Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on May 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Barack Obama launched a new phase of his re-election campaign on Saturday by branding GOP challenger Mitt Romney as an eager rubber stamp for extremist Republicans in Congress and offering himself as a hard-charging champion of an embattled middle class.

In the first formal rallies of his bid for a second term, Obama acknowledged the U.S. economy has struggled to recover from a painfully deep recession but declared, “We’ve been through too much to turn back now.”…

“After a long and spirited primary, Republicans in Congress have found a nominee for president who has promised to rubber stamp this agenda if he gets a chance,” he said to jeers from the young crowd. “We cannot give him that chance. Not now. Not with so much at stake.”

***

[T]he Romney campaign wants the election to be a referendum on the president, thus making the incumbent’s management style a focal point of the race. Team Obama, however, wants the sharpest contrast before voters to be the wide gulf between the parties’ core beliefs, in part to stoke fears that a Republican-run White House would roll back the clock on ingrained social reforms.

And so the president targets congressional Republicans to underscore how extreme he believes the GOP has become, while Romney drills down on Obama’s relative lack of executive experience and leaves the rest of the Democratic Party alone. In part, the strategies make sense for both sides, as one is trying to oust an embattled incumbent, but it also is a reminder of the Democratic Party’s broader reach right now compared to the GOP’s smaller tent…

Offering his own advice to the Obama campaign, he suggested, “Voters need to see Romney and House Republicans for what they are — Siamese twins.”

***

The gathering often takes place after Mr. Obama’s regular Sunday round of golf, and while the atmosphere is casual, the agenda is anything but: keeping the president immersed in what it will take to win a second term. He receives an update on how his operation is expanding in battleground states, he watches previews of television ads and he studies a presentation on his various paths to victory…

Mr. Obama, who three years ago became the first president to demand a BlackBerry to keep in touch with the outside world, has now become the first sitting president to rely on an iPad to stay informed. He watches campaign commercials, offering his seal of approval to the first wave of advertisements to be used against Mr. Romney, and he follows his rival through newspaper articles and blogs…

They say he is intensely motivated to win not only because of his personal legacy and the historic nature of his presidency. He also sees a second term as essential, they said, to ensuring that key policies like his national health care law, which could be overthrown by the Supreme Court, are not wiped from the books.

***

In other speeches, Obama has offered a more serious preview of what he’d like to get done if he’s reelected. On March 30, he listed second-term priorities including reforming the immigration system; remaking the nation’s energy policy so it addresses “the long-term challenges. . . . of energy independence and climate change”; doing more to ensure that “people who don’t have work can find work” and that “our housing system is working for everybody”; pushing forward on education reform; and executing an “effective transition out of Afghanistan.”

But that’s not really a list of what Obama would do in his second term. It’s a list of what he would like to do…

In 2008, his campaign often seemed to believe that as president, Obama would be able to personally inaugurate a new era of cooperation in Washington. But after the past three years, which have been full of debt-ceiling showdowns they didn’t want and jobs bills they couldn’t pass, his advisers have become more realistic and are quick to caution that, in most cases, what they could get done in a second term would depend on what Congress is willing to do with them.

***

President Barack Obama’s dinner with George Clooney has officially sold out, and campaign sources are telling The Hollywood Reporter that the event is expected to raise up to $12 million for the president’s re-election bid, making it the biggest presidential fundraiser in U.S. history

The packed dinner at Clooney’s house will bring in $5 million to $6 million for the president’s campaign coffers, sources told THR. The demand for tickets at the event was so great that organizers tried to limit the guest list to those living in Southern California.

The Obama campaign also has been conducting an online sweepstakes, with the winner to receive two seats at the head table with the chief executive and Clooney. Campaign sources tell THR that that tally of online donations could hit $6 million, bringing the total raised to about $12 million. The winner of the contest is expected to be announced in the coming days.

***

President Obama has held just one full length, multi-topic, solo press conference in the last six months, effectively abolishing the most accessible venue for American citizens to observe the thinking and learn the views of their leader…

Of course, Obama has switched almost fully from governing to campaigning. So maybe the need for a West Wing gut check has declined, since policy is mostly being made not in Washington but in Chicago. The home, of course, of the Obama 2012 campaign.

***

Romney’s problem with the electoral map is NOT Mitt Romney. But it is his problem in that the attitude and composition of the voting electorate is trending away from what the Republicans, as a brand, have traditionally stood for — less government, traditional values, taking charge of your own destiny, strong defense, God, family and apple pie…

Looking back, based on how much the demographic composition of the nation had changed, there are studies (by Democrat think tanks) that conclude John Kerry in 2004 and even Michael Dukakis in 1988 would have won the White House if they faced the same electorate then that President Obama is facing this November. The Democrats know that today’s demographics are their destiny.

I wish I had better news to report but based on the 10 reasons cited above I conclude that President George W. Bush and President Millard Fillmore might just have something in common.

Fillmore in 1850 was the last Whig Party president and Bush re-elected in 2004 might be the last Republican Party president.

***

Inside Romney’s Boston headquarters, strategists — who have pored over polling and census data and studied state-by-state vote breakdowns from the past three presidential elections — say they see a number of ways for Romney to win 270 electoral votes…

Their overall optimism is based on the assessment that Obama’s big electoral vote victory was predicated on the enthusiasm he generated in 2008, which they say is now largely gone. In states such as North Carolina and Virginia, for instance, Obama won in part by achieving vote edges among 18- to 25-year-olds, Hispanics and African Americans. But Romney’s strategists do not believe Obama can match those levels this year.

“They changed the composition of the electorate and they won by big margins,” said Romney pollster Neil Newhouse. “The problem in ’12 is there just isn’t the enthusiasm. The bloom is off the rose.”

***

If the carefully choreographed kick off was any indication, Obama will face some challenges in recapturing the 2008 magic — especially among young voters who weathered three years of souring job prospects and rising college costs.

The campaign was only able to muster 14,000 supporters in an arena designed to hold more than 18,000. Several thousand empty seats ringed its upper deck, mostly out of view from the cameras…

The campaign had made an aggressive push to fill the cavernous arena, and turnout fell well short of Obama’s fall 2010 campus rally, which attracted an estimated 30,000 people to the campus quad…

“It’s still about hope,” he told the crowd. “It’s still about change.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 1:57 AM

You guy’s still here?

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Excellent..Just goes to show if the audience sings the song for you then you have made the bigtime!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Everytime there is an REM clip on here, I enjoy the music and seeing how happy the crowd is.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Hanging in there..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

You guy’s still here?

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I’m here as long as you want. Songs. recipes, or old fart’s musings?

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I’ve been taking a break,lurking some.
Wish I had tonight, what do you think of the PJtattler quote?

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Live Concert is great, the band can feed on the crowd’s energy and makes it on event.

Sometimes it makes the studio version sterile by comparison. (If a band can do music live and not blow, that is.)

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Dire Straits

I sent you that Conway tune earlier. Another great one was “Honey I forgot your Birthday–but you got me.” Don’t laugh that was pretty close to the actual words.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Another very good live performance. Love Andrea back then !!!

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:20 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Agree, but “Man in the Moon” was better in studio imo, because of the Andy Kaufman riff. REM is just great though. How cool to have seen those guys when they started in GA.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Wish I had tonight, what do you think of the PJtattler quote?

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

It is scary..But there is a lot of truth in that column..I hope that Team Romney realizes this also..There is a lot riding in November..A whole lot..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I agree..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM

This was an awesome early in their career tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

It is scary
Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM

yeah…and I’ve got little ones, think I should go, need to say my prayers tonight, so worried.
I’ll visit more another night.
ttfn.

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM

This was an awesome early in their career tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

How about one even earlier, when Michael Stipe had hair.

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I’ll visit more another night.
ttfn.

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM

We’ll be fine and I pray for all of us, even AllahP.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

This was an awesome early in their career tune..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Had to have a minor med procedure last month where they put you under. REM’s Losing my Religion” was playing as they started and I thought “cool”. That’s the only one I heard. :)

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Good one..This one is awesome also..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Thnx:)

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I know what you mean..Hang in there..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM

We are on the same frequency..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I guess I wanted you guys to lie to me.
nite all.

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Going to bed happy.

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:46 AM

MontanaMmmm on May 6, 2012 at 2:42 AM

We only tell these lies at HA..:):)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:46 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Nice tune..:)

PS..Nice looking lady singing there also..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Tom Wait. Have to post this one. Do you guys know old Tom can sing like that once upon a time?

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I went and read the PJ quote. We be in big trouble kemoeffinsabe unless things change.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:56 AM

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Big moon tonight.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I agree things must change..Let’s just hope more folks see this than do not!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

We are on the same frequency..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Oh definitely. I can’t type fast and do other chores but return to see whats up. Looks like we were a minute off from each other.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Close enough for government work..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM

I am just afraid that too many of our compadres even though they agree with us political junkies are just not engaged. I like—or at least know about all the stupid pop culture stuff but still can be informed. Unfortunately that is too much to ask for a lot of people.
eg—how many people are even aware of the fees we pay for the “poor” on our energy/communications bills from another thread?

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Saw Tom Waits once. 3 pieces band: Tom Waits on piano, a double bass and a drummer.

galtani on May 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM

RE: the PJTattler quote – I think there’s a good chance Romney will be the last GOP president. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t beat Obama in 2012, considering Obama’s talent for pissing everyone off, and I mean everyone, except the most brain-damaged liberal idealogues.

However, a President Romney is not likely to govern as a conservative, and so will pave the way for the rise of a viable conservative 3rd-party to run in 2016. Or, if Obama wins, Romney’s loss will render the establishment GOP irrelevant and will fuel a viable conservative 3rd-party rise up in 2016.

Our bench, when you consider all the Tea Party candidates elected down-ticket in 2010 is deep and wide, and by 2016, the cream will rise to the top. IF we still have a country left after a 2012 Obama win, I’ll be all-in on a third party for 2016 and I think there will be a great roster to choose from. The GOP establishment needs to lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

Harbingeing on May 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I have to start my class for the SS on how to act in foreign countries so I’ll sign off for now.
Tomorrow I’ll Have Another.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I enjoyed it as always..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 3:18 AM

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM

You are making good points..Very good points..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2012 at 3:19 AM

There was some bad news and some awesome news in the political arena today! Some Romney supporters were caught red handed on camera engaged in dirty tricks at state caucuses in Maine today! Bad news for Romney because he now there is video evidence that he has to cheat to steal the nomination, good news for America because the fiction of Romney’s inevitability is being exposed for what it is.

Of course Fox News will never mention anything about this, even though it should be a top political story.

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Of course Fox News will never mention anything about this

Because Fox News is deep inside the Romney tank.

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Just imagine how much money Romney will spend advertising on Fox News to convince America that he’s something he is not.

Ron Paul doesn’t need advertising, he doesn’t need to fool people, polls have consistently shown that he can beat Obama by telling the truth!

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM

There’s absolutely no way Fox News will report this, certainly not in prime time. If they do, they’ll make sure to accuse Ron Paul of trying to “hijack” the convention in Tampa or whatever nonsense they chose to smear Ron Paul with. In the meantime, real news like this will magically slip right past their guard without their notice. Funny, that.

I’m I’m wrong, I’ll eat my shorts, but there’s no way that Fox News will mention the inconvenient truth that Ron Paul might actually win this thing, and the only way Romney and Fox News might be able to stop it is to cheat and propagandize.

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM

I’mIf I’m wrong, I’ll eat my shorts,

Fixed.

Note: only the cotton portion, and I’ll have to cut them into pieces or else it would be dangerous.

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Class Envy! Its what’s for November!

Kini on May 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Floating Rock
Try staying ON TOPIC, the name Ron Paul in a thread about the election is COMPLETELY O/T…….

angrymike on May 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Obama 2012. Let’s go!!

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

To hell in a handbasket?

Another term of your imbecilic putz and the last leg of America’s journey will come to an end.

Flora Duh on May 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Floating Rock

angrymike on May 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Why? Nobody else is ever on topic this late on the QOTD. I was told last week by a member here, (who I don’t recall from the old days), perhaps it was you, that after the first page of the QOTD is over anything goes. At least my comments are about politics and pressing electoral matters and not music videos and the like, not that I have anything against music videos per se.

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 5:44 AM

angrymike on May 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM
FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Question for FloatingRock:
If elected, will Ron Paul provide a free sense of humor to all US citizens? (If so, I can understand why your support is so fervent.)

Oh–And, as to your previous comments–hmmm…no comment.

RedCrow on May 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

The gop has a small tent………because…….

In their heart THEY LOVE BIGGER AND BIGGER Government……….and dirty little secret, part two?…..

……the majority of American voters like the federal goodies too.

THAT is why we have a cowardly republican leadership and a deficit laden government.

But weird some states have balanced state budgets and seem to do just fine……really odd.

PappyD61 on May 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

” … it also is a reminder of the Democratic Party’s broader reach right now compared to the GOP’s smaller tent…

Oh dose siwwy wabbits … dat’s wacist!
Siam hasn’t existed in a coon’s age.
I believe the correct terminology is “conjoined twins” – kinda like Axelroughshod and the P-in-C.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Nonsense.

Terrye on May 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM

If somebody already said this, I apologize, but what the heck is wrong with using the red, white and navy-blue color scheme?? I’m sorry but the sissy teal of the Obama’s signs may be attractive to some focus groups, but not very presidential or American for that matter, IMHO.

txmomof6 on May 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Looks like hes really gonna run with Biden again, I find that kind of surprising. I thought for sure we would hear that Biden needed to “spend more time with his family” or some other such excuse. A day doesn’t go by without the man making an utter and complete fool of himself.

TonyR on May 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM

As we know, telling the truth is only a fraction of the battle. I read the other day that a congressional group to reform Congress has only managed to garner four members. Even if Rep. Paul were to be elected, there is a lot more that needs to be changed in DC than the president.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Obama would have filled the stadium at OSU but the Ren Faire was at the same time (That’s where my sons were. I couldn’t even get them to launch a counter protest).

talkingpoints on May 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

That goes to show how difficult it is to reform congress from the bottom up in spite of our efforts. It’s crucial that we have leadership from above to rally the American people to force the hand of Congress, or else the people will throw them out.

BTW, it looks like the Romney camp’s dirty tricks I linked to above haven’t paid off, Ron Paul is winning Maine and Nevada, too. I believe Ron Paul has won several states in a row now, while Romney has lost several in a row. Now that’s big news!

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

FloatingRock on May 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The state of our “public servants” is very depressing.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM

It could be countered that Mr. Obama and Nancy Pelosi are Siamese twins and both are pathological liars.

JMJ on May 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM