The Lonely Guy

posted at 12:31 pm on May 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The first rule of Campaign Club is to pick a venue that produces an overflow crowd.  The second rule of Campaign Club is that the first rule is critically important for the kickoff event.  Barack Obama and his team managed to violate both rules, and Breitbart’s Alexander Marlow noticed:

Barack Obama launched his campaign in unspectacular fashion today at Ohio State University, the largest college in the crucial swing state.  A photo posted to twitter by Mitt Romney’s campaign spokesman Ryan Williams reveals sparse attendance.  The above image, according to Williams, was taken during the President’s first official campaign speech.

Here’s the photo, with lots of open seats:

I haven’t seen that many open seats since the last Starland Vocal Band reunion concert.  Afternoon Delight this isn’t.

Of course, the Obama campaign expected overflow crowds at OSU, according to ABC News:

Four years after “Obamamania” swept college campuses and across the country, we will get a glimpse of what the phenomenon looks like the second time around. The Obama campaign expects overflow crowds at both OSU and VCU as part of carefully orchestrated optics. Aides want to portray the president as still highly popular among young people and still able to energize large crowds.

So much for Obamamania.  Why, I doubt that the campaign had more than two or three fainters in this crowd. They did, however, try rearranging deck chairs on this particular Titanic to make it look as though the ship wasn’t sinking:

But the event fell short of the 20,000 supporters the campaign had forecast as organizers moved people from seats to the arena floor in front of the dais to project fullness to television audiences. Obama volunteers had worked feverishly over the last week to gin up a crowd, making multiple calls to residents believed to be supportive of the president.

Twitter was abuzz with photos and comments about vast areas of empty seats in the arena’s upper deck.

That pretty much sums up this President, doesn’t it?  He projects an image of fullness, but he’s mainly an empty suit.  And four years later, he’s not fooling nearly enough people to succeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

PappyD61 on May 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Obama says, “Merci, beaucoup.”

coldwarrior on May 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You may have been talking about the city of Columbus and the city of Richmond, but your numbers were talking about the Columbus metro area and within the city limits of Richmond. That’s apples and oranges.

bgoldman on May 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Nope, The numbers I used were for the City of Columbus ohio with a population of 787,033. 65.1% of which was white and 28% black. Here’s my source.

If you have a different source please provide a link.

Oldnuke on May 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I don’t even think it would need serious thought.

Dark Star on May 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

:) :) :)

kim roy on May 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

“That pretty much sums up this President, doesn’t it? He projects an image of fullness, but he’s mainly an empty suit.”

Ed, I love your ability to cut to the heart of the matter and sum it up perfectly.

DanaLynn on May 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I have heard ZERO talk about Romney kicking off his campaign. I guess no one cares about that either.

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Well, the race should become exciting as a Conservative has entered the race:

Libertarians nominate Governor Gary Johnson for president

ABL, baby!

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I have heard ZERO talk about Romney being the official Republican nominee. So…

St Gaudens on May 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

The Anti Mitts seriously have not lives. What a sad lot.

CW on May 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Dark Star

So now you’re a mindreader, too. How versatile!

My disappointment (and, I suspect, that of my fellow HA readers) was that obama didn’t bomb as badly in my home town as he did in Columbus.

And anyone who posts about TehOnce [sic], which I take to mean The One, and, mixing his uncanny ESP with his exquisite knowledge of the English language, says I back peddle [sic], by which I think you meant backpedal, should take my advice (not advise; that’s a verb, not a noun, in case you happen to know what those are) and use a dictionary himself.

As Mark Twain famously said, it’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

bgoldman on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It wasn’t a violation they just couldn’t get enough a$$e$ in the seats. Every community organizer learns this rule first thing and they must have had the turnout but people just didn’t show. More telling then them not doing their job.

Herb on May 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I checked, and yes, OSU is in the middle of their spring term. Amazing they could not fill that arena with a huge university in session.

WannabeAnglican on May 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Was this on Saturday? Cause I know the thing I was really dying to do on Saturday nights when I was in college was go to a political rally for a has-been.

Hosanna on May 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

bgoldman on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Your home town is Richmond, right? Where do you live now?

Oldnuke on May 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM

“The above image, according to Williams, was taken during the President’s first official campaign speech.”

ha ha ha look at the bullsh*t photo taken before the rally even started.

Obama drew 14,000+.

Oh, gee – a video of the actual start of the rally.

Oh, gee, look at the 8 second mark. The floor is packed to the back.

The story you link to about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic clearly states
“Obama addressed a boisterous crowd of 14,000 in the 20,000 seat Schottenstein Center at Ohio State University”

14000.

Out of 20000 capacity

Those nosebleed seats are empty. Those are the 6000.

Ed why would you post such a misleading story?

Dave Rywall on May 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Dave Rywall on May 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Come again?

Arnold Yabenson on May 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Those nosebleed seats are empty. Those are the 6000.

Ed why would you post such a misleading story?

Dave Rywall on May 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The nosebleed seats up behind the podium are full for photographic purposes. Zero’s campaign people made people assemble on the floor to make the place look full, but it didn’t work at either arena.

The fact he bombed must be really burning you up.

bgoldman on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He didn’t do particularly well in Richmond by any real measure. His actual attendance there was not really much more than 6700.

As I asked before, how many hundreds of media people were there?
How many hundreds of campaign staff were there?
How many union people were there?
How many cops were there?
How many arena staff were there?

The arena only holds 7500 according to the arena website. The photographs I linked show hundreds of empty seats.

He could not fill the teeny arena in Richmond. That’s bombing.

dogsoldier on May 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn’t bite

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/afternoondelightlyrics.html

8thAirForce on May 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I did a little homework here:

And Ohio State has an enrollment of over 55,000 at their Columbus campus. They are indeed in the midst of their Spring term.

That the Obama campaign did not come close to filling up that arena says volumes about what has happened to the enthusiasm of youth for The One.

WannabeAnglican on May 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

DannoJyd on May 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Last time I turned on the tube, CNN and MSNBC were both broadcasting a speech by Moochelle.

Romney will need lot$ of $$$ to get his me$$age acro$$, with (at least) two major networks actively campaigning for Obama.

Steve Z on May 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I was so there in spirit. As it turns out I picked the wrong day.

sdbatboy on May 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Mostly full of newsies that support Obama.

dahni on May 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

These young minds full of mush are just foolish enough to think they can vote twice — once in their hometowns and again wherever they are attending college.

So we ought to be alert to any signals that the OFA campaign sends to young “voters” that they ought to vote “early and often”.

J Baustian on May 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Steyn, better than his usual best.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Severely funny.

Portia46 on May 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM

What young person wouldn’t want to spend time listening to a dull, predictable and throroughly worn out speech/speaker?

NoDonkey on May 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Resist We Much on May 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I might be a little naive but that sign has a question mark at the end. What’s his point? Are we sure he is not one of the grown-ups?

CW on May 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I think he was just an idiot and thought he should phrase it as a question, not a statement.

PastorJon on May 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I’m actually suprised Ed didn’t point out that this campaign for the 2012 election started November 6, 2008 . . . . That this was a “kick off” is a complete joke. He’s already travelled for campaing speeches more than all other presidents combined . . .

PastorJon on May 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Those nosebleed seats are empty. Those are the 6000.

Ed why would you post such a misleading story?

Dave Rywall on May 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The fact he bombed must be really burning you up.

bgoldman on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

As I asked before, how many hundreds of media people were there?
How many hundreds of campaign staff were there?
How many union people were there?
How many cops were there?
How many arena staff were there?

He could not fill the teeny arena in Richmond. That’s bombing.

dogsoldier on May 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM
——
So you’re telling us that they shuffled 14,000 people around to make the arena look super full and then shuffled them back so they could have the speeches? DO you have any idea how long that would take, you clown?

You didn’t watch the youtube link I provided, did you. Lower bowl = full = 14000 people. Not a bomb.

There is nobody at all in the nosebleed seats behind the podium.

Look at the floor space in the video. It’s packed. The photo Ed posted is obviously a shot from before the event started, since my link shows the beginning of the rally, and the floor is full.

Such misleading (typical) bullshit from Hotair. It’s just surprising Ed is the one who put it out there.

Dave Rywall on May 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

There is nobody at all in the nosebleed seats behind the podium.

Dave Rywall on May 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I guess you missed all the up angle photos of your messiah in Ohio. No dopey, they packed the area up behind the podium and the floor in front of the podium. The rest of the place shown in the pic on Drudge was pretty empty.

Zero tried that same tactic in Virginia. The only one full of crap around here is you Dave. Your messiah bombed at both events. He didn’t come close to filling either one.

Especially sad, since VCU only holds 7500. His campaign must be crapping their pants.

dogsoldier on May 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM

What happened? They forgot to notify the SEIU halls to pack the audience?

prkw on May 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Well, the MSM said Glen beck had 60,000 at his “Restoring Honor” rally…easy to see how they got to that number…just look at the pictures…

Strike Hornet on May 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Really? I thought he launched his campaign in January 2009 and has merely ramped it up lately.

Big John on May 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM