Twitter eats itself?

posted at 8:41 am on April 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I suppose it was just a matter of time before Twitter became completely unmanageable.  After all, a self-policing population only works when the population is mature enough to handle the responsibility.  Using the spam-reporting mechanism built into Twitter and its after-market applications, liberal activists are succeeding in tricking the Twitter system into suspending the accounts of conservatives — for instance, my friend Chris Loesch, husband of Breitbart editor Dana Loesch:

Conservative Chris Loesch, music producer and husband of radio host and CNN contributor Dana Loesch, had his Twitter account suspended on Sunday. He was apparently targeted by leftist users who utilized the “Block & Report Spam” function to trigger the social media account’s automatic spam algorithm. He was notified of his suspension via an email from Twitter claiming it was due to multiple unsolicited mentions to other users. “You will need to change your behavior to continue using Twitter,” the email admonished.

“I never threatened anyone and am careful about being concise with what I write especially in public,” Mr. Loesch told The Washington Times. “They were going to make me sign this note that said one more infraction and I would be permanently banned. I wasn’t going to do that so I wrote emails to some of their people.” …

Mr. Loesch believes the spam-reporting campaign was kicked off by comments he made in defense of his wife. “It was business as usual for her I suppose,” he said. “Veiled threats, rape and murder comments, the typical liberal misogynist slag. Being the chivalrous and testosterone filled being I am requires me to protect the woman I love and call out the haters for being the ‘anonymous internet tough guys’ they are…Needless to say they don’t like being called out and struck back by reporting me as a spammer or worse.”

Chris, like the rest of the Breitbart crew, actively engages his detractors on Twitter.  (I tend to ignore them on Twitter, but that’s mostly because life is too short, and I have a pretty good platform for my views at Hot Air.)  It turns out that detractors don’t like engagement … they just like to bully people.  Instead of responding to Chris’ arguments, they began organizing an effort to force Twitter into suspending him by reporting his Twitter stream as spam.

Here’s the problem.  There actually is a ton of spam on Twitter, usually triggered by key words picked up by autobot searches.  In the ideal model — and one that had been working fairly well until now — legitimate Twitter users would report the spam, and Twitter would suspend the accounts.  That keeps traffic moving smoothly (a performance level that Twitter occasionally fails to maintain anyway) and disincentivizes spammers, at least to some extent.  Now that the Left is abusing the spam mechanism, Twitter will almost certainly have to suspend its use, which means the only people who will win this game are the spammers, and we’ll have no way to deal with the flood of annoying marketing messages.

Gee, thanks, progressive activists!

And it’s not as if they’re hiding their abuse of the system, either:

Conservatives suspect a coordinated campaign to report as spam users with whom liberal users disagree. Several users sent out tweets bragging about getting Mr. Loesch blocked, including one claiming “my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

Twitchy has two articles on the subject in the last few hours, both of which collate some of the bragging done by progressive activists.  Be sure to read through both, but I’ll spoil the (non)surprise a bit.  At least a couple of these progressive activists are the same #StopRush members trying to force Rush Limbaugh off the air, for the same reason — because they can’t compete with him.  If they could compete with Chris and the other conservatives on Twitter, they wouldn’t have to abuse the spam mechanism on Twitter to shut them up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good picture for the topic!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I’m a twit when it comes to twitter!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

No can do!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I suppose it was just a matter of time before Twitter became completely unmanageable. After all, a self-policing population only works when the population is mature enough to handle the responsibility.

Quote: Ed Morrissey

America in a nutshell.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

My kids think I’m technically toast!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Separate Conservative & Liberal Twitter platforms?
Nah.
Liberals never play nice. They’re all bullies from what I’ve seen.
They decry bullying & in the next breath engage viciously in it.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Dang it Ed.

Now I’ve got those dancing vikings in my head, again.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Is it funny how “twitter” became a verb? IE, Chris Loesch just “twittered” that he is having trouble with “twitter.” Is the past tense of twitter, “twatter”? Is it an irregular verb. What are the proper conjugations? twit, twitter, to twitter, will twitter, have twittered, will have twittered…? I’m no English expert, but this is the stuff that perplexes me…/

ted c on April 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Good picture for the topic!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Yeah it is.
Gonna go make me a breakfast sammich of Spam, Velveeta & an egg!

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Besides being a clear TOS violation, that sounds legally actionable.

TallDave on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

So Lefties like to suppress speech and they reject diversity of thought? Huh. Some things never change, I guess.

It’s things like this that made me seriously question my Lefty upbringing/indoctrination and eventually abandon it.

visions on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

It all comes to a screeching halt when networks of Conservatives flag every liberal post, sometimes things have to come to a head before they’re improved.

Speakup on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Marxism at its heart is a morlly corrupt philosphy that cannot stand the light of truth -thus it must destroy it from being heard. It is, at its core, evil.

(Since Christianity is about truth {As Christ told Pilate,””I came to bring the truth} it must be the constant enemy of the Marxists -and so it is in America as well….)

Don L on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

2 year olds

cmsinaz on April 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

We will not be silent. Call a whaaambulance.

I’m glad you’re shining a light on this, Ed. When progressives can no longer surpress the truth they will have very little left in their arsenal.

Naturally Curly on April 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

My compliments to the Hot Air mods for doing a great job of cleaning up a lot of the trolls who were wrecking the comments.

St Gaudens on April 30, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I don’t get Twitter.

Night Owl on April 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Liberals never play nice. They’re all bullies from what I’ve seen.
They decry bullying & in the next breath engage viciously in it.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I think it was Ann Coulter who pointed out that when the Left accuses someone of a misdeed, it really is just serving as an admission of guilt/projection on their part. Funny because it’s (more often than not) true.

visions on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

a breakfast sammich of Spam, Velveeta & an egg!

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Poor man’s Egg McMuffin?

petefrt on April 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

visions on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Some things change, and you are proof of it. Good for you, and us.

Night Owl on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Dang it Ed.

Now I’ve got those dancing vikings in my head, again.

listens2glenn on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

you too?

Damn you Monty Python…..

mark81150 on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Imagine, we all managed to survive without Twitter. I suppose we can do it again. Walk away from it! I’ve walked away from my iPad, to some extent, and I’m amazed at how much more I am enjoying life–less jaded and more relaxed!

It startles me how often liberals throw tantrums when things are perceived to be heading in the wrong direction. Don’t like a comment–boycott. Don’t like a person–shut down their Twitter. Don’t like a position-mock it.

Ugh!

ABO2012

herm2416 on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

KOOLAID2
Your a wingnut, ;-)………..

angrymike on April 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This is yet another reason why Facebook is better than Twitter.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Speakup on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

That’s what I suggest.. don’t just complain about it..

hammer them back like the wrath of God.. constantly, everyday, every hour every minute,.. make mr. Internet tough guy cry like the thumb sucker he is.. Liberals are by their nature, bullying thugs..

they also are raging cowards and chronic whiners..

Just do it in return, and get everyone else to join in.. let’s see Crybaby Squarepants laugh it off when his Twitter account is shut down.

mark81150 on April 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM

herm2416 on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 AM

When you views don’t stand up to the least amount of scrutiny, when your party’s leader is an out-and-out socialist, when your side is destroying America and you damned well know it……..

Boycotts and temper tantrums are about the only tools you have.

Happy Nomad on April 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

When liberals encounter someone they disagree with they try to bully them into silence.
When conservatives encounter someone they disagree with they try to engage them in rational debate.

The best way to expose a fool is to let him speak.

single stack on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It’s time to stop calling these marxists “liberal.” They are illiberal thugs who are determined to shut down any viewpoint they disagree with. They are the true digital brown shirts.

rbj on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

visions on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I find this true with all liars, thieves, & malcontents.

Poor man’s Egg McMuffin?

petefrt on April 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I fit that bill.
You gotta crisp up the Spam slices before you marry them with the fried egg & cheese.
And of course, it must me on lightly toasted bread (sourdough is choice) that’s been lightly buttered with genuine Amish-made butter.
To die for.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I don’t twitter and I don’t facebook, in spite of the pressures from the providers to do so. I am against anonymous postings. Even my handle is tracable to who I am and my background. I am, however not so dumb to give my address or telephone number in my blog, but if people of good intensions want to contact me, they can.

However, facebook misuses and publishes private information, and a lot of dumb people publish their private information. In this day and age, the political and social cowards can hide behind their monitor and cause untold damage to anyone they disagree with. This in un-American. What we really need is a “permanent” solution to these viscious pests. An IT ton-ton-macoute anyone?

Old Country Boy on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

America in a nutshell.
listens2glenn on April 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Thread winner!

Cleombrotus on April 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM

There are two ways of dealing with these left wing thugs.

1) subpoena Twitter for the records of who is submitting these bogus take downs, track them down and sue them into oblivion. (I think libel, slander and violation of free speech would work. Keep twitter out of it except for getting the records together)

2) keep twitter out of it, find these little twerps and take a baseball bat to their knees.

Option one is legal.
Option two is highly illegal but far more satisfying.

evilned on April 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

My children think I am really living in a cave. I have never used tweet, and don’t have a Facebook account. I finally just got a smartphone and can send texts. That’s about as far as I will go.

megthered on April 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

And until conservatives start acting on it in a manner other than turning the other cheek, it will continue to be worse and worse.

EvilCapitalist on April 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Dopey libs never, ever play fair! Especially when it comes to getting their collective brains beat in on any given subject day after day.

Anyone who has participated in a “Pluck Forum” has been going through this for years now. Having their comments and accounts deleted from this lib tactic. And their cohorts in the msm have played along with it, rather than trying to fix it.

De Oppresso Liber on April 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Twitter eats itself?
Apr 30, 2012 8:41 AM by Ed Morrissey

…can we get JugEars to eat itself?
The lefties do everything to suppress the other side every chance and by any means they can!
Free speech for me…but not for thee. I hate these people!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM

This is just the beginning.

Tomorrow we’ll see the “fight the power” types engaged in anarchistic and possibly violent acts while hiding their faces. ‘Cause they’re committed to the cause, man, but don’t let that mess up their lives of commitment ease…

ya2daup on April 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I always find it comical that liberals are concerned with rights only for those people that agree with them. Rather than simply ignore or refute, their course of action is to silence. How progressive! Shows how bankrupt their argument is.

search4truth on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Liberals think they win by silencing opposition.

Hey, it worked for Hitler and Saddam.

Bishop on April 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM

“my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

Very many of these people as being paid to do just that.

Ufdaubet on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

liberals think mom jeans is cool…the MFM says so

DHChron on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You know, the “liberal slag” sounds remarkably like the folks Stephen ran across in the Book of Acts: “And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people. Then arose certain of the synagogue…disputing with Stephen. And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake. Then they suborned men, which said, We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and against God. And they stirred up the people…” (6:8-12a). This culminated in Stephen’s death.

They had no reply, so they lied about him and killed him. The same devil influenced his people to crucify Jesus. Like Stephen, Jesus was “too conservative” for the liberal Jews!

Today’s liberals are motivated by the same spirit, and it’s NOT the Spirit of God. They will lie, smear, revile, and persecute anyone who disagrees with them. They have no defense, because their position is indefensible, so they resort to the only tactics they know: the devils’. Yes, it’s a spiritual battle, and they are accumulating quite a resume with which to stand before the Lord.

Gordy on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

“Block & Report Spam”

can’t two play this game? Where’s Treacher? Isn’t he the new Breitbert?

ramrants on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Twitter probably has a critical mass of SPAM reports (making no implications about Hormel products) go to something automated, that automatically suspends the account. Twitter just needs that critical mass of SPAM reports trigger a human being to look at the complaints, instead of auto-suspending the account and threatening the user.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hotair Photo:

University Medical School laboratory specimen jar collection of liberal/progressive and Obama voters cerebral tissue…

Thanks Hotair…it’s just what we suspected …

BigSven on April 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

evilned on April 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

There is nothing about it that is libel, slander, or a violation of free speech (twitter is private, not public). “Option1″ isn’t an option.

Dante on April 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

It’s also against Twitter’s terms of service to make death threats, (killZimmerman), and give out someone’s personal info, (Spike Lee, Roseanne), and Twitter. I was an early adopted, 2007, but I walked away a year ago, and was planning on going back, but now I wonder if I should bother.

di butler on April 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

“my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

Son, you don’t know what pain miserable is; Gaia help you if conservatives ever decide to respond en masse to this thuggery.

Bishop on April 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Bleed still doesn’t have or use twitter. Twitter is for twits

Bleed_thelizard on April 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The best way to expose a fool is to let him speak.

single stack on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

THIS.

Maddie on April 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Bleed
I agree who cares about what ppl are doing each minute of the day

angrymike on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You know that Twitter will shut down for us in November, right?

faraway on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I was kind of “meh” about Twitter. May create a more political Twitter account than my mostly apolitical Facebook page, once I upgrade my DumbPhone to a SmartPhone.

But again, I think the main problem with Twitter is that SPAM reports go to a script on a server that auto-suspends without any human interaction. Maybe Twitter will have to spend a little more moolah, change the script from auto-suspend-and-threaten to “Hey, we have SPAM reports on your account. It’s been forwarded to a human being, and if you aren’t SPAMming, you’re back online in x hours.”

Maybe accounts that have been subject to excessive, baseless SPAM reports can be set to have SPAM reports go to File 13.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Don’t do Twitter, wouldn’t know how to, life is good.

Akzed on April 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Easy. Twitter should just boot those who abuse the spam reporting system.

visions on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 AM

A few years ago, I would have said that’s an unfair assessment. After a few years of paying attention, I say it’s right on.

NukeRidingCowboy on April 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM

No wonder why Hannity loves twitter so much.

mike0993 on April 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM

The president has lists of the names of Romney’s donors they have collected from the public disclosure lists. Targeting them for liberal harassment, to their businesses, and their families.

The message, to his minions amongst the mouth breathing left..

All gloves are off.. they donate money to a non liberal, they are an enemy of the state, and all forms of retaliation are fair game.. get them fired by harassing their boss, harass their spouses and their employers, harass their children..

You vote republican, and are retired on SSD.. and they get your name…

Do I need to worry about a letter telling me, I need to adjust my thinking,.. or my claim might get dropped?

Obama is NOT a GOOD MAN, and Romney needs to remember that. He wasn’t kidding about a private army of brownshirts doing his will,.. Obama is teaching his followers there is no level they won’t sink to.. they bully, and censor silence and harass.. they do their best to shut down the political opposition by scaring away people from donating, from working for.. from even speaking in public..

You can’t even talk politics with a friend in public, and God help you if a liberal over hears your conversation and doesn’t like it.. I’ve had that happen, some big blustering blow hard screaming at me and a friend for daring to speak ill of Clinton,.. He was all talk, but he was as big as both of us, and threatened us both.. he was all talk, and a quick comment from my friend that he was calling the cops sent that rat scurrying for the sewer.. too bad, I wasn’t so broken down then,.. it would have ended badly.. for him.

I can talk to a regular democrat..

a liberal, no,.. they don’t debate, they lecture, scream at, name call and attempt to bully..

This president, has the instincts of a camp commandant.. and he isn’t ashamed of it at all..

mark81150 on April 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It’s the liberal concept of free speech:

I may not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll fight with my life to shut you up.

The Rogue Tomato on April 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The recipe for liberalism/leftism is:
Serious psychopathology + a heaping measure of stupidity. Garnish with total lack of self-insight and character.
Et voila.

justltl on April 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Mark81150@9:45
That makes me want to become a huge donor, if I had an extra grand I’d donate it in a minute.
I really hate that guy…………

angrymike on April 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Gordy on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Yups.

pambi on April 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This is an easy problem to fix, if the people running Twitter actually care: Announce new rules:

1: Spam blocking will go on as normal.
2: If someone gets spam-blocked, and complains, someone at Twitter will examine their account.
3: If it turns out the person is not actually sending out spam, then everyone who reported the account for spam, in the relevant time period (i.e. everyone who worked to get that person blocked) gets blocked on Twitter. Block times:
A: 1st offense: One day
B: Second offense: One week.
C: Third offense: Account terminated.

Exception:
If you received a “compressed link” (i.e. a link you have to click on to find out where it goes) from the person who was spam blocked, and that was the only thing you reported as spam, you receive no punishment.

Exception to the Exception:
If you received that compressed link in response to a message you sent to that specific individual (IOW if you send @joe a message, then @joe sends you a link), then you are only safe if the link actually IS spam. IOW, if you post to a hash tag, @joe sends you a link that you can’t understand unless you follow it, and you respond by marking @joe as a spammer, nothing bad will happen to you, even if you didn’t follow the link, and even if it wasn’t spam.

Why the exception? Because I always block and report as spam any unsolicited links I get from people I don’t know. :-)

My suggestion is that righties start spam blocking every leftie who admits participating in such activity, and keep on doing it until the people running Twitter decide they don’t want to let left-wing activists destroy their platform.

Greg Q on April 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Liberalism really is a mental disorder.

faraway on April 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So Twitter has became Huffpo.The Twitter staff are either lazy or they want nothing but the left viewpoints.I’ll spend my time here and MM’s site and get the real points.Not some leftist drivel from a place like Twitter.

docflash on April 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Who cares? Never encountered anything useful or thoughtful on Twitter. Stupidity is built into the entire concept.

AngusMc on April 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Must suck being a leftist piece of garbage, unable to just confidently state your world view and positions.

MNHawk on April 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Speaking of Rush, he’s launched an offensive against Media Matters.

DanaLynn on April 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You know that Twitter will shut down for us in November, right?

faraway on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I thought the same thing too. #FreeChrisLoesch was trending in 5th place in less than an hour world wide. I wonder if that scared the crap out of liberals.

meMC on April 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Liberals never play nice. They’re all bullies from what I’ve when they know they can’t be seen.
They decry bullying & in the next breath engage viciously in it.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM

FIFY!!

TugboatPhil on April 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Anyone politically active knows that this is a routine tactic of the left. I get numerous emails daily from Google that are marked spam. The only reason for this is they are from conservative organizations. They have been reported as spam by leftist activists. I also get quite a number of emails from left wing organizations. They never arrive marked as spam. Additionally, there are reports about Google filtering and ordering searches politically.

Viator on April 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

As Andrew Klavan would put it:

“Shut up!”, they explained.

Droopy on April 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Twitter will almost certainly have to suspend its use.

I would not bet on that. Does Twitter really care if conservative are silenced?

talkingpoints on April 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM

it’s not really Twitter, is it ? The pagans are good at what they do, whether it’s the welfare system, voting process, or capitalism. So it’s not really a flaw in Twitter.

williampeck1958 on April 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM

America’s left-wing divides its time equally between preaching intolerance and practicing it.

Twitter: Where Intelligence Goes To Die.

Crusty on April 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Twitter is worthless. They allow celebrities like Roseanne and Spike Lee to violate the clear TOS and keep their accounts open, flaunting as many rules as they so choose, but then they do this.

Twitchy is another fairly worthless site- they posted a bunch of tweets from people saying “Kill Zimmerman,” so I posted the comment that if an alien landed on earth, I could understand if they thought young black people were the angriest people on the planet…which got me banned immediately. Have no idea how that’s even offensive, but whatever- that was the last time I visited Twitchy.

Thank God you can comment here without fear of being banned over nothing.

TheBlueSite on April 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM

To each his or her own, but I filter the idiots. They are not there to debate, but to waste our time as they run through their short list of logical fallacies. Having been on the Left, I have no patience for their game.

ConservativeLA on April 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I guess the market will decide that a new company will replace Twitter soon.

faraway on April 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

America’s epitaph.

logis on April 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

There are only 3 allowable uses for twitter: organize flash robs, announce shipments of Air Jordans and threaten G. Zimmerman.

esnap on April 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I’ve had my account suspended twice now for spam. It always follows a deranged liberal disagreeing with me on a subject vehemently. The 1st time I was suspended it was Roland Martin who probably reported me. He didn’t care to be called a race monger due to his thoughts on Trayvon Martin and his twitter pic in a hoodie. He sent me two twitters and within 1 minute of him saying “be gone child” I was suspended.

I’m now on my second one now. It was suspended from 4 days ago. Each time the subject matter was Trayvon Martin. The funny thing is each time I was replying to a liberal. Yet somehow that is reported as spam.

Hopefully Twitter sees this trend of liberals reporting non-spam as spam and takes action against those who falsely reports.

Conservative4Ever on April 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM

These people are paid to shut down the opposition. We’ve seen some of those same people here at HA…

d1carter on April 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Conservatives suspect a coordinated campaign to report as spam users with whom liberal users disagree. Several users sent out tweets bragging about getting Mr. Loesch blocked, including one claiming “my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

My friends, this means…

we’re winning

in the arena of ideas.

Defenestratus on April 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

on a not-so loosely related note, the gay activist / anti-bullying czar (?) who bashed the Bible at the journalism conference – paganism works, codified in “Rules for Radicals”.

Who of those kids (or a typical Christian adult) could have won a debate with the guy ? 98% of average Christians would lose the debate because they are not ~”prepared to give an answer for the hope that we have …”

The guy turned the Bible on those kids heads, they had no way to push back (logistically or logically), and an unchurched audience ate it up.

williampeck1958 on April 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

This is common for most social media. For example, on YouTube, a video that shows blacks in a negative light; murdering, beating, raping, robbing, rioting (a huge number of 1992 riot videos are gone) or burglarizing are reported as “hate speech” in an attempt to shut down these videos.

Further, commentators who object to black historical revisionism (like portraying Hannibal as black, Cleopatra as Black, Aristotle as black, Alexander the Great as Black, Nefertiti as Black, Plato as Black, Imhotep I as black, Ramses II as black, Shakespeare as black, King Richard the Lionhearted as Black, The Hebrews as Black, the Greeks as Black, etc.) are routinely cited as Spam and reported to the website for scrubbing.

Here on HotAir, many times it has been noted that Liberals in general will not argue facts, but prefer to scream personal insults or avoid the subject. The Spam button allows inconvenient comments citing facts to be whisked away.

Bulletchaser on April 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I fit that bill.
To die for.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Yummmmmm….

And if you add a slice of garden fresh tomato, heaven!

Lily on April 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think it is funny that liberals are telling conservatives to get their own social media platform.

Liberals feel like they own twitter and don’t like viewpoints that differ from theirs.

This reminds me of the public school system. They infiltrate and take over the system, tell you if you don’t like it to start your own, and then when you do start your own (charter and private schools, vouchers, etc.) they attempt to shut the schools/vouchers down because not everyone has access to them and it isn’t fair to compete with the original school system that they told you to leave in the first place.

weaselyone on April 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

It’s always checkers with them. Never chess.

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Well, this sucks. How will I know how many strawberries @Ginafrom Oshkosh, a conservative from Wisconsin, put in her cereal this morning and what 18,354 or so others following her thought about it?

Borgcube on April 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Some people (including Loesch himself) are hinting that he might have been flagged for abuse, not spam. Totally understandable if he wrote some abusive tweets in response to attacks on his wife, but you can’t really say he’s being silenced by a vast, left-wing conspiracy if that’s what happened. Does Twitter have a stand-by-your-man exemption in their TOS? If Loesch broke the rules, he broke the rules. He silenced himself.

If twitter has a problem with liberals rigging spam reports to silence opposition, it’s weirdly specific, isn’t it? I mean, you don’t see Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity or anybody liberals actually think is important getting shut down. What might help is if somebody could find the tweets that may have been flagged.

RightOFLeft on April 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I still don’t understand why anyone uses that garbage service anyway.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

You notice in the attempt to get conservatives back into the loop and to find out why this is happening, there is never a suggestion that “progressives” be banned. Why does the Left hate the Constitution?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I don’t use it but obviously it’s a great tool. Mr. Treacher used it to neutralize the dog stories.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

From the minor post about the WHCD:

“Obama’s jokes are more in line with the Bush style—but replacing the preppie cadence with athlete patter. There’s a kind of trash-talking, locker-room jangle to his best lines. It’s easy to see that he likes poking fun at his adversaries, and does it naturally. It’s unclear whether he’s equally at home being poked fun at back.”

Yep, these folks prove daily they can handle the political back-and-forth (that they often instigate) with a sense of humor, the strength of their position, and superior arguments.

rogerb on April 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Simply let others suffer, complain & talk about Twitter. Akin to saying no to diabetes.

BHO Jonestown on April 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM