Anti-bullying hero bullies conference of school children

posted at 11:46 am on April 28, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Barack Obama and Joe Biden may be having second thoughts about assigning Dan Savage as their de facto “Anti-Bullying Czar” this year. According to Fox News, the sex advice columnist – Savage Love – and gay rights activist who founded It Gets Better seems to either have a hard time understanding the definition of bullying or has some serious issues with irony.

Really? So you picked a raunchy sex advice columnist who publishes a column called “Savage Love” as your ambassador to help out at risk children. What could possibly go wrong? Well, here’s what can possibly go wrong.

As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.” …

Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. But it turned into an episode of Christian-bashing.

Rick Tuttle, the journalism advisor for Sutter Union High School in California, was among several thousand people in the audience. He said they thought the speech was one thing – but it turned into something else.

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

Tuttle said a number of his students were offended by Savage’s remarks – and some decided to leave the auditorium.

“It became hostile,” he said. “It felt hostile as we were sitting in the audience – especially towards Christians who espouse beliefs that he was literally taking on.”

The speaker, in a supposed attempt to encourage young people to behave in a civil fashion toward each other, immediately launches into a diatribe against Christian values. When some of the students – particularly a few of the young ladies – become offended, he berates them and engages in hostile name calling. This is the keystone of the anti-bullying campaign?

For anyone to be shocked by this outcome, you’d either have to be completely ignorant about the author’s history or … well… have a job at the White House, I suppose. For just one brief sample of the aforementioned “Savage Love” wisdom, click here. But before you do, I have to warn you… the language in this column is absolutely not safe for work and not appropriate for children to read. Also, if you are easily offended, don’t read it either. (Or at least don’t say I didn’t warn you.) I will not be reprinting any of the quotables here today.

UPDATE: (Jazz) I won’t embed it here because of the NSFW language, but if you want to watch Savage’s speech (along with all of the Christian students walking out) you can do so here. Link provided via Twitter by Ningrim.

But wait! We have located what is likely the primary source material Dan Savage used in developing this program. Watch the video and be amazed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Still looking for a link to the so-called “joint statement” by the NSPA/JEA, if anyone has seen it.

Still trying to wrap my head around the concept of a press release that can’t be found on the web.

novaculus on April 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Matthew 10:34-39

lester on April 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

So, you admit that you haven’t the intelligence to understand that passage. Well, admitting your problem is half the battle.
As I said, I doubt that you’ve ever read the Bible.

Now, let’s have a passage from the koran about what is demanded/commanded of its adherents regarding homosexuals. (You might as well use Wiki for that, too…since you haven’t read the koran either.)

Or are you too much of a coward to do that, lester?
Don’t worry. They can’t track you through your nickname and IP…probably.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I just thought of something, he uses his sexuality to make money, isn’t that capitalism prostitution ? OMG, does that make him a s–t ??

nwpammy on April 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM

FIFYAM

pambi on April 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Not only hateful but ignorant to boot. The New Testament does not call for killing anyone for sinful behavior; it points out that unrepentant, open sinful behavior indicates unbelief and that unbelievers will not inherit eternal life.

AZfederalist on April 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Lester is too filled with hate to think straight.

Lester thanks for playing ….truly sad.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Seems a lot like what Muslims say. Apparently I don’t really get the meaning of their holy book either.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You don’t get much except to see what YOU want to see in religions or political parties.

Oh thanks again for the confirmation.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

bazil9 on April 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Just like this man is picking and choosing the parts of the Bible to embrace and ignore, he chooses to ignore that there are no attempts in mass by Christians to change his life style or harm him. I am probably more offended by his liberal ideology than his sex partner but I don’t wish him harm for that either. I just think we are giving power to people in the form of bureaucracies based on the oddest contexts.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

A lot of kids are bullied, and not all are homosexual. I’ve never seen a great deal of concern expressed by liberals for straight- yet- shy/ quiet/ overweight/ physically disabled kids who are picked on.

Dan Savage’s understanding of the Bible (as is typical of most of its critics), dismal.

Savage mentioned slavery in his speech.

Some of the most outspoken opponents of slavery in 19th century America and 18th/19th century Britain were Christian, who used the Bible to persuade the people of the time that involuntary servitude was not moral.

The Bible, Slavery, and America’s Founders

That the Bible mentions the immorality and depravity practiced by humans (as is the case with slavery, rape, child sacrifice) does not mean that God endorses it or accepts it, but that we are being shown our failings and shortcomings.

Sometimes newspapers of today report of rapes and muggings; it doesn’t mean the journalist writing the story engages in that behavior himself or endorses it; he’s only reporting it.

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

So, you’re saying that all homosexuals are cannibals, then…..just like Jeffery Dahmer.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Lester, I think I hear your mommy calling you.

teacherman on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Lester, I think I hear your mommy calling you.

teacherman on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I suspect he still lives with his overbearing mother.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I notice people keep referring to ‘gay’ suicides as if they are caused by bullying. Perhaps we should ask ourselves if they are ALREADY more prone to suicide because they engage in homosexual behavior. Let’s not forget, homosexuality was changed from personality disorder to acceptable lifestyle by the APA, not as a result of scientific discovery, but as a political move.

avgjo on April 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

CW on April 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’m pretty happy with my life. Somehow I don’t think that will change your delusions and feel free to continue with personal attacks. That’s where you excel and I can safely filter your comments out.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

The only honest thing libfreeordie has said.

Savage thought he had a captive audience and felt it was his opportunity to shame people for being Christians, under the guise of bullying. That is itself, bullying.

If his point was to say “the bible has passages that people no longer uphold, so why do some Christians still uphold the ones that are used to demonize gay people”? That’s a debate.

But he didn’t. He said “if you’re christian, you support bullying just by holding your beliefs”.

The problem for Savage, is he wants to define what bullying constitutes at that moment, but then not abide that definition when it boomerangs.

Like I said before, Savage just made “pansyass” a fair game term.

What’s good for the goose, right Lib?

budfox on April 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

For more than a decade, Democrats in the state legislature have fought their Republican colleagues and social conservatives such as Gary Glenn, president of the American Family Association of Michigan, who referred to anti-bullying measures as “a Trojan horse for the homosexual agenda.”

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Given the example of the Dan Savage speech, it seems as if those Republican colleagues are right, doesn’t it?

AZfederalist on April 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I ask because there are plenty of kids who get bullied who adjust well to life. But we seem to focus on the ‘gay’ kids because they commit suicide. Perhaps the root problem lies elsewhere…

avgjo on April 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Brutal hypocrisy alert.

locomotivebreath1901 on April 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Poor lester –

His hatred of Christianity is brought about by a lack of comprehension of the Bible…which he clearly has not read.

kingsjester on April 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The likes of Lester come here to fill their emptiness and in an attempt to feel morally superior to GOP and religious types of course based on simplistic outdated stereotypes.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Lester, I think I hear your mommy calling you.

teacherman on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I suspect he still lives with his overbearing mother.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

95% personal attacks, 5% punctuation. CW’s typical comment. teacherman joins the fun?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I’m pretty happy with my life.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Doth protest too much. You keep telling yourself that.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Lib’s already run off. Tuff guy.

budfox on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:04 PM

And yet, another personal attack.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Why should we be talking about Koran?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Because they want sharia in America?

Because they want to kill gays?

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

he stopped getting hit and hit back. And you know what? A school with an “anti-bullying” measure punished him for it.

melle1228 on April 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

But, he didn’t get bullied anymore, did he? Good for him. He should be proud.
As for the school…..they are going to reap the fruits of what they are trying to sow. And they’ll deserve it.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Lefties are never truly liberal or progressive.

They just stole the tersm.

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Oh my mistake. Dan Savage tormented some kids on a school bus everyday for months and months? Dan Savage and his friends targeted some Christian kids on twitter and Facebook mercilessly? Dan Savage physically assaulted some kids, spat on them, urinated on them and hit them with objects? I didn’t realize he had been bullying. Or is it, in fact, that you are conflating the terror that LGBT and other kids who are actual victims of bullies with the experience of listening to this speech? In which case, you’re not too bright.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Libfreeordie, I am a Christian, and I was bullied a lot growing up.

I don’t remember any bullying directed at my specifically for being Christian, but I was bullied for being shy and a bit nerdy. I was taunted daily on the bus, in the hallways, some classes, during gym. The teachers and principals would not help me.

I was insulted, punched, slapped, hair pulled, ridiculed, tripped, and spat on. I didn’t do anything to ask for that. I was always quiet and kept to myself, but I got picked on.

I guess you don’t have a problem with any of that since I was not a homosexual being picked on for being homosexual?

Just as it would not be okay for a homosexual kid to be picked on for being homosexual by other kids, it’s not okay for an adult homosexual to harass and ridicule a group of Christian kids for being Christian. and all that is related to their faith (their belief in the Bible, for instance).

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Because they want sharia in America?

Because they want to kill gays?

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

When was the last time Muslims passed an anti-gay law in America?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Where, in all of the New Testament Koran, is there anything even remotely calling for violence against others homosexuals? Just one citation. Just one. One. C’mon. Just one.

John the Libertarian on April 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Ibn Abbas and Abu Huraira reported God’s messenger as saying, ‘Accursed is he who does what Lot’s people did.’ In a version . . . on the authority of Ibn Abbas it says that Ali [Muhammad's cousin and son—in—law] had two people burned and that Abu Bakr [Muhammad's chief companion] had a wall thrown down on them. (Mishkat, vol. 1, p. 765, Prescribed Punishments)

And this sissy boy is worried about Christians?

BigAlSouth on April 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I am sorry about your experience. However, I do wonder if you can read.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

This would include all bullying victims, including yourself. Perhaps you are one of those Christians who sees the word “gay” or the acronym LGBT and it causes a little nuclear explosion in your brain wherein you are unable to read anything afterwards for a few sentences. In which case, I understand why you might think I only care about gay victims of bullying.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Having different beliefs than someone else doesn’t make one a bully. Not approving of someone’s lifestyle doesn’t make one a bully.

Calling people “pansy asses” for not listening to you insult them, on the other hand, is. Clearly, you don’t know what bullying is. My guess is that you were bullied, as I was…and you didn’t learn to deal with it in the proper way. Instead, you learned to turn your anger and frustration on others by attacking them for their views.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Here’s the irony…no where in the bible does it demean or say anything negative about being homosexual…it says the act is wrong, just like out of marriage sex, it says the acts carried out by homosexual’s are wrong, but it does not ever address the fact that someone is or feels they are gay.
If a man is attracted to blondes, and is married to a brunette, that does not give him license to hook up with any blonde he attracts, humans are not animals, and I would think homosexuals don’t feel they are just animals…so like the man attracted to blonde women, you just control your urges.
The bible talks of controlling your urges, not about changing your sexuality, or changing your urges (temptation is talked about a bit in the Bible), but controlling them…and that is what is upsetting to this guy, being told that he can’t do whatever he wants and be within standards of society.

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

If those kids had all been gay, and had been listening to a speaker rant on and on about how terrible they were, would you be making the same claim?

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Savage has a tendency to do enormous disservice to his own cause. It’s a fact that gay teens are much more likely to be bullied, much more likely to be thrown out of their homes by their parents, much more likely to commit suicide in response to bullying. And several states or localities have or are attempting to omit sexual orientation from their anti-bullying rules (sometimes justified by such tolerance being a ‘bullying’ of Christians). See the controversy in the Anoka-Hennepin schools.

An eloquent person could make this case. But Savage tends to get so wrapped up in his anger at the Religious Right and the GOP, that he ends up infuriating everyone. The It Gets Better thing works mostly because it involves thousands of people other than Savage. He’s an extremely poor choice for this sort of thing. And anyone even remotely familiar with his stylings would know it.

Hal_10000 on April 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

The likes of lester just put their fingers in their ears and hum.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

He has to hum. He’s forgotten the words to “La-la-la-la-la-I can’t hear you”.
And he can’t find it on Wiki.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

When was the last time Muslims passed an anti-gay law in America?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I think some of them want to. I’ve seen news coverage of Muslims who want to enforce sharia in Denmark and other European nations.

Derby gay death call leaflet ‘was Muslim duty’

A man who handed out a leaflet calling for homosexuals to be executed has said he was just doing his “duty as a Muslim”.

Does it matter to you that homosexuals are sentenced to death in Muslim nations by Muslims for being homosexuals, and some have been hanged for it?

What does the Religion of Peace Teach About homosexuality

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Hal_10000, I agree 100%. Well said.

McDuck on April 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The biggest problem when Liberals decide to do something about bullying is that they are like Dogberry (see Much Ado About Nothing). They do not want to soil their hands dealing with the REAL Bullies.

I learned this way back when in the fifth grade. (Johnson was President then.)

When I went to the teachers about bullies all I got was;
Ignore them, they’ll grow tired of it. (WRONG – they continually intensify til they get your attention.)
Don’t you think you bring this on yourself? (NO, I try to go someplace by myself and they will go out of their way to find me.)

But the instant I stood up to them, I find myself in the princapal’s office (someplace the bullies never had to go) being told the First and Biggest lie of the Liberal School System.
“It Takes Two To Fight.” (WRONG, one not fighting back will still get the snot kicked out of him.)

I learned a lot about liberalism because of bullies. Including that no one cares about my own well being as much as I do. A recess incident involving four bullies, myself, and a baseball bat ended my bully problem all the way into my Senior Year in High School. (Got me suspended for a week too, but it was worth it.)

jaydee_007 on April 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You seem unduly concerned with homosexual victims of bullying, more so than with other kinds of kids who are bullied.

You also are continuing to excuse and defend an adult homosexual who was engaging in bullying against a group of kids, some of whom are Christian.

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hal_10000 on April 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I prefer referring to him as the pond scum he is, but you articulated his damage perfectly.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Pal, most everyone has been “bullied”…it’s a part of life, get over it.
If one was skinny, they were bullied, more than any “gay” was, since just about anything physical is a target of bullying.
If you wore glasses as a child, wore the wrong shoes, were to poor to dress “right”…you were bullied and made fun of.
Too short, too tall, too skinny, too fat…a Jew, black, hispanic, Mormon, Jehovah witness, Christian, you were bullied…pimples, limp, birthmark, hair style, wrong side of the tracks, upper side of the tracks…it doesn’t matter, bully’s are not something that happens to just one group of whiners.
My advice? Grow up and embrace your life and don’t allow yourself to be bullied…and quit whining, you make a horrible noise when you do, I hear it all the in North Carolina, you know, those rednecks that are always made fun of and bullied…waaaaaa, waaaaaaaa!!

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I agree Miss Cindy. But I usually tend to agree with you. :)

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Much agreed.

I don’t care if he is gay..or has a partner..yes it is his ideology.
Which goes over the libs heads here.

bazil9 on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Saw the video. What a complete jackass! Leave it to THIS administration to have a tool like that “lecturing” young people on bullying. Unreal.

Tomolena1 on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

“Show me the proof!!” Screamed the crackpot posting about the sharia law takeover that’s happening only in his/her imagination. … ! My brain is so empty it needs extra freaky, double deaky levels of proof of things that are self evident and can be found with a simple google search. Show. me. the proof!!”

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

So troll, go do a google search on Hamtramck, MI and the allowance by the city council to allow the muslim call to prayer over loudspeakers five times a day and contrast that with nearby communities that have prohibited the ringing of church bells. While you are at it, take a quick google search of the Dearborn, MI muslims who are calling for sharia, first to be used locally for disputes.

AZfederalist on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Looks fairly clear to me. It’s also bullshit as is the part about shellfish. That’s pretty much the extent of what Savage said and somehow people took offense. Unless someone believes this is true and people should actually be killed for this nonsense then there’s no reason to be offended.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I suspect he still lives with his overbearing mother.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Apparently she ain’t overbearing enough. She should limit his computer time.

arnold ziffel on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

These people are fools. Every single one of them, and many a fool posts here as well. They have no concept of context or history. Christianity brought us the enlightenment, liberty (our founding), ended slavery, ended segregation and will someday end the slaughter of the unborn.

Now let’s compare that to their preferred form of “liberty” as evidenced by the French Rev(the letter 0)lution. A humanist rev(the letter 0)lution that leads to Marxism and every other socialist -ism that enslaves all people to the state and slaughters 100s of millions who dare to not fit in or defy the state. The difference is not surprising when one side preaches love thy neighbor even if you disagree with thy neighbor, while the other side insists on destroying thy neighbor for political advantage. Which society following these two different rules is going to be freer in the long run?

I’ll take Christianity any day of the week over the bitter, hateful, Christian bashers who seem to be oblivious to their own hypocritical ways, TYVM.

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Because they want sharia in America?

Because they want to kill gays?

Schadenfreude on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

When was the last time Muslims passed an anti-gay law in America?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Damn your an idiot. My only response to you..going forward.
They would if they could. Once they gain some majority and infiltrate into our Govt..as they are everywhere else,I have no doubt.

Sharia..check it out.

I thank the lord I was born in America.

bazil9 on April 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Looks like there’s only one thing left for Savage to do…

I’m gonna’ jack it where the sun always shines.
(He’s gonna jack it)
Been spreading the word and now I need to ease my mind
(jackin’ it, oh)
Been planting apple seeds, and while the apples grow
I’m gonna go out jackin’ it in San Diego.

Jackin’ it, jackin’ it, jackety-jack
Spankin’ it, jackin’ it, spankety-smack.

I don’t need no shirt no, gonna’ take them pants right off.
(he’s about to jack it)
On such a bright day, who needs underwear or socks?
(jack it, jack it, ho!)
Been around god’s country, and there’s one thing I know,
There’s no better place for jackin’ it than San Diego!

Jack it, jack it, jackety-jack
Spankin’ it, spankin’ it, smackety-smack.
Jackin’ it, jackin’ it, jackety-jack.
Spankin’ it, spankin’ it, smackety-smack.

JACKING FOR THE LORD!

whistling

Come to San Diego
There’s so much to see…
From the sparkling waters of Mission Bay,
to the warm tortillas of Old Town.
And after a day of sightseeing,
why not try spankin’ it on one of our city streets?
San Diego, come, take a load off.

Jackin’ it, jackin’ it, jackety-jack.
Spankin’ it, spankin’ it, smackety-smack.
A-whackin’ it, whackin’ it, whackety-whack.
Spankin’ it, jerkin’ it, smackety-smack.

The cars are passing me by,
they honk and say hello.
(Hey, that guy’s jackin’ it!)
From his window there’s a guy shootin’ video.
(video of them jackin’ it)
And if the good lord Jesus comes knocking on my do’
Just tell him that I’m jackin’ it in San Diego.

Jackin’ it, jackin’ it, jackety-jack,
Spankin’ it, spankin’ it, smackety-smack.
(He’s about to jack it)
Jackin’ it Jack, jackin’ it Jack
Whack, whackin’ it, whackin’ it.
Whackey, whackey, spank spank, smackety-smack.

Saltyron on April 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

jaydee_007 on April 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I’m sorry you went through that, jaydee. It sounded familiar to what I endured.

I sometimes got the same comments you did from adults – just ignore the bullies and they’ll stop (that advice never worked), or ‘maybe you are causing the bullying in some way.’

It’s always disgusted me when adults blame the victims for being victimized, and it happens often.

I went out of my way to avoid angering people, starting fights, and I was so quiet. I used to spend some lunch periods hiding in the girls’ bathroom to avoid the bullies. I still got tormented anyway.

It wasn’t often I stood up to the bullies, but when I did, that was when they left me alone. The running away from it, or trying to avoid/ ignore/ go to authorities stuff never worked.

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I asked when was the last time Muslims passed an anti-gay law in America. You gave me an example of gay bashing in the UK and the views of Islam on homosexuality.

Are you then admitting that there is no legislative threat of Sharia in America (anti-gay or otherwise) while there is Christian Sharia being legislated as we speak?

Good, then let’s save America from Christian Sharia which is a clear and present danger and then we’ll worry about what Muslims do to gays in Saudi Arabia.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

The word “slavery” had a totally different meaning in much of the context than we think we know.
When the “slave” Nehemiah, went to rebuild the wall, his “slave owner” (King) sent military men with him to defend him and make sure he completed the task that he felt he had a calling to…some “slave” that was. No it wasn’t to make sure he would return, Nehemiah was there for quite awhile without that guard…btw, he was accused of being a homosexual, and he seemed to have done just fine…

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

So I guess that means we can start calling gays “pansies” again? Can’t have it both ways, ___hole.

Very constructive.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Well, worse, actually.

ConservativeLA on April 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Zero proof of that, or of them even coming the slightest inkling bit close to achieving the implementation of sharia law. They have to win elections to do that. Christ, y’all are being extra simple today. Islamophobia + gay panic must be like taking a hit of MDMA for you.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Now you’re just lying, lib. Or perhaps you don’t bother to read anything about the use of shariaa in courts.
Probably lying. You’re a leftist. (Note the use of “you’re“. You might do well to learn the difference between you’re and your.)

And, what is mdma? You cannibals seem to be up on the latest drugs. Most normal don’t stay current on such.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Islam as it is practiced in many parts of the world is certainly worse for gays than what they experience in the USA, but sometimes it seems that people use that as an excuse . It is wrong that gays are treated like second-class citizens in many states in the United States. The fact that Iran is much worse doesn’t change that. And since I live in the US, it only makes sense that I would talk about matters going on here more.

McDuck on April 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

If you continued reading down the thread you saw that I criticized Savage for going after kids. If it was reversed I would say that the speaker was engaging in anti-gay bigotry and that such speeches contribute to a broad societal atmosphere that sanctions anti-gay violence, of which bullying is only one manifestation. Savage’s comments were bigoted, but I am skeptical of Christians constant claims of victim-hood. Christians are the vast majority in this society and for goodness sake, we use the Bible when swearing people in. Christians are not under attack. Like most privilege groups they interpret any criticism or any time to diminish their excess of power as an attack. Classic privilege move.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You need to be taking some medication for that.

kingsjester on April 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

“Christian Sharia”

LOLOLOLOLOL

pambi on April 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Christian Sharia being legislated as we speak?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

What is Christian Sharia?

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Morals don’t change (hence stealing and murder remain sin to this day), but ceremonial/dietary laws did, as Christ fulfilled the law of the OT (we don’t have to sacrifice lambs and goats to get sin forgiven, or worry about wearing clothing made of mixed fibers).

Homosexual Myths (scroll down the page to view the part called “The Levitical laws against homosexual behavior are not valid today.”)

Answering Objections to Christianity

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“Christian Sharia”

LOLOLOLOLOL

pambi on April 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I’ve asked him several times in multiple threads what that is, but no response yet. I think the only thing he knows is that it sounds cool in his head.

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Well seeing as our constitution has a first amendment, your statement about Christian Sharia is rather foolish, I can see why people laugh at your posts.

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM

He read it on a bumper sticker, but couldn’t ask the driver what it meant…

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Where is Jetboy when we need him?

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Show me the Sharia laws being passed? Where are they?

lester on April 28, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Shariaa is already being used in courts around the country, lester. Who cares whether you believe it or not?

btw; How’re you coming with looking up passages in your koran to cite their treatment of homosexuals? (I know an obviously well-read man such as you must have a vast library; and a koran should be part of it.)

Oh, les….You might look up the First Rule of Holes while you’re at it.

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Dan Savage, another anti-Christian radical who happens to represent our Executive Branch of government, interpreting the Holy Bible to high school students? What a joke. This Obama thug must think we’re all under-educated simpletons who need the White House to tell us what’s right or what’s wrong. Try working on a budget Mr. Obama.

We’ll pray for you Mr. Savage.

Zorro on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

right2bright on April 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Christians are being purposefully obtuse on this thread. Savages argument is that slaveowners used passages of the Bible that compelled slaves to be docile to their masters in order to justify their immoral system as approved by God. We can interpret the text however we like to today, the historical record is CLEAR that slaveowners attempted to find and propogate biblical justifications for their evil. And, I might add, southern white protestant churches were heavily invested in the maintenance of Jim Crow for most of the 20th century. Again, these things are a matter of record. Or is your argument that all of the white people in the south who supported Jim Crow on an overwhelming basis were not Christian? None of them? Yeah right.

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

libfreeordie. When should we expect Savage to start attacking blacks? After all 70% of blacks vote for Prop 8?

ReaganWasRight on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

“We appreciate the level of thoughtfulness and deliberation regarding Dan Savage’s keynote address,” the NSPA wrote. “some audience members who felt hurt by his words and tone decided to leave in the middle of his speech, and to this, we want to make our point very clear: While as a journalist it’s important to be able to listen to speech that offends you, these students and advisers had simply reached their tolerance level for what they were willing to hear.”

the self-contradiction of having a bully bully Christians at an anti-bullying meeting does not compute for leftists.

But the larger point is Cultural Hegemony.

Cultural hegemony is the philosophic and sociological theory, by the Marxist philosopher Antonio Gramsci, that a culturally diverse society can be dominated (ruled) by one social class, by manipulating the societal culture (beliefs, explanations, perceptions, values) so that its ruling-class worldview is imposed as the societal norm, which then is perceived as a universally valid ideology and status quo beneficial to all of society, whilst benefiting only the ruling class.[1][2]

the Leftist Social Class now rules and is imposing its values on the non-left

the sad thing is that the pleasant people of our country have been nice to a lot of people, who turn out to be Hegemons…culturally and otherwise

The “crucify” language is simple anther example. Everyone wants clean air…and oops, you get a leftist Hegemon fantasizing Roman crucifixions

r keller on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

jaydee_007 on April 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I’m sorry you went through that, jaydee. It sounded familiar to what I endured.

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Thank you for the thoughts TigerPaw.

Please be aware that what I’m about to say in no way diminishes my appreciation for your sentiments.

I am not sorry I went through that because in many ways it made me who I am today. No it wasn’t fun at the time, but when Joseph was betrayed by his brothers I’m sure his dispair knew no bounds either. However as a result of that betrayal he became second only to Pharo in Egypt.

I learned much from my experience, and I think I would have succumbed to the indoctrination had I not had that experience. In many ways it stripped the ‘School Authority’ of thier masks for me.

My overall appreciation of my experience does not, however, excuse the actions of the teachers and school staff you and I dealt with then, nor what they are doing (or not doing) today.

We don’t need new laws or awareness, we just need people who actually give a darn! (as opposed to lip service)

jaydee_007 on April 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Mark up another first for the Obama dynasty.

People in the 35th century studying Ancient American History will surely equate Obama to the Roman Emperor Nero because both thought they were living gods, practiced crucifixion (Nero with Cristians, Obama with oil companies), and both sacked the treasury for selfish wants.

timberline on April 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM

And yet, another personal attack.

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Poor guy yet you make broad general attacks and it makes it ok?

You are a bigot that is clear. Oh and you live a joyless life either alone, with your mother, or in one meaningless relationship.

I know how the truth hurts…..

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

So far, we’re in agreement

Savage’s comments were bigoted, but I am skeptical of Christians constant claims of victim-hood. Christians are the vast majority in this society…

So…because someone is in a majority, they can’t be bullied? Huh. Tell that to a child of one racial or ethnic group that is in a school predominantly populated by children of a smaller racial or ethnic group. Unless, of course, you believe that relative minorities and majorities in a microenvironment apply. Do you? If not, you just displayed a clear and distinct double standard which, frankly, is my primary annoyance with left-wingers. They do not apply their standards across the board. They only apply them to groups they feel they can identify with. Hypocrisy is loathsome, whether coming from Dan Savage, a clear and identifiable creep, or from people like you, who find ways either to excuse their behavior(not the case here) or to demonize those they target…and as I say that, let the good times roll:

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Tell me something: how different is your attitude from various societies that rolled their eyes every time the Jewish people were targeted in various pogroms and cleansings, dismissing their claims of victimhood on the basis that it was a “classic privilege move”?

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Re Prop 8, notice the NoH8 crowd went after the Mormons and not the black churches. And Christians are pansy-assed? Right.

ConservativeLA on April 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Like most privilege groups…

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM

And by the way…I’m assuming you’re American. If you are, you’re in one of the biggest “privilege groups” in the world.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Libfree just dismisses anything in which it disagrees. Nice tactic eh?

Yep no such thing as reverse racism because it says so.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

hes just so butch.

tom daschle concerned on April 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Militant Muslims want sharia all over the world, including America. If they could hang homosexuals in the USA, I don’t doubt they would. They are already pushing for this kind of thing (sharia) in the UK;so that shows it’s not fantasy, it’s reality.

What is “Christian sharia”?

By and large, the only thing Christians in the USA do in regards to homosexuality is to speak out against it on blogs and in interviews, or vote against the legalization of homosexual marriage when that is brought up. Christians have a right to free speech and to state their views publicly.

I’m an American Christian. The number of homosexuals I’ve beaten, kicked, hanged, shot at, stabbed, beaten or spat on = zero.

Homosexuals sometimes harass and beat up other homosexuals and heterosexuals, and Christians. I have many examples of this, but we are permitted only two to three links per post.

Here is one recent example:
‘Angry Queers’ smash church windows in Portland

I have links to stories from secular and religious news services of homosexual men in America and other nations raping and murdering other people, both straight and homosexual, child and adult, and harassing Christians.

Muslims in the Sudan murder Christians for being Christian. Christians are also murdered or imprisoned for being Christian in North Korea. Muslim men rape Christian women in other nations and feel justified in doing so because Christian women are viewed as infidels and objects. Christians are persecuted quite a bit all over the place.

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Laws regarding homosexuality in this country have become more and more libertarian as the years have gone on. Define “Christian Sharia”, or else stop using nonsense terms that make about as much sense as “Hot Ice Cream”.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Lester seriously which is it:

1) alone

2) with mom

3) in a sad pathetic relationshop

Or a combination? Come on give it up.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Dan Savage for Vice-Preezy of the United Steezy. Vote or Die!

Buy Danish on April 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

You just live to make up stuff and you expect to be taken seriously?

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

3) in a sad pathetic relationshop

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Hey, now. Hitting a little close to home, there.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

OK, first quote is Leviticus, Old Testament law for the nation of Israel. That Old Testament civil law was set aside with Christ’s fulfillment of the law. Passages in the New Testament state the fact that the old law was set aside with the advent of Christ. Same as the Old Testament dietary laws which were to set the nation of Israel apart from the nations around it.

Savage also referred to Romans which is in the New Testament. Again, in the New Testament there is not call for the killing of those who transgress; however, it does point out that the moral law is still in effect and that persistent, unrepentant sinful lifestyles such as homosexuality are indication of unbelief and that those practicing such lifestyles will not inherit eternal life. Again, there is no call in the New Testament for violence against transgressors.

AZfederalist on April 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

While at the same time Christians the world over were fighting to end slavery. Secular humanists have never brought us any kind of liberty in this country. If slave states were using Christianity to promote slavery they were committing a sin. What you and the Savage’s of the world fail to do is use any kind of honest analysis to assess the totality of a circumstance. Thus we get these childish and ignorant rants against Christianity while failing to recognize Christianity’s role in promoting liberty.

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

AZfederalist on April 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM

But Lester will continue to lie and pretend there is because that is Lester.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

The only purposeful obtuseness hereabouts is from those who continue the asinine trope of conflating opposition to SSM with toleration of slavery. An absolutely despicable lie. Go sell crazy somewhere else.

ConservativeLA on April 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

NotCoach on April 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Schoolin the tool. Nice work.

CW on April 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Don’t know if it’s in the story above, but video here – language warning, he calls Bible “B.S.” many times.

whatcat on April 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM

It would have been nice if the camera pulled back to show how many people walked out.

timberline on April 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

lester on April 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Pansy ass.

Oh, did that offend you? Well, there’s no reason it should.

MadisonConservative on April 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I already mentioned before in an earlier post in this discussion that some of the leaders against slavery were Christians.

I gave this link earlier which goes into more detail:
The Bible, Slavery, and America’s Founders

If memory serves me, the guy who wrote “Amazing Grace” was a former slave ship owner/ slave dealer who finally realized slavery was wrong, and he became vocal in ending slavery in America… and he was a Christian, and he reached his anti-slavery views because he saw that God and the Bible did not support it.

Do you give anti-slavery Christians who opposed slavery due to their faith and understanding of the Bible any credit at all?

Or will you just sweep their contributions under the rug because it does not fit your bias against Christians?

TigerPaw on April 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

“Show me the proof!!” Screamed the crackpot posting about the sharia law takeover that’s happening only in his/her imagination. “I demand proof of clear evidence that Christians interpret the Bible to justify anti-gay sentiment and to oppose efforts that would protect vulnerable gay youth. Actual statements by actual GOP lawmakers isn’t enough, I NEED MORE! My brain is so empty it needs extra freaky, double deaky levels of proof of things that are self evident and can be found with a simple google search. Show. me. the proof!!”

libfreeordie on April 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

You really should try to control that hysteria, libby. And, you should learn how to keep things in context. You might also try to learn how to keep seperate two different posts on two different subjects.
Or does everything just sort of flow together in the little cess=pool that passes for your mind? So that talking about two different subjects in the same post seems to make sense to you?

It was your (note: your) little illiterate pal, lester, who stated – unequivocally – that he had proof (beyond the shadow of a doubt) that the Bible demands that Christians kill homosexuals. I simply asked to see the proof…since lester is obviously so well-versed in what the Bible commands believers to do. I am, by the way, still awaiting that proof.

Wassa matta, bro? You mad?
BWAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

This anti bullying bs is nothing but the front for speech laws here in america.

Make no mistake, the reprobate radical left wants to shut you up.

tom daschle concerned on April 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The Ten Commandments are pretty much the rules of Christianity, does he find fault with any of those? Other passages in the Bible tell stories about things, but the Ten Commandments are the rules that God wants us to follow.

Sven on April 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM

That’s “match shoes and handbags”. Egad I’m turning into libfreeordie!

Nutstuyu on April 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You’re becoming a cannibal?

Solaratov on April 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I triple dog dare him to make that same speech at a mosque and berate the Koran, then call the Muslims “pansy a$$es” when they react.

Coward.