Santorum formally endorses Romney

posted at 8:41 am on May 8, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, the GOP took another step towards unifying behind its presumptive nominee for President, Mitt Romney.  Rick Santorum, who emerged late in the cycle to become Romney’s toughest competitor, formally endorsed him as the nominee in an e-mail sent out to supporters:

Rick Santorum has officially endorsed Mitt Romney, and notified his supporters in an email sent Monday night.

In the email, the former presidential candidate cited his Friday meeting with Romney in his hometown of Pittsburgh as a reason he finally got behind the presumptive GOP nominee.

“On Friday, Governor Romney came to Pittsburgh for an over-hour long one-on-one meeting,” Santorum said in the email. “The conversation was candid, collegial and focused on the issues that you helped me give voice to during our campaign; because I believe they are essential ingredients to not only winning this fall, but turning our country around.” …

Santorum said that in the meeting he “felt a deep responsibility to assess Governor Romney’s commitment to addressing the issues most important to conservatives, as well his commitment to ensuring our appropriate representation in a Romney administration.’

He said he was “impressed” with the presumptive GOP nominee’s “deep understanding of this connection and his commitment to economic policies that preserve and strengthen families.”

Santorum is scheduled to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno this evening, and ABC’s Shushannah Walshe says that Santorum was expected to make a commitment at that time.  Santorum apparently decided to announce the endorsement as soon as he made the decision.  That may take a little of the drama out of tonight’s appearance, but it also may draw more interest as people tune in to hear Santorum’s explanation of the endorsement.  Leno will no doubt tease Santorum about his campaign attacks on Romney as the worst Republican to put up against Obama in the fall, and Santorum’s responses will make some news, undoubtedly.

What does this mean for the race?  First, the ad cutters at Team Obama will be busy this week with a new project, but that was going to happen anyway.  Romney should solidify his support among the social-conservative base of the party, and perhaps even get a little more enthusiasm from it.  It sounds as if Santorum could become a surrogate for Romney among the constituencies where Santorum’s message resonated, which would help Romney most in the Rust Belt states where the presidency could be won or lost.  The relative rapidity of the endorsement — last Friday was only their first meeting since Santorum’s withdrawal — puts an end to stories of Republican disunity far ahead of the convention.

It’s hardly a game changer, but it resolves a few open issues for Team Romney well ahead of schedule, and that is important for both fundraising and focus.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Try a different shade of lipstick on that pig, moron isn’t a very becoming color.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Moron must be your middle name…LOL

Her defense fund was found to be illegal.

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Still nothing.

Now I’m a “concern troll”, a plant from the libs?

Too funny.

Why won’t you address the substance of what I’m saying here, instead of empty snarky bullsh1t nothing?

I guess it’s all you have.

Dismissing these concerns held by millions of voting Americans about our new standard bearer in the most important election in the last 60 years as “whining” is exceedingly lazy, ignorant and foolish on your part.

You don’t seem to want to talk about any of this, just to call me names based on nothing over and over again.

What that says about you, is not that interesting to me.

In fact, you aren’t that interesting at all.

I’m wasting words on a closed mind.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Moron must be your middle name…LOL

Her defense fund was found to be illegal.

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

LOL! So she had an illegal defense fund? Then start again with a LEGAL one!!!

Why did she start an illegal defense fund and whose fault is that?

I’M the moron? SHE looks like the moron for not doing it correctly and within the law!

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

LOL! So she had an illegal defense fund? Then start again with a LEGAL one!!!

Why did she start an illegal defense fund and whose fault is that?

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You’ve only indicted her MORE in my mind as a non serious candidate and non-kingmaker.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You really don’t know what you are talking about.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

In fact, you aren’t that interesting at all.

I’m wasting words on a closed mind.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Yet, you continue to do so.

Interesting that I am the one with a closed mind since all I have done is point out your petulant Romney bashing.

I am kind of disappointed that that you haven’t called me a Romney fluffin’ nutball. But that would have been too perfect.

You noobs…

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Yet, you continue to do so.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Not anymore.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Not anymore.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Then what was that? Except for the continuation of what you have been threatening since the previous page.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM

You really don’t know what you are talking about.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

So you tell me I don’t know what i’m talking about but don’t offer up HOW I’m wrong… I get it. You just want to pr1ck me and run away…

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You must be new in these parts.

This discussion has been had many, many times already.

Some people refuse to take facts into account.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This discussion has been had many, many times already.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

And you nutballs always lose, then you try it again.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You’re a real charmer.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Have a nice day folks.

I’m out.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You must be new in these parts.

This discussion has been had many, many times already.

Some people refuse to take facts into account.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Not new at all. I’ve watched and read countless threads where Palin supporters have tried to characterize Palin’s actions as saintly and never wrong.

Palin NEVER does wrong in most Palin supporters eyes. She’s perfect, and the facts that supporters put forward to support her are 100% true and correct…

Palin isn’t a saint, and she’s far from perfect, get over it.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

You’re a real charmer.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Why yes, I am.

Thank you for figuring it out.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

We’ll see how it plays out, but being a jerk to skeptical conservatives is not a good strategy.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

No, it isn’t.

The truth is beginning to come out that Romney is not quite as inevitable as he is cracked up to be. The Tampa convention might not be a coronation after all.

The GOPe is afraid….

Very afraid….

Especially of the many things Gov. Palin could do not just now in 2012, but beyond.

Green eyed Lady on May 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

BLATANT THREAD HIJACK ATTEMPT:

Raz has Romney up over Obama 49% to 44% in the DT:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Mitt Romney earning 49% of the vote and President Obama attracting 44% support. Three percent (3%) would vote for a third party candidate, while another three percent (3%) are undecided.

..further bulletins as BellicoseEd awakens from crack coma in 5..4..3..2..

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The Tampa convention might not be a coronation after all.

The GOPe is afraid….

Very afraid….

Green eyed Lady on May 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Um, you betcha’?

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Eventually I’d like to see Newt and Santorum on stage and side-by-side with Mitt in a strong show of unity. We need to make this ALL about Obama’s disastrous record and the need to replace him in November. bluegill on May 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Wow. I’ve found something about which I can agree with you. You could have stopped here, though. Just sayin’.

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Prediction:

Santorum will play a bigger surrogate role in the campaign than Gingrich will, and Santorum will play a bigger role in the Romney Administration than Gingrich will.

If I were advising President Romney, I’d tell him to make Gingrich an Ambassador to some far away nation with an unreliable internet connection.

That is all.

dczombie on May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Gingrich for ambassador to the moon!

BKennedy on May 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

You could have stopped here, though. Just sayin’.

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Its bluegills, you were expecting better?

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Brian, I really believe that most of this is just hatred toward conservatives.

Team Romney and his surrogates just hate conservative tea party patriots. It’s really that simple.

Keep digging my friend!

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

And this “rapidity of the endorsement” business is just laughable. He dropped out of the race a month ago. That’s when the clock starts ticking. Not when they have their first meeting.

rogaineguy on May 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

At least he did it before the Obama campaign could use video of his anti-Romney rhetoric (or bilge, if you prefer) in an ad against Romney.

Oh, wait.

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Keep digging my friend!

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Right, because Santorum just loved the TEAparty, right?

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Brian, I really believe that most of this is just hatred toward conservatives.

Keep digging my friend!

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

And what’s laughable is how the democrats are trying to paint Romney as some kind of die-hard conservative. He’s not a conservative, never was, and never will be! Just let him run as what he is…whatever that is on whatever day… and he’ll be fine…

mozalf on May 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Santorum endorsed Mitt?
’bout time.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

My favorite part of the endorsement?

This,

my My I I
I
I
I me

Sounds eerily familiar.

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

..further bulletins as BellicoseEd awakens from crack coma in 5..4..3..2..

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The score matches exactly Mitt’s best showing set back on April 24th. This is the third time in this poll that Mitt has lead Obama by 5 ppts, his best lead over the president. Obama, by contrast, has never led Romney in this poll by more than three. He led by three only once. That was on May 1st at the height of his Osama Ben Laden bounce. That bounce is all dissipated now.

BellicoseEd hardest hit.

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Its bluegills, you were expecting better?

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Not really. It’s a long step for bg to say (s)he wants Santy and Gingrich up on the stage at all, IMO. I don’t expect the pastry to take that step, however. ;-)

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Palin isn’t a saint, and she’s far from perfect, get over it.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

You’re such an expert on all things Palin, but you never knew she had set up a defense fund…LOL

You’re a moron..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Santorum is a joke. The guy cared more about getting Lindsay Lohan’s picture and laughing at Obama’s jokes the other night. If this is such a critical election, why did he wait? Does anyone believe he had a “conversation” with Romney and is now convinced? Please. He is a tool. Nothing more than a few Obama campaign ads.

Rusty Allen on May 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I don’t expect the pastry to take that step, however. ;-)

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I give that one more credit. She has crawled back from the edge (yes, I know it isn’t the first time, and it doesn’t last).

She is smarter than the total nuballs though and what she does when Palin gets assimilated will tell the tale.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM</blockquote

What is your greatest personnel failing billy?

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

BellicoseEd hardest hit.

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

..he’s strangely silent on this matter, Gunlock. Oh, I know! He’s off scouring the back pages of Gallup, PPP, QP, and Raz looking for old polls he can screen scrape and barf all over this thread.

His (and other’s) mantra about polls not meaning anything at this juncture is probably true, but it is significant that Romney — after one of the longer and more vicious series of primaries and debates with three contentious candidates — can be within leading or within the MOE versus a SCOAMF POTUS who rarely polls above 50%.

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Three-Way Race: Romney 44%, Obama 39%, Ron Paul 13%

Extra bonus is these numbers:

3/4 of Paul supporters will stick with him in the general. Of the remaining 3% (of the 13%), I bet they go for Romney 4-to-1. That’s good for an extra point on Mitt’s lead – to give us Romney 46%, 0bama 40%.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Its the trend, and sample demographics, that you want to pay attention to in these early polls.

After Labor day, the numbers themselves will start to matter.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

[snip].

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

If Romney can keep up his disciplined campaign, he will win. For the first time in a long time, I have optimism that we can see the back side of Soetoro.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Do NOT underestimate the “looks-ism” of the undereducated, distracted voter. Romney looks like a president. Much more than McCain.

The trivially minded will look at him… hmmm… looks like a president, sounds assertive, slicing and dicing 0bama, businessman….

Romney, all around, is about as palatable candidate for the masses as we could have hoped for, when it comes to all-around risk/reward.

Palin, my first choice, would have been higher reward, but higher risk given the seditious media.

Now I just want Romney to take 0bama apart and sell his parts to foreign corporations.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I have optimism that we can see the back side of Soetoro.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Me too. Give Michelle her wish and let her walk out the door. Never to return.

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Exporting his ears may require renting a couple C-17s.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Like I said in the headlines: Establishment hack endorses establishment hack. Next up, dog bites man.

Dante on May 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Exporting his ego may require pulling a Saturn V out of the Smithsonian.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Surprisingly, I can’t argue with you on this. Her most recent posts have actually had me nodding in agreement, though she and I will have nothing to do with each other. ;-)

As you say, we’ll see how she reacts to Palin’s assimilation.

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Not here.

mr_west on May 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Not here.

mr_west on May 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

There’s an old saying: “Any port in a storm.”

America is in that situation right now.

If aliens invaded Earth, jihadis and Christians would temporarily forget their differences.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Dante on May 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It would all be worthless without the birth certificates. You know that.

though she and I will have nothing to do with each other. ;-)

totherightofthem on May 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Probably better that way. I usually let her have plenty of rope. She seldom chokes herself…but when she does…

cozmo on May 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I’ll tell you what would cause a national meltdown as an October surprise:

Arpaio’s crew’s digging up the records at Occidental showing he got a foreign-student scholarship and signed a paper saying he was a foreigner, and the Occidental record keepers signing sworn statements that the papers are legit.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

In the interest of Party Unity, go have a look at Iowahawk’s graphical send up of The Life of Julia.

It is hilarious, as always.

That man is a national treasure.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

As well, a copy of Soetoro’s transcripts showing that his core curriculum consisted of:

Communism 101: Why it’s right for America.
African studies 102: Why white men are devils
Socialism 200: Their money is OUR money
Communications 340: The genius of Goebbels
Russian studies 400: Stalin as a model for the future
Political Science 520: The Mussolini model- PRACTICUM
Psychology 410: How to fool people
Religious Studies 550: The Messianic model in politics
American History 666: Amerikkka sux

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Santorum’s endorsement helps Obama.

Way to go, Mittens.

Dave Rywall on May 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

You’re a moron..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I never claimed to be an expert on all things Palin… You’re the moron for assuming I didn’t know that she had a defense fund, but I thank you for reminding me that it was illegal though.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

too funny :-)..and sadly probably not too far from the truth :-(…

jimver on May 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

This is somehow my fault? I don’t think so.

Brian1972 on May 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

See, that’s your problem right there.

John the Libertarian on May 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Late to class, Mr. Santorum. Always late:

A diller, a dollar, a ten o’clock scholar.
What makes you come so soon?
You used to come at ten o’clock;
Now you come at noon.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

rogaineguy on May 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Historically, the way this works is the guy who WINS approaches his opponents when they drop out. Romney failed to do this. In this election, the attacks against his opponents were so personal and burned so many bridges, as the winner, it was/is totally up to him to start rebuilding those bridges.

His supporters? Obviously, they’re still under the dilerious delusion that calling people names and belittling and demeaning other Republicans is the best way evah to get the vote out. I’d still be afraid to meet some of these folks in a dark alley.

Portia46 on May 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

She has millions supporting her who would willingly pay her legal fees… People willing to donate to her cause…

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Yep, you’re a moron..:)

idesign on May 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

This is an important conservative endorsement, and, it is one of the few endorsements, thus far, that actually lends credibility to Romney. HOWEVER – Sarah Palin’s endorsement is still the most important and valuable that any Republican can get – IF (BIG IF) Romney can convince Palin to endorse him, and not just support him as the nominee, then he will really have achieved something. Whether or not Romney can do anything to convince Sarah to endorse him is unclear, but if he wants to grow enthusiasm and win REALLY BIG, he better start talking to her. Palin’s endorsement is solid gold.

Pork-Chop on May 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Portia46 on May 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Funny that you didn’t mention that when Romney dropped out in 2008, he immediately gave his support to McCain.

Far more class than some dropouts this cycle.

Gunlock Bill on May 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

LOL@idesign!!! Only a moron would think that proves me a moron!!! Lmfao

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

LOL@idesign!!! Only a moron would think that proves me a moron!!! Lmfao

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM

..forgive me SauerKraut, I like your stuff, but I feel a daddy on a long car trip with my two kids quarreling in the back seat. Here’s the obligatory Pee Wee Herman for you both!

Meant paternally, of course!

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Good, Santorum’s in…now Romney’s got a shot at Louisiana and Alabama.

jan3 on May 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I could care less who Santorum (or any pol) endorses. Does Santorum’s endorsement actually move anyone to vote for Romney who wouldn’t have otherwise done so?

gravityman on May 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM

… I don’t have a problem with people stepping down if that’s what they NEED to do, but she didn’t NEED to step down.

SauerKraut537 on May 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Late to the thread (busy day).

But how was that conclusion arrived at?

listens2glenn on May 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

WAIT! Since when is sending out an e-mail being ‘formal’?

This sounds more like Santorum assigning the task to an underling so he wouldn’t lose his lunch. LOL!

DannoJyd on May 9, 2012 at 6:36 AM