Quotes of the day

posted at 10:43 pm on April 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

“House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) poured cold water Thursday on efforts by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) to advance immigration reform by suggesting that such a plan would not be able to pass the GOP-led House this year.

“Asked by a reporter whether he thought the House could pass an immigration measure this year that focused on more than just border security, Boehner said: ‘There’s always hope,’

“The speaker said he has spoken to Rubio about his plan. ‘I found it of interest, but the problem with this issue is that we’re operating in a very hostile political environment. To deal with a very difficult issue like this, I think it would be difficult at best.’”

***

“Gaby Pacheco, a vocal immigrant activist, accepted a tantalizing invitation last week from an unlikely source: Republican Sen. Marco Rubio wanted her to help craft a bill that could legalize the children of some illegal immigrants.

“Two hours later, Pacheco and other activists got a different pitch from their more familiar White House allies. Be wary of Rubio and his plan, two of President Obama’s top advisers told them in a meeting. It wouldn’t go far enough and wasn’t likely to succeed…

“The plan puts Obama in a box. Democrats are reluctant to see Rubio’s efforts as anything other than a political gambit to repair his party’s tarnished image with Hispanics and boost his own profile as a potential vice-presidential pick or future White House contender.

“But if Obama does not at least try to work with Rubio, he could risk losing a centerpiece of his appeal to Hispanic voters — that he is their fiercest ally in Washington and that the GOP is to blame for lack of action on fixing the country’s immigration ills.”

***

“Despite the hype that the GOP moved to the hard right in the primary, immigration was the main issue where Romney himself did so, sounding a hard conservative line to position himself to the right of Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich. If there was one issue where he would “flip-flop” back to the center, it’s likely to be immigration.

“Now Rubio is offering both Romney and the GOP a second chance to court Hispanic voters, and putting the White House in a tough spot. The freshman senator may not become Romney’s running mate, but he could be giving him a bigger political gift with his immigration advocacy.”

***

“Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has thrust himself into the raging illegal immigration debate, proposing a plan that would create a path to legal status for children of illegal immigrants — putting him at odds with an immoveable wing of the Republican Party on this issue.

“It’s a risky move for a potential vice presidential candidate, and it puts presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney in a pickle as he may have to decide whether to back an immigration plan rolled out by one of the party’s rising Hispanic stars, or stick to the strident anti-illegal immigrant positions he staked out during the Republican primary…

“Asked if Romney needed to lighten up his rhetoric, Rubio said the GOP has to better communicate it’s the pro-immigration party.

“‘Not just Gov. Romney — but in general, over the last five years that [the] Republican Party has come to be viewed as the anti-illegal immigration party.’”

***

“In an interview at his Tucson campaign office earlier this month, [Democrat Richard] Carmona, who is running in the race to succeed retiring Sen. Jon Kyl (R), had some blunt criticism for Republicans on the topic of illegal immigration.

“‘Why do you think they’re reworking their initial vitriolic, far-right, ‘deport everybody’ (message)?’ he asked. ‘Why? Do you think that all of a sudden there’s an epiphany and their hearts have opened up to people who are struggling? I don’t think so. I think it’s a political calculation – that they recognized they cannot win their races and stay in office unless they embrace the Hispanic community. So, I really feel it’s very disingenuous.’…

“‘Look, look,’ Carmona said. ‘Do you think it just popped up at this time – six, seven months before the election – and everybody goes, ‘Oh gee, let’s embrace these people now’? … So, it’s crazy. The fact of the matter is these are political calculations and the public is fed up with it.’”

***

“So to sum up-

“We’re going to grant the [premise] the Democrats have been running on that this is something we have to act on (separate from border security/enforcement)

“We’re going to do this to try and win votes of voters who will simply say, ‘Um, why should I support your half-assed measure when the other guys are offering me the whole thing?’

“We’d also offer the Democrats a new and exciting line of attack… ‘Republicans think you’re good enough to work for them and fight and die for this country but not to vote’. Some enterprising liberal will no doubt find a way to equate that with slavery. Fun times!

“And while we’re getting no credit or votes from this, we’ll also be doing the Democrats job for them by driving a wedge between members of our party.”

***

“Rubio said the White House has also been ‘actively trying to torpedo my efforts’ by calling in immigration advocates and urging them not to back Rubio’s bill.

“‘I think Speaker Boehner was acknowledging how difficult it is going to be given the highly politicized climate the president is contributing to, and I agree it’s going to be hard to pass,’ Rubio said. ‘But I am hopeful that we are going to come up with an idea [that] makes sense, that calls to Americans’ spirit of humanitarianism, that recognizes that these kids do not have legal right to be here, but that appeals to our conscience.’…

“Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), who heads the Senate Democrats’ policy and communication shop, said Boehner’s comments ‘show how far Sen. Rubio has to go in trying to gain Republican support for any proposal to help immigrant students.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I believe George described that vid as the 1st real music video. Ringo said Rain was his favorite Beatle song…
Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Eh, there were quite a few music promo videos before then, e.g Ricky Nelson or Kyu Sakamoto’s “Sukiyaki”. Ringo’s drumming on Rain was tight with the bass, just perfect. Even the backwards vocals at the end worked great.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Uh oh. Dangerous down there. Can’t you just send her?

jaime on April 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Do you know how expensive freight has become? She ain’t small parcel anymore :)
I’m kidding. She puts up with a lot.

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

What is sad..I have been to several parts of Mexico. So many beautiful places and culture.
They have potential. The corrupt government and cartels run the country and into the ground.
There is a reason they flee here.

That country could prosper. It is sad…and the poverty I have seen. Good people trapped and beaten down.

I often wonder why we can’t put pressure on them…something. I dunno..just thinking out loud.

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I’ll say goodnight with this oldie-but-goodie.

Good Friday to y’all.

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Come in for a bbq. Just, whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE A WRONG TURN!

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM

“See that sign that says Rib Tips?”…

p.s. visit was italicized for emphasis…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Night Red Crow and late night crew.

I am out too. ZZZZZ time.

TGIF!

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Yeah, I think Florida is better in most ways. (horrible drivers, though)

I’m happy to hear that you didn’t choose to leave because it had gotten too bad in CA. I take a lot of jabs a California, but the main thing wrong with it is the government. I think most of its other problems stem from the government.

I imagine small town FL is really nice. How i love how i love you my dear old swanee I have a lot of friends and relatives in FL, but I don’t think any of them live in a small town. Space Coast area is probably the smallest. Melbourne. I spent a few years in FL, Broward and Hillsborough counties.

jaime on April 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I saw what you did.
Ignoring it.

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

People can laugh at us old farts but the sixties at least for me were very fun. However, I would have like to have been about ten years older so I could drive all the cool cars instead of looking at them.

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

ditto…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I’m kidding. She puts up with a lot.

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I knew you were joking, arnold. That’s why I felt comfortable joking about it.

‘nite.

jaime on April 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Yeah and you could buy an old beater cheap back in the day, work on it a bit, have some wheels for awhile and, when it gave up the ghost, sell it for scrap. Now a car sells for what people paid for a house back then.

whatcat on April 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Enjoyed it as always!!..:)

PS..Happy TGIF!!!..:)

Dire Straits on April 27, 2012 at 2:59 AM

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM

You are pulling rank..That is cool with me!..I enjoy your posts..:):)

Dire Straits on April 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Night HA friends. Remember stay on topic—-what was it again? Ketchup or Salsa on dog.

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM

jaime on April 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

LOL- we have horrible drivers because it is the senior capitol of the country and every Yankee has located here. :) And nut tourists.

I am from the space coast area. :) small beach town. Love it.

My family are old native Floridians and some from South Carolina. I call myself a Cali-hick. :)

Well, we did leave because it got to bad…cost wise. We also lived in a very expensive area in So Cal. I remember we paid (back in the 80′s) $900 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath old crappy duplex. And a state tax-and everything was higher there.

I like some parts of Florida..other parts no. Every state has its good and bad points. Yeah, the government and border issues really have changed Cali. It is to bad.

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Relish and cheese with some chili.

lol

Night Zah.

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Catch ya another time Jaime.

Good night..

bazil9 on April 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM

arnold ziffel on April 27, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Mustard…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Sharpton (and the Martins) is calling for calm on the 20th anniversary of the Rodney King incident. I guess he’s trying to rehabilitate his image in the short run…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I lost faith a while ago. But, I guess we can still hope to lose the sleazeballs on our side through attrition, and get more P Ryan’s and Bachman’s, and West’s in there.
Help us Tea Party, you’re our only hope.(?)
RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Bachman voted for this CISPA crap too. Haven’t seen the rest of the roll…

CycloneCDB on April 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Way to shut down the thread CycloneCDB…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Where did this GOP DREAM Act strategery crapola come from???

Should the GOP also appeal to Irish voters by giving away free booze?

And appeal to Scandinavians by giving away free turnips and herring?

Bullcrap! The GOP can never out-pander the Dems. And there is NO NEED to try!!

Don’t swallow the liberal lie that all Hispanics demand amnesty for illegal aliens.

40% of Hispanics reject amnesty in favor of strict law enforcement.

So why not appeal to the 40% of Hispanics who respect the law, instead of the 54% who favor rewarding criminals (illegal aliens) with their ill-gotten goods (residency in our country)?

Any GOP candidate should be pleased with 40% of any minority voting bloc.

Screw the DREAM Act – in ALL its forms!

fred5678 on April 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Bachman voted for this CISPA crap too. Haven’t seen the rest of the roll…

CycloneCDB on April 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I just looked at the House website and found NO vote information regarding the passage of the bill. In fact, the website still lists the bill as being voted on today (Friday). I couldn’t find a list of how each Representative voted on any other website…

Gohawgs on April 27, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Should the GOP also appeal to Irish voters by giving away free booze?

And appeal to Scandinavians by giving away free turnips and herring?

fred5678 on April 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM

I would tell you that you shouldn’t peddle in stereotypes except, being Irish myself, I have to admit you’re right on that one.

What’s the difference between an Irish wedding & and Irish funeral?
One less drunk. :)

Dark Star on April 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Obama has been much better in regards to war policy than I could have imagined. You probably disagree.

Client Number Nine on April 27, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yup.

VorDaj on April 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Client Number Nine on April 27, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Yup. And so would Reagan.

VorDaj on April 27, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Good Morning!

______________

sure hope flake gets kyl’s seat….do not want carmona representing az….

ugh

cmsinaz on April 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Does the word ‘illegal’ not mean anything to these people? All illegal aliens should be deported, they broke the law!!

steve123 on April 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM

The audition continues……..

Now he’s praising the IMF for not following “American interests”.

These politicians so DO NOT NEED US.

PappyD61 on April 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM

steve123 on April 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Well, round ‘em up, cowboy.

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Looks like the rude, cliquish regulars who camp out on these threads for hours on end and fill up pages and pages with totally off-topic, random content have finally left. Thank goodness. As if the majority of HotAir readers needed to hear about those people’s favorite music videos or about how so-and-so’s dog is doing. If only they were considerate enough to take their multi-page, random, self-indulgent chat sessions to a Facebook discussion group.

I love Rubio, but I think it’s crazy to be proposing any kind of “pathway” to citizenship, especially right now. The effort should instead go towards pointing out the left’s dishonesty in trying to make the pro-border enforcement position synonymous with “anti-immigrant” or racism, as well as pointing out the negative economic and criminal effects caused by years of neglecting to do much about illegal immigration. Republicans instead ought to stress the fact that further amnesty without securing the border will only make the problem worse. These things can be done in a tone that shows compassion as well as respect for the rule of law. I would MUCH rather hear that kind of message coming from Marco Rubio or from a governor like Martinez of New Mexico. Republican politicans born of immigrant parents (particularly those of hispanic heritage) would help blunt the expected, disgusting smears and silly accusations of racism from the pro-open borders liberals.

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Nothing substantial can be achieved until the borders are secured first-plain and simple. I agree w/ what has been said above..we will never be able to “out-pander” the Dems-we shouldn’t even try-makes the right side look weak..

Static21 on April 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Get off my lawn!

2L8 on April 27, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Well, round ‘em up, cowboy.

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I’m for securing the border and NO AMNESTY, but I think that saying things like “round ‘em up” sounds like you are referring to animals or no-good people. That kind of language is not helpful at all and only gives fuel to the left’s efforts to make it seem hateful to want to secure the border. Yes, these people broke the law. We all know it. But they are not all bad people.

We ought to be directing our scorn instead at the politicians who pay lip service to securing the border while at the same time proposing new amnesty measures as a way to pander to particular groups of voters.

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

How dare anybody get in your way of filling threads with mind numbing crap.

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I’d reply to that snobbish comment too, but KTMOL will deal with you on that in her own way.

cozmo on April 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

cozmo on April 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

You know, I’ve never seen a comment from you where you had anything to offer other than a personal attack on another commenter.

We are all adults here, so let’s try to handle disagreements in a mature way, ok?

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

steve123 on April 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM

It’s a huge stretch to say children and babies who are brought here illegally by their parents were “breaking the law”. The children didn’t say, “Hey Mom & Dad, let’s leave Mexico, cross the border illegally and establish illegal residency in the U.S.”.

All the details have not been fleshed out, but I support Rubio’s efforts as a reasonable solution to a problem. What I do not support is any form of chain migration or anything which benefits other family members. It’s a brilliant move which squeezes Obama, but I am also realistic enough to know this is going nowhere because True Con purists and Democrats will fight it from both sides, but it’s giving Rubio a chance to present a positive point of view which helps Republicans – unless the reactionaries factions react as predicted and go overboard with their condemnation of this idea.

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

There is no “path to citizenship” in Rubio’s proposal. I wonder how many people are under this misconception.

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Quite a few, it appears.

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 7:53 AM

It’sa too early to tell but let’s hope Rubio is trying to set the groundwork for that very thing.

Good post, IMO.

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Quite a few, it appears.

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I do wish commenters would actually read the stories attached to these quotes, and familiarize themselves with a minimum acquaintance with the facts, before they begin hitting their knees with rubber hammers.

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Yikes. I need more coffee!

Out: …and familiarize themselves with a minimum acquaintance with the facts,.

In: …and familiarize themselves with at least a minimum understanding of the facts…

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

If the govt had been enforcing it’s own laws from the beginning we wouldn’t have this immigrant/illegal alien mess we have today. Why should we expect anything more now than kissing up to them for their votes and waving a magic wand to make them legal.

Kissmygrits on April 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Kissmygrits on April 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It didn’t happen so now we have to deal the consequences. Punishing children who had no intent to break the law seems pretty illogical imho.

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

bluegill on April 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Well Coz, you gonna take that smack down like a man?
The squish, I mean Fish has put the stank on ya.
You feeling froggy?

BTW, fish. I pass over most of everything you write when I look down the column to see the sig.
I think a lot of us do.

OkieDoc on April 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

“The speaker said he has spoken to Rubio about his plan. ‘I found it of interest, but the problem with this issue is that we’re operating in a very hostile political environment. To deal with a very difficult issue like this, I think it would be difficult at best.”

Most seem to think it’s an easy fix. Just “seal the borders”, etc.

It’s something more along the lines of trying to address the issue of slavery in 1859. It’s something that has its genesis in Ted Kennedy’s altering the immigration policy restricting the influx of European immigration in favor of third world populations.

I wonder if, where he’s at now, he can see the results of his policies.

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Except you’re conflating two different issues, legal and illegal immigration. Arguably, Kennedy did a lot of damage when he radically altered immigration quotas/rules, but those who arrived here as part of that process are nevertheless legal. That is not the case with those Rubio is trying to address.

However, if the Bill Ayersian educational establishment had not condemned Western Civilization and destroyed the concept of assimilation/a melting pot, and then replaced it with divisive multi-culturalist white guilt policies of Cultural Marxism, the effects of Ted’s policies may not have wreaked so much havoc. It is the combo of the two that have given the Left too much power and control, but the topic is related to illegal immigration only to the extent that they have the power of the bully pulpit to constantly push the envelope of reason and destroy our institutions exponentially.

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

This type of pandering by Rubio and others is going to backlash! Rubio will most likely lose some support for this proposal of his. Too many hispanics and the majority of all citizens oppose Amnesty in any form. It was done in 1986 and that was a dismal failure and blot on the legacy of Ronald Reagan. Not to mention the economic morass that has evolved, that effects most states in the USA.

tomshup on April 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

RedCrow on April 27, 2012 at 1:57 AM
jaime on April 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM

They were one guy, composited together. He was a dead ringer for Paul, anyway, and a great mimic. He studied and recreated the expressions and mannerisms of all of them.

de rigueur on April 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Buy Danish on April 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Good points all. Heartely agree.

Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Good points all. Heartely agree.
Cleombrotus on April 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM