Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on May 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Barack Obama launched a new phase of his re-election campaign on Saturday by branding GOP challenger Mitt Romney as an eager rubber stamp for extremist Republicans in Congress and offering himself as a hard-charging champion of an embattled middle class.

In the first formal rallies of his bid for a second term, Obama acknowledged the U.S. economy has struggled to recover from a painfully deep recession but declared, “We’ve been through too much to turn back now.”…

“After a long and spirited primary, Republicans in Congress have found a nominee for president who has promised to rubber stamp this agenda if he gets a chance,” he said to jeers from the young crowd. “We cannot give him that chance. Not now. Not with so much at stake.”

***

[T]he Romney campaign wants the election to be a referendum on the president, thus making the incumbent’s management style a focal point of the race. Team Obama, however, wants the sharpest contrast before voters to be the wide gulf between the parties’ core beliefs, in part to stoke fears that a Republican-run White House would roll back the clock on ingrained social reforms.

And so the president targets congressional Republicans to underscore how extreme he believes the GOP has become, while Romney drills down on Obama’s relative lack of executive experience and leaves the rest of the Democratic Party alone. In part, the strategies make sense for both sides, as one is trying to oust an embattled incumbent, but it also is a reminder of the Democratic Party’s broader reach right now compared to the GOP’s smaller tent…

Offering his own advice to the Obama campaign, he suggested, “Voters need to see Romney and House Republicans for what they are — Siamese twins.”

***

The gathering often takes place after Mr. Obama’s regular Sunday round of golf, and while the atmosphere is casual, the agenda is anything but: keeping the president immersed in what it will take to win a second term. He receives an update on how his operation is expanding in battleground states, he watches previews of television ads and he studies a presentation on his various paths to victory…

Mr. Obama, who three years ago became the first president to demand a BlackBerry to keep in touch with the outside world, has now become the first sitting president to rely on an iPad to stay informed. He watches campaign commercials, offering his seal of approval to the first wave of advertisements to be used against Mr. Romney, and he follows his rival through newspaper articles and blogs…

They say he is intensely motivated to win not only because of his personal legacy and the historic nature of his presidency. He also sees a second term as essential, they said, to ensuring that key policies like his national health care law, which could be overthrown by the Supreme Court, are not wiped from the books.

***

In other speeches, Obama has offered a more serious preview of what he’d like to get done if he’s reelected. On March 30, he listed second-term priorities including reforming the immigration system; remaking the nation’s energy policy so it addresses “the long-term challenges. . . . of energy independence and climate change”; doing more to ensure that “people who don’t have work can find work” and that “our housing system is working for everybody”; pushing forward on education reform; and executing an “effective transition out of Afghanistan.”

But that’s not really a list of what Obama would do in his second term. It’s a list of what he would like to do…

In 2008, his campaign often seemed to believe that as president, Obama would be able to personally inaugurate a new era of cooperation in Washington. But after the past three years, which have been full of debt-ceiling showdowns they didn’t want and jobs bills they couldn’t pass, his advisers have become more realistic and are quick to caution that, in most cases, what they could get done in a second term would depend on what Congress is willing to do with them.

***

President Barack Obama’s dinner with George Clooney has officially sold out, and campaign sources are telling The Hollywood Reporter that the event is expected to raise up to $12 million for the president’s re-election bid, making it the biggest presidential fundraiser in U.S. history

The packed dinner at Clooney’s house will bring in $5 million to $6 million for the president’s campaign coffers, sources told THR. The demand for tickets at the event was so great that organizers tried to limit the guest list to those living in Southern California.

The Obama campaign also has been conducting an online sweepstakes, with the winner to receive two seats at the head table with the chief executive and Clooney. Campaign sources tell THR that that tally of online donations could hit $6 million, bringing the total raised to about $12 million. The winner of the contest is expected to be announced in the coming days.

***

President Obama has held just one full length, multi-topic, solo press conference in the last six months, effectively abolishing the most accessible venue for American citizens to observe the thinking and learn the views of their leader…

Of course, Obama has switched almost fully from governing to campaigning. So maybe the need for a West Wing gut check has declined, since policy is mostly being made not in Washington but in Chicago. The home, of course, of the Obama 2012 campaign.

***

Romney’s problem with the electoral map is NOT Mitt Romney. But it is his problem in that the attitude and composition of the voting electorate is trending away from what the Republicans, as a brand, have traditionally stood for — less government, traditional values, taking charge of your own destiny, strong defense, God, family and apple pie…

Looking back, based on how much the demographic composition of the nation had changed, there are studies (by Democrat think tanks) that conclude John Kerry in 2004 and even Michael Dukakis in 1988 would have won the White House if they faced the same electorate then that President Obama is facing this November. The Democrats know that today’s demographics are their destiny.

I wish I had better news to report but based on the 10 reasons cited above I conclude that President George W. Bush and President Millard Fillmore might just have something in common.

Fillmore in 1850 was the last Whig Party president and Bush re-elected in 2004 might be the last Republican Party president.

***

Inside Romney’s Boston headquarters, strategists — who have pored over polling and census data and studied state-by-state vote breakdowns from the past three presidential elections — say they see a number of ways for Romney to win 270 electoral votes…

Their overall optimism is based on the assessment that Obama’s big electoral vote victory was predicated on the enthusiasm he generated in 2008, which they say is now largely gone. In states such as North Carolina and Virginia, for instance, Obama won in part by achieving vote edges among 18- to 25-year-olds, Hispanics and African Americans. But Romney’s strategists do not believe Obama can match those levels this year.

“They changed the composition of the electorate and they won by big margins,” said Romney pollster Neil Newhouse. “The problem in ’12 is there just isn’t the enthusiasm. The bloom is off the rose.”

***

If the carefully choreographed kick off was any indication, Obama will face some challenges in recapturing the 2008 magic — especially among young voters who weathered three years of souring job prospects and rising college costs.

The campaign was only able to muster 14,000 supporters in an arena designed to hold more than 18,000. Several thousand empty seats ringed its upper deck, mostly out of view from the cameras…

The campaign had made an aggressive push to fill the cavernous arena, and turnout fell well short of Obama’s fall 2010 campus rally, which attracted an estimated 30,000 people to the campus quad…

“It’s still about hope,” he told the crowd. “It’s still about change.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Very nice..This is awesome also..:)

PS..I guess it is emotional to some!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Amen..Hear!..Hear!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM

America’s Cup went from no televised coverage to over covered then fell off the map when it got overly commercialized.

cozmo on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

..hyper-tangential and O.T. but if you want to read a good detective story involving the America’s Cup, pick up Wambaugh’s “Floaters”.

It’s a lot of fun.

The War Planner on May 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I was just in the right place at the right time. Kind of like Mario Gutierrez and I’ll Have Another. ;)

Like what you did there.

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I’M BARACK OBAMA AND I’M GOING TO TALK REAL LOUD IN THE EFFORT TO CONVINCE YOU THAT I AM ACTUALLY SAYING SOMETHING!

profitsbeard on May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Well said. Thank you. Mr. Gutierrez and I’ll Have Another made me happy today—just because he was grateful to have his hard work pay off at a young age and love being in America. You don’t get noticed if you’re a dip. Oh wait, unless you are the president.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Don’t know how long you’ve been a race fan, but does the name Laffit Pincay ring a bell? He had 9,530 career wins. He came here from Panama. Didn’t speak a word of English. Did he ask for a government program to help him assimilate to our culture? No he did not.

Do you know how Pincay learned English? He taught himself the language by watching…Jeopardy.

His son is now a commentator on HRTV.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

OK, I’ve been gone all day, so who, here in HA, made the “change” in the first sentence of Jehmu Greene’s Wiki page?

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Made my day!…for a graduation commencement speaker today they had a lady from the ACLU that clerked for Ginsberg…talking about social injustice, Trayvon Martin, yahda and etc. The graduates were clapping, but not too many of the parents were. I expected an uplifting speech about this class that was graduating and folks were mumbling amongst each other how they thought her rambling was inappropriate. My wife was holding onto my arm since she was afraid I would stand up and shout “YOU LIE!…in the auditorium…
It put me in a sour mood…I just showed my other two kids the Wiki piece and the Fox piece…and back to the Wiki piece…I’m laughing now…because they are cracking up five minutes later…with their friends!

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Run for The Roses–Another version. Thanks for reminding me, ziff.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Outstanding. Song never gets old. I also like
good old times

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Must read for the evening.

Mark Steyn better than the usual best.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

lolz..Good point..very good point..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

profitsbeard on May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

“But I still lie every time my lips move” — Obama

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Is the lawschool @ the Lakeshore campus?
If so-warn your daughter not to go too far west on Devon w/out a male friend. west Devon is home to a HUGE islamist population. There’s an orthodox Jewish neighborhood farther west on Devon-but you’ve got brave the jihadis to get to it.
*for a short time in 2008 we lived on Hoyne-just south of Devon*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Just read that she is at the Chicago campus. Good! Devon–yep, stay away. There was a shooting there last week. Chicago campus–send a debit card with a fixed limit–Nordstrom is within walking distance! Good luck to her, how proud you must be, KA2!

herm2416 on May 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The link still works for me. Go to Gateway Pundit. Hussein knew the location of bin Laden in the summer of 2010. It took him at least 8 months to get around to making his “gutsy call”.

This is devastating if handled correctly.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Thanky.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The link still works for me. Go to Gateway Pundit. Obama knew bin laden’s location in the summer of 2010. He waited at least 8 months before he gave the order to kill.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thanky.

LOL I could do this dance all night!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Very nice..This is awesome also..:)

PS..I guess it is emotional to some!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Thank you. I loved it.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Very nice..This is awesome also..:)

PS..I guess it is emotional to some!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You always make me laugh or think. I get teary easily myself but I think Lenny had a couple. Old Kentucky Home—while quite a nice song, just ain’t America the Beautiful or Amazing Grace.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ahh memories..Folberg was one of those cassettes you kept hid from your friends that you only pulled out when you had a date with a girl..Then you find out years later that everyone of your friends had a cassette of his music too that they kept hid..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Yes I think you are right..Lenny may have had a couple..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Steyn is one of the best..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

A great song. Churchill Downs has an event called the Stephen Foster Handicap, a Grade 1 race at 9 furlongs with an undercard of about 4 or 5 Grade 2s in the middle of June. Stephen Foster wrote My Old Kentucky Home.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Let’s see. We had Dolores Huerta at one of minezez and an “African libation” ceremony at another. Good thing I’m paralyzed and cant go to another. OK, I’m not but I’ll figure out something. Truck driver in Afghanistan?

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Obama launches his campaign on the anniversary of Karl Marx Birthday.
Coincidence? FORWARD!

Karl Heinrich Marx (5 May 1818 – 14 March 1883)

Kjeil on May 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

My Old Kentucky Home as it was originally written. (It was an instrumental, words were added later.)

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Yes I think you are right..Lenny may have had a couple..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Most likely. But I have to say even though I’ve only been there twice, it is pretty emotional. 150,000 souls singing their hearts out prior to the most exciting two minutes in sports. Yeah.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Arnold
you freaked me out, I was trying to figure out how you can karate chop if your paralyzed …..
please don’t do that………

angrymike on May 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Julia would betray you if she was a real person.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

He’s way yesterday. How about a rittle Emmylou for you

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I just hope and pray Obama loses the Freakness this year.

John the Libertarian on May 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I agree..It is awesome..I would love to witness it one time myself..One of the great traditions of sports..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I just hope and pray Obama loses the Freakness this year.

John the Libertarian on May 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Lolz..Good one!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Julia would betray you if she was a real person.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Wait a minute..Sandra Fluke is NOT Julia??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FYI, please give a note as to who each quote is from. I clicked on one link and found I had given more traffic to Ezra Klein’s credit. And frankly, that makes me sick. The prevaricating swine shouldn’t be allowed to post pictures of missing children on milk cartons, and here you are bolstering his pundit credentials by boosting his web traffic.

Zumkopf on May 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

It was Gilligan’s fault they never got off the island.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Julia would betray you if she was a real person.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

The JULIA will betray you.

*King_Gold*

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Wait a minute..Sandra Fluke is NOT Julia??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Well Dave thinks so but he is usually wrong when he is here. (:

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM

No doubt. That is why I got choked up with Gutierrez. He knows he died and went to heaven and meanwhile libs keep trying to change this country. Makes a pig go effin crazy. I love the flag, the anthem and am so proud to be an American. I guess I haven’t been abused enough—well I have, as the dems keep finding ways to rough me up every year and not in a good way.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

My sides are still hurting from your link to the Steyn article. Hilarious.

Thanks for posting!

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Wrong.
True_King.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The land of opportunity. They know it. What a shame that half of this country doesn’t know it. Or just wants to deny it.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The JULIA will betray you.

*King_Gold*

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Lolz. Good thing I cheated on her before she cheated on me.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Well Dave thinks so but he is usually wrong when he is here. (:

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

rofl..:)

PS..Speaking of which..Has anyone seen canopfor or Dave??..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Hello alt..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

He’s way yesterday. How about a rittle Emmylou for you

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Well, since we’re in a “gal singing about Kentucky theme.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I’m glad to see that you have allowed Cozmo to live with just a nasty flesh wound instead of total dismemberment.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hello alt..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I shouldn’t even be up-but I don’t sleep well the night before 0500 shifts.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Wrong.
True_King.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Thanks for the correction, m’lady of the deep blue sea. I knew it was something like that.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Zumkopf on May 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

If you put your mouse pointer over the link without clicking on it, you should see the website link at the bottom left of your browser (also works with the time stamps on every comment as well as the page numbers here on HotAir, and all other links).

That way, you can see exactly which site you will be accessing and then decide or not whether you want to go to it. Should cut down on Ezra’s traffic. :)

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Spawn’s last day of high school is Friday.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Since we’re into the horse thing, and mellow tunes.

Wildfire.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

In the early 1990′s that song was nominated by a Dave Barry reader for his list of worst songs.
So said reader: Break a leg, Wildfire!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

So Twermaids do exist.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Good read, thx for the link.

bazil9 on May 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM

arnold knows Laffit Pincay. Doris had him watch Jeopardy with her while she had coffee.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

So Twermaids do exist.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Twerpzelzebub right now.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Sure is an awesome full moon..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

So said reader: Break a leg, Wildfire!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The reader was probably a Marylin Manson fan.

Did Barry have a response?

Seriously, Break a leg Wildfire? I’d like to break the neck of “reader.” He, she, it deserves as much.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

herm2416 on May 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

…thanks!…for a girl who was going to get tossed out of the house 4 years before…(alarms on her room and windows so she couldn’t sneak out at night, etc.)…she was in the top 10%…and the old man was having a tough time…hoping he wouldn’t get in touch with his feminine side…and start crying! I did that once before after she had been at school a few months…and called me ‘just to talk’…I lost it in the car and forgot my son was sitting next to me…He said…”DAD!…quit being such a Chick!”

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

did you say…Jeopardy?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Since we’re into the horse thing, and mellow tunes.

Wildfire.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I liked Wildfire song—except dude, stay in the barn. There’s trouble out there.

She said No, it ain’t happenin.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Huh? Accomplishing nothing except outpacing all other presidents in accumulation of debt?

Some “legacy”.

GarandFan on May 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The reader thought that Murphey was an idiot because a killing frost kills plants-not horses.
THAT was their point.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

did you say…Jeopardy?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Why yes I did you naughty little Chicago girl.

one of the best episodes

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

THAT was their point.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM

It also refers to a blizzard, which can kill any living thing, it one gets lost in it.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I liked Wildfire song—except dude, stay in the barn. There’s trouble out there.

She said No, it ain’t happenin.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Just heard that on a local FM station for the first time in a long time.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

it=if *dammit*

predator on May 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

This one was better.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Commie Punk. As I’ve said since Spring 2008.

And he’s still a Commie Punk….add Chicago Way Political Hack Commie Punk, and it’s “Danger, Will Robinson”!

Who is John Galt on May 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

For the few out there who may have a question about the moon..:)

PS..Awesome tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

To commemorate the moon AND the Derby…

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

This one was better.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM

He ain’t a wolf or a blitz. Metrosexual wanna be me male—makes way more income than me but I’d rather be me. Now, I could use a few more dollars to accustom me to the life of which I would like to be accustomed to.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Greatest moon song ever written. We’re going to be sorry we didn’t let Newt build that base.

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Mark Steyn better than the usual best.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM

…gawd that was funny!

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM

One of my favorites.

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

+ 100..Awesome voice..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM

lolz..I agree the song is awesome..Newt’s moon colony not so much..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

As long as my horses have beer, they don’t care about anything else.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM

The album’s the same age as Paul Ryan.*I was born the same year-but in the fall*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Spawn used to LOVE that song. I don’t like ‘country’.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Spawn used to LOVE that song. I don’t like ‘country’.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Good for Spawn. He’s got potential. ;)

I can listen to just about anything but opera or rap/hip-hop.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

This election could well be the last chance the nation and America has to reclaim our heritage of Conservative tradition of liberty.

Speakup on May 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Heh. That’s great. I’m a bit ::: ahem ::: older than you both. I was 12 in 1970, but for some reason that year and 1971 live pretty intensely in my memory and I have a great affinity for a lot of the music from those two years.

Moondance was released the month I was born, in February 1970.

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Here is a little Blue Moon if you can handle it..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I’ve had it. Gotta go to bed. ‘Night all.

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I bid you all a good night. I am falling asleep on my keyboard.

See you all tomorrow. :)

PatriotGal2257 on May 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Hows about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlg0whpE31k Elvis or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIVi_Oa4as Natasha

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Didn’t know that one. Or the artist. Funny reading some of the comments: “old school…” “old country…” “the old music…” From 1986. And here I was thinking Merle Haggard and Charlie Pride were “old school”… but then Conley has more in common with them than with now. Soulful.

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

predator on May 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Enjoyed it Friend..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Here is a little Blue Moon if you can handle it..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM

good one. Did you see when that lady got on the dial wall phone? My daughter, born in 87 had friends who didn’t know how to use one when they were 8-10.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Check this one out..Talking about tugging on your heart strings..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

lolz..I hear you..Those phones are becoming rare..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Check this one out..Talking about tugging on your heart strings..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

He’s country, all right. From what I’ve been able to discern about late-nite QOTD demographics, you’re going to have half the guys streaming tears in their beers, and half the ladies seething. Or vice versa.

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Obama draws less than HALF the crowd to his big reelection kickoff than he had at a rally at the same site in 2010? And people think he is going to be reelected?

Adjoran on May 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

That is what makes it QOTD..Many twists and turns..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Check this one out..Talking about tugging on your heart strings..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Dire, that just ain’t right. Next you’ll play “One more poke for the good times”–Ray Price
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZKIX0ICZo or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWp5WlvzMMc—Linda's better but I still luvs you.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Turning from country, and turning in, but still on the moon. Good night, all.

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Nice..Let’s kick it up a few notches..Awesome guitar here..:)

PS..I think I wore out this cassette..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

This is totally off thread and and even off-off thread seeing as it’s non-musical, but…

Last Wednesday, I and some others vehemently disagreed with Dustin Siggins’ post: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/05/02/time-to-change-pro-life-tactics/

I just saw something at Jill Stanek’s (she’s the former nurse who found that Chicago hospitals were “shelving” babies to die if they survived abortions and then later went toe to toe against Obama when he was in the IL legislature on the IL Born Alive Infant Protection Act).

Anywho, she writes:

I usually don’t post my opinion when asking weekend questions but frankly, Siggins’ op ed ticked me off, and I can’t contain myself.

First, just about all of his premises were wrong. Second, he caricatured/generalized pro-lifers, just as someone on the Left would. Third, I wondered at points which pro-life movement Siggins was looking at. He does not appear to be involved in pro-life activism. He wrote like an uninformed outsider who certainly doesn’t have his finger on the pulse of the movement.

Since Jill knows in detail what goes on at the national level, it was nice to have our reactions and opinions vindicated!

INC on May 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

lol. You are my go to guy. According to the HA fun police we don’t have a life. I can tell without ever meeting most any here by their writings they have quite the life. My wife thinks I’m looking at porn.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

de rigueur on May 6, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

For the few out there who may have a question about the moon..:)

PS..Awesome tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Check out the live version

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM