Obama’s bin Laden ad “despicable,” says … Arianna Huffington

posted at 2:41 pm on April 30, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

And she’s exactly correct. On CBS This Morning, progressive activist Arianna Huffington slammed the Obama re-election campaign for questioning whether Mitt Romney would have made the call to take out Osama bin Laden, and equated it with Hillary Clinton’s “3 AM call” ad in 2008:

“I don’t think there should be an ad about that,” Huffington said Monday on “CBS This Morning.” “I think it’s one thing to celebrate the fact that they did such a great job (with television specials). All that is perfectly legitimate. But to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.”

She added, “It’s the same thing Hillary Clinton did with the 3 a.m. call. ‘You’re not ready to be commander-in-chief.’ It’s also what makes politicians and political leaders act irrationally when it comes to matters of war because they’re so afraid to be called wimps, that they make decisions, which are incredible destructive for the country. I’m sure the president would not have escalated in Afghanistan if he was not as concerned, as Democrats are, that Republicans are going to use not escalating against him in a campaign.”

Panelist Gayle King challenged Huffington over whether Obama is allowed to tout his accomplishments, but Huffington replied that Obama and his team did something very different in this ad:

“So in a campaign, aren’t you supposed to tout your accomplishments of what you’ve done,” Gayle King asked.

Huffington replied, “That’s not just what the ad does. What the ad does is questions. … (The ad) quotes a snippet from Romney and uses that to imply that Romney would not has been as decisive. There’s no way to know whether Romney would have been as decisive. To actually speculate that he wouldn’t be is, to me, not the way to run a campaign, on either side.”

Exactly correct. Obama would be on firm ground to highlight that victory in the war on terror, as he does in his tedious “Forward” campaign video. Implying that Romney would have let Osama bin Laden go under those circumstances is, as Huffington says, despicable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ohhh…Obama‘s bin Laden[...], not Osama Bin Laden.

My bad. What a rare mistake.

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2012 at 2:49

Yeah but I am sure it hardly ever happens, so whats this about Barack Osama?? Being killed by Obama bin Laden ?? I mean er… aw nutz!

cableguy615 on April 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Sounds to me like there might be more than a few who will remain veeerrrrrry quiet about who they pull the lever for in November. Might become the uncool thing to do.

BettyRuth on April 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM

The only one in the history of the USA to choke when it came time to pull the trigger was Bill Clinton. I was there. Too busy bombing asperin factories I guess….

mouell on April 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM

BL@KBIRD on April 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Wow. I don’t know a lot about the cult other than the sex as a sacrament thing, the Rolls-Royces and the plan to poison the salad bars and water supply in order to gain control of the town, but it sounds like it was something straight out of a movie.

Resist We Much on April 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Everything the guy does is despicable to me. His policies, his hypocrisy, his arrogance, his narcissism, his lies, his desperation, his class warfare, blaming everyone but himself for everything…I can’t think of a single redeeming quality except that maybe he’s a good dad/husband. I don’t even know that for sure. And really, how much did he have to do with putting down Bin Laden? After all the military and intelligence people put it all together he gave the go ahead and now he’s a hero? That’s despicable too!

scalleywag on April 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

So another liberal endorses Romney. So what?

Expected.

DannoJyd on April 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

First Jimmy Carter’s comments and now Arrianna Huffington.

These two are the hard left liking on Mitt Romney, Mitt may be worse than we Conservatives thought.

RJL on April 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Mitt may be worse than we Conservatives thought.

RJL on April 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Speak for yourself, RJL. I ALREADY KNOW how much of a liberal Sketchy is, and I have yet to meet ANY Mittens supporter able to disprove the many links I’ve shared here.

Discover it for yourself. Google Governor Romney +

Planned Parenthood
Judicial selections
Donations abortion clinics
Individual Mandate
Healthcare

and ANY issues you deem relevant.

DannoJyd on April 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

DannoJyd on April 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

MassResistance is paging DannoJyd…Paging DannoJyd…

Buy Danish on April 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

MassResistance is paging DannoJyd…Paging DannoJyd…

Buy Danish on April 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Excuse me, but is there ANY relevance to your post, or did you feel the need to ignore my advice and babble on instead?

Exposing yourself as a blatherskite seems a bit foolish to me, but that is just my opinion.

DannoJyd on April 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM

scalleywag on April 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You need help with this much hate built up inside you.

Uppereastside on April 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Just saw this clip from Ari.. Oh Ariiii. Nice to see what that AOL money has done to you. Then again, cnbc right wing hack Larry Kudlow did call you out as a hypocrite.

Uppereastside on April 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

scalleywag on April 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I agree 100%. He’s despicable but a Leftists dream. Although, even some of the devout are nervous about this election and, like Ariana, want to distance themselves a little from him.

Gladtobehere on April 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Looks like the Romney supporters are trying to mobilixe Indiana:

DICK LUGAR AND HIS WASHINGTON ESTABLISHMENT
ALLIES MOBILIZE DEMOCRATS IN GOP PRIMARY

Thank you for the heads up, Michelle. Maybe I’ll finally get a chance to meet you in person.

DannoJyd on May 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM

General George Barracks McClelland Obama.

Playing it safe watching a monitor with other soldier’s military lives on the line and hiding out in DC in a deep concrete bunker that was dedicated to panty waist Civil War Terrorist champion, General George McClelland.

Break out the BHO plaque for another re-dedication of the underground bunker in DC under the WH, also known now as the McClelland-Obama panty waist bunker for pacifists and leftists by executive order.

Stefan.

stefanslaw on May 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM

So another liberal endorses Romney. So what?

Expected.

DannoJyd on April 30, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I hope that you’re not somehow assuming the likes of Huffington will actually vote for anyone without a D next to their name. Talk is cheap, but they will all vote D when all is said and done.

riddick on May 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The best part of the entire segment was how Charlie Rose and Oprah’s girlfriend reacted. They were stunned that another leftist would dare to criticize Obama so harshly.

Colony14 on May 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM