Open thread: Obama to celebrate rare actual accomplishment; Update: “Our goal is to destroy al Qaeda, and we are on a path to do exactly that”

posted at 7:10 pm on May 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

7:30 ET all across the dial, the ceremonial spiking o’ the ball takes place in the campaign end zone you and I know as Bagram air base. Excerpts from The One’s speech:

“My fellow Americans, we have traveled through more than a decade under the dark cloud of war. Yet here, in the pre-dawn darkness of Afghanistan, we can see the light of a new day on the horizon. The Iraq War is over. The number of our troops in harm’s way has been cut in half, and more will be coming home soon. We have a clear path to fulfill our mission in Afghanistan, while delivering justice to al Qaeda.

This future is only within reach because of our men and women in uniform. Time and again, they have answered the call to serve in distant and dangerous places. In an age when so many institutions have come up short, these Americans stood tall. They met their responsibilities to one another, and the flag they serve under. I just met with some of them, and told them that as Commander-in-Chief, I could not be prouder. In their faces, we see what is best in ourselves and our country.”…

“This time of war began in Afghanistan, and this is where it will end.”

Yeah, like I said in my earlier post, tonight’s address is as much about reminding swing voters that the troops are coming home as it is about kicking Bin Laden’s skull through the uprights. The poll numbers on Afghanistan have turned toxic, and not just among Democrats and indies. There’s not much spring in his “Bin Laden bounce” but there may be a few points for him in reminding the public that things are winding down in a war to which they’ve long since given up paying close attention.

Two interesting things about the excerpts from his speech that the White House released. One: No Bin Laden reference. He’ll mention OBL at some point tonight, rest assured, but maybe his team’s starting to tone down the self-congratulation after the criticism of the past few days. Two: The excerpts emphasize his praise for the troops, something that’s been lacking lately as Team Hopenchange goes fishing for credit for the Bin Laden raid. Speaking of which, check out the brutal — and I mean brutal — vid released by “Veterans for a Strong America” taking Obama to task for trying to make the raid all about the O. That’ll keep you entertained until showtime at Bagram; the second vid below is just to put you in the mood for the occasion.

Update: Here’s the vid and the transcript. Read it and you’ll see that, as noted above, the ball he really wanted to spike tonight was “victory” in Afghanistan and a drawdown of U.S. troops. And the path to victory in this case lies through narrowly defining who the enemy is:

Fourth, we are pursuing a negotiated peace. In coordination with the Afghan government, my Administration has been in direct discussions with the Taliban. We have made it clear that they can be a part of this future if they break with al Qaeda, renounce violence, and abide by Afghan laws. Many members of the Taliban – from foot soldiers to leaders – have indicated an interest in reconciliation. A path to peace is now set before them. Those who refuse to walk it will face strong Afghan Security Forces, backed by the United States and our allies…

As we move forward, some people will ask why we need a firm timeline. The answer is clear: our goal is not to build a country in America’s image, or to eradicate every vestige of the Taliban. These objectives would require many more years, many more dollars, and many more American lives. Our goal is to destroy al Qaeda, and we are on a path to do exactly that. Afghans want to fully assert their sovereignty and build a lasting peace. That requires a clear timeline to wind down the war.

Read this depressing Seth Jones piece about how AQ franchises are actually building up in places like Yemen and Somalia despite the best efforts of U.S. drone operators. (He doesn’t even mention Syria, which is well on its way to becoming the biggest jihadi magnet in the Middle East.) Read David Ignatius too on how, thanks to the Arab Spring and its Islamist tide, “electoral Bin Ladenism” is in ascendance in the region. Memo from Bush to O: Be careful about declaring victory prematurely.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m watching because this is Vietnam all over again.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

sigh…..i hoped once in a lifetime was enough.

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I DO NOT want a “partnership” with the Taliban (because THAT’S what it will BE!).

I want to hunt down and kill Mullah Omar like a dog, then tell the whole country, “don’t make us come back.”

Then bring the troops home.

The country we need a solid partnership with is Iraq, because I have some hope that Iraq may be able to stabilize.

Not so with Afghanistan.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Thank you, Neville Chamberlain.

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Thank you, Neville Chamberlain.

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

^^This^^

GrannyDee on May 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Now the fellating begins

JimmyMack on May 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

That ad is killer!

gophergirl on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Kill as many TOLLY-bon as we can find until they hand Mullah Omar for trial and execution for mass murder in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

It’s over. Whew!

22044 on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

So how many unlucky souls will be lost supporting this modified slow-jam bug out?

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Ugly on May 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Are you serious? Did he do it green screen?

I’m not watching. I looked at the excerpts and what I want to know is who writes this stuff? Obama’s an example of the Left taking a stab at being patriotic:

My fellow Americans, we have traveled through more than a decade under the dark cloud of war. Yet here, in the pre-dawn darkness of Afghanistan, we can see the light of a new day on the horizon….

As we emerge from a decade of conflict abroad and economic crisis at home, it is time to renew America. An America where our children live free from fear, and have the skills to claim their dreams. A united America of grit and resilience, where sunlight glistens off soaring new towers in downtown Manhattan, and we build our future as one people, as one nation….

This time of war began in Afghanistan, and this is where it will end.

The Left is incapable of writing speeches that go beyond political pap IMHO because they’re used to blaming America first [IMHO it bleeds into the speech] and also because their short speeches usually consist of slogans while their long speeches consist of demagoguery.

INC on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

FUBO

GrannyDee on May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Whew….we are going to leave Afghan responsibly…

That’s all I need to hear…

Electrongod on May 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

We lost the war in Iraq in 2007. Harry Reid is still in charge of the Senate by the way…

WitchDoctor on May 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I would like to lure Mullah Omar to a peace meeting and then hit him with a drone as he got off his camel.

All’s fair in love and war.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

After the safety of our brave men and women fighting this war with one hand tied behind their backs, there’s only one thing I’m really concerned about: When we leave, will Afghan women have free birth control?

BKeyser on May 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

FLconservative on May 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Where have you been the last 3+ years? Congress is an anachronistic, irrelevant institution, sort of like the British monarchy.

rbj on May 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I know. It just sounded so wrong, so one world order to me.

FLconservative on May 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Run away! run away!… responsibly.

profitsbeard on May 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Meanwhile 7000 miles away… Chrissy Matthews takes a drag off a cigarette and mumbles “Yeah, it was good… it was real good.”

iceman1960 on May 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Seriously…. do any of you think we should be negotiating with the Taliban?

Mullah Omar could have handed over Osams bin Laden at the beginning and saved us an entire war.

Instead, he cost us 10 years of warfare. Any “gutsy” president should understand that the Afghan War is not over under we have bagged and tagged Omar.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Only 15 minutes? In prime time?

I’m guessing they shortened the speech after seeing the blowback. They didn’t rewrite it. They took a butcher knife to it and sliced out big chunks.

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Reagan: Peace through strength.

Obama: Peace through acquiescence.

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

the Afghan War is not over under UNTIL we have bagged and tagged Omar.

Mullah Omar caused us to have to invade Afghanistan. Why is that point lost? No negotiation that allows Omar to remain free is acceptable to me.

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Only 15 minutes? In prime time?

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

This.

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

me too; I have to clean out my septic tank.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

…..wait!…Wait!…no I mean it…I gotta krap!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

So we just spent millions of dollars to ferry Obama over there for this?

sandee on May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

That’s for sure Farsighted. Since when has O given a prime time speech that only lasted 15 minutes?

iceman1960 on May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Of course he needs to get our troops out of there. They have more important things to do like assisting Argentina in helping to liberate the poor, suffering people of the Maldives!

I was actually hoping I wouldn’t see a Vietnam in my lifetime…

nextgen_repub on May 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Edited: 45 minutes of “I killed bin Laden”.

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

When the Doofus-in-Chief is sent packing this November we should continue with an annual memorial for OBL’s killing and always emphasize just how brave the Doofus was in giving the go ahead. Hold the memorial outside the golf course where he was playing when he was compelled to abandon his round to show up at the “situation room”. Also emphasize the proper golfing attire needed for such a call. Rub his nose in it in perpetuity

Zdad on May 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Is it over yet?

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

So we just spent millions of dollars to ferry Obama over there for this?

sandee on May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

He dropped Moochelle off in Spain. She needed another vacation.

Wethal on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Vorwärts!

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Is it over yet?

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Oh, it’s been over since Nov’08… ;-)

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

When is a “pact” not a treaty? Doesn’t this agreement have to be okayed by the Senate? How is this legally binding?

writeblock on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Hmmm.. Were there any Troops there cheering him on? I didn’t watch it. I don’t like watching fairy-men trying to act all strumph. And stuff.

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Two months ago during a speech by Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. US Marines were told to leave their weapons outside the tent.

Tonight Barack Obama gave a speech at Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan. US soldiers were not allowed.

VIA Gateway Pundit

crosspatch on May 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Only 15 minutes? In prime time?

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Or, one could think they made it brief so they would keep everyone’s attention for the duration. But hey.

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

“but maybe his team’s starting to tone down the self-congratulation after the criticism of the past few days.”

Hard to think of a more naive statement on HA that that one.

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Grim Milestone: Over Twice as Many U.S. Soldiers Have Died in Afghanistan Under Obama In 3 1/2 Years Than Did Under Bush in 8 Years – Media Silent

DarrelsJoy on May 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I’ve already seen a bunch of vid of him, before the troops.
Not so sure that he’d delivered this speech before them tho… idunno.

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

So we just spent millions of dollars to ferry Obama over there for this?

sandee on May 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

He dropped Moochelle off in Spain. She needed another vacation.

Wethal on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

…I saw the troops cheering him on….didn’t I?

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Surely you jest !!

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It is not appropriate for a POTUS to say “glistening”.

For a split second, I thought he was going break into a song and dance routine like a Glee show.

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thanks for watching it for us

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Remember when Bush made surprise visits to Iraq? Lots of photos and videos of him with the troops.

Why not for Obama?

I suppose they think no one will notice.

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Via drudge

(CNSNews.com) – Although President Obama has only served 39 months in office, 69 percent of the U.S. military fatalities in the more then 10-year-old war in Afghanistan have occurred on his watch.

Through April 30, the Defense Department had reported that 1,844 U.S. military personnel have been killed in and around Afghanistan while deployed in Operation Enduring Freedom, which was launched in October 2001 after al Qaeda terrorists attacked the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon.

FLconservative on May 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Darrel, spot in crickets chirping

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Why not for Obama?

I suppose they think no one will notice.

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Are you being sarcastic, or calling out the obvious hypocrisy? Because there is already video out of Obama hanging out w/ the troops.

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

All that and he wasn’t even speaking in front of troops?

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Went over to tingles

He’s gushing over the glistening of Manhattan

Turned off after that

Lsm fawns big time

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It is not appropriate for a POTUS to say “glistening”.

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM

He said ‘glistening’?

Don’t Ask. Don’t Tell.

Preznit Pooswah

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

9 times I counted that he says “I” not counting the last 10 seconds…..an utter narcissist.

get over yourself barry, you are NOT nearly as good as you think you are.

DiabloAzure on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

All that and he wasn’t even speaking in front of troops?

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

He might have been warned about backlash if he again used the troops as props.

Wethal on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Oh? I guess I missed it today.

Curtiss on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Every additional day staying in Afcrapistan is another additional day of Operation Enduring Insanity, The Trillion Dollar Bridge to Nowhere.

VorDaj on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

All that and he wasn’t even speaking in front of troops?

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Hmm, I wonder if anyone on the right, such as yourself, would have accused the president of using them as props?

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Why are soldiers not invited? They’re dying at about 5x the rate under Obama to provide this photo op.

Chuck Schick on May 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Seriously…. do any of you think we should be negotiating with the Taliban?

cane_loader on May 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

No. The Taliban and Al Qaeda are joined at the hip. And they are all jihadist Islamists.

If the plan is to leave we should butcher and bolt as quickly as possible. Else we should do what we must to prevail. We are doing neither.

Obama’s fantasy “plan”, hatched in the fall of 2009, will get many hundreds, maybe thousands, of US soldiers and Marines killed before its over, just so he can claim “peace with honor” while handing Afghanistan to the Taliban.

Obama has much deliberately wasted US blood on his hands. His fantasy “plan” is practically premeditated murder. He never planned to prevail in Afghanistan. He only wanted to pretend he did and then leave. I doubt he’s fooling any of the US Marines and soldiers getting shot at, wounded, and dying in Afghanistan.

I suspect the military memoirs in coming years will be harsh and devastating. But by then Obama will be on the yackity-yack circuit raking in big bucks just for showing up, saying a few words, and criticizing Republicans.

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

That’s a streaming hot bowl of melena for you Mr. President. Well earned!

Mason on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Chuck Schick on May 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

What are you talking about?? He had a rally with the troops this afternoon.

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Only 15 minutes? In prime time?

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

ITA. They cut out the 2 or so hours of his usual “I, I, I, Me, Me, My” stuff. Without all that the bestest orator EVAH can’t go for more than 15 minutes as it starts to bore him to talk about anyone/thing other than himself.

And you just know it had to kill him to do that. :-)

Dark Star on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Congrats to the Pacifier-in-Chief. You can come home now and continue your lifetime campaigning schedule while the nation burns.

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

kinda of makes me wonder where he is. On O’Reilly right now, it looks like he is in a Hollywood studio with a backdrop of military vehicles.

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Obama: I was a navy SEAL until I took an arrow to the knee.

bitsy on May 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

A lot of I instead of wes I’m sure

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

A stopped clock is right twice a day. That’s one up on Obama.

bluesman on May 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Good for the vets. I have no idea how they tolerate this dickeating pansy playing Napoleon with their military as well as they do, and their outrage is long overdue.

Jaibones on May 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Bring them all home now.

Dante on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

There is video of him rallying thousands of American troops from this afternoon. He’s not in a Hollywood studio somewhere…

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

That first video. Is AWESOME

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Too funny: Anderson Cooper just had to remind his CNN audience that while Obama was talking to the troops this afternoon he was working without a teleprompter!

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Not sure who the Veterans for a Strong America are but this video is fabulous. I mean Glistening….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsrSAqRrCc0

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

If a bunch of troops had been there it might have been difficult to stop the booing. You can make a booing sound without looking too obvious about the source of it.

crosspatch on May 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

He might have been warned about backlash if he again used the troops as props.

Wethal on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

…they didn’t want to have to take all their guns away…again!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m not saying he isn’t in Afghanistan, just that that speech looks contrived.

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Just heard that too Rovin

What a putz

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Surely you jest !!

pambi

I don’t and don’t call me Shirley.

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Missed it..

d1carter on May 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The best part was when President Camacho said, “I know s–t’s bad right now, with all that starving bulls–t, and the dust storms, and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution.”

Django on May 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Someone on CNN, I can’t remember who, aptly described the new Afghan partership as “an agreement to make an agreement”

Wigglesworth on May 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

That first video is really good…thanks.

d1carter on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Overheard at the press pool: I flew 7000 miles and all I got is this lousy speech?

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

cjw79 on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Rubber Turkey.

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

He’s going to bankrupt the media!

Oh, wait!!

Key West Reader on May 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Via newsbusters, chuck Todd comparing this day/speech to be and ch day

Unstinkingbelievable

Unable to send Linky

Allah, check it out

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

..thanks, CTMom, powerful video. But it was too late for the several long showers I needed to get the stink off from watching the interminable end zone party broadcast from Afghanistan!

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Crap, Android

Vj and ve day

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’m not saying he isn’t in Afghanistan, just that that speech looks contrived.

ctmom on May 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM

..Capriconrn One? (The movie.) Is Obama really O.J.

The War Planner on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

We’re also getting peace with honor, with the honorable Taliban.

This new policy bookends well with telling Iran it’s now A-Okay with Obama if they enrich uranium.

Isn’t this new Hope and Change foreign policy just wonderful?

farsighted on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Hands down – Worst President evahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Bob in VA on May 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Morning Joe to pick up the drool fest in the am

Marcus, you’ll probably have to go it alone

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Afcrapistan is a 365 days a year April Fools joke.

VorDaj on May 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

CNN praising mccain now

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The Iraq War is over.

The Iraq war is over because President Bush surged troops in 2007. Not only did candidate Obama oppose The Surge, he assured us that it would make things worse. He thinks the public is stupid.

Basilsbest on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

AP,

I noticed the new photo for this thread on the front page.

Did you photoshop Obama holding the Heisman or is that real?

INC on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Rubber Turkey. Terrier

Key West Reader

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I remember W obviously, genuinely, enjoying serving Thanksgiving meals to the troops in Iraq.

With Dear Leader the joy seems to be being away from Moooooochele.

Dingbat63 on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hard to think of a more naive statement on HA that that one.

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM

(Surely you jest !!

pambi)

I don’t and don’t call me Shirley.

chimney sweep on May 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM

LOL.. expected that Shirley joke the second I’d pressed submit.

Just trying to figure out what you meant by your response.
What’s naive about that original statement ?

pambi on May 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Django on May 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Brawndo!!!11!! It’s got what an economy needs!

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM