Video: Bold new critic of Obama’s class warfare nonsense getting bolder by the day

posted at 5:41 pm on May 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, the third in an ongoing (and, judging by the page views, extremely popular) series. I’m going to give you two words and I want you to think hard before you react: Romney/Lovitz. It’ll be a fusion ticket. Republican and Democrat, stiff and comedian, trim and husky — basically a Romney/Christie ticket, in other words, except with slightly less gubernatorial experience. If you think Christie’s tough on liberal pieties, wait until Vice President Lovitz starts dropping F-bombs on the “Occupy” crowd.

Actually, contra my headline, is it really true that Lovitz is getting bolder by the day? Pay close attention at the end of the clip, where he appears to agree with Morgan about progressive taxation. His issue with Obama seems to be more rhetorical than substantive: It’s not that he minds asking the rich to pay more, it’s that he objects to the gassy “fair share” language and, especially, the grotesque class-warfare messaging of Occupy’s “99 percent” nonsense. I can’t tell at this point how sharply he disagrees with The One on policy specifics and how much is Lovitz just bristling at cheap populist demagoguery.

Exit question: Near the end, he tells Morgan that a lot of his Hollywood pals are disenchanted with Obama. Really? He means that they’re disenchanted because O isn’t quite liberal enough, right?

Comments

I sure hope he has a backup gig….

dogsoldier on May 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

and tons of insurance…

dogsoldier on May 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Acting!

pseudonominus on May 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

He’s going to be on O’Reilly tonight too.

JPeterman on May 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

“I thought this guy thinks like me and I agree with him. And now he’s changing.”

He obviously wasn’t paying attention.

Mark1971 on May 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

His Hollywood career is over NOW for sure.

FlaMurph on May 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I wonder what the going line is on Lovitz’s life expectancy.

darwin on May 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I can’t get it to play. AWwwwwww, shucks!

Laura in Maryland on May 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Seroiusly on the back up gig. I would think that they could use him or people like him that understand the entertainment industry and Brietbart or some other conservative activist organization.

We also have Opie’s brother on our side, although I have to say, I am surprised that the latest Hollywood conservative to come out is Jon Lovitz, but then it surprises me that there are any in Hollywood at all.

He’s a man too, which will make it much less fun for Maher to make nasty jokes about him. He’ll have to ask Dan Savage for some material.

earlgrey133 on May 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He’s “evolving” not “changing“, Jon.

Evolving“, yeah, that’s the ticket!

Maybe the Dems can replace FORWARD with EVOLVING.

profitsbeard on May 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Ugh. I hate the mediaite player. Such a pain to get it to play.

Scrappy on May 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Well, Lovitz did beat the crap out of Andy Dick about five years ago, so he’s got that going for him.

trubble on May 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I am surprised that the latest Hollywood conservative to come out is Jon Lovitz[.]

earlgrey133 on May 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Lovitz is no conservative.

totherightofthem on May 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What does a comedian do when they are all washed up? Do the talk radio circuit. Next up to the stage Jackie Mason. Sh!t even when I was a Necon the washed up “celebs” they trot out were embarrassing.

LevStrauss on May 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

wait until Vice President Lovitz starts dropping F-bombs on the “Occupy” crowd.

He could tag team with Adam Carolla…..that’d be shhhweeet!

ted c on May 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I loved CATS. I’m going to see it again and again.

lorien1973 on May 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

disenchanted?

12 million estimate to be raised at george clooney’s little get together….

don’t think so

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

he couldn’t get a word in with morgan constantly interrupting him…

morgan and tingles, two peas in a pod

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Lovitz better hope for a job at Fox News, because he’ll never act in Hollywood again.

Oh, wait. He hasn’t worked in Hollywood since the mid-90′s. No harm done, I guess.

inthemiddle on May 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Hey, Piers. Let the man talk.

nicktjacob on May 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My favorite Jon Lovitz character is the devil. He’s a funny man, I didn’t realize until I listened to him, he’s also intelligent.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Love its the Lovitz….well, for today.

hillsoftx on May 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I can, with 99.99% accuracy predict the following:

1. Taxes will increase in 2013
2. Spending will increase in 2013
3. Lovitz will vote for Obama in 2012

angryed on May 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I wonder why all the Republican celebrities are around the Jon Lovitz level of celebrityhood? Why is it always C-listers and D-listers espousing right-wing opinions? Has anyone ever suggested a serious reason for this phenomenon?

And by “serious,” I mean an explanation other than the stupid “blacklist” theory.

Drew Lowell on May 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

He’s got guts to go on with these Obama cronies. The poor guy never got to finish a sentence.

Hening on May 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

inthemiddle on May 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Didn’t you watch the video? Lovitz opened a comedy club 3 years ago. He became an employer, and only started breaking even about a year and half ago. He’s been paying the difference out of his own pocket. Lovitz is self employed. If you are saying he’s a has been than so is Dan Aykroyd who opened The House of Blues chain.

Dr Evil on May 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Lovitz is suffering from SDMS – Sudden David Mamet Syndrome.

Symptoms include scales falling from your eyes and the ability to think and reason clearly, logically and maturely.

I think it’s spreading. Very slowly to be sure, but it is catching on!

Rixon on May 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Another one of them ironicals of life:

The Ad which cycled onto this page when I read this story was
“DON’T LET THE TEA PARTY TAKE THE SENATE”,
a plea for money from Joe Donnelly, the Dem who will face Tea-Party-backed Lugar-dumper Mourdock in Indiana.

Those ad placement algorithms aren’t quite perfect yet.

eeyore on May 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Dennis Miller needs to chime in and defend Lovitz. Give him some cover from the Lib Arrows that are sure to fly soon.

portlandon on May 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Lovitz and Morgan are a couple of libtard tools:

Morgan: So whose fault is it, the poor uneducated buyer or the big meannie from Wall Street?

Lovitz: Ahh, I don’t know!

How about C: the government engaging in social engineering?

Sorry, “C” is not an acceptable answer.

pain train on May 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I can, with 99.99% accuracy predict the following:

1. Taxes will increase in 2013 – only on the 47%ers
2. Spending will increase in 2013 – only on defense
3. Lovitz will vote for Obama in 2012 – he wont and neither will we, you and me ed

angryed on May 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

t8stlikchkn on May 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM

AP, I would be so bold as to submit the possibility that Lovitz never supported Obama in the first place (and likely was for Hilary, which is quite plausible) but was bullied into submission by the rest of the Hollywood elite simply out of fear of being blacklisted. And he probably wasn’t the only one.

Sounds far-fetched? Probably. But we know all too well the hell that any conservative of any type gets when they speak up on anything. It could be that this groupthink bullying extends to within their own ranks, and might be more pervasive than we think.

That could also explain why Lovitz had a “eureka” moment with regard to Obama’s class warfare tactics, considering that the Left generally has used them for decades as durable blanket attacks against any and all conservatives. But who really knows at this point.

Somehow I have the feeling that he’s still restraining himself from saying what he REALLY wants.

Myron Falwell on May 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I
Ike Lolita and I know he is a dem. but wat he is expressing I am sure is the feelings of many of the dem side. If you lost Lovitz the you lost the election

Conservative4ev on May 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Morgan Fairchild….

Oil Can on May 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Dang! If Piers Morgan isn’t annoying!

Lovitz did well, even used those ‘fact’ thingies that libs hate.

The telling part is how Piers presupposes that government cannot be run for less money and does no more than it should.

Pablo Snooze on May 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It’s like watching a Chris Mathews interview, but with a British accent. He bombards you with an unrelenting series of straw man arguments without ever letting you give a substantive answer. And when you give the one word yes/no answer…it’s all he’ll let you slip in…he’s got you confined to such a narrow position that your left open to the next bombing run.

He’s one of the worst interviewers I’ve ever seen. Does he really think he’s changing minds?

Tomolena1 on May 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Give him credit for admitting what a lot of people in Hollywood would never do.

rubberneck on May 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Piers Morgan is terrible as usual.

albill on May 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Drew Lowell on May 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Gary Sinese ain’t ‘C’ or ‘D’ level. Ditto John Voight, Robert Downey Jr., Andy Garcia, Joe Montegena, Fred Thompson, Tom Selleck…I could go on…

annoyinglittletwerp on May 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Tomolena1 on May 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Piers just makes you want to go to the natural history museum, dig up the fossil of Larry King, and put him back in that time slot. He’s that bad, and that unwatchable.

CNN is apparently not interested in getting any ratings from anyone.

Myron Falwell on May 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Piers Morgan is a moron. Not once does he mention the fact that the government was the main reason we had an economic meltdown.

Incandescent on May 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Be careful John…this is not the conversation that Eric Holder was talking about.

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Sorry, I mean “Jon”…

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM

He means that they’re disenchanted because O isn’t quite liberal enough, right?

That and there are others who just don’t like paying high taxes. Remember, the Beatles moved to the U.S. because they didn’t like paying taxes, but that doesn’t mean they ever stopped being liberal. Just didn’t want to pay the money themselves, see, but it was okay in principle for everyone else–especially greedy Republicans on Wall Street.

I haven’t heard any substantial criticism of either Obama or Democratic policies from Lovitz–just a lot of whining. He’s no hero of mine.

Burke on May 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I’m glad Lovitz is finally coming around to some sense of rationality, but Barky the Dog-Eater ran on a “Spread the Wealth” campaign. Just look at the O’Reilly interview during the campaign where O’Reilly called him a socialist (before O’Reilly nuzzled his nose so far up Barky’s butt that he could get hit in the face with freshly chewed dog meat).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

His point is that he doesn’t mind a progressive tax system where the rich pay a higher rate, he just thinks they, the rich, are already paying their fair share and being unfairly demonized.

clearbluesky on May 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Nope. Not this time.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Though Lovitz isn’t really coming around that much. He wants a more progressive tax system. He just objects to Barky the Dog-Eater trying to start class warfare. But that’s what marxism is all about. It’s not the money, it’s the class warfare. Then the money comes!

Lovitz still embraces terrible, stupid policy. He just hates being called names by a guy he wants to implement the stupid policies that Lovitz supports.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Do remember that the “spread the wealth around” only was revealed when Obama was off-teleprompter, speaking directly to Joe the Plumber. After that took place, the campaign did all they could to whitewash that remark AND ruin Joe’s reputation.

The rest of the campaign was all hype, with socialist dogma being obscured by Greek columns, USSR-esque posters and talk of “hope” and “change.”

Myron Falwell on May 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Lovitz and I may not agree on a lot of issues, but at least he has the guts to dare criticize his party’s leader. Lots of people, on both sides by the way, refuse to do so.

Plus, I’ve had a growing respect for him for a couple years now after his publicized beat down of Andy Dick for contributing to Phil Hartman’s murder.

nextgen_repub on May 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

clearbluesky on May 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yes, but he also talks a great deal about capital gains, that it’s double taxation, and that onerous taxes bring less, not more, tax revenue and hurt investment in the economy.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Could this host really be as DUMB as he appears? The poor stupid people who were taken advantage of by ACORN pressuring banks, through the threat of thousands of protesters yelling “RACISTS!!! RACISTS!!!!” outside the banks, to give people loans they can’t afford to ever pay back, are just too dumb to have realized that this was going to cause a problem when all those loans were defaulted on?

Is that what this tool is saying?

Strike Hornet on May 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

But, again, that was a specific issue that was well revealed during the dem primary when Barky said that, even ASSUMING that raising captial gains taxes would result in reduced receipts, he would still do it because it’s a matter of … “fairness”.

Everything Lovitz is talking about was way out in the open from the beginning.

And Lovitz misses the main fact of capital gains (it’s not just about double taxation, it often isn’t) – you risk the capital in order to get the gain. It’s interest and dividends that are double-taxed, generally.

I think Lovitz will eventually come around, for real, but he’s hasn’t moved that far, yet. This is just a testament to how un-AMerican and weird Barky the Dog-Eater is.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Lovitz is no conservative.

totherightofthem on May 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

No. Not at all.

Jonny boy, he never changed. You just weren’t paying attention.

Actors! Not genuis.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Piers Morgan is a moron.

Understatement of the day.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Hey..maybe Lovitz can become a regular on Red Eye. Might be fun.
Yahh, that’s the ticket….

shannon76 on May 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The best thing about this and several other interesting quips is that it is starting to look like some leaks in the dam. I know they have lots of fingers to plug the leaks just not sure millions of independents will line up to help like 2008.

sdbatboy on May 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Drew Lowell on May 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Patricia Heaton and Angie Harmon are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Flora Duh on May 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Dennis Miller and Lovitz should do a tour.

Mojave Mark on May 9, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Hey..maybe Lovitz can become a regular on Red Eye. Might be fun.
Yahh, that’s the ticket….

shannon76 on May 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I would love to see that.

98ZJUSMC on May 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

right on right on Jon..what a total tool Piers Morgan is

sadsushi on May 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Hening on May 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

…interrupting or ‘talking over’ people is mandatory for liberals.

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Perhaps when Jon became a business owner, investing in his own business, he began to see what capital gains are. He’s also bristling at being called a 1 percenter. He’s a business owner, investing his own capital, creating jobs, and taking legal deductions for investing his own capital, NOT taking legal loopholes….he also cracks me up. Adam Sandler must be working on him. The men in the cast of the Wedding Singer all seem to be “somewhat” conservative

skeeterbite on May 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

This class warfare stuff is never about getting the so-called one percent to pay their “fair share”. They can never pay enough to satisfy the OWSers. On the other hand, I doubt they ever really pay what the tax codes say they’re supposed to…whether that amount is fair, unfair or indifferent doesn’t matter.

It’s about screwing us average Americans, the middle class, and putting us in such dire economic straights so that we’re easier to manipulate and control (actually, I think we’re collectively sheeplish enough, but apparently not enough to suit those with strong ideologies, that is, we don’t have our “minds right”).

Who can name all of the members of the Federal Reserve board, or even the top ten CEOs of the biggest international banks/bankers’ banks off the top of their head? I sure can’t. But I haven’t any reason to believe that they’re scared of Dear Leader and his ilk or have suffered…indeed, I believe that they’re increasing their wealth and control.

We need to view Communism, Leftism, Marxism, whatever you want to call it on a higher level than even the lofty pseudo-intellectual BS spread about by the Bill Ayers crowd. Just because a man is chauffeured around in a Rolls Royce doesn’t mean that he isn’t in on it…it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t share some sort of common vision with the grubby Che Guevara types.

To me, modern Leftism is a continuation of the Enlightenment belief that only an intellectually elite, enlightened, visionary clique is fit to determine how Mankind shall exist into the future. The problem isn’t us Conservatives getting in the way-the problem for them is that the average Homo Sapiens simply doesn’t care about much of anything, thus they have difficulty in figuring out how to corral them and manipulate them.

How do you get some guy sitting around in his shorts watching Maury Povich or Jerry Springer, perfectly content with a 6-pack by his side, a pack of smokes and a little weed to cheerfully report to his local Collective for community service while singing the Internationale? Also, you ain’t going to get him to show up at a TEA Party rally, either.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I think this is the same video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9GV0ZKaNc&list=UUupvZG-5ko_eiXAupbDfxWw&feature=plcp

If the Mediate vid doesn’t play…..

cynccook on May 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Jay Sherman 4 Life!

Good Lt on May 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Lovitz forgot to mention REDUCE SPENDING.

Morgan thinks there is only one way to help with our debt, increasing taxes.

Boy, is Morgan annoying. He won’t let a good point get spoken. He’s afraid of the facts and the truth.

so-notbuyingit on May 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Drew Lowell on May 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Because the so called A listers all live in a bubble/ echo chamber where they don’t feel the impact of economic policies. They still get millions of dollars a year for working for a few weeks at a time, and consider themselves different than the average worker because they are “artists” and thus believe they see the world at a different level. Actors many times seek acceptance internally and thus will follow along with any group trend just to be accepted.

The D-listers, on the other hand, need to keep an eye on their bank accounts because they don’t have the million dollar gig or the sweet ad campaign to fall back on, and thus start thinking differently when they actually suffer the economic hardships of the average citizen.

Of course, we can’t generalize in either case as there is a small silent minority in the former group and some in the second group that still believe that Democrats nowadays are the same that existed in your gradfather’s Democratic party.

ptcamn on May 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

He’s starting to remind me of that “tickle party” dude that left the house around the time of the healthcare vote

phillypolitics on May 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I wonder if Piers has ever thought through this fact:

if the 1% were taxed right now at 100% of all they had for FY 2012, the tax revenue realized would be a bit over half of the deficit for FY 2012.

That is, taking ALL the money that the 1% has- ALL of it- would only slow the increase of the national debt by 600-700 billion (fy 2012 debt is already over 1 trillion and growing), and do nothing whatsoever to decrease said debt.

FY 2013- well, there’d be no more 1% to tax, now would there?

But hey, pay yer fair and buffett rule and stuff!

Froward!

Let’s move!

Eat yer peas!

GrassMudHorsey on May 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

GrassMudHorsey on May 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Exactly. The fed could take every penny that Americans earn and it won’t cover the debt. The answer is cuts, real cuts, to the fed budget and that needs to involve the shuttering of entire fed agencies. EPA, Dept of Educ., TSA, Dept. of Energy, etc.

raz0r on May 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Let me know when they schedule the Lovitz – Franken debate.

marlin77 on May 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

That is, taking ALL the money that the 1% has- ALL of it- would only slow the increase of the national debt by 600-700 billion (fy 2012 debt is already over 1 trillion and growing) . . .

GrassMudHorsey on May 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Thank you! Shame on Lovitz for not having that math figured out already. For crying out loud, Morgan!!! Do you have any idea how much money a trillion dollars is? THERE JUST AREN’T THAT MANY RICH PEOPLE!!!

smellthecoffee on May 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

HEY!!! I said it first, back on the last thread!

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on May 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

So – we allows this Lying Water-Carryer for Obama, Piers Whatever to set up a FALSE and SPECIOUS dichotomy about the HOUSING LOAN Crises, i.e.:

“WHO is more RESPONSIBLE for the BAD LOANS being put on the BACKS of the American People:

The people who TOOK the loans who may NOT have known that they shouldn’t get them,

OR the Wise people WHO KNEW BETTER who GAVE them the Loans they NEVER should have?”

ANSWER</strong:

NEITHER! It was Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who LEGISLATED TO BANKS that you would either LOAN MONEY to people according to Race and Inability to Pay – or the U.S. would CUT YOUR LOAN INSURANCE!!

JERKS!!!

williamg on May 9, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Didn’t Obama sue CitibBank to force them to ease lending practices? In other words to give some of these bad loans?

atadOFF on May 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM

“Who’s more responsble?” asks the demoniac Piers Morgan. And he deserves to have his head beaten in with a T-ball bat.

This vile, vicious, imbecilic merchant of hell Morgan thinks that a man is not responsible for telling the truth or knowing when he’s being taken if he happens to be poor. He wants to excuse them for being morally inferior, just because they don’t run a business. He thus guarantees that that man and his progeny will be poor forever.

Everybody is responsible for doing the right thing. Nobody is off the hook.

Piers Morgan should go back to Britain and ply his hellish aristocracy there.

philwynk on May 10, 2012 at 7:30 AM

The gaping hole in Peirs Morgan’s mortgage argument is that those ‘supah smart’ people making the loans may have known that an individual was a risky person to give a loan to, but if they refused to give them a loan the they were opening themselves up to be sued for discrimination. The government forced the bankers to make those loans!

Also, I hate the argument that because someone isn’t very smart, and they did something kind of stupid, they should be let off the hook and shouldn’t have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

bitsy on May 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I feel for Lovitz. Getting mugged by reality is a painful process.

Keep moving toward the light, Lovitz! It’s worth it once you get there!

bitsy on May 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM

None of this is the slightest bit interesting to me.

I don’t rely on Hollywood celebrities or comedians for political guidance, financial advice, or any other serious subject. Does this make me weird?

landlines on May 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM