Video: New political comedy with big-name stars … not looking so good

posted at 8:51 pm on May 8, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, this movie can’t possibly be as bad as it looks. Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, a release date just three months before a presidential election — it has to be worth seeing, if only for the ad libs. As it is, this trailer’s so terrible, I had to google the title to make sure it’s for an actual movie and not just some sort of gonzo subversive Will-and-Zach YouTube goof on the corniness of Hollywood political satire. (The “Yamaha” gag in particular seems too lame to be meant as a bona fide laugh line.) You’ve got Ferrell in John Edwards hair doing a slightly modified version of his George W. Bush impersonation and Galifianakis sounding at times vaguely like a southern version of Rip Taylor. Curiously, it’s not clear from the clip which party each is supposed to belong to. Hard to believe they’re going to goof on the Democrats; maybe it’s supposed to be a Republican primary? I get the sense that it’s as much a sustained joke on the south as it is on Congress or modern politics.

I’d been counting the days until the “Anchorman” sequel, and now this. What happened?

Comments

Not much to laugh about as Obama and company turn the USA into just another Third World country.

coldwarrior on May 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

coldwarrior on May 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Yeah, thanks for that perspective. Stay on message, always always always.

Allahpundit on May 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

He must be mocking Jimmy Carter.

jaime on May 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I’ll wait to see reviews of it before I go see it, but I’m interested nonetheless. Ferrell’s character seems like an extension of his Bush impersonation though, so theres that.

vegconservative on May 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Was this supposed to make me laugh?

Mark1971 on May 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Apparently the lead proprietor of the “Funny or Die” website didn’t do the former, so he’s going to see his undeclared-political-contribution-to-Obama flick do the latter. But on the positive side for Ferrell, it will be available at discount on DVD well before Election Day.

jon1979 on May 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Oh great…

A movie about Biden running for President..

Electrongod on May 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Why would anyone bother to see a Will Ferret movie? Modern slapstick. Great.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Maybe he’s mocking Bill Clinton. Hard to tell.

jaime on May 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Obviously, they are mocking conservatives. If you love your country, if you love your freedom, if you love your family?

Not to mention the edit by Brady to make his opponent say he was a communist.

I think the target’s pretty clear.

keep the change on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I imagine that some rainy weekend afternoon, a year or so from now, I’ll be flipping through the TV channels looking for something suitable to have on while I get in a nap (that I will deny having to my wife) and I’ll land on this movie on UPN – pause – and resume clicking.

ericdijon on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Will and Zach tend to do better in movies where they’re supporting roles. Too much a limelight and… it tends to fizzle.

Ukiah on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The most unreal thing is that most of these a$$holes are paid more than the oil executives that get trotted in front of Congressional committees for dog and pony shows to be treated like they’re the antichrists.

gsherin on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

The only people who do political comedy well are the Brits. E.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thick_of_It

Also Yes, Minister, Yes Prime Minister, and The New Statesman.

Blake on May 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

this movie can’t possibly be as bad as it looks.

With Will Ferrell in it? Of course it can.

Oldnuke on May 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Ugh. Why aren’t comedies funny anymore?

pookysgirl on May 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Never ceases to amaze me how entertainers intentionally put off half of their potential audience.

BKeyser on May 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Meh.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Both these guys can be funny, but this looks like they are just winging it for 90 minutes. It’s “Land of the Lost” all over again.

Captain Kirock on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Liz Warren.

the_nile on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Looks more like a Funny Or Die short than a movie trailer. Awful.

amerpundit on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Mystery Science Theater 3000 has some competition…

Electrongod on May 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Well at least the Hollywood Illiterati will provide the fiddle while the USA burns.

jukin3 on May 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Mano man what a stinker this looks to be. Too bad, some comedy is badly needed. This just looks unfunny as heII.

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

The really sad part is people were paid good money to produce this piece of sh*t.

Now get back to your $8/hr jobs you selfish whiners…

The Ugly American on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Oh, we are in luck! Here’s one of the funniest episodes from The New Statesman where Alan B’Stard goes to Russia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnyOOgFTaIU

Blake on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Galifianakis sounding at times vaguely like a southern version of Rip Taylor.

Per-zactly! I kept waiting for the little tub to bust out the Bucket o’ Glitter!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

It continuously puzzles me how it is that anyone finds Will Farrel funny.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I hate to say this, but there is a bit of a kernel of fun there. But the ran the people. Imagine a CARICATURE (<–That word means it is a made-up exaggerated impression of a person. Not the real person, ok?) of Sarah Palin running against a CARICATURE of Joe Biden.

I am sorry but I giggle at something like the guy chopping heads off of turkeys behind her and Joe talking about how barbaric that is while eating a $5 footlong turkey sub at Subway.

MunDane68 on May 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Why would anyone bother to see a Will Ferret movie? Modern slapstick. Great.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Well if it is modern slapstick he sucks at it, in fact Will sucks at being funny…never cared for the guy except for his “Frank the Tank” character and even that wasn’t all that funny.

Liberty or Death on May 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Cam is a southern, rural Republican. Marty is a southern, rural Democrat. That’s the impression I get.

Stoic Patriot on May 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves, if people go & see this.

22044 on May 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I don’t get it.

logis on May 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The last time Farrel was funny was when he played cowbell for Blue Öyster Cult.

jaime on May 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Ahh… another movie that will be on HBO forever…

Skywise on May 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Liberty or Death on May 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I agree that Ferret’s not even funny doing slapstick, but even if he were it would still not rate any higher than some so-so physical comedy. Anyone can be mildly funny by making a total fool of himself, which from what I’ve seen is Ferret’s only talent.

Never saw the Frank the Tank character but I’ll take your word as to its mediocrity.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

What I won’t pay for: Watching a movie where Will Ferrel acts like a second grader.

What I will pay for: Front row seats at Obama’s impeachment for treason.

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Because all those anti-war anti-Bush movies from 2000-2008 were such big hits, right?

Wethal on May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Not even a passing whimsy in that entire clip.

John the Libertarian on May 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM

On the bright side it seems to just make both sides look stupid so it kinda bipartisan (although I’m sure we’ll get the standard right wing jokes)

Sucks they didn’t bother to be funny while doing it.

Ampersand on May 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

MunDane68 on May 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I’ll reserve an interest in your “But the ran the people” scenario until a mainstream entertainment media of any type does a CARICATURE of the most absurd and eminently mock-worthy CHARACTER to ever occupy the White House,Puppy Muncher Number 1.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

What I will pay for: Front row seats at Obama’s impeachment for treason.

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

You and me both……
I hope they have popcorn….

Electrongod on May 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Mystery Science Theater 3000 has some competition new material…

Electrongod on May 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM

FIFY

Ampersand on May 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Electrongod,

Prob hot dogs

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Mr. Ferrell’s one-man show, “You’re Welcome, America” was stultifyingly dumb with occasional flashes of brilliance:

1) His torrid fantasy dance with “Condoleeza Rice”.

2) Getting trapped in a cave with brother Jeb and their father–both blaming Dubya and demanding to know why he didn’t talk like them.

3) A phone call from former FEMA Director Michael Brown, reminiscing about the good ol’ days (*sigh* “Ohhhh Brownie…”), and debating how to say “Li’l Kim” in Spanish.

4) Repeated references to the incoming President as, “That Tiger Woods Guy”.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Will Ferrell as himself, only this time playing a politician instead of an ice skater/NASCAR driver/goofy brother/cop!

What made “Anchorman” so funny was Ferrell giving up his schtick for character. Since then, he’s been lazy.

Slublog on May 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Electrongod,

Prob hot dogs

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

; )

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Maybe they are lampooning politicians in general and not either party specifically? That would be refreshing.

bitsy on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

It was a 2hr “Bush is Stupid” joke years after the joke stopped being funny… or original

Hitchens had it right

Ampersand on May 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Electrongod,

Prob hot dogs

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM

; )

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Second that…

Electrongod on May 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Since then, he’s been lazy.

Slublog on May 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The hallmark of liberalism.

jaime on May 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Hitchens had it right

Ampersand on May 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Hey, I look for teh funny from whatever direction it comes. And as I said, the play was dumb with flashes of brilliance!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I cannot imagine any conservative or Republican paying money to see the unfunny Ferrel or Chevy Chase. Both have repeatedly insulted them and said things that I would swing a fist at if they had been said directly to my face. Neither are funny and their movies have all gone to the bottom as soon as the hype is over. They both are one notch below Jerry Lewis’ old shtick and their slapstick is not as good.

inspectorudy on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Sounds like they’re blowing the dust off the old HBO “Tanner ’88″ scripts. Zzzzzzz

DarthBrooks on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Dum.

southsideironworks on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hmmm…

I’d been counting the days until the “Anchorman” sequel

Ahh. Found the problem.

tom on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I thought the clips were pretty funny.

Do I sometimes fantasize about their undergarments? Sure. Do I go “aahlaalaalaa alaaaa” when I see them? No.

Haha. Clinton/Edwards/Biden composite.

bitsy on May 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

bitsy on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I think for now I’ll choose to believe this. I’d like to see just a rip on the manipulative, slimy, pandering nature of politics/politicians in general. Obviously everyone is at least a little biased though, so my hopes aren’t overly high.

powerfactor on May 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ooo…but who do run against him? Besides, Hollywood isn’t strong enough to run a caricature of Obama..that would be Heresy

And I really hate my touch pad when it get left on, it erases whole segments with an errant touch of a thumb.

That sentence should have read, “But they are running the wrong people.”

MunDane68 on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hoooo Huuuummm. Hollywood political humor. Nothing new here.

jan3 on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

will ferrell sucks 99.99% of the time.

kellyjane on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I did like Will Ferrell in “Elf”. He pulled off the naive elf pretty well.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Damn!
Thought Galafreyanikes….whatever…was Ron Swanson!
Now THERE’S a man I’d vote for.

Swanson for President – 2012!

mt

Mistahtibbs on May 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I will be the Polyanna to Allahpundit’s Eeyore. I bet it will be bipartisan and hilarious.

bitsy on May 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I did like Will Ferrell in “Elf”. He pulled off the naive elf pretty well.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Me too. Especially the darling, shrunken Bob Newhart.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM

….nothing burger?

KOOLAID2 on May 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Meh. Not funny.

terryannonline on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I can tolerate them making fun of Republicans (much funnier people than them do it every night), as long as they lob one or two in the direction of the democrats.

That would be refreshing.

But even if they did, it may not be what I hope for. When Bush Sr. was against Clinton, Leno promised that for every joke leveled at one, he would level one at the opponent. Unfortunately, the Bush jokes were about the economy and the Clinton jokes were about what a scamp Billy was.

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Slublog on May 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Astute observation, right on the money…the guy is a no talent!

I agree that Ferret’s not even funny doing slapstick

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Heh, Ferret…I’ll have to call him that for now on!

Liberty or Death on May 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM

bitsy on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Let’s see, Hollywood made this movie, it is coming out a few months before the election. Yeah, it will be a movie lampooning politicians in general and not biased vs. any party or group of Americans.

If you believe that, step into my office. I have a really great deal on this bridge. Newly refurbished with stimulus funds. You’ll make a fortune.

AZfederalist on May 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Will Ferrell… where did it all go so wrong?

JohnGalt23 on May 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Will Ferrell… where did it all go so wrong?

JohnGalt23 on May 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Umm, right there.

AZfederalist on May 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Looks worse than “Land of the Lost”. Ferrell? Forget it.

BHO Jonestown on May 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I think America’s going to show just how tired they are of pathetic dirty-diapered Liberal political snarkiness.

rayra on May 9, 2012 at 12:11 AM

by the looks of it, i’d guess this film is less about mocking Republicans, and more about being opportunistic at the box office and taking advantage of the political season. “Ohh, there’s an election, and this movie has an election..!” **clapping hands**

I got my money on this movie mocking southerners and social conservatives.

shannon76 on May 9, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I think it’s pretty easy to recognize who is supposed to be what party.

Ferrell’s character calls Galifianakis a “communist.” That means Ferrell is playing the Republican.

Galifianakis’s character calls Ferrell a “fatcat.” That means Galifianakis plays the Democrat. (I’m also getting a Richard Trumka vibe from his mustache.)

Jersey B on May 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Political comedy is VERY hard to do right. In fact, I’m not sure that aside from certain jokes, it can be done at all. The real thing works just fine.

avgjo on May 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Obviously it was a Democrat Primary as they’er both Liberal Socialists

mathewsjw on May 9, 2012 at 1:17 AM

what are the odds will ferral will be at least half naked in one scene. I cant stand the guy he is such a hack. I watched 15 min of that cra99y police movie with wallberg. What a POS.

Greed on May 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Guaranteed Oscar bait -or a Nobel prize, or something more valuable than a license to sell sand worms in Maine…..

I’ll stay home….

Don L on May 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Lame. Sort of like watching an Obama speech or David Axelslime explain how Republicans have caused every problem in America today.

At least the “An American Carol” had some scenes that made me laugh–especially the opening where the terrorists try to blow up a voting table somewhere in the Middle East.

BMF on May 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Will Ferrell, most overrated “comedy” actor evah.

MNHawk on May 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I can’t stand Will Farrell. I’ll pass on the movie. I tried to watch Meryl Strep in the Thatcher movie about two weeks ago. I was so disgusted with the way they portrayed her, I turned the damn DVD off and went to bed. Hollywood and the movies that are being produced these days are nearly all horrible. I did enjoy “War Horse”. It was a well done antiwar movie, that showed the insanity of war. For the record I am pro-defense and for a strong military. But I am sane. I hate war. I hate the death and destruction.

SC.Charlie on May 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Yeah, rehash of Bush, you can hear he nearly falls into a complete texas drawl sometimes. I’ll pass. Nothing to see here move along.

jake49 on May 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Will Ferrell’s career has officially entered the same old folks’ home as Jim Carrey’s and Adam Sandler’s.

Crusty on May 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

With Will Ferrell in it? Of course it can.

Oldnuke on May 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

No joke. The guy is way hit or miss, and mostly miss from my perspective. His best movies are when he’s restrained a bit, but now he’s paired with Galifianakis?

No thanks.