Newt bows out: “Suspending the campaign does not mean suspending citizenship”

posted at 5:25 pm on May 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

He leaves with lots of debt and good humor:

“I’m cheerfully going to take back up the issue of space,” he remarked. “My wife has pointed out to me approximately 219 times, give or take three, that moon colony was probably not my most clever comment in this campaign. I thought frankly in my role as providing material for Saturday Night Live, it was helpful.”

“This is not a trivial area,” Gingrich said of space. “This is a fundamental question about whether we’re still a country that dreams and hat goes out to pursue great adventure and that has the courage to say to young people yes you ought to go into math and science because there’s a wonderful future doing really important things. I happen to think that’s a better future than metamorphine and cocaine and I’m going to argue for a romantic American future of doing things that matter, that get to the human spirit.”

No official endorsement of Romney today, as Ed noted this morning, but this non-endorsement endorsement reflects the sentiments of, oh, I’d guess 85 percent of the conservative base:

“This is not a choice between Mitt Romney and Ronald Reagan,” he pointed out. “This is a choice between Mitt Romney and the most radical, leftist president in American history.” Romney, Gingrich added, was also “60,000 times” more knowledgeable about how to spur job creation in the private sector than Obama.

Romney issued a statement within the last few hours praising Gingrich for bringing “creativity and intellectual vitality to American political life.” The irony of Gingrich’s campaign is that, because his role as a prominent pol ended so long ago, he’s thought of as a Republican dinosaur — and yet his strategy dispensed with old-fashioned conventional wisdom about what it takes to win. Everyone knew Romney was running and everyone knew that Romney would have a formidable organization and financial resources. The attack-ad carpet-bombing strategy that stopped Newt cold before Iowa and then won Florida for Mitt was, in other words, eminently foreseeable. And yet, aside from recruiting Sheldon Adelson to bankroll his Super PAC, Newt never seemed prepared to do much to counter those advantages. His game plan, I think, was to utterly dominate the debates and hope that the grassroots anti-Romney response would be so overwhelming that money and organization wouldn’t much matter. Through sheer force of personality and the favor of destiny, he’d neutralize Romney’s structural advantages and sweep to the nomination. That strategy was good enough to boost him to the top of the national polls not once but twice, but Mitt’s Super PAC ended up able to tamp down those surges almost at will with attack-ad spending. Maybe that’s how it had to be — there just weren’t enough wealthy donors out there willing to take a chance on Gingrich, whether because (a) he’d made enemies of them in the past at some point, (b) they feared giving big money to a candidate who might well implode eventually, and/or (c) they preferred Romney for reasons of inevitability or electability. Still, it’s odd to me even now that an old-school politician like Newt whose intelligence is respected even by his enemies would have had so many organizational problems from the very beginning. Good organization was the only way to have a fighting chance against Romney and yet it was always one of Newt’s problems. Odd.

That said, he seemed to enjoy the process to the very end, which is endearing and a comforting thought given how much he owes. Go read this piece by former Gingrich press secretary Rich Galen insisting that Newt will be fine. Two clips for you here, one of the farewell presser and the other, for Newt critics, via Mediaite of Shep Smith and Ed Rendell wondering how much damage Newt did to his legacy by holding on to the bitter end. As I say, read Galen on that. Answer: Probably not much.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Newt for NASA administrator?

MFn G I M P on May 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

How quickly will Hannity have Gingrich on…

Jeddite on May 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

He should stand as a cautionary tale to those who count their chickens before they hatch.

I very clearly remember him saying

“Well, Its pretty obvious that I’m going to be the nominee” when he was well up in the polls.

And look how that turned out.

Politricks on May 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Luckily for Newt, debtors’ prisons have been abolished…

DavidW on May 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM

…to the moon Alice Callista…to the moon!

KOOLAID2 on May 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

how much damage Newt did to his legacy by holding on to the bitter end

But he didn’t.

rhombus on May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Now again – who thought he ever stood any chance at all?
Aside from Callista.

verbaluce on May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Now again – who thought he ever stood any chance at all?
Aside from Callista.

verbaluce on May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

He was the only GOP candidate who at any point beat Romney in primary polling. Had he kept his cool in the Florida debates, focused more and earlier on state-by-state organization, and come up with a more conservative Bain critique focusing on the government subsidies and handouts Bain received (there were a lot), he very definitely could have won. Alas, it was not to be.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

What, did Shep want to cover a car chase or something?

d1carter on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Good bye, Newt. The moon is waiting for you. You are a truly ridiculous man.

NickDeringer on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Props to Newt for being congenial. He made a lot of missteps along the way, but he’s being classier than some politicians would be in this kind of situation, and for at least that, he can be commended.

gryphon202 on May 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

“I’m going to be the nominee. It’s very hard not to look at the recent polls and think the odds are very high I’m going to be the nominee.”
……………..Newt.

CYA

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Uh, AP? There’s something wrong with the front page caption (unless this is a direct quote).

“It was a truly ride.”

pookysgirl on May 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I don’t know why AP is so perplexed. Newt has always had the rep of a lose cannon…and undisciplined. Conservatives should not be fooled by the bluster and braggadocio.

Pelosi was a much better Speaker of the House….discipline, discipline, discipline. That’s not Newt. 1994 was a great year…and by 1998/9 he was out. Shooting star…bright, flashy, brief.

r keller on May 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I stand corrected: Santorum had a few weeks at the top of the polls as well in February 2012, post-Gingrich collapse. Had Newt run a better campaign, he could have continued his November/December and Late-January poll dominance and held off the February Santorum surge.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM

But for hubris.

Speakup on May 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

r keller on May 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

…She was speaker for exactly the same length of time Newt was, 4 years. I cannot believe a conservative would elevate that witch over a guy who brought us the first GOP house in 30 years. You should be ashamed of yourself.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Way OT: I just read the Junior Seau was found dead at his home. Very sad.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Beautiful dreamer, catcher of stars –
dance on with the faeries, and let your love light shine.

(‘primary polling’ – ha.)

verbaluce on May 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

But for hubris.

Speakup on May 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Oh yeah, Mitt doesn’t think highly of himself at all. Neither does Herman Cain. OR Rick Perry. Or Michele Bachman. Or Ron Paul. Or any other presidential candidate or wannabe since the dawn of time. Nope, only Gingrich thinks he’s got something to offer the world.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

gryphon202 on May 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

So? Are you willing to say the primary race is over yet? I mean, I know that Mitt doesn’t have the needed 1144 delegates and all, but is it finally time for you to bow to reality, in this respect at least?

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

He should start a foundation for men who cheat on their wives. Or maybe a PAC.

hanzblinx on May 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

hanzblinx on May 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

He can enlist his good buddy BJ Clinton as a partner in it!

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

He should start a foundation for men who cheat on their wives. Or maybe a PAC.

hanzblinx on May 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Patriotic. American. Cheaters.
PAC

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Sarah Palin hardest hit.

It had to be said :-)

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

All the way to Tampa. PLONK! Should have quit after Nevada.

rubberneck on May 2, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I dunno, the more I know about Romney, the less beneficial he seems to be. I will not chip a penny or more to his campaign coffers. I will not send a penny or more to anyone who has endorsed him, I do not care how much of a rising superstar they are. I will not make any phone calls on behalf of Romney or any of his endorsing (R)s. I will not vote for them either. I will not empower the progressive left of the party. This was the one year where rock solid next to crazy level for right conservative could have prevailed splendidly, and we could not even get someone right of center for our standard bearer? Screw the Republican party!

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Patriotic. American. Cheaters.
PAC

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

And wherever he is, Igor R. is doing a little victory troika around the room….

cynccook on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Somebody call the waaaaaaambulance!

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

So to get back at those theoretical better candidates for not running, you’re going to go all passive-aggressive on Romney? Sure, won’t they all be sorry when Obama gets re-elected! Brilliant strategy. See: cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face.

cynccook on May 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

And wherever he is, Igor R. is doing a little victory troika around the room….

cynccook on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Nostrovia Comrade Igor, wherever you may be!

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

cynccook on May 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Nope, I will not support a party that does not represent my ideals in any way at all. The Republican party no longer does. Time for it to fail and be replaced. We have the House of Representative, where all spending bills must originate, we were unable to save a billion dollars out of $20,000B being spent over the next 10 years. screw em. I am conservative, not Republican. Just like I am Christian, not catholic, baptist, or any other of the hundreds if not thousands of variances.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I commented this on Fox twice and it was blocked: “Newt is in debt to Moby Dick Airlines. It is owned by some Saudi Arabian company run by Russians. Perhaps he was angling for a golden parachute.” By the way, it is not an airline, it is a company that caters food to passengers on airlines, like Egyptian airlines for example.

jake49 on May 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I am conservative, not Republican
astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Conservatives don’t vote for Obama or make outrageous statements for the whole world see that you thought “Breitbart died of aids”, and then spend two days defending your nonsense.

You’re a nut.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for hanging in there Newt…

… Your ideas and debate performances kept the field to the right to the point that Romney has adopted them, and the media was given a black eye.

I am glad to hear you will still be working towards the things you believe in which can only help the Country…

… I wish you had the opportunity to debate Obowma, but maybe you can lend a hand to the Romney campaign to get Mittens ready.

(lifts glass)

“Thanks Again Newt!”

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You’re insane and not just misguided. That is the only explanation for one who claims to have a conservative bone his body stating that he would not vote for the only candidate with any kind of chance to rid this nation of Obama.

Screw you and the horse that screwed you first.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

It was a good run! Sorry, 7%.

cynccook on May 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

You’re a nut.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I dunno, you really want to drag Brietbart out again? It did not go well last time. You know, him enabling the leftists to bring in a trojan horse into the party and all. Yeah, he did some fighting, with the media, not so much FOR conservative values so much as just because he hated the media, the Republicans just happened to be the benefactors as the media is primarily made up of leftists, but when push came to shove, and it was hurt the media or help the cause, we know what way he would choose. So, attacking me for not supporting the Republicans by using Breitbart as a foil does not really do what you intend it to do.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Screw you and the horse that screwed you first.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Vote for the man destined to push conservatism into the wilderness for a period of time while at the same time kicking the man out that has been on a roll of destroying liberalism. Fair trade. Let Romney resuscitate the liberals while smothering the conservatives.

Remember, we went through this before with Bush and his congressional majority cohorts that destroyed conservatism and the Republican brand name so well that Americans actually found Obama to be a valid option. Not going to support it. I am going third party this go round it looks like. Just imagine who America will find as a valid option in 2016 after a Romney presidency! I wonder if Bill Ayers or Reverend Wright is illegible to be president.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Romney is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. He earned the nomination.

scotash on May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

*clink*

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

60,000 x 0 = ?

MadisonConservative on May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM

That’s right, it didn’t go well for you.

Coroner’s report released: Breitbart died of heart failure

Let the readers decide what kind of clown/troll/liberal you really are.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Romney is the man to lead AMERICA out of the wilderness. He will cut both personal and corporate taxes, reform entitlements, cut regulations and a dozen other measures that any conservative ought to stand up and cheer for!

Go back to your troll hole.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Let the readers decide what kind of clown/troll/liberal you really are.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Yup, I am the troll. Not the people attacking me personally in the thread. Here is the list of personal attacks from the first hundred comments… You will not something missing, my making a personal attack on anyone in the thread. You are the troll.

Here is a full list of direct personal attacks between me and another person from the first full 100 comments on this thread. I do not know, I just do not see a single one where I attacked anyone directly.

I knew you were a MOBY. I hope that gets you banned.

V7_Sport on April 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

astowhatever.Go to Hell you piece of sh.t!

sandee on April 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

What’s that at the bottom left hair area? “I retweet it to remind them that know I know exactly who they are.”

And we know who you are, freak. Thank you, Andrew.

Pablo on April 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It’s now confirmed that you are freaking loon. Enjoy voting for Obama you POS.

JPeterman on April 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

so you are nothing but a homophobe?

uncommon sense on April 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

If you didn’t know astoner was a dick before, well, now you do.

WeekendAtBernankes on April 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Most O-bot trolls are.

Rational Thought on April 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

You’ll just forget about all the rest of his career. The same old one-note samba. Keep it up, a$$hat.

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Really? Really?

I want to knock your block off. You deserve to be banned, tarred and feathered and then rolled into a camel’s armpit full of fleas.

You are a horrid person.

Key West Reader on April 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

And the moby tries damage control.

underemployed on April 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Keep dgging, Church Lady

katy the mean old lady on April 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Shove off, O-bot. You blew your cover.

Rational Thought on April 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Obama puts dog meat in his mouth..

His followers put another meat in theirs.

Electrongod on April 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Concern troll is concerned.

/PBBBBBBBT!

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Awwww. The O-bots didn’t like Andrew Breitbart. Shocka!

Rational Thought on April 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Do you give a greasy brown shit about the constitution and freedom? Because somehow I think you and I are on different pages here, that is assuming that you aren’t a snivelling MOBY, which I’m really beginning to wonder about.

gryphon202 on April 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM

astonerii on April 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Go back to your troll hole.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Uh huh. You know this because what? When he was running for president he said all those things? Hmm, I got a better metric for determining what someone will do while they are in power, I look at their past results while in power!

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You were attacked personally for making a fool out of yourself when you stated this…

I thought it would be aids related… my bad.

astonerii on April 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

See ya, trollboy.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Hang in there 7%.

Nostrovia!

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I know it because he is a scrupulously honest man of character. I know it because he has a brilliant mind that has plenty of real world success in both the private and public sector. I know it because he has committed to it in widely published plans that he has stood by and expanded upon since the day he entered the race. And I know for an absolute fact that Obama will not do any of those things that this country needs to avert disaster.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

You sound smitten.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Sure. I’ve had a man crush since the day I read his plan :-)

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Newt, thanks for making yourself irrelevant. You clearly were the winner at that. Now go away and beg Mitt to pay off the debts you racked up from your train wreck of a campaign.

Philly on May 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Romney attacked energy producers in his Home State of Massachusetts, where even he called himself a progressive. Not really looking good for his leading America out of the wilderness so far.

Romney was presented the opportunity to change the judicial branch at least nominally in Massachusetts with 50 open seats. Out of those 50, he was able to get 8 marginally attached to the Republican party of Massachusetts judges nominated. The rest he left open or filled with out and out liberal progressives, several of which were well known as progressive activists. Yeah, still not getting that Out of the Wilderness vibe.

Romney spent an inordinately large amount of his time as governor fighting Global Warming. From the Cap and Trade plan he created that failed immediately to the RGGI program that replaced it. He did this working with a man who advocated for the systemic poisoning of our water supply to make women infertile because he thinks humans are a disease that need to be eradicated. The guy was so far progressive leftist that Obama hired him to be his science czar! Still not getting that out of the wilderness warm fuzzy feeling.

Did we already mention Romneycare? Yeah… Out of the wilderness! LOL

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I thought it would be aids related… my bad.

astonerii on April 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

See ya, trollboy.

JPeterman on May 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You going somewhere? I thought we were just getting started. You really do not know Breitbart well at all. Not even his public persona it seems.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Sarah Palin hardest hit.

It had to be said :-)

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

She lives rent-free 24/7 in what passes for your mind.

It had to be said :-)

bw222 on May 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

bw222 on May 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Not true. She pays for that space in comic gold!

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sure. I’ve had a man crush since the day I read his plan :-)

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

The GOP version of the Obama crush: The SMittens. :)

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

LOL! That’s pretty good :-)

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

You know quite a few things. You willing to put any consequences on yourself when any of those things do not happen? You should make a nice long list, and since you are vouching for him, when he fails, you make yourself pay a price… I will make no difference to me, but a man of character would be willing to man up to his failures, and if Romney does not live up to your hype, I would say that is a failure of yours.

Now, as for Romney being a man of character… After overseeing a company that bilked the tax payers out of hundreds of millions of dollars in fake medicare fees, he sold it to another company. All this fraud occurred under his watch mind you, and the company that bought it from Romney caught the fraud and shut it down, but somehow or another Romney did not do one single thing to make things RIGHT. He just took the money and ran! Of course, being a super lawyer and all, I am sure he wrote that contract of sale iron tight, but a man of character, real character that is, would have made things right. Kind of like when ever I am given too much change, I return it, even if it costs me more in gas to do so than the money involved. Like if the clerk fails to ring up an item they put in my bag, I make sure they verify it was not rung up and then ring it up and I pay for it. Like the car I sold to a couple that had an oil leak, which I told them about, but when it broke down two months later, I gave them part of the sale money, even though I am sure they failed to to put the oil in. As a man of CHARACTER, I helped them out. Romney? He acts very much the man you say he is, then again, plenty of serial killers were known to have been the most awesomest of neighbors.

So, you make an actual list of what Romney will do, and then when he fails, you should self sacrifice as a man of character. Romney will never do that. If anything goes wrong, it will always be someone else’ fault. If something ever goes right, it was all him. I know another man who fits that bill, he is the current president.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Darned straight I know of lot. And he won’t fail to live up to his promises. If he doesn’t we will all pay the price, but that won’t happen, except in the feverish imagination of those who pretend that anyone who doesn’t pass their purity test is guilty of every conceivable sin, both now and in the future.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Its not a purity test… Its an accomplishments test.

Romneycare accomplishment, detrimental to him… First he considers responsibility to be something that is IMPOSED UPON A PERSON, not something a person takes on themselves. Much like you just assured me that Romney is totally awesome, but refuse to back it up with anything. The only responsibility you have is that which will be imposed upon you from an outside source. That is not conservative in any realm what-so-ever.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I doubt we’ll ever get the chance to find out, honestly. I hate to parrot Alec Baldwin, but there it is.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Pure hog wash. The fact is that Mitt is promising to do all the right things and PBHO is promising to do all the wrong things. All you can do is say that Mitt is lying about his entire agenda. Coming from you, I can think of no better character reference for him.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

What kind of self-respecting realist relies on candidate promises?

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Like I said, look at what he has done. Your just a stooge much like the Obama voters. But, hey, he is gonna do all this stuff for me! pay my mortgage, put gas in my car.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM

When those promises are widely published and repeated that candidate is holding himself accountable. There is a detailed road map that he has provided. He could not go back on those promises even if he wanted to, and he doesn’t want to. It would be political suicide, and render him incapable of governing. Romney is a very smart man and would not set himself up to fail.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Except of course that Mitt has made no such stupid promise. He has promised those things that are needed for this country to succeed and not stupid gimmicks designed only to get himself elected. It is why he has not pandered to wing nuts like you. He knows that doing so, even if politically advantageous, is asinine. You despise him for not pandering to you. Too bad, troll.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

It always takes a progressive, self professed kind like Romney is, one thing to get out of anything. “Things are worse than I was led to believe when I was running for president”. Then for people like you, you just adjust and back him up, like good sycophants. Look how long it is taking Obama supporters to give up on him…

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

A good run, Mr. Gingrich.

Thank you for talking sense in all of these absurd forums. It is not all for nothing.
Your voice is important.

bridgetown on May 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What a reject you must be to all who meet you in real life. Seriously? I despise him for not pandering to me? How about because his entire resume is built upon things that are out and out progressive wet and wild dreams that have come true!?!
Socialist medicine? check, Romney got it done!
Global Warming pacts signed into law? Check, Romney got it done!
Brought the tools of the trade of the progressive left to the Republican party? Check, Romney got it done!

Yeah, it is the lack of pandering that has me upset. It has actually been his pandering which has driven him even further out of reach of my vote than he started with his Massachusetts Resume!

I like to fire people!
Lets have the minimum wage go up regularly automatically instead of through votes of congress.
I was severely conservative!

There is a reason he does not pander. We see right through it, because his minds’ world view is so totally warped by his progressive inner nature that he cannot even bring himself to articulate any conservative ideals no matter how much money he spends on speech writers. Even when he finally had a descent coach to help him out, his EGO was too big to allow him to keep that guy there to help him out.

I believe in born again Conservatism. Many people out grow their progressive ideologies. Romney has not.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yeah, yeah. I know. He is lying about everything. Why I’ll bet he isn’t even a Mormon and that his 5 sons are really illegal aliens he pays minimum wage to pretend they’re his kids.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I believe in born again Conservatism.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Well if that isn’t the most rank pile of horse sh-t, I don’t know what is. Do you “born again conservatives” have a secret hand shake and password to your tree fort?

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

He could not go back on those promises even if he wanted to

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Yes, yes he can. People said the same thing about Obama, yet he’s broken nearly every campaign promise he made and his people still love him. Romney himself has changed positions more than once, it’s laughable to say he’ll never do it again. Romney is for Romney, first and foremost. If he needs to change a position or two to advance, he’ll do it. Past is prologue, as they say.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Thank you for your service, Mister Speaker. If only things had turned out better for you and all of us…

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yup, way to win hearts and minds. Take peoples’ legitimate arguments and then extend them out to the most bizare degree to make is seem ridiculous. Reductio ad absurdum is a form of falacious argument in which a proposition is disproven by following its implications to an absurd consequence. I know it is hard to argue with factual facts, so you have to make your own up. That is the way of the progressive left.

You argue that Romney’s words are superior to his previous actions. I logically argue that is not the best way to determine what a person will do once they have power. You on the other hand use illogical forms of argument to try to make my claim that Romney’s previous actions are more likely what he will revert to doing once in power rather than his made for the purpose of gathering votes position papers.

Your right MJBrutus, I have so totally argued that every single word out of Romney’s mouth is lie! You got me man, that is what I have always been saying! Not that, as a progressive by nature, it will be Romney’s natural tendency to revert back to promoting progressive solutions once president.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Brutus,

I guess you are either a blue-state RINO or a Mormon, perhaps both, and you’re just jazzed to vote for someone like yourself like the black people were for 0bama.

A lot of us don’t really see it as much of an improvement.

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Oh please. Comparing a man of character to the charlatan PBHO is the worst form of calumny. And Obama’s promises were not the kind of specific plans that Mitt has outlined, nor were they committed to in the certain terms that Mitt has provided. Self-serving specious comparisons only highlight your own lack of judgment, not Mitt’s.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Yup, way to win hearts and minds.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Your heart is not worth the winning and your mind is nonexistent. If I exaggerated your accusations against Mitt, it was a pretty small leap designed to belittle you, as if you haven’t done a stellar job of that all by yourself.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I have always been a natural conservative. I never had that period of youth where I was progressive. I grew up on Reagan, I was even to the right of Reagan as a child.

But many people go from being progressive when they are young to being conservative as they age. As they see how the real world works and functions, they see that progressive fantasies are just that, fantasies that can never be.

I can understand how you see it as horse sh!t, as you worship a man who has never wavered from his progressive natural instinct, and you are probably much like him, that is why you worship him as you do.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’m a NC atheist. But keep coming up with ways to avoid the truth about Mitt by foolishly attempting to discredit me.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

And without conservatives, Mitt fans, good luck getting Romney out of cheatin’ range in swing states.

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

So did you have a ceremony when you were born again as a conservative? Did they haze you?

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

MJB…I’m Smitten too and agree with everything you’ve said above. Romney wasn’t my first choice…but he ended up being the BEST choice and he will govern conservatively and brilliantly like an adult.
*******

One note on Newt. Romney didn’t beat Newt because of money. Newt beat Newt because despite his obvious talents…the American public came to know the WHOLE Newt and they didn’t like the package for a President. Romney won because Repubs determined they liked his skill set, the way he conducts himself in public and private and because they saw that he was the ONLY candidate who stands a good chance to beat Obama. They determined that BEAT OBAMA is far more important than self indulgent ideological purity.
It is nice to see those who did not support Mitt here jumping on board…even if not happy…because they can clearly see past their disappointment and make the best choice in their self-interest.
The self indulgent purists who decline to vote for Mitt marginalize themselves and deserve only ridicule for the next 4 years…no matter who wins.

camaraderie on May 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Small leap from arguing that Romney is a natural progressive at heart, based on his past statements, actions and life to everything we think we know about Romney is all a lie? I guess a progressive would find that a small leap, I find it to be about 3 bridges further down the road. A couple of magnitudes more extreme.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Triangle or Charlotte? Because small-town NC is highly unlikely.

In other words, you probably have neighbors who have 0bama 2012 bumper stickers, and helped put him over the top in ’08. Your job and life revolve around community events dominated by liberals, and subconsciously, you are going native.

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

No more extreme that pretending that he won’t work to reform the tax code and entitlements as promised. No more extreme than to pretend he won’t work with Congress to repeal ObamaCare.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Fascinating. Tell me, do I like dogs? I have so much to learn about myself from you.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Actually it is. As Romney has already shown how he reforms taxes, he increases fees. Actually it is. As Romney has already argued that he will toss the bad and keep the good parts of Obamacare. The bad parts are on how to pay for it, the good parts are things like the individual mandate and must issue.
Tell me all about his plan, I have video of him and actual Gubernatorial records that show that his plan is more of a prop than a proposal.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

camaraderie on May 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

LOL. Yep, it’s not that Mitt made mistakes and failed to secure his base, nor that the DC establishment and conservative media crapped on every candidate not named Mitt because “it’s his turn”, it’s that we are “self-indulgent”. Always blame conservatives. Always.

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Actually it is.

Tell me all about his plan

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Actually, it isn’t any more absurd than your other accusations.

The Romney plan.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM

alwaysfiredup on May 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Bears repeating. Again, good luck getting Mitt out of cheating range in the states he needs without conservatives.

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Sekhmet on May 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM\

Yeah, if you keep repeating it often enough, you may even convince yourself. But any rational observer can plainly see that chasing a few fringe votes at the cost of many times more reasonable votes is a sure fire strategy for losing.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Someone ask George Bush where he would have been in 2005 without the “fringe” being there to get out the vote efforts. McCain can probably tell you that one too for 2009…

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

More self-serving comparisons that have no applicability. Neither of them ran against a failed incumbent. Both of them were career politicians who spoke the language of government and lacked any understanding of economic realities.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM

But how? A growth agenda for the nation requires several parts: (1) an emphasis on productivity growth, with policies to support saving and investment, innovation and research, trade, education, and training; (2) a budget framework that does not threaten our fiscal health; (3) tax policy that enhances economic growth; (4) regulation that balances growth with concerns about safety and soundness; and (5) a healthy financial system that meets the needs of savers and borrowers.

1) Give special benefits to special people, having the government pick the winners and losers. Obama is doing that today.
2) I’ll look for more detail…
3) Duh!
4) I always love how Romney thinks REGULATIONS are the way to a free economy that will thrive. Just let me make the orders and you can all be living on easy street!
5) Here again, government picking winners and losers.

Oh boy, this is going to be fun. Romney is NOT CONSERVATIVE and even when he tries, cannot pretend for even a written exercise to be conservative.

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM

astonerii on May 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM

What a stupid, cynical and egregiously dishonest characterization. Point number is picking winners and losers? Are you freaking high? All regulations are evil and the government has no role in your feeble mind in establishing a fair and efficient market place? A healthy finance system is somehow picking winners and losers? Don’t look down, or you’ll see the shark swimming below you, as you slip the surly bonds of rational thought.

MJBrutus on May 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Good for you, Newt. Newt is taking the high road, and I admire him for it. Whatever his defects, he does have the capacity to see the big picture.

Burke on May 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Shepherd Smith is insufferable and classless. He’s one of the reasons why I barely give Fox News a glance anymore. They made a conscience decision to thumb their nose at their core and loyal base of viewers.

Reggie1971 on May 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM

he seemed to enjoy the process to the very end,

Lots of us did. Thanks Newt!

lynncgb on May 2, 2012 at 8:28 PM