Video: What a history lesson can do for an Occupier

posted at 9:21 am on May 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The irony here, of course, is that the history lesson of democracy gets delivered by a former refugee from the former Soviet Union, but the history lesson doesn’t just end with the USA.  One young man tried to pass an “Occupy Wall Street Journal” to two men observing the protests, and ended up gaining an education in history, politics, economics, and statecraft.  Give the young Occupier credit, as Joe Schoffstall says — he was at least willing to listen.  I’m not sure he was actually convinced, but he at least knew better than to keep arguing:

You might be tempted to stop after a couple of minutes, but stick to it all the way through to the end.  It shows what one man can do when he’s armed with the facts, as well as a little moral authority from having lived through a socialist nightmare.  His companion tells him at the end, “I’m very proud of you,” and I’d bet more than a few people here would be as well.

And at least the young man still had the capacity to learn. Ringo and Zombie document some of the mental incapacity found at the Occupy LA rally last week, including these images:

I’m an old tech-pubs editor, and I don’t think I could diagram that sentence, even with my extensive experience.  Then there are those who just can’t deal with reality:

Here’s a better question: why should I have to pay for you?  Or, for that matter, this guy:

If you need to eat, then I suggest you find ways to feed yourself.  If your art isn’t doing it for you, it’s time to consider another career.  Understandably, someone this dense has limited prospects anyway, but obviously it’s time to give it a try.

That’s why engagement will probably only work with a select few, but it is important to keep trying.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“Artists are Workers”
And they need to eat too….

Occupy Moochelle’s garden then.

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

But I am sure that Mr Top Hat is cool with Ocare. You shouldn’t have to pay to live on the planet only if you are born in this country.

Dawnsblood on May 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Young and dumb.

That’s basically what it amounts to.

On paper it all sounds great, free love, equality, liberty and all that…

Logus on May 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Instead of Squatting…
Plant a seed..

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That’s quite a nice sign the “artist” made up for the protest. His craft will take him far.

pain train on May 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

But do they know the difference between a carrier’s commander and the Commander in Chief?

rogerb on May 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Just shows that we need to throw more money at our education system!!!!! /libs

search4truth on May 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

But I am sure that Mr Top AssHat is cool with Ocare.
Dawnsblood on May 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM

FIFY

pain train on May 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Thank you, Voltaire, Rosseau, Hegel, Kant, Marx et al. Warm where you are, is it?

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM

pain train on May 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM

It’s a matter of laziness.
They don’t even want to try.
I’d like to slap their (probably single)parent.

askwhatif on May 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Agreed, engage, engage, engage. The truth will dispell them of the innane garbage being fed to them. But those who refuse to get it will gorw up to be outcasts and marginalized.

jake49 on May 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Around 7:30, you can see this kid’s eyes just shut down. He realizes that he’s wasting his life.

Washington Fancy on May 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

So this is what Yakov Smirnoff is doing these days??

Awesome!

beedubya on May 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

…so this is what we get for our “investment” in public education?
OMG!…It just seems to get worse!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

“Artists are Workers”
And they need to eat too….

Occupy Moochelle’s garden then.

Help yourself to stray dogs. #recipesfrommyfather

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

TugboatPhil on May 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Someone should suggest that the laborer of the soul should visit Julia’s community garden to see whether he can mooch some free produce.

I wonder how Julia and her community-garden colleagues would react.

BuckeyeSam on May 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Someone should get Stossel and Lovitz to go out and interview these clowns. Stossel’s snarkiness, in particular, is hilarious.

BuckeyeSam on May 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Oh, the irony of Leftists complaining about police power… while supporting Socialism… a system in which the government controls everything.

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Artists are mirrors of me? No thanks, sister, if you can’t find gainful employment in your art field then it’s time to either get a different career or be happy in your poverty. I’m not hip to paying your bills because your life’s dream is to twist baling wire into little animal shapes.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Free Speechless.

samazf on May 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Aw. I think we’ve found a date/sperm donor for “Julia”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

You can lead a Lib to knowledge but you can’t make him think.

HotAirian on May 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

“Artists are Workers”
And they need to eat too….

That’s why Leonardo Da Vinci was also a defense contractor.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Best thing I heard this clueless kid say: ” I don’t vote.”

Curmudgeon on May 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This poor kid. You can tell that this is the first time in a long time that he was actually challenged to think. This is what a public education has done to our kids.

dirtseller on May 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Former Soviet Refugee Guy 2012!

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Resist we much!

The Rogue Tomato on May 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

what a great video

DanMan on May 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

That kid walked away and within 5 minutes his mind was right back where it started. You can lead a leftist to knowledge but you can’t make him think.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If you need to eat, then I suggest you find ways to feed yourself. If your art isn’t doing it for you, it’s time to consider another career. Understandably, someone this dense has limited prospects anyway, but obviously it’s time to give it a try.

A better example is that I would love to be the starting QB of the Cowboys. I’m not though. It isn’t because life is not fair and evil people who rule the world prevent me from being the QB of the Cowboys. It is because I suck. If I tried to offer my QB services to the NFL and they refused, then I will try something else. Since I cannot play professional sports, I work in an office and sports are a hobby, not job. If this girl’s art is not good enough to make her a lot of money, then her art needs to become a hobby, not a career.

jeffn21 on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I can’t tell if the artist is male or female.

Bitter Clinger on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I’d love to know the educational background of the kid in the video. He is shockingly ignorant (“I don’t think there have ever been any socialist countries; Israel is going to take over Iran,” etc.), but I’d be willing to bet he has at least a college education.

Thanks again, liberals, for “educating” our youth.

AZCoyote on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Priceless!

HotJavaJack on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I keep trying to make this point to a member of my family with zero success. For some reason that baffles me they just can’t grasp that whole “provide what someone will pay for” concept and that awful “work: thing…

dogsoldier on May 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

“They start wars, they use money to get more money, you know, all that kind of shiite.”

Yessir, another erudite spokesman for the OWS.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

The best part was when the occupier said “God bless capitalism”

bluesman on May 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I can’t tell if the artist is male or female.

Bitter Clinger on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It’s Pat!

BacaDog on May 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Israel wants to expand and take over Iran??

beedubya on May 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I can’t tell if the artist is male or female.

Bitter Clinger on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

…whatever ‘it’ is….’it’ needs to be 1/32 native american indian!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That’s why Leonardo Da Vinci was also a defense contractor.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Yes, it’s just too bad his helicopter design couldn’t be manufactured at that time. Just think what an advantage it would have given to his state’s army!

AZCoyote on May 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Oh snap, this kid is from ROC, NY. Please Canada, send those missiles and take out the teachers who teach our ROC area kids this crap.

Mekei on May 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Beautiful video.

Should just be turned into a TV ad.

so-notbuyingit on May 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

How sad for a young American to be given such a precise American History lesson by a new patriot. Even through his heavy Russian accent he sounds more like an American than the idiot passing out papers.

hawkdriver on May 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I can’t tell if the artist is male or female.

Bitter Clinger on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It probably doesn’t know either.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I shouldn’t have said idiot. He was listening.

hawkdriver on May 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

poor chap, never had a clue or chance. At least I will give him credit for listening and getting the facts.

jdsmith0021 on May 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I wondered what inthemiddle looked like… or is that libfreeordie?

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

OT – what’s up with the text sizes today? Is it just me?

BacaDog on May 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

This is why I steep my young sons in history.
The history of China, USSR, Germany, Japan, Vietnam
and the Middle East.
Most of the occupiers don’t understand that they would
be the ones out there supporting Lenin, Mao & Hitler.

I remember when protesting the then “HealthCare Legislation”
which became ObamaCare – we had many people show up
from former Soviet bloc countries to help spread the word
about what ObamaCare really was.

One man said it smelled like Communism…..

redguy on May 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Mekei on May 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

If they can hit the Buffalo Teachers on the way, it’d be appreciated. Free plastic surgery and 44% graduation rate for just $22,000 per student. What a bargain!

trubble on May 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Canada is indeed a capitalistic society, although many will go to their graves denying it.

And, ironically, the biggest failures are:

1) universal healthcare (which has death panels, death time tables and poor quality health care in general) The system has all but collapsed at this point.

2) trying to force bilingualism on the masses (which will never work)

Both totalitarian agendas, both utter failures.

They fight FOR union power and FOR big government and FOR the take down of natural resources; yet in their struggle, if they were not literally digging money out of the ground – they would have nothing.

so-notbuyingit on May 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM

That refugee is wonderful and gifted.

burt on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

The vid illustrates the awesome contributions many immigrants make to our nation.

Yet we still have ignorant conservatives (some here at HotAir) who oppose legal immigration.

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That mean old man took away that poor kid’s straw men and non sequiturs and left him with NOTHING! Oh, the humanity! How you can be proud of that?

\s

Kraken on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

You can lead a Lib to knowledge but you can’t make him think.
HotAirian on May 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I’m stealing that.

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

You poor thing.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

This guy has the patience of a saint! I’ll give the kid credit for listening and possibly even learning something, but I hope he sticks with his strategy of not voting. That’ll show the capitalist pigs who’s boss!

Naturally Curly on May 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Obviously parents somewhere neglected to point out to their offspring that ‘there’s no such thing as a FREE lunch’.

I’ll be more than happy to provide those folks with a job. Of course they’ll have to be willing TO WORK FOR FREE.

GarandFan on May 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I wondered what inthemiddle looked like… or is that libfreeordie?

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

It was neither. They wouldn’t have listened that long.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Honestly, you can’t really blame the younger generation for not knowing the horrors of the USSR and communist China.

If not for growing up during the nightmare of the USSR and reading about some of the problems and seeing it on the nightly news, I wouldn’t have known about it. We weren’t told about it in school and it was current events at the time.

And in current times we have a culture that embraces people like Che Guevara as heroes, who look up to government as a benefactor and never speak of the millions of people murdered by socialist/communist leaders.

Most of the younger generation hear the word socialist and do not think it’s a bad thing. They’re truly puzzled why the older generations are disgusted by it.

If children were taught the truth about the inevitable consequences of their Utopian vision, the vast majority would repel it. Of course, there will always be the hardcore nimrods that will always believe communism/socialism didn’t work because it wasn’t “done right” or “their way”.

ButterflyDragon on May 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I’m sure the young Occupier’s “Obey” hat didn’t sit well with a Soviet refugee, but he was willing to listen.

There are millions of young American voters too young to remember Communism, Lech Walesa, 1989, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and Ronald Reagan, and most high schools don’t teach students about history since World War II.

So they need to be taught history by those who have “been there, done that”, such as a Russian immigrant forced to “Obey” his government for decades…

Steve Z on May 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

The best part was when the occupier said “God bless capitalism”

bluesman on May 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Second best, as I’m not sure he meant it.

Best part? When he said “I don’t vote.” Gave me some hope!

IrishEyes on May 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

He definitely has to be the product of the Rochester City School District. Graduation rate hovers around 50% here and that’s AFTER they’ve fudged the numbers.

The guy holding the camera sounds like the same guy who visited another encampment last year where he was questioning the squatters and answering them with “Oh reeeeealy”.

NYconservative on May 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

It was neither. They wouldn’t have listened that long.

CurtZHP on May 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Much less understood what was being explained to them.

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

By the end of the video the youth realized he had been taken to school. I think we need to hire more folks who lived in the USSR and the Eastern Bloc nations to teach.igh school and college. Maybe an exercise in what the governments in socialist/communist countries do to those who protest the state, that ought to scare the crap out of them.

But you don’t have to go far to see a country that will violate your “rights”. In 1968 college students in Mexico disappeared so they would not interfere with the Olympics that year.

banzaibob on May 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Knowledge beat down extreme. I doubt it but maybe just maybe that kid will go home and actually start to think about what he was told.

jistincase on May 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

The wisdom and experiences of the Soviet ex-pats are lost on this limacoid.

It was a moving video.

vinceautmorire on May 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Really? Who are they? Most of the comments I’ve read here have no issue with legal immigration.

AZCoyote on May 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I’m curious, which conservative group is running on a platform that opposes LEGAL immigration?

ButterflyDragon on May 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I want to buy that patriot a drink. The lack of basic knowledge on that kid’s part flabbergasted me – I mean, seriously? He didn’t know that people used to disappear off the streets in the USSR all the time? I’m sure he’s heard of the word “gulag,” how can he not know where it comes from? Bozhe moi, I weep for our country’s future.

I’m so glad I’m homeschooling my daughter next year, and that my boys are going to a good private school until I can handle homeschooling them (they have developmental delays, but are rapidly catching up). Good parents don’t let their kids turn into Occupiers!

Anna on May 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That they do. Most of us would not even be here if not for our immigrant ancestors. Legal immigration is vital, although the process is a mess. Illegal immigration is just that; illegal, and should always be opposed for that reason. Loss of borders = loss of security = loss of sovereignty.

IrishEyes on May 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

ButterflyDragon on May 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The Straw Man Coalition

mankai on May 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

That smackdown was impressive. And the kid, although clueless, was very polite.

txsurveyor on May 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM

You know, the kid was throwing out all the usual Occupy talking points, but I was hopeful in the end – he was clean-cut, polite and at least was able to engage and understand the discussion.

underdog on May 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

If Palestinians disarmed, there would be peace;
if Israel disarmed, there would be no more Israel.
True words.

ExpressoBold on May 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

That soviet man was genius! I would love to shake his hand!

tvor03 on May 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

So this is what Yakov Smirnoff is doing these days??

Awesome!

beedubya on May 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You may be more right than you know.

fusionaddict on May 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I have read HA for many years and cannot for the life of me remember anyone on this site condemning legal immigration. Can you please provide an example?

Legal immigrants are what makes this Nation the great melting pot that it is. I have seldom seldom found greater patriots than a recent legal immigrant that has chosen to assimilate with this wonderful country.

vinceautmorire on May 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I would love to have a conversation with the Russian man here. Very well done. Imagine how effective he would be if he could use a human microphone to get his message across to the whole group.

mdavt on May 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Is it bad that through the entire video, I just kept thinking that the main guy talking sounded exactly like this guy?

MadisonConservative on May 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I am proud of the foreigner for explaining how great our country really is and of the young man that was respectful enough to listen. I hope the young man took some of that common sense home with him.

SgtRed on May 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I love how they act like they can’t be artists when they get home from work.

WeekendAtBernankes on May 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hippies and fish smell after three days.

Just imagine what a hundred fish would smell like after they’d been sitting on the sidewalk for 30 years. That’s the part that doesn’t quite come through on TV — thank God.

logis on May 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Harvard Law graduate?

Typicalwhitewoman on May 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I haven’t seen a single one. I have zero problem with legal immigrants, and I welcome them. I have 99 problems with illegal aliens(but a b*tch ain’t one), and I want them deported.

MadisonConservative on May 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That was actually sad to watch.

I hope that guy actually walked away and used his brain. I tend to doubt that he puts much thought into any of it. Sad, and embarrassing. He got one thing right, our education system Sucks. That is so sad to me.
I like at the end where the man said he was proud also said, “i wish you could have shown him these materials”
I agree. Imagine, spreading facts
to lost American kids.
I’m just sad.

bridgetown on May 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Gonna go out on a limb and say – this kid’s parents are responsible for his complete lack of knowledge and common sense. My (public) high school freshman is not only properly inocolulated against lefty-propaganda, he’s one of the few who knows who the VP of the US is, is required to READ at home, and is exposed to parents who READ, THINK and ANALYZE.

Not a gray pony tail in sight, here, folks (though at 53 and 61, we could (!!). And no bumper-sticker slogans parading as political thought.

exliberal on May 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“Inoculated” – sorry, couldn’t go back and correct it!!!

exliberal on May 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

In Soviet Russia, the police Occupy You!

catmman on May 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

itsnotaboutme on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Why would you say that conservative have a problem with legal immigration? It’s not true. You are the one who is ignorant.

Night Owl on May 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

That kid reminds me a LOT of my son. He’s misguided largely as a result of the fact that he is simply ignorant of history and what is really happening in the world, and all he hears from his peers and educators is nonsense.

He was willing to listen. He may not have been convinced right then and there, but he will think about what he heard. Give him a few years and he will come around. I’ve seen it happen.

Those who are truly lost are those who refuse to listen to an idea or notion or fact that is contrary to their own worldview. The one’s whose response is essentially “Shut up. If you want to talk to me, we will not discuss this”. Sadly, I have a couple of those in my family too.

SteveThomas on May 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Ed – I think you’re off about the last one.

The problem isn’t career change.

The problem is she was taught commercial artistry is bad.

I’d bet you she has talent.

…but she’s been engrained to believe that if she makes money on that talent in a non-pure artistic form, she’s corrupting its art.

Talent, or lack of, is not the problem with these people; its perception of what is appropriate utilization of said talent.

budfox on May 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

What a different world we would live in if rather than memorized bumper sticker slogans, only facts would occupy these peoples’ brains.

Greek Fire on May 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

That kid said one really good thing. “I don’t vote.” In every cloud there’s a silver lining.

Oldnuke on May 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Thank you for knowing more about history then some of our own kids. Thank you for believing in America more than some of them. Thank you sir for coming to America…

Asianeyes704 on May 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This is a serious example of what today’s youth is not being taught in school. Individual freedom, individual thought, and personal responsiblilty have been replaced with liberal pablum.

Ufdaubet on May 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The most intelligent thing the young idiot had to say was that he doesn’t vote.

katy on May 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I really like the strong design on the sign the ‘artist’ held up. Nice font, kerning and lettering there.

Steve White on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Oh for crying out loud… KILL THE PAGE REFRESH!

I was halfway through listening to the USSR guy educate this Occupy guy, and all of a sudden the page refreshes and I lose my place.

This is the most amateurish thing I’ve seen in years on the web, somewhere around the level of the old GeoCities sites.

dominigan on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM