Gallup: Obama leads Romney on likability by … 29 points

posted at 6:41 pm on May 8, 2012 by Allahpundit

There are lots of polls I don’t worry about but I do worry about this one. Likability won’t decide the election but when you like someone you’re apt to give them the benefit of a doubt they don’t always deserve. I’ve always thought, for instance, that that’s a contributing factor in why huge swaths of the public still blame Bush for the economy even now. Someone who’s personally sympathetic to O will find it easier to identify with his predicament circa 2009 than someone who doesn’t like him. If unemployment drops to, say, 7.8 percent by November, is that good enough for an incumbent win? For an unlikable incumbent, maybe not. For Obama, looking at this kind of spread, who knows?

The independent numbers are what they are. The good news, obviously, is that Romney leads by three points overall on the important metric of who can manage the government most effectively — but I’m not sure how good it is. The Eeyore on my shoulder is whispering that that number shouldn’t be that close given O’s record on debt and the heavy, heavy connotations of leviathan government carried by the Obama brand. But then, most low-information voters don’t really know Romney yet, which means they haven’t been exposed much yet to his core campaign message of managerial competence. If he’s already ahead on this metric, it’s probably more a reflection of “yeah, Obama’s a screw-up” sentiment among the public than any strong appreciation for Romney. And that is good news since it means there’s room for Mitt’s numbers to grow as people become more familiar with his strengths.

As for polls that I don’t worry about, here’s a brand new one from Reuters that puts Obama up seven on Romney nationally — thanks chiefly to a sample with a 12-point Democratic tilt (excluding leaners). Elections guru Jay Cost of the Weekly Standard had a laugh over it on Twitter earlier and noted that even in a poll this blue, O’s job approval stands at just 50 percent. The ice holding him up is awfully thin, and bound to get thinner once conservative Super PACs turn up the heat. Which, of course, explains Obama passing the buck today by whining about Congress as well as this new DNC ad pushing their meme that Romney’s the most conservative candidate in American history or whatever. They’ve got to change the subject, however they can.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Blah… Blah… Blah… People are afraid to say they don’t like Obama because they’ll be called a Racist.

brewcrew67 on May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

As these people’s situation grows more dire, they will like this clown less and less.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Another poll for Allahpundit to fap to.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

cripe….

touchy feely question…c’mon

cmsinaz on May 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM

brewcrew67 on May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

ding ding ding

cmsinaz on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Reuters polls have always been a joke.

Mark1971 on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I don’t understand how anybody can find this asshat likeable. He’s a juvenile, vindictive, petty, pig-ignorant narcissist. What’s there to like?

Walter Sobchak on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I’ll do a poll of me:

Romney — Like him
Obama — I don’t like him

Paul-Cincy on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Wouldn’t trust these idiot pollsters to not turn data over to BHO. Next thing you know, IRS audit.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

brewcrew67 on May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I agree. Or they are terrified of the IRS, EPA, FCC, FTA, FDA DoJ… shall I go on?

dogsoldier on May 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The land needs a daddy, not an aging un-cool rock star.

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

So Obama has a lock on Miss Congeniality… I don’t know if that helps.

de rigueur on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Obama leads Romney supporters on likability by about the same amount.

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Saw where Romney was arrested back in the ’80′s for disorderly conduct. Like him more already.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Alternate headline: American electorate dumber than originally thought. Also, more afraid of telling a pollster they don’t like a black guy than originally thought.

Kataklysmic on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Not surprised. The media’s been telling us for 5 years how goshdarned likable Obama is. They did the same thing for Clinton. Republicans aren’t likable until they’re out of office or dead.

Doogie on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I dislike both.

Don’t like Romney as a person
Don’t like Obama as a person

Don’t like Romney’s record
Don’t like Obama’s record

Don’t like Romney’s political views
Don’t like Obana’s political views

etc. etc.

Norwegian on May 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

That’s what we call “statistically insignificant.”

A likable liberal beats out a feckless flip-flopper. The GOP has to reosrt to hoping they can get enough people to close their eyes and cover their ears and vote for Mittens based strictly on animosity towards Obama.

Stoic Patriot on May 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Time for Mitt to show us how this electability thing is done.

Kensington on May 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Doogie on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

They still hate Bush. “Miss me yet?” Yes, yes I do.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

That’s funny AP, according to Morris; Obama’s likable and approval rating are closing in on the same level. That would be around 45 percent.

DDay on May 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Considering they are actually tied in the overall poll, Romney must jave a 29 point lead in competency or in being better on the economy.

Ill take it.

A couple of warm fuzzy videos at the convention van alter likability.

Cant alter the fact Obama knows jack about job creation.

swamp_yankee on May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I find this kind of information ludicrous. America is teetering on the edge of the toilet and there are still people worried about “likeability”?! At this point I’d entrust Charles Manson over Barack and his insufferable stupidity. Sorry, hate to sound like a repetitive record, but likeability = white guilt, in this instance.

BettyRuth on May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Yikes, yeah, that is a scary gap.

dczombie on May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Obama has one thing that makes him likeable: his apparent success at being a husband and father.
He has many more things that make him unlikeable: Arrogance, egoism, inability to tell the truth, idiotic gaffes (Ed should publish his Obamateurisms by video in October), ideologue, divisiveness, unattractive ruthlessness (another thread nailed it), etc. How can people call him likeable? Maybe it has to with skin color? Just sayin:
For whites:

brewcrew67 on May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

For blacks:
“He’s one of us.”

Christian Conservative on May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

So they are trying to paint a Massachusetts moderate as some Extreme Conservative. LOL! Good luck with that one, Dems.

terryannonline on May 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I think a lot of the 29-point gap is that people respect the Office of the Presidency, so they, naturally, say they like Barack out of respect for the office. I doubt that many more actually like him.

SouthernGent on May 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I would also say that likable and indifference are two separate and exclusive feelings. Did they measure indifference?

DDay on May 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I dislike both.

Don’t like Romney as a person
Don’t like Obama as a person

Don’t like Romney’s record
Don’t like Obama’s record

Don’t like Romney’s political views
Don’t like Obana’s political views

etc. etc.

Norwegian on May 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

THIS!

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I don’t like people I can’t trust. I especially don’t like Presidents that I can’t trust to uphold the US Constitution.

RBMN on May 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Gallup: Obama leads Romney on likability by … 29 points

Maybe if Mr. Obama eats his own dog…

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM

That will be the number in October regardless of that actual situation, and it might not be enough because the number is fake and people are noticing how fake it is.

forest on May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

romney’s electability is fading fast . . . .(it was never there in my book)

DUMP OBAMBI and MITTENS!

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I’ll remember that when as a hard-working non-black American ,
I won’t be able to afford gas for my car and
heat for my home
and
put food on the table for my family.
I’ll remember that everytime Obama’s sons rob and beat me.
People like me have to suffer and be scared for our lives, because a certain kind of people like Obama, as if he ia a movie hero or rapper

burrata on May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

The square Ward Cleaver-type is what people are going to want after the hangover of Obama-mania. The (allegedly) cool guy might be fun to party with, but when it’s time to pay the bill, I’d go with the nerd every time. I can’t be the only one.

Dark Star on May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

They still hate Bush. “Miss me yet?” Yes, yes I do.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Bush hasn’t been gone long enough. A little of that “strange new respect” is already starting to trickle in, and there will be more of it down the road. Just watch.

Doogie on May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

A flip flopping, liberal elitist rich guy who will say and do anything to pander for votes and who has been running for POTUS for most of his pampered adult life, is hard to like. I don’t know a single conservative that likes him. Some will still vote for him because they view him as the slightly lesser of two evil progressives.

they lie on May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That’s not a whispering Eeyore. That’s the voices telling you that this poll isn’t any more real than they are.

Sometimes the voices are right.

Curtiss on May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I don’t believe the numbers of this poll. Not in the privacy of the voting booth.

ladyingray on May 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

And there’s another problem with Obama’s distraction campaign. Engaging in a new ginned up dispute every two weeks with everyone from the Catholic Church to the Supreme Court to Seamus the Dog will take a toll on his numbers.

You know, the guy who gets drunk and wanders around the party starting loud arguments about stupid crap with everyone all night usually isn’t too popular by the end of the evening.

forest on May 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

What is there to like about 0bama?

His pitching ability? His Mom jeans? His self-regard? His competence? WHAT IS IT? Does he have a big dong or something?

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Well, as I look back on life, the coaches, that platoon sergeant I’ll never forget, the teachers and even some of my bosses that weren’t exactly my “bud” and weren’t interested in if I “liked” them or not were some of the people I most respect and admire.

I don’t want a beer buddy. I want someone to kick a$$ and take names when it comes to reducing the size of the government and creating jobs.

crosspatch on May 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

More I think about it, the more I think this is good news.

swamp_yankee on May 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

what is romney good for? not much from what i’ve seen so far!

DUMP OBAMBI and MITTENS!

America can do much, much, much, much better than these two clowns!

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The Bradley effect, less commonly called the Wilder effect,[1][2] is a theory proposed to explain observed discrepancies between voter opinion polls and election outcomes.

At least Romney isn’t a Communist.

tarpon on May 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

They still hate Bush. “Miss me yet?” Yes, yes I do.

msupertas on May 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM

As much as I can’t stand The One, I do not miss Bush. The curse of DHS is beyond measure.

bettycooper on May 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

the polls are real when they yield what you want them to . . .that’s pretty dopey. . . it’s too early to worry about polls anyway!

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Roundup of the latest Favorability Polls. Most have O’bama in the low 40s.

FWIW, in late October of 2004, Chimpy Bush’s Favorability was 53%, according to Gallup.

Del Dolemonte on May 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Listen….

Undecided/moderate voters don’t know anything about Mitt Romney. They haven’t been paying attention to him or the GOP. It’s waaaaaaayy too soon.

Get back to me on Romney’s likability after the Convention. Then we can talk. I guarantee the gap will be too insignificant to matter.

shannon76 on May 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Gary Johnson wants to repeal Obamacare and the medicare part D . . .is America man enough to handle that? If not, they deserve both bambi and mittens.

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Ask the person who`s been out of work so long he/she has dropped off of the charts the BLS uses to fudge the UE #`s if they care about “likeability”, Barry will go down in a landslide not seen since the Georgian made a mess of things.

NY Conservative on May 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

GALLUP….ROMNEY 47, O 44….RASSY… ROMNEY 49, O 44

Rook on May 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What has like got to do with it?

Typical lefty feelings poll.

Ever been to Whole Foods? It’s owned by a Tea Party sympathizing republican. He was ‘outed’ as a significant GOP donor. Whole Foods thrives in Liberal toilets like California. I bet the libs don’t like the CEOs take on anything at all, but they like what his shops sell.

Likability? This game is slightly more serious than grade school hopscotch.

CorporatePiggy on May 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And here comes the parade of the intellectually disabled.

crosspatch on May 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Who is more motivated this time around? The “likability” voter or the “issues” voter. Right now I have faith in the “issues” voter.

TexAz on May 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

to crosspatch:

Romney is the one who is deficient . . .in every way possible . . .not only did he never serve his country but NONE of his many sons did either . . .I could NEVER vote for someone as impotent and that . . . let alone all of his other deficiencies as regards to conservatism. . .he is truly a pitiful horrible candidate….what a shame.

DUMP THE OBAMAMBI AND MITTENS TWINS! America must be saved!
No more wiimps in the White House!

Palin/West 2012 Strong and courageous conservative men and women is whatg America needs NOW!

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

People are afraid to be seen liking Romney.
People are afraid to be seen not liking Obama.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Romney is the one who is deficient . . .in every way possible . . .not only did he never serve his country in the military but NONE of his many sons did either . . .I could NEVER vote for someone as impotent and that . . . let alone all of his other deficiencies as regards to conservatism. . .he is truly a pitiful horrible candidate….what a shame.

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Swindlers are usually very likeable.

It’s part of their methodology.

Obama is that kind of likeable.

profitsbeard on May 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Pragmatic on May 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

*facepalm*..

Dire Straits on May 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Swindlers are usually very likeable.

It’s part of their methodology.

Obama is that kind of likeable.

profitsbeard on May 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yep. A con man if there ever was one.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I think that Sallypundit is a little too too focused on lickability.
We as nation need to know if this is how we are going to choose our leaders as if they were hosts of Today or the View. If it is is, the only answer is evacuation.

rik on May 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Bullsh!t.

Lanceman on May 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Give it time.

One open mic is all it will take.

The Ugly American on May 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Old polling question:

“Do you like Obama?”

New polling question:

“Obama eats dogs. Do you like Obama?”

Recalculating ………..

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

At least Rmoney™ is a True Con™ Tea Party type. So there’s that.

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I dislike both.

Don’t like Romney as a person
Don’t like Obama as a person

Don’t like Romney’s record
Don’t like Obama’s record

Don’t like Romney’s political views
Don’t like Obama’s political views

etc. etc.

Norwegian on May 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Don’t like Romney’s supporters
Don’t like Obama’s supporters

Nuts.

But, when push comes to shove, I don’t like Obama more.

Fallon on May 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

People are afraid to be seen liking Romney.
People are afraid to be seen not liking Obama.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Lickability (see rik at 7:16pm) aside, more educated Democrats will switch to Romney than moderates that stick with Obama.

bettycooper on May 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Don’t like Obama as a person

Don’t like Romney’s record
Don’t like Obama’s record

Don’t

like Romney’s political views
Don’t like Obama’s political views

..and I think Norwegian is a sardine-sucking, mouth-breathing, mirror fogging troll.

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

People are afraid to be seen liking Romney.
People are afraid to be seen not liking Obama.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

A presidential candidate people are scared to like in public.. You pubbies have really screwed this one up big time.

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Don’t like Romney’s supporters
Don’t like Obama’s supporters

Nuts.

But, when push comes to shove, I don’t like Obama more.

Fallon on May 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

..that’s all that can be asked. We can work on the other stuff staring on 8 November.

The War Planner on May 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Yeah, “Likeability” is ALWAYS tops on my vote requirements. Why not vote for the idiot that’s “most likeable”. It’s not like your interested in what happens to the country.

PRESENT! sure has cured a lot of problems, hasn’t he?

GarandFan on May 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

At least Rmoney™ is a True Con™ Tea Party type. So there’s that.

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Dont forget Sketch saved Detroit and should also be given credit for killing OBL

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’m sorry but people do not like the President they just tell this to the polls because they are afraid to appear racist. Obama is not liked, regardless of what the poll claims.

tbrickert on May 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oh please. As if there is any Republican that it’s cool and acceptable to like.

Kataklysmic on May 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

No, no, you have overreached yet again. 0 deserves all the credit for the Osama kill. He got the little chair after all. Detroit, well enough said right there. GM should have failed the proper way. 0 screwed that one up royal as did Bush.

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Sketch had as much to do with the killing of OBL as Obama did.

These new trolls are dumber than the old trolls.

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’ll find Obama likeable….when he’s heading back to Chicago on January 20th, 2013.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Since liberals are all about feelings, it doesn’t surprise me that they would bring up such a poll. They can’t win in the arena of ideas, so, hey, our guy is cool!

Decoski on May 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Obama is killing jobs in America.

Got to give him his due credit.

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM

These new trolls are dumber than the old trolls.

fogw on May 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yes, truly second rate. Its not even much fun to confuse them. Its just so easy, most of the work has been done ahead of time. Normally I won’t even respond to their idiocy. Having just returned after many days away, I guess I forgot. ; )

Bmore on May 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The average person still knows very little about Romney.

And don’t spout off the “running for President for 8 years” stuff either.

The average person only pays attention to the two people in the general election. The average person doesn’t follow primary politics.

The average person has never had a reason to get to know more about Romney.

After Romney is the nominee, things will be vastly different.

Obama should be very worried.

Actually, I think he is very worried, that’s why he’s already started the carpet bombing.

ButterflyDragon on May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

brewcrew67 on May 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

zacklee

reliapundit on May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Walter Sobchak on May 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I’ll take a crack at it.

He projects himself to the casual observer as a laid-back, even-tempered cool dude. It could not be further from the truth, but they see his juvenile attacks as normal politicking. The only thing that can happen to get them to not like him is some major smoking gun screw up that cannot be spun to his benefit or ignored by the press. Solyndra and F&F can be buried or otherwise deflected until after election day.

Romney is smart to not try to get people to dislike Obama because that will backfire. If it happens by way of bad economic news that you can assign the blame to him, so much the better. But, it won’t be a huge swing. His personal likeability has held up thus long through some miserable times – it wont change that much before november. You attack him on his incompetence and hope they look at the election as a serious business decision.

The Count on May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I’ll find Obama likeable….when he’s heading back to Chicago on January 20th, 2017.

Bitter Clinger on May 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

FIFY

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Bradley Effect

The Bradley effect theorizes that the inaccurate polls were skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias. Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation. Members of the public may feel under pressure to provide an answer that is deemed to be more publicly acceptable, or ‘politically correct’.

farsighted on May 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Yep. Clearly we’re scared to death.

An incumbent that can’t break 50% prior to his opponent being nominated. That’s “YIKES!” territory there my friend.

ButterflyDragon on May 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I Don’t believe it, it’s all phoney

I will take Rasmussen Poll

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Mitt Romney earning 49% of the vote and President Obama attracting 44% support. Three percent (3%) would vote for a third party candidate, while another three percent (3%) are undecided.

Conservative4ev on May 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Hey, Mitt, how about asking Barry — in front of the cameras — why he called people of faith who own guns “bitter clingers”? Time to take the gloves off. Obama’s an angry radical racist bigot. Go after him with his own words.

RobertMN on May 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

FIFY

Uppereastside on May 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Beating your chest won’t close Obama’s deficit to Romney in the polls.

The Count on May 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I think pundit is a liberal…

Every time a poll comes out the favors Obama he will post…

I think he has posted one poll about Romney leading in the past 2 months…

I have not looked up the archives, but that seems about right…

MGardner on May 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Ah my day would not be complete without Allahpundit whining about some new poll. In a day of great polls for Romney (the utterly fictional Reuters/Ipsos poll notwithstanding), Allahpundit managed to find the one cloud and focus on it.

Of course, this is what he does, attempt to dishearten the base with every breath. I just hope Team Obama is paying Allahpundit well enough for selling us out each and every day.

Of course Obama is more “likable” than Romney. Obama is a groovy dude – sort of the Ferris Buehler of politics. Sure I’d love to party with Ferris but I wouldn’t want him managing my stock portfolio.

mitchellvii on May 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

The average person still knows very little about Romney.

ButterflyDragon on May 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

And most of what little they know comes from the MSM coverage of the GOP primaries, during which other candidates and other Republicans trashed Romney (and each other) for about eight months.

I’m not a big Romney fan, but these silly high school level popularity contest style “most likeable” polls need to be put in perspective.

farsighted on May 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

People don’t like Mitt? Who’d a thunk?

You know, considering the long history of nominating losing “electable” candidates — Dole, Kerry, McCain, etc. — it’s almost like “electable” is a synonym for “guy nobody likes but maybe people will vote for him anyway.”

Might explain the losing track record of people nominated because they were “electable.”

tom on May 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

But then, most low-information voters don’t really know Romney yet,

TA DA!!! (snap out of it)

bluealice on May 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Alternate headline: American electorate dumber than originally thought.
Kataklysmic on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Also, I’m sure the media presentation of both Obama and Romney has had no effect on their perceived likability.

talkingpoints on May 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Obama leads Romney supporters on likability by about the same amount.

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM