Romney advisor Eric Fehrnstrom on hiring Grenell: Mitt has a record of taking on “voices of intolerance”

posted at 5:39 pm on May 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

To repeat a point I made last night, if they muzzled Grenell to show social conservatives that they disapprove of gays, they’re going about the aftermath in an awfully funny way. Not only did Mitt himself turn up on “Fox & Friends” this morning and personally reiterate that he wanted Grenell to stay (skip to 3:55 of the clip below for that) but his right-hand man Eric Fehrnstrom singled out “voices of intolerance” whom Romney has confronted before — a thinly veiled reference to Bryan Fischer — in his own hit this a.m. on MSNBC. Conservative talk radio host Steve Deace hit back on Twitter:

“So at the same [time] the Romney campaign is demanding loyalty pledges from its base, it calls its base ‘voices of intolerance,’ ” he wrote in one. “What Romney’s spokesman did tonight was bring aid and comfort to the enemy, which is the act of a traitor,” he said in another.

Also:

“Ask your Christian leader trying to get you to vote for Romney if he agrees with Romney campaign that Christians are ‘voices of intolerance,’” tweeted conservative Iowa radio host Steve Deace — one of 17 missives on the subject.

I don’t understand the Romney campaign’s schizophrenia on this issue. On the one hand, they were willing to hire Grenell, made a determined effort to convince him to stay, and are dogged enough in his defense to risk irritating social cons by slamming the “intolerance” of his critics. On the other hand, Romney himself is a longstanding opponent of gay marriage and, according to multiple media outlets, the campaign did ask Grenell to lie low for awhile shortly after he was hired until the “controversy” finally fizzled. I assume that rising support for gay marriage has now forced Romney to play both sides of this issue in kinda sorta the same way that Obama does. Mitt won’t/can’t support gay marriage but he will take a stand for meritocracy by hiring employees regardless of orientation and repudiating anti-gay “intolerance.” Will that gain him more socially liberal swing voters than it’ll lose him among his base? Guess we’ll see.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“I don’t understand the Romney campaign’s schizophrenia on this issue.”

It’s easy, Allah. Just remember that Romney doesn’t stand for anything. Then any side on any issue is not only possible, it’s mandatory.

Arms Merchant on May 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

hawkdriver on May 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
My progresive lifestyle? Who is imposing their lifestyle on you? Trust me I don’t want anyone imposing on anyone.

steel guy on May 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Then just stop dictating.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Then just stop dictating.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Dictating? Everything I have posted is just the opposite of dictating. I am 100% against dictators. Power to the people right on man

steel guy on May 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM

steel guy on May 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Sure.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Sure.

hawkdriver on May 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Let’s have a conversation here, it doesnt need to be rude. What exactly is the social conservative position on gay marraige or any marraige for that matter? Do you believe that it is within the rights of government to define what is or isn’t a marraige? I don’t. I want the government out of my life as much as possible and I think that is the conservative position to take.

steel guy on May 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

George Romney opposed Goldwater in 64 on civil rights grounds.

The Romney family as a LONG history of standing up for the rights of Americans and not backing down to bigots. I think the thread from yesterday came closer to what really went on.

crosspatch on May 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM

So now Goldwater is a “bigot”???

What’s next from the Mittbots? Reagan was a Racist?? I know Mitt denounced Reagan on several occasions so it would not surprise me.

The Romney family has a long history alright. Standing AGAINST Conservatism.

Norwegian on May 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Who ever the 3rd party candidate is… he is going to get a lot of conservative votes as long as he isn’t pro abortion, pro homosexuality and everything else Romney the vacuous vessel is. I can guarantee you I won’t vote for Romney either!

CCRWM on May 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM

And why would anyone who believes in the Liberal crap vote for Romney when they can vote for the honest genuine liberal Obama? He’s making the same mistake McCain made….he thinks he can get moderates and the liberals… good luck with that. It will be a miracle if Romney wins. He’s not getting one red cent from my family.

CCRWM on May 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Third party!!!

AH_C on May 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Stop going on MSDNC!

Roymunson on May 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I don’t understand the Romney campaign’s schizophrenia on this issue.

What else would you expect from a liberal playing the role of a republican?

Etch A Sketch reference and another Romney is 0bama revelation. Who would have thunk it? /S

Expected!

DannoJyd on May 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Is it me, or has Hot Air gotten a bit “saucy” lately?

And to the hoser “steel guy” spouting off all libertine on gay marriage:

We Conservatives object to Government forcing upon us a new definition of marriage that society as a whole has proven repeatedly it does not sanction. It’s We the People who have defined marriage as between a man and woman- it’s radicals attempting to use the power of the state in forcing a new definition down our throats that we object to.

Stick that in your gooey bag and snap it.

sartana on May 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Is it me, or has Hot Air gotten a bit “saucy” lately?

And to the hoser “steel guy” spouting off all libertine on gay marriage:

Stick that in your gooey bag and snap it.

sartana on May 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I don’t want the government defining what is or is not a marraige period. Why is it anybodies business what somone else calls the relationship they are in? I agree that as you say a marriage is defined as between one man and one woman. If it is the word “marraige” that has people upset then just call all domestic relationships a civil union and people can personally define what it is called however they please. I dont understand why all this is so controversal. Whats the point if it doesn’t affect your life why should it bother you.

steel guy on May 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

So, you support TRUE marriage equality, right?

blink on May 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’m not sure I understand the question you ask. I think if a couple, no matter what the make up, wishes to have a legal contract binding them then it ought to be the same for everyone. I don’t wish to see the word marraige redefined and I object to gay activist who are trying to do just that.

steel guy on May 5, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Romney is not Schizo on anything. He’s just reverting to type.

He opposed gay “marriage’ in Mass, but only half-heartedly. He had the authority to issue and order to not issue licenses to queers, and was told that repeatedly from numerous sources, but refused.

Romney is going to lose because he’s a liberal, just as Dole and McAmnesty were. He’s doing exactly what McAmnesty did – dissing the base. The Rockefeller wing is a bunch of idiots that just want power. Doing what the country needs done is not even peripheral to that gang.

Quartermaster on May 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM

hawdriver won’t read my posts so I’ll address this To Whom it May Concern:

I understand his anger and concern over what he alleges is happening to friends who’s careers he says are about to be destroyed by political correctness. It seems to me that if this is true it should be a major media story. Laura Ingraham (for example) has done many segments about political correctness in the military and no doubt she’d be interested in this. Heck, Hot Air would too for that matter. What’s needed is the ability to provide a factual basis for the story, but I’ll grant you I have no idea how difficult it is to get info from military proceedings into the public domain. This story was made public but I don’t know what remains confidential and what does not.

That being said, I do not understand what this has to do with Mitt Romney or Richard Grenell. Is hawkdrivier saying homosexuals should be denied job opportunities in Romney’s campaign? Is that what “conservative” talk radio host Stephen Deace is saying? Does he represent “social conservatives”, like, say, Rick Santorum? If indeed Deace opposes the hiring of homosexuals (and I’m not saying he does – there is not enough info available) how is it not fair to describe that as “voices of intolerance”? Not being in those circles, it would be nice to hear someone who can clarify their position. At the very least it would be helpful if hawkdriver clarified his position…

I personally oppose gay marriage and the end of DADT, but to deny people civilian employment based on their sexuality is difficult if not impossible to defend (with rare exceptions). At the same time it would not be unreasonable for a campaign to ask a hire to cease using twitter, facebook, and so forth to promote personal points of view and political activism, especially those which are out of synch with a campaign, and irrelevant to the job they were hired to do.

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Gary Stein is a perfect example of a double standard. They charged him with using his uniform during political speech. Do you know who else used his uniform for public speech and didn’t ask his superiors- the gay guy at the Republican debate. Yet Gary Stein was punished and the gay guy who is incidentally suing the DOD is hailed as a hero.

It is the reason that people like hawkdriver and me did not want DADT to end. The military never just lives and lets live; they must embrace the policies that they decide on. It happened in the 1990′s with women. One sniff of an EO complaint from woman no matter how ludicrious killed a man’s career. The military becomes ridiculous when it supports something, so why would it report two men who got complaints which probably have become the norm?

melle1228 on May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Danish, I got the heads up on your post from a friend who read Hot Air that I email with. I won’t bother to read it because she gave me the gist.

Sister, if I post something on Hot Air, it’s the truth. You don’t have to believe it. But you can sure take your innuendo and process it for safety against direct sunlight.

hawkdriver on May 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

reads

hawkdriver on May 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

To whom it may concern who is speaking for

hawkdriver on May 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’m not your “sister” and you may want to read it yourself rather than rely on an incompetent operator to translate it for you second hand. I did not say it was not true, I was strongly hinting you may want to provide a tip to Laura Ingraham or others (like here at Hot Air!) who would want to know about this. I don’t know the facts of the case, you do. If they are what you say they are (and I have no reason to doubt you) this should be a story of interest to a very wide audience. Not being in the military I have no knowledge of the confidentiality of cases such as the one you describe, which are military, not civilian proceedings.

Perhaps if you weren’t so bound and determined to interpret what I write in the worst possible light you’d stop being a stubborn jackass and would see I am the farthest thing from your enemy.

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

melle1228 on May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I already stated I oppose the ending of DADT. Second, I have no idea who or what you’re referring to when you cite “the gay guy at the Republican debate”. Third, perhaps you can explain what happened to his friends has to do with Romney or Grenell (since hawkdriver refuses to do so). Grenell worked for George Bush for years. Why is he such a problem now?

If DADT is to be reinstated it will because evidence of abuse such as hawkdriver describes is made public…

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I already stated I oppose the ending of DADT.

Yeah so? You asked a question why something wouldn’t be publicized in the military. I answered. You don’t like the answer; that is your problem. Hawkdriver doesn’t seem to lie. Why Since most of us associated with Army Aviation which is relatively small would be able to smell a faker a mile away. And if we tried just a little bit could figure out exactly who he is. Generally I give someone the benefit of the doubt unless they are known not to have credibility.

The gay soldier who was stationed in Iraq who while wearing his PT uniform asked a question at a Republican debate.

He was discussing the gay agenda and the victimology of it all.

Grenell worked for George Bush for years. Why is he such a problem now?

Ask Romney since he quit because Romney muzzled him.

(sigh) Let me guess, you really aren’t familiar with the military are you?

melle1228 on May 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

melle1228 on May 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Didn’t you tell me you were still in college? I believe it. You’re a sophomore at best. You didn’t answer a single question I asked. All you have is a pathetic, unfunny attempt at snark. Thanks anyway.

BTW, hawkdriver will no doubt be pleased to know he doesn’t “seem” to lie. How nice of you to say so!/

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hawk, you are right..not worth the time.

melle1228 on May 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Hawk, you are right..not worth the time.

melle1228 on May 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

As your hubby I’m sure has been instructed at least once, time to break engagement and RTB. Some objectives are so insignificant as to not be worth the ammo expended.

hawkdriver on May 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Buy Danish on May 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yoo Hoo Danish,
your buns are showing,
Again!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

OMG. I wanted to know what hawkdriver’s point was: Is he suggesting out-of the-closet gays should not be hired in government or political jobs? Second, I wanted to know if this is the official position of social conservatives like the blowhard radio host who called Romney a “traitor” for hiring Grenell.

If that’s not what he meant, too bad. That’s the conclusion I’ve reached and every time he posts something I’ll view it through that lens.

I didn’t have time last night to respond in detail to melle1228 on May 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM ‘sjackasserie but I’ll do it now:

Your answer is totally non-responsive to my question. I didn’t ask whether something would be publicized, I asked whether something could be publicized. If someone is being tossed out of the military are they or their lawyers not permitted to talk about it? Do you think the media is uninterested in this topic?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. What faker? Who is “he”?

Which debate? Is it too difficult to be specific and explain what your point is?

Ask Romney since he quit because Romney muzzled him.

I want to know why the blowhard radio host thinks it’s a problem! Isn’t that what this thread is about? Hawk has made it about what happened to his friend and DADT. What’s the connection to Grenell and Romney? Is this too complicated for you?

(sigh) Let me guess, you really aren’t familiar with the military are you?

No I’m not. That’s why I’m asking for clarification. Something neither of you have even begun to provide…

Buy Danish on May 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

On Watch on May 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Oh joy! Another ignorant asshat arrives on the scene to make moronic danish jokes….

Buy Danish on May 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

…”ignorant asshat”…Buy Danish on May 6

You’re getting stale Danske Frikadellen,
Those are your ears a waggin and
gums aflappin – and your
assanine scribbles
certainly reveal
your inner SELF.

HAFND

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

On Watch on May 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Attention ignorant moron: “Buy Danish

Buy Danish on May 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

voices of intolerance

Too reminiscent of John McCain and his “Agents of intolerance” speech. These “moderates” view their own base as the enemy!

BPinNC on May 6, 2012 at 11:52 PM