Video: “The Amazing Spider-Man” trailer

posted at 7:56 pm on May 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

This trailer is better than the last one was, so it’s got that going for it. It also looks more like a video game than any movie trailer I’ve ever seen, I think.

How much more of this? Maybe a lot more, says Ross Douthat:

This was exactly the reaction I had to the original “Iron Man,” whose success enabled Marvel to set in motion the multi-movie build-up to Whedon’s “Avengers.” It, too, was a well-written, well-directed blockbuster, but one that filled me with a kind of creeping despair — because its success guaranteed that the superhero era in American cinema, which then seemed to be waning a bit as lesser franchises failed to do Superman-Batman-Spiderman business, would continue as long as studio executives had semi-well known properties to greenlight (or, in the case of this summer’s completely unnecessary “Spiderman” movie, reboot). If “The Avengers” hits as big in the United States as it’s hitting overseas, its influence will doubtless be even more enduring, guaranteeing us superhero sequels and prequels and reboots and re-reboots as far as the eye (wrapped, of course, in 3-D glasses) can see.

Yeah, if you’re sick of superhero movies, “The Avengers” is a special threat because it’s bound to lead other studios into making multi-film serials. A “Super Friends” package now seems like a fait accompli, with the “Legion of Doom” characters possibly getting their own movies too. Superheroes unto cinematic death. Maybe it’ll be worth watching the same basic story with the same basic F/X told over and over again to reach the point where ambitious directors start reinventing the genre by playing with the conventions of the standard “superhero movie.” That should take, what, another 20 years or so?

Comments

Wow, what a whiny super hero.

Valkyriepundit on May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don’t even care to watch. Seems like I’ve seen this movie a hundred times already.

JellyToast on May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I think this film is going to end up a box office disappointment. There just doesn’t seem to be much appetite for an unnecessary ‘reboot’ so soon after the Maguire films.

changer1701 on May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Why are they making Spiderman movies so soon after the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies?

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

changer1701 on May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Great minds think alike.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

…with a really unpleasant voice.

Valkyriepundit on May 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

FAST FORWARD

Electrongod on May 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I just finished watching the trailer. I’m not going to hate on this movie, but I didn’t find it exciting and still don’t see the need for a new Spiderman movie so soon after the Maguire ones.

If this new Spiderman movie ever comes on cable television, I’ll watch it, but I don’t think I’ll make a trip to the theater to see it.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Did they hire this new kid on the basis that he sounds exactly like Tobey Maguire?

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Peter Parker?

bettycooper on May 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I’ll take this kid over Tobey Maguire .

rndmusrnm on May 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m in the minority, I guess. I love Sam Raimi movies, but I felt like he held back on the Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire.

This version looks like Spidey is going to move and trash-talk closer to the way he does in the comics.

Plus… mechanical web shooters for the win, Bob.

nitzsche on May 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ummm.. the success of X-Men did that. If not for the success of the X-Men movies, I very seriously doubt the Avengers movie would have ever come around.

I’m waiting for the X-Men to team up with the Avengers. Now that will be a movie for all time!

ButterflyDragon on May 4, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Yep. This movie’s gonna suck — too.

FlatFoot on May 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I’d be willing to bet that I am the biggest comic book nerd who comes to Hot Air. But even I can’t work up any excitement for this movie. Blah. So much of this story has been done before. Spider-Man can just be so whiny.

Bring on The Dark Knight Rises!

All that being said… Emma Stone is hot

Ampersand on May 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Great minds think alike.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Indeed. I’ve wondered what the point of this was since they announced it. Just seems like this is a movie I just saw.

changer1701 on May 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It just a movie.

Knott Buyinit on May 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Bring on The Dark Knight Rises!

All that being said… Emma Stone is hot

Ampersand on May 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m just hoping the actual movie is better than the trailer Hot Air posted, because the trailer left me cold, like the one in this thread for Spiderman.

I’ll take this kid over Tobey Maguire .

rndmusrnm on May 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Based on this trailer alone, I still like Maguire better than the actor in this clip. It’s hard to say without seeing longer clips or the whole movie.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

changer1701 on May 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Unless they go very different with the handling of the style / characters, I don’t understand it.

I didn’t have as much of an issue with the studios bringing Bat Man back under Nolan, since he was making Bat Man more serious, edgy, and dark, whereas the George Clooney / Michael Keaton versions were more campy and jokey.

But based on this trailer alone, I’m not seeing enough of a difference, or one I like, that justifies this remake.

The Maguire Spiderman seemed approachable and likable. The new one seems like he’s too cool for school, a tough guy. I prefer sweet, likable doofus to Mr. Cool.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM

RAID!

AltTuning on May 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

all i have to say is the the Hulk was beyond awesome in the Avengers!!!

GhoulAid on May 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM

“The Avengers” must be making a killing tonight, because Hot Air is so quiet….

pookysgirl on May 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I thought the reboot of Spider-Man seemed unneccessary as well, but after seeing this trailer it looks like I’m way in the minority here. I thought it looked…um…amazing. I just wish my Spider-Man obsessed sons were old enough to see it with me.

pjaromin on May 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

The Encounter is one of the best movies in a long time. You likely don’t know it because its a Christian movie, and a damn fine one at that.

You can even watch THE ENCOUNTER on YouTube

Five strangers with nothing in common are forced to come together at a remote roadside eatery because of a road closure. They place their orders with the diner’s omniscient owner, who seems to know everything about them…

If you are a Christian… you will want to make a note of this flick. No joke.

deedtrader on May 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Unnecessary is a strange word choice. It’s entertainment. Is any movie necessary?

Dante on May 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

From what I have heard, the studio was required to make a forth film to retain the rights to the franchise. Negotiations with Raimi and Maguire fell through so they decided do a reboot instead.

jazzmo on May 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I like the music.

Count to 10 on May 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

These reboots are trash. They are nothing more than desperate people in desperate entertainment companies trying desperately to hang on to their jobs and make some money by going with “low risk” “sure things” that end up sucking donkey balls because they got girly men characters that the writers and producers can relate to.

ray on May 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Hmm. This one looks promising in a few ways. It’s got more genuine Spidey snark, real web shooters, and the Gwen Stacy story line. This guy has a better build for Spider Man too.

I had been a Spider Man reader since I was a kid, but never felt the desire to watch the Raimi films more than once. They just weren’t that interesting, and in some parts were just too damn goofy.

Dongemaharu on May 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Sam Raimi had a falling out with the producers. He wanted less villians in the last Spiderman movie to sharpen up the plot and the rest of the cast agreed. So, in true money- making, sacrifice plot style, he and the entire cast was booted out of this latest Spidey tale and they decided to start over again. I won’t see it. And the trailer implies a dark secret that Parker was infected with radioactive spider venom on purpose. Sorry, don’t mess around with the back stories of beloved characters who have been around for years. BTW, The Avengers is outstanding.

Xyz22 on May 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Like Obama: boring & gay.

BHO Jonestown on May 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

How do I shot web?

Greek Fire on May 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I think this film is going to end up a box office disappointment.

changer1701 on May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM

B-b-but it’s the untold story…

Nah, I’m not going to see it. I still haven’t seen The Hunger Games.

Fallon on May 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Simple. Because if Sony doesn’t make a new movie every few years, the rights to Spider-Man revert to Marvel and they’re not about to let a multi-billion dollar franchise slip out of their fingers.

As for why they’re doing a reboot, they tried to make Spider-Man 4 and actually had Maguire, Dunst, and Raimi signed and ready to go, but Raimi kept butting heads with Sony execs over the quality of the scripts they were forcing on him(hard to blame him after the debacle of Spider-Man 3). Eventually when it became clear the movie would never be ready for 2011, they decided to scrap the whole sequel and just reboot it in 2012.

With regard to The Avengers, it’s a really good flick. Not quite on the level of Nolan’s Batflicks or Donner’s Superman, but it’s right there with the first Iron Man and X-Men 2. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed the Marvel movies leading up to it.

Doughboy on May 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

RAID!

AltTuning on May 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ha ha ha. But kind of mean, since he does fight the bad guys.

Xyz22 on May 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Thanks for that information, Xyz22. I didn’t know any of that.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Now they bring in The Lizard? NOW? After letting Raimi tease him for two films and then dumping the whole cast?

And what’s up with this film? I thought they dumped Raimi because they thought his stories were getting too dark and brooding. And having fewer villains would have been the right call. Sandman was a great villain and Thomas Haden Church gave him a great face. But it’s my understanding they insisted to add Venom, and Goblin II just felt forced. If 4 would have been anything like 1 and 2 I would have said let Raimi do whatever he wants.

The Schaef on May 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Doughboy on May 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Thank you, Doughboy, for the additional information.

TigerPaw on May 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Meh; seems like a misfired approach to ‘what to do next’ with the story/characters, imo.

Midas on May 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM

You all are crazy. This looks way better than that crap sandwich Spiderman 3. Sandman was the only good thing about the 3rd film but he wasn’t enough to hold it together.

By the way, The Avengers was much better than I thought it would be. More Iron Man and Captain America please!

Though nothing this summer looks like its going to be as good as Prometheus.

jawkneemusic on May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

ray on May 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You mad bro?

jawkneemusic on May 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

can’t wait for this movie..it looks awesome

sadsushi on May 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Though nothing this summer looks like its going to be as good as Prometheus.

jawkneemusic on May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

It’s not saying much if The Amazing Spider-Man is superior to Spider-Man 3. That’s like saying Superman Returns was better than Superman IV: The Quest For Peace. Yes it was, but it still sucked. The new Spidey movie better be what Batman Begins was to Crapman & Robin, a stellar reboot that reinvigorates the franchise and gets everyone geeked about the sequel. Otherwise it’ll end up being a box office disappointment and potentially kill the entire series for Sony.

Agreed about The Avengers. Terrific flick. And Iron Man 3 is about to start shooting and comes out next May. Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce were added to the cast and Shane Black is writing and directing. Thor 2 is due out November 2013. No word yet on Cap 2 or another Hulk movie though.

Doughboy on May 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Though nothing this summer looks like its going to be as good as Prometheus.

jawkneemusic on May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

agree 100% with this..really excited about Prometheus

sadsushi on May 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Better than effing George Clooney!

Sherman1864 on May 4, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Doughboy on May 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I fully agree and I’m not getting my hopes up that this will be the Batman Begins reboot Spiderman needs but this one has potential I think.

I didn’t know Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce were cast for Iron Man 3. They have my full attention. :)

jawkneemusic on May 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Yes, Prometheus looks like a winner. But, don’t expect to see any of the Aliens from Alien. After having a fallout with his brother, Ridley Scott decided to dump the Alien prequel and do this terraforming movie. Although the Space Jockey is featured in the trailer, so maybe he had a change of heart.

Xyz22 on May 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM

So happy to be uncool and know I’ll enjoy the movie.

princetrumpet on May 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The Amazing Spiderman looks to be like a rehash of Ang Lee’s Hulk.

The Avengers is a fun and entertaining movie. PUNY GOD! Nuff said!

RedRobin145 on May 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I just want the Rocketeer II.

Which is apparently too much to ask.

TexasDan on May 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

TexasDan on May 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Jennifer Connelly was so hot in the Rocketeer.

Rusty Allen on May 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

It’s pretty cool that this Spiderman was co-founder of Facebook.

2Tru2Tru on May 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM

If you don’t like superhero movies and you hate it when anyone has fun with some innocent entertainment that isn’t your favorite kind, The Avengers is bad news. And you’re the kind of person that should get lots of bad news.

David Blue on May 5, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Maybe I’m just gullible or easy to please but this new movie looks neat.

Not the biggest fan of the mechanical web shooters, even if they are part of the original continuity – there’ve been other developments that allowed for the “natural” stuff I prefer. Not that big a deal; I’ll probably be going to see it anyway.

Aquarian on May 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I think this looks pretty good. I grew up a Spidey fan. I’ll see it.

ted c on May 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I’m on the fence. The effects will be great, but the plot? Yeah, comic book, I get that.

dogsoldier on May 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Spidertwink.

It's Vintage, Duh on May 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I got my Spiderman fix from the first two movies which I thought were really good, especially the second one. Maguire was an annoying Peter Parker but a good Spiderman, the cast in general was very good and Raimi is awesome. I just can’t stand the whiny hipster this new spiderman kid is, he’s like an annoying impersonation of Toby Maguire, and I just have zero anticipation for this film. The effects also look terrible. PASS.

And where is the post on The Expendables 2 trailer? No action fans? I think it has the same music as this trailer, but it’s a great trailer!

Daemonocracy on May 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I like superhero movies. Always have. I don’t get why everybody has to make a big deal out of this. If you don’t want to see it, don’t see it. It’s as simple as that. If enough people agree with you, it’ll flop and you’ll get something different next time.
I think this looks like a cool movie; sure they’re re-doing some stuff, but you’ve got a villain we haven’t seen on the big screen before, and it looks like some new tech. I’m going to go see it. And I for one, LOVED Avengers and hope that it does produce a ton more superhero spin-offs. And I’d LOVE to see a Justice League movie. And I’m 41, not 8. :-)

Dread Pirate Thomas on May 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Dread Pirate Thomas on May 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Movies exist to entertain. If one doesn’t believe one will be entertained, one shouldn’t go. They don’t exist to make us better people or teach us about the human condition. If it serves both purposes, great, but I don’t ask that of it and I tend to avoid movies that I think will preach to me (I go to church for that). If I’m going to shell out $8.00 to $10.00 per ticket, plus outrageous sums for snacks, I do so to get away from the real world for 90 to 180 minutes. That’s why I say “meh” to critic’s reviews and pay attention to what the audience says.

swinia sutki on May 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM