Video: CNN not exactly buying the War on Wimmenses meme

posted at 6:31 pm on May 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I missed this a couple of days ago, but reader Mike V brought it to my attention this morning, and it’s definitely worth watching. MoveOn spokesman Justin Ruben appeared on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360 to amplify their claim that the Republican insistence on using ObamaCare funds to pay for the student-loan subsidy program was just another example of the War on Wimmenses.  When Cooper points out that MoveOn had nothing to say when Democrats proposed to use the fund for other priorities, the MoveOn flack stammers, “I think that’s just not true,” but Cooper then drops an Obama bomb on his head.  MoveOn’s outgunned mouthpiece then makes the claim that MoveOn fights Obama “all the time! … We’ve cut ads against Obama!”  Er …

You can read the full transcript here, but this is the money part:

COOPER: President Obama himself agreed to take money out. His budget, in fact, for 2013 specifies taking billions of dollars out for this. But you don’t say he’s targeting women, do you? I haven’t heard MoveOn.org say President Obama is targeting women’s health, that the Democrats are targeting women’s health five months ago. Now it’s Republicans targeting women’s health because they are wanting to do it.

RUBEN: You know, the fact is you have — we have millions of –

(CROSSTALK)

COOPER: So when –

RUBEN: — MoveOn members who benefit from programs –

COOPER: So when President Obama –

RUBEN: Rely on these programs — COOPER: Wanted to –

RUBEN: We fight president — we’ve fought President Obama all the time.

COOPER: So — so where’s your ad for — where’s your ad saying President Obama is targeting women?

RUBEN: We’ve run ads against President Obama. But the fact is if you want to look at who is consistently targeting women, who is — you know, who’s the party that’s trying to eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood, who is the party that has consistently been trying to cut funding for cervical cancer and Pap smears? That’s the Republicans.

And we’re going to call that out. And of course they’re going to try to dodge and get away from that. But the fact is, it’s true. There are over $200 million of 2013 funding that they are zeroing out.

COOPER: And Obama’s 2013 budget when –

RUBEN: And the bottom line is this is — we shouldn’t be having this conversation. Why are we having a conversation — look, you have student loan rates –

COOPER: Because my job is to report on facts. Not to meet your agenda. And when President Obama suggests in his 2012 budget cutting billions of dollars from this, I don’t see a MoveOn.org ad saying President Obama is attacking women. You only seem to be targeting Republicans because that meets your political agenda.

RUBEN: I just — I just don’t think that’s true. I mean look –

COOPER: So when President Obama wants to cut money from this, that’s not targeting women?

RUBEN: President Obama wants to — look, was it a problem –

COOPER: Yes or no? Does that target women when President Obama wants to take billions of dollars out of this?

RUBEN: When President Obama is taking billions of dollars out of this, that’s wrong and will have a disproportionate effect on women.

COOPER: So he’s targeting women.

Cooper might have had a pretty good career as a litigator.  Of course, one can’t always count on having such an unarmed opponent in a battle of wits, either.  This is what happens when demagoguery meets reality.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Julia hit hardest.

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

FORWARD with Obama’s War on Women.

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Koolaid2???

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Are these accidents? Are they trying to adopt a facade of actual journalism? Jealous of MMFA’s relationship with the administration?

What’s the deal?

WeekendAtBernankes on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Cooper to get a call from the WH?

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

War on women –what a joke. Notice on the duped trolls only buy it….down deep they know it is a lie.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Cooper to get a call from the WH and the IRS.

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Fixed .

CW on May 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

STUNNED!!!!

Lying Liars lie when confronted with a lie?

Well then bury me from the squirrels and call me a nut.

PappyD61 on May 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The way Cooper bitch slapped this rube proves that he is homophobic.

Oh wait….

peacenprosperity on May 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Because my job is to report on facts. Not to meet your agenda.

Since when? This is the guy in 2008 who lead into the clip of Rev. Wright saying “No, no, no, it’s not God bless America, it is G** D*** America” with a snide/exasperated “I can’t believe we are even reporting on this.”

Well, I guess now that he’s said it, he can go back to pushing the Obama agenda with a clear conscience.

Dark Star on May 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM

A pig just flew by my window and ted kennedy called to ask if I could loan him a sweater.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Anderson Cooper is a “bow tie’n” silver boy. And I didn’t call him that, just now. Shut up.

2Tru2Tru on May 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Absolutely shocked to see a liberal propaganda spewer actually being called on their twisted fabrications and hypocrisies. Good job Mr. Cooper, and stick it to the Republicans too. We need more of this research and attitude during the evening news. Spin sucks.

Dr. Manhattan on May 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Why are the gay anchors on CNN all of a sudden being journalists? First Don Lemon, now Anderson Cooper.

SouthernGent on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

COOPER: So he’s targeting women.

BAM!!!

monique on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

More proof that CNN is casting off some of its liberal chainage while Fox adds them on.

Thanks for this, Ed.

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Owned

The Notorious G.O.P on May 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

COOPER: So he’s targeting women.

BAM!!!

monique on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I actually expected ruben to respond “only the straight ones”.

Identity politics like we have never seen before – whats for dinner the next 6 months.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Cooper to get a call from the WH and the IRS.

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

dogsoldier on May 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Does this war on women include providing free tampons?

Seriously.

I want to see Obama have a free Kotex moment.

/Alinsky

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

dogsoldier on May 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

If they changed their name to “RNN” I’d still not watch.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Coopers line of questioning definitely surprised me, it’s out of character for him and for the network of course.

Tim Zank on May 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Cooper can expect an IRS audit and canceled invites to tony cocktail parties. How dare he question Big Brother?

Philly on May 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Does this war on women include providing free tampons?

Seriously.

I want to see Obama have a free Kotex moment.

/Alinsky

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I hope someone asks that on the campaighn trail. “SAY! So do we get free kotex and douchebags?”

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

“You know? I wasn’t reallky sure about how I’d vote… until I learned that the Democratic Party would give me free Kotex. I feel much more secure in my vote, now that I have free Kotex”.

/Alinsky

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

COOPER: So he’s targeting women.

Obamabot: “Look!! Romney’s dog!”

BacaDog on May 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Maybe CNN sees the writing on the wall?

dogsoldier on May 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Or they’re rushing in to fill the vacumn left by FOX when FOX finally goes full Lib.

Alabama Infidel on May 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Cooper occasionally shows an independent streak. Remember when that academic “report” came out tarring everyone in the Tea Party as racists? One of the guys that wrote it went on Cooper’s show and Anderson DESTROYED him. Just shredded the guy on every point. It was amazing to see it.

Dack Thrombosis on May 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

SAY! So do we get free kotex and douchebags?”

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

No. Free kotex via Obama. Clooney $3.00 douchebag.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM

/Alinsky

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Free pms pills might garner a few more votes as well.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

h/t to Flora Duh for linking this a few days ago…

… It makes you wonder what kind of a Country we would be living in if we truly did have a free and independent press.

“If the press was doing it’s job, we wouldn’g be +$15 Trillion (now +$16 Trillion) dollars in debt…!” – Andrew Breitbart (RIP)

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

COOPER: Because my job is to report on facts. Not to meet your agenda.

Wow. Maybe they had a meeting to discuss their in the tank ratings and decided that maybe they ought to be a little more fair and balanced. Yea right.

scalleywag on May 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

“random acts of journalism”

lol, that’s rich.

Dr. Manhattan on May 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Cooper to get a call from the WH and the IRS.

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Fixed .

CW on May 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

IRS, Hell. I hope Cooper does not have to fly any time soon. Better fly private for a while, Anderson . . .

BigAlSouth on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

scalleywag on May 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Anderson is going to be on top tonight, that’s all.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Why are the gay anchors on CNN all of a sudden being journalists?

Money. More correctly, audience share. I’ve been wondering how long they could hang on.

People can watch CNN and get the Democratic / Obama agenda 24/7. Or they can go to Kos, HuffPo, or even the DNC itself and get the exact same thing without having to sit through the Depends® ads. Which do they pick? Every ad you wait through is another thirty seconds of your life you’ll never get back, and that’s a cost, a big one. People do notice, eventually.

The media, in general, have tolerated the audience loss from that effect because they are fully-paid-in believers in the Liberal Myth: that when things settle down everybody will agree with them and come back in the fold. Trouble is, even the people who do agree with them are leaving in droves because they offer nothing that can’t be got cheaper elsewhere. They’ll either change or die, and the country in general will be better off either way. Individuals will resist mightily, including some of the managers, but it’s inevitable.

The other side is the Big Story. News networks make their reputation on coverage of the Big Story, the scandal or photogenic occurrence that allows the “correspondents” to stand in front of the conflagration and pontificate while everybody tunes in. That’s why the Trayvon Martin thing — the media need those race riots to jump their ratings, and have done everything they can to promote them. But all the juicy scandals lately have been Democratic, and their agenda won’t let them report those, which leaves them suffering from scandal deficiency anemia. That, too, will get changed, one way or the other.

warlocketx on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What’s the deal?

WeekendAtBernankes on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Is this the beginning of a crack in the wall of favoritism for Obama by CNN? Is CNN beginning to realize that Obama may just lose in his re-election bid? Is this a baby step in the direction of abandoning the progressive slant and a slow drift to center politics? Am I delusional?, or am I hoping too hard?

timberline on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

heh! AC 360 had that dude in a pretzel.

ted c on May 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Free pms pills might garner a few more votes as well.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

She said yes. I think. I’m scared.

BTW, did you know that Hillary wrote her thesis on Saul Alinsky?

Tis true.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I missed this a couple of days ago

You don’t read the comments in the QOTD threads Ed? :-)

Flora Duh on May 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

warlocketx on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

In other words, you can only be outrageously outraged only so many times over Ann’s blouse or Seamus the dog.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

…scandal deficiency anemia.

warlocketx on May 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

LOL!

timberline on May 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Well he’s right about that.

“It’s the economy and we’re not stupid.”

Go RBNY on May 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Hillary’s Ode to Alinsky

This is why she can’t run anymore. Not for office, anyway.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

BTW, did you know that Hillary wrote her thesis on Saul Alinsky?

Tis true.

Key West Reader on May 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Tiger Woods could have cured his sex addiction just with that photo alone.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Let me just echo those who are amazed by Anderson Cooper knowing and then actually doing his job as a reporter. I might stop by and watch once in a while if I thought he had anything honest to say.

magicbeans on May 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

When you’ve lost Anderson Pooper…

Chickyraptor on May 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

The problem are the legislative moves that Republicans are making in various state legislatures to restrict women’s reproductive rights or in the case of Wisconsin, strip women of the right to sue for discrimination in the workplace.

libfreeordie on April 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM

COOPER: So he’s targeting women.

The “war on women” meme, from what I gather, is going to be particularly effective in state house and senate races in swing states.

libfreeordie on April 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

So funny.

rogerb on May 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Coop tore him up but they left the studio together holding hands to go tear something else up.

docflash on May 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Second look at Anderson Vanderbilt-Cooper?

Towash on May 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

magicbeans on May 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Don’t let them fool you. Every minute CNN can waste talking about social issues and debating the validity of “GOP War On __” memes instead of jobs is just fine by Obama.

Go RBNY on May 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

We shouldn’t be having this conversation! That was rich. Have to give Andy some credit where credit is due.

jan3 on May 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

With that jewel of a video, I end my Sunday night news surf with a big smile on my face.

tbrickert on May 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I’m not ready to believe that this is a new CNN. They’ll be back to carrying water for Mr. President tomorrow morning.

scalleywag on May 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

love it!

trailortrash on May 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

SouthernGent on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

The heteros are too busy getting in touch with their feminine side. It’s similar to how conservative women like Bachmann, Palin, Coulter, Malkin and Ingraham have had to step up and show some gonads because the men don’t.

jan3 on May 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

So funny.

rogerb on May 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I hope I never really annoy or piss you off.

*Nice work.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

SouthernGent on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I suppose they see some writing on the wall.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

It’s as if Ruben wasn’t expecting, you know, actual questions.

Of course, there really wasn’t much reason to expect actual questions. The times they are a-changin’.

novaculus on May 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM

But this wasn’t part of the rehearsal!

DarthBrooks on May 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

jan3 on May 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Really? So Breitbart, O’Keefe, Rush, Steyn and our many great male conservative bloggers haven’t shown anything? I’m all for giving our righty sisters their due but let’s be fair.

Go RBNY on May 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Go RBNY on May 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Yep, and don’t leave out our own Ed Morrissey. Often sourced by Rush Limbaugh. Not bad for a former technical writer.

Towash on May 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

leftie tools…………

crosshugger on May 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Wow. AC has done a 180.

Mojave Mark on May 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Go RBNY on May 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM

He’s probably talking about the Bohners, McConnels, Romneys, etc. Yeah, there are some real conservative men in public but they tend to be the exception.

Alabama Infidel on May 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I’m sending this to Attackwatch !!!!111

Ragnar Danneskold on May 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Wow, the guest tard must have felt totally betrayed and blindsided by media he presumed in the tank. The kettle calls the pot on it’s agenda?

BL@KBIRD on May 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

SouthernGent on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

When you’ve lost every viewer but Ted Turner and Jane Fonda…it’s time to change direction…

PatriotRider on May 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

We all need to be Breitbart. There is an opportunity to “share” that video, please do with your social network, and watch all your lib friends pour some tears into their Sun. nite cocktail.

hillsoftx on May 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

SouthernGent on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I suppose they see some writing on the wall.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I was just going to ask, “Does Anderson Cooper have an ‘eeeevil repugnican twin?’” /sarc

…and CW – from your lips to God’s ears, buddy. It would be great to see some of these folks accidentally slip into journalistic standards for a change, just to save face. I’m not holding my breath.

kscheuller on May 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey WAIT!!! I thought we were supposed to be friends here. My publicist told me CNN is the good guys. What’s going on. Why are you asking these nasty questions. No one ever asked me about whats true before. Don’t you have the talking points there in front of you? What happened? Who are you!? I want my lawyer.

RutRoh on May 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I wonder if they’ll keep using Cooper’s voice-over at How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

SagebrushPuppet on May 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Julia and Dilbert had no comment; literally.

AltTuning on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

So funny.

rogerb on May 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I hope I never really annoy or piss you off.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Other than the obvious, the most amusing part is that it’s all just from doing a quick search of the site. You don’t even have to hunt for specific threads or debates. Type in whatever trendy bumpersticker nonsense they’re pushing this month and there are almost always past posts/quotes with contradictions or embarrassments in the first page of the results.

rogerb on May 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I am still dazed over this one. It was an awesome segment, but I just cant believe this was CNN.

Southernblogger on May 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Wow. Great clip.

BocaJuniors on May 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Really? Under my current insurance I get an exam once a year. Under Obamacare I am only allowed an exam every 3 years. Who’s cutting funding again? Not one Republican voted for Obamacare. Not one.

txhsmom on May 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

What the heck would a rainbow boy like Cooper know about women. About the best he could do is shake his booty in a pale imitation.

The cluelessness of the PC crowd is simply stunning.

platypus on May 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

The cluelessness of the PC crowd is simply stunning.

platypus on May 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I’d be willing to bet he knows more about being a woman than me. Just sayin’

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM

COOPER: Because my job is to report on facts. Not to meet your agenda.

Holy cats, did Anderson Cooper just grow a sack?

Caiwyn on May 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

War on Women? Hmmmmm…..Splash Kennedy, John Edwards, Chris Dodd,………….

GarandFan on May 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

One would hope after seeing how easy it is to make an ass out of these zombies, that others would take notice and do the same. Of course that would mean they would have to understand how much worse they look right now due to Cooper!

bluemarlin on May 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

War on Women? Hmmmmm…..Splash Kennedy, John Edwards, Chris Dodd,………….

GarandFan on May 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You forgot clinton. And weiner.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

War on Women? Hmmmmm…..Splash Kennedy, John Edwards, Chris Dodd,………….

GarandFan on May 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You forgot clinton. And weiner.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Add their support for the slaughter of millions of unborn females.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

What did I just see there?

I am confused.

It looked like an actual grilling of a Democrat operative.

roy_batty on May 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Thanks for this, Ed.

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Very true. If CNN were to reposition itself to the right of FNC, which becomes easier by the week, its ratings problems would be over.

bw222 on May 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I didn’t know Anderson Cooper had this in him. I’m pleased to see that he can take on the more egregious leftist dishonesty.

thuja on May 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM

AC45 just got upgraded to AC90 in my book.

ebrawer on May 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Koolaid2???

Electrongod on May 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

…still cutting the lawn…sorry…thought I’d let you go crazy…CW was watching for me…we forgot to tell WeekendAtBernankes.

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM

..and the top brass at CNN… Wow a random act of journalism. Maybe CNN sees the writing on the wall? Their viewership is cratering.

dogsoldier on May 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

..me too! I love this random act of journalism and Ed characterizes it.

DOG SOLDIER: ..ahem..hrumph..hrumph!

WAR PLANNER: ..great minds, separated at birth, stolen thunder, etc.

DOGSOLDIER: Yeah, but I posted at 1853 EDT and yours is almost three hours later!

WAR PLANNER: ..but..but..I..well..um..

*melts down into the functional equivalent of warm lime Jell-o*

The War Planner on May 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’m pleased to see that he can take on the more egregious leftist dishonesty.

thuja on May 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM

..testicles dropping?

The War Planner on May 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

COOPER: Because my job is to report on facts. Not to meet your agenda.

Holy cats, did Anderson Cooper just grow a sack?

Caiwyn on May 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

…I almost lost mine when Anderson Cooper said that!
They say when you do heavy drugs in your youth…you could experience weird flashbacks at times, when you’re older…(Cooper…that is!)

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

So after 3 years CNN is looking at facts? This reminds me of the arsonist that set the fire that forced him to call the fire department that he evenuatally put so that he could become the hero.
Cynical huh?

nicknack60 on May 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Cynical huh?

nicknack60 on May 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I think it all boils down to AC wanting to be on top for a night. He will turn into a wuss next wqeek.

VegasRick on May 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Okay, the interviewer part of me has the first question..Why now?

Anderson may not be the milksop that Olberman is as far as pandering to the Left in the guise of a reporter cum commentator, but it’s gonna take more than this one instance to prove he’s finally gotten some journalistic ethos in his…possession.

I’ll wait for when we get closer to Election night to see if his spine still stays straight.

BlaxPac on May 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Whatever. CNN helped ‘team obama 2012′ create this stupid meme.

Pork-Chop on May 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Second look at Anderson Cooper?

BKennedy on May 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

HOLY CRAP!!

JESUS “TAP-DANCING” CHRIST!

Gloria Vanderbilt’s SON goes for THE MONEY QUOTE!!

WOW!!