You know, the federal govt should really get more involved in this obesity crisis

posted at 2:43 pm on May 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Yesterday, I opined on Michelle Obama’s over-before-it-even-began attempt to eliminate America’s supposed “food deserts” as a part of her Let’s Move campaign. It’s just one of the abundant examples of government nannies trying to impose the lifestyle choices that they deem best upon others, and their efforts reliably going awry. Whether it’s insisting on healthier school lunches and unintentionally creating black markets in Cheetos, or hoping to control people’s behavior with sin taxes: people just don’t like being told what to do, and will go to great lengths to preserve their options.

But the nannies are not to be deterred. As a part of the Weight of the Nation conference, three days of Centers for Disease Control meetings covering obesity, a panel spoke on the Institute of Medicine’s nearly 500-page new report outlining sweeping policy changes that the government should adopt in order to ‘stave off a healthcare crisis‘ — because according to the report, 42 percent of Americans will be obese by 2030.

The changes are aimed at a complete overhaul of the United States’ “obesogenic” environment, the panel wrote.

“People have heard the advice to eat less and move more for years, and during that time a large number of Americans have become obese,” panelist Shriki Kumanyika of the University of Pennsylvania said…

“The average person cannot maintain a healthy weight in this obesity-promoting environment,” she Kumanyika said.

Strategies like a possible soda tax and new zoning laws to encourage walking and biking are designed to “reinforce one another’s impact to speed our progress,” said panel chairman Dan Glickman, a former Secretary of Agriculture. …

“Obesity is both an individual and societal concern,” said IOM President Harvey V. Fineberg in a statement, “and it will take action from all of us — individuals, communities and the nation as a whole — to achieve a healthier society.”

This is one of the most fundamental difficulties with the advent of legislative socio-economic interventions like ObamaCare: what should not be a governmental concern, becomes one. A person’s individual health should be their own private business and personal responsibility, but apparently, the “average person” just isn’t capable of taking ownership of their own decisions. Since with ObamaCare their healthcare costs can now be transferred to society as a whole, Big Brother gets to step in and tell everyone what to do — always remember, it’s for your own good.

I’m not saying there’s anything inherently bad about wishing people would take greater care and responsibility with their health. I’m just saying there’s a lot that’s woefully misguided about trying to arrange by fiat the bicycling, granola-crunching utopia of your wildest dreams — especially since it provides such a ready-made excuse for furthering government power. For example, were these nanny-staters interested in rolling back government policies that, operating under the noble guise of serving public interest, actually caused extremely damaging secondary effects? Nope:

The IOM committee also grappled with one of the third rails of American politics: farm policy. Price-support programs for wheat, cotton and other commodity crops prohibit participating farmers from planting fruits and vegetables on land enrolled in those programs. Partly as a result, U.S. farms do not produce enough fresh produce for all Americans to eat the recommended amounts, and the IOM panel calls for removing that ban.

The committee did not endorse the call by food activist Michael Pollan and others to eliminate farm subsidies that make high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils and other obesity-promoting foods very cheap. “There is no evidence subsidies contribute to obesity,” said Glickman.

Hmm. How convenient.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Foodfight!

Archivarix on May 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Translation: we need a LOT of crises to distract from the utter failure of this regime to restore the economy and employment, and distract from the impending disaster of Dodd Frank and O’Care.

Thank you that will be all.

CorporatePiggy on May 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

If the federal government can take over healthcare, it will control everything.

RedSoxNation on May 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I was going to workout this afternoon but i have a buddy in town who wants to meet for a beer.

If only there was a federal law in place to help me decide what to do.

Ditkaca on May 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Spawn is 6’1 and around 135.
I’m 5’2 1/2 and under 120.
The furry Star War character can BITE ME!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Bingo.

VinceOfDoom on May 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Man’s next mortal enemy?

Big Food.

“I’m fat, and I eat junk food. Its Frito-Lay’s fault. How much can I get from them in a lawsuit?”

BobMbx on May 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You know, the federal government really ought to get involved in take over every aspect of my life.

Rixon on May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Ditkaca on May 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I’m going to the gym today- 3 mile round trip walk-after I finish my damn coffee!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

By the way, when you reduce the cost of health care to people in the form of subsidies or entitlement payments, you reduce the incentive for people to be healthy. Once people beleive that health care is an inherent right, the incentive to make healthier choices is eliminated. The Result: a fatter population.

RedSoxNation on May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

GET OUT OF OUR LIVES!

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

-Comrade. Your spinal implant has notified us that you have failed to perform your daily exercise allotment.

“But…but….I have the flu and can barely move!”

-Comrade. Perform your daily exercise allotment or you will be punished with a body shock.

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

When you’re paid to grow corn and sugar, why would you grow broccoli?

J.E. Dyer on May 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

You know what makes people want to eat obsessively?

Having a marxist president that’s trying to stomp out every one of their civil rights, keep them in poverty and dependent on the government, and nanny them from birth to death.

We can end obesity by ending liberals completely.

Wolfmoon on May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This is the only reason I’d favor Chris Christie as Romney’s running mate. For the pleasure of watching him preside over the Senate Cheesburger Bill debates.

de rigueur on May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yet Obamacare does not allow insurance companies to price policies higher for obese people, smokers, or anyone with a known unhealthy lifestyle. THAT would be the quickest and easiest way to get people to be healthier — make it costly for them not to.

rockmom on May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

One could defintely make the argument that needless government involvement in subsidizing farming, has resulted in increased intake of sugar, contributing to obesity.

If we start to remove that, it would be a positive step in reducing government and hopefully saving money in both of subsidies and obesity health costs.

A soft drink used to be a treat and a luxury. Now for too many youth, a soft drink is now called “Lunch”

firepilot on May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

What would Cartman say about this.

RedSoxNation on May 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

And so begins the war on food.

Happy Nomad on May 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I sure hope the Supremes are keeping this in mind as they draft that opinion.

cthulhu on May 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

US Dept. Of Transportation establishes new rule for the safe transport of food and food products that don’t meet federal guidelines for nutrition.

All delivery routes must be approved through the permitting process, which requires EI statements, approval from all jurisdictions within which these products will pass or be delivered. In addition, all drivers must be certified to transport these hazardous products.

BobMbx on May 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I would like to reaffirm my objection to using BMI as a means for gauging healthy weight. Now I have to get back on my bicycle and pedal for 600 miles because according to the government my 5’11″ 175lbs self is a giant grotesque fatty-McChunky butt.

Meric1837 on May 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

OBESE GOVERNMENT MUST DO WHAT OBESE PEOPLE CANNOT DO FOR THEMSELVES!

Marcola on May 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

How about I lose 10 pounds in exchange for a tax-free year? Yes?

Blacksoda on May 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’m going out some White Castles…

PatriotRider on May 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The foot is in the door now. The argument will be ‘We’re paying for your healthcare so everyone needs to lose weight to reduce costs. Now you can only have cheeseburgers on the first Monday of every month.’ VinceOfDoom on May 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Oh, and no BB guns. You’ll shoot your eye out.

Akzed on May 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

…so that’s why Barn(ey Frank is calling it quits!
…it’s OBESITY not the ECONOMY
…don’t do anything when the mortgage industry was getting fat and having strokes…but, we’ll watch out though for those two-legged Hippo’s… and watch them closely…and if they don’t eat right…we’ll punish the people that are feeding them!
…we’ll be creating NEW JOBS…instead of ambulance chaser’s…we’ll have FAT chaser’s!

KOOLAID2 on May 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

There’s a Mickey D’s a half block from my doorstep. I’m walking by it on my way to the gym.
Occupy Double Cheeseburger!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

How about I lose 10 pounds in exchange for a tax-free year? Yes?

Blacksoda on May 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Even better…..government raises your taxes….you can’t afford food….lose 20lbs! Win win!

Ditkaca on May 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

…except that the California farmers who have lost their livelihoods in the Great Man-Made Drought were growing all that healthy stuff. Growing fruits and veggies is what our government has punished with its drought-promotion policy. J.E. Dyer on May 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

It’s a sign of the end times…

Akzed on May 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

PatriotRider on May 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

No WC’s around here-but I’ll get a slider when I’m in ST.L. next week.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Dude, the Fed cause this crisis by pushing cheap carbs for everyone as a main calorie source. It’s not just junk food.

joeindc44 on May 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

This is related to the Massachusetts effort to ban bake sales and similar activities in school to fight the obesity epidemic. The irony is that childhood obesity is a recent problem, but bake sales, sodas, chips/cheetos, deserts, and even twinkees have been part of children’s diets long before childhood obesity became a problem. The things that are new (since I was in school in the 1960s and 1970s) are school lunches for everyone (everyone brought their own PB&J and raisins or apple when I went to school) and elimination/restriction of competitive athletic endeavors for all kids (to help self esteem we can’t make kids compete where there might be winners like in real life). Also ‘new’ are game boys, etc. which occupy time vice playing ball, etc. with neighbors. If we worked total caloric value of school lunches AND reintroduced aerobic activity and competition, maybe, just maybe, we could make a dent in the obesity problem and not eliminate the little joy in life a snack brings.

WhyNot on May 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

‘stave off a healthcare crisis‘

Shouldn’t that be starve off a healthcare crisis?

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

“Wheat Belly”, and “The Primal Blueprint” both should be text books in High School nutrition classes.

Hawkerflyer on May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Well there goes all of the cooking shows on cable.

docflash on May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Compulsory morning calisthenics in People’s Square.

You too Occupy. No exceptions.

forest on May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

This is what started the English Civi1 War, an attempt to outlaw kidney pie and Yorkshire pudding.

Careful where you tread, feds, I won’t give up BBQ ribs and cheese without a fight.

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

You’ll pry a mcgriddle from my cold dead hands.

lorien1973 on May 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I think it’s nice that for every “problem” there is a solution that involves more government, regulation and taxes.

lorien1973 on May 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Heh, when I first glanced at that headline, I thought it said FERAL Goverment…

Which is not really that inappropriate of a description.

Not to worry though; I have already set it up with a skinny person to smuggle me food when I get hauled off to ‘re-education and de-fatification camp’ by the Federal Fat Police.

Although maybe I’ll make them just pry my Twinkies out of my cold, dead hands.

LegendHasIt on May 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

BobMbx on May 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

And they’ll have to wear appropriate personal protective equipment.

The trucks and shipping/receiving areas will have to be retrofitted or redesigned to load/unload.

That was just DOT.

Let’s get Commerce and EPA to weigh in!

bettycooper on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

WhyNot on May 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

The primary school that my youngest chillins attend actually dictate the late morning snacks kids can have. My little boy got a note send home in his planner notifying us that Oreos are not an acceptable snack.

I believe that the door to the principles office still hasn’t been fixed, the hinges somehow became violently separated from the doorframe.

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Darn, I wish they would move that strike button away from the quote button.

LegendHasIt on May 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

It is not the citizens who are too fat….
It’s the frggin’ government that’s too fat!!!

oldernwiser on May 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Great idea, is there a problem the federal government can’t can solve?

NoDonkey on May 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

So make up your minds liberals….what is it going to be….keep the government off of your body OR have the government completely in control of everything having to do with your body….really you are a confused group!

Caseoftheblues on May 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

HEH, Lorien GMTA.

LegendHasIt on May 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I would have gone straight through the wall.

So tell about the discussion you had with this esteemed educator.

Akzed on May 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I am sooo glad that Friday is my son’s last day of mandatory schooling.
This fall he’ll start college and get to sit through brain-washing sessions led by lefty professors.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Caseoftheblues on May 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

The government is out of your bedroom and into your refrigerator.

NoDonkey on May 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

These type of “slippery slope” arguments do not make sense to my Lefty friends and family. They think it’s all hyperbole and paranoia. Then, when the ill-advised policy finally affects them, it’s too late. Liberty lost is very difficult to get back.

visions on May 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

The school I attended for part of 3rd grade-better than the school I attended after we moved-wouldn’t let you have recess if you didn’t FINISH MOST OF YOUR LUNCH..
My-how times have changed.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I’m wondering if the stop smoking campaign over the past 20 years or so has contributed to the obesity “epidemic.” Might be an unintended consequence at work here.

2L8 on May 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The lunatic-left dolts really, really need BIG GOVERNMENT and its stooges in the lamestream socialist media to tell them what to wear, what to eat, what to think, what to drive, what to carry groceries in, what box to check in elections, what to drink, what to do every moment of every day….

Otherwise, they would just endlessly spin around in circles until they collapsed into a hot steamy pile.

People with BRAINS do not need the lunatic-left nanny state!

TeaPartyNation on May 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?

Wednesday: Yes.

Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they’re real lemons?

Pugsley: Yes.

Girl Scout: Well, I’ll tell you what. I’ll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?

Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Great scene!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Michelle’s hate speech against fat kids is the cause for all their bullying. She should be in jail, right? At least that is the rationale of the Democrats for those criticizing other lifestyle choices.

eMatters on May 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Rixon on May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Let’s hear from some our esteemed Leftists on what should rightly be called a War on Liberty by the National Socialist Left.

They want to take away your Liberty’s from free-speech, self-defense and religion all the way down to the kind of light bulb you can buy.

Now they want to have to power to take a way you Liberty of choice on what to eat and when to exercise.

Chip on May 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

PatriotRider on May 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

No WC’s around here-but I’ll get a slider when I’m in ST.L. next week.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The Jalepeno Cheeseburgers are the best…

PatriotRider on May 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Why was the doorframe left intact? Why was a doorway used at all?

de rigueur on May 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

PatriotRider on May 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Lubbock eats suck!
Off to the gym…and Mickey D’s.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Watch how the fat police always frame the statistics….”50% of Americans are overweight or obese”….Which is it? Overweight or obese? Because they aren’t the same thing.

IMO most of this is BS.

roux on May 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

RedSoxNation on May 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

surely you can’t argue with the way Social Security, unlimited benefits, handouts and pandering have improved our economy and personal wealth….? Big brother knows best /sarcasm off

fulhamfc on May 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The govt can solve this. If I recall, there was 0% obesity in Auschwitz.

Bevan on May 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

TeaPartyNation on May 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I like a pool of melted butter better.

bettycooper on May 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I feel so stupid – I managed to lose a great deal of weight on my own without the government telling me what to do.

How ever did I manage? /

gophergirl on May 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

The govt can solve this. If I recall, there was 0% obesity in Auschwitz.

Bevan on May 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Instant thread winner.

Archivarix on May 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Too early for a palate cleanser, but enjoy this anyway:

On Drudge, the WH now requires unborn babies to be registered for tours.

BobMbx on May 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So let me get this straight…insurance companies charging fatties/smokers more for insurance because of their higher costs equals discrimination. But the government taxing my healthy, skinny butt to pay for fat people’s “education” equals totally awesome!

How about we start calling fat people fat, make them pay for 2 seats on planes, allow them to have that moment of shame when they get kicked off a roller coaster. It’s this constant codeling of people that’s allowed them to feel pathetically comfortable in their lazy, unhealthy lifestyle.

nextgen_repub on May 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Obesity kills young people. Smoking kills young people.

Everyone dies of something and at the point of near-death, that something becomes expensive. Everyone is expensive at the end of life.

State sponsored health care in most countries avoids caring for the elderly as their life is not as useful to the collective.

If obesity and smoking are drastically reduced (remember, these are killers of the young), then most of what is left, statistically, usually kills the elderly AND since they are less than useful to the collective, the state needs not pay for their treatments.

Are the obesity and smoking nannies creating a back-door method of reducing healthcare costs?

Nemesis of Jihad on May 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Sorry, coddling not codeling. I was way off, knew it started with a C though.

And didn’t mean to be harsh, but sometimes tough love is the best solution!

nextgen_repub on May 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

If the federal government can take over healthcare, it will control everything.
RedSoxNation on May 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Food is the next step.

The vast majority of people can survive without health care. It’s a big chunk of the economy, but it’s not quite enough of a hammer all by itself.

logis on May 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Compulsory morning calisthenics in People’s Square.

You too Occupy. No exceptions.

forest on May 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Oh noes! The gubmint sez working outside can kill me!

Obama Administration Warns That Working Outdoors Can Kill You

Brat on May 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

If they really intended to fight childhood obesity, they’d put a tax on Wii’s, Nintendos, and PS3′s.

cthulhu on May 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

IMO most of this is BS.

roux on May 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Clarification of your quote:The number of overweight Americans plus the number of obese Americans is 50%.
BMI>25 is overweight.
BMI>30 obese.
BMI>40 morbidly obese.

Alternate form of same statement: 50% of Americans have a BMI over 25.

Exact percentages in each category vary depending on state, year, race, etc.
While the government remedy is unacceptable, the problem is very real.

talkingpoints on May 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I’ve lost over 40 pounds in the last 6 months without any help from the government. In fact, I’ve done it by completely ignoring their nutritional guidelines. Listening to them is making people fat.

That’s how it works: Government manufactures a problem and then tells you they’re the only ones who can fix it.

Jim Treacher on May 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM

*citation needed

*causal relationship between advertising/promotion of unhealthy food and over-riding need for government to step in and ‘do something’ to the entire society not established.

Good Lt on May 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

cthulhu on May 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Exactly. At the very least, you don’t need a video game console to live, while control of the food chain is seriously Orwellian. But that’s their REAL goal.

MelonCollie on May 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I think I need new glasses. I read: “Strategies like a possible soda tax and new zoning laws to encourage walking and biking . . .” and could have sworn it said to “encourage bikini waxing. . . ” Come to think of it, either would be equally as ineffective in reducing obesity.

natasha333 on May 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

If Obamacare doesn’t destroy the restaurant industry over healthcare requirements, then damn it, they’ll do whatever they need to to make the food taste terrible.

Washington Fancy on May 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

The composite 21st century woman/beta-male named Julia cannot maintain a healthy weight in this obesity-promoting environment

Fixed for today’s Democrat voter.

MNHawk on May 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

when you finally get sick and tired of being fat and not able to do squat, you’ll make the changes needed. if not, you’re just lazy and stupid. end of story.

GhoulAid on May 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

As newly-slim Stockard Channing in The Girl Most Likely To said:

“I’m the kid they used to yell ‘Fat, fat the water rat
…at.”

Her character should have been born circa 2000; nowadays, obesity is the new normal.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Surprised this is coming out now.
Way to much fodder for an election year.
Fast Food/ Small business would get crushed in any regulation in this area. Urban areas in particular.

Jabberwock on May 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Eat more protein, fewer carbs. Basically, ignore the old food pyramid.

Choose an active lifestyle. For example, I can’t believe how many people will drive to a restaurant that is next to a hotel instead of walking a few feet.

Instead of dealing with your emotions by eating, work on the underlying problems so you don’t have those emotions in the first place.

If severly obese, talk to your doctor about pills, surgery, etc.

McDuck on May 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I honestly feel for obese people.

Now they have the government nagging them.

If you want reduce weight and feel healthier, do it because you have pride and optimism for yourself, not because the government is trying to control your life.

A conservative idea.

MichaelGabriel on May 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

This is another step towards justifying Obummercare so that the government can get in your fridge and decide what you can or cannot eat. Or else. In the name of “lowering costs”, there will be government workers deciding what you can eat, what you can drink, what you can feed your kids, and eventually whether it’s financially feasible for you to stay alive. This is so over the top, Big Brother, that I don’t want my kids to have kids. This is not what our founders intended for the USA. Frightening, really.

samazf on May 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

For crying out loud, am I going to have to do this again?

The report stated that obesity-related illness has an estimated annual cost of $190.2 billion, and a study released Monday by researchers at Duke University forecast that 42 percent of Americans will be obese by 2030.

Yep, I am. Damn I hate people who don’t get numbers. PAY ATTENTION… this isn’t complicated. They’re playing an apples to oranges game, and everyone seems to be buying it.

You know something about those expensive Obesity costs? Lots of them end up with people dying. Do you think dead people have higher costs next year?

Wouldn’t it be more effective to determine a lifetime cost rather than a per-year cost? If only there were a medically approved peer-reviewed study that did this with obesity…

Oh, there is one. What did they find?

Because of differences in life expectancy, however, lifetime health expenditure was highest among healthy-living people and lowest for smokers. Obese individuals held an intermediate position. Alternative values of epidemiologic parameters and cost definitions did not alter these conclusions.

(emphasis added by me)

You want to fix health care costs? Fine, punish all those healthy joggers… and subsidize Marlboros and Twinkies.

Or at the very least, quit trying to put as many people as possible into the highest cost category here and claim this will lower costs. That won’t help costs, but it won’t hurt… which is what we’re doing now.

If your goal is to live longer? Quit smoking, stay at a healthy weight, exercise. All of those will help you live longer. No argument, no question.

If your goal is to lower your total health care costs, or you want to know what to recommend to others to lower their costs to you? Smoke, drink heavily, maybe start doing drugs… and definitely quit exercising. Health Care costs will drop to zero much faster that way.

And think of the incidental savings to Social Security. Those are Government Costs to society too, right?

The Study I linked only refers to health care costs… once you add in everything else… subsidizing Twinkies and Marlboros makes even more economic sense.

Maybe drop the whole “costs” and “costs to society” and “costs to government” parts of this argument. Or expect anyone with a basic understanding of math and statistics to mock you anytime you open your mouth.

gekkobear on May 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I guess this is the government’s way of telling me, and my family, and most the people I know we are above average…

Considering the source of the compliment it isn’t really that uplifting…

Sinatra_98 on May 8, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I have heard that they are using the government BMI numbers for all of this which is also being used in the military to determine where the troops are placed as far as physical training. My son, who was in the army, happened to fall into the exact center of his height/ weight ratio, and was in a moderate training group. One of his best friends was 6’3″ at 252 lbs of solid muscle. He was sent to the “obese” training. It took several months and a ton of paperwork before he was allowed to move on to the maximum training and even more paperwork before moving on to the Special Forces because that original rating followed him around for years. And this system should be used on the general public? God forbid.

Xyz22 on May 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

gekkobear on May 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Good stuff there Bear.

LegendHasIt on May 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

HERE’S A DEAL FOR YOU, GOVERNMENT:

You lose 30% of YOUR mass FIRST!!!!

landlines on May 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

So you quote one study, based off costs from the Netherlands which only lists 3 categories of people, uses BMI, which has “assumes” for it’s first 3 scenarios and lists multiple times how it ignores a lot of scenarios…and that was just from a quick scan of the study. And from that everyone who says the obese or smokers cost more deserve to be mocked? Riiight…

nextgen_repub on May 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Here’s the “inconvenient truth” and the biggest problem with government involvement in Healthcare:

The ONLY person who can determine whether you’re SICK or WELL is YOU!!!

…in other words, there is no universally-accepted “health” goal:

If you’re thin and UNHAPPY, you think you’re SICK.

If you have a constant pain that you ignore and are HAPPY, you’re NOT sick.

If you live a long life, but you’d rather have a short, adventurous life, you don’t want the government working against your happiness.

Not everybody has the same goals for their life (that’s why it’s YOUR life).

People MUST be free to make their own tradeoffs: that’s where the phrase “spend your life” comes from!!! It should be YOUR CHOICE!!!

And if optimal health was the universal, supreme, and mandated goal, the population of Washington DC would be ZERO!!! After all, it is built on swampland that no state wanted.

landlines on May 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM

OBESE GOVERNMENT…

Marcola on May 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Starve the beast! Leave the people alone.

Fallon on May 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

This entire article is a complete fallacy.

You want to see trulu wasteful spending on healthcare? Look into all the fraudulent ER visits that go on every year.

Want peoole to live healthier? STOP RAISING TAXES and forcing people to work 70 hour weeks in order to be “middle class”.

KMC1 on May 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

What’s the D in CDC stand for? Found another spot for budget cuts.

Necessity; the Tyrant’s plea

John Kettlewell on May 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

What’s the D in CDC stand for?
J. Kettlewell

You mean eating isn’t a disease? It’ll kill you, you know! So the CDC must control eating!

WhyNot on May 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM