Open thread: Obama to celebrate rare actual accomplishment; Update: “Our goal is to destroy al Qaeda, and we are on a path to do exactly that”

posted at 7:10 pm on May 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

7:30 ET all across the dial, the ceremonial spiking o’ the ball takes place in the campaign end zone you and I know as Bagram air base. Excerpts from The One’s speech:

“My fellow Americans, we have traveled through more than a decade under the dark cloud of war. Yet here, in the pre-dawn darkness of Afghanistan, we can see the light of a new day on the horizon. The Iraq War is over. The number of our troops in harm’s way has been cut in half, and more will be coming home soon. We have a clear path to fulfill our mission in Afghanistan, while delivering justice to al Qaeda.

This future is only within reach because of our men and women in uniform. Time and again, they have answered the call to serve in distant and dangerous places. In an age when so many institutions have come up short, these Americans stood tall. They met their responsibilities to one another, and the flag they serve under. I just met with some of them, and told them that as Commander-in-Chief, I could not be prouder. In their faces, we see what is best in ourselves and our country.”…

“This time of war began in Afghanistan, and this is where it will end.”

Yeah, like I said in my earlier post, tonight’s address is as much about reminding swing voters that the troops are coming home as it is about kicking Bin Laden’s skull through the uprights. The poll numbers on Afghanistan have turned toxic, and not just among Democrats and indies. There’s not much spring in his “Bin Laden bounce” but there may be a few points for him in reminding the public that things are winding down in a war to which they’ve long since given up paying close attention.

Two interesting things about the excerpts from his speech that the White House released. One: No Bin Laden reference. He’ll mention OBL at some point tonight, rest assured, but maybe his team’s starting to tone down the self-congratulation after the criticism of the past few days. Two: The excerpts emphasize his praise for the troops, something that’s been lacking lately as Team Hopenchange goes fishing for credit for the Bin Laden raid. Speaking of which, check out the brutal — and I mean brutal — vid released by “Veterans for a Strong America” taking Obama to task for trying to make the raid all about the O. That’ll keep you entertained until showtime at Bagram; the second vid below is just to put you in the mood for the occasion.

Update: Here’s the vid and the transcript. Read it and you’ll see that, as noted above, the ball he really wanted to spike tonight was “victory” in Afghanistan and a drawdown of U.S. troops. And the path to victory in this case lies through narrowly defining who the enemy is:

Fourth, we are pursuing a negotiated peace. In coordination with the Afghan government, my Administration has been in direct discussions with the Taliban. We have made it clear that they can be a part of this future if they break with al Qaeda, renounce violence, and abide by Afghan laws. Many members of the Taliban – from foot soldiers to leaders – have indicated an interest in reconciliation. A path to peace is now set before them. Those who refuse to walk it will face strong Afghan Security Forces, backed by the United States and our allies…

As we move forward, some people will ask why we need a firm timeline. The answer is clear: our goal is not to build a country in America’s image, or to eradicate every vestige of the Taliban. These objectives would require many more years, many more dollars, and many more American lives. Our goal is to destroy al Qaeda, and we are on a path to do exactly that. Afghans want to fully assert their sovereignty and build a lasting peace. That requires a clear timeline to wind down the war.

Read this depressing Seth Jones piece about how AQ franchises are actually building up in places like Yemen and Somalia despite the best efforts of U.S. drone operators. (He doesn’t even mention Syria, which is well on its way to becoming the biggest jihadi magnet in the Middle East.) Read David Ignatius too on how, thanks to the Arab Spring and its Islamist tide, “electoral Bin Ladenism” is in ascendance in the region. Memo from Bush to O: Be careful about declaring victory prematurely.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

War over.

Hardest hit? Harry Reid

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Someone thought he said “Kabu(l)ki” theater.

singer on May 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Only confirms one thing. Biggest asswipe in history — and the so-called 4th estate is glad to lick it!!!!!

Bob in VA on May 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM

He really didn’t do this with the troops present? He flew over there to make a campaign speech in front of cameras to beam back to the U.S.?

Yikes. Yeah, that will go over well.

rogerb on May 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

There was a time when America’s response to negotiated settlements was “Nuts!”

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The speech was short because the Barry Campaign deleted all the “me” references. And after they had done that, there was very little left. More or less like the rest of Barry’s record in office, after taking out the brave deeds of Seal Team 6.

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Drudge has the picture back….

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

WOW .. devastating (online) comments pouring in.. even @ CNN !

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM

If this speech was not made live in front of troops and only in room in front of a few Obama supporters they could have done anything with it. They could have taped two or more different speeches and then selected the one to use. They could have done several takes and then selected the one to use.

If this happened it was a campaign production.

I assume there was clapping. They must have at least played a tape for the troops to get clapping into the soundtrack.

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Thanks cminaz. Un-frikken-believable! I just left a comment over at Newsbusters. What an idiot, and this is NBC’s “finest”???

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Here is some good news for Ohio:

Allen West endorses Joe the Plumber for Congress

Allen West isn’t known for too many endorsements that I recall. Joe is in a tough district and needs all of the help he can get!!

bluefox on May 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM

WOW .. devastating (online) comments pouring in.. even @ CNN !

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Just took a look at the CNN piece linked over from Drudge. Brutal comments there. Clicked over to CBS. Brutal, and they’ve got a “gallery” of “Presidential victory laps” (See! Everyone does it! We know this looks bad, but Barack’s not the only one!). Clicked over to MS-DNC. Brutal comments there. Clicked over to ABC. Brutal. LA Times, WSJ, USA Today. Brutal, brutal, brutal. Total train wreck for the barack campaign.

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Can I get an amen ?? !!
;-)

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Why is it so slow here? Is everyone over at MSM sites spamming the comment section like they are Paulbots?

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Brutal, brutal, brutal. Total train wreck for the barack campaign.

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

..everywhere you go, there is a seething undercurrent of contempt for this pathetic little man. Comments run negative about 10:1 or more. And this trend go really, really negative — or so I noticed — back when this sack of crap and his stevedore-armed wife took those his’n'hers flights to Martha’s Vineyard last year.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

What’s naive about that original statement ?

pambi

Obama knows only two modes of self-regard; high and all the time.

He just doesn’t do ‘tone down.’ I was under the impression that the last 3 and half years would have been long enough to understand this. Allah surprises me even now.

or not. Gotta keep those hits rollin’ in somehow.

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

One spike too many? A victory lap too far?

The electorate may not be as stupid as Obama thinks they are.

Obama hasn’t said much about Afghanistan for two years. But all of a sudden we can see peace with honor on the horizon and Obama had to rush to Afghanistan to tell everyone, coincidentally exactly a year after Bin Laden was killed. And after Obama spent a couple of days in the US bragging about killing bin Laden and claiming his opponent would not have had the guts to do it.

This charade reeks of contempt for the intelligence of the electorate.

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

..it’s gotten to the point that there’s absolutely no interest in what this narcissist does anymore and this was the tipping point, I think. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I gotta go iron some toilet paper and clean out my septic tank.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Ahh, OK.
Considering he answers to some pretty powerful handlers, I, too, figured they may have reigned in his ego a bit this time.
(kicking and screaming, mind)

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

..again, two HA commenters with appropriate sobriquets. Excellent sentiments, gentlemen or ladies, as the case may be.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

..everywhere you go, there is a seething undercurrent of contempt for this pathetic little man. Comments run negative about 10:1 or more. And this trend go really, really negative — or so I noticed — back when this sack of crap and his stevedore-armed wife took those his’n’hers flights to Martha’s Vineyard last year.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been reading the comment sections on various news sites. They’ve become brutal against King Obama.

JPeterman on May 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The goal that I set – to defeat al Qaeda, and deny it a chance to rebuild – is within reach.

O RLY?

McNinja on May 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Tonight I was at a sporting event for my kid. We live in a very liberal town. I was making small talk with a couple of other parents, and mentioned “the Obama Administration,” but not in a political way, precisely, just talking about a new policy I had read about. But I whispered “the Obama Administration,” just reflexively, like it was a dirty word, and I saw a couple of other parents shoot me a dirty look — and then one of the parents I was talking to said something really hostile about barack. And I realized — the dirty looks weren’t aimed at ME, they were for HIM! They HATE the guy. It shocked me.

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

dont taze me bro on May 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM

JPeterman on May 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Obviously neither of you were reading http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/02/world/asia/obama-lands-in-kabul-on-unannounced-visit.html?_r=1#commentsContainer

The Manhattan crowd would appear to think differently.

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It appears that this attempt @ ‘spiking the OBL football’ has turned out to be …

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I was looking for a clip that showed a fumble at the goal line to post as well. But the Leon Lott losing the ball clip is even more appropriate because Lott was just lucky to be in the right place when the QB fumbled, like Barry was when the Seal Team 6′s mission happened.

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Yikes. Yeah, that will go over well.

rogerb on May 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Are you kidding me? No troops? I didn’t watch it live, of course.

Either O’bama and his puppeteers are even stupider and more clueless than I believed possible, or George Soros and the Bildebergs have told him to throw the election because they’ve suddenly fallen in Lovie with Mitt.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

The Manhattan crowd would appear to think differently.

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You mean the koolaid drinkers ? Of course they do !
It just drips off their keyboards.
Methinks alot of others have been turned, or at the very least, disgusted.
We will see.

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Absolutely perfect.

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The goal that I set — to defeat al Qaeda

Obama declared War on Al Qaeda?

Obama declared War on Al Qaeda?

Obama declared War on Al Qaeda?

faraway on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Do you do house calls?

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM

…if you’ll excuse me, I gotta go iron some toilet paper…
The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Love this! I can’t stomach him either.

txhsmom on May 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

PBHO thinks he can pull the ‘old okeydoke’ on the general election voters with this quick trip to Afghanistan… Not so much…

Khun Joe on May 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

What Obama is doing is akin to surrender and negotiation with terrorists. If he had any understanding of our enemy he would know they are planning a hudna….

Stay in the middle east until the job is done…if that takes 10 more years well so be it….

nazo311 on May 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

JPeterman on May 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Well, I think a lot of that has to do with their absolute horror at their Nobel Peace Prize winner, who campaigned against the War Monger Boosh, not only continuing Chimpy’s terrorism policies but even one-upping Bush with the increased drone strikes and breaking his promise to close GITMO.

The Left of course hypocritically gave him a pass on those, but this might be the straw that broke the camel’s back. After all, the dude from the Dog-Eating State of Hawai’i is beating his nearly non-existent chest over murdering a guy in cold blood in his own bedroom.

And the only reason he is doing so is to get re-elected.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

O RLY?

McNinja on May 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Hard to believe Obama actually said that. Hard to believe he thinks anyone other than his True Believer followers would buy it.

As if the Bush admin had no goals and sat around picking their noses with their thumbs up the a$$ for seven years, hardly giving al Qaeda a passing thought after filling Gitmo with al Qaeda operatives and water boarding a few 9/11 planners.

He has to be pissing off, big time, a lot of people who worked very hard pursuing and fighting al Qaeda throughout the Bush years. And he knows what was in the daily intelligence reports Bush received.

His brazen arrogance is jaw droppingly stunning.

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yeah, those ones. I find it interesting that there is little interest in this topic here at HA especially for how much this was in the news today.

I think you’re right. The ultra-liberals loved this but a number of sane liberals are saying to themselves “WTF are we staying in this country for until 2024?”? He’s lost a lot of the independents that voted for him in 08′ already, for numerous reasons. Stuff like this is putting another nail in the coffin.

Romney better not screw this up.

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

YUP !!
and

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM

YUP !

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

And the only reason he is doing so is to get re-elected.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

..agree with some of your assertions. However, I do believe that there is a growing undercurrent of resentment — it’s possibly a variation of the Bradley Effect. You know, the comments sections of on-line outlets are ersatz voting booths where people can vent in anonymity.

I believe that some Dems will turn against Obama and vote for Romney as the sane alternative.

*dons asbestos underwear and adopts battle stance to ward off trolls spouting ‘electability’ mantras.*

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Romney better not screw this up.

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Many are just quietly holding their breath just waiting for this bad political experiment to be over with…

Fallon on May 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM

No need to worry.

They have no real flames. Just really stinky asparagus farts.

cozmo on May 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

No need to worry.

They have no real flames. Just really stinky asparagus farts.

cozmo on May 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM

..tee hee! I am saving that one, coz.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Doing my part to protect your nether regions. Have you ever worn asbestos underwear?

They make fiberglass jock straps smeared with Bengay comfortable by comparison.

I know, don’t ask.

cozmo on May 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM

So what’s shakin’ here tonight? I miss all the fun.

FIRST!

Bishop on May 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Absolutely perfect.

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM

because not letting people know about something you did [that was] worthwhile enchanced the act, while bragging about it diminished it.

So true. It’s also written “Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth”

bluefox on May 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

HaHa I think getalife (one of our favorite HA trolls) is posting over there as gotalife.

redridinghood on May 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM

What’s with the pic of PBHO over at Drudge, is he picking a chunk of crud from his eye? Salute like a man, ya fud.

Bishop on May 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Are you kidding me? No troops? I didn’t watch it live, of course.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Are you surprised at the no troops angle?

After Panetta went over there and they required all troops attending his speech to turn in their weapons?

I’m betting they didn’t let anyone in the regular forces anywhere near BHO, because of their distrust of our own men and women.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

And now after spiking the football there was a bomb explosion on troops in Kabul. Thank you Obama for telling everyone the war is over. Not to them you big eared freak

Conservative4ev on May 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

obama is trash.

Pork-Chop on May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

BREAKING Explosions heard in Kabul, US embassy sounds alarm

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Others have commented that his SPEECH seemed staged, and even if that was in theater, I’d venture it was taped even before he’d visited the troops.
So, he’s probably already in the USA … explosions waaaaay past his presence, for sure.

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Rovin, great comment at newsbusters

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

BREAKING Explosions heard in Kabul, US embassy sounds alarm

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Spiking the football , this war is over

Conservative4ev on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

…what a liberal pipe dream.This is about politics and creating the impression that “smart power” has won the day.
It’s easy to claim success when you simply claim that your enemy is no longer your enemy(The Taliban is not our enemy)….

…tell us Sgt. Barack…who the he!! are we fighting and who is killing our Soldiers in Afghanistan if Al-qaeda has been gutted and the Taliban “is not our enemy”…..

….as for claiming that defeating al-qaeda is close at hand and “peace negotiations” are going to be a success…..
……….here is what the “enemy” has to say:

Al Qaeda ‘operates in Afghanistan under the flag of the Islamic Emirate’: Taliban spokesman

By Bill RoggioFebruary 18, 2012

A Taliban spokesman who identified himself as an “Authorized Correspondent by the Media Committee of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan” said that the Taliban will not renounce al Qaeda and that the terror group operates under the command of the “Military Command of the Islamic Emirate.”

Now really…does this sound like the Taliban are “renouncing” al-qaeda and we are well on our way to defeating them??????

Baxter Greene on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Obama gave himself a shout-out in Afghanistan in front of a captive audience of American troops.

OxyCon on May 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Unbelievably believable.

McNinja on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Are you surprised at the no troops angle?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I’d not heard about that “no weapons” angle.

Just curious, does anyone know if Chimpy Bush had a similar policy in place when he went to Iraq on Thanksgiving and served what the Leftists claimed was a plastic turkey to the troops, but was later confirmed to be a real one?

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Guess the Taliban didn’t execute all of those women in that soccer stadium, after all.

The US now negotiates with mass murders and terrorists, and nobody bats an eye.

Doesn’t matter who wins in November.

The Resolute Desk on May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

BREAKING Explosions heard in Kabul, US embassy sounds alarm

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Spiking the football , this war is over

Conservative4ev on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

OWN IT, Barry!

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

“This time of war began in Afghanistan, and this is where it will end.”

….and let’s remember what Sgt. Barack said he would accomplish in Afghanistan to “end the war”…..

This is what Obama says:

Losing is not an option

I will . . . finish the fight against al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Barack Obama

Mr. Obama has said that a stable Afghanistan is central to the security of the United States,
Obama Considers Strategy Shift in Afghan War
NY Times, Sept. 22, 2009

“We need to finish the fight in Afghanistan… George Bush and John McCain have been weak on terrorism. It’s time to finish the fight in Afghanistan.

Barack Obama
2008 Presidential Campaigning

Remember what Obama promised back in 2008

“No. 3, we’ve got to deal with Pakistan, because al Qaeda and the Taliban have safe havens in Pakistan, across the border in the northwest regions, and although, you know, under George Bush, with the support of Senator McCain, we’ve been giving them $10 billion over the last seven years,(Obama has given them billions more) they have not done what needs to be done to get rid of those safe havens.
And until we do, Americans here at home are not going to be safe.
But I do believe that we have to change our policies with Pakistan. We can’t coddle, as we did, a dictator, give him billions of dollars and then he’s making peace treaties with the Taliban and militants.
“[al Qaeda] are now operating in 60 countries. We have to go to the root cause, and that is in Afghanistan and Pakistan. That’s going to be critical. “

None of this has been accomplished…..
………….not…one….single…..goal….that…Obama…laid….out…has….been…accomplished.

Our twisted relationship with Pakistan has been destroyed by this administration to the point that China has publically announced an attack on Pakistan is considered an attack on China …..al-qaeda still trains,finances,and carries out terrorist attacks from Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Al-qaeda and the Taliban are establishing camps and operations not only in Pakistan…but also back in Afghanistan.

Obama is relying on Afghan troops and the police force to take over and fight against the Taliban and al-qaeda even thought they are no where ready for this nor are they committed to fighting the Taliban.We are losing a large amount of troops and intel specialist to the same Afghan “troops” that Obama expects us to believe will fight a strong Taliban enemy that will claim dominance once Obama heads for the exits.

Obama’s exit dates have done nothing but emboldened the enemy and allowed them to point to this as a time for them to re-establish themselves.

Bottom line is that Obama will leave Afghanistan more powerful and deadly than they were when we came in after 9/11.

Baxter Greene on May 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Barry the Ghey.

BHO Jonestown on May 1, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Obama: “Our goal is to destroy al Qaeda America, and we are on a path to do exactly that”

The truth

Christian Conservative on May 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Makes me wonder what game Obama is playing.

Obama is getting good advice that has worked for him. He does not do things without a very good reason.

Question is what is the reason here.

World recognition perhaps. Muslim recognition in particular possibly.

America must not be his top priority. Course I never thought it was anyway.

Steveangell on May 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

OWN IT, Barry!

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

..if they can do that to “W”, then surely this can be turned back on him — AT THE VERY LEAST!

(Oh yeah, I forget. The guy wants to own the SEALs’ putting down that towel head, but wants no part of GSA parties, SS consortin’ wid hos, and all of the other sleaze. Nevermind.)

The War Planner on May 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Makes me wonder what game Obama is playing.

Question is what is the reason here.

World recognition perhaps. Muslim recognition in particular possibly.

America must not be his top priority. Course I never thought it was anyway.

Steveangell on May 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Gotta keep those credit card donations coming in from the occupied territories.

ElectricPhase on May 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I just heard the first part of the speech again, and really was incensed at 0bama’s nakedly political jab at Bush, 30 seconds in, about how we spent 8 years fighting another war (emphasis 0bama’s).

That was a nakedly political attempt to play himself off against Bush yet again, and had nothing to do with the rest of the speech.

It really was quite offensive and low – and VERY unpresidential.

cane_loader on May 2, 2012 at 12:17 AM

So he is there why?

pat on May 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Obama’s little schtick pre-empted his base’s May Day stunts.

Priorities.

Christien on May 2, 2012 at 1:28 AM

OxyCon on May 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I don’t think anyone was in the room. When there is an audience The One’s head swivels back and forth while he looks down his nose at them. Here he looked straight into the camera the whole time.

tommer74 on May 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM

So he is there why?

pat on May 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Something in me wonders if he is even there

Ugly on May 2, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Spiking the football , this war is over

Conservative4ev on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

*Tebow Knee*

Ugly on May 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM

My take.

kingsjester on May 2, 2012 at 6:57 AM

The general feel-good program that Discovery Channel had about the captured material on the OBL raid was saying something other than what it wanted to say. The key graph they showed was how much OBL’s records show the pay breakout within the organization. Something a bit over 60% is dedicated to… payroll.

Yup, paying the people running al Qaeda.

A mere 10% is spent on terror operations, which includes supplies, travel, and doing such lovely things as accounting for car repairs of operatives. And the car repairs are done by make of vehicle, as well.

Now I do have some problems with releasing just how much data and how much detail it has as a National Security problem. With that said the outside analyst can see exactly why al Qaeda is failing.

aQ needs grand terror missions to do better recruitment. Apparently the stuff the West does that ‘infuriates’ the ‘Arab Street’ is more PR than actual recruitment material. OBL understood that getting a good PR battle was important, but sees declining recruiting numbers after aQ can’t pull off a spectacular raid.

So with money being eaten up by personnel, the overhead of the cell system plus the non-operational cells (those made to do INTEL, surveillance and clean-up post mission) what does aQ do to try and get better operational capability? Nothing. Stay the course and add more overhead to the organization while seeing personnel costs skyrocket and the major recruitment tool of terrorism decline.

Here is where a Western education in actual economics would have provided the answer on changing that around inside aQ. It is a very simple one for an all volunteer organization that is accumulating excess staff while putting its main mission into jeopardy: enforce a pay cut and cut staff.

Now cutting staff will have to be permanent, as in fatal, since you don’t want INTEL walking out the door, so it isn’t really an option.

After that, is a pay cut really so hard to do in a terrorist organization? And since you are getting so much free media from the West, why are you trying to put more into that? All the talk and lack of action at a large scale is showing you up to not just be liars but incompetent liars, at that. Very bad for PR to boast of what you will do and then be unable to do it. Might need some staff cutting there, you know?

Basically by getting in Marxist trained help from Leftist organizations, aQ is no longer the nimble, tactical heavy with grand strategic goal organization it started out to be. It is now a hide-bound, bureaucratic organization, wanting to track every expenditure (no matter how small) with high overhead and that eats up budget for terror ops… and some of that moves into medical expenses which, yes, aQ also pays for.

Yes it is a vicious terror organization, but it is a very organized organization to such a degree that it is losing its goal to become so well organized. It worked better as a loose, cross-supporting terror organization than a centralized, top-down organization. Basically it is mimicking its enemy, operationally, and finding that Western leftist economics and organizational systems are top heavy, overly bureaucratic, inefficient, put a great gloss on a decaying message, and otherwise trade sit-down PR for stand up operations.

If aQ doesn’t watch out it will factionate and that will spread into the rest of the radicalized Arab world and that will be the cause of a major internal conflict unlike any other we have seen because they are vying for the same population. And as OBL said, the people will know the difference between a strong horse and a weak horse…

Getting rid of such an overly organized organization is a very hard thing to do. Luckily, it starts to implode along the way and all that is required to eliminate it is continued pressure. The belief that organization is all that you need is a fatal flaw for aQ. And for OWS as well. And the Left as a whole. The more you attempt to organize, to control via power, the less and less capable you become until your system cracks apart. When power to control is the only ends, then the problems start to show up with those wanting to control as they ask for ever more, and can provide less and less in that doing.

ajacksonian on May 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM

kingsjester on May 2, 2012 at 6:57 AM

great take

peace in our time….what a crock with this one..

cmsinaz on May 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

cmsinaz on May 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Thanks! An FB buddy just wrote that the big difference is: Neville Chamberlain wasn’t a German. LOL!

kingsjester on May 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I thought he just declared a few days ago that the War on Terror is OVER?! Days BEFORE that he hosted the Muslim Brotherhood, the terrorist group that promises Egypt will be ruled by extremely oppressive Anti-women Sharia Law, at the White House. He followed that up with an Executive Order that eliminated the Palestinian Accountability Act, which prevented the US from giving the Palestinian Authority any money at all, freeing up $192 million in tax dollar/deficit spending funded ‘aid’ to go to the PA and HAMAS, who has currently rejoined with the PA. NOW he flies half way around the world to where the troops are just to stand in a room alone in front of a camoflauged backround to declare the War on Al Qaeda continues….?! QUICK HITS:
1) If he wasn’t going to give this speech in front of the troops, by the way, he could have stayed in Washington, and put up that background and just SAID he was in Afghanistan, saving the tax payers a lot of money!
2) Remember how we thought UBL was in a cave but he kept sending out professional videos, finding out later he was in Pakistan….maybe Obama was in the ‘UBL Studio’ in Pakistan when he gave this speech.
3) I guess Obama wanted to ‘one up’ Bush’s flight out to a carrier to announce the War In Iraq was Over. Bush’s was still better because Bush flew the plane out to the carrier himself. LOL!

easyt65 on May 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM

kingsjester on May 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM

cmsinaz on May 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM

The troops are coming home in TWO YEARS! The filthy lying commie bastard is declaring premature victory for campaign purposes. He should be taken out as quickly as possible. In November if it is to be by peaceful means.

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

So he is there why?

pat on May 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Because the filthy commie bastard needs to look “Presidential.” A 4am speech in Afghanistan is something that Romney couldn’t pull off. The hope of the administration is that they can justify continued operations but the goal of the administration is political. There is no coincidence in the fact that this deal was pushed through in time for the filthy bastard to spike the football on the anniversary of OBL’s checking out.

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Yup, paying the people running al Qaeda.

ajacksonian on May 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I seem to remember something being said once about not paying tribute etc.
Those muslims seem to have always operated this way.
A bunch of moronic savages with little in the way of civilization, living & acting like animals, & yet, they are able to extort the most powerful countries on Earth out of millions of dollars.
Pay the Danegeld!
Only the Danes were much better at getting what they wanted.

Badger40 on May 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

My Marine cousin was just shipped over there. For at least 7 months.
I think he was out, but they recalled him to go.
Whatever the case, there’s a new wave of folks going over from what I have seen.
What is the point when you’re ‘negotiating’ with the enemy?

Badger40 on May 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I think he was out, but they recalled him to go.
What is the point when you’re ‘negotiating’ with the enemy?

Badger40 on May 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I think you’re wrong about your cousin being out but recalled. Not saying it couldn’t happen but as far as I know we aren’t doing that right now. In any case, your point is spot on. Why keep the troops there for another two years when the filthy lying commie in the White House is willing to give away the store to the terrorists.

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Perhaps when he got out he went Guard. That’s prolly what the deal is.
IDK how a soldier can serve over there knowing all of this.
IT’d make you want to scream.
How humiliating it must be.
All of them are in my prayers.
Dear God, what a disgusting fiasco.

Badger40 on May 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I cannot understand the stupidity that permeates anyone’s brain
who supports this guy.

Amjean on May 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM

It is supposed to be the war on terror, not the war on Al Queda…

jeffn21 on May 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Rational Thought on May 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Even the tweets from reporters is brutal. Drudge has them linked now, including an AP reporter tweeting the event was nothing but a campaign speech.

Did the alphabet networks give him free air time? If so they just gave him free campaign time as well, which means they must provide the same amount of time to Romney.

Zero’s campaign is certainly desperate for them to pull a stunt like this. If a republican did this they would be screaming.

dogsoldier on May 2, 2012 at 8:27 AM

How much did this campaign stunt cost again?

dogsoldier on May 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Dear leader went to Afg to meet with Karzai and talk about the $2B a year he’s going to give him. Maybe it was a meet to divvy up our dough and send some to reelect our king or be sent to his Swiss bank account. Always follow the money.

Kissmygrits on May 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The way to know this undisguised political propaganda campaign flopped is to watch how Team Obama and the MSM deals with it from today on.

If there is no further coverage, no further mention of Obama’s glorious triumph and victory over terrorism, no analysis of how Obama’s brilliant genius inspired strategy has essentially already won the war in Afghanistan, then they have realized they went too far and want to drop the whole thing.

farsighted on May 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Just when I think I could not detest this ridiculous a$$clown any more than I do, he comes up with something new.

November 6, 2012, babe. End of an error.

HeatSeeker2011 on May 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Air Farce Wons’ wheels barely left Afghan soil and the peaceful Tall y bons and destroyed Al Queda were killing innocents and promising more!
Could someone keep Urkel in the US he does a good enough job of embarrassing the non-koolaid drinkers right here without having to take the clown parade on the road!

ConcealedKerry on May 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

So is Obama telling us that there is “light at the end of the tunnel” ?

Old Fritz on May 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Badger40 on May 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

The overall grand strategy doctrine of al Qaeda is outlined in The Management of Savagery, which the translator and another analyst go through here. Believe me, after trudging through the first few sections of the document, it is a horror show of just what aQ’s vision of the world actually is and how they intended to implement it.

Now they have been infected with a bureaucracy, and Pournelle’s Iron Law of Bureaucracy is now in effect. Keep up the pressure and al Qaeda will spend itself out of being as bureaucrats tend to make very ineffective terrorists…

ajacksonian on May 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM

[snip]

easyt65 on May 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I would like someone smarter than I to explain where in the Constitution, other than a veto, the president is allowed to just void an act of Congress with the stroke of a pen.

Tyranny, folks.