Quotes of the day

posted at 10:39 pm on April 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

“A serving SEAL Team member said: ‘Obama wasn’t in the field, at risk, carrying a gun. As president, at every turn he should be thanking the guys who put their lives on the line to do this. He does so in his official speeches because he speechwriters are smart.

“‘But the more he tries to take the credit for it, the more the ground operators are saying, ‘Come on, man!’ It really didn’t matter who was president. At the end of the day, they were going to go.’…

“Brandon Webb, a former SEAL who spent 13 years on active duty and served in Iraq and Afghanistan, said: ‘Bush should get partial credit for putting the system in place.’…

“‘My friends that work in Special Operations Command (SOCOM) that have been on video teleconferences with Obama on these kill or capture situations say that Obama has no issue whatsoever with making decisions and typically it’s kill. He’s hitting the kill button every time. I have a lot of respect for him for that.’”

***

“The Obama campaign’s bin Laden ad, which has stirred a fierce debate, looks to some like a hit below the belt, using a questionable premise to make a political argument that Democrats can be just as tough in dealing with the nation’s enemies as Republicans…

“The Obama campaign’s grounds for doing so are one Romney quote that has nothing to do with how he would have handled the bin Laden operation, and another that appears to show Romney had a policy position that would have prevented him from approving the strike, but that crumbles under further inspection of its context…

“Edelman, a top Pentagon official during the presidency of George W. Bush, added a jab at Clinton for not catching or killing bin Laden during his presidency, despite the opportunity.

“‘Interesting choice of messenger since Clinton declined to ‘make the tough choice’ when he had the chance,’ Edelman said.”

***

“While contemplating how the killing of bin Laden reflects on the president, consider the way he emphasized his own role in the hazardous mission accomplished by SEAL Team 6:

“‘I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority . . . even as I continued our broader effort. . . . Then, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community I was briefed . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . And finally last week I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . .’

“The man from whom President Obama has sought incessantly to distance himself, George W. Bush, also had occasion during his presidency to announce to the nation a triumph of intelligence: the capture of Saddam Hussein. He called that success ‘a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq.’ He attributed it to “the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the dictator’s footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers. . . . Their work continues, and so do the risks.’…

“He did mention himself at the end: ‘Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate them.’”

***

“That summer, Gillespie turned the Republican National Convention into a martial victory parade. Speaker after speaker bragged that Bush had defeated, deposed, and captured Saddam—and that Kerry couldn’t be trusted to make such tough calls. ‘We have captured or killed hundreds of al-Qaida,’ Vice President Dick Cheney crowed. ‘In Iraq, we dealt with a gathering threat and removed the regime of Saddam Hussein. … Tonight he sits in jail.” Cheney went on: ‘Time and again, Sen. Kerry has made the wrong call on national security. … America needs and America has a president we can count on to get it right.’

“Introducing Bush at the convention, New York Gov. George Pataki reminded voters of the hole in which Saddam had been found: ‘President Bush understands we can’t just wait for the next attack. We have to go after them, in their training camps, in their hiding places, in their spider holes.’ The convention’s keynoter, Sen. Zell Miller, D-Ga., used Saddam’s capture to smear Kerry: ‘As a war protester, Kerry blamed our military. As a senator, he voted to weaken our military. … President Bush is committed to providing the kind of forces it takes to root out terrorists, no matter what spider hole they may hide in.’

“McCain, the main speaker on the convention’s opening night, hailed Bush’s courage: ‘He ordered American forces to Afghanistan and took the fight to our enemies, and away from our shores, seriously injuring al-Qaida and destroying the regime that gave them safe haven. … President Bush made the difficult decision to liberate Iraq. … We need a leader with the experience to make the tough decisions and the resolve to stick with them.’ Romney, in his speech, argued that Kerry lacked this toughness: ‘I don’t believe Sen. Kerry is the leader our country needs. … He’s campaigned against the war all year, but says he’d vote yes today. I don’t want presidential leadership that comes in 57 varieties.’ And Bush, in his acceptance address, described the loneliness of making the call to take down Saddam: ‘I faced the kind of decision that comes only to the Oval Office.’”

***

“It’s true that by explicitly bringing Romney into the ad, the Obama campaign veers from the subtle to the unnecessarily heavy-handed. Yes, Romney said the things Obama says he said in the ad, like ‘It’s not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.’

“Here, however, is the issue. Since at least 1968, Democrats have traditionally been more circumspect than their Republican foes in presidential politics. The lesson of the Clinton years and of Obama’s win of both the nomination and the general election in 2008 is that Democrats need to be as tough as JFK was (tough was a favorite Kennedy term). Is the bin Laden ad fair to Romney? No, not really. But politics is not for the faint of heart…

“The way to put oneself in a position to take the harder, more honorable political path is to argue for one’s virtues in a vigorous way. That’s what Obama has done, and is doing. There’ll be more punches coming.”

***

“In this 2007 interview from National Public Radio’s ‘Diane Rehm Show’ then Senator Joe Biden attacked candidate Obama’s tough talk on Pakistan as ‘naïve.’”

***

“‘I say any president, Jimmy Carter, anybody, any president would have, obviously, under those circumstances, done the same thing. And to now take credit for something that any president would do is indicative of take over campaign we’re under — we’re — we’re seeing…So all I can say is that this is going to be a very rough campaign,’ McCain told Fox News in an interview set to air Monday night. ‘And I’ve had the great honor of serving in the company of heroes. And, you know the thing about heroes, they don’t brag.’”

***

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is a good commentary on the media (and democrat voters).

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Bazil9
……;-)

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hello Arnold
how’s it hanging?………

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM

To the right? lol

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Uncommon..wish you were here.
Saw the rest last night..good job. Your a keeper.
Madness brother. :)

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Well I would hope so………

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Hello Arnold
how’s it hanging?………

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM

To the right? lol

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Fine, how you guys? How’s mom n ems?
As far as hanging—them Florida Anacondas are jealous.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Bazil9
I told you that idiot wouldn’t stop, until everyone went to bed that is….. uncommon gave it all he had…………

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM

As far as hanging—them Florida Anacondas are jealous.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Haha…enough said. Except S Am and Africa got the Ana’s really going on. ;)

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Arnold
You funny, it would be kinda hard to walk……..;)

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Tune

but Clapton’s guitar was not front and center in this one.

galtani on May 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM

democrat voters are hilarious.

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM

We should have just ignored him..but his personal insults pushed buttons. We fell into the trap.

I guess uncommon is tired..troll warrior. He did good. More patience then I have.

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Haha…enough said. Except S Am and Africa got the Ana’s really going on. ;)

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Maybe I got them mixed up with the Boa constrictor. :)

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I really miss Bmore’s wit, “Hurry home Bmore”………..

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Haha…enough said. Except S Am and Africa got the Ana’s really going on. ;)

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I think it was NatGO the other day that showed south FL overrun with them (constrictors). (Everglades)

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

My tribute to Arnold...

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Maybe I got them mixed up with the Boa constrictor. :)

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

That was on TV the other day, wasn’t it? NatGO, or something?

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Not native here..people threw “exotic illegal pets” in there..big prob now. Where is lib regs when you need’m? :)

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Skimmed back over pages one and two. I love just how intellectually bankrupt libs are.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I don’t know Baz, the Everglades are supposedly loaded with Ana’s from what I read…….
With that I must say goodnight, it was a long Monday and I am tired ………….good night all and happy Tuesday …….;-)

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM

That was on TV the other day, wasn’t it? NatGO, or something?

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM

FL is experiencing a very difficult time with them. Wiping out native species and difficult to eradicate. You would think as big as they are, they could be easily located but apparently not.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM

angrymike on May 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM
They are loaded with everything people dumped..not natural..we have a problem. It is effecting things.

GN, my main dude. Have a good Tues.

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Obama bin Biden is dead.

Let us give thanks.

minnesoter on May 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Yeah, they said 80-90% reduction of some native species.

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

That’s what I hear. Makes you not want to go for a walk in the woods.

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM

True..some crazy sh$t in there. People dumped exotic illegal “pets” out there…they have taken over. They can snuff out a Fl gator..no prob. Sad. Effing up the eco system. Do I sound liberal? Come hug me DBear..

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Boca Grande is overrun with non-native iguanas. The liberals don’t want them killed.

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Obama bin Biden is dead.

Let us give thanks.

minnesoter on May 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

W-w-w-wait a second. This awesome gem is from the guy who comes into QOTD to piss over everyone because they’re not sophisticated and talking politics, so it’s off to PJMedia where they’re more serious?

John the Libertarian on May 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM

CA has a problem albeit not big, with feral non-native pigs. Rather than encourage their killing, you need pig tags and all the other hoopla.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM

The Fl Keys has them everywhere too. Same deal.

Goodnight HA peeps. Bazil is gonna catch some ZZZZZ.

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

‘nite bazil.

I gotta go, too.

‘nite arnold.

jaime on May 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Goodnight HA peeps. Bazil is gonna catch some ZZZZZ.

bazil9 on May 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Night bazil. See you manana.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Sour grapes.

Uppereastside on April 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM

…You’re sh!tt!ing sour grapes?…not turds like everybody else? OMG!…You’re right! Look what you dropped!…[ *Upyerassideways looks below… and between legs*]

What a steaming pile of spiteful partisan cherrypicking shite.

But that’s your job: to oppose/sh*t upon every single word out of the enemy’s/president’s mouth.

Dave Rywall on April 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM

B+ for Effort!

Del Dolemonte on April 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

…but!..an A+ for you! (golly…how do you do that?!)

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 2:28 AM

…..you can blow them up with civilians from the sky or blow their heads off in their bedrooms…… just don’t pour water on their faces.

Baxter Greene on May 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM

…lol…you have been absent a while…missed you!
.(sorry…got home late…catching up as usual on threads I missed)

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Who said, “I…me…my…I…me..I..I..my..my…me…I”??

Who said the same thing last month?

Who says it every press conference, every speech, every interview???

Give up???

I know, it’s a very tough question.

I’ll give a hint … his middle name is Hussein.

fred5678 on May 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM

i sure hope this football spike backfires big time….

he can celebrate the victory but he didn’t have to make it a political statement by bashing Mitt with it…

I I I I

all about the O

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM

once again the top quote, we have to get the real news from across the pond….SHAMEFUL

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I sure do miss W

ONE CLASS ACT

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM

That’s Senator feral non-native pig to you!

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Happy May…errr Labor day.

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM

mornin’ KJ

great piece :)

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Thank you!

kingsjester on May 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Well put. PBHO did the right thing in taking the SOB out. That’s fine, but to constantly hog the glory and pretend that anyone in his position would not have allowed the op to proceed is disgraceful. It is also completely in keeping with his character.

MJBrutus on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

MJBrutus on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

and the lsm defending his actions

bleh

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Warriors don’t wear mom jeans and throw like a girl. Healthy minds won’t be persuaded.

Cleombrotus on May 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It is also completely in keeping with his lack of character.
MJBrutus on May 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Cleombrotus on May 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

hypocrites
cheap shot against mitt good
cheap shot against jimmah bad

cmsinaz on May 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM

No.Effing.Way. Unreal.

Thanks for the link, I can’t watch MSNBC (I’m allergic to stupidity) but that was worth the exposure — I never would have believed they’d have the audacity to try to change the meme to go after Romney’s “cheap shot” at Carter if I hadn’t read it myself.

Dark Star on May 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I’ll sleep so much better each night knowing that dear leader’s bony finger is on the ‘kill button’. Only problem is the feds are starting to fly those drones over our part of the world. Does this mean that we’ll be getting a kill button, too?

Kissmygrits on May 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Does this mean that we’ll be getting a kill button, too?

Kissmygrits on May 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Not at all.

We’ll be looking at (very briefly) the incoming business end of a Hellfire.

coldwarrior on May 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Obama bin Biden is dead.

Let us give thanks.

minnesoter on May 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

The entire thread to yourself, and this is all you came up with? Remarkable./

Bmore on May 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Obama is being pretty disrespectful to Clinton since Clinton didn’t have the stones to take OBL out BEFORE 9/11.

Wagthatdog on May 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM