Twitter eats itself?

posted at 8:41 am on April 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I suppose it was just a matter of time before Twitter became completely unmanageable.  After all, a self-policing population only works when the population is mature enough to handle the responsibility.  Using the spam-reporting mechanism built into Twitter and its after-market applications, liberal activists are succeeding in tricking the Twitter system into suspending the accounts of conservatives — for instance, my friend Chris Loesch, husband of Breitbart editor Dana Loesch:

Conservative Chris Loesch, music producer and husband of radio host and CNN contributor Dana Loesch, had his Twitter account suspended on Sunday. He was apparently targeted by leftist users who utilized the “Block & Report Spam” function to trigger the social media account’s automatic spam algorithm. He was notified of his suspension via an email from Twitter claiming it was due to multiple unsolicited mentions to other users. “You will need to change your behavior to continue using Twitter,” the email admonished.

“I never threatened anyone and am careful about being concise with what I write especially in public,” Mr. Loesch told The Washington Times. “They were going to make me sign this note that said one more infraction and I would be permanently banned. I wasn’t going to do that so I wrote emails to some of their people.” …

Mr. Loesch believes the spam-reporting campaign was kicked off by comments he made in defense of his wife. “It was business as usual for her I suppose,” he said. “Veiled threats, rape and murder comments, the typical liberal misogynist slag. Being the chivalrous and testosterone filled being I am requires me to protect the woman I love and call out the haters for being the ‘anonymous internet tough guys’ they are…Needless to say they don’t like being called out and struck back by reporting me as a spammer or worse.”

Chris, like the rest of the Breitbart crew, actively engages his detractors on Twitter.  (I tend to ignore them on Twitter, but that’s mostly because life is too short, and I have a pretty good platform for my views at Hot Air.)  It turns out that detractors don’t like engagement … they just like to bully people.  Instead of responding to Chris’ arguments, they began organizing an effort to force Twitter into suspending him by reporting his Twitter stream as spam.

Here’s the problem.  There actually is a ton of spam on Twitter, usually triggered by key words picked up by autobot searches.  In the ideal model — and one that had been working fairly well until now — legitimate Twitter users would report the spam, and Twitter would suspend the accounts.  That keeps traffic moving smoothly (a performance level that Twitter occasionally fails to maintain anyway) and disincentivizes spammers, at least to some extent.  Now that the Left is abusing the spam mechanism, Twitter will almost certainly have to suspend its use, which means the only people who will win this game are the spammers, and we’ll have no way to deal with the flood of annoying marketing messages.

Gee, thanks, progressive activists!

And it’s not as if they’re hiding their abuse of the system, either:

Conservatives suspect a coordinated campaign to report as spam users with whom liberal users disagree. Several users sent out tweets bragging about getting Mr. Loesch blocked, including one claiming “my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

Twitchy has two articles on the subject in the last few hours, both of which collate some of the bragging done by progressive activists.  Be sure to read through both, but I’ll spoil the (non)surprise a bit.  At least a couple of these progressive activists are the same #StopRush members trying to force Rush Limbaugh off the air, for the same reason — because they can’t compete with him.  If they could compete with Chris and the other conservatives on Twitter, they wouldn’t have to abuse the spam mechanism on Twitter to shut them up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I thought about signing up for Twitter, but it sounds like another time waster.

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Further, commentators who object to black historical revisionism (like portraying Hannibal as black, Cleopatra as Black, Aristotle as black, Alexander the Great as Black, Nefertiti as Black, Plato as Black, Imhotep I as black, Ramses II as black, Shakespeare as black, King Richard the Lionhearted as Black, The Hebrews as Black, the Greeks as Black, etc.) are routinely cited as Spam and reported to the website for scrubbing.

Here on HotAir, many times it has been noted that Liberals in general will not argue facts, but prefer to scream personal insults or avoid the subject. The Spam button allows inconvenient comments citing facts to be whisked away.

Bulletchaser on April 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

and when you watch the Avengers movie this weekend, please know that Samuel L. Jackson is playing the role of the original WHITE nick fury from the comics.

GhoulAid on April 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

“my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

R the children learning?

Lefties are the dumbest people on Earth.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Well, I just did my bit in the spam/ban wars in reporting some random lefty. Probably won’t mean anything, but what the hey.

totherightofthem on April 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I poo poo’d twitter until I learned how to use it to my benefit. Now I don’t go a day without checking in.

Zanne on April 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Twitter and Facebook will harm you, sooner or later.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Two can play that game. If they start getting inundated with bogus spam reports of ‘popular’ libs, maybe Twitter will start enforcing the rules.

tdpwells on April 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Chuckles “the LGF clown” Johnson takes great pleasure in trying to get folks suspended on Twitter.

He even brags about it.

JPeterman on April 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Yes, the game goes like this:

I can’t outsmart or outwit you, and my facts are wrong, so rather than change my views I will try to censor your ability to speak the truth.

I believe it was this type of oppression that caused this country to be founded in the first place. Funny how libs never see the irony in this.

goflyers on April 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

These moron’s need to get a job. Oh wait…. liberals don’t do that, they “occupy”. Progressive liberalism is a cancer that is eating away our country. Obamao has already destroyed our economy, these other idiots won’t be happy until we have completely gone down the tubes.

ultracon on April 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Because, you know, shut up!

If they don’t have a counter argument, you just shut the opposition up.

crosspatch on April 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Liberals shout people down. Their ends justify their means.

Paul-Cincy on April 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I can’t imagine two bigger wastes of my time than TW and FB.

8thAirForce on April 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Where is it written Twitter can’t filter tweets and/or accts. based on ANY criteria THEY decide?

Neox99 on April 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

GhoulAid on April 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Nick Fury is black in Marvel’s Ultimate universe and was based on Jackson. The recent Marvel films are based more on the Ultimate universe.

Catoclysmos on April 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Maybe we should report Obama, Pelosi, and all of them for spam on Twitter.

cebj25 on April 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I am mentally mature and have a high regard to my self esteem that I don’t need to pander strokes from strangers on Twitter.

I know I’m great…even greater than Rex Obama. Igitur I don’t lower myself to the Twitter itch. Twitter is a disease of the ego.

timberline on April 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I fit that bill.
You gotta crisp up the Spam slices before you marry them with the fried egg & cheese.
And of course, it must me on lightly toasted bread (sourdough is choice) that’s been lightly buttered with genuine Amish-made butter.
To die for.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Yummmmmm….

And if you add a slice of garden fresh tomato, heaven!

Lily on April 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You got to add some lettuce and mayo, sprinkle with salt and pepper and, as the coupe-de-sammich, two slices of Vlasic dill pickle.

timberline on April 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Liberal code for “we’re losing the argument” up until now has been to call you “raaaaacisssst!” Now they’ve added falsely accusing you of twitspam. It’s amazing the level of hate, suppression and oppression emanating from the side that claims caring and civility.

The twit who claimed “my life job to make conservatives lives miserable,” obviously already is miserable as “it” apparently has absolutely nothing useful, positive or productive to do with “its” life than to remain on the degenerate level of attacking and dragging down others.

To these leftistproglibturds:

free speech = parroting only what they say
diversity = being only like them
diversity of thought = thinking only what they think
compromise = agreeing to only what they want

stukinIL4now on April 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Twitter — Facebook — MySpace — Etc., all self-serving ‘social networking’ garbage that makes it possible for misanthropic infantile mental midgets to feel like they’re somewhat relevant and actually part of the human rat race by giving the asinine troglodyte homunculi a way to dole out virtual purple nurple titty-twisters on the interwebs via their twitter twaddle where the wisdom vomitus of the ages is put forth in hashtag form.

FlatFoot on April 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM

“Option1″ isn’t an option.

Dante on April 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Option Two, however, is still on the table…and quite viable.

Solaratov on April 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

They ought to have a separate Twitter for lefty activists… called Nit-Twitter.

Marxism is for dummies on April 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I agree who cares about what ppl are doing each minute of the day

angrymike on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Last week I was able to immediately call Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Brad Woodhouse out on lies they’re spreading in the media. Woodhouse responded, DWS didn’t.

I’m also able to engage politicians, members of the media and Hollywood elites within minutes about comments they’ve made.

Tell me what other tool the public, especially conservatives, have had that enables us to level the playing field in such a way?

Letters to the editor of our local liberal fishwrap?

I won’t even get into the missing children, elderly and pets that have been found because of Twitter.

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

FlatFoot on April 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, you’re right. It makes one so much more enlightened to make anonymous comments on a blog about something they obviously know nothing about, than it is to actually get involved in trying to change things.

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

How did we live before these idiotic social network gimmicks? Just dump it already.

leftnomore on April 30, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Lefties are the dumbest people on Earth.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

And, unfortunately, dumb seem to be winning… According to Darwin we will be extinct soon…

riddick on April 30, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The leftist tactics only work if we allow them to, if we throw up our hands and quit.

We not only got Chris restored, but many lesser lights in the conservative Twitter line-up have been banned and restored, too. We are learning how to fight back.

The leftists can’t take it when we fight back. They aren’t used to it. They are all smoke and mirrors, full of sound and fury signifying nothing. They have nothing to back up their bluster.

Call them out. Every. Single. Time.

Adjoran on April 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

One of the main reasons the progressive left is fighting so hard to shut those on the right up on Twitter is because we’ve actually leveled the playing field, some think we’re actually winning the fight, and it scares the left to death because they’ve never been in this position before.

But I guess those who are sneering about the use of Twitter would prefer those on the right just concede Twitter and Facebook to the left, like we did the arts, education, entertainment and journalism.

That’s worked out so well for the country, hasn’t it?

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I get involved and actually change things in real life, dear.

Plus, I know plenty about Twitter twaddle all thanks to HotGas, Breitbart, Twitchy, etc. But see, I’m all about face-to-face in real time when it comes to making an actual difference in this world. Heck, I can actually see the changes take place right before my eyes and whatever I do — or don’t do when maybe I should — I am personally held accountable because I am not anonymous. I’m actually present and accounted for in reality. No fake name(s), no fake bio(s), no lie(s), no deceit(s), no childish asinine gaming of some virtual reality system(s).

Your Twitter twaddle global slap-fights do nothing but perpetuate the disdain people have for each other. Heck, have at it though. It’s a free country, here. But if you’d get off your keester and be pro-active and volunteer your time in actual reality where you are face-to-face with real people instead of volunteering your time typing messages to a world of trolls, well, you’d accomplish much more and it would actually accomplish something positive and meaningful for those less fortunate in reality.

Wouldn’t you agree?

FlatFoot on April 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wouldn’t you agree?

FlatFoot on April 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Yes, I agree I probably could accomplish more if I’d get off my “keester and be pro-active and volunteer my time in actual reality where you are face-to-face with real people”.

But golly gee, my body just doesn’t seem to want to cooperate with me, after that stroke I had 2 yrs ago.

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Catoclysmos on April 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Nury Fury was white for 40 years before he was hijacked..

Wagthatdog on April 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Keyboard commandos who when they don’t agree with an action of a person or group of people, judge them by what they perceive them to be and think they know better how people should run their lives than the individual themselves do.

Sounds so liberal, doesn’t it?

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

FlatFoot on April 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

btw, how many people have you been able to inform of the government’s role in the murder of Brian Terry and Jamie Zapata lately?

Me? Over 400 on Facebook and with Twitter twaddle who had either never heard of it, or, didn’t realize that it was authorized by their own government.

But I’ll just sit here on “my keester”, while the real patriots like you do all the work.

Flora Duh on April 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Lefties are the dumbest people on Earth.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Which may explain why they sit around all day, doing things like this, mooching off the hard work of others. Liberals are willing to do anything to avoid hard work and personal responsibility.

BruthaMan on April 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I don’t think that the abuse or misuse of Twitter and Facebook by some people entirely justifies bashing social media.

They’re not necessarily time wasters. It depends on how you choose to use the platforms.

You can fritter away time by playing games or arguing with people on Facebook or Twitter, true, but they can also be used to keep in touch with coworkers or family, or keep up with the newest headlines, too.

TigerPaw on April 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

On YouTube, “spam” usually means “comment I disagree with”.

Tzetzes on April 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

=============================================================

Well they are Jack*ss’s,er,the Liberals!

However,the Twits in the DNC,who Tweet,are a goldmine,of
idiot comments to mine,tho!!

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

FYI: Adjoran

Joe Schueller ‏ @schuellerj

@jtLOL: I need some help! Please spread the word: My conservo blog account @reasonpundit has been suspended. #StopTwitterCensorship

totherightofthem on April 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Nothing ever changes

No different from the pre WWII Germany, when those who were not politically correct were shouted down by the brown shirted followers of Hitler

Shout them down. A rock through a window. Burn the books.

Same humanity, new medium. It was not handled well in the last century, and it is not handled well now, because we have the same players: those in high places who do not wish to get involved, and those in high places who want it to continue, with a supporting cast of people who want to pretend nothing is happening

Give up the morality of the Bible and the State will write a new morality based on the needs of the State

entagor on April 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Neox99 on April 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Under the Laws of The United States, when you hold yourself out as a common carrier, as a trucking company, as a carrier of electronic signals, and in the same vein as a small southern lunch counter, you must serve all equally and at published tariffs. Your rules must be published, and you must abide by them.

Twitter, facebook, verizon, Cox, etc are all common carriers and are regulated by appropriate government agencies. If Twitter filters tweets, they must publish their criteria, and if someone detects differences in criteria based on who the user is, they are subject to tort.

Old Country Boy on April 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

It sounds as if liberals have turned the Twitter universe into The Lord of the Flies.

BuckeyeSam on April 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Yeah, I had some fun last night tweeting and retweeting to my heart’s content. Finally had to go to bed.

Good times.

Bob's Kid on April 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

“Liberal Democrats Pass Anti-Bullying Legislation, Liberals Hardest Hit”… news @ 11.

gravityman on April 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It turns out that detractors don’t like engagement … they just like to bully people. Instead of responding to Chris’ arguments, they began organizing an effort to force Twitter into suspending him by reporting his Twitter stream as spam.

Sorta like our trolls here on HotGas…

Who is John Galt on April 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Twitter has not became completely unmanageable. It is choosing not to manage itself.

They know who is doing this. Every day those accounts are not suspended is a day Twitter tacitly supports the suppression of right wing speech.

David Blue on April 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I don’t call ‘em Pornbots, I call them Twitter Bots or Twots.

crosspatch on April 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Ahh the tolerant left … “Shut Up!” they explained.

I think I have tweeted about six or seven tweets since I joined a year or two ago. Even though I realize that Twitter is the current political chatter battle ground … I just don’t see the attraction.

I much prefer Blogs and comments.

PoliTech on April 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I just don’t see the attraction.

I much prefer Blogs and comments.

PoliTech on April 30, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Twitter is 99% noise but I go there for the 1%.

crosspatch on April 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Today’s liberals are motivated by the same spirit, and it’s NOT the Spirit of God. They will lie, smear, revile, and persecute anyone who disagrees with them. They have no defense, because their position is indefensible, so they resort to the only tactics they know: the devils’. Yes, it’s a spiritual battle, and they are accumulating quite a resume with which to stand before the Lord.

Gordy on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Awesome. Thank you for quoting Acts and helping me on my spiritual journey, “Forward”.

Seriously. This crap has been going on for thousands of years, and I fear the fix will be the same as it has been for thousands of years.

“I’m a big fan of peaceful solutions. Ain’t nothin’ as peaceful as a dead troublemaker”.

Of course, the definition of “troublemaker”…well…is in the eye of the beholder.

Question: Which protests are more violent, Left or Right? I.E. OWS or Tea Party?

Who is John Galt on April 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

– John Adams

Chaz706 on April 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM

“my life job to make conservatives lives miserable.”

Another OCCUPY cockroach heard from.

RalphyBoy on April 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I don’t do Twitter or Facebook, they’re just more time sinks. However, if you don’t like how they manage their sites, then be enterprising and start your own or find something similar already in existence and get it going. That’s the beauty of the Internet.

Twitter, facebook, verizon, Cox, etc are all common carriers

Verizon and Cox may be carriers, they own and manage actual fiber, but Twitter and Facebook are not and can make their own rules like any other site.

Common Sense on May 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM

LOESCH

Metro on May 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM

DELOESCHIOUS

Metro on May 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM

This whole incident exposes a HUGE DESIGN FLAW in the model for all “social media” sites.

The bottom line is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to control communication on the Internet from a central site, which is precisely what Facebook, Twitter, et. al. try to do.

It is also IMPOSSIBLE for these sites to maintain security with their present business model. When they tolerate anonymous, pseudonym, and/or false registrations of any kind, they have already lost the security battle and compromised both themselves and their users.

For these reasons, I have been…and will remain TOTALLY UNINTERESTED in “social media” for myself and my businesses. If I want a web site in order to communicate with others for any reason, it is simple enough to create my own web site. It is also relatively easy and surprisingly inexpensive to do this if the site is not used for e-commerce. Unlike the social media, I always provide real webmaster contact information on both our URL registration and our web pages: so the users of these web sites will positively know where the information comes from.

I do not need a “nanny” to make judgements about the content of my communications: especially a “social media” nanny who can be so easily fooled or enlisted by leftist hacks…or who actually IS a leftist hack.

landlines on May 1, 2012 at 3:02 AM