Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on May 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Some days, the President just makes it too easy. Doubling down on his attack on Mitt Romney and the supposed question of whether the Republican would have whacked Osama bin Laden if given a chance, Barack Obama insisted that he just assumed that Romney meant that when he said that the war on terror wasn’t just about OBL.  In comments at a joint news conference with Japan’s Prime Minister, who must have wondered what the hell Obama was talking about, Obama offered this explanation of the attack on Romney:

“I assume that people meant what they said when they said it. That’s been at least my practice.”

Come on, now … you know what’s coming next, don’t you?  Peter Kirsanow makes the obvious comparisons to Obama’s own record:

“No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase.”

“As president, I will close Guantanamo.”

“But what I can guarantee is that we will have in the first year an immigration bill that I strongly support.”

“If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.”

“My administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in government.”

“I will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American people an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website.”

“No political appointee in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years.”

“I’ll give an annual State of the World address to the American people where I lay out national security policy.”

I’m pretty sure that you’ll see Obama’s quip paired up with any number of statements from Obama like these that Obama obviously didn’t mean when he said them — in Romney ads this summer and fall.  If Team Romney and the RNC want, they could make this a weekly series of ads all the way through Election Day.  We could even call them the “Expiration Date Series.”

Comments

Treacher

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I was just WAITING for you get get a hold on that quote, Ed. I couldn’t WAIT for today’s Obamateurism.

Washington Nearsider on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM

KOOLAID2

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Lier-n- theif

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Some days, the President just makes it too easy.

No kidding! It is days like this that I wonder just how connected Obama is to the real world. It is as if he reads his own press and doesn’t realize that the public does engage in stuff like fact checking. Seriously does our super-smart super-cool dictator really think the public is this disengaged between what he reads off the teleprompter and the reality? More and more like the old Soviet Union every day.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

“as we’re out of this recession, we’ve got to get serious about starting to live within our means, instead of leaving debt for our children and our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren”

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Thief, oops

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Cool! They appear as inept as the Comedian-in-Chief. C’mon, November!

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

ok karl and rnc….the ads are just waiting to be made

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

What gets me is that there are people out there that still believe him.
That’s the disturbing part.

Badger40 on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

“And we will pursue the housing plan I’m outlining today. And through this plan, we will help between 7 and 9 million families restructure or refinance their mortgages so they can afford—avoid foreclosure.”

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

We could even call them the “Expiration Date Series.”

excellent :)

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

‘not ONE SINGLE DIME’

good times

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

“The health care bill will not increase the deficit by one dime.”

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I’m starting to get the impression that this guy isn’t plugged into reality.

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

“Doubling down on his attack on Mitt Romney and the supposed question of whether the Republican would have whacked Osama bin Laden if given a chance…”

Obama is confusing whacking Osama with whacking Obama. Obama doesn’t think Romney has the courage to fight him. We’ll soon see if that’s true, but I hope that Obama has retirement plans.

Gladtobehere on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Cool! They appear as inept as the Comedian-in-Chief. C’mon, November!

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I’m guessing that Obama got such great reviews from the White House Correspondents jokes he decided to extend his comedy routine to include joint news conferences with foreign leaders. IT IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION THAT MAKES SENSE.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

They The Campaigner-in-Chief appears as inept as the Comedian-in-Chief.

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I claim coffee deprivation. That’s my story and I’m stuck to it.

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

“Under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.”

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

“I will cut the deficit in half.”

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I hope that Obama has retirement plans.

Gladtobehere on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Screw Obama’s plans, I hope the electorate has retirement plans for Obama.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

great minds :)

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM

And the biggest whopper of them all –

“I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Wait, wait till November, he’s gonna snap he still think everyone loves him……….
It’s gonna be like late in WWII when Hitler started firing his generals because there were no more troops to fight , he just snapped…….

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

This Fall, courtesy of Team Romney, Obama is going to find out that the WORDS that come out of his mouth actually do MATTER.

“Words?! Just Words?!”

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

“But it is absolutely clear that this administration and President Bush continues to not let facts get in the way of his ideology”

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Remember when Senator Obama said voting to raise the debt ceiling was downright unpatriotic, and that unrestrained government spending would place an enormous burden on our children and grandchildren, which would be so very irresponsible and immoral . . . .

He meant it, he really meant it . . . until he didn’t.

AZCoyote on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

And the biggest whopper of them all –

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thread winner.

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

And the biggest whopper of them all –

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yup.

Fallon on May 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I second that, expresso bold, oops………..;)

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM

“i taught the constitution for 10 years, i will follow the constitution, and i will not use signing statements to do an end run around congress”

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Words matter
uh huh

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I can’t wait for the Downfall Parody that comes out on Youtube after November 6, 2012. Watching it will be a sweet moment of glotation.

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM

“I’ve done more for Israel’s security than any President ever”

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM

“I will go through the Federal Budget line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making ones we do need work better and cost less.” – August 28, 2008

Buy Danish on May 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The Campaigner-in-Chief appears as inept as the Comedian-in-Chief.

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Breaking! Even Dana Milbank at Wapo agrees.

(and Milbank’s liberal friends are going buzzzerk)

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Well, to be fair, the MSM didn’t vet or fact-check him throughout the 2008 Dem. primary & GE & have pretty much rolled over for him since. Couple that with the Brain Dead Left’s 100% track record of not believing their lying eyes, it’s not that unreasonable a conclusion for him to make.

Dark Star on May 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I can’t wait for the Downfall Parody that comes out on Youtube …….WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM

ok so obama is hitler, check. the generals, reid, pelosi, schumer..i guess one of the ones that gets asked to leave has to be biden. oh and little timmy. and the little secreatires in the hall…3 of them named hillary rosen….

t8stlikchkn on May 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Nothing a few deep bows can’t fix.

visions on May 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM

To say as clear as I can: Liar

crosshugger on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM

He will do it when he has more flexibility!

The Rock on May 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM

“In the coming months, my administration will develop a proposal to merge, consolidate, and reorganize the federal government in a way that best serves the goal of a more competitive America. I will submit that proposal to Congress for a vote – and we will push to get it passed.” (President Barack Obama, Remarks At State Of The Union Address, Washington, D.C., 1/25/11)

Buy Danish on May 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM

“Read my lips….”
You’re outta here!

“Obama…4 more years…..four more years…”
“He has only been Prez for 3 1/2 years…give him a chance”

Electrongod on May 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM

“As President, I will go through the entire federal budget, page by page, line by line, and I will eliminate the programs that don’t work and aren’t needed. As for the programs we do need, I will make them work better and cost less. I will create a High-Performance Team that evaluates every agency and every office based on how well they’re serving the American taxpayer. We will fire government managers who aren’t getting results, we will cut funding for programs that are wasting your money, and we will use technology and lessons from the private sector to improve efficiency across every level of government – because we cannot meet twenty-first century challenges with a twentieth century bureaucracy.” (Senator Barack Obama,, Remarks At Event, Green Bay, WI, 9/22/08)

Buy Danish on May 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Just like Clinton, he meant every word he said, at the time he said them.

skydaddy on May 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Wait, wait till November, he’s gonna snap he still think everyone loves him……….

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

…before his dog was eaten?

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Ed, this one (OOTD) might win for 2012!!

Khun Joe on May 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Breaking! Even Dana Milbank at Wapo agrees.

(and Milbank’s liberal friends are going buzzzerk)

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Oh my! Dana Milbank isn’t exactly what you would call a moderate.
But more interesting is the idiots who are attacking Milbank in the comments section.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have.

Ha ha ha ha! Oh crap, that was Bill Clinton. I probably shouldn’t include statements from other leftist pieces of garbage in a thread about SCoaMF, should I?

MNHawk on May 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Ed, this one (OOTD) might win for 2012!!

Khun Joe on May 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

You mean the final annual winner of the OOTD contest, right?

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM

…JugEars!…YOU LIE…!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Breaking! Even Dana Milbank at Wapo agrees.

[...]

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

When conservatives and liberals agree, it’s scarey. Actually, is Milbank really liberal or just schizophrenic? Maybe he is a closet conservative? Nah, Dubya wanted him excluded from covering his administration, he’s liberal.

The preezy of the United Steezy is making me queasy. – Fallon & Milbank

Is that supposed to rhyme?

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM

He’s just making it easier and easier these days, is he not?

princetrumpet on May 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Rovin on May 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Clicked on your link.
In the end Milbank still gives O a pass essentially saying “what’s he supposed to do?”.

It’s interesting though that the comments are split about 50-50 and the thumbs up by regular readers of WAPO tend to be anti-Obama.

One can only dream this continues.

CTSherman on May 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I’m starting to get the impression that this guy isn’t plugged into reality.

WordsMatter on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Reality, schmeality…

Actually, he is mentally ill. He has zero ability to feel the natural emotions of shame and guilt. It is why he can lie so easily.

climbnjump on May 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM

“Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term ‘genocide’ to describe Turkey’s slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. … as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.”

“I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother . . .” (before throwing her under the bus in the next sentence & before throwing Wright under the bus 2 weeks later”

“A mandate means that in some fashion, everybody will be forced to buy health insurance. … But I believe the problem is not that folks are trying to avoid getting health care. The problem is they can’t afford it. And that’s why my plan emphasizes lowering costs.”

As I’m looking up quotes to cite the many, many times he didn’t mean what he said, it strikes me that it would be a lot easier to list the things he meant.

“I think when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.”
“Fuel prices would necessarily skyrocket.”
“Bankrupt the coal industry.” (crucify/bankrupt, tomato/tomaahto)
“I want to fundamentally change America.”
“The Cambridge police acted stupidly.”
“It’s not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”
“Can’t I just eat my waffles!?!”

Dark Star on May 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Wait, wait till November, he’s gonna snap he still think everyone loves him……….

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I’m on record — I cannot wait for this to happen, I only hope it will happen before November. And unlike Obama, I mean what I say.

The preezy of the United Steezy is making me queasy. – Fallon & Milbank

Is that supposed to rhyme?

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I think that Fallon did pronounce Preezy & Steezy to rhyme with queasy not lezzy (I can’t think of a word to rhyme the way they look like they’re pronounced).

Dark Star on May 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Not really that easy, Ed. Not when you consider the wall of lies and spin the MSM erects on a daily basis to keep Duh Won propped up. I don’t mind being part of the choir you preach to, but I’d like to know that more than this small band of brothers is hearing the voice of truth.

swinia sutki on May 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

“We cannot sustain a system that bleeds billions of taxpayer dollars on programs that have outlived their usefulness, or exist solely because of the power of a politicians, lobbyists, or interest groups. We simply cannot afford it. This isn’t about big government or small government. It’s about building a smarter government that focuses on what works. That is why I will ask my new team to think anew and act anew to meet our new challenges…. We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way.”

chasdal on May 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Ed, this one (OOTD) might win for 2012!!

Khun Joe on May 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I’m betting there will be some very good ones on the horizon.

docflash on May 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

What is with all the ‘cool’ nonsense? Look at the umbrella picture, the first pitch, the helmet-wearing girl bike-riding big-eared scrawny jerk and tell me. Is he more like Erkel or the Fonz?

I keep waiting for that nasally ‘Did I do thaaaat?’

Schwalbe Me-262 on May 1, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Oh, for the list of ‘meant what they said when they said it:’

I’m gonna use a scalpel to cut the deficit in half.

Schwalbe Me-262 on May 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

And the biggest whopper of them all –

Trafalgar on May 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Absolutely the thread winner.

I almost assume Barack Obama means what he says, until he doesn’t. That’s what makes it so easy to assess his progress (or lack thereof). It started with the ceremony in his first week to sign the order to close Guantanamo, followed by the question “what do we do now…?” Priceless.

Captain Scarlet on May 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hope the rnc jumps on this for a new ad. It’s perfect. Oh, and add in the part about no death panels.

Kissmygrits on May 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

ExpressoBold on May 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM

From that Milbank article:

As with his blessing of a super PAC after condemning such groups, the alternative is unilateral disarmament.

Obama loves the idea of unilateral disarmament when it comes to our nuclear arsenal, doesn’t he? Isn’t it funny how liberals always make themselves the exception to their own rules?

All in all, though, it is a pretty rational article from the normally insane Milbank. I chalk it up to the desperate media-hack effort to shore up credibility after four years of cheerleading for Barry.

TouchingTophet on May 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Somewhat OT: Obama campaign puts Bo on the trail

If you don’t vote Obama, the dog…

Gladtobehere on May 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

‘not ONE SINGLE DIME’

good times

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM

That was 100% true. It was not ONE SINGLE DIME. It was a sh*t load of dimes.

The Rogue Tomato on May 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

If you don’t vote Obama, the dog…

Gladtobehere on May 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Is toast??

Is toasted??

With gravy and a side of taters and arugula?

coldwarrior on May 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line –

That’s why it took 3 years and still no budget. They must still be reading…
But the intent was there./

askwhatif on May 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If you don’t vote Obama, the dog…

gets strangled!!
(see photo)

askwhatif on May 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You guys are just so negative about The Won. Nothing but criticism, unending criticism. How about all the stuff he did come through on. Like “Under my plan energy prices will necessarily skyrocket”. He made good on that one.

Oldnuke on May 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Obama’s entire life is a monument to the primacy of form over substance (how many people named to be Editor of Harvard Law Review never wrote an article for the Review?), and he has never been in a position where he could be called on it. He has created his own virtual reality throughout his so-called career, and continues to try to do so today. The only problem is, for the first time in his life people are going to have to pay attention as myth runs headlong into reality.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Buy Danish on May 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Maybe that would have been true…if we had a budget any time in the last three years.

(Actually, it’s doubtful, but I’m feeling magnanimous this AM)

Solaratov on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The one that clued us all in was when Obama (on the campaign trail in early 2008) said he was against NAFTA and soon thereafter had to queietly call the Canadian government to tell them that was just campaign-speak. He’s been lying ever since.

Christian Conservative on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Doesn’t this guy run his ideas by anyone? How could he think he could get away with such an attack in the first place? And how could this pathetic excuse – not worthy of a third-grader – see the light of day? I can’t wait to see Romney raise this in a debate.

Sowell Disciple on May 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Obama is a case study in malignant narcissism: here is an article from 2008.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on May 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Let me guess… there were no teleprompters at the joint news conference. Whenever O is speaking in public unscripted, Carney must be in the fetal position with his hands over his ears.

Marcola on May 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

This one has been criminally swept under the rug, imo – July, 2, 2008: “We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”

Taking Him at His word (cough, cough), He must have meant it! Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hear Him explain exactly what He meant by that? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

because we cannot meet twenty-first century challenges with a twentieth century bureaucracy.” (Senator-In-Name-Only Barack Obama,, Remarks At Event, Green Bay, WI, 9/22/08)

Buy Danish on May 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM

FIFY.

Nutstuyu on May 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Hispanics and gays, he threw you under the bus. Vote against him if you have/utilize brains.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Just wait. As the internal polls look worse and worse the cornered Obama, like a cornered dog that knows he is dinner, will get very dangerous and weird.

0bama has always had someone or some institution step in when he has/is failing. This was not helpful given his basic psychological personality problems. The weirdness of 0bama is just starting.

jukin3 on May 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

“No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase.”

dthorny on May 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

ROTFLMFAO !!

Now that’s friggin’ hilarious.

Tim_CA on May 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Politically Incorrect: It’s Not News When Black People Do It

Music by the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones

Resist We Much on May 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Oh, Obama means it when he says it. But then he says something else that totally contradicts what he just said, and he means that too. I don’t think he knows how to tell the difference between a lie and the truth.

RebeccaH on May 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM