Important question from Obama “Truth Team”: Which of our misleading attacks against Mitt Romney do you like best?

posted at 5:01 pm on May 9, 2012 by Morgen Richmond

I received an e-mail yesterday from Stephanie Cutter of the Obama 2012 campaign, looking for some input regarding their “Truth Team”. Here’s what it said:

As part of the Truth Team, you’re on the front lines of this campaign — protecting President Obama’s record and keeping the GOP honest.

Will you take a minute to make the Truth Team even stronger?

Take this short survey and share your thoughts on what works best.

It’s clear that Mitt Romney is going to say and spend anything to tear down the President. He is remarkably indifferent to the truth.

We can expect the attacks on President Obama and this movement to get much worse — and much more frequent. That means our role is becoming ever more important.

Share your feedback and help shape the future of the Truth Team:

Thanks for everything you do for this campaign.

- Stephanie

If the link in Stephanie’s email still works you can see the survey for yourself. It asks for some personal information typical for something like this: name, age, gender, etc. But then perhaps to accentuate just how much of a unifier their boss is, the survey asks respondents to self-identify whether they belong to one or more demographic groups targeted by the campaign. These consist of a diverse, but limited number of categories based on age, race, religion, gender, sexual preference, and occupational focus. Apparently the Obama campaign is not much interested in respondents who are middle-aged, white, straight, male, non-Jewish, haven’t served in the military, or who don’t particularly care about environmental issues.

But the question which really caught my attention was this one:

Mitt Romney has indicated that he would do the following five things as president. Which are you opposed to the most:

These are the choices they offer:

Now I started this post intending to flay these truth-tellers for propagating misleading claims about the presumed GOP nominee. But like with most such propaganda, there is at least a grain of truth in some of this. Take ObamaCare: of course Romney wants to repeal it! And it just so happen that the majority of Americans are behind him in this. It’s also pretty much true to say that Romney supports ending Medicare as we currently know it. And this is also a good thing since on it’s current path it won’t be long before it consumes the entire federal budget.

The other claims are misleading at best. Has Romney ever suggested he would leave troops in Afghanistan indefinitely? I know President Obama just signed a deal which will ensure our troops remain in Afghanistan until 2024, and he hasn’t committed to a complete withdrawal at that point either. What Romney has consistently said is that he would base this decision on advice from his generals, and that he would be opposed to setting an arbitrary withdrawal date based on political concerns.

Romney has also never talked about cutting taxes for millionaires and billionaires. He generally supports Paul Ryan’s budget framework which would lower marginal tax rates for everyone (including the wealthy), but which would also eliminate a lot of existing tax credits and deductions in order to simplify the tax code and achieve something close to revenue neutrality. That said, Romney is going to be subject to this sort of attack until he provides more clarity on the types of credits and deductions he supports eliminating, and how they will apply across various income levels.

On Planned Parenthood, Romney has no intention of eliminating them, nor would he even have the power to do so. What he has expressed support for is eliminating the funding they receive from the federal government. And why not: even ObamaCare banned federal funding for abortion. Speaking of abortion, the claim that Romney is seeking a “ban” of the practice is patently false. Romney’s position on this issue has evolved, yes, but at most it can be said that he would like to see Roe v. Wade overturned and this decision left up to the individual states.

For a group focused on telling the truth, they’ve taken an awful lot of liberty in ignoring any facts which serve to undermine their case. But this isn’t exactly a surprise. I doubt even the President’s most ardent supporters regard this “Truth Team” as anything more or less than the propaganda factory it is.

So I’ll save the outrage and ask a related question instead. Rather than lamenting this sort of nonsense, which is only beginning, should our side be more focused on framing similar attacks against President Obama? More defensible, nothing dishonest, but perhaps a little edgier than usual for the GOP? Personally I’m partial to attacks focused on the President’s reckless spending, and his irresponsibility in burdening future generations with trillions of dollars of debt. Nothing untrue (or all that edgy) with these. Any better ideas?

Comments

I just voted for “Repeal Obamacare.”

aunursa on May 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM

So far they’ve worked like they were being planned and executed by Wile E. Coyote (Obama’s SUPER GENIUS campaign team) trying to trap the Road Runner (Mitt Romney). Every attack ends with the Obama Campaign falling off the cliff…

So I’d say “ALL OF THE ABOVE”.

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

talking to themselves.

rob verdi on May 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

This won’t work for Obama… There is no “I” in team.

2Tru2Tru on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

The truth? The TRUTH? You can’t handle the truth!

Lily on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I like it.

I keep waiting for the bad news today. Even Allah chimed in early with good news. What’s up with that? Is there something really bad waiting in the wings?

angryred has been reduced to incoherent rambling, dems reeling all over. Great news.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I went to the link,I rather like the part about FORMER gov strickland attacking Romney.

rob verdi on May 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Ah, the Truth Team. I think I’ve seen this somewhere on the internet before…

Coastal Elitist on May 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

ATTACK WATCHTruth Team!

MadisonConservative on May 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

This won’t work for Obama… There is no “I” in team.

2Tru2Tru on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

There is an “M” and an “E” though.

Doughboy on May 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

TRUTH SQUADS!!!

PAPERS PLEASE!!!!

portlandon on May 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM

It worked for Himmler back in the day.

FlaMurph on May 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM

ATTACK WATCHTruth Team!

MadisonConservative on May 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Report your family’s crimes!

We will always be at war with Eastasia.

Or in Hussein’s case is that Eastafrica?

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Therein lays the rub. To a libtard, cutting government funding for something is the same thing as dousing it with gasoline and lighting a match.

Kataklysmic on May 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Let me translate that for you: That means not taxing the snot out of them.

Chip on May 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM

…honest to God!…The Truth Team?

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I like it.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Dont’ worry, AP will come up with SOMETHING he can tag with that aggravating, annoying, I WANT TO PUNCH A HOLE IN MY MONITOR smirky Obama picture… He’s done it every day for weeks now.

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Any better ideas?

Mooch’s lavish vacays on taxpayer dime ?

burrata on May 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

…honest to God!…The Truth Team?

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Yeah, crewed by people who wouldn’t know the truth if it bit them in the balls.

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Ah, the Ministry of Truth. How Orwellian.

The Chewbacca Defense on May 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“Tonight, I can report . . . And so, shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta . . . I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . . I’ve made clear . . . Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear . . . Tonight, I called President Zardari . . . and my team has also spoken . . .These efforts weigh on me every time I, as commander-in-chief . . . Finally, let me say to the families . . . I know that it has, at times, frayed . . .”

Count the Is

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

So I’d say “ALL OF THE ABOVE”.

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM

yep, or maybe Daffy Duck taking Elmer Fud’s shotgun and with every aim at Bugs he blows his beak off somehow. Those Looney Tunes sketches have so much relevance again.

James Carville as Foghorn Leghorn
Obama as Melvin the Martian

DanMan on May 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I love it when a plan comes together!

Wait, wrong team.

8thAirForce on May 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Personally I think the “None of the above – I support all these things” bubble to be the most disturbing. Has shades of Mao.

Pattosensei on May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Obama as Melvin the Martian

DanMan on May 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’ve always sort of pictured him as Wile E. Coyote Super Genius.

Everything he touches blows up in his face. And yet, he goes back to the same company everytime.

I bet Romney owns stock in A.C.M.E.

Lily on May 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

..prediction: by September, FulminatingEd will become a screen-scraping, mirror-fogging, mouth-breathing mindless drooler.

The War Planner on May 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Count the Is

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM

..VDH is the bees’ elbows, ain’t he?

The War Planner on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

..prediction: by September…
The War Planner on May 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

That long?

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Why not just convert the berzillion lies he’s told and gaffs he’s made into ads? Just go through the Obamateurisms and do 100 ads on youtube and then the most viewed/the ones that test best with the middle why not pay to get them on TV?

WashingtonsWake on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

How many Julia’s answered the survey.

RickB on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

WashingtonsWake on May 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM

First, HA would need to get a Soros like sugar daddy.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Focus on economic issues, but spice it up with the dumb sh!t he’s done with foreign policy, gaffes, etc. Start by mining the OOTD’s, lot of material there. Oh, and for dessert, a big slice of the craziness from his EPA that is dragging the economy down.

iurockhead on May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

…these people are NUTS!…how does that lying POS get more than single digits for an approval rating…even with stupid people?

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Obama Truth Team

I’ll take what is an oxymoron

Reality Checker on May 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

They are just warming up for their ObamaCare “Life Teams”

Check your choice of DEATH:

O Painless
O Medicinal
O Mechanical
O In your Sleep

portlandon on May 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Ministry of Truth. Pravda.

To quote that lamentable shill / hack Leslie Stahl, ” That’s Orwellian”

rayra on May 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I notice when they ask for your demographic they list pretty much everything but white male. Guess they’re the outsiders.

WeekendAtBernankes on May 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The truff team wants to know if any of their stuff is sticking to the wall. Frankly, no.

Kissmygrits on May 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Joey Goebbels is smiling, smiling big.

jukin3 on May 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM

What’s with the lame little “T” is a shield logo? I also note that the typeface of Truth Squad sorry, Truth Team looks like the universal college font. Can you say Rah Rah!/

This must be their subliminal way to appeal to “millenial” losers who have never actually been on a real sports team and are longing to feel part of something…

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Is there a place that I can claim I’m an Indian on there?

Dingbat63 on May 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM

2Tru2Tru on May 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

There is no I in team.
There is a T … and an E, and an A. And even in M.

But there is no I in team. There is no I in hockey – PERIOD.

There is an I in period. And there are periods in hockey. And there are teams in periods.

But there is no I in team.

Period.

The I … is in the beholder.

apollyonbob on May 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Or, we could just say the whole thing’s hokey.

After Police Squad! how does anyone expect to get away with portentous drivel like Ataaaack Waaaatch! and Truth Team! (which wouldn’t even be possible without the invention of the exclamation point!)! !! !!! ! !!!

de rigueur on May 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Obama “Truth Team”

If someone has to tell you that they are concerned with “the truth”, it’s time to put your hand on your wallet and move away.

GarandFan on May 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

de rigueur on May 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Dude, really? Police squad was actually decent in its portentous drivel. Attack Watch! and Truth Team! not so much at all.

I cannot believe you put those in the same sentence.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I’m experiencing a substantial case of deja-vu. This post/question (with McCain instead of Romney) appeared a few years ago, no? Yes? Obama “Truth Team” is an alarm for me, regardless of opponent name/s.

Lourdes on May 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The ugly reality is that if left to stand (should Obama be, horribly, reelected), Obamacare will increase in 2014 the monthly cost of Medicare to OVER TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH for seniors/participants.

Compare that with the current monthly cost of just under a hundred dollars to participants for Medicare.

Upping it next year to another raise, then in 2014 up to over two hundred a month is what most seniors don’t realize at this time but the GOP should really be making this fact known now.

Of course, if Romney wins this year and the GOP majority get Obamacare packed up and thrown out along with Obama, then, that won’t happen. Changes in Medicare will occur in the future but I strongly doubt that the GOP will allow such huge exploits of Medicare and seniors happen as is planned at the present time by Obama with Obamacare.

Lourdes on May 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

“Obama Truth Team” suggests anything but truth:

“Hi, I’m from Obama, I’m here to help. Where’s your wall safe?”

Lourdes on May 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Let me see, Truth … where have I heard that before…? Ah yes, in Orwell’s 1984. The Ministry of Truth, whose role was to make yesterday’s reality a non-entity.

First Obama creates an imaginary person (Julia – also a 1984 character)to sell his ‘successes’, and now the birthing of a “Truth” Team? This man is really good at fiction. Let’s retire him so he can fulfill his true calling.

DeoGratias on May 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Like asking Satan to tell the truth. You get what you get and don’t be surprised.

I so hope more than a handful of swing states don’t buy into his crap for a nano-second.

sdbatboy on May 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I cannot believe you put those in the same sentence.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I’d put it this way: Police Squad! was actually decentdeliberate in its portentous drivel, the portentousness of Attack Watch! and Truth Team! not so much at allentirely inadvertent. But both titles lend themselves perfectly to the same Hank Simms voice-over Quinn Martin production-style parody treatment that he bestowed on the opening Police Squad! titles.

But I’d agree that neither of Attack Watch! or Truth Team! deserve Hank. Or serious comparison to a funny tv show. These guys aren’t funny. But they are portentous. And the Obama campaign is proving to be utter drivel.

de rigueur on May 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

de rigueur on May 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Well okay, if you are using it for contrast instead of comparison.

cozmo on May 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Morgan:

The whole point of websites like this one is collecting info for the Obama data base and mailing lists. The question that caught your attention is just the side show.

Same deal with those “questionnaires” you get from Republicans in the mail — which always give you an opportunity to sign off with a contribution to the cause, of course.

JM Hanes on May 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Which of the following do you hate the most?

Ann Romney forced to bake cookies chained to the oven

Seamus the Dog vomiting on the car roof

Romney quoting the writings of Joseph Smith

Bain Capital laying off union workers

Romney helping Eurasia make war with Eastasia

Romney helping Eastasia make war with Eurasia

Romney pushing Julia over a cliff

Romney privatizing Social Security

Romney privatizing General Motors

Romney putting coal in your Christmas stocking

Let us Troofers all join hands for Two Minute Romney Hate.
Long live Big Brother!