Santorum formally endorses Romney

posted at 8:41 am on May 8, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, the GOP took another step towards unifying behind its presumptive nominee for President, Mitt Romney.  Rick Santorum, who emerged late in the cycle to become Romney’s toughest competitor, formally endorsed him as the nominee in an e-mail sent out to supporters:

Rick Santorum has officially endorsed Mitt Romney, and notified his supporters in an email sent Monday night.

In the email, the former presidential candidate cited his Friday meeting with Romney in his hometown of Pittsburgh as a reason he finally got behind the presumptive GOP nominee.

“On Friday, Governor Romney came to Pittsburgh for an over-hour long one-on-one meeting,” Santorum said in the email. “The conversation was candid, collegial and focused on the issues that you helped me give voice to during our campaign; because I believe they are essential ingredients to not only winning this fall, but turning our country around.” …

Santorum said that in the meeting he “felt a deep responsibility to assess Governor Romney’s commitment to addressing the issues most important to conservatives, as well his commitment to ensuring our appropriate representation in a Romney administration.’

He said he was “impressed” with the presumptive GOP nominee’s “deep understanding of this connection and his commitment to economic policies that preserve and strengthen families.”

Santorum is scheduled to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno this evening, and ABC’s Shushannah Walshe says that Santorum was expected to make a commitment at that time.  Santorum apparently decided to announce the endorsement as soon as he made the decision.  That may take a little of the drama out of tonight’s appearance, but it also may draw more interest as people tune in to hear Santorum’s explanation of the endorsement.  Leno will no doubt tease Santorum about his campaign attacks on Romney as the worst Republican to put up against Obama in the fall, and Santorum’s responses will make some news, undoubtedly.

What does this mean for the race?  First, the ad cutters at Team Obama will be busy this week with a new project, but that was going to happen anyway.  Romney should solidify his support among the social-conservative base of the party, and perhaps even get a little more enthusiasm from it.  It sounds as if Santorum could become a surrogate for Romney among the constituencies where Santorum’s message resonated, which would help Romney most in the Rust Belt states where the presidency could be won or lost.  The relative rapidity of the endorsement — last Friday was only their first meeting since Santorum’s withdrawal — puts an end to stories of Republican disunity far ahead of the convention.

It’s hardly a game changer, but it resolves a few open issues for Team Romney well ahead of schedule, and that is important for both fundraising and focus.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Atty. Gen promise?

50sGuy on May 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Very brave, Rick. Very brave.

*rolling eyes*

SouthernGent on May 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’ll take the worst Republican over the current marxist. Just give him a good conservative Congress.

rbj on May 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

The lib sites are making a big deal he chose the dark of night at 11 pm to do it. Oh well, made no difference to me if he did or didn’t.

Marcus on May 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Who is this Rick Santorum guy? Never heard of him.

BJ* on May 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Fundraising? I might kick in a few bucks to help retire Santorum’s debt, but no soup for you, Romney. Forcing myself to vote for you (without throwing up) in November is really more than you have a right to expect.

Extrafishy on May 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I want to see Santorum come out swinging for Romney in a big way.

Eventually I’d like to see Newt and Santorum on stage and side-by-side with Mitt in a strong show of unity. We need to make this ALL about Obama’s disastrous record and the need to replace him in November.

Come on, Rick! You know I’ve always been a big fan of yours. It is time for you to step up to the plate and fight for your country. Be the patriot and principled warrior I know you are!

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Marcus, morning was cracking on him as well on the timing

cmsinaz on May 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

…you want people to throw up on their monitor’s don’t you…and get some chunks in between the keys on the keyboard?

KOOLAID2 on May 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Why would Santorum endorse such a weak candidate?

Yours,

Allahpundit

fossten on May 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I want to see Santorum come out swinging for Romney in a big way.

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

When is Palin gonna officially endorse Mittens? I assume she’s finally accepted that Newt won’t be the nominee.

Doughboy on May 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

thanks for the morning laugh, fishy.

renalin on May 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Fine and dandy, and good to see.

But how about this Gary Johnson guy, running on the libertarian ticket? Another Ross Perot spoiler in the making?

iurockhead on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

If he can help elect Romney, good. Santorum’s still a weenie.

GeorgieGirl9 on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Doughboy on May 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Sarah said she would support mittens 100%, once he became the nominee.

but wait, i thought she didn’t matter anymore. LOL

renalin on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Yeah, you’ve always been a big fan of Santorum. /

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Not surprising. Of course the party is going to put up a united front to defeat Obummer.

Philly on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Personally, I have no idea what people saw in Santorum. His endorsement was pathetic, and he and Newt should be kept far away from the convention. Yep, here’s the guy Ed and Tina backed…LOL.

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Sarah said she would support mittens 100%, once he became the nominee.

but wait, i thought she didn’t matter anymore. LOL

renalin on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

She doesn’t matter that much… I think Doughboy was trying to be cute…

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

WTF????

You are a Santorum hatin’ nutball to rival csdeven and you blatantly claim other wise?

We ain’t liberals, you cannot etch-a-sketch to here.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Doughboy on May 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Sarah said she would support mittens 100%, once he became the nominee.

but wait, i thought she didn’t matter anymore. LOL

renalin on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I wonder if the Mitt supporters still blame Palin for supposedly helping to make the primary even more bruising (to Mitt) than it should have been.

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

She doesn’t matter that much… I think Doughboy was trying to be cute…

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Tell that to Dick Lugar…LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

What does this mean for the race? First, the ad cutters at Team Obama will be busy this week with a new project

Dude, I’m worried.

- Allahpundit

DRayRaven on May 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Kilmeade said the meeting went badly. Shocka!

Philly on May 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Well I’m a Mitt supporter and I blame Palin for screwing over her supporters who waited, and waited, and waited for her to do something. As it turned out, I actaully blame Palin for helping Romney.

rhombus on May 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I’m voting for Santorum today in my state’s primary.

Romney doesn’t need my vote, and Santorum comes closest to representing what I want in a President. Not perfect by any means, but a lot closer than Mitt “my views are progressive” Romney.

ITguy on May 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Isn’t Newt already scheduled to appear with Romney? And it would be nice to see Santorum, Perry and Cain to join in.

lynncgb on May 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

rhombus on May 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Give me a few seconds to untwist those thoughts in my head.

It still doesn’t make any sense at all.

Some people will blame Palin for anything within reach at any given moment.

Here we go again.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM

And we know it’s only a matter of time before Romney endorses Obama.

Speaking of liberals, AllahPundit is one of us. I know a lib when i see one and yes he is one of us.

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Do you want all Conservatives to stay away from the convention? You sound like you’re still begging Conservatives to stay home in November too. Romney has such great supporters.

They’re his secret weapon.

hawkdriver on May 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

rhombus on May 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

She is doing something…

Taking out RINOS, one at a time. Aka, Dick Lugar.

PS, her supporters don’t give a crap what you think..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

And we know it’s only a matter of time before Romney endorses Obama.

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Uh, put down the glass pipe and slowly back away.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Uh, put down the glass pipe and slowly back away.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

You are a few years too late with that warning. The damage has been done.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

yet out from your mom’s basement you came, to post your nonsense. hahaha.

renalin on May 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I’m listening to Mark Levin from last night, and he just said this:

“Barack Obama has more in common with the new Socialist President of France than any of the Founding Fathers of this country.”

Nailed it, as usual.

This is why Romney will get my vote, not so much anything he himself has done or said so far.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Awesome. We need all Republicans, Conservatives, Independent leaners, and anti socialists on board to beat Obama.

magicbeans on May 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

They’re his secret weapon.

hawkdriver on May 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Don’t be an ass. Yes, I want conservatives to speak at the convention. Maybe Santorum and Newt could look to Michele Bachmann, who has shown this week how to have class in politics. Rick and Newt are whiners and have zero class.

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Excellent, spot on article up in the HA headlines:

I don’t know but trashing the conservatives to butch up Romney isn’t flying too well or sitting too well with a lot of people. Yeah, the Romnulan cheerleaders on here are rabid to buffer up Romney’s credentials. But there are also many of us on here interested in facts and the truth. So when the democrats point out: “the emperor’s not wearing any clothes”, we won’t sit there with egg on our faces. It’s rich, though, how all the conservative trash-mouths on here now expect and demand the Palin, Santorum, Gingrich, etc. endorsements to legitimize their guy. Of course, we conservatives will get blamed yet again when this putz loses. Depressing and doesn’t bode well this time around.

mozalf on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Who? Why does it matter that Romney gets the endorsement of a disgraced former Senator who was entangled up in corruption charges at the end of his term in office?

ArkyDore on May 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Obamney 2012

dom89031 on May 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

You mean the Rust Belt states in which Romney defeated Santorum?

cicerone on May 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Don’t be an ass. rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ironic

hawkdriver on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Rick and Newt are whiners and have zero class.

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Class is in the eye of the beholder it seems, because I thought Mitt going almost exclusively negative against both of them was pretty damn far from classy in the primaries.

Where were his great ideas, his inspiration to show he’s the best guy?

All he did is exactly what Obama is already doing to him.

The Other Guy is soooo baaad, never mind me look how awful he is!

This is one reason why this conservative is not excited about Romney at all. I’m more excited about getting rid of Obama, that is my motivation. Mitt hasn’t done jack squat to get me voting for him, as opposed to against Obama.

That is the difference between just showing up to vote, and engaging in volunteer support because you believe in a candidate’s vision.

Romney hasn’t given me anything to get excited about.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Fine and dandy, and good to see.

iurockhead on May 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Gary Johnson is a pro-abortion libertine. He’s going to pull almost exclusively from “send them a message” libertarians who never vote GOP in any cycle and disgruntled left libertines who were not likely to vote for any Republican, even Romney. Ron Paul by contrast actually would have pulled somewhat from Romney’s base.

All we really need to do is Draft Nader and Romney has this in the bag.

BKennedy on May 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM

bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Wow, who knew you had a sense of humor?

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM

All we really need to do is Draft Nader and Romney has this in the bag.

BKennedy on May 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Nader is a has been, a bad joke.

Wouldn’t make any difference anywhere.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Tell that to Dick Lugar…LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I don’t doubt that she has some pull among the masses but she’s marginalized herself by first quitting her post in Alaska and then dragging her feet deciding whether she wanted to run for POTUS.

I’m glad she didn’t run because it would have been mayhem in the election. You think what they did to her a few years ago was tough, her running as POTUS would have been truly disastrous for the GOP.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You’re saying Santorum is a whiner and has no class in a thread about him endorsing Romney. I could agree with this assessment of Newt but how does Santorum keep getting painted with this brush?

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

rbj on May 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Well, there you go… lol

And…

Here we go again.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Palin continues to haunt the weak. :-)

Fallon on May 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Romney hasn’t given me anything to get excited about.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

He will replace 0bama.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

He will replace 0bama.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

You sure about that?

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Mittwits continue with their stale talking points…LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

You sure about that?

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Probably, but if that doesn’t get you excited, nothing will.

And it would be a waste of time for you to contribute further.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Santorum’s voice with working folks is pro union. It doesn’t jive with our parties right to work efforts. So he had success with them, but now he has to convince them that he is for both.

Fleuries on May 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Mittwits continue with their stale talking points…LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Did I call you names? All you can do in response is call me a mittwit and call what I said stale talking points?

Really?! I point out the facts of her political “life” and all you can do is call me a Mittwit? You are some serious debater you know that? LOL!

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Mittwits continue with their stale talking points…LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The nasty, offensive, and reprehensible things that the bloggers on here have said about Santorum, Palin, et al. yet now they’re supposed to do the “patriotic” and honorable thing and support Romney. It’s as if these posts have been taken over by democrats! Nothing like “unifying” the party by attacking and insulting our own. What is that old saying about the “elephant never forgets…” Obama must go but there are limits, and you can cover the republican pig with a ton of lipstick. But guess what it still is?…

mozalf on May 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Heck, it might have wound up being disastrous for Obama, because unlike many other Republicans I’ve been hearing from in the news lately, she has the guts and clarity to call out this fraud of a man we have as a President out for what he really is.

I understand your skepticism, honestly I do, but still to this day when you talk about who gets people fired up, ready to hit the bricks for them, she has that quality about her. I think she will for some time to come as well. Sarah Palin has a lot more good to do for America in the years ahead.

Let me also remind anyone reading this, taking a dump on Sarah Palin is definitely not the way you get the Tea Party movement to unite behind a Romney 2012 campaign.

See my above comments.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

For someone you think is marginalized, you spend a lot of time talking about Palin.

What’s up with that? LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

And it would be a waste of time for you to contribute further.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Oh man, now I’m going to really get involved for Mitt!!!!!

THANKS!!!

ROMNEY 2012

THE OTHER GUY SUCKS

Let’s go get ‘em!

lol

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

lol

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

The problem with that is, only ABR nutballs are laughing with you.

Everybody else is laughing at you.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Newt, Santorum, Perry, and Cain be alongside Romney. None of them areoutsiders in the party and know they need the party’s support for the future and/or hope to get a job in the Romnay admin. As for Ron Paul, who knows, he might endorse Romney to pacify the party for Rand’s sake.
Gary Johnson is no Ross Perot. He doesn’t have the personality, the message, or the money to carry out a national campaign. And if he does help Obama win, he and the Libertarian Party are dead to lots of people. At this stage in politics attempting a national third party candidate is only going to help the wrong candidates. These third parties should be working on the local and state and even the Congressional level first.

Deanna on May 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I am not particularly excited about Rick Santorum but whatever helps to kick the dog-eater out of the White House. If he works hard to flip some critical Rust Belt states – and one positive trait St. Scrotum displays in spades is that he’s a hard-working one – I could see a cabinet appointment for him. Not the Atty Gen of course, that’s reserved for Christie or (one can dream) Giuliani, but how would a HHS Secretary look?

Archivarix on May 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It sounds as if Santorum could become a surrogate for Romney…The relative rapidity of the endorsement — last Friday was only their first meeting since Santorum’s withdrawal — puts an end to stories of Republican disunity far ahead of the convention.

It seems to me that this endorsement was somewhat less than full-throated. The manner in which it was rolled out seemed designed for minimum impact. The wording was unenthusiastic. I just don’t think Santorum is fully on board, and I don’t think he intends to be. He’s going to do the least he possibly can without diminishing his prospects. Or so it seems to me.

And this “rapidity of the endorsement” business is just laughable. He dropped out of the race a month ago. That’s when the clock starts ticking. Not when they have their first meeting.

rogaineguy on May 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

ROMNEY 2012

THE OTHER GUY SUCKS

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

So you agree that the other guy sucks? Welcome to HotAir, Larry Sinclair!

Archivarix on May 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The problem with that is, only ABR nutballs are laughing with you.

Everybody else is laughing at you.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Oh, is that right?

Let’s stop goofing around for a moment and get serious, shall we?

It is up to Mitt Romney to sell me on his vision for the Republican Party and our country. He has yet to do this with any measure of effectiveness, and I am by far not the only one.

This is somehow my fault? I don’t think so.

He has time to accomplish this task, but I haven’t seen it happening as of yet, and every indication is he will now pivot from destroying anyone to his right with millions in personal attack ads to pandering to wishy washy independents ala John Sidney McCain.

Again, this is my fault, as a Tea Party person?

I don’t think so.

It is up to him to get me excited about HIS campaign, but I have a feeling now he has the nomination wrapped up I have just been dropped like a hot potato.

We’ll see how it plays out, but being a jerk to skeptical conservatives is not a good strategy.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

rubberneck on May 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Rick supporters and Newt supporters clearly have more class than a number of Mitt supporters, who seem to be a particularly unforgiving lot. The primary is all but over, and they want us to get behind their candidate, but they still can’t help spitting on the other candidates. What a bunch of unsportsmanlike brats. Every time one of them mouths off like this, I resent a little more the thought of helping them get their half-assed candidate into the White House.

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What’s up with that? LOL

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I haven’t spoken very much about her at all idesign… You must have me mixed up with someone else, all I stated was what I know about her.

I remember when she was selected by McCain and I remember how excited I was for her and for the ticket as I saw how bland McCain turned out to be. Then I saw how she was eviscerated by the press and then after the election was over I saw her commit seppuku by quitting as the Governor of Alaska.

I don’t like quitters, and no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, her excuse was lame.

Then she drug her feet in the run up to the primaries in this election cycle and left everyone dangling in the wind, and now she wants to play kingmaker…

She’s just lame, I’m sorry. She lost all credibility with me.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Who is Rick Santorum?

Falz on May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

And we know it’s only a matter of time before Romney endorses Obama.
Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Heh. Who knew the guy actually has a sense of humor?

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Falz on May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Nobody.

rogaineguy on May 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

So you agree that the other guy sucks? Welcome to HotAir, Larry Sinclair!

Archivarix on May 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’ve been around here for a long time, and you obviously don’t know me at all. Whatever.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM

[snip]

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Ahem, the name’s “0bama”

Capital ZERO-B-A-M-A.

Learn how to spell, fool!

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

She’s just lame, I’m sorry. She lost all credibility with me.
SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

THAT’s the real issue, supposed defenders so easily swayed by the Liberal narrative instead of her record and qualifications.

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Maobama is kinda catchy too.

If the shoe fits……

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

She’s just lame, I’m sorry. She lost all credibility with me.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

That how I feel about Romney…LOL

I support Palin more than ever..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

That is pretty, er, LAME, isn’t it?

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Let’s stop goofing around for a moment and get serious, shall we?

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Fine, make yourself a balance sheet and see which candidate would be a better fit for you.

Demanding a candidate change to get your vote certainly isn’t serious.

Your constant whining about Romney grows tiresome.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

SauerKraut537 was never a defender of Sarah Palin, if it says it was, it’s lying..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I wasn’t swayed by the LSM narrative Cleo. I was swayed by Palin’s own actions.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

You don’t know squat about me idesign. I used to defend her actions until her actions became indefensible.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Demanding a candidate change to get your vote certainly isn’t serious.

Your constant whining about Romney grows tiresome.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yes, you’re right. Demanding that a progressive from the Northeast change into a conservative just to get our votes is ridiculous. Of course, people like crosspatch seem to be falling for it anyway.

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I’ve long been puzzled by the notion that simply stepping down from an elected position was in and of itself “indefensible.”

I guess Nixon’s crime wasn’t the coverup; it was the resignation. /

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh, I have little doubt of that, but it surprised me how many otherwise conservative voters I know who fell for that narrative that she was “unelectable”.

I can’t help but imagine it was factored into her decision. At least it would have with me if I was contemplating running for public office.

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I wasn’t swayed by the LSM narrative Cleo. I was swayed by Palin’s own actions.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

1. That she resigned as Governer, rather than go bankrupt by frivolous law suits and cost the State of Alaska millions of dollars.

2. That she didn’t run for President…

Grow up Sparky..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Demanding a candidate change to get your vote certainly isn’t serious.

Your constant whining about Romney grows tiresome.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I have already said in this thread that Romney will be getting my vote, did you miss that?

The problem is, it is an anti-Obama vote, not a pro-Romney vote.

This is Mitt Romney’s problem with many conservatives, not just me.

I have serious concerns about Romney given his past record.

I am not excited about him, or the direction he is likely to take the GOP and America in the future assuming he is able to defeat Obama, which I hope he can.

If you think these things amount to “whining”, rather than an honestly held sincere opinion, then there is something wrong with you, not me.

I know exactly where I stand, and why.

I intend to support people down ballot who are much closer to my beliefs than he is, and hope those people can mount a resistance to some of the less conservative instincts he may follow when President, similar to GWBush with immigration, and Harriet Myers.

I find it interesting that everyone should shut up and fall in line, conscience be damned. I don’t play like that. I will speak my mind, because there are millions of Americans who are right where I am and we deserve to be heard in the national debate.

So, in short, you can take your suggestion and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

I find your whiny comments to be quite tiresome, and frankly stupid.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Funny how you accuse others for falling for things when you write pap like that.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I cannot stand Santorum. His ego is as big as Obama’s.

Is he married? If so, I feel so sorry for his wife. Go away, Santorum.

bridgetown on May 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Prediction:

Santorum will play a bigger surrogate role in the campaign than Gingrich will, and Santorum will play a bigger role in the Romney Administration than Gingrich will.

If I were advising President Romney, I’d tell him to make Gingrich an Ambassador to some far away nation with an unreliable internet connection.

That is all.

dczombie on May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I find your whiny comments to be quite tiresome, and frankly stupid.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Sure sweetie, stick with that.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Again, this is my fault, as a Tea Party person?

I don’t think so.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Don’t waste your breath (type) – it’s do as they say, not as they do. They excel at trashing the conservative candidates especially when we point out Romney’s weaknesses, etc. It’s a successful democrat strategy deflecting focus and instead slandering the opposition. However, there are too many principled people on here that are conservatives and these sleazy tactics don’t work with us. So these supposed Romney supporters are either very poor and unprofessional politiks or are very clever, strategic, but frustrated democrat plants. I just don’t see how this “our guy is not as bad as the other guy” strategy is supposed to work when there’s not much more positive we can say about our candidate.

mozalf on May 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I guess Nixon’s crime wasn’t the coverup; it was the resignation. /

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The problem with her exit was that SHE bowed to the pressure being brought to bear against her and then gave us all a lame excuse about trying to save us all a few bucks in legal fees, etc… I don’t have a problem with people stepping down if that’s what they NEED to do, but she didn’t NEED to step down. She bowed to the pressure being put in play against her… She was, and is, a quitter.

And now she wants to play kingmaker… That’s not how it works in my book.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Rick Santorum’s got that “take one for the team” thing down pat.

cavalier973 on May 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I wasn’t swayed by the LSM narrative Cleo. I was swayed by Palin’s own actions.
SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I wish I had the time, Sauer but have to get to work but I’d love to hear the calculus you use to figure that one action, including her reasonable explanation for it, outweighs the record and qualifications she brought to the table, especially considering who the alternative is and the machine behind him.

Cleombrotus on May 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Bullshit idesign… She has millions supporting her who would willingly pay her legal fees… People willing to donate to her cause…

Try a different shade of lipstick on that pig, moron isn’t a very becoming color.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Sure sweetie, stick with that.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Brilliant.

You have offered absolutely nothing in response, other than shut up and do as you are told.

Do you not understand this situation is a problem for Romney?

He needs to roll out some serious solutions to solve our national problems, and take them to the country with passion and conviction.

Bring the Independents to you, don’t go pandering to the middle with mushy nonsense. Explain what will work for America’s future and why.

Get people like me to come around with a real substantive fiscal reform program, not this Etch-a-Sketch nonsense his senior adviser was talking about recently.

I want him to beat Obama like a drum, I want to be inspired to vote for his ideas. That is up to him to make this happen.

By all means, respond with another three word nothing post, it is all you seem capable of saying, sweetie.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Somewhere the Romney campaign is hoping this story goes away very, very quickly. Santorum drives away the independents.

inthemiddle on May 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

You have written nothing deserving a more thought out response. You claim you will vote for Romney yet continue to whine about how bad he is. Basic concern troll saccharine.

I’m cool with that. It says more about you than any response anybody could give.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM