Rick Santorum on Leno: “We are going to have a Republican president”

posted at 10:42 am on May 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As promised, here’s the video of Rick Santorum appearing on The Tonight Show last night, backing up the e-mailed endorsement of Mitt Romney he sent out to supporters late on Monday night. The erstwhile presidential candidate looked perfectly chipper and relaxed:

“Well, I met with Governor Romney last Friday, and you know, we’d been trying to work on a meeting, and I think we just needed some time. You know, it was a rough-and-tumble campaign. I can’t say it would’ve been an easy thing the next day to turn around and say, let’s just go forward. It was tough. … And, I felt comfortable after that meeting, and over the weekend I worked on it, and we decided to put it out late at night so it would be sort of the first thing people would see in the morning, and, you know… I laid out sort of the case, and just said, you know, here’s sort of what we went through, here’s the discussion, here’s why I decided… but this was a letter to my supporters, who were for me, to say, well here’s now why I think we should rally around Mitt Romney and support him.”

Santorum got a good bit of flak for the interpretably half-hearted missive; MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, for example, called it a “bush league” endorsement, saying: “If you don’t want to endorse him, don’t endorse him. That’s fine. People will respect him for not endorsing him. Again, this is like Obama on gay marriage. Don’t try to have it both ways. Don’t endorse in the 13th paragraph. Be a man.” Harsh words, but this appearance gave Santorum a chance to address both the manner of his endorsement and his past criticisms (which we’ll likely see chop-shopped in Democrats’ ads) in a more easygoing setting, which I think he did successfully. In a nutshell: don’t read too much into my ‘thirteenth-paragraph’ endorsement, I was just laying out my case; campaigns are tough and emotional and I needed some time; I had a chance to talk out my reservations with Romney in our meeting, and I’m firmly on board.

So, that’s Romney’s most serious former rival declaring himself ready to let the campaign’s bygones be bygones and join Team NObama. Everybody in? Good. Let’s do this.

Comments

The sweater vest ? Really ? In Burbank ? oof.

FlaMurph on May 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Your lips to God’s ears.

Mr. Joe on May 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

There’s something kind of endearing that he refuses to give up the sweater vest.

inthemiddle on May 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Everybody in? Good. Let’s do this.

That’s what she said…

the_nile on May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Good for him. Perry’s response on Greta last night was good too.

They are uniting which is what we need. We are in the fight of our lives.

gophergirl on May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

He sounds like Hillary…you know, you know, you know, sort of, you know. Ugh, that stuff drives me nuts.

angryed on May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

No, because we need to send a message to the GOP by voting for Obama!! Yeargh!! /ABR

changer1701 on May 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

angryed on May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

But your musing are always endearing.

hawkdriver on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Who?

faraway on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

But your musing are always endearing.

hawkdriver on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

oh yes, the screeching banshee wails!

upinak on May 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Good for him! And, screw Scarborough, who took the easy way out, in order to sit on the fenceline and chatter like a well paid magpie.

a capella on May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM

May he be Mitt’s 1st SC justice nominee.

hillsoftx on May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Will take your word for it.

I promised myself I’d never watch Leno again after he decided to be an Indian-giver to Conan.

Red Cloud on May 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

By show of hands, who here believes the, “we decided to put it out late at night so it would be sort of the first thing people would see in the morning,” crap?

Having said that, this was a good first step. But actions speak louder than words. Let’s see what he does to help the cause.

rogaineguy on May 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Well, now that that whole endorsement thingy is settled… ABO…

Khun Joe on May 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Leno’s still on TV?

search4truth on May 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM

No, because we need to send a message to the GOP by voting for Obama!! Yeargh!!

Maddie, is that you hon?

CorporatePiggy on May 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM

As for the sweater vest, it is NOT something from the campaign, It’s how he dressed BEFORE the campaign. Say what you want about the guy, but he did NOT change who he was to run for office, unlike many of the others.

michaelo on May 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

This ‘ole shindig should be craptastic! Can’t wait.

HerneTheHunter on May 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Not being a fan of Saint Rick or the Rick-Approved® sexual activities, I must say that, to his credit, he sounded rather “tepid” at best.
Consider: What should a Roman Catholic think of a job-killing, pro-abortion, same-sex marriage-loving, leftist-leaning, social-welfare-loving member of a cult that pretends to be representatives of the original Christian Church?
‘Tis indeed a conundrum for those Roman Catholics with a conscience.
(psssssssssst … not this one)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

angryed on May 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

….oh?…you know…you know…you know…you know…you know…sort of….you know….you know….you know….sort of….you know…u know….you know….you know…you know….you know…you know….etc…(:>)

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM

‘Tis indeed a conundrum for those Roman Catholics with a conscience.
(psssssssssst … not this one)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Harry Reid?

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I have never seen Leno interrupt someone more! So frustrating!

parteagirl on May 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Leno has obamashit for brains.

Pork-Chop on May 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Karl Magnus on May 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Once a bigot, always a bigot.

Longing4Lincoln on May 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

…job-killing, pro-abortion, same-sex marriage-loving, leftist-leaning, social-welfare-loving…

Karl Magnus on May 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Proof please? Oh that’s right, you don’t have any. You’re just interested in slandering the man. Quite… Christian of you, I’d say.

Longing4Lincoln on May 9, 2012 at 1:55 PM

He actually admitted Mitt is a Republican? Wow!

As for Karl Magnus’ tolerant remarks, go read the 6th Amendment. Romney has never criticized anybody’s religion, or suggested they don’t have a right to pursue public office.

flataffect on May 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM