2004 video: Obama on why he opposes gay marriage; Update: Obama already sending out fundraising e-mails about gay marriage flip flop

posted at 9:02 pm on May 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart.com and BuzzFeed, which had this almost a month ago. Note the emphasis here on faith as the bedrock of his opposition. Nothing unusual about a believer changing his or her mind about gay marriage; according to last week’s Pew poll, it’s happened quite a lot since 2004. But in order to put O in that category, you have to believe that he really did change his mind. Do you? Does anyone? Even a lefty outlet like Slate is scoffing at the idea. If in fact Obama has always been a true blue fan of legalizing gay marriage then what you’re watching here is him lying, straight up, not only about his position on SSM but about the importance of his religious beliefs. I’m surprised more religious Democrats haven’t gone after him for that today. Instead you get tepid statements like this:

The evangelical pastor who President Barack Obama calls his spiritual adviser says he’s disappointed in the president’s decision to endorse same-sex marriage…

Hunter says he told the president he disagreed with his interpretation of what the Bible says about marriage. Hunter says the president reassured him he would protect the religious freedom of churches who oppose gay marriage.

Hunter says the announcement makes it harder for him to support Obama, but he will continue to do so.

That’s precisely the reaction they’re counting on from the left’s few socially conservative constituencies, including/especially black voters who helped push through North Carolina’s amendment last night. More from the AP about Maryland’s looming referendum on SSM:

Bishop Harry Jackson, pastor of Hope Christian Church in Beltsville and a staunch gay marriage opponent, said he would not urge his congregation to vote against Obama.

“I think some people will leave Mr. Obama altogether, but our view will be, this is about marriage. I’m not going to try to make President Obama the issue,” Jackson said.

The White House gambled that if O finally ‘fessed up, enthusiasm among his base would skyrocket, opposition from Democratic critics would be half-hearted, and swing voters probably won’t care that much within the broader context of an election about jobs and the economy. The big question marks are seniors, with whom Dems already have problems, and the offsetting spike in enthusiasm for Romney that this’ll cause among Republican social conservatives who oppose O’s “evolution” on this issue. I think Team Hopenchange pegged their side’s reaction just right. We’ll see about those other groups.

Now, here’s a homework assignment for White House reporters. At 2:08 here, the moderator asks a good question: Does O think marriage is a civil right and, if so, isn’t he endorsing “separate but equal” by backing civil unions but not gay marriage? Obama’s response is that it’s not a civil right but rather one of those things that “express a community’s concern in regard for a particular institution.” I don’t know what that means or how he’s drawing that distinction. The same could theoretically be said about segregating public-school classrooms. That’s a practice that “expresses a community’s concern in regard for a particular institution” — and yet also a quintessential matter of civil rights. Sure would be nice if the next WH correspondent who gets a shot at questioning him will ask whether he still feels this way about marriage as a right and what on earth his answer here is supposed to mean.

Update: Annnnnnnnd here we go. Fresh in the inbox:

Friend –

Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you’ll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

I’ve always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I’ve talked to friends and family about this. I’ve thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, I’ve gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I’ve come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn’t dawn on them that their friends’ parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

If you agree, you can stand up with me here.

Barack

Comments

Evolving in circles.

de rigueur on May 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

EVOLVER!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

So glad we have a preezzy who gets political advice from tweens.

HumpBot Salvation on May 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

out: states’ rights for immigration, voter ID, guns, and health care

in: states’ rights for gay marriage!

(can we call him a modern-day George Wallace yet? or is that only okay when the left does it?)

pamplonajack on May 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Dinosaurs farted themselves to death!

Not sure how this is relevant…

Just that Obama talks out many orifices…

Forewarned.

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

side note: facebook is imploding today with self-righteous posts about teh gheys. 99% of the posts are loudly screaming hooray for obama, and that christians in north carolina suck.

i was worried, but then i realized of my thousand friends, these 30 or so rabid posters are the ‘angry minority’ that are the loudest. the silent majority are why ssm is 0 for 32. i truly doubt the ‘generational’ polls, by the way. it’s not yet a slam dunk. it’s just the loudest voices.

pamplonajack on May 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

So if he was a repubican it would be “flip-flop” but since he is a dem it is “evolving”.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Obama is going gay for pay. This is the gay money bomb.

rubberneck on May 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Any comment from Rev. Wright? Muslim Brotherhood?

JPeterman on May 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Moral Courage:

$1 million raised in 90 minutes…

Washington Free Beacon is calling it “Gay for Play” because it follows oh so coincidentally on the heels of threats to withhold $…

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Any comment from Rev. Wright? Muslim Brotherhood?

JPeterman on May 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM

From the Rev..

Something about Roosters and coming home..

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Oh yeah, best not to deal with those pesky social issues. After all, it’s the economy, stupid.

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

and let’s be honest, allah. the dems’ worry with A-A voters isn’t that they are going to vote for Romney, it’s that black voters might just stay HOME and not vote.

without record, and i mean RECORD turnout in 08 (“i’ve waited 84 years to vote for a black man”, that kind of mood), north carolina is gop, virginia is gop, perhaps florida is gop.

you can do the numbers yourself. without extraordinarily high black turnout nationally, North carolina (and to a lesser extent Florida) are easy pickings for republicans.

pamplonajack on May 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Just when you thought he couldn’t sink any further….

And its only Thursday.

This SOB is a POS with bells on.

What will it be tomorrow?

Selling the Army to China to pay off debt?

Launching a preemptive nuclear attack on Israel? (Hey, the Iranians were just gonna screw it up anyway, right?)

This repulsive jerk thinks that principles are people who run schools.

Can we just kick him out of the country now?

turfmann on May 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I am truly bewildered by the fact that liberals are celebrating because their hero cynically lied about his position on SSM to get elected and then reversed himself for obviously political reasons to get elected again. How exactly is this a victory for them? Why don’t they feel used?

stvnscott on May 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Since he stop pretending to be against gay marriage, can he now stop pretending to be a Christian?

Kjeil on May 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Evolved? So gills suddenly have become lungs?

kurtzz3 on May 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I got my e-mail 39-minutes ago [name is a DailyCaller.com Jim Treacher blog goof -- and the Obama Campaign accepted it. Go figure]:

Brock Dawgeeter –

Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

If you agree, you can stand up with me here.

Barack

FlatFoot on May 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It’s all about this.

Bitter Clinger on May 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

And???? 38 years ago Romney put a dog on his roof!

Bishop on May 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Pinko-Pander-Puss strike again!

Operators are standing by to take your donations!

Pork-Chop on May 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Obama wants money so he flip-flopped on homosexual marriage.

‘Obama reversal on same sex marriage comes just days after donors threatened to withhold funds’

sentinelrules on May 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Just that Obama talks out many orifices…

Forewarned.

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

…mostly out of the bottom one!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I have a feeling I am going to become as sick of the word “evolved” as I am of “inherited”.

ctmom on May 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

For some reason, reminds me of the 1999 Don Hertzfeld cartoon, REJECTED

Ugly on May 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

BO’s “religion” is Leftism and self-promotion. Christianity was just a convenient trapping to help him gain credibility within the Black community and to aid his rise to power. Nothing more.

mydh12 on May 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Also I suspect you probably don’t know many black Obama voters. I got my haircut this afternoon at the barber shop. No one had anything nice to say about gay people,…

libfreeordie on May 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

rogerb on May 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

For some reason, reminds me of the 1999 Don Hertzfeld cartoon, REJECTED…

Ugly on May 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

“I’m the Queen of France!”

lolz

Ugly on May 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

So, he may have gained the gay vote (doubt it), but he’s for sure lost the Muslim contingent………….

waterytart on May 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And where states disallow same-sex marriage, a gutsy Congress bypassing federal act by me should invalidate them in my next term.

FTFY, Barack.

FlatFoot on May 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

0bama will still get 90%+ of the black vote because he is a whtie-black. However, that multiplier will have far fewer actual black votes as they stay home.
jukin3 on May 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You don’t know the power of identity politics.

No, the black community’s perspective will begin to “evolve”. Count on it. Spiritual dynamics are an amazing thing. If they are willing to ignore or otherwise overlook his manifold unsuitability for that office simply because of the color of his skin, they’ll make allowances for this also.

The black community used to be the most reliable Biblically oriented segment of the American population but this will put the final nail in that collective coffin.

Obama’s gonna have a hell of a lot to answer for.

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Cheese Factories are smiling…

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Loathesome hypocrite.

AZCoyote on May 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Obama is 1/32 gay. And with high cheek bones.

Curtiss on May 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Can you imagine old Willy McDole running ads and accusing Ogabe of being a “flip-flopper”?

Hehe … yeah – neither can I. Willy McDole accusing someone of flip-flopping is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

And don’t think for one minute that Obama didn’t calculate that he could get away with this flip-flop because the GOP picked the king of flippers and floppers for it’s nominee.

Score one for Ogabe.

HondaV65 on May 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Rolling out every so often something to try to get momentum

of course number 1 is always race, had population control for a few months, a couple months of overall women WAR, now some swordfighting. Notice how it was slow rolled for a few days to try to build to a crescendo. I’m trying to figure out what will be next for June or July, then convention afterward.

Innies and Outties make babies, any other combo is like Windows 95.

John Kettlewell on May 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

“I don’t know what that means or how he’s drawing that distinction.”

O_O

Seven Percent Solution on May 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Obama’s being in favor of “SSM” is the worst-kept secret in America. The real question, in view of Michelle, is whether he’s in favor of S-*and*-M.

Zumkopf on May 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This election, the future of the republic and the fate of the entire world all come down to one thing and one thing only:

Gay marriage.

Ben Hur on May 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

This conversation is going to be buried in the coming months by the simmering ,monstrous issue that almost no one is talking about:

The.
Price.
of.
Food.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Play that bone-a-phone, Baracky!
Tube steak! It’s what’s for dinner.

Sasha List on May 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

So because Sasha and Malia had no friends with gay parents when Obamas were in Chicago , he was against SSM. Before he was for it .
Now that they do ( which might be highly suspicious anyway since it is Hussein who is saying it) Hussein is for SSM and imposing it on the country , and collecting big money from the gays while doing so .
I wonder what his views on infanticide will be when Sasha or Malia get pregnant .

burrata on May 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Obama is 1/32 gay. And with high cheek bones.

Curtiss on May 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Bones…Yes…
Cheeks…yes…

1/32….too low.

Electrongod on May 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Heh. Sure.

Who believes that.

Curtiss on May 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The.
Price.
of.
Food.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

It’s all part of the plan. Comrade Stalin approves.

JPeterman on May 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Obama is 1/32 gay. And with high cheek bones.

Curtiss on May 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Those are his shoulder blades.

Rio Linda Refugee on May 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

The original purpose of marriage benefits was to provide for dependents.

With gay marriage, the only people in the world that it is impossible to leave a tax free estate, or social security benefits, is my children, parents, or sibling. Otherwise, I can pick out any asshole off the street and they can have the tax benefit of marriage. My children? No. My Mother? No. My sister? No. My best friend from high school who I haven’t seen for five years? Sure, no problem.

Why can’t everyone have what gays want, Obama?

jaime on May 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Those are his shoulder blades.

Rio Linda Refugee on May 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Now you’re just being silly. Clearly that’s where the strings attach.

rogerb on May 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

“..if you’re explaining, you’re not winning!”

The War Planner on May 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Am I the only one that sees the politics behind these “road to Damascus (and I’m not talking the town in Maryland)” evolutions?

This is like an episode of twilight zone.

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

What interests me is that BO is in a position where he is forced to make public (although we already knew) his true feelings about SSM this close to the election. As others have noted in the Free Beacon article it’s about money and votes. Nothing new here, but following weeks of exploding cigar episodes this seems to be a signal that they’re feeling rather panicked.

While there are groups who will vote for him no matter what he does my impression is that the enthusiasm factor is, or has, dissipated. Why should young voters turn out? They can’t find jobs, and being cool in 2008 doesn’t mean that he’s that cool 4 years later. The same goes for black voters. They’ll vote for him, but why make much of an effort? He hasn’t done much for them, and in the end self-interest trumps all. INOW, are we better off now than we were 4 years ago? No.

This move may confirm for many other Americans that BO is not one of us. He doesn’t like this country, our values, our standards or our success. Many of us have felt this all along, and his actions have substantiated our view. We’re not doing well. We’re struggling, and the future looks bleak.

Coming out for SSM looks like an act of desperation to me. More thoughtful voters will have time to think about this for the next six months, and I doubt it will help BO.

He’s wasted our money with a flare for profligacy that is truly breathtaking, and the last years have taken precious time from people who do not have jobs or adequate income to plan for their futures. Time cannot be replaced. These wasted years cannot be replaced, and I don’t think BO will be forgiven for this. No, he’s not a ‘nice’ man. Not in any respect.

Cody1991 on May 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

stvnscott on May 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Because they are gullible morons who can’t distinguish fantasy from reality, maybe?

Dark Star on May 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

In the meantime, unemployment nationally is at 15% (I’m a U-6 guy) and even higher among blacks. Obama’s policies have done nothing to diminish the prevelance of baby daddies among the black community. There has been no increase in positive male role models among the black community. There are no fewer blacks unemployed, no fewer out of public housing, no fewer self sufficient, no more contributing to society instead of taking.

Bishop Harry Jackson is no man of God. He has decided that race trumps the word of God. He will be joining our Muslim President in hell.

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

It just occurred to me how off-kilter this is. He only looks at them at the dinner table? No place else? Next, with this intro one would expect him to follow up with some b.s. about some conversation he’s supposedly had with them at the dinner table, but he doesn’t do that. He just talks about looking at them and then presuming to know what would or would not “dawn on them”. So we’re left to conclude he has never actually broached the subject with them. He’s just cynically dropping their names to stir our hearts.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Heh. Sure.

Who believes that.

Curtiss on May 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The Catholic Bishops?

Fenris on May 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Happy Nomad on May 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I’m always suspicious of preachers who assume for themselves the mantle of “Bishop” or “Apostle” or other such ridiculous titles.

Cleombrotus on May 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

waterytart on May 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Just wait until all the waivers and exceptions come out, like under Obamacare, and nothing is lost.

News2Use on May 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Nice dinnertime conversation. One of the daughters is around nine..

sandee on May 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Nice dinnertime conversation. One of the daughters is around nine..

sandee on May 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

But he never says he talks to them about it. He just looks at them and then presumes to know what will/won’t “dawn” on them.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

At most other times Michelle’s huge butt is blocking his view.

jaime on May 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

You know what’s really crazy about this?

Weren’t we just told how strong Team Barry’s oppo research on Mitt is?

Yeah.

I’ve got a feeling, they’ve got internals which show no one gave a flying F.

budfox on May 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m pretty sure Muslims do not support gay marriage. Boy, Obummer’s outreach efforts will take a big hit.

Philly on May 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If in fact Obama has always been a true blue fan of legalizing gay marriage then what you’re watching here is him lying, straight up, not only about his position on SSM but about the importance of his religious beliefs. – AP

And of course, your long-time readers who identify on the hard right have been saying what about Obama since his emergence?

1. That he’s a stone-cold liar;
2. That he’s a complete religious fraud and has less interest in the Christian church than any “Christian” politician we’ve ever seen; and
3. That he’s a left-fringe kook with a pathological inclination to misrepresent his goals and views in order to get elected.

Sorry to be right every fuc*ing time; glad to see you caught up to us.

Jaibones on May 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Last paragraph:

Bull. We just spent the last three weeks on church doctrines regarding contraception being overruled by HHS. His statement is a flat out lie.

ss396 on May 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM

If he’s doing this just to get donations from Gays, he must be really desperate. The irony is that so many Blacks and Hispanics have been driven out of formally depressed neighborhoods that were gentrified by artsy hipsters, and turned into Gay yuppie playgrounds.

I happen to believe that people who are Gay are born with a genetic defect that makes them that way. I don’t have anything against them as individuals. But a whole room full of overtly Gay men makes me nauseous.

To me, homosexuality should be tolerated not celebrated.

ardenenoch on May 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Obama was about to be outed if he did not make this statement. A statement he has made previously as Senator Obama.
He was told by the gay lobby to make the statement or be outed and be prepared to not get $$$

Delsa on May 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

ss396 on May 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Yep.

Buy Danish on May 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM

You know, when I was growing up, I always marveled at how journalists and politicians always had a “green left-handed, pigeon-toed three-eyed” friend that just happened to match up with whatever the story de’ jour happened to be and always wondered how those people had such a network of friends and acquaintances. After I realized that these were liberals and that liberals always lie (I’m sorry, create “composites”), I then understood how these people could always just happen to have a gay, same-sex married couple with kids as acquaintances.

AZfederalist on May 10, 2012 at 12:19 AM

“I’ve gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.”

Who? That sounds very made up. So tell us, which gay and lesbian troops have you gotten to know?

juanito on May 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM

..I can pick out any asshole off the street…

jaime on May 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Seems to be the gay selection criterion.

socalcon on May 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

If this was his position in the ’90′s and he’s evolving, how soon will our limbs be replaced with fins?

socalcon on May 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Interesting how low turnouts and fundraising causes evolution in opinions. Except that it won’t be actual evolution unless this adaptation enhances his political survivability, and the survival of our society. A lot of what passes for progress these days has been tried in civilizations that are now dead. Rome and Greece most notably. What seems to have gotten past our elites is that societies thrive and grow because of families who welcome children and rear and nurture them with values similar to their own. When they are unable or unwilling to continue to do so, their future is bleak. What long-lived great civilization has lasted without healthy families?

flataffect on May 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM

But Biden’s remarks on “Meet the Press” deeply annoyed Obama’s team, people close to the situation tell POLITICO, because it aggrandized his role at the expense of Obama’s yeoman efforts on behalf of the community and pushed up the timing of a sensitive announcement they had hoped to break — at a time and place of their own choosing — in the weeks leading up to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte this fall

I thought the Dem convention was in August. That’s plenty of time for Obama to be ‘against it’ again, before he evolves to ‘for it’. The lefties will just eat that type of pathos and moral turmoil up!

socalcon on May 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM

So tell us, which gay and lesbian troops have you gotten to know?

juanito on May 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Obama, ‘Well, there was that one ‘butch’ Aryan-looking Corporal and that one Ensign appeared light in his loafers. But, as C-in-C, I adhere strictly to DADT!’

socalcon on May 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM

So the butterfly has “evolved” from his chrysalis, and he’s fabulous . . .
Thumbs-up from Reggie Love . . .

tpitman on May 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Much ado. Much ado. It’s really just a simple combination of technologies. We now know that all of this time the weather vane actually showed the direction of “evolution”.
The politics of Barrack Hussein Ogustus have doppler clarity. He did say the most transparent.

onomo on May 10, 2012 at 6:20 AM

If he “evolved” on such an important issue, maybe he’ll start evolving on health care, taxes, spending, entitlement reform…

…yeah, I just read that first line. Started laughing. You only evolve on those issues that open up lib pocketbooks.

Pope Linus on May 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM

ha ha ha Hotair digs up an eight year old clip to build a flip flop case

With Mittens they can be built with days and hours

I hope you clowns have common law couple friends in NC who get royally f*cked by the amendment.

Dave Rywall on May 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Lesson to be learned for liberals: Don’t ever again vote for someone who is in the maturation process; chose an adult!

PaCadle on May 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM

This is why Democrats win.
They do not stick to any ONE principle.
Just the principle of winning.
And they don’t care how it gets done.
The power is in the entitlements.

Badger40 on May 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM

To me, homosexuality should be tolerated not celebrated.

ardenenoch on May 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I agree.
Stop pushing it in my face & stop trying to make me like it.
I won’t ever.
But I’m not going to treat you badly bcs you are gay.

OK-cue in Those who us this statement to parse about how but I’m denying them their rights.
Bcs that’s old $hit.
Gay people have the right to be together & have their relations, leave their property to whomever they please, etc.
But just like polygamists cannot have all their marriages recognized by the state, neither can gays have their marriages recognized by the state.
Let the states hash it out. Leave the Fed out of it.

Badger40 on May 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM

If Adam gets to marry stEVE then why should we deny Mohammed his four wives and Joseph his forty? What is the moral basis to deny anyone or group of people the “right” to marry? Father/son, mother/daughter, uncle/nephew, aunt/niece?

Mojave Mark on May 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

How would you like to be a black Christian guy and and have all of your political views dictated to you by this buttsniffing nitwit just because of your skin color? This is the worst example of symbolic slavery in American society today. Poor bastards.

Jaibones on May 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Dave Rywall on May 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM

News flash, Drywall: O’Bozo was “against” gay marriage yesterday morning, and “for” gay marriage at lunch. Please provide similar flip-floppery by Romney.

Jaibones on May 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM

What’s the Japanese word for homosexual-OKAMA. No foolin’.

MaiDee on May 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Whatever is hot on Twitter Obama usually comes around in favor of it.

albill on May 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Reporters today could take a lesson from the questioner who does not allow The One filibuster 10 minute answers and continually interrupts him to get him back on topic, which clearly annoyed him.

crazywater on May 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM

so obama flipfloped… at least we have a repub of strong principles to take his place /

more interesting is, at a time where politicians usually tack the center on issues, Obama assumed a more “leftist” position…
For Obama to do this, its not because of the strength of his conviction, but probably because he realized the center moved to his position.

nathor on May 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Jaibones on May 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM
——

ha ha ha yeah, that’s why they had to dig up an 8 year old interview

You clowns continue to ignore the fact that NC’s amendment is retarded and will f*ck up the lives of ALL non-married couples.

But objectively evaluating current affairs is not really something you have a shred of a clue how to do.

So carry on with the stupid.

Oh, and fast flip flops by romney:

Oct 10 expresses support for the 99% and the OWS protestors
“I worry about the 99 percent in America…And so I look at what’s happening on Wall Street and my own view is, boy I understand how those people feel…The people in this country are upset.”
Oct 11 criticizes OWS protestors
“finding a scapegoat, finding someone to blame, in my opinion, isn’t the right way to go”

Mar 2: praises Obama’s Afghan policy
Mar 2 12 hours later: craps on Obama’s Afghan policy

Feb 2: Against Blunt amendment
Question: “Blunt-Rubio is being debated later this week that deals with allowing employers to ban providing female contraception.”
Romney answer: “I’m not for the bill. But, look, the idea of presidential candidates getting into questions about contraception within a relationship between a man and a woman, husband and wife, I’m not going there.”
Feb 2 46 minutes later
“Regarding the Blunt bill, the way the question was asked was confusing…Governor Romney supports the Blunt Bill because he believes in a conscience exemption in health care for religious institutions and people of faith.”
YEAH, SUCH A F*CKING CONFUSING QUESTION HA HA HA HA

Plenty more out there of varying degrees of Flip Flop Speed (FFS)

Dave Rywall on May 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Barack

This may be one part of the fundraising missive that bugs me more than any other.

What ever happened to the President of the United States using the honorific that accompanies the office?? This is not some guy in the cubicle next to me, or someone I know by their name tag at the checkout aisle in the grocery store, for crying out loud.

I cannot wait until someone – anyone – with more dignity than this man (and his wife descending the steps of Air Force One in shorts) occupies the White House.

Captain Scarlet on May 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Captain Scarlet on May 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
——
Why don’t you get back in your time machine and go back to your people in 1952 where you’re obviously much happier.

Dave Rywall on May 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

For alcoholics, they call it “hitting bottom” before they finally are ready to admit that they has a problem and evolve.

This case with Obama seems to have some parallels.

J_Crater on May 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM