Video: Romney rips Obama for handling of Chen standoff

posted at 4:41 pm on May 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Examiner, if it were anyone else I’d say this is a simple case of a pol from party A putting the screws to a president from party B over a difficult international incident, but with Mitt I’m not sure. He’s been confrontational towards China throughout the campaign. Whether that’s because he sincerely believes confrontation is the way to go to contain Chinese ambitions or because he thinks standing up to the commies (and the post-commies in Moscow) will give him a little Reagan-esque credibility with the base, I don’t know. I’m not knocking him for hitting O on this — any nominee would — but I find it hard to believe he’d have done anything starkly different than what The One did. A president’s not going to let one gutsy dissident jeopardize his entire foreign policy on Asia.

Speaking of the gutsy dissident, here’s what he said early this morning:

Q: If you knew everything you know now, would you have left the U.S. Embassy?

I don’t think I would have.

Q: Do you feel that U.S. officials put pressure on you to leave the embassy as early as possible in order that today’s talks should be a success?

I think that was a factor.

And here’s a more hopeful-sounding Chen this afternoon:

“I hope the Sino-US agreement can be implemented,” he said. “I am not disappointed in the US government. They made such a great effort. I am very grateful. It was under their great efforts that I got this important agreement.”…

Some media reports have suggested he was unsatisfied with the deal. Chen called it a “breakthrough” in his conversation with USA TODAY.

“The Chinese government has promised to guarantee my civil liberties. Is this not a breakthrough? But its implementation is very important. It must be fully implemented and this has not happened yet,” he said.

What happened in the interim to brighten his mood? No way to know for sure, but he told the Daily Beast that a U.S. official had come to the hospital this morning to try to see him (and had been refused). Knowing that the State Department hasn’t abandoned him entirely means he can rest easy that Chinese goons won’t drag him and his wife into a back alley and beat them to death — yet. As his lawyer said, with dark understatement, “The Chinese government has made many promises on many things, but they never keep their promises.” (In that case, why did Chen believe that they’d uphold their end of the deal with the U.S. to let him attend law school?)

Hillary’s playing this close to the vest so far in her official remarks, presumably in order not to further inflame the situation, but she and O are now in a nasty bind. Chen insists that the only way he’ll be safe is if he’s given asylum in the U.S.; the ChiComs, I assume, will refuse that categorically for fear of losing face. What would Mitt Romney do? As further reading on this, check out the NYT’s account of how this guy, blind and injured during his escape, somehow made it to the U.S. embassy. He didn’t show up at the gate begging to be let in, as I think most people assume. The State Department was contacted by his allies after he escaped and the U.S. sent a car to pick him up. Allegedly they were tailed by Chinese security and a full-fledged car chase ensued on the way back to the embassy. All of which is to say, the U.S. was a more willing participant in guaranteeing his safety than might at first appear, which is to O’s credit but also makes this standoff even more tense. Stay tuned. Exit question: Does the State Department now regret its initial decision to help? From the Daily Beast:

Fu had spoken by phone with Chen shortly before I had. “He was very heavyhearted,” Fu said. “He was crying when we spoke. He said he was under enormous pressure to leave the embassy. Some people almost made him feel he was being a huge burden to the U.S.” Chen decided to leave, Fu confirmed, because he was told “he would have no chance of reunification with his wife and children if he didn’t. The choice presented to him was walk out—or stay inside and lose his wife and kids. Chen had no choice but to go.”

Update: High drama: Apparently Chen himself called into today’s emergency committee hearing on Capitol Hill about his fate.

Comments

The Chinese government has promised to guarantee my civil liberties.

Did he break his fingers by crossing them so much?

KingGold on May 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Was wondering yesterday why Mitt wasn’t rabid about it. Good on him.

If true, it sure is “a dark day” for liberty, freedom, human rights and all around.

Obama and Hillary will have blood on their hands.

Any leftie around here, who’ll yack for this, immediately will also have blood on theirs.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Any policy so fragile that one dissident’s actions threaten it is too fragile.

novaculus on May 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Nice to see Bachmann endorsing Romney and standing behind him. I don’t think she likes Romney anymore than me, but she has the good sense to realize that we need to come together to support Romney or we’re permanently screwed under Maobama!

Hopefully other conservatives will come to the same realization and do the same.

LevinFan on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The Obama administration probably sent an official over to give Chen a bill for his meals and the Diet Cokes he drank while at the US Embassy.

portlandon on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Not knocking him? Sure you are. Why pretend otherwise? You probably think that a contested convention will be a sure way to defeat ObaMao in the fall, right?

cicerone on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Gosh, I hope and pray he is save and his famly is unharmed, but I agree, they didn’t want to let one dissadent get in hillary’s way.

Bambi on May 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Thank you Jim Messina.

cicerone on May 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Good to see Mitt sticking it to him. Maybe I am just starting to root for the home team – but he’s growing on me and I am starting to believe he’s with us.

portlandon on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

That would indicate some modicum of fiscal responsibility in this administration. We know that is not the case.

CycloneCDB on May 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Need more info.

gerrym51 on May 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That’s the thing, AP. It’s the other way around. If one dissident is enough jeopardize things for them, then they are being unreasonable, not us.

rdbrewer on May 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I don’t. It’s far more proper to have a Cold War mentality when it comes to China. Unless and until they stop running that country like an antiquated SSR, China’s government is a threat to us.

We grant asylum to political prisoners and human-rights advocates all the time. The idea that Obama would bend the knee to China after giving this guy false hope in the first place is frankly repulsive.

It’s precisely the same line of thinking that was at play when he allowed the Iranian protestors to get massacred, perhaps his gravest failing. He didn’t want to take even the slightest foreign-policy risk, and in the process he’s making the United States look progressively weaker – almost as if that was his aim to begin with.

KingGold on May 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Video: Romney rips Obama for handling of Chen standoff

I like the cut of this Romney fellow’s jib.

He’s certainly handling his campaign much more effectively than McLame did.

I could find myself becoming energized by his campaign, as opposed to just being energized by the prospect of disposing of 0bama, which has been my attitude since, oh, about 2007.

UltimateBob on May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well Obama here is your chance to make a gutsy call.

sammypants on May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Of course Obama doesn’t want to piss of the Chinese…he needs to borrow many more trillions before he bankrupts the government.

rubberneck on May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

rdbrewer on May 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Precisely. It was on the tip of my tongue when I read your comment. One dissident is going to blow up US-CHina relations? Really? We went through years of defections during the Cold War with the Soviets. When did any defections ever have a significant impact on the momentum of negotiations?

CycloneCDB on May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Allah: If that’s true then we are obligated to see this through to the end and get this poor SOB out of the country somehow.

It’s one thing to pull off a *covert* extraction of a asset (and until proven otherwise, that’s how he should be treated) and another to do it overtly AND under fire (metaphorically speaking of course).

If Chen had made his way to the Embassy on his own, then yeah, a self serving C&C could toss him overboard with little repercussion, but this?

Obama, State Dept & Co. own this…They knew (or should have…humph, Harvard Grads my tush) that if the ChiComs got wind of this, there would be repercussions…what the hell did they think was gonna happen?

BlaxPac on May 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

portlandon on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

that would involve the Obama administration actually caring about the money being spent by the U.S. government

joey24007 on May 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

you want to realize why we can’t reach across the aisle, read the comments at the times or npr or wherever, they are quite informative and sadly predictable.

rob verdi on May 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

As Obama has been reminding us this week, he’s only good at giving the orders to kill people.

MeatHeadinCA on May 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Mitt should make a video about what he would do. A little return favor for O’s ridiculous Bin Laden video. He could then draw a distinction between a weak Obama bowing before our creditors and himself.

LetsBfrank on May 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Obama – willing to make the “gutsy” call to kill the world’s most hated man. Not willing to make a turly “gusty” call to save the life of one dissident and his family from a Communist regime.

Hey Biden – we see how big his “stick” is – and we’re not impressed.

CycloneCDB on May 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Obummer told Mr. Chen – through his surrogates in China- that he would have more “flexibility” after the election…. and so – just hold tight and I’ll get back to you.

Barry – PRESENT but not accounted for.

FlaMurph on May 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’m not saying you are knocking him, but . . . you kind of are knocking him (and in the same sentence even!).

Dark Star on May 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Well Obama here is your chance to make a gutsy call.

sammypants on May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

The headlines has an article on Obama is “hawk and dove”.

Now, let’s see which one he is on this case.

My money is on “dove”. I hope to be wrong, for the sake of humanity, true liberalism and freedom all around.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

But remember Obama’s support for all the Iranians marching in the streets for their freedom?

Me neither.

LetsBfrank on May 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM

..the way to go to contain Chinese ambitions

LOL

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

“We own you” is the Chinese policy. End of story.

Mitt did what he did to keep the likes of Trump to fund him. Otherwise he should go dry. Trump makes no bones about the Chinese impertinence.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

How is this guy talking to all these media outlets? Just seems odd given that he is in China.

moonsbreath on May 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

And here’s a more hopeful-sounding Chen this afternoon:

“The Chinese government has promised to guarantee my civil liberties….”

Well…. if the Chinese gov’t promised that they would protect your civil liberties, you know you can take that to the bank.

\big eyeroll

UltimateBob on May 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Don’t tell me Hill gave ‘her word’ on something?…oh boy!…he’s screwed!

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

..the way to go to contain Chinese ambitions

LOL

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Where lie your allegiances?

The way to contain them is to keep the U.S. strong, beg. with cleaning the financial house. Obama’s allegiances are not with the U.S.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Romney will just roll over for Obama, just like McCain did.

ABRtard on May 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Oh, wait.

Gunlock Bill on May 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

The headlines has an article on Obama is “hawk and dove”.

Now, let’s see which one he is on this case.

My money is on “dove”.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

My money is on ostrich. He’s going to hide his head in the sand and just hope the problem goes away.

UltimateBob on May 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Our hard earned taxpayer bucks, (in the form of oodles of interest) subsidizing the heinous treatment of Chen and others. Hope and change, baby.

LetsBfrank on May 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM

So we went to rescue him and then gave him up?

WitchDoctor on May 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

LetsBfrank on May 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Yeppers…lefties are thugs, no more, no less.

They never believe in human or other rights, of any kind.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Where lie your allegiances?

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I’d like the USA to remain strong. But any willful illusions that China will be ‘contained’ by America in the long run are laughable from my perspective.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Obama and HIllary own this. If anything happens to Chen and/or his family, outrageous outrage will ensue.

Mirimichi on May 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

UltimateBob on May 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Myth..ostriches don’t do that. Plus, he’s never that big.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Well done Mr.Romney!

cheetah2 on May 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The U.S.’ aim should not be to “contain” anyone, it s/b to be better than anyone, especially on human rights.

China will never be a freedom-loving land, no matter how economically free she is. If they become the world’s overlords muzzies will be mild in comparison.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

And Romney is winning me over. Everyday he has a smackdown for the Zero.

Mirimichi on May 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Agree with this.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:16 P

Disagree with this.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

What happened in the interim to brighten his mood? No way to know for sure,

They took the ropes off his wife..?

d1carter on May 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I call BULLSPIT!

For you to claim Romney wouldn’t “have done anything starkly different than what The One did,” you need some sort of evidence to back up your assertion beyond your stupid gut feeling.

Did Reagan or either Bush hand dissidents back to the ChiComs? It’s a Democratic practice.

We don’t even allow high-level defectors from China, if it might displease Obama/Biden’s Marxist masters.

Adjoran on May 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Disagree with this.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM

You can disagree all you want. Most of the Chinese population, those in the county-side and the ones in the sweatshops, and political dissidents are not free. I await the big revolution and we’ll see what happens after that.

I don’t care about all the economic and building progress. I care about those who disappear, those who are executed with “on-site” vans and those who are not allowed to speak against the gov’t, i.e. the case at hand.

I don’t believe in ‘benevolent’ dictatorships, of which China is neither. Singapore is, but the benevolent can die at any time.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Guess Team Obama is gonna need another “Re-Start” button.

Russia says they will pre-emptively destroy any missile shield sites in Eastern Europe “if talks with Washington about the developing system continue to stall.”

The little open-mike Obama-Medvedev conversation just took another turn.

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Correction

I don’t believe in ‘benevolent’ dictatorships, of which China is neither the latter. Singapore is, but the benevolent can die at any time.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I bet he’ll find a way to not deploy them.

NATO convention in Chicago…mhhhh….just in time for world-thugs to cause mayhem…

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You’ve been to the country-side in China then? Talked with a random selection about how free they feel themselves to be?

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

If only Tricky Dick was President AFTER Obama. Dicky would have had a perfect mentor to teach him the art of subterfuge and prevarication.

timberline on May 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Love this tweet:

Obama is worried about #Julia, who doesn’t exit. @MittRomney is worried about #Chen, who does exist.—
Seth (@dcseth) May 03, 2012

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Not all will be answered in here. Just read all their history and look around, beyond the big cities. If they have a big uprising, it will not be from the cities. There is no class war in the U.S., except the one Obama foments. There are huge class differentiations in China. The politicians try to feed the masses and keep them quiet. It will boil over. Modern communication does help, some. Time will tell. For the sake of the people, I hope they all go free, and soon.

Today, if China would take over Taiawn, Obama would bow to them at worst, be quiet at best, or just mouth something off for U.S. consumption.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You get it. Well stated my friend.

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

P*R*E*S*E*N*T

koaiko on May 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Chen?

Sooo yesterday.

Just another Right-wing attempt at distraction.

Julia…this is fundamental to all good Americans…it takes a village gone wild…very important stuff…fake but accurate, too.

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Seth (@dcseth) May 03, 2012

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Recall yesterday’s revelation that his ‘girlfriend’ in Dreams from my father didn’t exist either. He makes things/characters up, as he needs them…because the media allow it.

Yesterday a group put out a $10,000 reward for anyone who produces his Harvard grades. I bet no one will.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Don’t be surprised if China “caves” on this. This has put Obama in a real bind and it looks like he may not be able to sweep it under the rug. If there were an open microphone, you would probably hear someone whispering to the Chicoms that if they help O out here, then he will have more “flexibility” after the election.

Ordinary American on May 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

You get it. Well stated my friend.

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM

It is an honor to be your friend, JP. I so wish you would have experienced the U.S. as she used to be, not so long ago. However, she has a tiny chance, one time only. The pivot is as precarious as it ever was. So, fight hard. The enemies are within, from the left, to the right.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

cicerone on May 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I doubt it. He may have fantasized about how blogtastic it would be (and to be clear I don’t recall if he did this) but I doubt he thought this was a desirable route.

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Many Presidents have been able to support dissidents under tyrannical governments and get agreements with those governments also, especially when Russia and China are concerned. Obama’s foreign policy is to be tougher to our allies (Israel, Britain, Afghanistan, Egypt, Poland, Czech Republic) than our adversaries (Russia, China, Iran, Syria).

philrat on May 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

On February 9, 2008 I asked if Barack Obama was Oprah’s newest James Frey:

In 2005 Oprah promoted James Frey, author of A Million Little Pieces. You may recall, this memoir took a great deal of license with the truth:

Police reports, court records, interviews with law enforcement personnel, and other sources have put the lie to many key sections of Frey’s book. The 36-year-old author, these documents and interviews show, wholly fabricated or wildly embellished details of his purported criminal career, jail terms, and status as an outlaw “wanted in three states.”

Fast forward to the race to the Presidency, where Oprah has chosen to promote another writer, this time the author of the 1995 book, Dreams From My Father. There seem to be some similarities between Obama’s tendency to embellish his rakishness and the liberties taken by shamed author, James Frey.

I commend myself for my prescience.:)

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Very good Mitt.

Keep it up and keep barack on the defensive. The more he has to ramble and make things up to talk his way out of these situations, the stupider and phonyer he will sound. Even the liberals will come to recognize the desperation in his girly blamings.

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM

While I’ve only been living here for a bit over 6 years, I’ve been visiting regularly for over 20. I think I’m fairly familiar with Chinese history and have spent considerable time in rural areas, from western Sichuan Province to northern Heilongjiang.

Unlike in the US today, most people (not all) have seen very significant and continual improvement in their condition in the last couple of decades. However, at the same time many of the younger people, primarily in the cities, are somewhat skeptical of the current government structure. Positive changes will continue to come.

If you’ve actually spent some time in China and have first-hand observation, I’d love to hear about them.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Well Obama here is your chance to make a gutsy call.

sammypants on May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Awesome observation! Blindingly precise and poignant! Stunning Threadwinner! Nothing left to be said after this!

..etc., etc.

(O.K., so I go a little overboard. But it was good!)o

The War Planner on May 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM

How many unhappy Chinese people should we welcome into the US? How about all our other embassies around the world–we can’t afford to send the message to the world that making it into a US embassy entitles you to a free green card for you and your whole family.

Has anybody figured out why this guy progresses from despondent to thrilled to despondent to satisfied then thrilled then despondent … etc in his interviews?

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Come on Mitt, speak the truth. Chen was thrown under the bus because he is pro-life. Making a ‘gutsy call’ on Chen’s behalf would have outraged the proggie left in America. Bammie can’t afford that before the election.

slickwillie2001 on May 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Obama needs to polish his peace prize a tad harder.

rubberneck on May 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

rubberneck on May 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Reggie Love used to polish anything Barry told him to polish…or so I am told.

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I responded earlier by linking to something I wrote in 2008, comparing Obama to James Frey, discredited author of A Million Little Pieces. Apparently it’s stuck in the blogosphere (not sure if the link is the problem), but if I do say so myself, I had him nailed early on:)

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Your moniker reminds me of a rotisserie chicken place (privately owned I think) that opened up in our neighborhood a few months ago :)

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

This has me very concerned.

Obama already got Russia to give him time.

This Chen thing is very strange. How does a blind man get past 200 soldiers that are guarding him then cross a river to escape?

I am wondering if Obama is setting us all up. That he has some kind of a deal with China. If so Romney will be a dupe.

Forward to communism. The New Obama Motto. Forward. The first part is what it has meant every time it was used in history. There used to be a wackypedia entry explaining it but it is now mostly gone replaced with Garbage. But China used Forward, Lennin used Forward. Many Marxist countries used it.

Bill Ayres Dad was best friends with Frank Marshal. Obamas mom moved him to Hawaii so Frank to mentor him. Both these men were ardent Communist. There is no doubt Obama understands that Forward means Communism. Kind of scary he is now so blatant about implementing it. Also Bills dad got Obama his first job in Chicago. They were lifetime friends Ayres dad and Obamas Mom and her parents. All ardent communist.

Be very afraid of Obama.

Steveangell on May 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Oops, never mind…my earlier James Frey comment posted….

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

What else could a preezy do when the Chicoms own our assez. It’s not like he has more than his bony legs to stand on.

Kissmygrits on May 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Wow, it’s all so…not at all clear.
But as many of your begin with a conclusion –
does that even matter?
And Mitt can pander to you that much?
Zowz.

verbaluce on May 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I commend myself for my prescience.:)

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

As you deserve to.

but if I do say so myself, I had him nailed early on:)

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Why you are a great dame, even if we occasionally disagree, vehemently :)

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Unfortunately for Chen, Obama doesn’t keep his promises, either!

Deano1952 on May 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

…and, voila, the waters just cleared up…verbaluce worked miracles.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

…and, voila, the waters just cleared up…verbaluce worked miracles.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

..from the smell emanating from my computer, I thought someone broke wind.

The War Planner on May 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Physical changes, material changes but you will never, ever know what is really in the hearts and minds of those living under the tyranny of Communism. Propaganda and props are a powerful weapon, do not be fooled.

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Well Obama here is your chance to make a gutsy call.

sammypants on May 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It would not surprise me. His campaign’s in a panic.

dogsoldier on May 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Mitt the Milquetoast ‘I never served’ Romney would do nothing different.

Palin/West 2012

Pragmatic on May 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I just realized this was well before we were told Bill Ayers was most probably definitely his ghost-writer.

Buy Danish on May 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Huntsman wants to be a team player, he should go out with Romney tomorrow and deride how 0′s crew handled this without him in the Ambassador spot.

budfox on May 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I understand you grew up in late Cold War-ear eastern Europe. However, with respect, I don’t believe China today is anything like the environment you were familiar with.

Since my own wife of over 20 years grew up here and then lived in Japan (where we met) and the US for years before returning, I think I have some idea what’s really in the hearts and minds of at least some of the locals.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Some is the key word.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Some is the key word.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I have to honestly admit I don’t know how everybody thinks. I think I have a good general sense of the mood however.

DarkCurrent on May 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Don’t try to downplay this AP, Mitt is taking it to Obama big time and I’m lovin’ it. We definitely got us a candidate with a pair for a change. 1980: Part 2

1984 in real life on May 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Just an observation, from just another Gwailo, here.

China since the 80′s has been locked in triangulation.

Three components are China today. First, the Party. Second, the military. Third, the fast growing entrepreneur-based middle and growing upper classes…the money people…and they are growing fast.

The Party, Zhongnanhai, as it is referred to locally…if I recall..is key to the other two presently.

Unified China is a lot more important today that unified Europe or unified USA…schisms are not normally dealt with kindly. Recalcitrance toward the Party is a crime…still.

Hence dissidents are a threat.

The task of the military is to protect the Party…and China. Any threat to China is a threat to the Party. Any threat to the Party is a threat to China.

The big unknown…and a fast fast growing unknown is that pesky neo-capitalist class…without whom the Party could not enjoy the prestige that has come with new China…and without whom the the military would not be able to procure bombs, and bullets and bombers, submarines, advanced training programs and other things required to make sure the military is as second to none as China can afford.

One screw up anywhere in this triangulation, and all bets are off.

If the military believes the Party is lax and caving in to the entrepreneur class at their expense, it could get nasty. One of the reasons for the rushed and continuing modernization program of the PRC military.

If the Party loses its status…then what?

Problem with China today is that a lot of the old stereotypes in the West from the 1960-80′s are pretty much false today…but the underpinnings remain the same.

Can the folks out in Shanghai go all Tokyo on China?

Ginza writ large, not just for tourists but for all Chinese as well?

Appears to be getting that way. In a lot of other cities in China as well. Big big cities.

Now…how much does China need us versus how much do we need China?

Therein lies the solution to the Gordian Knot with which we have allowed ourselves to be bound to China.

It can be unraveled carefully…or it can unravel in the most ungodly mess imaginable.

One answer is with the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, the other at Zhongnanhai.

Right now is not a good time to have either ruffled.

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Be very afraid of Obama.

Steveangell on May 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

And still you’re voting for him.

bluealice on May 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Be very afraid of Obama.

Steveangell on May 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

And still you’re voting for him.

bluealice on May 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

LOL

Steveangell on May 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Can the folks out in Shanghai go all Tokyo on China?

Ginza writ large, not just for tourists but for all Chinese as well?

coldwarrior on May 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM

It already has. Come take a look.

DarkCurrent on May 4, 2012 at 3:01 AM

DarkCurrent on May 4, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I truly wish I could, DC.

How some ever, as the rural folk around here are prone to saying, I followed your moniker/handle back to an awesome photo gallery…today’s China…and now I really truly wish I could make that journey.

Have a few Chinese friends, a few on faculty at University of Michigan up in Ann Arbor, and they keep me apprised. But your photos ( I assume they are your photos) tell a story of their own.

Yes, the Chinese have gone all Tokyo…almost a Walmart or two in every major city now…Kentucky Fried is a favorite as well, I am told…and probably more new car buyers this week in Shanghai than were in the US this past few months.

A few observations, if I may?

The first is that in that millieu, it would have been fairly easy, from a professional point of view, to extricate Chen Guangcheng from the Beijing Embassy…had it not become known to the public almost immediately that he was there.

Even then, though more difficult, it would have been possible/probable to get Chen and his family out of China.

But, now that he is in Chinese hands…as is his family…his only real hope now is that the publicity, and a firm US government, would enable safe passage to be arranged under any pretext, really. And it would take a lot of public involvement of a benevolent Chinese government/Party.

He embarrassed them…his escape from house “arrest.” His method of entering the embassy adds to the embarrassment. And, most of all, the publicity…three strikes, in a way.

If the higher ups allow him to leave, sort of establishes a precedent for others to follow? Sort of announces that one can give Zhongnanhai the bum’s rush and get your way. Sort of shows that the Party and the security apparatus just isn’t quite up to the task anymore.

Or the higher ups could merely determine that Chen remaining in China is a royal pain in the buttocks…getting him out of the country would then be preferred to allowing him to stick around. Out of sight, out of mind.

The dithering, the ham-handed approach on our side did nothing to smooth the way, either.

Anyway…it is late or is it too early here.

I do appreciate your insights…you have a wonderful vantage point.

Those of us who knew China from the long ago truly know a lot less about China today. My Dad was an advisor to Chiangkaishek, on Matsu and Quemoy during the fun times. in the 1950′s. My experience most recently on the periphery, to include Taiwan and Hong Kong is of the 1990′s.

The rest told or shown to me by travelers from auspicious China…far removed from my father’s China.

But, I am merely Gwailo.

Zaoshanghao. :-)

[I hope I got that right and didn't call you something untoward.]

coldwarrior on May 4, 2012 at 5:24 AM