Video: Romney doesn’t respond to townhall questioner’s “treason” comment about Obama

posted at 5:42 pm on May 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Think Progress, which enjoys a power to push stories into big-media outlets that righty blogs can only dream of. Ace’s headline for this story says all that really needs to be said. Rest assured, President Romney will be accused of treason by left-wing partisans for reasons various and sundry within, oh, six months of taking office, especially since liberals will by then once again be free to pretend that they’re anti-war and deeply offended by drone strikes and military interventions, etc etc. The punchline here is that even if Mitt had spoken up, the story afterward wouldn’t have been “Romney defends Obama against ‘treason’ charge,” it would have been “‘Treason’ charge highlights divide between Romney and monstrously radical wingnut base.” In fact, I was amused to learn that McCain’s exchange with a townhall questioner in 2008 who accused Obama of being Arab was treated as some big moment of political courage in “Game Change.” As I recall, the media/liberal takeaway from that incident at the time was that the questioner was perfectly emblematic of Republican voters, with McCain’s response more or less an afterthought. We can’t elect Romney because he didn’t say anything today, but even if he had, we can’t elect him because then we’re empowering people like the questioner. See how that works? Good thing there are no partisans on the left, huh?

Three clips for you here. The first is Romney at the townhall. The second, a personal favorite, is of left-wing heartthrob John Edwards — the liberal blogosphere’s preferred candidate circa 2007, do note — humoring a bottom-feeding Truther asking him about World Trade Center Building 7 while on the trail that year. He doesn’t hear the question at first but then the crowd relays it and suddenly he’s plenty agreeable. And third, via Andrew Kaczynski, is Obama flunky Dan Pfeiffer responding to the incident last year in which Teamsters prez James Hoffa said at an Obama event that it was time to “take these [Republican] sons of bitches out.” Oddly enough, Pfeiffer was much more ambivalent about attributing one person’s words to a candidate in that case than the left is being today. Exit question: Which Obama townhall questioner recently referred to the Koch brothers as “contract killers out there in Super PAC land”? Oops, that wasn’t a townhall questioner. It was … David Axelrod.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Maybe, instead of going with the whole “gay guy” comment…maybe the person on this thread with the higher IQ would actually use the SEARCH function or even Google to post his name, instead of going for the generic “Gay Guy” like you’re talking about tissues or bleach…

..BTW, his name is Ric Grenell.

BlaxPac on May 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I’m not obsessed with some gay dude who worked for Romney for a whole two weeks. I don’t care about the guy. Don’t think he was qualified for the job or serious in general. If you want to know the names of obscure gay dudes in the Romney campaign, that’s your business but don’t hold unrealistic expectactions for everybody else. I have bigger fish to fry.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Nope, but I have freedom of speech. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Not on a private website, you don’t. If you don’t live in Massachusetts, then what are you complaining about? Do you not think that the sovereign residents of a sovereign state have a right to have the government they choose? Do you understand the concept of a republic?

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

My greatness of thought is understood on this forum. A lot of conservatives think it’s a hanging offense to suggest the Constitution could be better with regards to what state and local governments can do to you. I’m not anti-Constitution simply b/c I think this is a major area that it could have been better.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Your ignorance of the Constitution is astounding.

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Your ignorance of the Constitution is astounding.

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

You and Ron Paul think you have a monopoly on the Constitution. Learn to talk about politics without referring to the Constitution all the time like some ignorant redneck. Healthcare policy has nothing to do with the Constitution. I’m tired of you Romney brown nosers trying to dumb it down.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

That’s too seperate issues. I have never said I hvae the right to post on a website. I’ll still have freedom of speech if they ban me though.

A lot of people in that state opposed ROmneyCare. I care about liberty for those people. If you don’t lik ethat, go fly a kite.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m done talking to you. You are not serious. I can’t get you to where you need to be. I understand you don’t like Obama but you need to get past that. I have criticisms of Romney. I’m not saying vote for Obama or sit it out, and that’s what you think. You don’t have to brown nose Mr. Romney. You have that choice.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

You clearly do not know what I think. Since I have not divulged any information that reveals my beliefs.

I’m simply asking why you felt the need to insult me for absolutely no reason.

Spliff Menendez on May 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I believe you are having an issue differentiating between what is legal and what is horrible policy. Romneycare is unfortunately both. Romney lovers don’t want to acknowledge the latter, Romney haters the former.

Spliff Menendez on May 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM

You tried to argue that I as a “Romney hater” don’t understand that RomneyCare is Constitutional.

That is absolutely not what I said. I insulted you b/c you insulted me. You don’t have reading comprehension skills if you think I said that RomneyCare is unconstitutional, b/c I never said that. I was making the exact same point.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Spliff,

What you were doing is what I call forcing a talking point that didn’t apply to what I was saying. You have some talking memorized and you like to recite those even if it’s not based on what anybody is saying.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I don’t think anybody who doesn’t like ROmneyCare argues it is illegal. So it’s a strawman to suggest that we do.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM

No he didn’t. You got that about as wrong as can be. You don’t read so well. Are you drunk again or off your meds again?

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

If you are going to talk trash you ought to come up with some original stuff.

Doesn’t Ron Paul need you over on StromFront?

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM

If you are going to talk trash you ought to come up with some original stuff.

Doesn’t Ron Paul need you over on StromFront?

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM

You called me a Romney brown-noser just a few posts ago, so I’ll take that as a yes to my questions.

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Dante on May 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM

That’s b/c Ron Paul fans like Romney.

Big governmnet at the state level equals freedom. It’s in the Constitution. :)

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Romney doesn’t respond to townhall questioner’s “treason” comment about Obama

A STRONG GOP candidate would have responded. He could have turned the question to 0bama’s failing to recognize the HEROS who actually killed OBL, or he could have brought up the reluctance of the 0bama Regime in prosecuting the known terrorists at Club Gitmo.

Willard is clearly not prepared to take on 0bama today. I think we’ll be seeing more of the same throughout this liberal campaign.

DannoJyd on May 8, 2012 at 2:33 AM

That’s b/c Ron Paul fans like Romney.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

While that may have a small bit of truth to it, I’ve been reading where a LOT of RP supporters are getting ready to cast their lot in with Governor Gary Johnson, the winner of the Libertarian Primary.

I’m still looking for ANY reason to ‘like’ Romney, but none of his supporters are capable of passing along any salient reason. That will make my job of assisting my local GOP most difficult if not impossible this year.

DannoJyd on May 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

That’s b/c Ron Paul fans like Romney.

Dr. Tesla on May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I didn’t have to go far to prove my point. Here is a Ron Paul supporter making my earlier point for me. :o)

DannoJyd on May 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

DannoJyd on May 8, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I am second to none in my belief that Romney has all the value of nipples on a nun, but for now he is necessary to supplant Obama and at least be a placeholder till we can get someone better in there.

swinia sutki on May 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM