Video: The great foul ball controversy

posted at 4:41 pm on April 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. We missed this yesterday but that’s for the best, as the ensuing 24 hours gave the key players in this little national drama time to speak up and provide the missing context. Let me set the scene: Two couples sitting side by side at the ballpark, one with a three-year-old decked out in full fan regalia and the other without. A foul ball is tossed into the stands and the childless couple snags it. What to do? Go watch the video at Deadspin of the aftermath as it happened. First it’s horrifying and then, when the woman poses for a picture with the ball, it’s darkly hilarious, one of the most comically vivid candy-from-a-baby scenarios you’ll ever see. No wonder the news networks picked it up. Worst human beings evah.

Or are they?

“I felt sorry for Cameron and for the other couple because they were made out to be such horrible, cold-hearted people and I didn’t get that impression from them at all,” said Cameron’s mother, Crystal. “They were very sweet and they talked to Cameron a lot.”

The couple was attending their first baseball game and are getting married Saturday. They actually offered the toddler the ball, but his parents turned down the gift

“I never once thought that they should have given him the ball,” said Crystal. “We’re trying to teach him he doesn’t get everything every time.”

The “childless” couple actually isn’t childless at all. They’ve got seven kids between them and had to issue a statement after the game when the media started hassling them:

“[We were] honestly unaware of the situation of the little boy sitting next to us last night since we were so caught up in the excitement and moment of being at our first Rangers baseball game together,” they said in a statement given to ABC Dallas afiliate WFAA. “Please know that as the parents of a soon to be combined family of seven children, Shannon and I completely understand how upsetting a situation like that can be for a young child surrounded by the chaos and excitement of a ball game. Again, we would never intentionally taunt and/or wish to see a young child disappointed in such a way.”

The little guy ended up with a ball anyway when another fan took pity on him and tossed him one. All’s well that ends well! End of story, right? Not quite: There’s no baseball detail too small that fans of the game won’t vigorously debate it, so now it’s time for the obligatory “do you have to give the kid next to you a foul ball if you catch one?” argument. The correct answer: Yes, of course, unless the “kid” is, say, old enough to shave. Good lord, people. If little AP had gotten that close to a foul ball at a Mets game as a kid only to have it snatched away by some guy, I’d need therapy to this day. On top of the therapy I already need for being a Mets fan, I mean.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The kid will have his revenge when hot girl runs through balding, mid-aged guy’s money and splits. The only thing he’ll have left is knowing half the world thinks he’s the worst person evah.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Well I must be a witch. What does a three year old know about foul balls to begin with? When did little AP start attending Mets games?

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Sorry if this has already been said.

I seen situations where a foul ball or home run is hit into the stands, and the parent of a child several rows away from the adult who caught the ball send little Johnny down to ‘beg’ the ball out of the catcher’s hands.

This irks me quite a bit. They could buy little Johnny a ball. (They could drive their $80,000 SUV to a sporting goods store the next day and spend $4.) Instead, they feel it’s better to “shame” the person into giving it to him. These type of parents make me sick.

I know it’s a stretch, but it seems at least a little illustrative of our society today.

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

One Day At a Phillies Game; this is still my favorite child/foul ball/parents video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KnIRwqb7wo

GreenBlade on April 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

ZOMG, the frickin’ METS?!?!?

When you have the YANKEES in the same town?!?!?!

First, it explains the “Eeyore”.

Secondly, no wonder we’ve gone to Hell in a handbag.

tree hugging sister on April 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM

ZOMG, the frickin’ METS?!?!?

When you have the YANKEES in the same town?!?!?!

Yeah. I have a soul. Baseball-wise, at least.

Allahpundit on April 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Reminds me of a Jack Handy quote:

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. “Oh, no,” I said. “Disneyland burned down.” He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”

-Jack Handy

Ditkaca on April 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

~~~~~~~~~~

OMG, that is hilarious! My dad would have done something like that to me, growing up! He would always try to convince me each year that the Wizard of Oz director had the ending changed, and this year, the witch would kill Toto…I would always whine and worry about Toto all movie, but deep down I loved it…I guess I inherited that twisted sense of humor from him…one year when my daughter was about 8, we saw a huge spider in the yard. About 5 minutes later, I pretended to see it in her hair and made a big fuss, and she FLIPPED OUT! She finally managed to laugh about it once I convinced her I was joking, and we still laugh about it to this day at almost 18 (she only needed a few years of therapy!!). All that said, I think that woman totally knew that kid wanted the ball, and SHE should have given it to the little guy…I applaud the parents’ attitude, though, and I think they’re being magnanimous and generous to the couple next to them, because I can’t believe they bought
the whole, ‘ caught up in the moment’ story.

ellifint on April 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

OMG! This kid’s life is ruined! OMG! The people who took the ball are probably evil conseravtives!

Metro on April 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

They didn’t need to give their ball to the spoiled brat.

Dollayo on April 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

My Nephew was 3 at a NHL game and a one of the refs skated over and dropped him a Puck, now he is 13 and he does not even remember it, I say screw the Kids they won’t even remember it.

Patricksp on April 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Metro on April 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Tea-party types, no doubt!

(But they’re gonna be ‘splanin it for a long time to come.)

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Geezus.

Give me a BREAK!!

This is RIDICULOUS.

He’s a TODDLER, people! They pitch fits about EVERYTHING!

If you GIVE THEM THEIR WAY, they end up becoming BARACK OBAMA, complete NARCISSISTS, who think the WORLD REVOLVES AROUND THEM.

mountainaires on April 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Reminds me of a Jack Handy quote:

-Jack Handy
Ditkaca on April 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

~~~~~~~~~~
the whole, ‘ caught up in the moment’ story.
ellifint on April 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I’d point out how awful you two are, but I still snicker about how one of my bros would try to tell a nephew & niece about how he accidentally shot the Easter Bunny.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

You should familiarize yourself with irony, your post is swelling with it.

You made a flippant and insulting remark generalizing all those who go to sporting events and he responded in kind. You have no place acting indignant when you took the first shot.

You are no different or better than the stereotype you criticize.

Daemonocracy on April 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I feel for the parents of the little boy. They wanted to use the moment to teach their son that you don’t always get what you want and then a little while later, some idiot gives the boy a ball.

Future OWSer…

“See, mom and dad, I do get everything I want if I scream and cry loud enough.”

Fallon on April 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Just another example of political correctness gone insane. What does a three year old know about something he can’t comprehend. To say the couple was heartless was insane. It would have been completely ignorant to give something to the three year old that he had no way of knowing what he was crying about. If his mother had of stuck his pacifier in his mouth, this would have been a non-story. If the kid’s parents were so idiotic to think the child deserved something because he cried, he will make their lives a living hell and they will deserve every minute of it. Justice comes in all sizes.

volsense on April 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The Liberals are probably scheming to pass a regulation which requires “equal balls” for kids of each ethnic/racial group.

landlines on April 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Wow, you could have made that catch at 3 years old? I’m impressed.

Hmmm…first off the kid wouldn’t have caught the ball, it would have to have been one of his parents. So just because they’re lousy catchers he deserves to get it? Give me a break.

Deanna on April 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

volsense on April 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You’re absolutely right. If you reward kids who cry and throw a fit, you are ceding control of your life to them….as well as depriving them of the ability to grow up.

landlines on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You should familiarize yourself with irony, your post is swelling with it.

You are no different or better than the stereotype you criticize.

Daemonocracy on April 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Oh that’s nothing from that one. You need to check this out from the condescending fool who say’s “we aren’t reading the right stuff on our Kindles”.

How e-books are leading Americans to read more

I have no words.

JPeterman on April 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Boy, America fixates on the dumbest sh*t.

rubberneck on April 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I’ve been going to Giants games since I was a little boy. I never caught a foul ball (or homer) and nobody ever gave me one either.

If I ever do catch one why should I feel obligated to give it to some strange kid? The little brat will probably trash it anyway.

BTW: I always take my glove with me to games just in case.

myiq2xu on April 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

And unlike you I try to use proper grammar and spelling.

This is the sort of knuckle-dragging moron that is typical among sports fans.

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The ultimate ‘class’ card. Well done! Show your ass. Or is that asss?

Limerick on April 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

This is crap.

First of all, as I understood it, if a PLAYER tosses a ball that out of play to someone in the stands it’s largely understood that the ball was meant for the nearest kid to whom the ball was tossed. There’s no rule saying that has to happen, but blowbama hasn’t written that exec order yet I guess.

As far as catching a foul ball or home run ball, anyone is fair game for catching it and keeping it. There’s no rules or expectations, to hell with the bleeding hearts. If I catch a ball that was just knocked out of play I’m keeping it, screw you, your newscasters, your cameras, and your commentaries. If you make it an issue I’ll give you the ball alright, but the surgeon is going to have to remove it from your rectum for you.

Will all the bleeding hearts stop beating now please? I’m quite sick of all the CO2 and methane they continuously spew.

Wolfmoon on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

THAT….is a very LOVING Mother for a little boy. She loves him so much she is gonna make sure he can deny himself and be ..The Man. No student loans for this kid. He’s goin to do it the Palin Way without the taxpayer dime.

Unlike…a certain affirmative action, Punahoe High School, silver-spoon lazy Prez who vacations all the time.

For once, I’d like to see somebody walk up to him during a speech, grab his teleprompter, and destroy it right in front of him. Boo-hoo!

KirknBurker on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

myiq2xu on April 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Here is how you get a ball at a game – get there early the gates usually open an hour before game time. Both teams will take BP – lots of foul balls & HR’s will be hit, those are easy to get. They are BP balls not game balls but they have all the grass stains etc & make great balls to get signatures on.
Now if you want to get it signed go stand at the fence near the dugout of the team you want signatures from, it helps if you have a kid & then position yourself near a pretty woman, this way a player can sign a ball for a kid and talk to a pretty woman at the same time. If you want a pitchers signature stand near the bullpens, they will pass by after warm-up and some stop & sign balls.
Good luck!

batterup on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

landlines on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Yep. We are born OWS.

It takes tough-loving parents to raise us to TEA adults.

KirknBurker on April 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Democrats?

KOOLAID2 on April 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

lorien1973 on April 27, 2012, at 5:22 PM

OK – you’re just evil today – but thet thar was funny, I don’t care who ya’are….

But I wouldn’t give a ball to a whiny kid – I’d give it to a kid who looks like he or she would appreciate it.

dentarthurdent on April 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

This is just another example of how our society has transitioned from being by adults, for adults, and about adults to being All About The Children.
What a load of crap.

TinMan13 on April 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

It turns out the spoiled little snotbag has already got one. I bet he didn’t catch that one himself either.

Cameron, who took home a ball from a game last season, was so sure that he’d get another souvenir that not getting that one was too much to handle, Shores said.

myiq2xu on April 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

So for example, I get a foul ball but I am not allowed to keep it because I am to old
(B%ll$#it on that).

I look around me to give it to a kid or be humiliated by the sports media. Who do I give it to:

-a 10 year old girl with a mitt on her hand
-a 5 year old boy crying because he wants the ball
-a 14 year old boy in a wheel chair
-my 16 year old son who has never gotten a foul ball, who I had to playfully shove out of the way before he would have got it

Ok PC police, who gets the ball?

mechkiller_k on April 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Whatcat, your brother sounds like my kind of guy! As John Candy said in Home Alone, “Kids are resilient!”…

ellifint on April 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Oh please- those two adults looked like two totally self absorbed morons. How sad that they felt the need to keep that ball. I don’t believe for a minute that they didn’t know the kid was upset.

It’s pretty sad that there’s so much bashing of THE KID in this post!

BettyRuth on April 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Somebody go to the video tape and break it down:

1. Shane (aka Mitch Moreland) tosses a hunk of Otis (aka ‘the ball’)
to the Walkers (aka ‘the fans’)…

2. Walker who gets ‘ball’ fights for it and digs it out of scrum in
the row in front of him, Comes up with his back to Carl (aka ‘the
kid’) and immediately hands it to his soon to be wife (aka
‘ABBL’).

3. Carl (kid) reaches for ball but is distracted by what’s on
jumbo-tron (so are all Walkers) and after seeing this starts
crying.

4. Yankee announcer Kay (aka ‘the old Hershel’) whines.

Now Congress must get involved as this ‘ball-tossing’ creates an unnecessary hazard in the stands (or does it (?): “The bearer of the Ticket assumes all risk and danger incidental to the sport of baseball” ).

We’re all infected.

1244 on April 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

By all means, fans should be forced to surrender the ball to this whining child.

Just don’t be surprised, when the little whiner grows up, moves into a tent in the park and poops in the street.

TitularHead on April 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I don’t believe for a minute that they didn’t know the kid was upset.

It’s pretty sad that there’s so much bashing of THE KID in this post!

BettyRuth on April 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Everyone in that whole section knew that the little brat was upset which is why I would never have given him the ball. This was a perfect time for his parents to teach him a life lesson that you don’t always get want you want and you never get what you want by screaming and crying. However that boat has sailed because he already knows that it works on them.

Rio Linda Refugee on April 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on April 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Huh? You must not have even bothered to read this blog entry or watched the video.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on April 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Why was this toddler, “a little brat”? What did you see that gave you that information?

BettyRuth on April 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

True story: On my 13th birthday I got a baseball glove, and that day my father took me to a Tigers game where they had “bat day”. We’re walking out the door and my dad asks me why I’m bringing it. I said “never know when you might need it dad!” So all the kids got a bat at the game. As we sat way out in left field at Tiger stadium even the pop ups to the infield looked like they were coming right at me at first. Though in the second inning, I see the left fielder running back toward us. The ball goes just over my head and bounces off the hands of a man the row behind me, and I leap up and catch it in my brand new glove, on the fly. I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face.

All the adults around me wanted to look at the ball, and I’d show them but never let it out of my sight!

moo on April 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I do not know if this was said because I do not have time to read all the posts.

Here is my 2 cents worth.

Yes, you give the foul ball’s to the kids… why you might ask? I go by this line of thinking:

Us “grown ups” already like or love the game. Now what we as fans need to do, in order to keep “replenishing” the fan base is get our kids to love/like the game. What better way to get em into the game with a foul ball? What kid does not go to the game with the idea that maybe, just maybe that day would be their lucky day and they would catch one?

I have givin foul balls to other kids when I do not have mine along, I know a few other fans that have done the same thing… just the right thing to do.

watertown on April 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I think the kid is crying not because he didn’t get the ball, but because his old man is whipping him around like a rag doll trying to get it in the first place.

Paul507 on April 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Life is full of disappointments.

The little tyke would really be crying if his parents would explain his indentured servitude to pay for Barry the Dog Eating Precident’s spending on his cronies and vote buying schemes.

Robert Jensen on April 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Flora Duh on April 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Yes, reading is fundamental.

The parents should have stood their ground and taught him he doesn’t get everything he wants. Life is unfair.

ButterflyDragon on April 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Someone should have grabbed the second ball as it was tossed to the kid from the dugout.

justltl on April 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Patrick needs to poll this one:

A. Give the stupid kid the ball

B. Keep the stupid ball

C. Sarah Palin

TitularHead on April 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM

They didn’t need to give their ball to the spoiled brat.

Dollayo on April 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

If you watch the video, the boys parents don’t seem to spoil him at all. They wanted the couple to keep the ball, and refused it when it was offered.

Sorry to let content get in the way of your rapid-fire, information-free commentary. Try at least perusing the actual main body of the articles in the future.

joewm315 on April 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I’d have plunked the kid in the head with the ball, laughed as he cried harder, then threw it in the trash so he could see me do it. And then I’d laugh and laugh and laugh.

lorien1973 on April 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’ll bet anything you wouldn’t, tough guy.

joewm315 on April 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

BettyRuth on April 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Eh, I’m thinking the male half isn’t going to do a whole of boasting on beating out 3 year olds at catching fouls. Not something you’d really wanna put on a resume.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

“It’s come to this, has it? Those poor people have to give the ball THEY CAUGHT to the toddler who pitched a FIT?!”

mountainaires on April 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I am confused. Sounds like your post was meant for the article on the OWS demonstrations.

OBQuiet on April 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Man, I love how a lot of people are jumping to conclusions that the kid is a spoiled brat. Easy to tell who has kids and who doesn’t.

Toddlers act like that weather they’re spoiled or not. If the kid was 12 and pitching a fit then yeah, I’d say he was spoiled. I have a three year old so I know what its like.

I could care less about if the couple gave the kid the ball (anyone who’s a real fan of the game knows when a player throws it into the stands, its for the kid…give it to the kid). Besides, it seems the parents didn’t give in, good for them.

Seriously, ya’ll need to lighten up around here.

Lay-Z on April 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

One more reason not to attend games. Why risk being humiliated on TV by announcers that are idiots?

I wonder if the couple sues? Slander? Intentional infliction of emotional distress? I mean, having to deal with that excrement just before your wedding would be a horrible emotional toll and could even ruin the marriage.

At least that is what a successful lawyer would argue.

OBQuiet on April 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Ever sit next to a toddler at a ball game?

You know who the doofus is in this story? The parents of screaming-meemy Cameron. Who the hell takes a terrible-two to a 4 hour ballgame?

1. I’d be pissed if I had to sit next to Cameron for 3-4 hours.
2. Since Cameron really has no idea what a baseball is, other than the one he owns one somewhere, at home in the toy box..and DADDY! That man has my baseball…wahh! I wouldn’t give it to him either.
3. This incident will turn Cameron into a hardcore conservative, instead of reinforcing the infantile notion of being owed everything.

BobMbx on April 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yeah. I have a soul. Baseball-wise, at least.

Allahpundit

Puddin’. That’s not a soul. It’s a treatable, medically recognized “condition”. I think, casting back in my memory banks for most of my Mets lore, I think mostly “loser” with, like, two “Holy Sh*t, they WON!” thrown in for good measure.

Soul is giving bread to the poor and feeling bad if you said something mean. Rooting for the Mets is…what did Maverick just say about Obama?

Oh, yeah. “Pathetic”.

That was it.

Pathetic.

I could add “delusional”, but…I like you.

tree hugging sister on April 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM

The kid did not catch the ball.

lilium479 on April 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM

myiq2xu on April 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

So…all those bleeding hearts who think we should “redistribute” the ball from the Haves to the Have-nots—have it exactly backwards.

The kid is the Have; the adults are the Have-Nots. That’s rich.

rwenger43 on April 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Now the kid has got a ball signed by the team and an official jersey. Courtesy of the Texas Rangers. Rangers PR are not about to let anyone but Yankee fans leave crying.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on April 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM

The kid was already crying for Pete’s sake. I’ll let the greatest philosopher of all time supply my retort:

stout77 on April 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

And another:

stout77 on April 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I want to see liberal4life steal your ball AP. Just to see you cry.

rubberneck on April 28, 2012 at 3:53 AM

As Rolling Stones sang, “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”. Think of it as a free life lesson, you people who are outraged at this. He’ll be fine. The sad thing is that he and the rest of his generation will be paying for Obama’s fiscal fiasco when they become taxpayers.

oddjob on April 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on April 27, 2012 at 8:48 PM

BettyRuth on April 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What? YOU didn’t notice?

…it’s clearly stamped right between the brats tonsils !! see it?

“I’m a Brat”

BigSven on April 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM

If only someone had given Bloomberg some balls Noo Yawk City Hall Kremlin wouldn’t be so screwed up nowadays.

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I am so glad for the context here. Because my first thought was, “This is the problem with America: everyone thinks the crying baby should get whatever he wants, because he’s a crying baby. Tough noogies, kid. Life ain’t ‘fair’.” Glad to see the parents understand that.

GWB on April 28, 2012 at 7:50 AM

And unlike you I try to use proper grammar and spelling.

This is the sort of knuckle-dragging moron that who is typical among sports fans.

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

lol

hawkdriver on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

And unlike you I try to use proper grammar and spelling.

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Fixed it for both.

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

hawkdriver on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hiya, Hawk.

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Pardon my being a smartass this fine morning!

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hey, we’re all about well grammar. :) Truly, “that” for “who” (or “whom”) always jumps out at me. Or I.

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM

As I once said to my very particular high school English teacher many years later: “You sure learned me to talk good.”

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:34 AM

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but wouldn’t that be larnt and goodly?

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 8:38 AM

… “skooled” me to “gab” “swell.”

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I’ve now been skooled. :) Thanks for a fun beginning to my day.

DrMagnolias on April 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Fixed it for both.
viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Needs just a bit more fixin’ via adding a comma after “moron”.

whatcat on April 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Change “among” to “of” and no further punctuation needed. It’s Saturday and Warner probably just left Friday’s workplace so I’m more flexible on this weighty matter. (Said in mock serious tone.)

viking01 on April 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Me? I’m a mother. I would have given the ball to the kid without a second’s thought. I’m an adult: If I want a ball, I will buy one. There is a difference between adults and children.

As to taunting kids or teasing little ones to the point where they’re crying, that’s not funny, that’s sadistic. Older kids can understand jokes, little ones, not so much. I had a parent who made “I shot the Easter Bunny” jokes when I was preschool age. It ruined Easter. No, I didn’t sit there and cry, I was just heartbroken and thought that he was a jerk. I still think that he was a jerk, all of these years later. I also think that parents who do this to SMALL children are jerks. And some will absolutely remember.

Nope, kids can’t all get what they want. If someone else catches the ball, it’s their’s fair and square and that is what I would teach them. At the same time I would know that that it’s so little skin off of someone’s anything to pass a ball to a kid who would value it so much more than the adult.

It’s not redistribution of wealth as no one would be forced to act. It is, however, a random act of kindness. Charity begins in the heart, I could never look at a three year old and think that a toy is better suited in my possession than their’s, whether or not I birthed em.

It would be a lot of fun to catch a fly ball at a game. It would be even more fun to see the look of joy on that kid’s face when I passed it to him. And knowing that he would probably go home and sleep with the thing under his pillow..compared to an adult who would toss it in the back of his car or give it to the dog.

GeeWhiz on April 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The fact this “incident” (someone gag me with a spoon PLEASE!) ever hit the Lamestream media in the first place further illustrates the slow crumbling destruction of America from within – this AINT news folks and WHO CARES who got the ball?

Sounds like that Mom has her head on straight and KUDOS to her for making ‘good parenting lemonade’ out of what aint even one tiny lemon seed……

Katfish on April 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

My take, for what it’s worth: caught a hockey puck at a game one time; not a clean catch as it was going over my head, but I stuck my hand up, blocked it and as it was going to ground was able to pull it in. I heard the guy behind me say “Sorry, Honey – maybe the next one”. Looked over my shoulder and saw a little girl – maybe 7 – looking disappointed but in no way traumatized; my guess was that Dad was about to catch it and the drunk in front of him stole his thunder. I really felt bad – not so much that the girl didn’t get her puck, but that her dad was denied the chance to be the hero for a night. So, I (hopefully) salvaged the moment with a lesson on The Kindness of Strangers: I gave the girl the puck.

And no, Dad did not buy me a round as thanks…

affenhauer on April 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Forget these idiotic kids games. So-called “professional” sports is stupid and the biggest waste of time, money and brainpower of anything in American culture…They are stupid for going to a sports event. And so is everyone else.

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I don’t like sports either, Warner Todd, but you’re missing something important here.

Sports are a way for people to bond, pure and simple. They give very, very different people a fairly innocuous, shared topic to discuss. Everyone can make nice small talk about the game last night and feel connected to each other. For those of us that don’t like sports, it’s a baffling waste of time, but it’s just a way for people to have something in common, like music or good books.

tl;dr: Don’t mock other people’s Quidditch teams. You never know if you’ll want to be friends with those people someday.

we can’t all be level 16 dungeon and dragons labrynthmasters like you.

DrW on April 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Don’t mock that which you do not understand, friend. The geeks shall inherit the earth.

Labrynthmasters? Never heard that word, but it sounds neat. Like a ’70s hair metal band or something.

LunaLovegood on April 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ever watch the last episode of “Freaks And Geeks”?

LunaLovegood on April 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Heh. And good points on sports as bonding and a “common language” of sorts.

whatcat on April 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Wrong. You don’t have to give the ball to the kid. Nor need you explain why.

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

That’s not a stretch at all. Indeed, whoever gave the crying kid a substitute ball did the lad a huge disservice. One life lesson was substituted with another. For perhaps the first time in his young life, the kid might not have received what he wanted. Instead, he learned that if he cries hard and loud enough, someone will give him what he wants.

EconomicNeocon on April 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I neither have a basement nor play video games. I grew up a long time ago. Things 12-year-olds do don’t interest me.

And unlike you I try to use proper grammar and spelling.

This is the sort of knuckle-dragging moron that is typical among sports fans.

Warner Todd Huston on April 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Isn’t it amazing, though, that most people who use proper grammar and spelling manage to do so without being insufferable boors; and without bringing it to everyone’s attention as though they deserve a special award.
You might strive for that; rather than engage in ad hominems that make you a laughingstock.

Solaratov on April 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The parents were right. The kid does not “deserve” the ball. At a ball game, you get lucky or not. Giving the kid a ball is the first step to join participation trophy generation. Life lesson, sometimes you get lucky sometines you don’t. Live with it. The kids parent are right on the mark! Keep it up.

StevC on April 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM

It really says a lot about how silly our culture has become that a story such as this would become national news.

Reggie1971 on April 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM