NYT: Romney campaign overlooked Grenell’s controversial Twitter postings when they vetted him

posted at 8:56 pm on May 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’ve been wondering for two days why they’d hire him and then immediately tell him to lie low when they already knew that he was gay and a bit of a troll on Twitter. Mystery solved: They didn’t know he was a bit of a troll on Twitter. Which, for a campaign that “closely monitors” political tweets for purposes of rapid response, is simply bizarre.

“[B]efore he left the Romney headquarters [after his job interview], he felt compelled to say that he is gay. “It could be an issue,” he volunteered.

“It’s not an issue for us,” Mr. Fehrnstrom replied firmly.

The campaign called around to Mr. Grenell’s colleagues, seeking references, but as the warm reviews flowed in, a campaign known for its no-stone-unturned meticulousness overlooked his electronic footprints: namely, dozens of cutting Twitter postings. One swipe at Newt Gingrich’s weight, for example, went like this: “I wonder if newt has investments in Lipitor.”…

As the critiques from conservatives [over his orientation] intensified, Mr. Grenell pressed senior aides to allow him to speak about national security issues, arguing that the best way to soothe the ire over his appointment would be to let him do his job: defend his boss and take swipes at President Obama.

But Mr. Romney’s advisers balked at the idea of his taking a public role, saying that the best way to get beyond the controversy was for Mr. Grenell to lower his profile until it blew over. A big worry: that reporters would ask Mr. Grenell about his Twitter feed or sexuality, turning him rather than Mr. Romney’s foreign policy into the story.

Team Mitt wanted to deal with the controversy by keeping him quiet until people got bored with it and Grenell wanted to deal with it by changing the subject with a talking-points offensive about foreign policy. Sounds like he was insulted by the campaign’s approach and chose to bow out instead — even though, per the Times, no fewer than six top Romney officials personally asked him to stay, including Fehrnstrom and campaign manager Matt Rhoades. One advisor tells the Times that for the campaign Grenell’s orientation “was a nonissue. But they didn’t want to confront the religious right.” But … if they were unwilling to confront the religious right, why did they (a) hire Grenell to begin with, (b) beg him to stay on, and (c) repeatedly state their respect for him after he resigned? Obviously they planned to use him as a spokesman soon, just not as soon as Grenell would have liked. I’m not defending their decision to muzzle him at the beginning, mind you — I think Grenell’s approach on how to deal with the criticism was much smarter — but the media keeps trying to fit this easily into a cookie-cutter “Romney bows to anti-gay critics of Grenell” narrative and it’s not that simple. A fairer criticism is that the campaign simply should have showed more nerve up front and let Grenell speak, especially considering that not all of his critics were actually demanding that he be fired. HuffPo:

Gary Bauer, the founder of American Values, became the most serious political figure on the Christian right to publicly criticize Grenell’s hiring. Bauer wrote in a letter to supporters that he worried that Grenell’s hiring might signal some support by Romney for gay marriage. But he added, “We should not exaggerate this. Homosexuals were part of the Reagan Administration and the Bush Administrations. Our concern is policy.”

In a Wednesday interview with HuffPost, Bauer said, “I never called for [Grenell] to be replaced and I think the most important thing here is the policies.”…

The Romney campaign told Grenell to “be quiet and not to speak up until it went away,” said a source familiar with the matter, referring to criticism of his sexual orientation. A source close to the Romney campaign said Grenell was asked to lay low only on the issue of his tweets about Callista Gingrich and First Lady Michele Obama, for which he, in fact, had already apologized.

I’m not sure it’s a cataclysmic setback for gays when the Republican nominee hires an openly gay spokesman who later resigns and even a top social conservative feels obliged to say, essentially, “Hey, gays have worked for the GOP forever. No need to go running off.” Note that last bit about the Callista and Michelle tweets, though. It’s hard to believe that those were the only things the campaign was worried about but it’s easy to believe that they were legitimately worried about them once they found out. Romney’s trying to unify the party right now, and having pissy comments about Gingrich’s wife from his new foreign-policy spokesman circulating in the media would have been unhelpful to that effort. Maybe they feared that if they put Grenell out there right now while the media was still focused on it, the story might blow up so big that Newt would feel obliged to withhold an endorsement or to hit back hard rhetorically. Mitt doesn’t want hard feelings now among any constituency, even one that only managed to win two states. So their concern about the tweets was legit, I think, even if it wasn’t the foremost controversy surrounding Grenell.

Comments

This Romney fellow may lack the luster of accomplishment or the precision of a clear message but he at least he’s competent if by competent you mean incompetent.

Ever hear of twitter, Willard?

casuist on May 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Huffpo reported on Grenell’s misogynist twitter feed the day he was hired, how did Romney not know?

libfreeordie on May 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

First electability proved to be a puff of smoke. Now competent caampign seems to be a pipe dream.

promachus on May 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

libfreeordie on May 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

And you care why?

sandee on May 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Gary Bauer, the founder of American Values,

Speaking of creepy…..

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I have a very hard time believing they weren’t aware of his tweets, but whatever. It’s done and that is the story they are going with. I hope he continues to do good work for our side.

McDuck on May 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think Grenell’s approach on how to deal with the criticism was much smarter

It wasn’t. His strategy assumed he would ONLY be asked foreign policy questions. But on a conference call with reporters you have no such guarantee. So if reporters asked Grendell about the gay issue or his tweets was he actually going to shut his yap? If he does, then what?

Zaggs on May 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Also, if they were unaware of his tweets, why were hundreds deleted? If he thought they would have an issue with him being gay, why would he bother mentioning the tweets? Pretty sure they did know and thats why they told him to shut it.

Zaggs on May 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I thought it was the Christian right. Now you’re telling me this guy got fired/errr resigned because he had a potty mouth on twitter or something?

MeatHeadinCA on May 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

The first thing I remember reading about Grenell was regarding his Twitter feed: the snark content and the fact that he’d been busy deleting old Tweets.

It beats me why anyone in politics would be go public with sarcastic insults and not expect any consequences. But as with others who revolve around power, perhaps his hubris was also his nemesis.

INC on May 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Zaggs on May 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

But when did they know?

MeatHeadinCA on May 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Well, thank god that mystery’s solved. /

changer1701 on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

JPeterman on May 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Why?

INC on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Instead of spending so much time on this story, why wont Allah or Ed will do a post on the Tea Party Patriot JT Ready

Uppereastside on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Now, having read some of Mr. Grenell’s kazillion tweets, I’m not as butthurt (heh) over him being shown the door. His frequent “Gossip Girl” snark was most unprofessional.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Uppereastside on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I agree. Other places have video of that OWS’er.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

This guy demonstrated recklessness, and such therefore would have generated an unserious perception about the campaign. I don’t care how smart the guy is, and it is certainly irrelevant that he’s gay, because I don’t think that the worst economy since the Great Depression has really sunk-in. It’s serious. And the campaign can’t afford reckless, social media BS to detract from the serious, sober intent to repair the economy while real, voting, struggling people are biting at the bit to vote for one who can do just that.

And maybe its just me, but I find it very hard to take serious anyone who can’t control his tongue, much less that he does so on the same platform used by millions of teenagers. From sophomoric jabs on Twitter to foreign policy?

James OK on May 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Whether they caved to the bigots or failed to look at his Twitter, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in Team Romney. But to again quote many a teenager, whatever. It is a small story that will blow over soon.

McDuck on May 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Called it.

BKennedy on May 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

It seems that Grenell-style feminine bitchiness toward Gingrich is mandatory here at Hotair.

1) Hey Allah, Gingrich got over 2 1/2 million votes, and topped the polls for sustained periods twice during the campaign. Having a jerk like Grenell take a prominent position in the Romney campaign insulted a lot of people; it was not a minor matter.

2) And another thing, Allah: Somehow I missed your post introducing us to the rhetorically and analytically brilliant firecracker Erika Johnsen. Maybe you’re just embarrassed about the whole thing, and lying low. Seems that since Townhall took over, you’re just a functionary now. I know one thing: Michelle (boss Emeritus) would not have hired her.

BCrago66 on May 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

James OK, while some of his tweets may have been over the top, I can’t agree with the way you look at social media. Republicans need to embrace Twitter, Facebook, and other sites if they want to remain relevant. That includes using them for political humor.

McDuck on May 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

grenell was hired despite warning sirens going off because he was promoted by John Bolton, a loose cannon and bush dead-ender who is extremely influential in the Romney campaign for some reason. Grenell was never vetted because he worked for Bolton at the UN.

A good lesson for Romney re staff etc and looking ahead, VP and Cabinet picks. He needs to understand that everybody has to be vetted.

str8tface on May 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

It’s kind of funny when these guys figure out that the internet is forever. I’ve always enjoyed it when the Dems get clued into that video technology.

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Does this explain why AP quit Twitter..?/

d1carter on May 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Hey well who among us would have thought to check someones twitter account before hiring them to be a foreign policy spokesperson for a presidential campaign?

Groan.

Sacramento on May 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I don’t believe it was the twitter posts. I believe it was what was said here:

“Obviously they planned to use him as a spokesman soon, just not as soon as Grenell would have liked.”

Grenell impresses me as someone who can have a sort of very aggressive style that doesn’t take well to not being in the fray. I think the holding back was fundamentally incompatible with his personality type and it possibly angered him so he left.

That said, it doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be a position for him later if he wants it. I mean, say Romney is elected and Bolton is Secretary of State. He might still bring Grenell on board as his spokesman.

crosspatch on May 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

str8tface on May 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Isn’t this an elementary aspect of being a politician? Doesn’t this put to lie the meme of Romney’s “competence?” Or am I, as usual, completely misunderstanding what happened?/

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

McDuck on May 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I don’t really disagree with you. I think communication is good, and really have no opinion of the method per se. My point was that taking pot shots, a juvenile behavior, on the same medium used by teenagers (and at the same level), promotes unseriousness about the state of the country.

James OK on May 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So he’s not a Milquetoast so he didn’t fit the format. You can’t expect a peacock to pretend it’s a pea hen.

I think it’s a loss he had the credentials. Imagine a Romney hire that adds some depth and dimension to the campaign.

Dr Evil on May 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

republicans: home of homophobia. thru grenell under bus

gemini on May 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Good grief. Get out of that damn closet already, Allah.

Stoic Patriot on May 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The only reason this is such a story is that the man was gay. If he wasn’t-meh. All appointees have detractors and some resign because of it. The problem is when the story becomes ABOUT the spokesman(twitter feeds) and not the candidate he is trying to message for.

melle1228 on May 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Okay, the country’s going to sh-t, and I’m supposed to care about this. Riiiight

the botnet on May 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Grenell’s “humor” =

Ha-ha Callista Gingrich.
Ha-ha Michelle Obama.
Ha-ha Callista Gingrich.
Ha-ha Rachel Maddow.
Ha-ha Callista Gingrich.
Ha-ha Malia Obama.
Ha-ha Callista Gingrich.

#SeriousMan

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

So the worst thing about Mitt is he hired a gay guy for the campaign and it didn’t work out? Seriously? Is this a joke?

n0doz on May 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

“I wonder if newt has investments in Lipitor.”…

Newt WHO?????

Laura in Maryland on May 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

So apparently we are now taking New York Times stories as gospel.

Why do an interview with Grenell when we can just speculate.

No wonder Dan Rather thinks he got a raw deal.

The Ugly American on May 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It would appear that Grenell put his own ego and then hurt feelings above defeating Herr Obama.

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

n0doz on May 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM

That’s not the worst thing about Mitt. It’s just the worst thing about Mitt that the rombots will admit to.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Yeah, but given how many people who loathe Mitt for policy reasons are doing that, how can anyone be surprised?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Nice to see that an issue that “could” be damaging to the Romney campaign is further exploited by Allah and the New York Times. Hey, let’s all have a seminar on how social issues will bury Mitt, while Obama pretends to be a Christian advocating for aborting third-term babies while patting the gay community on their heads. The last time I checked, I thought this was a Conservative Website?????

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Gay political consultant makes catty comments about women and fat guys.

News at 11.

The Ugly American on May 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

The last time I checked, I thought this was a Conservative Website?????

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That started going out the door when Michelle Malkin departed.

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

The last time I checked, I thought Romney was supposed to be conservative. Oh well. I am conservative because I live in the world the way it is, not the way I want it to be.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Uppereastside on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Who’s Tea Party? Not mine…and pretty sure that the 99.95% of the other groups out there are the same…

Now, if you wanna talk whackjobs, lets just look at OWS …and look, and keep looking because its a panorama of intellectually lazy sperm that need a fire hose, laundry soap, and wire brushes just to reach the level “dirty”.

BlaxPac on May 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Obama might be surprised. I don’t know. But he would be pleased, I’m sure.

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Dr Evil on May 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Hello.

The Ugly American on May 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I know this much for sure – Romney is more conservative than hotgas and no one still here has deserted hotgas.

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

And the last time I checked, the primary mission is to send Obama back to Chicago. Please tell me I wrong (and why) gryphon.

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM

This is still a conservative website. Conservative does not mean talking only about issues that make the Republican nominee look good.

McDuck on May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Bad Rovin, bad, stirring up the tru-cons.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You and I are on the same page, Rovin. While I loathe Mitt Romney from a policy standpoint, I want to send Obama packing far worse than I want to keep Romney out of the Oval Office, and yet somehow I find myself scorned by those who seem to love Romney as well as those who hate him. I’m giving some serious thought to dropping out of the Blogosphere over the Summer, if not until after the general election…

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I stand by my original take on all this. Stupid. In addition to Kools take. So Stupid.

Bmore on May 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Dude really, again?

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Bmore on May 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Sorry, who are you? Some noob?

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

There are simply no words to adequately express my apathy for this (what should be) non-issue.

The guy in question is gay…I don’t care.
He gave some off-color tweets, supposedly…I don’t care.
He stepped down…I still don’t care.
Some people tried to get him to stay…don’t care about that, either.

I still don’t get why this guy is an issue. He affects the quality of my life, how? He doesn’t. Anybody making an issue out of this, for OR against, needs to get a freaking life. Jeez.

sage0925 on May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Dude really, again?

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM

What? It’s true. I’ve taken flack from the ABR contingency that absolutely refuses to vote for Romney, apparently for my willingness to defeat Obama by helping Romney, and I’ve taken equally vitriolic flack from the rombot cadre that thinks if I’m going to help Romney, I should refrain from voicing my policy beefs in the middle of the pre-convention season how that he has it wrapped up. I couldn’t win for losing at this point.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I couldn’t win for losing at this point.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Not to those who remember your non-stop disingenuous attacks on all candidates not Palin or Bachman.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

sage0925 on May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Anything that the Dems and their lapdogs in the LSM can make hay of in the general election can affect the chance of Obama being re-elected, and ergo will indirectly affect your life.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

And for the record my friend, Mitt Romney was hardly my choice for a “conservative” representative in the White House. That said, we are in total agreement that Obama needs to go. Please consider that with a strong down-ticket that gives us both the House and the Senate, Romney MUST adhere to the will of the people—thru their representatives. The alternative is just not acceptable.

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Stunning that someone wasn’t vetted. How did that happen?? That’s never happened before. Never!

Erich66 on May 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Uppereastside on May 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

You mean, registered Democrat JT Ready?

Archivarix on May 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

But did you forget I threw my lot in With Herman Cain? And then Santorum? Dude, face it: I wanted to keep Romney from the nomination. I failed. Life goes on. I’m all about reconnoitering and making the best of what I feel is now an unavoidably bad situation. There may have been times when my frustration got the better of me and my lips were a little loose, but I’ve always tried hard to put principles above personalities. And to that end, I don’t really feel like a pissing match with you tonight, Coz.

As relates to the actual subject matter of this thread, I do think Grenell’s tenure with the Romney campaign was handled poorly, and I do think it was an amateur mistake that makes me cringe, but the truth is it’s really not that big of a deal in the scheme of things. The Dems will exploit anything they see as a weakness in Romney’s campaign because that’s what Dems do. My fear is that it will be the death of Romney’s campaign by a thousand cuts, but my feelings concerning Romney have little-to-nothing to do with his political accumen. Just like I said upthread, I’m living in the world the way it is, and not the way I want it to be. And Romney is going to be the nominee post-convention; I shall soldier on under that assumption.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I don’t really feel like a pissing match with you tonight, Coz.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yet you suggest a guy who hasn’t been as “off the rails” as you take a break, for months…go figure.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM

That’s what I thought in 1994, too (just a couple years before I turned 18). It was even looking pretty good until Newt lost the Speakership and the gains were all pissed away in less time than it took to make them. Since then, I’m not a terribly trusting soul.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Sorry, who are you? Some noob?

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

HeIIfire, I’m not even here. ; )

Bmore on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I don’t really feel like a pissing match with you tonight, Coz.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Who did I suggest take a break for months? I said *I* might drop out of the blogosphere for a few months. I’m normally not real quick to suggest that others stop posting; it’s not in my nature to play the “shut up” game, though I have taken a break from HotAir on more than one occasion myself. You sure you read that right?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

You sure you read that right?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Just remembering other times.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

a campaign known for its no-stone-unturned

That explains this

joekenha on May 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

str8tface on May 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Great post, Str8t! I think you might be right about why Team R didn’t vet the guy. I don’t agree about Bolton being a “dead ender”.

But still, I think of presidential campaign as ,at least, a skilled as the PR dpt. of a super bowl contender. The nygiants(-) would know if a wide receiver was on twitter making a spectacle of himself.

You can pay an online service a few hundred dollars and they’d come up with all that twitter + somthing extra. Romney needs to shell out $200 the next time they bring someone on. Stop being cheap.

BoxHead1 on May 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

You sure you read that right?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Just remembering other times.

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

The other times I’ve what? Suggested that commenters here leave and/or take a break? Can you cite one for me? I’m in a conciliatory mood tonight. If you really think it’s in my nature to tell Rovin to take a break, given all the examples you’ve cited in the past of my “unhinged” nature, I’m really curious to know why you’d think that.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Sorry, who are you? Some noob?

cozmo on May 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

HeIIfire, I’m not even here. ; )

Bmore on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

…didn’t you get hit with a club by a man wearing all black with a black helmet and visor on May 1st?..you were inn a crowd, and some had drums or something!
(:>)

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

So, Team Romney doesn’t hang out on Twitter. That’s one point in their favor. I bet they don’t walk around the grocery store with an earpiece hooked over their ear uttering a series of mindless inanities to someone without a life on the other end, either.

How did so many of us get through so many years without the ability to narrate everything we’re doing to someone who’s elsewhere?

“OK, I’m in the bread aisle now. Oh, here it is. Man, this has gone up again. You know my bread? It’s gone up again! It’s $3.25 now. Man. OK, I see the coffee creamer down there…”

J.E. Dyer on May 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

May 1st?..you were inn a crowd, and some had drums or something!
(:>)

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Minor correction. ” and some had guns or something! ” Still not here though. Do not be fooled by these comments. ; )

Bmore on May 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Come on, J.E. You know better. The beef isn’t that Romney wasn’t on Twitter. The beef is that Grenell was, and the Romney campaign didn’t make it a point of finding out what Grenell was doing there. Even if that’s not really how it went down, that’s how the Obama campaign will spin it.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Hey, shipmate, you grill the beef your way, I’ll grill it mine. The media will never tire of the Democrats’ silly beefs, but I’m confident the people are beginning to.

J.E. Dyer on May 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Chalk it up to difference of opinion, then. And I can deal with a difference of opinion. But I’m telling you, if you have faith in people, there’s nowhere to go but disappointment. For the pessimist like myself, the only surprises are pleasant ones. ;-)

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Other than Newt’s nefarious book deal that netted him around four million, (and later turned out to be perfectly legal), the hypocritical liberals in the House and the media drove Gingrich to retire as the Speaker. Even several of his supposed “assets” in the House turned on him, saying he could no longer be effective/affective with the dirt thrown at him. Newt might even admit, he fought back hard against both sides and burnt some bridges. That said, it was pure delight to see the Democratic House’s 40 year control implode under Gingrich and his army of conservatives crush Pelosi and company. Good times!

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

…so the Dems could get it back a mere 8 years later. The price of freedom is eternal vigilence. And I doubt the American people have it in them — then or now.

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

libfreeordie on May 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

And you care why?

sandee on May 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

It matters because Romney is running as a CEO/POTUS. His HR department apparently sucks, which doesn’t say much for the competence of the CEO.

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

James OK on May 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Yup. Not exactly “top diplomat” material, is he?

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Yup. Not exactly “top diplomat” material, is he?

funky chicken on May 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I didn’t realize that “foreign policy spokesman” means that he’s part of the diplomatic corps. And as for Romney’s suitability to CiC and CEO/POTUS, have you seen some of the abysmal characters Obama’s appointed without so much as congressional oversight?! I’m no Romney fan, but to get upset over this? Less than a mere trifle?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

So, when do the stories on Van Jones, Valerie Jarrett, Bill Ayers, and other Obama campaign advisors come out? The education cabinet chair, the bully from the administration — gee, those all seem somewhat newsworthy. One campaign dude on Romney’s staff? Not so much.

AZfederalist on May 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I’m no Romney fan, but to get upset over this? Less than a mere trifle?

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I think you may be right both times.
The flap over Grenell is rightfully a trifle, but you can never be sure what will develop from small perturbations among the electorate.

Chaos theory of politics?

AesopFan on May 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Uhm. no. That is not true. There was a Republican mutiny and Newt was practically run out of the House on a rail by fellow Republicans when they learned he was doing the same thing Bill Clinton was doing … fooling around with an intern while married to someone else.

crosspatch on May 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Sorry…still don’t care. I will vote against Obama…that’s all you need to know.

sage0925 on May 4, 2012 at 4:52 AM

The last time I checked, I thought this was a Conservative Website?????

Rovin on May 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That started going out the door when Michelle Malkin departed.

VorDaj on May 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM

again, the democrat party is the most ruinous bunch of freaks since the bolsheviks and the brownshirts and are all professional revolutionaries, i wonder who their trotsky or ernst rohm will be? anyway, what we have here at hot air, is a bunch of handwringers and sissy whiners who’ll complain about our side, right up to the point they realise they are producing munitions for their new overlords.
hey allah, how about we talk about obamas idiocy here, instead of tearing down the good guys?

tm11999 on May 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

The fact that Grenell’s gay and he can’t keep his Twitter shut are two mutually exclusive things. Being gay has ZERO to do with this UNTIL AP and his ilk (aka LS media) make it an issue.

These are manufactured issues and entirely beside the point. They do however, convince me that most Hot Gasser’s are closet liberals.

DevilsPrinciple on May 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM

gryphon202 on May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Sorry…still don’t care. I will vote against Obama…that’s all you need to know.

sage0925 on May 4, 2012 at 4:52 AM

I don’t expect you to care, nor do I think you should. You asked how this affects you, and I answered. Chaos theory of politics indeed.

gryphon202 on May 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Because all Conservatives understand that the NYT is the font of all wisdom and honest reporting. Grains of salt not needed, apparently.

cicerone on May 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

DevilsPrinciple on May 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I tend to agree but there’s only one that fits that profile. The quality of the posting definitely plummets in the evening.

cicerone on May 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Romney campaign is very poorly run but that is nothing new for Republican campaigns as we are beginning to see when the establishment takes over running them. There is an article at the Washington Times about the lack of security for donors at the Romney Super PAC which is run by his campaign people.

When your campaign is all about spending an enormous amount of money to win even when it means doing ‘scorched earth’ against fellow candidates, missing ballot boxes, dead voters voting, rigged debates with liberal moderators, people voting absentee in more than one state, and turning away voters at caucuses for starters you have a real problem. The support from the grassroots conservatives and Tea Party is not there in a lot of instances and frankly the way the establishment has run this whole primary to make sure Romney is the nominee through their puppet Priebus, I doubt if that support ever materializes.

Any candidate for the Republican Party that longs for the days of Jimmy Carter on any issue is out of touch with those of us who tried to sell homes due to a transfer when the interest was 16%.

This is more of the same from a campaign that thinks rules don’t apply and conservatives are to shut up, sit down, and vote for Romney in November with no questions asked. I run a blog and the number of emails from the people who swallowed the Romney koolaid have gotten comical if you don’t take them seriously. They are worse than Democrats with comments that end up in spam and a lot nastier. How much are they paid to post and send complaints to any blog that dares to question their hero?

PhiKapMom on May 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM