Confirmed: Atheists more motivated by compassion in charitable giving than believers are; Update: Numbers added

posted at 10:15 pm on May 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

First nonbelief is linked to analytic thinking, now this. So that’s why people hate atheists. We’re too darned smart and soulful.

Obama’s been spiking the football all day. Now it’s my turn. Picture me pointing at the computer screen, performing an impromptu Ickey Shuffle, and then slamming that pigskin to the ground so hard that it knocks the money out of my wallet and straight into your favorite charity’s donation box. Touchdown.

That doesn’t mean highly religious people don’t give, according to the research to be published in the July 2012 issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science. But compassion seems to drive religious people’s charitable feelings less than it other groups.

“Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not,” study co-author and University of California, Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer said in a statement. “The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns.”…

In the first study, Saslow and her colleagues analyzed data from a national survey of more than 1,300 American adults taken in 2004. They found that compassionate attitudes were linked with how many generous behaviors a person was likely to report. But this link was strongest in people who were atheists or only slightly religious, compared with people who were more strongly religious.

In a second experiment, 101 adults were shown either a neutral video or an emotional video about children in poverty. They were then given 10 fake dollars and told they could give as much as they liked to a stranger. Those who were less religious gave more when they saw the emotional video first.

As usual with these studies about religion, the headline is irresistibly sexy — you’d be excused for thinking at a glance that it was claiming atheists are more compassionate — and then when you read the fine print the reality is more mundane. The study’s not saying that atheists are more compassionate, it’s saying that atheist charitable giving depends more heavily on actually feeling compassion for the victim than believers’ giving does. The believer may tithe or may decide that, as a matter of religious duty, he/she should set aside a certain amount of income to be donated among various charities. In that case, the motive is more an aspiration to behave virtuously than to satisfy some swelling of sympathy. For most (but not all) nonbelievers, I suspect, it’s sympathy that’s the key trigger. That’s how it is for me: I give generously when I feel moved to do so but I don’t set out to spend a specific aggregate amount annually. I do need to feel moved, though. Assuming most other atheists are like me, that means our pattern of giving is more volatile than a believer’s is likely to be, and that in turn probably means that believers are more likely on average to give. (Studies seem to bear this out.) I’d be curious to know, though, whether the amount of the average atheist donation is greater than the amount of the average believer’s donation. If it’s true that sympathy is more important to us, I’d expect that flush of emotion might drive us to give more when we do choose to donate. But since we’re probably donating less frequently than believers do, it may well be that we end up giving less annually in total than believers anyway. Anyone know of any numbers to confirm or challenge those assumptions? I can’t find any with quickie googling.

Update: John McCormack of the Standard e-mails with a link to this Arthur Brooks piece from 2003. The numbers are … not good:

The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). And, consistent with the findings of other writers, these data show that practicing a religion is more important than the actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior. For example, among those who attend worship services regularly, 92 percent of Protestants give charitably, compared with 91 percent of Catholics, 91 percent of Jews, and 89 percent from other religions…

Charity differences between religious and secular people persist if we look at the actual amounts of donations and volunteering. Indeed, measures of the dollars given and occasions volunteered per year produce a yawning gap between the groups. The average annual giving among the religious is $2,210, whereas it is $642 among the secular. Similarly, religious people volunteer an average of 12 times per year, while secular people volunteer an average of 5.8 times. To put this into perspective, religious people are 33 percent of the population but make 52 percent of donations and 45 percent of times volunteered. Secular people are 26 percent of the population but contribute 13 percent of the dollars and 17 percent of the times volunteered.

These differences hardly change when we consider them in isolation from the other demographics, using a statistical technique called tobit regression. Religious practice by itself is associated with $1,388 more given per year than we would expect to see from a secular person (with the same political views, income, education, age, race, and other characteristics), as well as with 6.5 more occasions of volunteering.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Are you a mind-reader?

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I don’t believe so./
Years of observing atheists impugning the motives of religious people, and trying to prove “God’s” non-existence through dismantling religious doctrine that I don’t hold has led me to believe that. On the other hand, evangelist’s efforts to cram “Jesus” (can’t even pronounce a Latin “translation” correctly, lol) down my throat are equally annoying to me.

S. D. on May 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Well, every atheist YOU know is liberal, so that makes it true for everyone!
Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You either don’t read very well or read what you want to read. Signs you have bad eyes, are dumb or are a liberal.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’m sorry…

… What’s the name of the atheist who took over Mother Teresa’s work again?

It keeps slipping my mind…

Seven Percent Solution on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

While the idea and action of charity is not mutually exclusive to religious or non-religious people, I find the non-religious I know definitely donate more time and money to the less fortunate than the religious people I know.

kastor on May 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Unsure who you know, but all religious people I know give much more time, and I mean much more time and money to the less fortunate than the non-religious people I know.

AND study after study shows that Conservatives in America give more time and more money to charities than Liberals. While there are Conservatives who are atheists, most atheist are Liberals. So, again, studies don’t even back up your assertion.

Cpt. Kirk on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Totally offtopic, but can we get on to the important things in life? Like the release of the Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 trailer?

strictnein on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

WTF is…

Social Psychological and Personality Science

Sound’s like “I’ve got feelings and you must care what they are” wussification nonsense that has been nuetering the American male at an alarming rate of speed.

Hog Wild on May 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM

So Hot Air is now just a place for Allahpundit to post articles that make him feel better about himself.

Allahpundit is a pair of clown shoes.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM

THIS

fossten on May 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM

peacenprosperity

Cute, but not quite true is it? Because you guys are the ones with the uh…what do you call them…preachers? And churches and shit?

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Wow – if only Ayn Rand had addressed this topic in a 1,200-page novel…

King B on May 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

The numbers are … not good:

The numbers clearly have a religious bias. I bet they’re Methodists.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I predict more studies about how big headed, snobbish atheists are better than religious people.

…..Ah! I mean more compassionate! Phew, that was close!

Dongemaharu on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Seven Percent Solution

Gladly no one continued her work, the charlatan that she was.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I don’t care if you;re an atheist.
Just leave me the eff alone & stop trying to eliminate God from the world.
Go by the US Const if you live here & it’s fine.
Badger40 on May 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

And I don’t care if you’re religious, just leave me alone with your god(s) and stop trying to inject it in to everything: money, pledge, schools, etc.

And we SHOULD go by the US Const which has not a single mention of god in it.

kastor on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This is so OT but brought a smile. Via Drudge.

FLconservative on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

First nonbelief is linked to analytic thinking, now this. -AP

Why is it that atheists would be directly motivated by their emotions instead of reason?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

So, religious believers are always more emotional than non-believers except when giving to others?

Breaking: study discovers most social science studies contradict some other study.

AesopFan on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Ummm I call this study into question. How do you measure compassion? How do you measure any emotion? It isn’t a tangible thing so how do you quantify it?

NerwenAldarion on May 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I agree with your point; I’m just going to add that the Bible definition of love and compassion is not related to emotional feelings.

But you are exactly correct in that we cannot measure love and compassion like a 5 lb bag of flour or sugar, or a gallon of milk or gasoline.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Over my head Lady..but still like you. Btw..what are your charitable donations? You in the Atheists giving club?

ALLAH? hhe heh..Disclose.

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM

See, Glamazon RuPaul has this show where drag queens compete for cash and prizes and–lol! nevermind…

My biggest contributions have been myself (thanks for asking!). Spent 6 years in the U.S. Army, served with the Red Cross–helped run one of their shelters during Katrina. I’ve also thrown myself into State Adoption Fairs (for kids in foster care), AIDS hospice fundraising, welfare-to-work business clothing drives, and more that aren’t on the top of my head right now.

And to Husband’s exasperation, I still can’t resist giving a bum a buck. Still don’t get the atheist vs. believer stuff. I believe good people are everywhere. Don’t you?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Allrighty then, woo hoo,,, when is the Gay Pride Atheist Pride Parade inf NYC ? FU

chango butt on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Heard this discussed on a Christian station this morning. Their take on it was that believers have this quaint notion of stewardship -WISE use of funds, and so are more likely to check out the organizatin that’s making the ask, rather than just make a knee-jerk emotional reaction.

And yes, people of faith give a heck of a lot more than non-believers.

skydaddy on May 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hope you aren’t really a doctor because that is really intellectually weak.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Leftists and atheists (generally the same thing, and that includes you Allah) support causes with other people’s money, hence their support for government programs and lack of private giving. Every atheist I know fits that description.

echosyst on May 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

“I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people.” – Mother Theresa

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Every atheist I know fits that description.

echosyst on May 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM

How many atheists do you know?

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

AesopFan on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

You don’t really answer the question I bring up.

Do atheists make decisions based on predominantly on emotion? I’m not even suggesting that atheists have this “compassion” to mold their ethics and then choose to give. From what I see, this story is about atheists giving based on compassion.

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I believe good people are everywhere. Don’t you?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

No. Try to find one in the White House.

VorDaj on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

How many atheists do you know?

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

5,671. And a half.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Gladly no one continued her work, the charlatan that she was.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Compassionate response?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

It is intellectually weak to point out that your inane joke has no basis in reality? Who is out there proselytizing more often? Preaching more often? Atheists have been taking it up the ass in this culture too long. So now you guys can sit down and listen for a minute about what we think…now that we aren’t going to be hung, or exiled, or burned at the stake for saying what we believe.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Maimonides said

Wicked people give 5%

Middle of the Road people give 10%

Pious people give 20%

Fools give more than they can afford.

I say politicians have proven that they do not reach 1%.

sabbahillel on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

bs

BKeyser on May 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM

So those few secularist who actually give realllllly feel like they’re helping. As opposed to those dastardly religious folk who do it just because it’s the right thing to do.

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

VorDaj on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM
There are Marines in the whitehouse.

Rusty Allen on May 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Yeah, I remember as a kid going to all those atheist burnings, What good times!

Dude, I get you completely now.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Badger40 on May 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

And we SHOULD go by the US Const which has not a single mention of god in it.

kastor on May 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Devote Christians are NEVER going to stop “injecting” God into everything they do or discuss.

Christian believers tolerate expressions of atheism every day, every where.
It’s some atheists who can’t tolerate inadvertently viewing or overhearing christian believers express their Christianity in public.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

It is not compassionate to lie to your children. To tell homosexuals that they are sinners, born astray, and going to some fairyland hell for being themselves.

Compassion is displayed even by animals. There is no Christian monopoly on basic human feelings, feelings that existed long before any religion or even language. Feelings that no God is required to create.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Atheists give out of compassion. The religious give out of compassion, out of religious duty, out of civic duty, etc.

The religious probably have more compassion than atheists, indeed, that was the point of the first link about atheists being more analytical, while religious folks are more intuitive – which can also mean more empathic.

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, every atheist YOU know is liberal, so that makes it true for everyone!

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I was a practical atheist-many reformed Jews are Jewish only in culture-until my mid ’20′s…and I’ve never been a liberal.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

How many atheists do you know?

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

5,671. And a half.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Humor doesn’t work on that one. It won’t end well.

Dongemaharu on May 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Sounds remotely totalitarian. #Occupy teh churches!

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Step out of the 15th century, unless you live in Afghanistan, Iran, Egypt, Indonesia, or any other number of communities that practice that religion of pieces.

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Well that explains all the atheist run hospitals, universities and international relief organizations.

Oh.
Wait.

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Insert witty joke about flip-flopping

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

It fits.
My son jokes that I’m Jewish again…for this week anyway. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I’m perfectly comfortable with accepting that doing right by others is a moral imperative, and that people should receive grace regardless of whether I have touchy-feelies for them. If AP wants to preen about that, it’s up to him. I wouldn’t be the first person in this thread to note the irony of the atheist hordes, always belittlin’ dem religimous folk what don’t use their reasonin’, proud to claim that they are more likely to help others on the basis of an appeal to their emotions.

The Schaef on May 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

…(I don’t believe it)…

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It fits.
My son jokes that I’m Jewish again…for this week anyway. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

At least you can say you’ve been everything but a liberal.

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM

What would Ayn Rand have to say about this?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

There are Marines in the whitehouse.

Rusty Allen on May 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Great answer!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

At least you can say you’ve been everything but a liberal.

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Not true. I haven’t been a muslim either.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Dr. Manhattan also needs to step out of nations run by atheists, N. Korea, Cuba, China, the old USSR, etc.

Funny how atheist love to ignore the FACT that atheist run nations in the 20th and 21st centuries end up mass murdering their population.

Cpt. Kirk on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

What would Ayn Rand have to say about this?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

If you value getting pleasure from helping others who are less fortunate, and hold it as a value, you will do it often in pursuit of that value.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

basic human feelings, feelings that existed long before any religion or even language. Feelings that no God is required to created.

And then came free will. And then came humans who used thier free will to decide they were bigger than God.

One interesting thing that I have noticed about the atheists that I know well and have known for a long time, they were the kids that everyone gushed about how smart they were all during thier childhood. They grew up thinking they were smarter than everyone else and then decided they couldn’t have a being who was smarter than them so God simply can’t exist.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

In the general public, Christians have been forced to sit down and listen for a lot longer than a minute, to all the atheism the Counter-culture movement (’60s-70s) has thrown at us in the last forty years.

And how long has it been since the Spanish Inquisition was over?

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Not true. I haven’t been a muslim either.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

But you have been a practitioner of a major Abrahamic religion.

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I was just going to bring that up. I can see that having a potential impact on the polling. Also, I would like to understand if the pollsters understood scripture.

Maybe I’m going out on a limb here, but I’m guessing the pollsters aren’t terribly familiar with the Bible.

It’s kinda like me taking a poll on physics, and coming to the conclusion that gravity sucks. Well…kinda.

badtemper on May 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I’m thinking this study was designed to have the given outcome.

Axion on May 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Cpt. Kirk on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Much stronger point.

Fighton03 on May 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

So that’s why people hate atheists.

Yes. That’s why.

Jaibones on May 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yes. Hmmm… doesn’t sound so selfless, now does it?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Christian believers tolerate expressions of atheism every day, every where.
listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM

And what would an “expression of atheism” look like exactly on your daily course of actions?

Oh, yeah, atheists are the only group that has to “tolerate” christian injection, because I guess there are no other religions/beliefs in this country and Christianity is the only true religion. /sarc

kastor on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

One thing that the Bible is clear on is that we are all given gifts, even compassion, whether we are believers or not. The God often gives the gift of compassion to those who are atheists.

Our task as believers is to develop those gifts, and for that you need the grace of God and a certain amount of prayer, as well as other devotional activities.

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Compassion is displayed even by animals.

Got proof?

Show me one animal that can demonstrably be shown to have altered its instinctive, self-preservationist behavior clearly based on a “moral sense.”

And no, that dog that stayed with its “buddy” who got hit by a car doesn’t count. That’s just normal pack behavior.

skydaddy on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I submit: Christians are less likely to give themselves credit for ‘generosity’ than athesits. In the Christian community it is considered unseemly to take credit for these things. We are to give the glory to God – and are therefore more likely to say we give because its the right thing or because we want to please God.

This ‘study’ fails to see the difference in ‘culture’ between Christians and atheists.

LilyBart on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Cpt. Kirk

Hmm, it’s almost like…there is a link between those countries. Like some sort of political system that they all have in common!

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Oh.
Wait.

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Well, they do run the public universities. They just do it with our forced contributions . . . I mean tax dollars.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We’re too darned smart and soulful.

I can’t believe (no pun intended) that I didn’t notice that the first time and no one else seems to have noticed it.

Allah believes atheists have souls.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Got proof?

skydaddy on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Remember, the “normal pack behavior” could very likely be the Dr’s definition of compassion.

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Cpt. Kirk on May 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Called it!

C’mon, AP.

Everyone knows atheists are just dictatorial thugs who want to be god themselves and who kill millions of people in the name of atheism because atheism.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM

What Captain Kirk also fails to realize is that all of those evil atheist tyrants killing people in the name of atheism because atheism also drank water. So, logically, drinking water is also associated with being a mass murderer.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I don’t give or help because it makes me feel a certain way or to make a certain feeling go away. I give or help because it needs to be done. I do not give so that I can get something back like satisfaction or good feelings, I give expecting to get nothing in return.

Being motivated by emotion is not always a virtue in my book. Emotions go away, they fade with time. Take the Vietnam War for instance, certain people were all worked up about Vietnamese civilians when they were on the news every day, but when the war ended and the news stopped reporting on them, those same people forgot about them entirely. That’s when the churches of America stepped up and began sponsoring refugees, getting them out of the hellholes that their countries had become.

Emotion can just as easily motivate one to commit atrocities as it can to commit acts of mercy. Duty, love and logic are much better guides then emotion.

29Victor on May 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

skydaddy

Funny that you call it “pack behavior” when it is animals, and “compassion” when its humans. Because hell, humans never display pack behavior, say like forming massive oppressive religious systems for the purpose of tribal self preservation.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

kastor on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

A secular student alliance pizza party b*tching about Christian persecution of atheists?

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Cpt. Kirk

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yeah – ATHEISM is their political system! Duh!

/s

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Toldya

MeatHeadinCA on May 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Good Lt

Exactly. It takes a warped religious text to get people to kill other people like that, that or a stand in, like Das Kapital.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM

The atheists are no different from others…they’re all trying to sell you something.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

You believe that there is no God. That’s all. No big ideas, no deep philosophy. You go on and on and on and on and on about nothing.

Gelsomina on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

It’s posts like these that bring in the hits, so AP can give more to charity.t

Client Number Nine on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

So, logically, drinking water is also associated with being a mass murderer.
Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Communism is to mass murder what drinking water is to mass murder.

You atheists certainly are the smart ones.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Do you even know what secular means? It doesn’t mean atheist or anti-religion, it simply means not related to religion.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Correct!

Not motivated by religious duty.

Religion/gods/doctrine not involved in any way.

A-theistic.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Communism is to mass murder what drinking water is to mass murder.

You atheists certainly are the smart ones.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

We’re using your ‘logic’ to demonstrate to you that it isn’t in fact logic.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Fake dollars and fake results. I really wonder whose money these people threw down the drain to conduct this moronic study?

Africanus on May 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Yeah but AP – Thou shalt not covet. I’m sure AP will vote for the one who can fix that issue.

Fuquay Steve on May 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Seems reasonable. Religious people take into account community in their donations, and atheists, having no community, do not.

Of course, one could say that the more analytical one is, the more one is apt to lie on tests, for the more apt one will be to figure out the reason for the test.

One would love to know how the controls on this study were done.

unclesmrgol on May 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I’d love to see an update on : AP insults every reader on Hot Air. Numbers added.

Fuquay Steve on May 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I thought for sure the study was going to involve showing atheists a picture of Andrew Carnegie.

J.E. Dyer on May 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I love these unprovable conclusions from studies that only atheists and liberals would concoct.

Dick Cheney gives $20,000,000 to a private school in Washington DC with a majority of black children and the left brands him a racist. Gore gave $350 that same year (according to his tax returns) and he is a darling of the left.

It’s all politics, pure and simple.

The Rock on May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

What’s “compassion”?

Everything is a meaningless accident… for no reason… to accomplish nothing… remember? How can random gatherings of atoms have “compassion”?

mankai on May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

So you are saying there is no link between mass murder and communism? Not even the ones written about by the very ones doing the killing, you know, all about how they are killing people for being counter-revolutionaries? What a disgraceful thing to say, to distort the reason that millions died during the 20th Century. If you really believe that, I’m not sure what to say. But I guess if you believe in the triune-deity of a Galilean carpenter sporting a cliched backstory who may or may not have even existed, I guess you’ll believe anything, huh?

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Atheists have been taking it up the ass in this culture too long.

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Oh geez please. Now you’re the victim.

Bwwhaahahaha .

CW on May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Religion/gods/doctrine not involved in any way.
A-theistic.
Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Using your earlier bizarre logic, my car doesn’t run on fish, it is not fueled by fish, fish are not involved with my car in any way. Therefore my car is a fish.

You guys are funny. I bet if you and Dr, Manhattan were sitting together having a conversation it would look like Miles and Frazier talking about football.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

This is more about non-religious people not understanding the way that religious people see the world. From a Christian world view we are all immortal and so our motivation for helping people is less about the temporary problem they have and more about showing the love of Christ to someone in need. The bible says that we do not grieve the way the world grieves because our hope is on something greater and everlasting. A non-believer will see someone in a tragic situation and grieve because they see life as short and how painful it is to see someone having to suffer in the short life that they have. I will see that same person and grieve as well for their situation but only because I grieve for anyone’s tragedy. I won’t see it as a waste of the persons short life but as an opportunity for God to move in their lives. The bible makes it clear that God uses hard times to make us strong and since I know this person will live forever, my main goal is not to fix their situation (even though I will do all I can out of love) but to help them turn to and rely on God.

When a study says that we are not as affected by compassion it is both right and wrong. We are very much moved by compassion but for different reasons and so it will not always show the same way. Every year new studies show that Christians give more to charity than other groups, so should it matter that we are doing it for different reasons than another group. Isn’t it not more important that we celebrate that people are being helped. Does it matter that I am doing out my love for Christ and a hope to be able to show them that love instead of out of some temporal personal connection?

One example: I loved my grand father VERY much but when he died I did not cry a lot. He was the most important person in my life at that time but he and I are both believers so I KNEW that I would see him again. I did cry a little and still get emotional sometimes when I tell my son about him but it is more of a happy cry. I know that he is with the LORD and that excites me. Does it mean that I loved him any less that I did not cry everyday for a week? NO, my love for him is strong but since I believe that I will see him again I do not grieve as the world does.

So again, this is not about Christians being less compassionate, in fact I think we are more compassionate but that compassion is also filtered through a different world view. We see the hope that lies beyond and that lessens the pain we feel. I would argue that also makes us more capable of acting as well. People overcome and ruled by emotion might want to change the world but are usually too blinded by that emotion to see how to do it. If my faith helps me to not get too attached and moved by the tragedy of the day but my devotion to and love of Christ compels me to act, then aren’t I more capable of making good, sound decisions in that moment?

damonrexroad on May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

So, logically, drinking water is also associated with being a mass murderer.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Only if it’s fluoridated.

Personally, I only drink rain water or pure grain alcohol.

malclave on May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Billy ‘White Shoes’ Johnson emails to say, “The Ickey shuffle? Damn.”

Mr. Wednesday Night on May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos on May 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Thank goodness that is true, Johnny. My family is chock full of Catholics, Baptists, Evangelicals. It’s gotten easy over the years to be polite and still while they preach–black Christians gotta preach! the virtues of their holiness, then go on about the business of life.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Can somebody do another comment beginning with “every atheist I know…” They’re so hilarious.

Client Number Nine on May 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012

So many you atheistic types are just sad ugly people. You keep proving it over and over with your simplistic trite little jokes about Jesus and his followers.

Just plain ugly. You know it and you revel in it. It is YOU.

CW on May 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Dr. Manhattan on May 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Holy cow (no pun intended)! I think the doc short circuited. Anyone know him get a straight jacket over there before he hurts himself.

peacenprosperity on May 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

If everything must be explained by the laws of science, then all thought must only be a chemical reaction to stimuli. So any action or thought by anybody (or anything) is just a reaction to stimuli. Period. Thought itself is an accident with no purpose. Just chemicals reacting to stimuli.

Therefore, everything is meaningless and purely the result of the laws of chemistry and physics.

Discussing “compassion” is therefore stupid… except that we apparently had no choice to discuss it since our thoughts are only reactions to stimuli over which we have no control… and, thus, even this post is necessarily just a chemical reaction to stimuli.

mankai on May 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Correct!

Not motivated by religious duty.

Religion/gods/doctrine not involved in any way.

A-theistic.

Good Lt on May 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I guess since your comment did not involve fashion in any way, you must not believe in wearing pants.

Ronnie on May 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM