Elizabeth Warren camp: Her great-great-great-grandmother was Cherokee

posted at 5:02 pm on May 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yesterday I thought this story was small potatoes but revealing as an insight into how far Warren might go to gild her resume with a diversity credential. After this, though, I’m honestly interested in hearing her address it. What’s the threshold of “minority” status in her mind? Are we back to the “one drop” rule or is 1/32 juuuuuuust enough for a shot of authenticity whereas 1/64 is a bridge too far? Actually, maybe those standards aren’t so different: When you’re talking about a great-great-great-grandparent, one drop is about all that’s left.

Ace notes that the premise behind diversity hiring is that a minority employee brings a perspective that whites simply can’t. Another premise, a la affirmative action, is that a minority employee deserves special consideration because he/she had to cope with cultural disadvantages that whites haven’t. Is Liz Warren claiming that she’s in either of those boats? Can’t wait for this press conference.

Desperately scrambling to validate Democrat Elizabeth Warren’s Native American heritage amid questions about whether she used her minority status to further her career, the Harvard Law professor’s campaign last night finally came up with what they claim is a Cherokee connection — her great-great-great-grandmother.

“She would be 1⁄32nd of Elizabeth Warren’s total ancestry,” noted genealogist Christopher Child said, referring to the candidate’s great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, who is listed on an Oklahoma marriage certificate as Cherokee. Smith is an ancestor on Warren’s mother’s side, Child said…

Meanwhile, Warren’s camp issued statements from five faculty members at the four universities where she’s taught, including Harvard Law School and University of Pennsylvania, to knock down any suggestion she used her Native American background to get hired.

“To suggest that she needed some special advantage to be hired here or anywhere is just silly. She was hired for her great abilities as a teacher and a scholar. Her family tree had nothing to do with it,” wrote Jay Westbrook, chairman of the business law school at the University of Texas at Austin, who hired Warren.

The same genealogist also discovered that one of Warren’s great-grandfathers, although white, did live for a time in Cherokee territory, which makes him … kind of minority, I guess? Good enough for her to claim 1.5/32 status?

Three lingering questions here. One, as noted yesterday: Why did Warren stop describing herself as minority circa 1995? What changed? Two: Why did she start describing herself as a minority circa 1986? If she didn’t have hard documentation until literally yesterday that she was part Native American, what evidence was she relying on to claim that distinction in the first place? “Grandma told me I might be part Cherokee” doesn’t cut it, I hope, when we’re talking about criteria that qualify as a competitive advantage in one’s profession. You need proof, or at least you should. Three, via Ann Althouse: Why does Warren’s campaign seem so impressed by the fact that her previous employers are willing to say her ancestry played no role in hiring her? Of course they’re going to say that. If they don’t, they know it’ll be interpreted by the public as an admission that she was graded on a curve in the hiring process. Either embrace diversity hiring as a glorious fair-minded policy or don’t, but don’t try to have it both ways.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m wondering how being 1/32nd Cherokee makes her a more qualified Senator and Scott Brown? I’d like her to explain that. If it doesn’t make her better qualifed than someone who is not 1/32 Cherokee, then why the hell should I care that she is 1/32nd Cherokee at all.

I’m roughly 1/2 Irish. It has no impact whatsoever on my ability to maintain an accounting system.

gravityman on May 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

How come every bogus claim of aboriginal american heritage is Cherokee? She like the “O” is a pathological liar. I don’t think they have any understanding of truth. They say whatever is needed for the moment. The trouble with a politicians is we don’t find him/her, the low life finds us.

StevC on May 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Because of the Cherokee trail of tears. Tons of them took the walk and a whole bunch of them didnt and stayed in the Georgia/Tenessee region. The rest mostly moved to Oklahoma along with a few thousand slaves. A few years back you could get a “card” saying you were an Indian if you could prove some of your ancestors came from the GA/TN region from the not federal recognized Nation of Cherokee.

Johnnyreb on May 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So Elizabeth Warren is Cherokee?
…Does that mean she’ll now apply for a license to open an Indian casino in downtown Boston to add to her multiple millions and millions of excessive wealth ?

TeaPartyNation on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

…Senator and Scott Brown?

and = than

stupid typing skills.

gravityman on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Ward Churchill on FB So many “likes!” Not.

smellthecoffee on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Dude you’re a Black-Irish-Mexican-Russian-American.

Haha, and to think, I used to just call myself an American!

nextgen_repub on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who knew that Elizabeth Warren’s Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee indian who used to work at 31 flavors.

portlandon on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Why did she start describing herself as a minority circa 1986?

Because she wanted to make the jump to the Ivy League from the second string law schools she’d been at. A Native American Ivy League law professor would have been a rarity (still would be).

In 1987, she landed at the University of Pennsylvania.

Wethal on May 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Descendant of slaves.
Descendant of slave owners.

I’m still mad at me…

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Will she make that song by Cher her Campaign theme?

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

…well listens2glen…we know what everybody will be playing for the last nightly thread….songs we haven’t heard for years.

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

My kids are 1/8 Cherokee and we don’t claim anything.

btw – if she does want to officially claim herself as a Cherokee, she has to have the paperwork from the tribe to prove it. I checked “native american” when my first child entered school and we were sent a form asking for our paperwork from the tribe to prove it.

mankai on May 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Seriously, what is wrong with Massachusetts.

The state just keeps producing awful politicians.

Norwegian on May 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

How do they know that Sarah Smith was a full-blooded Cherokee (to make Warren 1/32nd Cherokee)? Was Smith a common Cherokee name how many years ago.

In fact, Smith is a very common Cherokee last name. Our last election booted out principal chief Chad “Corntassel” Smith.

Jimilee on May 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

What do I get for being pure Scottish?

(besides drunk, of course)

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

This really hits home, as like Elizabeth, I’m 1/32 Blackfoot. My “triple great” grandmother on my mom’s side was full blooded Native Amercian. However, I’d never claim a minority status being so far removed. In fact, I think most tribes require 1/8th before they recognize you as part of the nation/tribe.

newtopia on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Seriously, what is wrong with Massachusetts.

The state just keeps producing awful politicians.

Norwegian on May 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

She’s not actually from Massachusetts. She’s a foreigner from Oklahoma.

dogsoldier on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Dude you’re a Black-Irish-Mexican-Russian-American.
Haha, and to think, I used to just call myself an American!

nextgen_repub on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

…darn!…where would we all be without the – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - ?

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What do I get for being pure Scottish?

(besides drunk, of course)

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

British contempt.

teke184 on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

portlandon on May 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

coldwarrior on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Squaw Ms Warren speak with forked tongue long time…

Now need heap big Indian blanket to cover up stinky poo poo

BigSven on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

32nd-breed that’s all she ever heard
32nd-breed how she loved to hate the word

–Cher

kooly on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What do I get for being pure Scottish?

(besides drunk, of course)

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM

A kilt. Do they wear underwear under those things?

JPeterman on May 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Descendant of slaves.
Descendant of slave owners.

I’m still mad at me…

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Now that’s funny. I don’t care who ya are.

Bitter Clinger on May 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

…darn!…where would we all be without the – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – ?

We’d be in a world where I probably would have qualified for a decent scholarship.

nextgen_repub on May 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

stolen valor victimhood

DavidW on May 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

A kilt. Do they wear underwear under those things?

JPeterman on May 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

No. And thats one of the reasons for Hadrian’s Wall.

How do you intimidate large, red-headed men who don’t wear support garments? You don’t.

BTW, I’m directly related to Robert the Bruce of “Braveheart” fame. In most places in Scotland, that’ll get me beat up.

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Now that’s funny. I don’t care who ya are.

Bitter Clinger on May 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Elizabeth Warren camp: Her great-great-great-grandmother was Cherokee

So?

thebrokenrattle on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This assumes the ancestor was full Cherokee. But i am still unconvinced. These guys come out of the woods every time a President is elected and always have doubtful or ambiguous proof.

pat on May 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Cool man now I’ll vote for her! Hey pass the doob

WeekendAtBernankes on May 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

One of my ancestors was captured by Indians. He escaped, but only after a lot of abuse. What kind of reparations do I get? Whatever it is, pretty sure I should get 1/32 of it from Elizabeth Warren.

hoosiermama on May 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I don’t think it counts if Sarah Smith wasn’t on the tribal rolls. And that’s pretty easy to check, seems like if she was, that would have been part of the statement.

mbs on May 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

O.C. Sarah Smith, who is listed on an Oklahoma marriage certificate as Cherokee

Check for layers.

faraway on May 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM

No. And thats one of the reasons for Hadrian’s Wall.

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Bob! That was us Picts that made the Romans build that pesky wall. 9th legion and all that.

So?

thebrokenrattle on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Actually a good part of Massachusetts is saying “Yikes!” See the comments at the Boston Herald for the reaction. It’s a hoot.

dogsoldier on May 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My husband’s great great grandmother was Cherokee (?), can’t remember exactly which tribe, but all of his relatives lived in Indian Territory in Oklahoma. Heck, way back in his family tree is Pocahontas, so he has a double dose of Indian blood. Let the benefits start rolling in.

bopbottle on May 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hey, family legend has it that we’re descended from Pocahontas, your husband and I must be related, lol. So far no benefits, though.

mbs on May 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

… and go into battle naked.

And yeah, that would get you beat up in Scotland. I wouldn’t announce that in any highland pubs.

gravityman on May 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

This reminds me of Dennis Hopper explaining to Christopher Walken’s Sicilian character in True Romance why he’s part black.

Doughboy on May 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You’re part eggplant (language warning)

Ugly on May 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

…referring to the candidate’s great-great-great-grandmother, O.C. Sarah Smith, who is listed on an Oklahoma marriage certificate as Cherokee.

What percentage did Mrs. Smith need to qualify? Was she Cherokee by the one-drop rule?

Tzetzes on May 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Are Oklahoma marriage certificates from a hundred something years ago online or did this pop culture genealogist fly down to Oklahoma on his own dime to dig this up? Or is his expert authority mouth merely being used to assert something that the Warren camp dug up or fabricated?

Does she have more indian than the other Mass senator has Irish?

Buddahpundit on May 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM

So saying you are Cherokee with the same gusto as the “Everybody is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day” crowd is all it takes to call yourself a minority faculty member at Harvard? You wouldn’t even be able to get so much as a free lunchat our local public school based on My Grandmother was Cherokee. You would have to produce your card proving it.

I mean seriously? How many actual Native American professors were NOT hired because this box was already checked?

Harvard needs to do some ‘splainin.

Lily on May 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Harvard needs to do some ‘splainin.

Lily on May 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM

As do the other schools that hired her using this as part of the decision. Several listed her as Native American yet they all are trying to say that had nothing to do with choosing her.

dogsoldier on May 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

“As some of you may know, I am part-English and part-Irish. And when my Kerry ancestors first came over to Massachusetts from the old country to find work in the New World, it was my English ancestors who refused to hire them.”

-John Kerry

Buddahpundit on May 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM

“Noted genealogist Christopher Child” Said himself that Warren’s family was NOT registered on the final Dawes Commission roll. So that means one thing only. She can’t be a Member of the Cherokee Nation. The Dawes roll is the final say of who is Cherokee and who is not. A marriage certificate means nothing, it’s just a self-claim. To be recognized as a Native American you have to have a CDIB card.

Jimilee on May 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

a/k/a Dances With The Truth

50sGuy on May 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

‘She’s a white indian’ – Rush

CW on May 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM

-John Kerry

Buddahpundit on May 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hey, I remember him. Didn’t he once serve in Vietnam?

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I’m a descendant of Emil of Stalingrad, which gets me a punch in the mouth if I’m ever in Berlin.

teacherman on May 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Back in my college days, a few roommates were fractional indians. I think one had to be 1/8 at the time. They used their monthly indian checks for drinking money. True story.

2L8 on May 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Jimilee on May 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

If it actually exists it was her son’s marriage certificate, not hers. As I wrote upthread, a couple HA posters researched this and discovered Childs is probably incorrect. They posted their findings, which I am reluctant to link here, since I read the mods disapprove of it. (If I am in error about that please let me know)

dogsoldier on May 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

dogsoldier on May 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Sweet! I was just using the classic Breitbartian tactic.

thebrokenrattle on May 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Elizabeth Warren camp: Her great-great-great-grandmother was Cherokee

Elizabeth Warren is a white-skinned communist who speaks with a forked-tongue….

Danny on May 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM

You know, we could kill off the beast that is AA by simply all claiming to be some protected class that tugs at the heartstrings of the proggies.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Will she make that song by Cher her Campaign theme?

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Let’s see would that be “Gypsies Tramps and Thieves”

or perhaps “Bang Bang he shot me down”

KW64 on May 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

There are some folks who, when they mention their Indian ancestry, you think of their face and go, “Oh yeah; I kinda see it.”

A. Martinez
Benjamin Bratt
Burt Reynolds
Cher
James Earl Jones
Johnny Depp
Lou Diamond Phillips
Teri Hatcher
Val Kilmer

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM

If she loses to Scott Brown, she wants a casino as a consolation prize to go away quietly.

jan3 on May 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I can’t wait for Reporters to start asking Elizabeth Warren what she learned from her family lore about Great-Great-Great-Granny Smith that gave her the valuable perspective that justified Harvard Law School publicizing Elizabeth Warren’s “minority” status.

Still waiting…

wren on May 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM

If my dog is 1/32 Golden Retriever and 31/32 mutt, can I still call him a Golden Retriever? Hey, AKC…. where the hell are my mutt’s papers?

Storybec on May 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM

My parents are from south Georgia (the state, not the country). Is there a Red Neck minority advantage?

Dingbat63 on May 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

You can’t take the academic out of the academy. The country is laughing at this twit who was lecturing us a few months ago. Who built the roads now twit.

Tom McDonald on May 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

And there are so many Cherokee in Massachussetts. Especially around Cambridge. Hoisted on your own spittoon.

EMD on May 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Will she play 1/32nd of this song for her campaign?

Which would be ten seconds, total.

profitsbeard on May 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Now you know what I feel on St Patrick’s Day when EVERYONE is Irish…. lol. Warren is no more Native American than my left nut is Polish…… and I’m 100% Irish BTW. My apologies for the crassness.

MNDavenotPC on May 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So her great great great grandmother was Indian. So what.

I bet over 50% of the American population have some Indian blood in them.

dukecitygirl on May 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Someone needs to ask her what clan her g-g-g-grandmother was from, or……

whether she was Eastern band or of the Cherokee nation in OK, or…

what her roll number was or…..

which of the federal Indian census records she last appeared on or….
who was the last member of the family to reside and find subsistence on any of the recognized reservations?
That should keep her staff busy for a while.

OR…..(snicker/sarc/on) ask if her ancestor was a “Cherokee Princess” with a name like “princess snow dove” ….(sarc/off).

See, there are a whole whompin’ lot of us who have similar lineage, if not more blood quantum than her 1/32, validated with meticulous official documentation. However, because my fore-bearers left the res and assimilated into white European culture and society in the 1830s and 40s, it would never occur to me to try to use them for personal gain or professional advancement (and I am in academia). I regard my ancestors with far deeper respect and honor than to exploit their identity in such a fashion as Ms Warren has done.
Shame on you, madame.

DuraMater on May 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Move over Navin R.Johnson there’s a new “luckiest guy in the world” and his name is Scott Brown.

Tom McDonald on May 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Check the headline on this same topic from earlier today.

We looked at the New England Genealogist findings, scroll to page 2 of the comments.

Elizabeth Warren’s Great Great Great Grandmother was listed as White in the 1860 Bledsoe County TN., census. Last comment in the thread.

Dr Evil on May 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

All right, my daughter’s GREAT grandmother was Cherokee. Where does she sign up for minority status?

Bob's Kid on May 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Warren is already on the ropes. Brown should finish her candidacy by raising questions about One Percent Warren’s role as a corporate textbook profiteer. College students hate textbook prices, the textbook industry which constantly issues new editions of textbooks to cut off used textbook sales, and the professors who require students to purchase the newest editions of the books for class. Warren has earned much of her wealth colluding with publishers to scalp students. I doubt the Occupiers and Young Democrats will be able to muster much enthusiasm for Warren if they learn how she earned her spot in “the 1%.”

Lawdawg86 on May 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

cheers :0)

meuraqt on May 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Blow your mind: Envision Warren in Cher’s “Half Breed” costume.

Mutnodjmet on May 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Ewww no thanks

WeekendAtBernankes on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Elizabeth Warren is whiter than the skin under George Will’s panty line.

WeekendAtBernankes on May 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

What do I get for being pure Scottish?

(besides drunk, of course)

BobMbx on May 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM
You get some haggis and a glass of Irn Bru.

diogenes on May 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The marriage certificate in question was from the second marriage of William J. Crawford when he was 61 years old. It was in Logan, Oklahoma in 1894 and he put on the marriage certificate that his mother, Neomi C. Smith Crawford, was Cherokee. There is absolutely no evidence of that. Her father was Wyatt S. Smith and they had numerous children. Her birth name was Neomi C. Sarah Smith and she was born about 1794 in North Carolina and lived most of her life in Tennessee. I think it was family lore even back in the early 1800′s. Some family stories never die. There were Cherokee in North Carolina, so the story probably comes from there.

Ken James on May 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Ken James on May 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

William J Crawford was 57 years old when he married Mary E Woolford also 57, her parents were C.W. Long and Margaret Cowin.

I looked at William J Crawford’s marriage licenses he married Mary E Woolford 12 May 1894. It’s online anyone can look at HERE.

Hit the zoom button top left and scroll down the right hand side of to view the Marriage License and Marriage Certificate. It states his mother was O.C. Smith.

Dr Evil on May 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM

…darn!…where would we all be without the – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – ?

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

One Nation Under God?

Red State State of Mind on May 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It’s my understanding that the federal government withdraws federal recognition of a person as “Indian” when they reach below one-fourth Indian blood.

Some tribes go as low as 1/16 Indian blood.

I would doubt that the Cherokee would view a 1/32 level as meaningful in terms of racial/tribal identity.

How could Warren ever have claimed that she was anykind of minority?

And yet she did for years and years – until she got her gig at Harvard, then she dropped it – it was no longer needed, having served its purpose.

How would the African-American community view this if she had claimed minority status because she was 1/32 black?

sultanp on May 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Dr Evil on May 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM

So, she was a WHITE Native American? Was that reported by the NYT?

Red State State of Mind on May 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Sung to the beat of Kaw-Liga by Hank Williams, Sr.

“Warren was a wooden candidate in the Senate race
She took on Scott Brown and got in his face!
Liz Wa-rr-en…..!

She tried so hard to get the folks to see
That she was a real minority.”

Red State State of Mind on May 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

So, she was a WHITE Native American? Was that reported by the NYT?

Red State State of Mind on May 1, 2012 at 10:04 PM

If Warren’s campaign were smart, they would let go of this losing proposition, but something tells me they aren’t smart. The part that smells is she claimed minority status.

It’s like Allah stated up in the post.

Dr Evil on May 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Ok. I’m concerned here. My G-G-G-G grandfather ( I guess 4 G’s, not sure ) WAS Chief John Ross who led the Trail of Tears. I’m 1/8th Cherokee according to ancestry stuff. I haven’t really researched it, although last November I went to the cemetery in Talequah OK to see the family cemetery that everyone like the Ross’ were buried in.

I’m going to pull all the pictures and make sure there are no Smith’s buried there. Took many pics of the tombstones (really cool). If there are, please note I’ll be jumping off a tall building because THAT is my family, there are many names and I DON’T WANT TO BE RELATED TO THIS SOCIALIST!!!!!!

Have a nice day.

mimi1220 on May 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Headline from “News We Don’t Have Time to Write About” at thepeoplescube:

Elizabeth Warren claims kinship to Sitting Bull; receives Indian name of Lying Cow

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah … We are ALL part Cherokee. Good grief. How stupid are the people of Massachusetts? I don’t get it. Is the water tainted up there? I mean, just LOOK at this silly person. For crappsake, all that’s missing in the faux-leather head-band and the dyed-turkey eagle feather.

minnesoter on May 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

So is this going to hurt her in the election?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So Princess Running Scared thinks 1/32nd is all you need to be pushed to the head of the line. But if 1/32nd makes you one ethnic group, what does the other 31/32nds account for?

Fred 2 on May 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM

So is this going to hurt her in the election?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

It is only May, if the Native poser thing blew in September, she is toast. But it might still be hard to shake it once you become a target of derision.

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Dr Evil

Thanks for the link. The source I saw said he was 61. His mother was known as O.C., Neoma, Nioma, Oma, Sarah, and probably some other names. Elizabeth (Herring) Warren is descended from William’s brother, Preston H. I think it’s plausible she was Cherokee, but I bet it’s a couple of generations before her. The Cherokees were forced out of the East in the mid-1800′s, almost 50 years before Sarah Smith was born. Family lore is probably the best it’s going to get.

Ken James on May 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Dr. Evil: Wish I could edit that comment…Obviosuly the mid-1800′s hadn’t occurred yet. I was thinking the mid 1700′s, a full century off. Time to go to bed.

Ken James on May 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Yeah, and I have a niece and nephew, as well as three grandkids that are 1/16 Cherokee. Nyah, nyah, nyah, Lizzie.

That and a buck might buy you a cup of coffee.

hachiban on May 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Native-American heritage: unwarrented claim?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM

By Gooberment Standards, if she was 1/64nd American Indian, would that make her a Double Octroon?

So if she was actually 1/32nd American Indian, what grade of Octroon would that make her?

Nothing like hypodescent and phrenological categories used by bureaucrats to really mess things up…

glcinpdx on May 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM

So it’s now official now. The new minority threshold is 3.125 %.

There once was a woman from Nantucket…

diogenes on May 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

People’s Cube rocks.

petefrt on May 2, 2012 at 7:36 AM

For someone active on Twitter, #WarrensIndianName could be fun.

Jim Treacher, are you there?

petefrt on May 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Whatever – we do NOT want or need her in the U.S. Senate.

Amazingoly on May 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM

What a coincidence, I’m one-thirty-second Cherokee also!

Mini-14 on May 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Watch yourselves.

By Massachusetts State law, this whole thread is a Hate Crime. You can start your research at Section 32, Definitions.

And if any of you have insulting photos or films of her in Native garb, dancing funny, standing near or entering Native American living areas or etc. — destroy them at once.

She may see them, get upset and go jump off a bridge or something and you will never get out of jail.

My son made a joke up there and ended up dead.

IlikedAUH2O on May 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Frankly, Elizabeth Warren is just doing what politicians in this country have done since the early 1700′s, namely insult the name and heritage of Native Peoples who were here long before the European settlers moved in.

pilamaye on May 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I lied. Actually, my son made a cartoon.

IlikedAUH2O on May 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM

pilamaye on May 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Yes and even in DC, they ignore drunks dressed up like “Indians” at Redskins games.

IlikedAUH2O on May 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM