Farewell, Newt: a final visit to the zoo

posted at 6:51 pm on April 27, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Newt Gingrich has made visiting local zoos a staple of his campaign touring — no doubt he feels he’s in his natural wonkish habitat posing for photo ops amongst the flora and fauna. This morning in North Carolina, he took his final donor-funded trip to the zoo with the press — NBC’s Andrew Rafferty provided a (pretty hilarious) play-by-play via his Twitter stream (h/t Twitchy):

Photobucket

Newt Gingrich’s decision to wait a week to officially drop out of the presidential race was kind of a non sequitur (but then, it fits with Newt’s normally quizzical attitude of  “you need to get on my level” pomposity, so… wash). He’s been making the final campaign rounds this week at some fun events, and has expressed his determination to continue to help the GOP defeat Barack Obama in November:

“We’re going to stay very, very active,” Gingrich told supporters in North Carolina on Wednesday. “We’re working out the details of our transition and will have information for the press over the next couple of days.

“I am committed to this party,” he added. “I am committed to defeating [President] Obama. We’re will try to find ways to be helpful.”

Here’s what you can do to help the Republican party, Newt: don’t. You overstayed your welcome in the presidential race by a long shot, frequently looked absurd, and constantly undercut the GOP’s credibility. I lamented about this when it happened, but the day that the “true conservative” Newt Gingrich committed the one unforgivable political sin — throwing free enterprise under the bus — was among the most disillusioning I’ve yet experienced (but… I’m still young. I’m sure I can look forward to plenty more of that in the future, womp womp.) While I’ll admit that he had several shining, brilliant moments of insight when even I cheered, the conservative cause should be all too glad to see the back of him. Tim Carney, at least, seems to agree:

Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign — based on absurd promises, fueled by identity politics and riddled with dishonesty — accomplished little besides undermining the cause of free enterprise. It was the most damaging assault on American conservativism since the second term of George W. Bush.

Gingrich tried to change the meaning of “free enterprise,” “socialist” and “conservative” to justify his own corporate-welfare lobbying and to attack Romney’s career as a capitalist. By subverting the language, he weakened the cause of limited government and free enterprise, confusing the conservative base and the news media — and eroding the theoretical framework on which free-market arguments are made.

Also, by subjugating policy to politics and by shooting from the hip, Gingrich handed Democrats rhetorical ammunition to use against Romney and any Republican who makes a free-market argument.

Mitt Romney may not be the conservative champion we’ve all been waiting for (and how!), but in an election year in which the economy needs to be the primary issue and the very fiscal future of the United States hangs in the balance, what America needs right now is a businessman who truly understands and respects free markets as a powerful force for worldwide prosperity, wealth, happiness, efficiency, innovation, and all manner of good things that big government can only achieve at a sub-par level, if at all. With ‘conservatives’ like Newt Gingrich, who needs liberals? If he does continue to act as a conservative voice in an attempt to ‘help’ the Republican cause, let’s hope he uses his wonkishness for good and keeps the damaging blather on lockdown.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When you’ve championed the cause of conservatism and singlehandedly built the GOP on a national level like Newt did, and wake up to realize that after all those decades of hard work, John McCain and Mitt Romney are all you have to show for it, I’m inclined to believe that someone like Newt deserves to hang out with the lemurs or whoever he wants for as long as he wants/as long as people give him money.

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Newt Gingrich was the most conservative Speaker of the House we’ve had in 50 years. He fought for and passed a Balanced Budget while a Democrat was President. He also championed Welfare reform, fighting Bill Clinton all the way.

Newt isn’t perfect, far from it. But to throw him into the “Rino” den while claiming Romney is acceptable after passing a heavily Federally funded, Mandated Healthcare system that was/is the framework for Obama car is ridiculous.

Obama Car ObamaCare

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM

kingsjester on April 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Scorpions…..The Zoo!

“The Zoo”

The job is done and I go out
Another boring day
I leave it all behind me now
So many worlds away

(sarc)

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Wow.

I take back everything I ever said Tina. This tripe is far worse than your worst.

Erika, I know you are too young to have first hand knowledge of Newt in 1980′s and 90′s … But than I am too young to know Silent Cal … but I learned about him.

Repeating things you heard that you think are CW isn’t wisdom and it sure ain’t analysis. It adds nothing to the conversation. And it belittles your opinion.

MarkCasper on April 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

what America needs right now is a businessman

Yawnn. Tired cliche used ad nauseaum to justify the Romney candidacy.

If true, we might as well nominate Michael Bloomberg.

Just because someone is a successful businessman tells me absolutely NOTHING whether he will be a good president from a conservative point of view.

Norwegian on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Amen.

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Newt’s had one to many dinners out. Ok, 50 to many.

rubberneck on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Well,at least,ahem,the opposition are behind cages!!
(sarc)

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I never expected to support him at all at the beginning of this primary, I so hated the couch moment among others. For a brief period of time he had changed my mind, made me think perhaps he had overcome those previous mistakes… unfortunate that he once again stepped in it and the moment was lost.

Fare thee well Newt, you had more than fifteen minutes of fame to your name.

Ukiah on April 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Norwegian on April 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Translation: Even though we have publicly eviscerated you, your wife,your record as the most conservative Speaker of the House in decades, your employers, your supporters, and questioned your very core as a Conservative, if you play nice and do what we say we might let you paint our New Moderate GOP clubhouse. (Pats Newt on head.)

Not a big fan of “Erika Johnsen” so far.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I’m sad about Newt, and I’m still not thrilled with Mitt.

(And I’m typical. So, to reiterate, Mitt needs to not tack to the center now, but tack to, or at least reinforce, the right. He needs to redouble his efforts to get conservatives on board. I think it’s really going to be ugly if he doesn’t. Mitt may be in a kind of bubble where he hears the establishment voices and the belated endorsements, and thinks it’s time to tack to the center. Far from it. Mitt must shore up base, or risk sinking.)

I got on Newt’s bandwagon after he won SC. What caught my eye was his written reaction to the State of the Union. Outstanding. But just a few days later in a FL debate he was asked why it is he who should take on Obama, just the thing he addressed so forcefully in his piece of writing, but in that debate he came up flat. This was the key area where he was to shine. (Later we’re told that he was tired.) I started to question the logic of going with Newt at that point. Too sad..

anotherJoe on April 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Loved Newt on a lot of levels. Pissed off at him on a few more.

Overall, he’s someone worth having on our side. I hope Romney taps him for some advisory position in his administration.

Rixon on April 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Here’s what you can do to help the Republican party, Newt: don’t.

Somebody – give the guy a gold watch!

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Kids writing about free enterprise as political ‘pundits’ without having any extensive experience in the business world makes me chuckle. We as conservatives love free enterprise. That doesn’t mean we can’t ever criticize how one goes about it or that because he’s a businessman, we should just forget all of Romney’s past policies as a politician.

I hate blind ‘conservatives’ just as much as I hate blind liberals.

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Romney=Gingrich=Santorum=Obama.

rickv404 on April 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The thing is, what money does he live on now? He had to pay off the Tiffany’s bill and he doesn’t have a job at Fox anymore.

He pretty much burned all the bridges as far as his contacts in DC, when everyone who knew him reacted with panic to the prospect of his getting the nomination… pretty sure I saw a little boy pointing and saying something about nakedness…

Who is going to hire a naked lobbyist, with no influence now?

He still has a few supporters… I hope they will give him some yard work or something. He can’t have much personal money left and his campaign is deeply in debt.

I bet he didn’t think it would turn out like this.

petunia on April 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I didn’t know DUmmies were now posting at HA.

When you slash the Federal budget and reform an entitlement like Newt did, get back to me. Until then, this useless anti-Newt dribble full of DNC talking points is a waste of space here.

ChicagoJewishGuy on April 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Looking forward to seeing Newt on “The Biggest Loser”.

My collie says:

You could stand to lose some weight yourself, CC.

Nag, nag, nag. Stupid dog.

CyberCipher on April 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Who is Erika Johnsen and why does a supposedly conservative blog bring her in to trash-talk the last conservative in the race? Ed and Allah, you know very well why people kept up hope until the very end. How about having some class and treating the candidate with respect instead of kicking a man (and by extension his supporters) when he’s down? Next time you decide to great conservative candidate whose campaign is already over, do it yourselves instead of bringing in some no-name guest blogger.

joe_doufu on April 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM

…decide to *insult* a…

joe_doufu on April 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Unfortunately, utter morons refuse to recall recent history and face the facts.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

po

rtlandon on April 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Add me too.
Kick somebody when they are down.
no class

MontanaMmmm on April 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What America needs right now is someone with a titanium spine, a true leader, with true convictions and love of country and the Constitution. What the Republicans have is a businessman and what the Democrats have a progressive Marxist. It’s a choice but it isn’t necessarily what America needs right now.

Fallon on April 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Awesome analysis!

+100

melle1228 on April 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Unfortunately, utter morons refuse to recall recent history and face the facts.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Expand on this more. Please.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I didn’t really hear too much about Newt in the last few months, after Santorum became Romney’s chief rival and took pretty much the rest of the press coverage. I expect that trend to continue.

On a lighter note, the link has “Giuliana” instead of “Giuliani”. I thought, “what does Bill Rancic’s wife have to do with this?” :)

22044 on April 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I don’t know which one to be pissed at: Newt Or Rick.

They should have gotten together and drawn straws or something.

If we would have had one of the two drop out several months ago, we wouldn’t have etch-a-sketch to worry about.

Conservative have so much to learn. Ego’s need to get out of the way. It’s not about you. it’s about our Country.

davidk on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Can I get an Amen? Seriously. All of the above is true and Gingrich IMO tarnished his reputation from nearly the beginning of his campaign. He pompously declared his nomination inevitable in the first weeks. Whined like nobody’s business over the Iowa results. Whined again when his organization was so bad he failed to make the Virginia ballot. Demanded Santorum drop out for unity or something. And did overextend his campaign.

See what I did there? I outlined the problems Newt had in his campaign without once going into his personal foibles including multiple wives and snuggling with Nancy Pelosi.

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Very well written article.

Yeps.

Conservatives had to kick Newt out of leadership 15 years ago. But he never hurt the conservative cause as much as he did with this campaign.

I’ve been following Republican primaries at all levels for years and I’ve never seen such an obnoxious attack on fundamental conservative principles as the ones Gingrich waged this year. It was awful.

Then again, politics is no place for resentments. Newt is too toxic and disliked by the average voter to have any kind of major public role in the campaign, but he can help as an adviser and consultant.

joana on April 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I am glad to see that Newt still has supporters here who recognize the good that he had contributed to the conservative cause. I add my own hearty “Amen!” to your fine words on his behalf.

onlineanalyst on April 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Gingrich turned out to be a big government hack.

He could only keep pretending while he was so far behind no one paid attention to his actual record and life.

If you don’t like it fine. But Gingrich proved to like Commie policies as much as anything else.

And the truth told by those around during Newt’s supposed conservative years… proved he never really believed a thing he said. He was no more faithful to his own conservative ideas than his pledges to the women in his life.

But he did accomplish something I never thought I’d see… a group of “Christians” give a standing O to adultery. Now that was some kind of mind control… worthy of Hitler.

petunia on April 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Romney should appoint Newt head of NASA.

And make Obama Ambassador to Pockeestahn.

profitsbeard on April 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Championed???????? You have goooooooooot to be kidding. He was and still is a Bully Rino. Nothing more…Nothing less.

rich801 on April 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Rixon on April 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Newt is great at the big ideas and expressing the vision. He is less great when it comes to execution. He reminds me of a consultant who comes in and tells you everything wrong with your organization. Then, when you say “great insight, fix it” the consultant responds with “Oh! We really don’t do that.”

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

+ another 1.

I’m not a Newt fan, either, but credit where it’s due.

notropis on April 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

If true, we might as well nominate Michael Bloomberg.

Norwegian on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

really, pretty sure Bloomberg is not of a conservative persuasion, but quite deep into the azz of the sitting president…

jimver on April 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

+1000

Gee look at all the Mittwits who show up to pile on with another crappy Hot Air “conservative” pundit.
Bring back Michelle. This site has turned into junk.

Garym on April 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I like Newt. Didn’t support him in the campaign, but he’s pretty reliably conservative.

Perfect? No.
RINO? Also no.

Mr. Prodigy on April 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

“I’m going to be the nominee. It’s very hard not to look at the recent polls and think the odds are very high I’m going to be the nominee.”…….
………………..Comrade Newt

JPeterman on April 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

davidk on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

A couple of comments:

First, Romney’s wins were not just a fluke or result of deep pockets. He’s been quietly assembling an organization for over a year. Gingrich got in late and had such a bad orginization that the one robocall I got as he was attempting to get enough signatures to qualify for the Virginia primary was two days after the event (really).

Secondly, Gingrich and Santorum may be ideologically more conservative than Romney but they too have strengths and weaknesses. Santorum, frankly was unelectable because of his stances on social issues. Do we really want to re-debate Terri Schiavo? Gingrich was very liberal on certain issues after leaving Congress including the snuggling with Nancy Pelosi. In short you may attack Romney but don’t for a minute think that the GOP would have unanimously rallied around either Gingrich or Santorum.

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Gingrich turned out to be a big government hack.

petunia on April 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

That’s rich, coming from a RomneyCare supporter.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Newt’s had one to many dinners out. Ok, 50 to many.

rubberneck on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

…I think he was petting his lunch!

KOOLAID2 on April 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

At least Newt knew when an MSM Verbal Sound-Bitey Ambush was being set-up,and I really,really hope,that Mittens is up to the task,and
doesn’t walk into an endless Lefty ambushs,as there will be Operati
ves goading him,for some sound-bitey gold in this upcoming election

in,

The Political War For Americas Soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM

People have no sense of history Portlandon, even recent history. It’s all been retold by the Progressives of the Department of Education and all Newt ever was is a grumpster. If it weren’t for Newt, Clinton would have accomplished more for turning us into a socialist society than Obama has because people liked Clinton. Newt stopped progressives in their tracks & turned back the hands of time for a while. And now we have Bohner.

batterup on April 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Geez, looks like your article had real appeal to the paid Romney shills here. Way to go, Erika. Way.To.Go. ///

Newt’s paid his dues more than either Romney or you, kid.

Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Unfortunately, utter morons refuse to recall recent history and face the facts.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Expand on this more. Please.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Only an out and out RINO could somehow claim that Newt is one after his well recorded achievements.

I am sure you mis-read my post :-)

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Funny, we aren’t unanimously rallying around Romney either.

Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Translation: Even though we have publicly eviscerated you, your wife, your record as the most conservative Speaker of the House in decades, your employers, your supporters, and questioned your very core as a Conservative, if you play nice and do what we say we might let you paint our New Moderate GOP clubhouse. (Pats Newt on head.)

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

+2,000

PatriotGal2257 on April 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Add me too.
Kick somebody when they are down.
no class

MontanaMmmm on April 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I am not impressed. And yes Tina does shine in comparison.

Dr Evil on April 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Gingrich turned out to be a big government hack.

petunia on April 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

petunia:

You mean Obama,the Left wanted a MOUTHPIECE FOR THE LIBERAL PARTY
to VENT AGIANST TEAM RIGHT,after eight years of Bush!!

PERIOD,END OF STORY!!

Obama has been a CatOStrophic Failure to America,

a botched HealthScareCare….thats it!

Oh,able to Kill any American citizen,more spying….ad nausem!!

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I am sure you mis-read my post :-)

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That’s why I asked for you to expand more. I understand now.

How this “Erika Johnsen” person could pound Rino on Newt, a person who was fighting conservative Battles against the Clinton’s in the 90′s, and BEAT THEM is beyond me.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Is “angreyed” writing the articles too now? Sheesh…that was just downright nasty.

lynncgb on April 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Just a reminder: rino means Republican In Name Only. When the guy who lead the party to its first congressional majority in 4 decades isnt a Republican, who is?

I have a lot of problems with Newts baggage, with his ideological heresies and I think he should have dropped out months ago, but he is still one of the great leaders of the conservative cause and gets bashed by people who couldnt achieve half as much if they lived ten times longer. And that probably includes Mrs. Johnsen, whoever she might be…

Valkyriepundit on April 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

With ‘conservatives’ like Newt Gingrich, who needs liberals?

With writing like yours, who needs bluegill?

Night Owl on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Newt’s paid his dues more than either Romney or you, kid.

Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

THIS.

How’s it go, Womp womp.
WTH

MontanaMmmm on April 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I discovered why this “Erika Johnsen” is so foolish.

She is a Republican, not a Conservative.

She is a party person.

We are either “On the Reservation” or “Off the Reservation” depending on if you bow down to the Party.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

If I recall, and maybe my memory is fuzzy on this by now, she was all ga-ga for Romney during debates and all the in-time blogging with her comments. And so obviously against Newt. Add one more to the brown-nosing brigade, she and her ilk are the new definition of GOP. Sadly. Clueless, absolute lack of historical facts, lack of common sense, lack of any ability to think for themselves and having no idea on the subject is the new fad these days. And we’re worried about Hussein? We have an entire generation that seems to be absolutely lost. And more to come, it seems…

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I discovered why this “Erika Johnsen” is so foolish.

She is a Republican, not a Conservative.

She is a party person.

portlandon on April 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Why is she on the main page? Was she elevated from the Green Room?

Dr Evil on April 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I’m sad about Newt, and I’m still not thrilled with Mitt.

anotherJoe on April 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

anotherJoe:

I tend to agree,Mittens needs to throw the gauntlet down,and draw
the line in the sand,a distinction,of Leftys vrs. Rightys,so every
one knows who’s on whos side!!!

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I tend to agree,Mittens needs to throw the gauntlet down,and draw
the line in the sand,a distinction,of Leftys vrs. Rightys,so every
one knows who’s on whos side!!!

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Good luck with that, his camp is still deciding which way to go.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

onlineanalyst on April 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Me too.

Night Owl on April 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Dr Evil on April 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hi Dr, I wish I could stay but have plans.
It’s probably for the best because I have nothing more/good to say about this article. I’d like to talk Tester sometime, I’ll look for you.

MontanaMmmm on April 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Dr Evil on April 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hi Dr, I wish I could stay but have plans.

MontanaMmmm on April 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Yes I would too, hopefully at some point Allah or Ed will put up a Tester Post.

Dr Evil on April 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Good luck with that, his camp is still deciding which way to go.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

riddick:

And Team HopeLessNess/ChangeLessNess is watching Mittens for
that manoeuvre,ready to Flank!!

canopfor on April 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I don’t know which one to be pissed at: Newt Or Rick.

They should have gotten together and drawn straws or something.

davidk on April 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

If either Santorum or Gingrich had won the Primaries we would have a nominee who isn’t electable. We would also have a nomninee with no proven ability to turn around a failed enterprise. Your use of etch-a-sketch demonstrates an unfair mentality. Romney never used that expression.

As to your use of ego’s, before you lecture conservatives about what they have to learn, educate yourself as to the difference between the possessive and the plural.

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Just proves once again that both Dems and the establishment GOP have total anathema to conservative ideas and neither group want them anywhere near Washington.

Yeah, listening to Newt elaborate on some of his more “out there” ideas was sometimes akin to watching a plane skid off a runway, but I never doubted for a moment that he would try to do everything he could to get the country back on track.

PatriotGal2257 on April 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Republicans could nominate Jim Jeffords for POTUS and Erica Johnsen would probably find some way to laud him as the true conservative over that ‘RINO’ Newt. When conservatives leave reason at the door and simply parrot party platform, they’re no better than the tools at MSNBC.

Or maybe Erica Johnsen really thinks Romney is an acceptable conservative compared to RINO Newt. Maybe.

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM

A RINO among rhinos.

Like Mitt isn’t????

stenwin77 on April 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

When conservatives RINOs leave reason at the door and simply parrot party platform, they’re no better than the tools at MSNBC.

Hostile Gospel on April 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM

FIFY

Have no idea how anyone supporting Romney could ever be called conservative. Don’t care what they want to call themselves, they are not by definition when their candidate is a self admitted progressive liberal.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Hey Erika Johnsen, F**k you.

There’s a reason no one knows who you are, and why that state of affairs will not change. You’ve never done anything.

Newt has. His achievements in building up Republican majorities on both the state & national levels, and in major political changes such as welfare and budgetary reform are a matter of record, and are appreciated by conservatives, millions of whom voted for him.

But the idiotic snark of the above post demonstrates that Erika Johnsen is worthless, and will always remain worthless so long as she takes up space.

BCrago66 on April 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

what America needs right now is a businessman

Yawnn. Tired cliche used ad nauseaum to justify the Romney candidacy.

If true, we might as well nominate Michael Bloomberg.

Norwegian on April 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I couldn’t disagree more. A good economy is essential to a nation’s well-being. A good economy requires successful businesses. Not one understand what it takes to create a successful economy better than businessmen and businesswomen.

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Romney pays you by the keystroke or word?

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Funny, we aren’t unanimously rallying around Romney either.

Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I was addressing the idiots that opine that had Gingrich and Santorum canceled each other out was the reason they failed to emerge with overwhelming support of the rank-and-file. Truth be told the candidates I most liked left before the final three.

I would hope that you would agree with me that no presumptive nominee (with the possible exception of Reagan in 1984 as an incumbent) or Clinton in 1992 is going to find party unity to that extent. Newt supporters and Santorum supporters are not a homogeneous and interchangeable lot and neither would be the great GOP unifier. The thing I find most troublesome about this election is how many whiners and crybabies are upset that their guy didn’t win and are vowing to stay home because they can’t support anybody else. In years past there was some sense of party unity.

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Ah, yet another brainiac…

This sore loser, per your definition, did not fight to escape Soviet Union so that he can vote for yet another self admitted progressive liberal. While your squishy ass was sitting on a comfy sofa switching channels on TV and chewing Cheezwits not willing to stand up for anything.

Who’s the loser here, loser?

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Romney pays you by the keystroke or word?

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

What’s it like to be running on empty?

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Awesome, best article I’ve ever ready on HA regarding Newt “Jabba D” Gingrich.

Guy was an embarassment from the start and just went to show how gullible some members of the conservative movement are.

Swerve22 on April 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What’s it like to be running on empty?

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You obviously know.

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

All the sore losers out there really need to think long and hard if they are willing to subject the nation to another four years of an unfettered Obama just because they hate the alternative candidate.Happy Nomad on April 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Ah, yet another brainiac…

Who’s the loser here, loser?

riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

You fought to escape the Soviet Union just so you could be ruled by Obama? Did you lose your mind?

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Check the Karl Rove map, genius. Womney ain’t Captain Electable himself.

Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Erika Johnsen, you ignorant no-nothing twit of a Romneybot! Who the hell are you to talk abut Newt Gingrich like this? When Newt was in the trenches for Conservatives, Romney was busy saying his only connection to the GOP is the R he put after his name.

When you’re ignorant of political history, you shouldn’t post stuff that reveals that ignorance.

SilentWatcher on April 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Wow, Erika. Feel better? I bet you’re the kind of person who would fight a 12 year and and brag about winning too, eh?

I don’t see the point of this post, other than to bash Newt, which isn’t productive. His campaign is over. If you’re going to post low hanging fruit trash like this, I might actually start to miss Tina.

NoStoppingUs on April 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This out and out RINO is also blogging on Townhall? Is this what conservative movement has fallen to, RINOs accepted? riddick on April 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Movements are for those sitting on toilets. Conservatives do not join movements.

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM

MarkCasper on April 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Amen brother. This is single-handedly, without question, the worst single post I have read at Hot Air. Tawdry, ill-informed, and without a shred of class. Newt Gingrich may have his failings of ego and temprament, but he has more intelligence, eloquence, fearlessness, and, yes, conservatism in his little finger than did any of the other candidates this primary. Now that Romney has pretty much wrapped this thing up, the very least the pundits, real and faux, can do is be silent. Unlike some other people I can mention, the man hasn’t hurt anyone but himself. It’s Newt’s God-given right as an American to take a huge risk and fall flat on his face. I don’t think he should have got back into the game, but I give him credit for having the balls to do it.

Gingrich went right after Obama when everyone else was afraid to take Mr. Perfect on. He gave us all an abject lesson in how to rip the liberal media a new one in their own living room and look good doing so. He made Romney sweat and toughened him up. Compared to Gingrich, Santorum was a little gnat that Romney swatted away. Contrast Gingrich going after Jon King to Santorum’s grotesque performance with Jeff Zeleny to see a real master compared to a punk.

I started appalled at Newt’s return; I ended up ready to vote for him before he flamed out. To this day I believe that had Newt stuck to his positive, Obama-centered campaign strategy in the face of Romney’s attacks, instead of letting Romney get to him, he would have recovered in the polls and remained a formidable force in the primary. Santorum would have never gotten any traction as the last ABR standing, and we would be in a very different place today.

It was not to be, and when Newt turned into an idiot, he deserved everything he got. Now, however, is a different story. Hatchet jobs like this one, written and published because certain folks blame Newt for staying in and splitting the ABR vote, tanking Santorum’s chances, are completely unnecessary. The people writing and publishing them are only soiling themselves.

Newt Gingrich invented the modern Republican Party. Just like Orson Welles directed Citizen Kane. Welles may have ended his days selling cheap wine and acting with the Muppets, but he still directed Citizen Kane. No one else can say that. Like Welles, Newt is vast; he contains multitudes, and like many multifold men, his vices are as extreme as his virtues. All the other candidates combined don’t equal one Newt Gingrich. So Newt Gingrich can be forgiven for thinking that he would be a better candidate for the Presidency than Mitt Romney, and he certainly can be forgiven for thinking he would be a better candidate than Rick Santorum. Give the man his due and move on.

Mr. Arkadin on April 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Newt was the only GOP candidate that actually cut the government…

… He actually reduced a bureaucracy.

He worked to actually create a balanced budget over the screams of the Democrats and Bill Clinton took credit…

He was effective in keeping spending under control and was working to send more power back to the states, and the people…

… and the ruling elite political class couldn’t have THAT, now could they?

With the press as allies, Nancy Pelosi et al. filed false ethics charges against him, over, and over, and over, again…

… eventually taking its toll, costing him his Speakership.

In the debates, Newt was the first one to take on Obowma and the Press…

… He was the first to actually have a plan of action on day one to repeal and roll back up to 40% of the damage Obowma has done over the past four years.

He had no illusions of the size of the problem he would face, and the army of bureaucrats, politicians, and the political elite ruling class that would be gunning for him…

… but he was willing to take on the challenge anyway, asking only one thing.

That we would take an active part in changing this Country and help him do it…

… He has stated that he wants to continue to work with the GOP in order to defeat Obowma, because that is the most important thing in this Country right now.

But articles like this are written to belittle the man, to poke fun at, to dismiss…

… Your true character shines through, and it is petty.

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

SilentWatcher on April 27, 2012 at 8:39 PM

u mad.

Newt’s a washed up nobody. She’s giving him the treatment his joke of a candidacy (claiming to be a true conservative ROFLM@O) deserved from the start.

Swerve22 on April 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Check the Karl Rove map, genius. Womney ain’t Captain Electable himself.Sekhmet on April 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Read the footnotes idiot. Romney is close or ahead in every honest poll. Read Bernie Goldberg’s books BIAS and ARROGANCE (which I read years ago) and learn something about liberal push polls. Get a freaking clue.

Obama has no record to run on. Romney is going to win in a landslide.

Basilsbest on April 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

This really got greenlit by Ed and Allah? Really?

sybilll on April 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Pardon my f**king french, you know what? scratch that. Who the f**k is Erika Johnsen?

HerneTheHunter on April 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM

what is this story doing on hot air?

maineconservative on April 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM

what America needs right now is a businessman

Warren Buffett for President!

In all seriousness, the animosity that Hot Air has toward Newt seems to know no bounds. This post is just another cheap shot at a man while he is down. You do realize that a hell of a lot of Republicans admire Newt Gingrich don’t you? You do realize that despite the fact that we will be voting AGAINST Obama this fall we have no particular enthusiasm about Romney, a man who really has no significant accomplishments to his credit.

Newt is leaving the race. There is NO REASON FOR THIS! It is utter stupidity for you to insist on irritating his supporters.

Reggie1971 on April 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I should say no significant CONSERVATIVE accomplishments while governing.

Reggie1971 on April 27, 2012 at 9:07 PM

This really got greenlit by Ed and Allah? Really?

sybilll on April 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM

This site has been trashing Newt long past his sell-by date. Posting pictures of him that made him look like a toothless hick was one of Tina’s specialties. Newt is blamed for staying in too long, splitting the ABR vote, torpedoing Santorum’s chances, and letting Romney slip through. He’ll not be easily forgiven for that.

Mr. Arkadin on April 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

u mad.

Swerve22 on April 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Way to bring the party together! Classy!

Please put “How to win friends and influence people on your reading list”.

Reggie1971 on April 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM