Video: The sadly obligatory “Biden talks about the size of Obama’s stick” clip

posted at 8:03 pm on April 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via the Examiner, a reminder that size matters in foreign policy too. I saw the headline on this hours ago and glowed with pride on the thought that it’s now fair game in modern campaigns for the vice president of the United States to deploy puns about the size of the president’s schwanz. Then I watched the clip. Guys, I … don’t know if he planned the joke. I think he did — the audience obviously gets it — but when he gets to the big payoff he almost seems to pull up short, as if the double meaning is only dawning on him at that moment. Am I wrong about that? If it were anyone else in the administration I’d say there’s no doubt, but look who it is we’re talking about here. I’d prefer to believe that his childlike naivete led him to an inadvertent punchline than that he and his speechwriters are deliberately adding jokes about Obama’s junk to his foreign policy addresses to liven them up.

Incidentally, when it comes to government, superior size does not necessarily mean superior performance:

Independents’ view of the federal government is actually less favorable now at 27 percent than it was in the final year of Bush’s second term, when it was 33 percent. Interestingly, though, it rose to 39 percent in February 2010, when Congress was on the brink of passing ObamaCare. Does that mean indies have soured on Hopenchange or have they just soured on congressional gridlock?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Big f’n deal..?

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Given the state of American education, I’d doubt anyone under 50 got the historical reference.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Obama did Kimmel. Biden will be on SNL next with Timberlake singing “Obama’s Stick in a Box”

Delta Tango on April 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Ugh,a Weiner Wand!
(sarc)

canopfor on April 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

He was talking about Obama’s golf clubs.

OBVIOUSLY

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Swing that stick, Pimp

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I wonder how this will get mistranslated or misunderstood in the foreign news reports, given foreign slang, and all.

“According to the US vice-president, the US president has a big…”

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Obama has a big stick…
up his azz

/Let’s go twitter!

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The gift that keeps on giving.

blatantblue on April 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

And here’s how the real journalists at MSNBC covered it:

GOPRanknFile on April 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Somehow I just don’t see this meme sticking to Obama.

He’s so feminine. Really. He is effete.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Remember girlz… He’s half white.

That’s why MO always looks so angry.

Big stick.. riiiiiiiiight.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Obama wishes his first term favorability was as good as W’s.

Just sayin, after seeing the graph above.

knob on April 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Forget the Secret Service. This guy is the reason no one has seriously tried to take out our President. Stand up, Joe! God love ya!

pookysgirl on April 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Am I wrong about that?

You are dead wrong on this one AP. Biden wasn’t trying to make a joke. He was dead serious and the audience was laughing at him, not with him.

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

He’s so feminine. Really. He is effete.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

No way. Not with a wife like that. She’s a Man Eater.

/oh wait

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

now with each passing day it is more evident and clear to me that this b_tch is ONE AND DONE.

and i don’t care if Romney is a secret liberal. they can sit a ham sandwich on the presidents desk next january and i wouldn’t give a damn. this joke and his joke of an administration are finished.

GhoulAid on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Racist. Stereotyping black men like that.

malclave on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ick.

Fleuries on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I doubt that Iran fears this particular weapon.

theCork on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He uses that stick to play fetch with the doggies.

Curtiss on April 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Speak softly and carry a big stick
***********************************

Meaning

A proverb advising the tactic of caution and non-aggression, backed up by the ability to do violence if required.

Origin

The notion being expressed here is the opposite of the tactics employed by every temporary schoolteacher – who begin stern and tough and, when discipline allows it, become more easy-going. The ‘speak softly…’ doctrine, like the earlier phrase ‘the iron fist in the velvet glove’, was to begin gently, but hold a decisive weapon in reserve.

The widespread use of ‘speak softly and carry a big stick’ began with American president Theodore Roosevelt. In a letter to Henry L. Sprague, on January 26th 1900, he wrote:

“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.”

Roosevelt claims the phrase to be of West African origin, but I can find no corroborative evidence for that assertion. If it truly was proverbial in 1900 it ought to be easy to find earlier citations of it, but I can find none. Nor is there any record of the phrase actually being used in West Africa before Roosevelt’s time. Whether Roosevelt actually believed, for whatever reason, that the expression was West African, or whether he knew that it wasn’t and was indulging in a form of ‘Confucious he say’ hokum in order to impart a degree of distinction to it, we don’t know. It is certainly possible that he coined the phrase himself.
========================================================

canopfor on April 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I doubt that Iran fears this particular weapon.

theCork on April 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Break out the rulers! Man, I would pay many American dollars to see that…

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Speak softly and eat a big dog!

Valkyriepundit on April 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM

So that’s what Biden was talking about when he said “Stand up, Chuck”. Who knew Obama calls his schlong Chuck?

Bitter Clinger on April 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM

On The Five tonight Dana Perino turned a bit red and laughed uproariously over this, quipping it was “too much information”. It was a bit like Joe Scarborough and Ms. Brezinski laughing about Obama eating dog.

Buy Danish on April 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The US Armed Forces has a Big Stick.

Obama, not so much.

teacherman on April 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Maybe someone should ask Reggie Love?

Harbingeing on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I am not sure who’s palate this is supposed to be cleansing.

wte9 on April 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Biden may have figured out his own double-entendre’, but as usual he missed the point of his own rhetoric.

Yes, TR had a big stick, called the Great White Fleet.

Obama has one called the Federal Bureaucracy.

The difference is that TR used his to intimidate foreign nations who didn’t like us. As Brian Keith said playing TR in The Wind And The Lion,

They may respect us. They may even fear us. But they will never love us.

Whether he ever really said it or not, that pretty much summed up TR’s worldview. If he couldn’t get friendship, he’d settle for respect. And if the foreign powers who thought that each and every one of them was destined to rule the world alone were at least afraid enough of us to step carefully around us, so much the better.

As for Obama, he is convinced the rest of the world loves him, personally, precisely because they hate the United States. And because they have been watching him gleefully using his “big stick” on the people of the United States since he took the Oath of Office.

And no, I don’t think Biden gets it, either. That would require at least a room-temperature IQ, which I’m pretty sure he does not have.

clear ether

eon

eon on April 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Coming Soon,

Iranian Wacking Day!
(sarc).

canopfor on April 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Heheheh He said stick heheheheh
Yeah Stick heheheheh

Kini on April 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Joe “the grip” Biden claims to have a sure knowledge of the size of Obama’s stick, so how did he find out?

Also, can he verify the size of Hillary’s stick? She’s the Sec. of State, so it’s quite relevant.

Swerve22 on April 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM

So Joe Biden is the tip of the spear in this story, no?

Curtiss on April 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Schwanz? That made me laugh because, well, I moved away from NYC so long ago. Hadn’t heard that one in a long time.

So! What we have here is not only BIG BRAIN, but BIG S_____Z as well or, big D___K? Right?

Well, OK. But what’s the big deal if you don’t know what to do with these marvelous “assets”? If one has a “big brain”, yet cannot think logically it’s worthless. And if one has a “big stick,” what’s that all about? Is he going to beat us with it, or as I suspect this entire presidential exercise is a form of self ma$turbation.

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

eon on April 26, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Both he and Michelle thought the world loved them so much all they had to do was show up at the IOC, and Chicago would get the Olympics.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

So Joe Biden is the tip of the spear in this story, no?

Curtiss on April 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

woof

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

“Who am I? Why am I here?”

(sorry to you youngsters, dated reference)

iurockhead on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I don’t want my brother coming out of that toilet with just a stick in his hands. — Sonny Corleone

Obama has a big stick. This is a big f***ing deal. — Joe Biden

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I do hope this comes up at tomorrow’s press briefing with Carney. Just for the giggles.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

sigh. *whose

wte9 on April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

“Who am I? Why am I here?”

(sorry to you youngsters, dated reference)

iurockhead on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I am sooo looking forward to the VP debates this fall.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

“It’s twue! It’s TWUE! (not)”

iurockhead on April 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Maybe someone should ask Reggie Love?

Harbingeing on April 26, 2012 at 8:19 PM

He’s been silenced. I know he was supposed to work for the campaign but has anyone seen the poor guy?

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Meh. I always knew this was Beavis and Butt-Head in the White House. Nothing new here.

Gingotts on April 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Obama has a big stick. This is a big f***ing deal. — Joe Biden

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

hahaha!

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Question for Biden posed by Michelle Obama?: What do you know and when did you know it?

Buy Danish on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM
…………….

They could cart Helen Thomas in on a dolly and … I could just see her asking this: “Sooooo, just how big is this schwartz their talking about, Brucky”?

And then they wheel her back out to the dumpster.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:31 PM

He takes after his mother Stanley

halfbaked on April 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

He’s like all the dudes I meet online. Whatever they say they have, I subtract 3 .

SouthernGent on April 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I won’t believe Slow Joe unless MO confirms this allegation.

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I honestly think, from the way he sounded, that he seriously wasn’t aware of the gag even afterward.

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Buy Danish on April 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Well, she did say today that her fantasy is to walk out the door of the WH and just keep walking.

Obama has no friends anymore. Poor Obama.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Someone said Obama eats dogs. Is this true?

Towash on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I guess we know who catches in that relationship.

aniptofar on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Angryed will soon be making an appearance in this thread to assure everybody that for all intents and purposes, Romney’s stick is the same as Obamas.

Swerve22 on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

It’s clear to me he had no idea what he was saying.

WarEagle01 on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Joey IS the joke.

GarandFan on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Which Obama was Biden talking about?

Swerve22 on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Obama has no friends anymore. Poor Obama.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

“If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.”

-Harry Truman.

Not very helpful advice for Obama, given his dietary preferences…

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM

My buddy works for an indiana congressman.

just told me they got an email today from bidens office saying that he would be visiting “Gay, Indiana”

shortly corrected to “Gary” thereafter

blatantblue on April 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Which Obama was Biden talking about?

Swerve22 on April 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Bo. He has a stick he runs around with, hoping someone will play “Fetch!” with him.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Dogs like sticks.

batterup on April 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Joe Biden spends way too much time daydreaming about obama’s stick. Dementia is a very sad affair.

Pork-Chop on April 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

It’s clear to me he had no idea what he was saying.

WarEagle01 on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

He seemed to have a bit of a senior moment when the laughter came, and then not even realizing what he was missing. Not getting his own joke.

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Joe should speak softly.

His words tend to stick in his mouth.

profitsbeard on April 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Obama has no friends anymore. Poor Obama.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I saw that. Of course my reaction was, take O with you and DLTDHYOTWO. Just wait awhile longer to do this because I don’t want Hillary the Harradin to jump in…

Buy Danish on April 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Who was the journalist reprimanded for saying that Obama acted like a d*ck? He should have been more precise and said a “big d*ck.”

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Too bad it isn’t 1929, Biden could go on television and tell the nation that Obama’s stick is thhhhiiiiiissssss big.

Biden takes Obama’s big stick in the you-know-where.

Resist We Much on April 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Is it as big as his debt?

Flange on April 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Gingotts on April 26, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Obeavis and Joe-Butt-Head?

It does sound catchy!

Benedict Nelson on April 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM

“And even if Joe’s a stupid man, and Joe was most certainly that, quite possibly the stupidest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin’ for stupidest World-Wide; But sometimes there’s a man…sometimes..there’s a man “

a5minmajor on April 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Reminds me of the old joke….

Do you know why women can’t parallel park?

They’ve been told that “–” is “————————” a/k/a 6 inches their entire lives.

Resist We Much on April 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Old Joeke would know about sticks cuz he just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Osplinter’s the big stick until a bigger stick comes along. I mean, like he’d even stick his big neck out? All he knows how to do is stick his big nose up in the air cuz he’s always comparing himself to people he can’t hold even a small stick to. But what if Prez BigStickUp gets the wrong end of a very big stick–oh no, wait, that’s us, the American people who got it.

Prez BigStick’s first term has been on a big sticky wicket for four years cuz he’s spent more money than you can shake a big stick at while he’s sticking the young with his big debt and he’s been sticking big to his far leftist guns, thinking he’s gonna be sticking it out in the Oval Office for four more years but just wait until his prezuhduncy comes to a big sticky end and he and his big sticky fingers get evicted from the WretchedHive and he finds himself living in the big sticks or among the bigger sticks in Thugcago.

But since he’s really just a big stick-in-the-mud, how ’bout he just sticks it–big time!

stukinIL4now on April 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Seems to me that the kneepads corps keeps getting more and more volunteers. Almost makes me feel sorry for Brooks who never got past the crease.

platypus on April 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Obama has no friends anymore. Poor Obama.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Link? I missed this. Not surprised. They simply like the perks and lifestyle, not the responsibilities. Pretty much a pattern in their lives.

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Sadly, there have been a couple of moments in the last 3-4 years where I thought the same thing about our president: “Man, this guy is just a big (stick).”

ronco on April 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’ve seen this bit before. It’s funnier with Jeff Dunham.

Snake307 on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM

… The President has a big stick. I promise you….

And, Joe would know… because he swallows.

Danny on April 26, 2012 at 9:00 PM

How does Biden know?

tommer74 on April 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

How I make it twelve inches long. I fold it in half.

gerrym51 on April 26, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Methinks the stick owner knows better.

OhioCoastie on April 26, 2012 at 9:04 PM

“He certainly does!” — Helen Thomas

John the Libertarian on April 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Nevermind. I found it. My wish is the same as hers. Just leave, and keep on walking. Don’t turn around. Don’t say anything. Just leave.

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Teddy Roosevelt – Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick.

.”Speak softly and carry a big stick.” Teddy Roosevelt picked it up in West Africa:

“In a letter written in 1900, a year before he became president, Theodore Roosevelt wrote, “I have always been fond of the West African proverb: `Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.” He repeated what he called this “homely old adage” in a speech as president in Chicago in 1903, and twice again in his writings after that. Every time, it was “Speak softly.” “

This is the year of Our Lord 2012. Barack H Obama wants to govern like it’s the turn of the 19th century, and not the dawn of the new 21st century.

It’s 2012, and still haven’t had a 21st century president.

Dr Evil on April 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Obama has no friends anymore. Poor Obama.

Key West Reader on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM

It was with respect to being guarded 24 hours a day by the Secret Service. Just that she would like to get away from them for awhile. Hillary was the same way. Typical attitude from the entitled. :) The two Bush girls also resented the Secret Service.

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM

He racist.

bobsacramento on April 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

“He certainly does!” — Helen Thomas

John the Libertarian on April 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

ugh! My stupid imagination!

Ugly on April 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Correction turn of the 20th century Teddy was fighting the Spanish American War, during the end of 19th century :)

Dr Evil on April 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Someone said Obama eats dogs. Is this true?

Towash on April 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yes. It’s in his 1st memoir.

theCork on April 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The two Bush girls also resented the Secret Service.

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM

At least the Bush twins had the excuse of immaturity. They were still teenagers when their father was elected.

You’d think Hillary and Michelle would have reflected for a moment on Jackie Kennedy splattered with blood and other matter.

Wethal on April 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Paul-Cincy on April 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Yes. Being protected, supported and coddled must be so annoying. Life is a beotch when one can’t eat one’s waffles when one wants to.

I get it. Everyone wants freedom. I want some freedom as well… from government interference, from debt, and freedom for some choices. Frankly, at this point, life is bleak. I have no sympathy for these yuppies or anyone else who is living life on our tax dollars.

No sympathy here for those who feast on us peasants. They live large and complain. The ultimate welfare recipients. Feh….

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Big stick….OK…but what about those itty-bitty pebbles?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on April 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Biden said Obama had a big stick, but they called him kick stand

boogaleesnots on April 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM

“Who am I? Why am I here?”

(sorry to you youngsters, dated reference)

iurockhead on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Admiral Stockdale was a true American Hero.

Comparing him to Biden is like comparing the Hope Diamond to a chunk of gravel.

climbnjump on April 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Does this mean Biden got teabagged?

Obama’s a teabagger?

Swerve22 on April 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

“Who am I? Why am I here?”

(sorry to you youngsters, dated reference)

iurockhead on April 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Biden: “I’m a warm bucket of _pi__ attempting to be relevant.”

Cody1991 on April 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Hey Joe…

… Why don’t you just run on your record?

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM