Elizabeth Warren camp: It’s kind of sexist for Scott Brown to ask if she’s lying about being Native American

posted at 7:23 pm on April 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

If the presidential election can come down to whether it’s more offensive to eat dogs or put one in a kennel on top of your car, I guess it’s fair for a Senate election to come down to whether Elizabeth Warren is 1/10,000th Cherokee.

The newest front in the “war on women,” apparently: Calling a female pol out on her self-serving B.S.

Despite claiming she never used her Native American heritage when applying for a job, Elizabeth Warren’s campaign admitted last night the Democrat listed her minority status in professional directories for years when she taught at the University of Texas and the University of Pennsylvania…

The Herald reported Friday that embattled Harvard Law School officials touted Warren’s Native American heritage — she reportedly has ancestors from the Cherokee and Delaware tribes — as proof of the faculty’s diversity…

Mindy Myers, Warren’s campaign manager, had this to say today:

“If Scott Brown has questions about Elizabeth Warren’s well-known qualifications — from her high marks as a teacher to her nationally recognized work on bankruptcy and the pressures on middle class families – he ought to ask them directly instead of hiding behind the nasty insinuations of his campaign and trying to score political points. Once again, the qualifications and ability of a woman are being called into question by Scott Brown who did the same thing with the Supreme Court nomination of Elena Kagan. It’s outrageous.”

It’s not so much a story about Warren’s heritage, in other words, as whether she lied about it in order to boost her appeal to Harvard as a solution to their diversity problem. According to her campaign, Charles Fried helped recruit her to the school and swears that her ancestry played no part, by which I assume he means that Warren didn’t bring it up in interviews, etc. Fair enough, but as the Herald notes, she was listed as a minority professor in the Association of American Law Schools’ annual directory from 1986 to 1995. She joined Harvard Law as a visiting professor in 1992 and became a full-time prof there in 1995, which means she was still being listed as a minority for a few years while she was there. Did whoever hired her know about that? Via Ace, David Bernstein at the Volokh Conspiracy finds another curiosity:

The old AALS Directory of Faculty guides are online (through academic libraries) at Hein Online. The directories starting listing minority faculty in an appendix in 1986. There’s Elizabeth Warren, listed as a professor at Texas. I spot-checked three additional directories from when she was a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, including 1995-96, the year Harvard offered her a position. Elizabeth Warren, Elizabeth Warren, Elizabeth Warren.

So, we know one thing with almost 100% certainty: Elizabeth Warren identified herself as a minority law professor. We know something else with 90%+ certainty: (at least some) folks at Harvard were almost certainly aware that she identified as a minority law professor, though they may not have known which ethnic group she claimed to be belong to, and it may not have played any role in her hiring.

But it gets even more interesting: once Warren joined the Harvard faculty, she dropped off the list of minority law faculty. Now that’s passing strange. When the AALS directory form came around before Warren arrived at Harvard, she was proud enough of her Native American ancestry to ask that she be listed among the minority law professors. (Or, in the unlikely even that she just allowed law school administrators to fill out the forms for her without reviewing them, they were aware that she claimed such ancestry, and she didn’t object when she was listed.) Once she arrived at Harvard, however, she no longer chose to be listed as a minority law professor.

Verrrrrry curious. I’m not hung up on the fact that she apparently can’t produce any documents attesting to her ancestry; that’s not unusual when it comes to genealogy, although it does raise the question of what proof is sufficient to justify claiming minority status. (Follow the link to Bernstein’s post and read down for more on that.) The fact that her name disappeared from the minority listings in the AALS directory is interesting, though. Three possibilities. One: She was lying all along and dropped the charade once her mission of getting a job at Harvard had been accomplished. Two: She sincerely thought she had Native American ancestry but then learned something in 1995 that convinced her otherwise, so she quietly dropped minority status. In that case, though, why is she claiming it now when the press is grilling her on it? Three: Maybe the standards of proof for claiming minority status changed at Harvard or AALS such that Warren felt obliged to drop her official claim. She still thinks of herself as Native American, in other words, but she can’t prove it to the relevant authority’s comfort. That should be easy enough to check, though. Bottom line: If she’s serious about her heritage, why stop acknowledging it in the mid-90s? There’s no obvious explanation.

While you mull that, here’s Scott Brown enjoying one of the greatest moments of retail politics in recent American history.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If Elizabeth Warren wants to validate genuine Native American ancestry, she can surely afford a personal genomics service to dig through her genome

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Quick, somebody needs to call fellow Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. (of Obama’s Beer Summit fame after the Cambridge Police “acted stupidly”) to solve this mystery on his “Finding Your Roots” Show on PBS.

In last night’s show, Professor Gates determined that Condi Rice is actually almost half Euorpean, so I’m sure he could track down Elizabeth Warren’s Cherokee & Delaware tribal ancestors.

wren on April 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Sitting Horseface ?

galtani on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Why are people always claiming to be part Cherokee anyways? And it’s always an great grandmother who was a Cherokee. Cherokee women must’ve been sluts who gave it up to the white man easily.

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Me thinkum Lizzy bit too paleface to be Injun.

wildcat72 on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The only thing “native” is her stink……SFC

+50 masshole…..pathetic doesn’t come close….kill’m all!

dmann on April 30, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This is all so stupid, between this and contraceptives, I’m getting embarrassed to be a female.

jodetoad on April 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Democrats, male and female, should be embarrassed by this stuff. The rest of us can only be amused, amazed, or disgusted.

Gladtobehere on April 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Bouncing off my post previous to yours, many of those same Indians with whom I worked and lived, and few is a key, never went beyond the “Indian” moniker…for the simple reason that most American Americans wouldn’t understand being Minikonju or Ojibwa or Lakota no matter how much time one spent trying to map out the differences.

Indian as shorthand worked well.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Geez.
My 9th great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee.
That makes my 10th great grandmother Cherokee.
And it means JACK SQUAT.
I really hate these self serving arrogant a-holes.
We need to call them out.
And do it OFTEN.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I would be asking her how hard was it for her, growing up on the Cherokee reservation, does she speak Cherokee, can she write Cherokee? It’s as much a question of ethnicity (culture) as it is race.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I don’t think the Cherokee have had a reservation since the early 1900s.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Sitting Horseface ?

galtani on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Hey Betty, why the long face?

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Most of my friends prefer to be referred to their tribe. My Lakota friends identify as Lakota. My Kiowa friends as Kiowa. My Comanche friends as Comanche. Etc.

I have many Native American friends and I cannot think of one that identifies himself/herself as Native American or Indian. I do have a few that identify themselves as simply American.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

ButterflyDragon, I have cousins who are Saponi. I call myself a Native American- I don’t call myself Indian. I call myself Native American because I am one I was born on American soil. And it’s nothing more than PC B.S. to refer to Indians as Native Americans.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

puke

dmann on April 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I don’t think the Cherokee have had a reservation since the early 1900s.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

The white Democratic candidate (Warren) has so far offered no evidence that she is, in fact, part Native American, suggesting that she may have falsified that ethnic credential to advance her academic career in the early affirmative-action era.—ref:Daily Caller

BigSven on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I don’t think the Cherokee have had a reservation since the early 1900s.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Still that difficult to get into a restaurant or hotel?

Sheeesh…somebody oughta do something about that.

Doesn’t Travelocity have an app for that, or something?

:-)

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Why are people always claiming to be part Cherokee anyways? And it’s always a great grandmother who was a Cherokee. Cherokee women must’ve been sluts who gave it up to the white man easily.

Then 4 posts down…

My 9th great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee.
That makes my 10th great grandmother Cherokee.

Cherokee women were friggin sluts to give it up so easily to the white man

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Geez.
My 9th great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee.
That makes my 10th great grandmother Cherokee.
And it means JACK SQUAT.
I really hate these self serving arrogant a-holes.
We need to call them out.
And do it OFTEN.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

It’s weird when I read the reason she was claiming Cherokee and Delaware heritage it was to show that they were diverse?

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Many white frontiersmen took Cherokee wives because Cherokee women knew how to run a farm (Cherokee were farmers like the Europeans), generally knew which native plants were good for food or medicine, and had some knowledge of the local Natives, if the family moved further west. Cherokee fathers wanted sons-in-law who had access to cool things like metal pots and cloth.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Wow…trashing Warren gets censored….F hotair!

dmann on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

My ex-husband’s dad was born on an Indian reservation in OK-they were visiting family. Ex’s dad’s birth father was half-maybe a quarter Indian. My son’ last name IS an ‘Indian’ name.
My point is that Spawn is more than 1/10,000th American Indian-yet unlike Warren-he’s not claiming to BE American Indian.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I don’t think the Cherokee have had a reservation since the early 1900s.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

There is also a Red Earth Festival every year in Oklahoma City. American Indian Nations from across the country attend.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

i knew pocahontas…………….and she is no pocahontas

all joking aside ,why are liberal women so unattractive physically, as well as their personalities , kinda feel like a jerk bringing it up but……she is ugly

murrayjones on April 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m from Oklahoma and familiar with the tribes. The majority of Cherokees live in OK. The headquarters and the tribal government is located in Oklahoma. I can assure you it is not located on a reservation. I can direct you to a picture of the turbo prop aircraft that the chiefs use to travel for tribal business.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Let’s actually get Warren’s position on government seizure of land.

MeatHeadinCA on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Is Scott Brown going to use that basketball clip in a campaign ad? The kids’ enthusiasm makes you smile and the cold Warren would probably steam at him using it. What kid likes her. She looks like an evil librarian.

Marcus on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

And wasn’t their a controversy recently about Cherokee’s kicking out black members? Is Warren a racist?

MeatHeadinCA on April 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM

…it’s not like she was being asked if she was really a woman or something!

KOOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM

But, if she is one of the five civilized tribes, she’s good to go./

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Then 4 posts down…

My 9th great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee.
That makes my 10th great grandmother Cherokee.
Cherokee women were friggin sluts to give it up so easily to the white man

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

She married an Irish frontiersman. That’s being a slut? They lived on the Virginian frontier & he died in the Battle of Point Pleasant, at the beginning of the Rev0lution.
I have a feeling she wasn’t a slut.
But I do have a feeling you might be a d!ck.
Perhaps we’re both wrong.

Sekhmet on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

It’s like talking to a brick wall. Clearly this guy is ready to indict Cherokee women marrying white men as sluts for some wierd reason.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The Herald reported Friday that embattled Harvard Law School officials touted Warren’s Native American heritage — she reportedly has ancestors from the Cherokee and Delaware tribes — as proof of the faculty’s diversity.

WTH?

David Yeagley Comanche

Harvard Law’s First American Indian Professor? Elizabeth Warren (white)

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

K

OOLAID2 on April 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM

And from the photos shudder it appears that that would indeed be a fair question.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Sekhmet on April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM

When I was kid my parents were pipe band(as in Scottish) followers. One of the ‘regulars @ the highland games south of the Mason-Dixon was Doud Macintosh. Doud was Scots-from Scotland-and his mother was an Amercan Indian princess. I don’t remember the tribe. Doud was a bona fide Indian chief. He would strut around in his highland regalia and this VERY impressive war bonnet. He used to flirt with all the ladies-including young teenage me-despite being around 90 the last time I saw him. His niece was a member of our clan,Wallace.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

And WTH names themselves a butt pirate, anyway?
You & KeninCT should get together.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I lived there, and my daughter still lives in Norman. I don’t need directions, I am familiar with the geography.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This is a Ward Churchill redux. Nothing more.

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

What a moron.

LizardLips on April 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

One drop rule?

iurockhead on April 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Long Description:
The Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma was founded after the Cherokees were relocated along the Trail of Tears from western North Carolina. The Cherokee Nation’s capital is Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

Type of Nation Within: Native American Indian Reservation (USA)

Tribe or Band: Cherokee

Land Area – Specify Acres or Miles: 7000 square miles

Population: 70,000

Date when area was established or set aside: 01/01/1838

Open or Closed to Public: Open To Public

Website for further information: [Web Link]

Address of Main Entrance to area: Not listed

Coordinates of site within area to visit: Not Listed

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

This is a Ward Churchill redux. Nothing more.

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I thought Ward Churchill was made an honorary member of the Western Cherokee Nation?

I think they stopped giving out honorary memberships.

His reasoning was that made him Cherokee.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’m not trying to argue with you. Too many people have this idea that all NA are poor and live in drunken squalor on reservations. If you lived here then you know that is far from the truth, just trying to point that out to others.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

She is such a poor candidate, look for her to pull a Toricelli and quit so the Democrats can throw someone else at Brown. They’re going to lose anyway, but the Democrats will force her out of the race rather than have her duplicate the performance of Martha Coakley.

bflat879 on April 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Why do so many White folk claim to be part Cherokee?

Blame it on Paul Revere and the Raiders.

A lot of hippie Mom’s and dad’s convinced themselves and their kids that the White Man took the whole Cherokee nation, and put us on this reservation; they took away our ways of life, the tomahawk and the bow and knife.

Been that way since 1970 or 71 or so.

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Maybe Lizzie’s an ‘honorary’ member too.

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

She is selling tax free cigarettes from her Cambridge house.

galtani on April 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I did a little checking on ancestry.com and it looks like Granny Warren’s family tree has been researched thoroughly and is included in the One World Tree part of the site. Her family on her mother’s side may have been Sooners who settled in the Indian Territory of eastern OK but they were from MO and AR and were white, not Native Americans. Some of the younger siblings of her maternal grandmother were listed in census records as having been born in “Indian Territory” in the 1890′s. Oklahoma became a state in 1907. It may have been family lore that she is part Native American but I haven’t seen any evidence of it.

BrianBoru on April 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Maybe she just finally realized that getting good special treatment because of your race is just exactly as racist as getting bad special treatment because of your race.

MikeA on April 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Pinocohantas #LizWarrensIndianName

shanimal on April 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Maybe it’s a moby ??

pambi on April 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Oh come on. If you lived here you know damn well that is not what most people would think of when they hear the word reservation.

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM

All anyone needs to do to dispel themselves of that stereotype is to visit one of their Casinos.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Why is it that when you disagree with a prog/lib/Dem, you’re either racist, homophobic, sexist, a 1%-er, or just a complete moron?

sage0925 on April 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM

As Terry Pratchett noted, one of the few benefits of old age is that you’re allowed to twinkle at the ladies.

PersonFromPorlock on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I don’t know what other people’s knowledge is of American Indian Reservations. So I wouldn’t know how they interpret the term reservation.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

sage0925 on April 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Because no prog/lib/Dem can defend who they are based on fact?

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM

sage0925 on April 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It is easier than actually having to argue one’s point.

CW on April 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Maybe Lizzie’s an ‘honorary’ member too.

chewmeister on April 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

No she was claiming a Cherokee and Delaware ancestor. It’s where she claims minority status, because of that ancestor in her ancestry that isn’t kosher. It looks like Harvard Law was trying to meet some kind of diversity quota? Why didn’t they just give a law scholarship to a real Cherokee?

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Marcus on April 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

So true. She’s comes off like a cartoonish, snooty, uppity, better-than-you liberal hypocrite. It was hilarious to see her fumble badly when she was asked about whether she used her supposed “Native American” heritage to get her get jobs at Harvard.

Elizabeth Warren is a FRAUD.

Ward Churchill + Elizabeth Warren = Two of the same.

bluegill on April 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM

PersonFromPorlock on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Oh, we thought that Doud was awesome…because he WAS awesome.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM

BrianBoru on April 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Sometimes family oral history does get muddled in the retelling when the stories are passed down. Still it’s thin gruel to claim minority status with.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

It’s as much a question of ethnicity (culture) as it is race.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I got to thinking. I eat a whole lot of Mexican food and my step mom was Mexican. Where’s my programs?

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I live near the Sioux Rez. I have worked cattle with many Indians from there & know many of them.
80%+ of them are drunks.
Sorry if that offends anyone, but the ones I know who aren’t drunks are the 1st to admit it of their own.
The town of McLaughlin SD where I spend time is a freaking PIT.
As a white woman, I don’t feel in danger, but they sure as hell won’t leave me alone if I’m by myself.
And they all want money from you for booze.
It’s terrible.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM

People in this country who have not been exposed to successful tribes like the Cherokee or Chickasaw have been told by Hollywood and the media that Indian Reservations are barren land that nobody wanted and are covered with shacks filled with destitute NA. (There are reservations like that, but not in this part of the country.)

Aviator on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

According to Wikipedia Elizabeth’s maiden name was Elizabeth Herring.

Warren is the last name of Elizabeth’s first husband Jim. Jim and Elizabeth were divorced in 1978.

Elizabeth Warren has been married to her current husband, Bruce Mann since 1980.

Is is Sexist to ask why Elizabeth uses her first husband’s last name, rather than being known as Elizabeth Mann?

wren on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

A graduae of he first class of West Point married a Cherokee (Choteau) Sam Hooustan’s wife, Talahina, a highly respected maid. I live on what used to be Cherokee land. John Ross was a well educated and much respected Cherokee. The Cherokee tribe was split between those that came on the “trail of Tears” and the later immigrants of Stan Waite. There has been bad blood between them every since. Stan became a general in the Confederate Army and was the last or one of the last to surrender. The black Cherokees were slaves of the Cherokee slaveholders. There has been argument since Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation as to whether it applied to “Black” indians, since they were soverign nations. I believe that of all the tribes, the Cherokess have a hard number as to your blood percentage to call yourself a Cherokee (Ward Churchill not withstanding.)

Last, but not least, some of the most despicable pieces of excrement have been Cherokee and some of the most honest and noblepeople I have ever met have been Cherokee. A mix just like the rest of the American population.

If you come to Claremore, old highway 88 going north to Oologah is named the Coo-wee-scoo-wee parkway after the man who gave the Cherokees their written language – the Great Sequoyah.

Old Country Boy on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

lol, we got a live one here.

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I am not 100% positive, but I think your program is Called “Fast & Furious” you should check into it, you might have some high powered ammo due you ;)

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

What did Supreme Court Justice Kagan know and when did she know it as regards Elizabeth Warren falsifying her status at Harvard Law School?

Kagan was Dean of Harvard Law subsequent to Warren’s false claims being made and exploited.

Why, Justice Kagan, was not a legitimate American Indian permitted to actually take a seat at Harvard Law? Why was a lying white woman permitted to keep an American Indian out?

Sexism? Racism? Which is it, Justice Kagan?

coldwarrior on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Please excuse some of the disjointedness of the previous post. Somehow my insert space and backspace are bumbling.

Old Country Boy on April 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM
————————————–

wren on April 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM

wren:Finding your Roots,…oy,I’m only on PBS for Antique RoadShow,
and I’m sure Gates must of twisted Condi roots to get there!

Btw,that phrase,was from Discovery Magizenes blog-:)

“Gene Expression”
*****************

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

wren on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

A better question is—Does Mr. Warren wake up every morning and thank God for his good fortune in unassing that not very pleasant woman?

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Up in Montana, during fire season we get a lot of help from the Browning Reservation fighting forest fires.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Old Country Boy on April 30, 2012 at 9:27 PM

It was a very good post. Just read an article in Smithsonian about how Andrew Jackson did the Cherokee people dirty.

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My great grandmother’s adoptive mother was born in Uraguay.
That makes this Latina sooo proud.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

wren on April 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

wren:Interesting,….in Barbra Boxers voice,please call me Senator,
not ma’am,I’ve worked hard to get there….and please,don’t
even think about,”ManHandling” Elizabeth Mann,shes a minority,
and a Native American,she’s worked hard to get where she is!:)

(snark)

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Wow, I am feeling downright left out. Being an anglo-celt mutt, whose family made it over here to avoid starving to death “over there” about 130 to 120 years ago, I can’t claim anything exotic like noble lineage of the original Americans.

Sigh.

But that basketball shot was HOT!!!

By the way, how are the polls in this race?

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

My great grandmother’s adoptive mother was born in Uraguay.
That makes this Latina sooo proud.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Uraguay yeah maybe you would be eligible for a semi automatic LOL! I think you got to be coming from directly below the southern border -somewhere around Laredo Nuevo area, to you know, get your hands on the real fire power.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

So is she a white Indian or is she Metis?

We may never know. (what with the current number of females being exterminated in the Great War on Women.)

BL@KBIRD on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM

IDK how Blackffet are, but I do know Crow.
Many of them are pretty mean & nasty.
I also know if you’re white, you’d better watch your a$$ if you stop in Wolf Point for anything.
My nephew had a death wish one night. There’s a bunch of nasty mean white hating half breeds there.
You’ll get scalped if you don’t watch yourself.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Unless proven otherwise I’ll believe the only Cherokee Elizabeth Warren’s ever been part of is a test drive.

BKennedy on April 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m mostly central-eastern European Jewish with a little British thrown in for kicks. Spawn is a TRUE mutt.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I can’t claim anything exotic like noble lineage of the original Americans.

karenhasfreedom on April 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Ain’t nothing special or exotic about a bunch of people who high tailed it out of the Eastern hemisphere to settle a place where no one had gone before.
Besides, we’re all related in the end anyway.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It’s not just family lore! Here’s photo evidence.

hepcat on April 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Elizabeth Warren, Elizabeth Warren, Elizabeth Warren.

“I know three, personally, women named Hilary Rosen Elizabeth Warren.”

- Jay Carney Obama Spokeshole

pain train on April 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Border’s about 200-250 miles s/w of here.
We’re closer to MEXICO than we are to HOUSTON.

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The Cherokee society was matriarchal, with only women owning property. That is why records for Cherokee women are more likely to be available than Cherokee males.

And your comments about Cherokee women are simply ignorant and insulting, pirate of the rectum.

WhatNot on April 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Wolf Point is way out there. I have a friend who lives in Froid, and she would pass through on her way to North Dakota. It can’t be very populated, it’s out in the middle of nowhere.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

(snark)

canopfor on April 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I love your snark, canopfor!

But please don’t ask me to imagine Barbara Boxer’s voice. It is hard enough to have Ma’am Boxer as my Senator!

wren on April 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Tomorrow, Elizabeths children arise once again to assert their place at the table with all the wisdom socialist youth can bring into light. She will be on the front lines with a Chinese/Cherokee War Bonnet won’t she?

BL@KBIRD on April 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM

It’s not just family lore! Here’s photo evidence.

hepcat on April 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM

More like this:

arnold ziffel on April 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

. It can’t be very populated, it’s out in the middle of nowhere.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It is.
I’m often out in the middle of nowhere.
I’m still more comfortable in a Rez town as a white blonde woman that I am in a big city somewhere.
If you’re honest with them, they’re usually that way with you.
Just keep a handle of your stuff.
A friend ranches by Little Eagle SD. The locals trade whiskey & commodities for pasture leases.
They often stop buy for a drink. Gotta lock the place up when he’s gone.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Truth is sexist. Who knew?

Stoic Patriot on April 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Truth is sexist. Who knew?

Stoic Patriot on April 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Only when it hurts.

Badger40 on April 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Christine O’Donnell had to prove she wasn’t a witch, but this broad can’t be asked to prove she is a Native American when she’s been falsely claiming to be one for years and years? Nice double standard ya got there, lefties.

Rational Thought on April 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

The point that everyone is missing is that there are a lot of people who lie about being part Indian. For many of those people the Cherokee are the only tribe they can remember.

People often believe strange things about their family histories, often from being told tall tales by odd relations during childhood.

Elizabeth Warren may or may not know the truth about her ancestry, but unless she’s the one making a big deal about it this is all just a waste of time.

halfbaked on April 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

pirateoftheperineum on April 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My great grandmother was born on the reservation in Cherokee, NC in 1895 and grew up there until she married and and a few years and three children later, moved to Asheville,NC in the 1920′s. The reason that some many people have Cherokee heritage is because the Cherokee’s were more sophisticated and educated than the other Indian Nations. They had their own written language, one news paper and before the Civil War had there own member of Congress. They assimilated into the general population more readily that others and therefore they had more mixed race offspring. Maybe you should check out some facts before you make stupid comments about something of which you know so little. You can’t even claim to be a Cherokee unless you are at least a 1/16th and then your name has to be listed in the Baker census roll and then you have to be recognized by the nation. 1/10,000th, doesn’t qualify for squat!

flytier on April 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Be sure your sins will find you out…

TN Mom on April 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

And it’s nothing more than PC B.S. to refer to Indians as Native Americans.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Agreed.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

she thought the box she checked off when getting hired by Harvard said Naive American. Don’t forget she supplied the intellectual foundation for occupy wall street. MOONBAT ALERT

deimos on April 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Asking her heritage is sexist, and asking about Obama’s birth certificate is racist. Since when has asking for the truth become such a awful thing that it requires liberal tag.

savage24 on April 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Rational Thought on April 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It’s not fair to be evaluated on what you say or do. Progressive intentions are all that matter. That’s why:
Conservative= Responsible Bad