Great news: New EEOC checkbox category emerges

posted at 9:16 am on May 5, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Hey, I tried to anticipate the next expansion in ethnic categorization yesterday with my proposal for recognition of left-handed Finns as a protected minority, but that obviously doesn’t have the same ring to it as Jehmu Green’s contribution in this clip.  Last night, the Democratic strategist paired off with The Daily Caller’s Tucker Carlson over the controversy surrounding Elizabeth Warren and her claims to Native American heritage, and Green dismissed Carlson as nothing more than a “bow tie’n white boy”:

CARLSON: It was unfair when it happened under segregation, it’s unfair now. Indeed, it’s indefensible and that’s why she doesn’t want to talk about this, because she did gain material advantage by lying about her ethnic background. And no one should gain advantage because of his ethnic background, period.

GREENE: Tucker! Tucker! Elizabeth Warren has been very clear that she has not gained advantage…

CARLSON: No she has not been clear.

GREENE: And at the end of the day, she won the teaching award at Harvard two years in a row, she won teaching awards at the University of Pennsylvania, at the University of Michigan, at the University of Houston. To question this woman on her qualifications is going to be something that does appeal to…folks like you, voters like you, bow tie’n white boys, but at the end of the day it is going to backfire…

The most humorous part of this exchange takes place just after this, when Carlson scolds Green for name-calling, and she says, “I didn’t call you a name!”  After the break, Megyn Kelly conferred with producers and apologized on the air to Carlson for Green’s slam, which can only be called …. racist.  Had Carlson tossed out a dismissive insult based on Green’s skin color on the air, his career would be over, and everyone knows it.  I doubt the same thing will happen to Green, and that’s the kind of bias that isn’t funny at all.

For the record, though, Warren’s qualifications for her post at Harvard are open to question, as Paul Bedard noted this week:

That “box checking,” as critics call it, likely played a role in her Harvard hiring especially when her background is compared to those of the other near-100 Harvard Law School professors and assistant professors, according to an analysis of law schools the professors attended. Most graduated from Harvard, and all from the nation’s top 10. Warren graduated from Rutgers University in Newark, ranked 82nd by Top-Law-Schools.com.

What’s more, only Rutgers has current law school professors who graduated from Rutgers. And in the analysis of the law school degrees of the roughly 350 Ivy League law school professors provided by a Warren critic, only one graduated from a lower-ranked law school than Warren, a Yale professor who attended the University of Nebraska Law School, ranked 89.

Did she get hired only on the basis of that checkbox?  Perhaps or perhaps not, but it’s no secret that Harvard itself saw that as a marketing asset; they didn’t put her on a list to brag about hiring people from law schools that ranked only in the 80s, or having faculty with “high cheekbones.”  That’s the problem with affirmative action; it calls into question hiring and placement motivations, even when those questions would otherwise be unfair.  It’s a great argument for ending the practice.  If we want to put our efforts into equal opportunity, we should start by fixing primary education with school choice and competition, especially in our urban centers, where we usually find our worst-performing schools.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Fox is stupid. If they had any sense they’d have come back from break and said they don’t condone such racist attacks and that Jehmu would never be invited back, because racists don’t deserve an international forum in which to espouse their idiotic views.

By not doing that, and with Green facing no outrage from anyone, we basically tell the world this sort of racist nonsense is fine, as long as you’re black we’ll look past it over and over and over…and eventually we get idiots like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and this fool.

TheBlueSite on May 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

We have a winner here!!!

I am willing to bet Fox will now hire a few more rabid liberals as a result. Since the time of Murdoch’s day long “meeting” with DoJ last year that’s all they have been doing. Even closet liberals, such as Shep Smith, are now in full-on rabid liberal mode not hiding out as they used to in years past.

Fox is as crappy these days as others. When racist insults fly, as in WhoAnn’s yet another “TEA Party is racist!” BS he should have been asked to provide proof (as he was live, I will grant Sean that), but sans any proof he should have been asked to resign on the spot (nice to be paid $2M to make racist claims with impunity). Same for any and all who make wild, non-factual claims on live TV without being able to back them up. Make these firings as public and visible as they can, I bet that liberals will start thinking before opening their mouths.

Until Ailes cleans up house Fox is maybe a 5 minutes per week for me, maybe is keyword. Sending them emails won’t do much, I tried when Beckel almost hit Geller on live TV, all Beckel got was a paid “hiatus” from TV and then a reward with a new show. And both Hannety and Boortz defend Beckel as “very nice guy, you people simply don’t know how nice a guy he is”. Yep, we’re the morons, Hannety and Boortz are simply brilliant thinkers…

riddick on May 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Mark Steyn has an excellent article out that relates directly to the Elizabeth Warren Native American claims. Its excellent and you can find it at National Review. “Composite Americans”. Its insightful and, as usual, cuts right to the core of the issue at hand.

Steyn points out that Obama’s girlfriend in New York City was ‘a composite’. He related a conversation he had with his NYC girlfriend in his book ‘Dream from my Father’ in which he contends that burst into tears and told him that she couldn’t be black, she wanted to , but she just couldn’t be. Steyn moves on to Obama’s ‘new girlfriend.. Julia’ who is also a composite. Julia, says Steyn, is even worse than the first composite, because she has essentially married the State, rather than any mere mortal, and she apparently can’t do anything in life without the aid of the federal government.

Steyn then turns his attention to Elizabeth Warren, and contends that she, too, is apparently a composite. Caucasian woman, Native American woman. She wanted to be Black, she just couldn’t be… so she did the next best thing. She checked the box marked ‘Native American.’While Warren can produce an online statement saying that her Great-Great-Great Grandmother was ‘Cherokee’ produced with an online copy of a marriage certificate from 1864, however… the original marriage certificate does NOT read that the Great-Great-Great Grandmother in question was a Cherokee. Even if she was, Warren would only be 1/32 Cherokee.

Steyn notes that Warren, being 1/32 Cherokee ( maybe) and 31/32 Caucasian, somehow claims to be Native American… and people are defending that claim… while somehow George Zimmerman, whose Grandmother was an Afro-Peruvian Mestizo is considered to be Caucasian.

Steyn’s comments beg the question: How does this work?

Its a great article. I highly recommend it because there’s more to it than I’ve related here.

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

They can’t keep getting away with their projection when it is on display.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I do understand your position. Admittedly mine is half emotional. However this last line seems like circular logic. They can’t get away with it when we display it, yet by giving her a pass, she gets away with it at least personally.

Especially as you indicate they have been getting away with it for decades.

I still think by firing her then the subsequent back lash we get more milage out the incident. Most people will never see or hear her remarks as it is.

filetandrelease on May 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Large round mumu wearing black girl speak with forked tongue.

FlatFoot on May 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Jehmu Greene

Greene was recognized as one of Essence Magazine’s 40 Women Under 40 Shaping the World, and received the National Conference for Community and Justice’s Community Service Award, American Association of University Women’s Women of Distinction Award and National Council for Research on Women Women Making a Difference Award. Essence Magazine also named Greene one of the 35 Most Beautiful and Remarkable Women in the World. (emphasis added)

I don’t think that word, “beautiful”, means what they think it means.

novaculus on May 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM

The thing that really angers me is that she has not publicly owned it. If she would just publicly apologize and admit that her mouth moved faster than her brain I would give her credit. I do understand your view, but the left does it all day and it is considered acceptable.

Southernblogger on May 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’M SO TIRED OF WHITE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT EEO!

We can all CLOWARD-PIVVEN the entire EEO system in one day and here’s how …

Go down to your Human Resources department – and change your race. Pick a race, pick any race. Write “Hispanic”, “Native American”, “African American”, etc on a bunch of three by five cards – toss them in the air and grab one at random – it doesn’t matter.

YOU CAN BE ANY RACE YOU WANT.

Your employer cannot deny your membership into any race. You don’t have to prove a thing. If they even attempt to question it – hire a lawyer – you have BIG BUCKS coming your way.

There are no “racial purity” tests for your race – and no one would pass them if they did. Barack Obama wouldn’t pass a racial test as an African American – he’s half white.

Imagine – if tomorrow every woke up and found that all the Caucasians in the workforce had VANISHED – replaced overnight by Native Americans, African Americans, Pacific Islanders and Hispanics. No more need for racial quotas in hiring – THEY WOULD ALL HAVE BEEN MET.

This is the way the system works people – and it’s the reason I list my ethnicity as NATIVE AMERICAN with my HR department and on every survey I fill out.

Don’t like EEO? Cloward-Pivven the fu** out of it!

HondaV65 on May 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Racist, lying scum. Just sickening.

MadisonConservative on May 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Fox needs to fire this black female racist from Austin, TX. She didn’t apologize and most likely will not. She’s a disgraceful far left cool aid drinking racist. Period.

Rene C on May 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Fox should fire Shamu Green

There are plenty of committed irrational leftists to choose from out there, they don’t need one that’s also an overt racist

Apologies to my friends at sea world for the pun

Not-a-Marxist on May 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

riddick on May 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Mark Lavin does the same thing and gets pissed at anyone who asks, WTF?

Alabama Infidel on May 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

“Did she get hired only on the basis of that checkbox?”
Does it matter? She’s a multi-checkbox liberal: a dimmycrat, an “educator,” and a “minority.” Those people don’t care when something illegal or immoral is done by one of their own.
“folks like you, voters like you, bow tie’n white boys…”
Again, does it matter? The media won’t censure a raaacist if they’re black. Instead, they encourage slip-ups like that. It must make comments like Jemhu’s more authentic.

n0doz on May 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

He posted a damning update. Harvard proudly advertised Warren as their only tenured female professor. FTA:

Well, maybe they got if from Harvard’s daily newspaper. From 1998:

Harvard Law School currently has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American.

She lied on her employment application. Now, if any GOP candidate did that, the press would be screaming for their…

scalp!

dogsoldier on May 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

She does vaguely look like an American Indian. I can see how she had one as a remote ancestor.

Paul-Cincy on May 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM

you’re kidding, right….she looks Nordic (as in Viking Nordic), but native American she does not look…

jimver on May 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

What do you expect from a blanket wearing black girl?

Dollayo on May 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

jimver on May 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I agree, that 1/32 portion is hard to see. Giving her the benefit of every doubt, I have 4x the NA blood she does. And I’m a blue-eyed, blonde haired, bow-tyin’ white boy.

Funny how that works though. One of my father’s sisters bore a very strong resemblance to my NA great-grandmother, and one brother had the complexion and the eyes. The other two siblings and my father all were blonde and blue-eyed.

novaculus on May 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM

She’s probably just in a bad mood because she only placed 4th in the “Aretha Franklin look/sing-alike” contest this year. (after the judges issued a crushing, ‘not heavy enough’ ruling, knocking her out of 2nd)

lol….what a pig.

a5minmajor on May 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I was washing down a bucket of Popeye’s extra crispy with a can of malt liquor when I saw this segment live…spit up all over my TV screen and nearly choked on my bow tie.

jan3 on May 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Jehmu Greene is an idiot and sooooo painful to watch. Poster child for a stupid, bigoted, liberal.

ultracon on May 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

How is it that the true racists and bigots in this country can get away with exhibiting their racism all day long, and in plain view? How is it that so many liberal racists have found a way to get paid for their racism alone? It seems that racism is a lucrative endeavor as long as the racist is a liberal.

Now everybody give Jehmu a big, fat, pass because she is black.

ndanielson on May 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

jan3 on May 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Expected behavior, nothing to be concerned about, cleared hot for whiskey and cigars, carry on.

Kenosha Kid on May 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Interesting 2011 article of just who Jehmu Green is.

Conservalicious on May 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

filetandrelease on May 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I doubt she’s getting away with it. She is all over the blogosphere, I can’t imagine what her email looks like. Even her side is probably annoyed that she had a moment of truth on national TV.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM

The whole time I have watched FNC, that is the first time I can recall ever seeing an employee saying anything racist, and it was racist in a “I hate white people” way.

Southernblogger on May 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

So, you haven’t seen Sharpton make one of his appearances on O’Reilly?

novaculus on May 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

…or the renowned scholar of hip-hop music, Marc Lamont Hill. He’s a big fan of Mumia Abu-Jamal.

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Fox should fire Shamu Green

Apologies to my friends at sea world for the pun

Not-a-Marxist on May 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I believe Fox News should suspend her 2 weeks w/o pay, a suspension which shouldn’t start until she gives a nonpatronizing apology (and I wouldn’t pay her in the meantime). As obnoxious as she is, I don’t believe she should necessarily lose her job over a first-time offense of this caliber. Next time, sure, but not the first.

I don’t like how graceless and unforgiving the Left is – I figure we should show them that we’re willing to work with people, and that we understand how to give them reasonable second chances, their decent opposite in other words…

Bizarro No. 1 on May 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM

This is supposed to make me want to watch your channel Mr Ailes? Seriously I watch parts of O’Reilly and a little Brett Baier for Krauthammer anymore, that’s it.

Fox News move to the center has backfired as far as I am concerned Roger.

FireBlogger on May 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Fox News move to the center has backfired as far as I am concerned Roger.

FireBlogger on May 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

…I’m watching less of Fox…generally only when I want to see a guest I know will be on. My radio is on a good deal more…since there are more and more talk show hosts I like.

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The basis of affirmative action is no longer skin color. There are too many like Ms. Green who aren’t disadvantaged at all, nor will her children be. Barack Obama’s daughters shouldn’t be given lower standards. They haven’t been disadvantaged.

The government needs to get out of the game of “fairness.” It only ends up making things unfair in the reverse direction. We use the cliche “a hand up not a handout,” but we never do it that way. We default to perpetual handouts. That does more harm than good.

flataffect on May 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wow…turns out Miss Jehmu is an even bigger fool than I thought she was. What gets me even more than the slur itself is how quickly and easily she was able to lie and deny the offense. She proved herself to be totally willing and able when it comes to being dishonest. How much credibility does she have left after that? Zero.

lynncgb on May 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

And what was with Megyn Kelly anyway? I’m perplexed as to why she didn’t immediately interrupt this woman’s rant and denounce her comments. Disappointing.

lynncgb on May 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Well, there goes Obama’s Hispanic vote, Jehmu. “Bow tyin’ white boys,” indeed. ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo a todos!

de rigueur on May 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

HondaV65 on May 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM

THIS

Kenosha Kid on May 5, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I’m not watching Fox anymore and I’ve removed their web site from my bookmarks. They’ve changed, a lot, and not for the better. Hot Air and PJ Media are my go-to sites for the truth these days.

blackgriffin on May 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

…that is the first time I can recall ever seeing an employee saying anything racist, and it was racist in a “I hate white people” way.

Southernblogger on May 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

… Sharpton make one of his appearances on O’Reilly?

novaculus on May 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

the renowned scholar of hip-hop music, Marc Lamont Hill.

I had Fox on today while I painted and some lame mid-day weekend show has this racist black b1tch Jehmumah on it and I couldn’t help but wonder … why? She makes a racist slur against Tucker Carlson and they have her on the air 48 hours later? Dump this ignorant lowlife.

Jaibones on May 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I don’t want to be pc like the Left.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Yet another member of the “smart power” party “accidentally” speaks her truth…

Strike Hornet on May 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

YOU CAN BE ANY RACE YOU WANT.

Don’t like EEO? Cloward-Pivven the fu** out of it!

HondaV65 on May 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I’m ahead of you on this one. I began routinely checking the African box for myself. You see, when I was a wee lad, my departed Grandma on my Dad’s side told me a family secret that even my departed Dad didn’t know about. She shared with me because I was her favorite Grandson. It seems that back in the old country her mother’s mother had a dalliance with an African man whose blood has been passed down to me.

Having such an ethnic impurity in the old days was not something that people allowed out in the open. You know, “the man” would have made us pay. In the Jim Crow days, just one drop was the standard to deny one access to white facilities. So, the secret was kept buried. We’ve always been able to pass for white in our family and kept it that way.

It’s so nice now that we can embrace our heritage and enjoy the diversity that is America!

MJBrutus on May 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

TheBlueSite on May 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

♫♪ Ding Ding Ding ♫♪
My thawts eggsackly.
Is anyone home at FOX News? Roger, care to weigh in?
Geesh …
Even Barney Fife knew when to “nip it, nip it in the bud!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Why y’all so angry about Fox allowing a blatantly racist, ignorant Liberal some face time on TV? I think they need to show more of these sanctimonious hypocrites, not less.

Come on, people. You think Fox is allowing these tools some air time cause Fox agrees with their bigotry?

Bring ‘em on, Ailes.

BigAlSouth on May 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Sure, bring ‘em on …
BUT if you don’t follow it up with a scathing portrayal of Leftists/Dems and your own apology, then why bother? Those who watch FOX News will still, no matter what, BUT if you get in the headlines for calling out ALL of the DNC Leftists, you win the trifecta³.
Just a Thawt
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on May 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

BigAlSouth on May 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’m with you.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Why does Fox have idiots like this one on their programs? Shamu here is excellent at mindless repeating of democrat talking points. She has not ever had an idea of her own. Every time they trot her out, I have to turn off the television. What a massive waste for Fox.

maryo on May 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Maybe the only way fox is going to get the point is to start boycotting their advertisers. They don’t seem to get it!~ I’m sick of fox being the only channel that tries to be “fair and balanced.” Maybe we could have more dems like the blonde who calls it more like it is.
I thought Juan was a thinker, but recently, I’m not sure about that either. He is sounding more and more like the white house talking points.

Bambi on May 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I don’t want her to lose her job. Please, more of her and all those like her.

Cindy Munford on May 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I agree to an extent. I think hateful people like Jehmu should be exposed so we can see the full extent of their agendas. But at some point Fox needs to stop insulting its viewers by leaving hatemongers like this on the air to diminish the discourse.

Philly on May 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

What’s the big deal… I remember when Tucker called Fairy Con a “bow tie’n” Black Boy and everyone was okay with it. Yeah, that happened…

2Tru2Tru on May 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Philly on May 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

If the public never sees them than all they will believe is what the Dems and the MSM tell them, that all the rude discourse comes from the Right. Remember that a huge part of the public thinks that the Tea Party are a bunch of racists based on zero evidence.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I agree with those who are startled that Fox would employ someone so stupid and racist, but the reality of Shamu Green is that she’s so unremarkable. Fox has aired a dozen black racist nitwits just like her; they do it all the time.

She is just a garden-variety, racist black Democrat.

Jaibones on May 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Tucker seems to be a nice guy but maybe his first response might have been the same as mine….how about I say Funny Yunny Nunny.

AReadyRepub on May 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM