervently pro-America. They all knew exactly what the left is trying to lead us to, that’s the horror that they all escaped.

They are also artists who know the reality of low pay and few benefits. Instead of expecting a handout, they all work extra jobs, usually teaching, to make ends meet.

They are also all about strict personal discipline, there is no coddling from Russian ballet teachers, they are tougher than military drill instructors and more demanding. Dancers are strong athletes, usually performing while in pain, yet give us such beauty. There is no room for whining. If all of our school teachers were like them, our country would be a far better place.

Common Sense on May 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

PattyJ on May 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“Economics in One Lesson.” by Henry Hazlitt is great.

ebrown2 on May 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Glad he came to America.

RMOccidental on May 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Sadly, I bet the guy was back to handing out his Occupy Wall Street Journal within 10 minutes, repeating the same stupid slogans and nonsense about worldwide shadowy capitalist conspiracies.

He will rationalize that the fast talking capitalism lover confused and bamboozled him, or something. The guy is one of the sheep. Once he gets back to his herd he’ll forget all about the fast talking capitalism lover, concluding the guy has been brain washed and bought off by the shadowy cabal of capitalists who secretly rule the world.

farsighted on May 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM