Important news from Charles Barkley: Romney’s going down hard in November

posted at 10:03 pm on May 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Sad. He used to be a Republican but then the party moved right and now he’s mostly known for dumping on it. He’s basically David Frum but with many, many more rebounds.

But is he right?

In a series of interviews with campaign officials in Chicago, it is clear that the entire re-elect operation likes its odds of winning a second term. The informal slogan is essentially “Be confident, but take nothing for granted.” Presidential senior adviser David Plouffe, the 2008 campaign manager now overseeing the enterprise from his perch steps away from the Oval Office, Jim Messina, Plouffe’s 2012 titular successor in Chicago, and their deputies in both cities believe that, despite the dangers of high unemployment and gas prices, Mitt Romney faces four major barriers to winning the big prize.

First, in the view of the Obamans, Romney is still a weak candidate. His stump skills continue to be uneven at best, with speeches plagued by awkward jargon and passionless rhetoric. They believe his tenure as head of Bain Capital and his term as governor of Massachusetts conceal vulnerabilities yet to be unveiled. “No one’s ever looked at Romney’s record, and there’s a lot there,” said one senior campaign official. “He developed this set of values at Bain about what the economy is all about … Whatever it took to make money … He took that same philosophy to Massachusetts [as governor].” Obama’s team is sitting on a multimedia treasure trove of research about both phases of Romney’s career and expects to launch powerful missiles at key moments throughout the campaign, discombobulating the Republican each time…

Because Chicago has expanded its electoral-map targets by exactly one McCain 2008 state – Arizona – and because the popular vote is expected to be closer than it was four years ago, the Obama team is not being coy when it admits this will be a close election. But as of the first week of May, it is not a close election any of the team’s members expects to lose.

Romney really is a weak candidate. Organizationally he’s the best we could have hoped for but as far as I know he’s never won a race in which he didn’t heavily outspend his opponents. He crushed Newt and, ultimately, Santorum that way (I’m including Super PAC money here of course) and he won the governorship in 2002 by spending two dollars for every one spent by his opponent. He had the good fortune this year too of facing a field in which all of his competitors were, for one reason or another, essentially not ready for prime time. As I think Philip Klein once put it, he was the one guy who showed up in a suit for his job interview, so he won. Barkley’s kidding himself by thinking O’s going to beat Mitt like a drum but, barring another economic downturn, it’s hard to be optimistic about facing a more talented pol in O who’ll be able to match Romney dollar for dollar. Hope I’m wrong about that, needless to say, but I might as well confess my doubts up front since soon it’ll be verboten on both sides to speak ill of one’s nominee — until the day after election day, when, if we end up falling short, the conventional wisdom will suddenly shift to “yeah, he was a weak candidate.” See also “McCain, John.” Speaking of which, your exit question: Maverick’s pretty excited about this Romney campaign, huh?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t really care what Romney does or says; the bottom line is that Obama has to go. I have a Romney sign up in my front window, and I send money to the Romney campaign. Obama has to go, and take as many Democrats with him as possible. Did I mention Obama has to go?

claudius on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I am so on board with this, I am even considering writing a check to the RNC. Now I have to go take a shower for saying that.

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

your analysis is abysmal, I would never be in a foxhole with a guy like this~! Romney is not only the best candidate we could have put up, he has the best shot at beating a sitting President..

AirForceCane on May 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

If Romney is the best, I cringe to think of who the worst would have been…someone actually conservative…?

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

claudius on May 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Romney gets my vote. That’s it. No yard signs. Not a single thin penny out of my pocketbook. Not a single second of volunteer time. Just a vote. If he can’t seal the deal, that’s Romney’s failing, not mine.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

If that’s what you can muster, then thanks. I can sympathize. I actually am spending more of my time and money on Jim DeMint’s group of Senate candidates. But I have enough fear and loathing of another four years of this evil clown, that I will gladly spend money on organizations that I wouldn’t under normal circumstances give the time of day to.

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Try telling that to all of the displaced workers who’s jobs where shipped overseas in small town USA. This is a big problem for Romney but your hatred for conservatives is what really matters here. Right?

Wrong on both counts moron.

Try peddling those memes somewhere else.

Let’s talk in detail about all the companies that were on the edge of existence that Bain saved. Ditto industries that were already consolidating and sending jobs overseas. You want to blame Bain for that? It’s been roundly debunked as nonsense.

I’ll take any case you want to intellectually discuss on a case-by-case basis.

Bain added value to the economic diversity and health of our industries across a wide swath of America. Many American workers and investors have been, and still are, the recipients of Bain’s contributions to our capitalist system.

It is those types of ideals and skills which out country needs.

I am a little sick of the he’s a rich, uncaring, corporate raider lies.

Ditto this crap he is a “weak” candidate coming from people who know very little about Romney personally, repeat crap they read on the internet or harbor personal grudges or doubts, based on no real intelligent reasons, and in direct opposition to the complete truth and discernible facts.

Either you are for Romney or for Obama. Period. Full stop.

This gutless, cowardly crap where folks position themselves as metaphorically “being along for the ride” while constantly trying to flatten the tires and then when it crashes saying, “oh- well the car was old and not worthy…it was inevitable” is probably the most dishonest, contemptible, loathsome, self-destructive, chicken-sh*t nonsense I have ever heard.

Either you are part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Marcus Traianus on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Practically speaking, I can’t really afford it. But consider that this is exactly what Mitt Romney is counting on, and then ask yourself, was this really the best we could do? A guy who is holding himself up as “not Obama?” Really?! That’s the BEST we could do this time? Rombots make me sick.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Either you are part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Marcus Traianus on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Then I guess I’m part of the problem. GFY.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Charles Barkley is a “knuckle head” and what he said, was “turrible.” But is it really all that surprising that a black athlete is supporting Obama? And who cares?

These pessimistic threads are depressing. And I don’t see how they help. We need enthusiasm. So its time to start believing we are going to win. Coaches don’t go in the locker room at half time when your down and say, “we’re going to lose. That team is better than us.” Weren’t the American Patriots out gunned by the British? Shouldn’t they have lost? But they didn’t. And where would we be today if the Generals at D day would have said to their men, “Dude I’m nervous.”

For me its simple. I don’t want to be socialist. I don’t care if Romney was my choice. I don’t want to be socialist. And I don’t want free birth control. I want my first ammendment right to freedom of religion. And I dont want an administration that cooks up a F&F scheme. I want my second ammendment right. I don’t want Obamacare and trillions of dollars in debt owned by China I want a strong America owned by Americans. So time to put on your big boy pants and start believing we can do this. Because we have to.

Allah, I leave you with this wisdom from Master Yoda.

magicbeans on May 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

magicbeans on May 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM

We need VOTES. Romney needs votes. All the enthusiasm in the world isn’t going to do bupkis if it doesn’t win folks over who wouldn’t have otherwise voted against Obama. Romney has my (admittedly anti-Obama) vote, but the ABO/Rombot crowd should quit whining about whining and think about how they’re actually going to convince people. You know, like Romney’s campaign is supposed to be doing?

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I spent months hoping that ‘we’ could do better. But this is what we have. As much as I hoped for a different outcome to the primary process, I also have some optimism now. Not optimism for the best possible president. Optimism for not-Obama. And I believe that with any number of other candidates, my optimism would be dread. I believe that with any number of other candidates, Obama would be leading among independents. By a lot. There’s no logic to this, except that a lot of Americans are woefully, pathetically uninformed, and the usual suspects are more than happy to feed their ignorance.

This is where we are, and we aren’t going to change it now – we can only make the best of it, and hope to do better next time. As Ron White says (paraphrased), when life gives you lemons, find someone to whom life gave them vodka, and make it work.

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

OneFreeMan on May 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Yeah. So true. I guess what really irritates me though is this thought that I am somehow duty-bound to either be enthusiastic or I should STFU and just accept it. Screw that.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Do you think we are idiots or have short memories?

This is the tripe-mantra you have been peddling since the primaries.

Romney didn’t just “show up in a suit” at Bain. He basically created an industry remained the best for some time. They were envied for their success and new approaches. They were both tenacious and smart. Do you think winning in that game was easy? The product of someone with “weak” character?

I’m no Romney-bot. But I have to say I am a little tired of the thoughtless punditry which involves very little cogitative thought or intellectual conclusions.

Yours is the product of of a mind who has built conclusions based on pedestrian rumors and observations. You continue to support and prolong false memes which are the oppositions biggest weapon. As he tries to get the electorate familiar with who he is, you look for excuse to say- “oh look, he is really aloof” or “out of touch” or “not a regular guy” or whatever comports with your abject stupidity, rose colored glasses, the glass is half-full crap.

Instead, how about you focus on Mr. Romney skills, capabilities and accomplishments? That is- if you have taken the time to know any.

Obama’s weaknesses? Gee- I guess he has none or at least no Achilles heel? Give me a break. Have you suffered some brain trauma that doesn’t allow you to remember the last three years? How about last week? Been to the unemployment office lately? Seen any foreclosed houses? Any of this ringing bells?

Congratulations. If Mr. Romney does lose, you can pat yourself on the back and console yourself with the “oh- he was a weak candidate
nonsense.

Marcus Traianus on May 8, 2012 at 7:56 AM

people like Marcus are the only reason I come back to this site. the inability to moderate the comments where there are clear trolls and lib imposters is infuriating, and the lack of any real incisive commentary or even rumination is baffling. Really?

Yet another Allahpundit “we are just hosed because I say we are and so we really don’t have a chance to win because I say we don’t, even though all polls this week show we have a great chance to win, but I want to look like I was right all along so I kind of hope we lose anyway, because then if we lose I get to come on here and say I told you so, so I think I will try and make us lose”

LAME!!

AirForceCane on May 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Well I can assure you no one is going to be convinced to vote for Romney until we start acting like we can win. Obama wasn’t supposed to win the primary but he kept saying, yes we can. And then they did. Let the Dems and the liberal media write the blogs about Romney being a weak candidate. He has strengths.

Romney isn’t going to come off as an extremist like Obama wants him to be. Even Ted Turner said he was a gentleman and would make a good president. Can you imagine TT saying that about Newt or Santorum? Moderate Dems and people we could peel off are not going to be scared off by Romney. And Romney has been incredibly successful. He’s a business man and an executive. Those are things Obama isn’t. People can figure out a good business man could be good for the economy.

I’m certainly not as knowledgable about these things as many on this board are. I’m not under any delusions. I still panic that I might mispell my words or not use proper grammer but anyone should be able to understand that we need to believe and stay positive and focused on success if we are to have any hope for it. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not trying to whine or upset anybody.

magicbeans on May 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

With limp wristed pansies like Allahpundit on your side- who needs enemies?

I can guarantee this guy was either never in the military or the most despised private in his platoon-

Uh, maybe the reason Mitt Romney was a “weak” candidate is because he was first running in one of the most liberal bastions in America as a REPUBLICAN?!

and maybe he was a “weak” primary candidate because he was running in a CONSERVATIVE party as the former governor of one of the most liberal bastions in America?!!

AirForceCane on May 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

LOL. The schoolyard taunts of “crybaby” aren’t working to turn enthusiasm around. Maybe a George S. Patton slap or two will help matters. I don’t think that’s been tried before. /

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

magicbeans on May 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I haven’t seen many of your posts outside this thread, but you don’t strike me as a Rombot. ;-)

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

AirForceCane on May 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Aitch748 on May 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

What you – and all of us – can do, is to use the slap-down skills we have been honing here to talk facts to undecided voters as the election nears, and help them through the stream of flim-flam that’s coming. Give your vote AND help other people see what a failure 0bama is. If all of us do that, it will have a multiplier effect.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I want equal time for my opinion on national tv, and I want it now.

HOOLiBAR6 on May 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

My vote against Obama speaks for itself, as far as I’m concerned. As I have said many times before, I’ve taken flack from rombots for not speaking positively enough about him, and I’ve taken flack from the ABR’s for my willingness to help Romney in order to damage Obama. When it comes right down to it, philosophically, I’m a voter without a candidate.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

The job facing all us of, which I hope you’ll help with, is to talk to the young voters. They are the ones who are reachable. The “educated,” single, white professional woment are not reachable in that if they still love 0bama, there’s no hope for that level of myopia.

But the young ones… they don’t have the life experience to sort through 0bama’s pretty lies. They are the ones massively out of work. They are the ones who operate much more on gut… and a lot of them, I bet, have a queasy feeling about 0bama.

If the young ones can be turned, 0bama is done.

So if you run across them between now and November, and politics comes up, there’s your chance to do your part without donating one dollar or putting up one yard sign.

cane_loader on May 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

It sort of does ring of the world’s oldest profession, don’t it ;-). What’s disturbing is that we’re in this holding pattern seeing who the VP is going to be who can prop up our presumptive weak candidate. What should have been a run away victory at this point has become a grasping at straws with trumped up polls but the real attacks against Romney haven’t even started yet. It all rings so hollow. I don’t know, but I’m not feeling the love around here.

mozalf on May 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Wrong on both counts moron.

Try peddling those memes somewhere else.

I’ll take any case you want to intellectually discuss on a case-by-case basis.

It is those types of ideals and skills which out country needs.

I am a little sick of the he’s a rich, uncaring, corporate raider lies.

Either you are for Romney or for Obama. Period. Full stop.

Either you are part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Marcus Traianus on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Wrong again Jerk-off!

Today’s headlines in the Knoxville News Sentinel

Eaton leaves Lenoir City, shipping 800 jobs to Mexico.

Care to answer why the Sentinel placed this article on the front page of the Newspaper.

Hint: it has something to do with Obama reminding voters this summer about how Romney really just doesn’t care about jobs.

Stop your hatred for conservatives, we are trying to help this fool

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

So that is why the polls are showing Romney and Jugears in a dead heat while other polls show Jugears winning the electoral college?

Look, I get that you support McCain II fully. Just get over the fact that a huge bunch of us are going to vote for him because we know the Republic can’t stand another four years of Jugears. Just don’t be smug about that fact. Dancing in the end-zone is unbecoming and just pisses people off.

AZfederalist on May 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I don’t believe that commentary was directed at someone like you; rather, I take that it was directed at perfectedly negative ABRers, miserable, obliviously funny, extremist cranks living at the South Pole who cannot find anything good/right about Romney, and who perpetually bitch and moan about “Mittbots”, a label they’ve given to anyone who is able to find a positive characteristic about Mitt. Those ABRers do deserve to be derided, and I can’t see what justifiable problem there could be with tauntingly spiking the ball in from of them.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

IMHO the real key to this campaign is going to be focus. Obama is the ADD President and so far is running an ADD campaign, shifting from issue to issue almost by the hour. I think a big part of his strategy is just to keep so many balls in the air that nobody can really pay any attention to any one of them. Romney and the RNC have to identify the core issues and hammer on them in the expectation that sooner or later Obama is going to have to stand still. If they are not strong enough to do that then yes, Obama prevails. If they actually can force Obama to speak to his record then yes, Romney can win.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on May 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

You know I was right there with ya–if I remember, you used to call yourself a Palinista. I fully believe Sarah could have reclaimed her image during this campaign.

Oh, well.

Because she didn’t run, we learned more about the other candidates. And thanks to Newt, I have more confidence in this Romney guy than I otherwise would have.

It is those types of ideals and skills which out country needs.

Marcus Traianus on May 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Does anybody with a clue really think a politician can lead Congress to reform entitlements unless he/she cut their teeth doing it in the private sector? This Romney guy impresses me more the more I get to hear him. I don’t think he is a true/blue conservative, but I honestly think I would say the same thing about Sarah if she were running–and I would support her 100%, because she would be the best we could do.

(IMO, conservatism offers long-term solutions to problems, while liberalism only deals with immediate problems without regard for the future. Liberalism has gotten us into so many mid-range and long-term crises that the voting populace will not be patient enough to wait for only conservative solutions to work. So any conservative pol must be pragmatic at times in order to deal with all the crappy situations liberalism has dropped in their laps.)

For only the second time in my life, I’ve recently sent a check to the RNC. I was unemployed for a year, and I’m still underemployed, but there’s a house in Chicago that misses the Obama family.

rwenger43 on May 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM

AZfederalist on May 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I don’t believe that commentary was directed at someone like you; rather, it was directed at perfectedly negative ABRers, miserable, obliviously funny, extremist cranks living at the South Pole who cannot find anything good/right about Romney, and who perpetually b!tch and moan about “Mittbots”, a label they’ve given to anyone who is able to find a positive, defensible characteristic about Mitt. Those ABRers do deserve to be derided, and I can’t see what justifiable problem there could be with spiking the ball in from of them.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Oops, meant to have, “rather, I take that it was directed…”

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Just admit that you hate tea party conservatives and we will call it a day. A perfect productive day. Come on! Come out of the closet!

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Unfortunately for you, I don’t take bozos who “think” as poorly as you seriously enough to respect – look to meet your infantile need for affirmation elsewhere! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

jjnco73 on May 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Since, unlike you, I am a genuinely nice person, I’ll give a fuller explanation of my problem with you.

I don’t believe you are honestly interested in what I have to say – if I told you what my opinion is of Tea Party Conservatives, I believe you would accuse me of lying and/or you’d insult me in some other ludicrous, time-wasting way. I simply do not believe you debate people you disagree with in good faith.

To sum it up, I don’t believe you care about other people’s opinions as much as you do your own, which causes me to be uninterested in furthering a discussion with you. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Stick with making failed basketball predictions, Sir Cumference.

Decoski on May 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Charles Barf ley and Lovie Chicago Smith love their Obama, birds of a feather…they maybe athletically talented, but do they know history and economics? Probably not

jazzuscounty on May 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Mitts got my vote and I’ve voted in every election from 1960.

mixplix on May 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I’m sorry. Am I supposed to care what this ignorant DB happens to think about Obama? I think not.

kens on May 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

There are plainly 2 choices in November – if you don’t support one, you support the other. It’s that simple……

BabysCatz on May 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

And THAT is the BEST reason you can come up with for people to vote for Mr. Individual Mandate? Really!

I’m sure passing that along to the Conservatives showing up at the GOP Victory Centers will certainly gin up some excitement… for the Third Party Candidate.

DannoJyd on May 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Win more TEA PARTY federal legislators and state officials in November.

A Tea-Party dominated Congress is more important than a weak RINO President.

TheAlamos on May 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Either you are an example of someone going so far right he ends up left…you are a Paulbot…or you are actually a Democrat doing an impersonation of what you think a conservative is like.

Terrye on May 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Actually, that is the perfect description of the TEA Party Plan B, so perhaps you are actually a Democrat doing an impersonation of what you think a conservative is like since you are definitely out of the loop.

DannoJyd on May 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM