Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on May 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Barack Obama launched a new phase of his re-election campaign on Saturday by branding GOP challenger Mitt Romney as an eager rubber stamp for extremist Republicans in Congress and offering himself as a hard-charging champion of an embattled middle class.

In the first formal rallies of his bid for a second term, Obama acknowledged the U.S. economy has struggled to recover from a painfully deep recession but declared, “We’ve been through too much to turn back now.”…

“After a long and spirited primary, Republicans in Congress have found a nominee for president who has promised to rubber stamp this agenda if he gets a chance,” he said to jeers from the young crowd. “We cannot give him that chance. Not now. Not with so much at stake.”

***

[T]he Romney campaign wants the election to be a referendum on the president, thus making the incumbent’s management style a focal point of the race. Team Obama, however, wants the sharpest contrast before voters to be the wide gulf between the parties’ core beliefs, in part to stoke fears that a Republican-run White House would roll back the clock on ingrained social reforms.

And so the president targets congressional Republicans to underscore how extreme he believes the GOP has become, while Romney drills down on Obama’s relative lack of executive experience and leaves the rest of the Democratic Party alone. In part, the strategies make sense for both sides, as one is trying to oust an embattled incumbent, but it also is a reminder of the Democratic Party’s broader reach right now compared to the GOP’s smaller tent…

Offering his own advice to the Obama campaign, he suggested, “Voters need to see Romney and House Republicans for what they are — Siamese twins.”

***

The gathering often takes place after Mr. Obama’s regular Sunday round of golf, and while the atmosphere is casual, the agenda is anything but: keeping the president immersed in what it will take to win a second term. He receives an update on how his operation is expanding in battleground states, he watches previews of television ads and he studies a presentation on his various paths to victory…

Mr. Obama, who three years ago became the first president to demand a BlackBerry to keep in touch with the outside world, has now become the first sitting president to rely on an iPad to stay informed. He watches campaign commercials, offering his seal of approval to the first wave of advertisements to be used against Mr. Romney, and he follows his rival through newspaper articles and blogs…

They say he is intensely motivated to win not only because of his personal legacy and the historic nature of his presidency. He also sees a second term as essential, they said, to ensuring that key policies like his national health care law, which could be overthrown by the Supreme Court, are not wiped from the books.

***

In other speeches, Obama has offered a more serious preview of what he’d like to get done if he’s reelected. On March 30, he listed second-term priorities including reforming the immigration system; remaking the nation’s energy policy so it addresses “the long-term challenges. . . . of energy independence and climate change”; doing more to ensure that “people who don’t have work can find work” and that “our housing system is working for everybody”; pushing forward on education reform; and executing an “effective transition out of Afghanistan.”

But that’s not really a list of what Obama would do in his second term. It’s a list of what he would like to do…

In 2008, his campaign often seemed to believe that as president, Obama would be able to personally inaugurate a new era of cooperation in Washington. But after the past three years, which have been full of debt-ceiling showdowns they didn’t want and jobs bills they couldn’t pass, his advisers have become more realistic and are quick to caution that, in most cases, what they could get done in a second term would depend on what Congress is willing to do with them.

***

President Barack Obama’s dinner with George Clooney has officially sold out, and campaign sources are telling The Hollywood Reporter that the event is expected to raise up to $12 million for the president’s re-election bid, making it the biggest presidential fundraiser in U.S. history

The packed dinner at Clooney’s house will bring in $5 million to $6 million for the president’s campaign coffers, sources told THR. The demand for tickets at the event was so great that organizers tried to limit the guest list to those living in Southern California.

The Obama campaign also has been conducting an online sweepstakes, with the winner to receive two seats at the head table with the chief executive and Clooney. Campaign sources tell THR that that tally of online donations could hit $6 million, bringing the total raised to about $12 million. The winner of the contest is expected to be announced in the coming days.

***

President Obama has held just one full length, multi-topic, solo press conference in the last six months, effectively abolishing the most accessible venue for American citizens to observe the thinking and learn the views of their leader…

Of course, Obama has switched almost fully from governing to campaigning. So maybe the need for a West Wing gut check has declined, since policy is mostly being made not in Washington but in Chicago. The home, of course, of the Obama 2012 campaign.

***

Romney’s problem with the electoral map is NOT Mitt Romney. But it is his problem in that the attitude and composition of the voting electorate is trending away from what the Republicans, as a brand, have traditionally stood for — less government, traditional values, taking charge of your own destiny, strong defense, God, family and apple pie…

Looking back, based on how much the demographic composition of the nation had changed, there are studies (by Democrat think tanks) that conclude John Kerry in 2004 and even Michael Dukakis in 1988 would have won the White House if they faced the same electorate then that President Obama is facing this November. The Democrats know that today’s demographics are their destiny.

I wish I had better news to report but based on the 10 reasons cited above I conclude that President George W. Bush and President Millard Fillmore might just have something in common.

Fillmore in 1850 was the last Whig Party president and Bush re-elected in 2004 might be the last Republican Party president.

***

Inside Romney’s Boston headquarters, strategists — who have pored over polling and census data and studied state-by-state vote breakdowns from the past three presidential elections — say they see a number of ways for Romney to win 270 electoral votes…

Their overall optimism is based on the assessment that Obama’s big electoral vote victory was predicated on the enthusiasm he generated in 2008, which they say is now largely gone. In states such as North Carolina and Virginia, for instance, Obama won in part by achieving vote edges among 18- to 25-year-olds, Hispanics and African Americans. But Romney’s strategists do not believe Obama can match those levels this year.

“They changed the composition of the electorate and they won by big margins,” said Romney pollster Neil Newhouse. “The problem in ’12 is there just isn’t the enthusiasm. The bloom is off the rose.”

***

If the carefully choreographed kick off was any indication, Obama will face some challenges in recapturing the 2008 magic — especially among young voters who weathered three years of souring job prospects and rising college costs.

The campaign was only able to muster 14,000 supporters in an arena designed to hold more than 18,000. Several thousand empty seats ringed its upper deck, mostly out of view from the cameras…

The campaign had made an aggressive push to fill the cavernous arena, and turnout fell well short of Obama’s fall 2010 campus rally, which attracted an estimated 30,000 people to the campus quad…

“It’s still about hope,” he told the crowd. “It’s still about change.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

AYDS???

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Funny, very good. I wonder why they pulled the candy and commercials?

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Superior weight-loss results from same-sounding competitor?

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Bunch of stupid bow-tyin white boys!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

OK, I’ve been gone all day, so who, here in HA, made the “change” in the first sentence of Jehmu Greene’s Wiki page?

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

defense contractor cronies

What year did Murtha become a Repub?

marinetbryant on May 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Loyola Chicago.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

What’s wrong with Loyola Marymount? I guess you learn something everyday.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Sorry that I misunderstood.

Resist We Much on May 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

No problem. Considering there is already one libtroll active on the thread and I haven’t been around that long, understandable.

farsighted on May 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

ALT
YOU…… I’ll be 47 at the end of the month, my father only made 48, how you think I feel???????

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Good for you. And I know quite a few 18 year olds who will be pulling the lever for Obama so what is your point?

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

…there is smart…and then there’s dumb! We know…WHO YOU KNOW!…pretty easy!

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I CARE-becuase it’s young voters like my son-who don’t need nor WANT to have big brother wipe their asses for them-that are going to help right the USS American.
My son was raised to think for himself. He doesn’t need the government to do it for him.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Awesome, how the heck can you make a change like that?

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Obama couldn’t even fill half of a gym in his “first big rally”. The youths (ewts for you my cousin Vinny fans), have wised up to this charlatan-in-chief.

Rovin on May 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

The Republicans will wander the desert for 40 years! — Carville
We will hold the House and make gains! — Pelosi
It’s different this time because you’ve got me! — Obama

The Dems are going to get creamed, and they know it. Hence the kvetching and distractions such as Teh War on Womynz.

John the Libertarian on May 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’m a former chicagoan-so when Koolaid mentioned ‘Loyola’-I knew.
Lincoln Park is just north of the Mag’ Mile and the Gold Coast.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Lowereastslide
Ya the only ones who will vote for Bammy, 18 year olds and ppl on the government teet………….

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Awesome, how the heck can you make a change like that?

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

…he works for NBC?

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hoop
did you do that….roflmmfao………:-)

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

To the Left, Romney is a right-wing extremist and Obama is a “moderate centrist.”

Resist We Much on May 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If you read comments by Washington Post readers, that’s exactly what they are saying. The Post columnists and readers really seem to have a problem with the likely outcome of the Indiana Senate primary.

bw222 on May 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Lowereastslide

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Unfortunately, the ones on the teat are getting ever nearer to 50%. At that point, this nation is in serious trouble.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

…he works for NBC?

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM

lol. Very good, way past my internet capabilities. I’m still at smiley face icons.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Predator
Your exactly right, when I try to explain this to certain working democRATS they look at me like I am an alien ………….

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Unfortunately, what the Dem political analysts are saying is true. It’s far harder for the GOP to win now with the influx of so many immigrants, many of whom have joined the line for free stuff and others who have emigrated from socialistic countries. In 2008 the ignorant voted in record numbers.

bw222 on May 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

We’re effed. But on a lighter note did you see Lava Man giving some pointers to I’ll Have Another? Great race, nice story $11k colt worked out. Trainer said, “yeah they don’t all go that way.”

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’m getting these Dewhurst scare ads at the top of the page.
Effers.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Hoop
did you do that….roflmmfao………:-)

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Not me. But I just sent a heads up to Ed and Allah to get a screen cap.

Everybody else should screen cap it too; it’s a classic edit.

Treacher ought to get on this one… em-m-m-m, unless he did it.;-)

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM

We’re effed.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

One of the most competitive fields in a long time, but some were surprisingly disappointing. I still don’t understand why Bodemeister went so fast so early. The Trinniberg people made no secret that they wanted the lead. Let ‘em have it. If Bode takes it a little slower early on he may have taken it.

But yeah, Congrats to Doug O’Neill and J. Paul Reddam. Great story. O’Neill was jumping up and down like wild as IHA started moving down the stretch.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

“branding GOP challenger Mitt Romney as an eager rubber stamp for extremist Republicans in Congress”
Pretty strong “new speak” coming from the man who’s party controlled congress voted 100% for a health care bill that may be unconstitutional, not seen by any one and may not even have been written yet. The Dem’s have become a socialist party willing to say and do anything to maintain the Party’s elite. Wake up to what they are saying and doing. It’s a good thing to have a difference of opinion BUT it is a bad thing to have the counter opinion based on lies, fabrications. and misdirections. If your child did this to you, they would be punished. The Dem’s are acting like children, WE need to act like grown-ups and show them some parenteral guidance.

jpcpt03 on May 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I forgot about Lava Man. I can just hear it: “Now take it from an old former claiming horse, son. Just run your race and don’t let the hoopla get to ya.” :)

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

You and Dire’s talk last night got me pumped. I studied up. I don’t know much but it seemed like they ran Bodemeister a little hard.
I have a question. Why are the race horses nipping at or talking with their assistant pony?
I went to a thoroughbred race in Seattle area during my Army time and loved it. Those horses are big but with relatively thin legs.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Hoop
well I hope Tucker sees it, maybe he’ll learn from it……….. still laughing …….

angrymike on May 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That’s gold Jerry! Gold!

Spliff Menendez on May 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Ha, ha, ha! That is HILARIOUS! Made my day.

Rational Thought on May 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

“It’s still about hope,” he told the crowd. “It’s still about change.”

It’s still about unicorn magic.

BocaJuniors on May 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well sir “I’ll have another”!!..:)

PS..What the heck happened to Gemologist?? 0_0

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Bodemeister ran the 5th fastest first quarter-mile, the 5th fastest first half-mile, and the 4th fastest first three-quarters of a mile in Kentucky Derby history, and yet held second. What a horse. If you go back and look at any other horse that set that kind of suicidal early fractions and they finish well up the track. Bodemiester has some kind of heart. Win or lose that was one great effort.

As for the nipping and talking, I’m not sure, but a guy I talked to at the track one day said they’re just checking them out since they’re in such close proximity. Some do it. Some don’t.

Those horses are big but with relatively thin legs.

Yep. Especially the lower legs. Hence the fact that when there are injuries a lot of them are cannon bone, sesamoid, or suspensory ligament damage.

By and large, though, they hold up quite well.
It’s what they’re born to do. I love it. There is absolutely nothing like a live horse race, being on the rail right at the finish line. I could do it for days on end. They are the consummate athlete. Speed, power, beauty, and grace personified.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

O/T (If you can get offthread on QOTD)
The guy at

just put a spread of illustrated superheroine pics up at his site.

Bunch of “our” favorites including MM, MKH & several others, and done rather well. Worth a look.
I think he’s looking for suggestions for Lefty ladies to use as villianesses. Any takers?

CurtissP-40b on May 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

…. branding GOP challenger Mitt Romney as an eager rubber stamp for extremist Republicans…

Hah! Barack. Good one.

Who knew you were so good at absurdist sarcasm?

LegendHasIt on May 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Well sir “I’ll have another”!!..:)

PS..What the heck happened to Gemologist?? 0_0

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

LOL! When I got home, a friend had left a message on my answering machine, “Bartender! I’ll Have Another!”

It ruined my day, but I’m happy for the connections. They earned it. It was the jock’s first ever Derby ride. Imagine how he felt.

From DRF:

Gutierrez, 25, began his career riding Quarter Horse match races at the age of 14 in his native Veracruz, Mexico. He first came to the United States in 2005, settling in on a regular basis a year later at Hastings in British Columbia, Canada, where he’s won two riding titles. He moved his tack to Southern California at the end of the 2011 meet, first catching the attention of I’ll Have Another’s trainer, Doug O’Neill, earlier this winter at Santa Anita.

Neat story. I’m happy for him.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Dire,

Gemologist? That’s what I’d like to know. He was prominent early then just faded. Daddy Nose Best was a huge disappointment for me. The way he had been training, I thought he was sitting on a big race. Not so.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That’s crazy funny.

Midas on May 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

FORWARD!

The new campaign slogan seems appropriate.

Green eyed Lady on May 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

de rigueur on May 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

It is some kind of a beautiful moon.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Let the division begin. The one thing that scares me, and I hope it will change, is the fact that Obama is going after Republicans and Romney together, while Romney is only going after Obama. I hope no one forgets the problems we have now are, in large part, because of the Democrats in Congress and a severe lack of leadership from the White House. Here’s what we don’t know, we don’t know if it’s a lack of leadership from the White House, or the desire to keep his fingerprints off of legislation that is poorly designed and losing in the courts.

Romney needs to remind people that, while Obama has been inept as a leader, it’s his allowing the Democrats free reign in drafting legislation, and then signing it, that has the country in such tough shape.

bflat879 on May 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Resist We Much on May 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And we know Mr. Carlson would never have said those things. It’s so weird how the Left says stuff and the Right gets blamed. One of these days the public might notice.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

“…he said to jeers from the young crowd.”

I would have thought Obowma would have surrounded himself with the ‘Captains of Industry’ that have employed millions under his economic policies…

… Where are the energy produceres that are providing abundant and cheap energy that drives those industries and are the life’s blood of our economy?

Where are and throngs of middle class Americans who go to work everyday, but after paying all the bills, have seen an increase of income for them to spend on their families as they see fit…?

… Where are his fellow politicians who want to stand by his side and run on his ‘coat tails’?

Why isn’t he running on his actual record…?

… No. He basically opens his never ending campaign in front of a bunch of children basically, that thanks to their teachers, think Obowma is ‘Dear Leader’.

I wonder if a single person in that audience truly understands what a +$16 Trillion dollar national debt actually means to them and their future families…

… By the sound of the applause, they have not a clue.

Seven Percent Solution on May 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I don’t know how to change wiki, but I sure can enjoy it.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

The idea that the internet favors Democrats is ludicrous. If that was the case, then why are all these Liberals waxing nostalgic for the days when Uncle Walter controlled what news stories the American people heard? The internet is the antithesis of the Collectivist mindset. Look at how totalitarian regimes are dealing with the internet. They are limiting access to it.

The media, Hollywood, and academia have been controlled by the Left for quite some time. This is nothing new, and people are more fed up with it then ever before. Hollywood and the MSM are losing tons of money. Nobody is going to see all these crappy movies made by Baby Boomers, whose greatest accomplishment is getting some old song from their youth placed in a car commercial.

There will always be an inherent need for a counter culture. Politically correct Liberals are the new Establishment, and they’re more fun to rebel against than middle aged parents from the 60s whose battle cry was “you can’t understand a word those long haired freaks are singing”. At least those parents never thought of themselves as being hip, so they were able to deal with being mocked. Today’s hipster Liberals are totally unprepared to deal with being mocked by witty, articulate Conservatives, because they think such a species can’t possibly exist.

ardenenoch on May 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

HA!!!

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

LOL! I love it!

Jehmu Greene (born June 22, 1972) is an American political commentator, racist, and falsely believes herself to be a social justice organizer.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! The truest entry in the history of Wiki!

*pant, pant, gasp, gasp* I’m laughing so hard!

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Looked like the jockey let the horse decide. I agree, he could have taken it.

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Bodemeister set to fast a pace..The spilts were fast..Too fast..I would not have done that but I really don’t see nothing really wrong with the strategy..That pace alone took several out..Did we have a couple of DQ’s??..There was some bumping going on although it was in the back..I thought Dullahan should have taken a shot at the rail He had one small opening but decided against it..Got pushed out too wide..Union Rags just was too slow out of the gate..Sad to see the favorite blow the start like that..I agree that is a very good story on the winners..They were excited and I bet they are saying I’ll have Another as we speak..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

ardenenoch on May 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I love the smell of victory. Libs I argue with pull the “you got that off the internet”. Well yes I did in addition to me being a relatively bright fellow. They never can answer or argue the substance of the points I make.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Also from her Wiki page:

“On the May 4, 2012 edition of America Live, referred to fellow debater Tucker Carlson as a “bow-tying white boy”, in a discussion about Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren’s decision to list herself as a member of a racial minority in the Association of American Law Schools desk book, a directory of law professors, in the 1980s and 1990s, because her great-great-great-grandmother was listed as Cherokee. Carlson told Greene to stop name-calling, but Greene denied calling Carlson a name. Host Megyn Kelly later apologized for the remark.[10]”

LOLOL

pambi on May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I don’t know how to change wiki, but I sure can enjoy it.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It appears that there have been edits ongoing on that page since about 8 PM. Some of the time marks are screwy and show tomorrow, like the second to the last one which came out of the “student” access to the internet at Texas Christian University. I have not found how to tell who is making what edits, but perhaps there is a tug-of-war back and forth. Change-No Change- Change- No change…

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

President Barack Obama’s dinner with George Clooney has officially sold out

#Julia & her friends bought up all the tickets with money from their tax refunds?

TN Mom on May 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That is priceless! Hats off to whomever.

katy the mean old lady on May 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Looked like the jockey let the horse decide. I agree, he could have taken it.

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Here’s the splits four the first four points of call:

:22.32, :45.39, 1:09.80, 1:35.19

The first two are quick for a 7 furlong race, forget 10 furlongs. And the three-quarter split will win a lot of six-furlong races in graded company, as would the mile split. Incredible.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The story Hot Air doesn’t seem interested in covering.

Obama knew bin Laden’s location in Abbottabad in the summer of 2010 (sic).

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

free kool-aid, get your free kool-aid

blech

cmsinaz on May 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM

wow, couldn’t even sell out a stadium…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Dullahan had a great finish. Hats off to him as well.

No DQs but there was some heavy bumping out of the gate. Dullahan nailed Union Rags and caused him to get squeezed back. His race was over then. But he did rally to get seventh, much to his credit. There were some others that got racked pretty hard, but with a 20-horse field you can’t really expect a completely clean break for all.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Awesome, how the heck can you make a change like that?

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I just screen capped it for my files. If you look at the top right of the page, there are a couple tabs, one of which reads “edit.” I clicked on it and learned that to edit any of the articles, I’d have to register for an account. Then any edits I would make would not record my IP address. On the other hand, if I don’t register, my IP address is recorded so, presumably, Wikipedia could contact me and give me hell for changing something. So whoever did change it obviously has an account with them. Ha! Brilliant!

PatriotGal2257 on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

The story Hot Air doesn’t seem interested in covering.

Obama knew bin Laden’s location in Abbottabad in the summer of 2010 (sic).

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think Allahpundit covers “Page not found” almost daily.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I just went back through the edits and the IP addy for the edit does show. Looks like it came out of Tacoma, Washington but the time stamps are strange (i.e. prior to local time) so the “editor” might be using some redirects to cloak the source.

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

The jugeared jac kass is just about the funniest candidate since that guy from North Carolina who didn’t campaign but won anyway.

platypus on May 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I think Allahpundit covers “Page not found” almost daily.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

You misspelled her first name. It’s “Paige.”

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I LOVE IT!

thebrokenrattle on May 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM

The story Hot Air doesn’t seem interested in covering.

Obama knew bin Laden’s location in Abbottabad in the summer of 2010 (sic).

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think Allahpundit covers “Page not found” almost daily.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM

No capish. My link is good.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

This is where I live and I can assure you that the conservatives and tea partiers around here are very creative. Donkey party, not so much.

platypus on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

OK, here’s the pool:

How long before Wiki takes down Jehmu Greene’s page?

I say tomorrow morning at 6 AM.

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

You misspelled her first name. It’s “Paige.”

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Hee!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Derby field is so big, inside es horses are often bumped, pinned, etc. One of the reasons it’s hard to pick a winner.

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

You are correct..But Union Rags was slow out of the gate..Dullahan and Bodemeister blew by him like he was sitting still..:)

PS..Might need to watch Went the Day Well in The Preakness..Another 100 yards today and he would be wearing the Roses..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

2:02 a.m. tomorrow.

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM

platypus on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Tip of the hat to them. “REMEMBER THE BOW TIE BOY!”

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM

No capish. My link is good.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Then no more computer buying at ‘Toys R Us’ for me!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

The Triple Crown races do get progressively longer, don’t they?

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I said progressively….:-(

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It will be interesting to see who goes to the Preakness from the Derby. And I always like to see who the “new shooters” are that skipped the Derby.

Went the Day Well ran a good race. He looked a little green in his works, but ran well when it counted.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Which is the whole intention behind our out-of-the-closet totalitarians here. Obviously that was the point of the SOPA and PIPA legislation and the FCC’s attempts to reclassify the Internet. So far, they have been beaten back, but I don’t doubt for a minute that they are scheming to find other stealth ways to control and squelch conservative communication.

ardenenoch on May 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

And that is the most amusing thing about it — Liberals thinking they have a lock on being witty and articulate, then being caught flatfooted every. single. time. Bravo! Keep it up.

PatriotGal2257 on May 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Theophile on May 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM
farsighted on May 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM
JPeterman on May 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Thank you all. Sorry for the delayed reply, but the dog HAD to be walked. The consensus seems to be that at the time there was greater concern about the Nazis than the Soviets, and it was thought that the Soviets might actually be a check on the Germans in Poland, and eventually even allied with GB and France against them. Which proved to be the case. Churchill is supposed to have said if the Nazis invaded Hell he would immediately make a pact with the devil. Which in a way we did.

Martin Gilbert’s Finest Hour: Winston S. Churchill 1939-1941 (London, 1983) suggests that the British cabinet actually was relieved that the Anglo-Polish Agreement of August 1939 did not oblige the government to do anything about Russia. Churchill, in a memo to his cabinet, suggested that the Germans would have to leave some 25 divisions in Poland to check their untrustworthy ally. A month after the invasion of Poland, Churchill made a B.B.C. radio talk in which he described Russia in his famous phrase as ‘a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma’ and stressed the mutual interests of GF, France, and Russia, while also decrying the Soviets’ ‘cold policy of self-interest.’ Churchill later predicted that Russia soon would be fighting against Hitler, and subsequently proved correct.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, this exercise in realpolitik resulted in the horrors of Nazi occupation, eventually including the Holocaust, and the horrors of Soviet occupation, starting with the infamous Katyn Forest Massacre (the murder of about 22,000 Polish nationals which the Soviets denied until 1989!) and 50 years of Soviet domination.

JPeterman, you are to be commended for actually using your freedom and opportunity to learn the truth of history. Makes me ashamed that too many of us do not. Nor remember what we ought to have learned.

de rigueur on May 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

And now, for something completely different: a song from a famous Chinese opera, with Hillary visiting China and Chen being in the News and all.

The plot of the opera was described by the person who uploaded the vid. There is a translation of the lyrics. It is kind of interesting to hear some traditional Chinese music instruments in that video and the costumes.

galtani on May 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Yep. The only horses it’s not a detriment to are ones like Dullahan, who drop back and make one big run. They don’t get trapped because they fall back to the rear right away.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

The Triple Crown races do get progressively longer, don’t they?

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

No. The Preakness is a sixteenth shorter, then the Belmont is 1 1/2 miles.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

O’bama set a new American Record by winning 70% of the High School Dropout Vote last time (70%). All the Democrat Media told us at the time was how many Smart Democrats With Advanced Degrees fell for his manure spreading.

He’ll need the other 30% of them this time to have a chance. You must be so proud.

Del Dolemonte on May 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I have liked watching these races since 1972. I tell you these horses enjoy running just like the K-9s enjoy a bite. Trust me.
We’ve heard from Dan let’s try this
Beautiful whoever sings it.—-except for Moochelle who would “whinny” it.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yoop on May 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Yep, I’m sure there are ways to disguise the source beyond registering that I don’t know about. I generally don’t use Wikipedia much because I don’t take it seriously as a source, as I’m sure many other people don’t either. It’s probably good as a superficial snapshot of a person or subject, but I don’t know who could trust it if anyone can just edit whatever they want, using whatever questionable sources or info they have.

PatriotGal2257 on May 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Nice.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I know quite a few 18 year olds

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

You must be so proud.

Here ya go, Skippy! Wallow in it…

H-alliburton Forever!!!

Del Dolemonte on May 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

No. The Preakness is a sixteenth shorter, then the Belmont is 1 1/2 miles.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Thanks Predator..I just now saw KCB’s question..My bad for missing it..I guess I need another!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

No capish. My link is good.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Then no more computer buying at ‘Toys R Us’ for me!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The link still works for me. Go to Gateway Pundit. Hussein knew the location of bin Laden in the summer of 2010. It took him at least 8 months to get around to making his “gutsy call”.

This is devastating if handled correctly.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Thanky.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Run for The Roses–Another version. Thanks for reminding me, ziff.

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Obama 2012. Let’s go!! Let Go!!

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

..crapsack.

The War Planner on May 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

It is Saturday!

Thanks Predator!

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

The Triple Crown races do get progressively longer, don’t they?

KCB on May 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Metaphorically?

Never cared for horse racing, but y’all’s chitting and chatting about them has been informative.

I feel y’all’s pain, it could be worse. America’s Cup went from no televised coverage to over covered then fell off the map when it got overly commercialized.

cozmo on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

No capish. My link is good.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Then no more computer buying at ‘Toys R Us’ for me!

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The link still works for me. Go to Gateway Pundit. Obama knew bin laden’s location in the summer of 2010. He waited at least 8 months before he gave the order to kill.

Basilsbest on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

predator on May 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Well said. Thank you. Mr. Gutierrez and I’ll Have Another made me happy today—just because he was grateful to have his hard work pay off at a young age and love being in America. You don’t get noticed if you’re a dip. Oh wait, unless you are the president.

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I know quite a few 18 year olds

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

..better start checking IDs pal; I am told they don’t take kindly to that sort of thing in prison.

The War Planner on May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

arnold ziffel on May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM

We just need some people who can set things straight. Breitbart was a HUGE loss, but we still have Dennis Miller, and we need more like him.

To give you an example of what I’m talking about, let’s examine the Conservative roots of rock ‘n roll. Liberals like Jann Wenner would like people to believe that rock ‘n roll was invented at the intersections of Haight and Ashbury or Bleecker and MacDougal. The truth is that rock ‘n roll was invented in the Bible Belt, and many of it’s most important pioneers (like Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard) came from very religious families.

And when rock ‘n roll first became popular, the Lefties HATED it, because they correctly identified it as a by product of the emerging suburban culture of post war prosperity, where teen aged kids could actually keep the money they made at their after school jobs and save up for a used car (as opposed to having to give the money to their parents to help pay bills, like teenagers during the Depression).

How dare these kids go cruising down the highways that were built by FDR’s public works programs, singing along to crass, Capitalist White boy r&b rip offs, and believing that the world is their oyster and the sky’s the limit! Rock ‘n roll was the embodiment of the American Dream. Chuck Berry understood this, and he wanted to be the poet laureate for every kid who spent their Saturday nights at the drive-in movie or drive-in burger joint.

And what were the Lefties listening to during this period? Commie protest folk music. The most un-sexual, un-glamorous, uptight, scolding music known to man. Bob Dylan couldn’t wait to abandon that whole crowd the minute he heard the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, who both came out of the British Mod movement, which consisted of British kids who grew up on food rations and saw all the fun that American teenagers were having, and said “I want some of that, please”.

So in the spirit of ZZ Top and Lynryd Skynryd, I pride myself on being a long haired, weed smoking, staunch Conservative, who bristles at the suggestion that it’s our side’s destiny to be boring and square. That’s what they try to project on us, and I refuse to submit.

ardenenoch on May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Dire Straits on May 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I was just in the right place at the right time. Kind of like Mario Gutierrez and I’ll Have Another. ;)

predator on May 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM