Elizabeth Warren: I listed myself as minority in order to make friends “with people who are like I am”

posted at 4:41 pm on May 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

Why didn’t she just say so in the first place? After all, who among us hasn’t wildly exaggerated his/her ethnicity for social purposes? Just last week, I joined an Eskimo book club by claiming that I’m 1/512th Inuit.

By “people who are like I am,” I take it she means … people who are 1/32nd Cherokee?

“I listed myself in the directory in the hopes that it might mean that I would be invited to a luncheon, a group something that might happen with people who are like I am. Nothing like that ever happened, that was clearly not the use for it and so I stopped checking it off,” said Warren…

“Being Native American has been part of my story I guess since the day I was born,” said Warren, who never mentioned her Native American heritage on the campaign trail even as she detailed much of her personal history to voters in speeches, statements and a video. “These are my family stories, I have lived in a family that has talked about Native American and talked about tribes since I was a little girl.”

The baseless accusation of sexism against Brown is a nice touch. I thought she’d leave it to her campaign spokesman to shovel shinola like that, but it’s better that she does it herself. If you’re willing to exaggerate your ancestry to claim vicarious racial victimhood, why wouldn’t you smear Scott Brown to claim gender victimhood too?

Riddle me this. If it was all about making Native American friends in order to get in touch with her roots, why’d she keep up the “minority” listing in that professional directory for fully nine years (1986-1995)? She says she stopped checking it off because the hoped-for socializing never happened, but that’s not a conclusion that should take nine years to arrive at. Also, if she was serious enough about discovering her Cherokee ancestry that she’d describe herself as minority in a faculty listing, she must have been reaching out to the Cherokee community in her spare time too. Makes no sense that the professional listing would be her only attempt to befriend this group of people. So what else did she do in that vein? If the answer’s “nothing,” then it becomes awfully hard to believe this was anything more than her way of adding a diversity credential to her CV.

Second look at Martha Coakley?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m not sure I’ve ever had my intelligence so insulted.

PerceptorII on May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I ate some Mazola “You Call It Corn-oil” spread once.

I await Harvard’s call.

MidniteRambler on May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Eric Holder to the white courtesy phone.

CurtZHP on May 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Holder is not taking her calls.

The Administration says it never heard of her.

Good news: She will always have a home with the Occupy movement.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Wanted, one 1/32nd Cherokee babe feeling the urge to merge with a 1/32nd Cherokee stud. Object, practice purifying the blood line.

No fatties or College Professors.

See why they went unanswered?

BL@KBIRD on May 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This woman is nuts.

RasThavas on May 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

…DUH!…she’s a liberal!

KOOLAID2 on May 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

affirmative action slut

burserker on May 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

“The only one as I understand it who’s raising any question about whether or not I was qualified for my job is Scott Brown and I think I am qualified and frankly I’m a little shocked to hear anybody raise a question about whether or not I’m qualified to hold a job teaching,” she said, pushing to put Brown on defense. “What does he think it takes for a woman to be qualified?”…

So, supposedly, there were these social circles filled with people who are like she is, but in order to join these groups (which she wanted to do because they’re filled with people like she is), she had to lie about who she was in order to be considered qualified?

After this incoherent explanation, I would think a whole lot more people than just Scott Brown should start questioning her qualifications to be a teacher.

BlueCollarAstronaut on May 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

in order to make friends “with people who are like I am”

That’s why she’s running for Congress!

faraway on May 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

How dare you guys pile on Lizzy Warren. She has so many challenges as a mixed race woman, y’know?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Holder is not taking her calls.

The Administration says it never heard of her.

Good news: She will always have a home with the Occupy movement.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM

…maybe Jay Carney knows 3 Elizabeth Warren’s??????

KOOLAID2 on May 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM

And to think, Obama was going to put her in charge of our credit cards.

JeffWeimer on May 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The most frustrating thing about this is that the next poll that comes out will probably still show a dead heat.

Mark1971 on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Dude. If I would have listed myself as 1/16th African, which I AM, I would have been booted out of Northwestern for lying on my application because that level of minority doesn’t count!!!

Washington Fancy on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Elizabeth Warren is a composite of many races and nationalities, you wingnuts.

faraway on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wow – was she also under sniper fire in Bosnia???

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Elizabeth Warren is a composite of many races and nationalities, you wingnuts.

faraway on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

LOL, composite is from that other snark thread – the 8000 words of Barry’s composite past.

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Jeez — enough with the over analyzation and the deep-in-the-tank-liberal MSM defending her and ignoring her transgressions already. Even the New England Historic Genealogical Society that bolstered her claim by stating she is 1/32 Cherokee via a great-great-great-grandmother’s marriage application is unable to prove their own assertion to be truth.

Elizabeth Warren is an atypical self-serving conscienceless mealymouthed disingenuous liberal skag Democrat pol with a personal agenda. Which is more-or-less par for the course for a friggin’ Harvard lawyer anyways.

‘Nuff said. Period. End of story.

FlatFoot on May 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Faux-cahontas

This surely gets to B+.

logdogsmith on May 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

i’m 1/4 chikasaw—can i get a job teaching or run for public office on only that “qualification”? must i keep working a real job with all youse european interlopers?

why are y’all always keeping the red man down?

devadevadasa on May 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM

My great grandfather’s brother was an officer in the 1st Choctaw and Chickasaw Mounted Rifles. How about you using your pull with the Chickasaw Nation to see that the Windstar Casino slots treat my wife a bit better.

Linh_My on May 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

All modern humans, with the exception of those from Sub-Saharan Africa, have some Neanderthal genes.

Our Neanderthal ancestors were not simply mistreated by Homo Sapiens, but were driven into extinction.

In the name of social justice, we must demand that the “pure” Homo Sapiens among us make amends for the past injustices carried out by their ancestors, upon our own. And that our rich, Neanderthal heritage be recognized and promoted as an essential component of a culturally-diverse society.

I smell grant money.

The Resolute Desk on May 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I will never understand the perpetual victimhood that some people engage in. If someone criticizes me I don’t immediately jump to the conclusion that they just really hate people with Muscular Dystrophy.

Sure it’s easier and less harmful to your ego to claim that the only reason you are being criticized is because of some sort of bigotry but damn sack up. I hate people like Brown.

MFn G I M P on May 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Good grief. I wonder if she has ever visited Cherokee, NC? She could have met plenty of Cherokees there, maybe even had dinner and a little gambling relaxation at the casino. Oh, maybe that’s too plebeian for a Harvard princess.

RebeccaH on May 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM

This surely gets to B+.

logdogsmith on May 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Go read the post at Ace Of Spades. “Dances With Socialism” and “Taxagawea” are definitely A+.

Mark1971 on May 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Man O’ MAN !!

What a truly pathetic human being…

I weep for my species….

(just like good ol’ Iron Eyes Cody in the “cryin injun” commercials)

BigSven on May 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What people? Blue-eyed blondes? She could have just taken a trip to Copenhagen (the happiest city in the world, donchaknow) and had a blast.

totherightofthem on May 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Wow, she deserves a Pow!

profitsbeard on May 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

In other words, you had no ties with any Cherokees at any time and you had to mention your tenuous link to them in an attempt to find some and get invited to their parties? Even though you had lived in Oklahoma?

Seriously? Because Native Americans are always checking resume’s to see who would be cool to invite to parties.

I’m not Lakota but since I live in SD anytime I want to go to a pow wow or sweat lodge I’d know where to find some. In fact I’ve done it. They are very gracious hosts. You wouldn’t put some bogus credential on a resume’ hoping they would be able to track you down like Tonto on the trail. And I understand that Cherokee are just as numerous in OK.

I think sister Dances with Lies forgot how to speak without forked tongue.

Lily on May 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

She gamed the system. Now the game is over.

fleiter on May 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM

All members of my tribe are taught from a very early age to stay far away from loco paleface women.

Hinmahtooyahlatkek on May 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Scott Brown really leads a charmed life. Runs in a deep blue state, manages to get opposed by two train wreck candidates who couldn’t win dog catcher if their lives depended on it.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Literally everyone except for the TruCons lucked out with this guy. He’s immensely popular, immensely personable, and a damn decent human being with a great family. We couldn’t have had a better person to run in 2010.

KingGold on May 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wow – was she also under sniper fire in Bosnia???

No, Little Big Horn.

Fabozz on May 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Ethnicity on government forms is such a scam. All you have to do is say you are an ethnicity and the game is on. Just pray you don’t get discovered by people of that actual ethnicity. They will make you pay.

fleiter on May 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I have love how “family lore” is great when it’s Elizabeth Warren and a hanging offense when it’s Marco Rubio.

lizzieillinois on May 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Professor Sitting Horseface was never invited to luncheon at the Liars’ Club, because she is so bad at it.

Can she recover after she become the object of almost universal derision when the election is still 6 more months to go?

galtani on May 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

FlatFoot on May 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM

You know what? She “looks” like a liberal too.

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

By the way, aren’t we all African if you believe the anthropologists? Does that make me African-American?

fleiter on May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Anuun*, is that you?!!

*(Means “man with the hammer”)

de rigueur on May 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Why is Elizabeth Warren trying to steal this woman’s minority status….isn’t that like trying to steal another person’s identity spirit?

Dr Evil on May 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

So she thought checking the Native American box was like setting up a profile on e-harmony?

malclave on May 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Wow – was she also under sniper fire in Bosnia???

I bet her father drove all the way across Poland with 0bama’s maternal grandfather in the US Army to liberate Auschwitz.

MidniteRambler on May 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

So… having overstated the “Native American” thing a tad, what else on her CV is inflated. Besides her ego?

de rigueur on May 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Gee, I thought Scott Brown was impugning her integrity, not her qualifications to be a “teacher.” My momma always said, if you lie about the small stuff . . .

natasha333 on May 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Liz Sitting Bullshitter

Resist We Much on May 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

iowntheworld has a great p-shop on this:

sbvft contributor on May 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM

LOL! That’s downright funny.

totherightofthem on May 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

So Liz feels like a Cherokee, hopefully only one at a time ?

Sandybourne on May 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Yikes, this is the thought processes of a Harvard Law professor?

Give me a break!

patch on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

With any luck someone wil ask her a question about the BoSox and she’ll do another Martha.

a capella on May 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

what’s in your peace pipe..?

affenhauer on May 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

1/32 breed.

antipc on May 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“I have lived in a family that has talked about Native American and talked about tribes since I was a little girl.”

My little sister used to say when she was three or four that she was either going to be an Indian* or a horse when she grew up. If that was how she identified am I part Native American, or equine?

I can’t wait ’til the next census!

*Back in the 60′s it was okay to say Indian.

Fallon on May 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Yikes, this is the thought processes of a Harvard Law professor?

Give me a break!

patch on May 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Pulling down a little less than a half million a year. Diversity is our strength!

a capella on May 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I’m not sure I’ve ever had my intelligence so insulted.

PerceptorII on May 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Just you wait. The fun’s only starting!

kim roy on May 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Well, let`s get used to it. She`s going to win. I don`t see Brown getting Tea Party support or anything like what he got when he won.

ThePrez on May 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Sure you did, honey. Google is not Lonely Girl’s friend. She joined Harvard Law in 1992:

Native Americans at Harvard College (NAHC) is the only Native American undergraduate club at Harvard. NAHC has existed under several names: first, as American Indians at Harvard College, started in 1972 and officially recognized as a Harvard organization in 1974, then, as Native Americans at Harvard-Radcliffe from 1993-1999. NAHC’s current name came into being with the merger of Harvard and Radcliffe College. NAHC is one of the six oldest ethnic/cultural organizations at Harvard College.

NAHC seeks to provide social, intellectual and cultural activities for both Native students at Harvard and for other interested members of the Harvard community. NAHC recognizes that Native students are an ultra-minority and attempts to foster a sense of community among our members.

Why did she make no attempt to contact this group so she could have “luncheons” with them?

Buy Danish on May 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Is she one of Obama’s composite girlfriends?

WhatNot on May 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Poor pathetic lib. – no friends

Maybe we should all friend fraud her on Facebook

txdoc on May 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM

This sounds like the product of a team meeting to figure out what we can tell the yubbas to keep them from fleeing our campaign.

Lonetown on May 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“with people who are like I am”…. what, white??????

t on May 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

So…we’re to take it that she was lonely?

And incapable of finding/making friends without spinning some BS story about minority status?

And stuck with the BS story in professional publications?

And did so in a way that allowed the employer to game those all so important minority quota reports?

And the people of Mass. are supposed to want this person representing them?

Of course, it is a few steps up from Teddy’s behavior…

krome on May 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

…and who would that be? Liars?

“…nothing like that ever happened, that was clearly not the use for it and so I stopped checking it off,” said Warren…

…I see…it proved not to be useful in your social or career ascent, so you dropped the subterfuge.

…I’m wondering why she didn’t claim to be 1/32nd black…er, African-American…after all, being black over the last fifty years of “progressive” group-think has proven to be vastly more fashionable…look to Mr. Obama….

…she looks about as black as she does Cherokee….

“What does he think it takes for a woman to be qualified?”

…that’s it, Liz…if at first a hissy fit does not succeed, through your genitalia in your opponent’s face….

…oops…sorry for the imagery there….

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

According to wikipedia on her:

“…and began a permanent position as the Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law in 1995.[15]“.

So, it looks like to me that she claimed Indian Ancestry until she got a tenured position.

Some Journalist she ask her about that.

purpleslog on May 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What was it Shakespear said?

Bolshevik by any other name, stinks just the same!

jaydee_007 on May 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Why don’t people stop pussy-footing around and call people a LIAR OR PREVARICATOR?
1/32 Indian………….nay………100% LIAR!

JayMac1 on May 2, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Mark1971 on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Yep, only in a state like Massachusetts. Who was that senator from Connecticut who lied about his Vietnam service – but still won?

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

“…in order to make friends…??”

I’m shocked Elizabeth couldn’t find an ‘Extremely Fractional Native American Wanna-bee’ social club in the Yellow Pages back in ’89.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Lonetown on May 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I think that it’s a bit more naked that that….

…she’s reacting to anyone daring to question the past or the qualifications of someone entitled to govern…entitled by virtue of her cleanliness of heart, her depth of feeling for the downtrodden, and, dagnab-it, just her downright rectitude of views….

…it’s a problem common among office-seekers on the left….

…after all, didn’t her time as a selected official prove her worth to be an elected official?

…just as when Ms. Clinton ran for Senate seat…she was the designated recipient, designated by the incumbent…she seemed as Ms. Warren apparently feels…that it’s damned inconvenient to trust the forward momentum of her career to mere voters….

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

She wanted to discriminate and meet people “who are like I am“?

How illiberal!

If not racist!

(She would have had more luck pretending to be albino.)

profitsbeard on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Richard Blumenthal

“On a few occasions, I have misspoken about my service and I regret that. I take full responsibility. But I will not allow anyone to take a few misplaced words and impugn my record of service to our country.” – Richard Blumenthal

Resist We Much on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

No offense libs, but you should just urge your rhetorical heroes to write op-eds in the NYT and leave the actual job of politics to, you know, real politicians.

blah blah blah on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Sometimes ya gotta ‘make shit up’ so that people will see the “real” you.

GarandFan on May 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Am I allowed to call her a Macaca?

mjbrooks3 on May 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM

…down here in Texas, there’s an old political axiom involving a bed, dead hooker and a live boy….

…up there in New England, it would appear that thwarting a lefty Democrat’s run for office involves the same three things….

…small world….

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

This appears to happen a lot in the National Socialist Democrat Party. Robert ‘Sheets” Byrd was only in the terrorist wing of the NSDP, the KKK, to get elected.

Democrats lie, democrats lie all the time.

jukin3 on May 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Let’s face it. In modern day America membership in one of the protected groups is a valuable commodity for those who can meet or exceed the “minimally qualified” standard.

However if anecdotal evidence such as Ms Warren used is all it takes to claim membership then perhaps all of us should start checking the boxes thus reducing the value of such status to an appropriate level.

Nomas on May 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Resist We Much on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ah yes, Blumenthal. Thanks.

TarheelBen on May 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Yep, but they can get away with a dead Mary Jo Kopechne, which is even worse since she wasn’t a hooker.

Resist We Much on May 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Hahaha! This is SO pathetically ridiculous that I can’t even stop myself from shaking my head when I read it.

And how hard up are you for friends that this was your hope to make some?

nextgen_repub on May 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

So…we’re to take it that she was lonely?

krome on May 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM

…would instead that she were unique….

…unfortunately for our troubled times she is not….

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I wonder if she got so calloused by chewing too many buckskins to soften them up?

Don L on May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

DrEvil on May 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I weep for my species….
(just like good ol’ Iron Eyes Cody in the “cryin injun” commercials)
BigSven on May 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

DrEvil: Nice link to great photo!!
——————-

My “Iron Eyes Cody” pimp comment seems to have went by everyone. So here’s a BigSven teachable moment:

“Cody” was a fake Cherokee, guess he wanted to “make new friends.” BUT ANYWAY he ended up being an “Icon” for “Keep America Beautiful” movement (and, a useful tool for the early Eco-Scam industry)

Good ol’ Iron Eyes Cody’s parents both immigrated from Italy!!! (Cat got outta the bag after he died)

At least “Iron Eyes” looked like an Injun…Poor Lizzie not so much…

BigSven on May 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Let’s not forget that the directory of minority law professors didn’t even specify which minority group she claimed to belong to, so it makes even less sense that it somehow that would help her fellow 3% Cherokees to find her.

DavidW on May 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Faux-cahontas

Oh, AP, you are just too much!

KS Rex on May 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

She wanted to discriminate and meet people “who are like I am“?

How illiberal!

If not racist!

(She would have had more luck pretending to be albino.)

profitsbeard on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Doesn’t this constitute profiling?”

Don L on May 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

lizzieillinois on May 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

+1000

notropis on May 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Eric Holder to the white courtesy phone.
CurtZHP on May 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Racist!

KS Rex on May 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

It’s amazing that the only thing that can get a Republican elected in Massachusetts is having a idiotic, clock-punching opponent and that is exactly what Massachusetts Democrats keep serving up time after time.

pedestrian on May 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

She lists a remote (at best) ancestry on some form in the hope of getting invited to lunch??! What does that even mean?

LASue on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I always click the “white” box in order to help me meet other whites.

pedestrian on May 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

A Sack-of-Gewea.

Mason on May 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I just hope Scott Brown wears a toupee -for his sake. You never know when that 1/32 blood line will demand a scalp….

Don L on May 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

She took the place of a real Native American.

Lefties, vote against her. She is your PC fraud.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

It’s “the best defense is a strong offense” tactic. Except she’s very offensive.

A reporter at the Herald nailed this the other day. Voters “get” this and it sticks. The ridicule will stick. There’s no way out for her now.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Elizabeth Warren is a composite of many races and nationalities, you wingnuts.

faraway on May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

…please assure me that at least one of those races is human…she looks like a constipated badger….

…and, I know that taking a woman to task on her appearance is a cheap shot, but go look at the thread photo and tell me she doesn’t look like a rodent trying to pass a pine cone….

Puritan1648 on May 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Reading these comments is better than going to a comedy club. I won’t even try to equal the hilarious comments posted here, but just let me say that if this sad but enlightening episode doesn’t illustrate once and for all that Democrat priorities start and end with race, I don’t know what will.

SpiderMike on May 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Affirmative action is a FARCE.

Elizabeth Warren used her 1/32 Native American heritage to help her early in her career (because that kind of “diversity” garbage really just means that anyone who isn’t White will be given special preference), then she stopped using it later on, so the stigma of “affirmative action hire” wouldn’t be attached to her. We all know it.

I love the look on her face now. She was caught, and she knows it! All she can do is flail around and scream “sexism!” and pretend she’s some kind of victim.

Face it, snooty Elizabeth Warren, you are an embarrassing fraud… and a dishonest one, at that. Glad you have been exposed before the election.

bluegill on May 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’m sure she means people like her who, when applying for slots, covered all the angles, crossed the t’s, dotted the i’s, to make sure those real minorities had no chance of taking “her” space.

bflat879 on May 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

FTA:”

Warren’s statements come as genealogists at the New England Historic Genealogical Society were unable to back up earlier accounts that her great great great grandmother is Cherokee. While Warren’s great great great grandmother, named O.C. Sarah Smith, is listed on a electronic transcript of a 1894 marriage application as Cherokee, the genealogists are unable to find the actual record or a photograhic copy of it, Society spokesman Tom Champoux said. A copy of the marriage license itself has been located, but unlike the application, it does not list Smith’s ethnicity.

Emphasis mine. The genealogists can’t find any proof.

The comments are brutal!

dogsoldier on May 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

“What does he think it takes for a woman to be qualified?”

If it were anything other than being a politician, being truthful would be a starter.

unclesmrgol on May 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The sickening thing about this is that she has a lot to be proud of. She was a faculty member at Harvard back when there were few women faculty. She’s had a successful career. She’s written a book with her daughter, a financial planner, that was actually fairly good-”All Your Worth”. It was remaindered at a buck, but it’s very useful. Then she has to pull this BS.

If you truly believe diversity is important, doesn’t listing yourself as a Cherokee when you have no significant Cherokee ethnicity mock the diversity process? And then to try to pretend that Scott Brown is attacking this aspect of her background becuase she’s a woman? Not because it shows a lack of integrity?

This type of pathetic snivelling does all professional women a disservice because it taints us by association. No one is attacking her because she’s a woman. A man that did the same thing should be criticized the same way.

talkingpoints on May 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM