Breaking: Noted gay-marriage supporter finally drops cynical charade

posted at 3:38 pm on May 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, 16 years after going on the record in support of gay marriage, The One finally decides it’s safe to reclaim his old position. (AmSpec’s James Antle tweets, “Obama may be the only person in America who supported gay marriage in 1996 but opposed it in 2011.”) His base will swoon over this, needless to say — expect the mother of all leg tingles on “Hardball” tonight — but even as someone who agrees with him, I can’t get past the pure opportunism of it. In fact, fellow gay-marriage supporter Andy Levy flags this NYT tweet in naked disgust:

Some Obama advisers were divided on decision to support same-sex marriage, but concluded his brand has been damaged enough by hedging.

That’s what it was all about: The brand, plus the political awkwardness created by Biden’s candor on “Meet the Press” this past Sunday. I used to ask whether anyone seriously believes O opposes gay marriage. Now I have to start asking whether anyone seriously believes O would have stopped feigning opposition if it was still a clear political winner for him to keep it up. His “courage” here, as in all things, is about his own reelection chances. If there’s anything for gay rights supporters to celebrate today, it’s the fact that popular opinion has shifted enough that even an opportunist as transparent as The One thinks it’s safe enough to take this position before a national election.

Note the fine print, though:

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

I don’t believe that for a moment either but that’s going to be his new compromise. Instead of “I support gay rights but oppose gay marriage” it’s now “I support gay marriage but oppose federal intervention.” Even so, if/when the Supreme Court finds a right to same-sex marriage in the Equal Protection Clause, rest assured that the statement from the White House that day will be nothing but celebratory. This position too is a charade.

As for the politics, Karl notes in the Greenroom that Team Hopenchange may now be shifting from a campaign aimed at winning back disaffected working-class swing voters to a campaign aimed mainly at maximizing turnout among their base:

What yesterday’s elections may have told Team Obama is that the bitter clingers out there are bitter enough to give 41% of the Democrat vote in West Virginia to a convicted felon and to ease a ban on same-sex marriage into the North Carolina constitution. They may have concluded that their energies are better spent targeting more socially liberal white college graduates in the suburbs of northern Virginia, Philadeplphia, Denver, etc. than wasting time on trying to persuade Rust Belt Jacksonians to pull the lever for Barack Obama again while (as Allahpundit suggests) considering discontent among socially conservative African-Americans an acceptable risk now. The establishment’s mockery of Obama’s unevolved position may have suggested to Team Obama that painting Mitt Romney as a right-wing extremist is made more difficult when the president shares Romney’s position on SSM.

For an extended list of pros versus cons, read Chris Cillizza. Romney reiterated today that there’ll be no “evolving” on his end so the contrast is there if Obama wants to draw it. Which, I think, he almost surely doesn’t: There’s too much uncertainty on both sides about how swing voters will react if it becomes a major issue in the campaign. Will they follow North Carolina’s and other states’ lead by voting against gay marriage and its proponent-in-chief? Or will they tune Romney out because he’s not talking about jobs and his economic program? Outside of LGBT fundraisers, I doubt you’ll hear O talk at length again about this issue before November. Exit quotation from GOProud’s Chris Barron: “It is time the left came to terms with the fact that this president will only be for same-sex marriage when he believes it is a political winner for him.”

Update: Some buzz on Twitter for this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment in O’s remarks: “when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf…” His behalf?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Gutsy

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Really?

I’m so shocked.

Bob's Kid on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Decisive.

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Exit quotation from GOProud’s Chris Barron: ““It is time the left came to terms with the fact that this president will only be for same-sex marriage when he believes it is a political winner for him.”

It’s not a political winner for him and I seriously doubt he thinks that either.

It’s more along the lines of “He desperately needs money and the people most able to give it to him demanded he support them on this issue.

teke184 on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I won’t believe it until he enters into one himself.

NoDonkey on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Buh-bye, Obama.

Ward Cleaver on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I’m confused. Is the president raping, getting raped, or watching the rape?

rogerb on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Boxed in by Biden. He can’t be happy about that.

novaculus on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

It’s all about the “O”

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Obama loves “evolving on his end”

search4truth on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

…Surprise!…Surprise!…Surprise!
(in Gomer Pyle voice!)

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

The “War on Marriage”…!

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

No Barry, when we said we want a job, that’s not the kind of job we meant.

petefrt on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

All that’s going to change is that now Mitt Romney will have to insert “until very recently” before he next asserts that “the President and myself have the same stance on this issue.”

I can’t wait for Team Obama’s next attempt to try to paint Romney as a flipflopper.

KingGold on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Leading from the front as always! In an unprecedented way!

He truly is an inspirational leader!

/Chrissie

CorporatePiggy on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Distraction! His evolution or epiphany, whichever he decides it is, will not gain him a single vote!! Gay people need jobs too Obama! They buy gas!! They need mortgages!!! They can’t afford groceries!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Now he’s lying about not wanting to federalize it.

rubberneck on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

One-bama is going to make this a very interesting election. One-bama’s war on the family has begun.

NickDeringer on May 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Shep Smith already comparing it to segregation.

EnochCain on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Can’t wait to see Barry in the Million Gay March parade.

portlandon on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

If this doesn’t work he’s going to start each fundraiser with a performance of Y-M-C-A.

CorporatePiggy on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Bite Me!

D-fusit on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

those states would be acting “on his behalf”….ie, shoring up his previous position.

ted c on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

The brand in this case being the “stuttering, halfwitted, know nothing, no talent, halitosis ridden, chain smoking, worthless closeted d-bag” brand.

GrassMudHorsey on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

When the LSM and other pundits look back after hearing someone (anyone) at CNN inform them incredulously that “Obama is OUT?! OBAMA IS OUT?!!!” in November they will point to this day and say “this is where you can draw the line and declare that the Obama Campaign utterly screwed this up.”

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Why does everything smell like ‘prison sex’ today…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

…hardest hit!…Moochelle!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

…citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

“And, that’s why gay issues are being taught in elementary school.” ~ Arne Duncan

The above Arne Duncan quote is fake, as far as I know.

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I think the numbers just weren’t adding up and he had to do this.

Now he will be running against racists and homophobes because there just aren’t enough racists to blame for his loss in November.

His excuses are safely in the bag.

Lily on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

“Fighting on my behalf”

What about the corpsemen? He left out the corpsemen!

JohnW on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ah yes tingles will be on fire tonight

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Extra! Extra! Obama tells the truth! Hell freezes over!

The Rogue Tomato on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

It’s obviously opportunistic but I’m glad he did it none the less. Finally caught up to Dick Cheney on gay marriage, grats.

Dash on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Why does everything smell like ‘prison sex’ today…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

…no lotion?

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Of course Tingles will tingle. But he would tingle with a “No” vote or another “Present!”. Oh he looks so reflective and torn, yet determined. (tingle tingle)

Marcus on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The Big Stick makes the gutsy call.

MNHawk on May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

As for the politics, Karl notes in the Greenroom that Team Hopenchange may now be shifting from a campaign aimed at winning back disaffected working-class swing voters to a campaign aimed mainly as maximizing turnout among their base

Pretty much. This is about two things. Attempting to distract the electorate from important issues like the economy and energizing key Democrat voting blocs.

Doughboy on May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

What I really want to know, does Obama support the Senate passing a budget?

Fallon on May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

How many gaps can one man stradle with only two legs?

Scotsman on May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Exact same position as Dick Cheney — who was crucified by the Left for it; yet Obama is being praised for it. SMH. Something seems odd about that for me. What could it be?

Dark Star on May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Obama Endorses Gay Marriage
…like Americans need yet another excellent reason to vote OBOZO out of office !!!!!
FYI: 29 states have voted to define “marriage” as a union between a man and a woman, period !
2004 OBOZO interview with WTTW Chicago public television:
OBAMA: “Well, what I believe is that marriage is between a man and a woman…”
OBAMA: “Well, what I believe, in my faith, is that a man and a woman, when they get married, are performing something before God…”
OBAMA: “… I think there are a whole host of things that are civil rights, and then there are other things–such as traditional marriage–that, I think, express a community”s concern and regard for a particular institution….I don’t think marriage is a civil right…”

TeaPartyNation on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Leaving plenty of room there for “..and while I’m personally in favor of it, the country isn’t ready for it” in three months when he starts to tank and he’s spent all the money from the GLBT community.

Matticus Finch on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

His behalf?

Definite OOTD for tomorrow

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I would say this is a cynical political move from Obama. But that would be redundant.

(No doubt hedging was hurting him. But I doubt he can win any ground on this issue.)

WannabeAnglican on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Seriously. Seriously? I’m going to talk past the topic of gay marriage and address this guy’s self-obsession. He doesn’t even have the restraint to feign humility. I mean, even if he believes all the hype about himself, can’t he even stop himself from saying stuff like our soldiers are fighting on his behalf?

Obama, here is a clue. It is not “your administration”. You are part of our administration. You work for us.

nitzsche on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Wow! Obama has ‘evolved’ to almost the same position he held in 1996.

“I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages,” while running in 1996 for Illinois state Senate, in a written response to a questionnaire from Chicago’s Outlines gay newspaper.

Dawnsblood on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

He’s talking about homosexual sex with his grade-school daughters?

Sick.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

God, please punish his arrogance.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I’m shock, shocked I tells ya. Why you can knock me over — with a 16 ton weight.

rbj on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

teke184 on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You got it.

This was never about principle, this was about money. If support for gay marriage weren’t a losing issue in this country, at least one of the thirty-odd referendums on the issue would have ended in the supporters’ favor.

That PPP guy suggesting a kind of Bradley effect for SSM polling is right on. When gay marriage supporters are out there calling people backward bigots, it’s far easier to lie to the pollster.

KingGold on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Elizabeth Warren says “He speak with Forked Tongue”

koaiko on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

He should have just voted “present” and moved on. Timing is clearly above his pay grade.

Scotsman on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ah yes tingles will be on fire tonight

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Oh, he got off to a roaring start on Bashir. I translated it into that we were all bigots. He started condemning karl rove, and I could stand no more.

rubberneck on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

DOJ gearing up to sue those states that have “banned” gay marriage…

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

This will win Obama the votes he desperately needs from Latinos.
/s

El_Terrible on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Wow! Obama has ‘evolved’ to almost the same position he held in 1996.

Dawnsblood on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Most of the Obama Regime has consisted of running aimlessly in circles.

wildcat72 on May 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

You have to wonder how this will be received in the AA community – don’t blacks generally not support gay marriage? He must figure they’ll support him based on race and this will appeal to the young and the gay voters.

katiejane on May 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Larry Sinclair gets his hopes up. “Maybe that big stick will be mine, after all…”

The Rogue Tomato on May 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

President admits what we all knew for years; Americans still out of work in record numbers. #realitybites

blatantblue on May 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

DOJ gearing up to sue those states that have “banned” gay marriage…

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I’d laugh, but you could be right.

The Rogue Tomato on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

“when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf”

Is Obama saying he’s gay?

Scotsman on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

How will this translate to jobs..?

d1carter on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

If you can stomach it, go check out what the DUmmies are saying, sick central.

D-fusit on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Gutless move! Panderer! Will only help him in places he was going to win by large margins anyway – will hurt him everywhere else. All the polls on gay marriage are cooked – large majority oppose. Civil unions are gay marriage as soon as passed. Don’t fall for it. I am ashamed of my state passing gay marriage, they won’t be first to further expand it the marriage definition… but a slope is developing and will be slippery soon.

StuckinliberalNY on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

That’s more telling than his support of gay marriage. He really does think he’s a king.

JPeterman on May 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I didn’t miss it, I heard it on the radio driving home and went nuts. Can you imagine if Bush had said it.

tbrickert on May 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Obama:

I’m all about the gheys. Now, Lean Forward

JDF123 on May 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Also pointed out by GOProud was that Obama finally came to agreement with Dick Cheney on something. And Laura Bush. And Condoleezza Rice. And Cindy McCain. And Ken Mehlman.

vegconservative on May 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I never thought I would hate someone I’ve never met until now.

I hate him and everything he stands for.

gophergirl on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

What does this say about bho? Is it he needs all the money from the gay groups, OR…..him?
L

letget on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

He never keeps anything up – he’s an eunuch.

Schadenfreude on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Attention, future President Romney, do not shift focus off of the economy and all that goes with this poor one–loss of jobs, rising cost of living, outrageous gas prices.

I really don’t care what either one of them believe about the homosexual lifestyle. Keep this country from falling.

jazzuscounty on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Scary that this garbage will get more traffic than the collapse of Europe…

ClassicCon on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Obama needs the $$$ for his campaign

16% of his money comes from his gay bundlers.

Hollywood loves their gays and Obama needs Hollywood money to come flowing to his warchest.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

It’s politically awkward. I’m surprised he took a stand at all… campaign money?

lexhamfox on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Some buzz on Twitter for this blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment in O’s remarks: “when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf…” His behalf?”

Last I checked, the President was commander-in-chief.

stuckinwisconsin on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

gophergirl on May 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

DITTO a thousand times DITTO!
L

letget on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

He’s talking about homosexual sex with his grade-school daughters?

Sick.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

No surprise there if it’s true. He took his daughters to TUCC where the raving, racist, lunatic Jerry Wright presided.

Cody1991 on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I wonder it works in Obama’s little brain. Is it God, King and country? Or is it King, country and God?

NotCoach on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I guess this really means that Hillary will replace Biden. Au naturale.

txmomof6 on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I won’t believe it until he enters into one himself.

NoDonkey on May 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’ve always thought MooChelle was a guy in drag anyway.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Ya think? I’ve always said this gender warfare, race warfare, class warfare cr*p Obama has been pulling has been about dividing, dividing, dividing while hoping enough fragments splinter off in his favor by maximizing his turnout while simultaneously suppressing the GOP’s because it is the only way he can win.

That’s why the “Romney is a weak candidate” and “Romney is the same as Obama” memes needs to be pushed back on, regardless of how strong our personal convictions may be on that. Hakas work — Obama haka’d his way to the WH in 2008 for the love of all that is good & holy. We need to Haka his butt right out & then worry about holding Romney’s feet to the fire.

Dark Star on May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

So states rights on gay marriage, but not on firearms, illegal immigration enforcement or health care.

Got it.

Washington Nearsider on May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Obama loves “evolving on his end”

search4truth on May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

ROFL

bettycooper on May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Good grief. The cable networks are tripping all over themselves reporting Obama’s gay marriage “evolution.” You’d think the guy just cured cancer, paid off the debt, and gave a job to every American that wants one.

Sycophants. All of them

Common Sense Floridian on May 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

His including his belief that states should have the power to decide SHOULD give GOP opportunities to throw all of those ‘rights’ that the DOJ are SUING over right back into their/his face.
LOUDLY !
FROM THE ROOFTOPS !
AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY !!

pambi on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Obama’s re-election strategy:

War on women
Attack Mitt for dog abuse
Julia
Attack Romney for etch-a-sketching in the general

Chuck Schick on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Wasn’t the point of the announcement to, in effect, draw that contrast?

changer1701 on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

“If there’s anything for gay rights supporters to celebrate today, it’s the fact that popular opinion has shifted enough…”

Yes. So much so that in every single instance that it has come to a popular vote, the people have overwelmingly voted against legal recognition of gay marriage.

Lily on May 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I think you are on to something here. Problem is, the left normally just lumps them all together. How could one be a phobe (of any kind) and not also be a racist? They probably love guns too. Can’t even keep track of the ists, ites, isms and phobes these days.

Hueydriver on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

The charade is over. But will his new position hurt him with Hispanics and African-Americans who have a high percentage who oppose gay marriage? I doubt it. As for the swing voters only the final poll taken in November might let us know.

Frankly, I think a lot of people are just tired of the issue and would like to discuss the fact that we have a $15 Trillion debt and out-of-control spending federal spending. Along with an economy that sucks …….. and all Obama wants to engage in is class warfare and redistribution. He has lost his major financial supporters on Wall Street and industry. He has demonized them like no other president before him.

SC.Charlie on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Frankly, I always thought he was in a SSM.

Cody1991 on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Oh well…we were always at war with Eastasia anyway.

connertown on May 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Last I checked, the President was commander-in-chief.

stuckinwisconsin on May 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

The key word here is “President”. We are not a monarchy or dictatorship, but a constitutional republic. Our troops do not die for their emperor. They put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms.

NotCoach on May 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up rubberneck

Cripe

cmsinaz on May 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This is about trying to fill his war chest. No one has more disposable income than teh gheys and many have pulled out their checkbooks in the last hour, I’m sure. Blacks will still vote for him, but this will hurt him with Hispanics. I guess he figures it’s all moot if he has no money to spend. This way he’ll have the cash to compete and six months to continue changing the subject.

Kataklysmic on May 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This is desperation, now the Dem Convention is in a State that bans gay marriage and is right to work hahahah good one fearless leader, we couldn’t make this stuff up if we tried.

I pretty much hear the air coming out of your balloon.

Bye Bye Obama