Quotes of the day

posted at 10:43 pm on April 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

“House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) poured cold water Thursday on efforts by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) to advance immigration reform by suggesting that such a plan would not be able to pass the GOP-led House this year.

“Asked by a reporter whether he thought the House could pass an immigration measure this year that focused on more than just border security, Boehner said: ‘There’s always hope,’

“The speaker said he has spoken to Rubio about his plan. ‘I found it of interest, but the problem with this issue is that we’re operating in a very hostile political environment. To deal with a very difficult issue like this, I think it would be difficult at best.’”

***

“Gaby Pacheco, a vocal immigrant activist, accepted a tantalizing invitation last week from an unlikely source: Republican Sen. Marco Rubio wanted her to help craft a bill that could legalize the children of some illegal immigrants.

“Two hours later, Pacheco and other activists got a different pitch from their more familiar White House allies. Be wary of Rubio and his plan, two of President Obama’s top advisers told them in a meeting. It wouldn’t go far enough and wasn’t likely to succeed…

“The plan puts Obama in a box. Democrats are reluctant to see Rubio’s efforts as anything other than a political gambit to repair his party’s tarnished image with Hispanics and boost his own profile as a potential vice-presidential pick or future White House contender.

“But if Obama does not at least try to work with Rubio, he could risk losing a centerpiece of his appeal to Hispanic voters — that he is their fiercest ally in Washington and that the GOP is to blame for lack of action on fixing the country’s immigration ills.”

***

“Despite the hype that the GOP moved to the hard right in the primary, immigration was the main issue where Romney himself did so, sounding a hard conservative line to position himself to the right of Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich. If there was one issue where he would “flip-flop” back to the center, it’s likely to be immigration.

“Now Rubio is offering both Romney and the GOP a second chance to court Hispanic voters, and putting the White House in a tough spot. The freshman senator may not become Romney’s running mate, but he could be giving him a bigger political gift with his immigration advocacy.”

***

“Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has thrust himself into the raging illegal immigration debate, proposing a plan that would create a path to legal status for children of illegal immigrants — putting him at odds with an immoveable wing of the Republican Party on this issue.

“It’s a risky move for a potential vice presidential candidate, and it puts presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney in a pickle as he may have to decide whether to back an immigration plan rolled out by one of the party’s rising Hispanic stars, or stick to the strident anti-illegal immigrant positions he staked out during the Republican primary…

“Asked if Romney needed to lighten up his rhetoric, Rubio said the GOP has to better communicate it’s the pro-immigration party.

“‘Not just Gov. Romney — but in general, over the last five years that [the] Republican Party has come to be viewed as the anti-illegal immigration party.’”

***

“In an interview at his Tucson campaign office earlier this month, [Democrat Richard] Carmona, who is running in the race to succeed retiring Sen. Jon Kyl (R), had some blunt criticism for Republicans on the topic of illegal immigration.

“‘Why do you think they’re reworking their initial vitriolic, far-right, ‘deport everybody’ (message)?’ he asked. ‘Why? Do you think that all of a sudden there’s an epiphany and their hearts have opened up to people who are struggling? I don’t think so. I think it’s a political calculation – that they recognized they cannot win their races and stay in office unless they embrace the Hispanic community. So, I really feel it’s very disingenuous.’…

“‘Look, look,’ Carmona said. ‘Do you think it just popped up at this time – six, seven months before the election – and everybody goes, ‘Oh gee, let’s embrace these people now’? … So, it’s crazy. The fact of the matter is these are political calculations and the public is fed up with it.’”

***

“So to sum up-

“We’re going to grant the [premise] the Democrats have been running on that this is something we have to act on (separate from border security/enforcement)

“We’re going to do this to try and win votes of voters who will simply say, ‘Um, why should I support your half-assed measure when the other guys are offering me the whole thing?’

“We’d also offer the Democrats a new and exciting line of attack… ‘Republicans think you’re good enough to work for them and fight and die for this country but not to vote’. Some enterprising liberal will no doubt find a way to equate that with slavery. Fun times!

“And while we’re getting no credit or votes from this, we’ll also be doing the Democrats job for them by driving a wedge between members of our party.”

***

“Rubio said the White House has also been ‘actively trying to torpedo my efforts’ by calling in immigration advocates and urging them not to back Rubio’s bill.

“‘I think Speaker Boehner was acknowledging how difficult it is going to be given the highly politicized climate the president is contributing to, and I agree it’s going to be hard to pass,’ Rubio said. ‘But I am hopeful that we are going to come up with an idea [that] makes sense, that calls to Americans’ spirit of humanitarianism, that recognizes that these kids do not have legal right to be here, but that appeals to our conscience.’…

“Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), who heads the Senate Democrats’ policy and communication shop, said Boehner’s comments ‘show how far Sen. Rubio has to go in trying to gain Republican support for any proposal to help immigrant students.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

NOT Rubio

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

DREAM act, NO

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Let us just secure the border first…

… Then we can have this conversation.

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Marco Rubio has just killed his future as a GOP nominee for president or vice. Maybe he’s committing sepukku. But whatever it is, he’s scored an own goal. Bye Bye lightweight.

promachus on April 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Rome’s Bureaucrats Better than the EPA’s at Increasing Prosperity!A comparison, with graphics, of how Rome’s takeovers left areas prosperous, whereas Obama/Government interference has the opposite effect. For example, PAX ROMANA vs POX OBAMA. In conclusion — Rome knew how to create wealth. And, despite the fact that Roman soldiers had little qualms about inflicting pain, I would also argue they showed more compassion during their crucifixions than the EPA does during theirs.

Mutnodjmet on April 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

No Wet Dreams!

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Bye, Bye Romney.

jjnco73 on April 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

There is something about Marco Rubio that I don’t like or don’t trust. I just can’t put my finger on it.

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

A little peoplescube fun at Marco Rubio’s (and George Zimmerman’s?) expense…or maybe at the NYT’s twisted identification schema:

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Also anti-theft, anti-murder, anti-rape, etc. What’s the Party coming to?

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

There is no fix to the immigration problem that everyone will agree on but there will be a lot less infighting if they will secure the borders and make sure that whatever they decide will be permanent. It’s like the “revenue” problem, show us you can actually reduce spending, then we will talk about revenue. Politicians never get the simplest of facts.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I’m not ready to write Sen. Rubio off. I like him and this is a problem with no winning solution.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Let’s take away the security provided by we the taxpayers to these Congress critters and government leeches.
Make them drive their own vehicles to work, like the rest of us,
on the same roads as the rest of us.
Make them fly like the rest of us.
They earn more than enough to commute to work without
” allowances” and per diems and other extravagances they grab for themselves , without our permission.
Then see how fast these professional parasites secure the borders of this country.

burrata on April 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Rubio: The Boy Blunder. Can he even shave yet? The two most important issues – Foreign policy/Islam and illegal invasion – and he’s anti-conservative on both.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Mutnodjmet on April 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Did you see Greta furiously defending the little fascist from the EPA?

slickwillie2001 on April 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

DREAM act, NO

Schadenfreude on April 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Very Orwellian named. It should be called the Nightmare Act.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Senator Rubio (Romney TOO) is committing Political suicide. Maybe Rove’s Electoral map has some truth to it.

jjnco73 on April 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Are we anticipating some massive Hispanic/Latino turnout in this election? Why all of the pandering both on the Left and on the Right?

I’ve asked this before, but never got an answer: Is there a difference between Hispanics and Latinos? If so, what is it?

And another aside: I recommend Telex from Cuba, a really satisfying read about Cuba in the ’50′s up to the takeover by the Castros. It’s a novel with lots of research behind it.

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’m afraid you’ll have to write him off. We already got Geraldo, we have no need of an understudy.

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Man, oh, man… Rubio is more squishy than the tissue Boehner uses for his tears.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Did you see Greta furiously defending the little fascist from the EPA?

slickwillie2001 on April 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

And isn’t crucifying people a whole lot worse than waterboarding them?

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Cindy, you’ve earned a lot of respect around these parts … mostly because of what you said.

I just don’t have much respect for Rubio after that Mavericky speech at the Prog Brookings Inst. yesterday.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

This new immigration softness on Rubio’s part is bad for the nation and bad for the Republican party in a critical election year (DrewMusing in the QOTD summarizes this analysis perfectly). But it’s smart politics for Rubio. Rubio’s looking out for number one, and I’m sure Jeb as Rubio’s mentor is behind the strategy.

Burke on April 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

My point is, Cindy… unlike you, Rubio’s words are coming way out of left field.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Maybe it’s just an attempt to assure that demographic to be assured that they are aware of their “problems”. The Democrats never do anything about it either. They could have done whatever they wanted from 2009 to 2011 but they didn’t. I wonder why that is?

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

burrata on April 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM

And how, exactly, do you propose we do THAT?

Cleombrotus on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Romney’s position on illegal “immigration” is just fine now, as long as he sticks to it, which means ignoring the Boy Blunder Senor Rubio.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Here’s my finger on it: He’s deliberately imperiling his own party’s presumptive nominee, by needlessly advancing an issue and forcing Romney to take a side (presumably Rubio’s) in a fight that will not help him whichever side he chooses, in order to further his, Rubio’s, own agenda… which quite possibly includes his own future presidential prospects (with all those newly-legalized voters in the vanguard):

Rubio says he hopes Romney will be open to his plan once its developed and says Romney is “now the leader of the Republican party.”

In other words, he’s acting like a politician.And I really resent that Rubio is granting the Democrats’ premise that this is something we have to do now, and apart from enforcement and border security.

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

My point is, Cindy… unlike you, Rubio’s words are coming way out of left field.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Technically I think Mexico City is south.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I haven’t listened to it and it might change my mind but all politicians pander. That’s why I hate all these demographics and the unending determination to make more.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

This needs to play out a few more days..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

And John McCain!

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Rubio is reminding me more and more of what I didn’t like about Crist.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Et tu, Rubio?

Is it wrong to be the anti-lawbreaker party?
Should we be ashamed we believe in our sovereignty?

I don’t know about this Rubio, fella. I thought Romney was the liberal.

RedCrow on April 26, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

The problem with that is that it was the Republican leaders and their citizenship giveaway program whom we had beat back last time. We don’t need any more amnesty-driven GOPers.

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Technically I think Mexico City is south.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Rubio’s RINOtastic comments are beyond the immigration stuff. Check out what he was saying at Brookings yesterday… Joe Lieberman’s praise is gag worthy enough.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Unbelievable. I guess we should be the pro illegal immigration party? That’s one of the most stupidist things I’ve ever heard in my life.

lowandslow on April 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

And John McCain!

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Didn’t Juan McVain change his position completely on illegal “immigration”? Oh, that’s right, his election race for senator is over now.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Cindy,

With all do respect, pandering to people that will never vote Republican is just plain stupid. It’s just that simple.

My brother was shot and killed 15 years ago by an illegal immigrant at his employment site. So,personally, I’m haunted by this problem every single day of my life and for the rest of my life.

jjnco73 on April 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Yesterday, he wasn’t pandering.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Schadenfreude had a more credible link… but here you go http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1849476/pg1

Yay for the UN and IMF!

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yes, it’s a plot.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I saw that. He is now spitting on Ronald Reagan’s grave with his pro islam “democracy”/”Arab Spring” crap.

He is the anti-Reagan.

“Our experience in Lebanon led to the adoption by the administration of a set of principles to guide America in the application of military force abroad, and I would recommend it to future Presidents. The policy we adopted included these principles:
1. The United States should not commit its forces to military action overseas unless the cause is vital to our national interest.
2. If the decision is made to commit our forces to combat abroad, it must be done with the clear intent and support needed to win. It should not be a halfway or tentative commitment, and there must be clearly defined and realistic objectives.
3. Before we commit our troops to combat, there must be reasonable assurance that the cause we are fighting for and the actions we take will have the support of the American people and Congress.
4. Even after all these other tests are met, our troops should be committed to combat abroad only as a last resort, when no other choice is available.” -Ronald Reagan

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You are correct about Brookings.
I haven’t figured out Rubio yet. He appears to have the zeal of a youth who hasn’t yet awakened to broader economic/political realities.

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And I disagree with voices in my own party who argue we should not engage at all. Who warn we should heed the words of John Quincy Adams not to go “abroad, in search of monsters to destroy”.

I disagree because all around us we see the human face of America’s influence in the world. It actually begins with not just our government, but our people. Millions of people have been the catalyst of democratic change in their own countries. But they never would have been able to connect with each other if an American had not invented Twitter.

The atrocities of Joseph Kony would still be largely unknown. But in fact, millions now know because an American filmmaker made a short film about it and then distributed it on another American invention YouTube.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rubio-i-disagree-with-voices-in-my-own-party/#ixzz1tCt7oB00

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Yay for the UN and IMF!

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

That’s our Boy Blunder Barco!!!

He is acting like the son George Soros would have had.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Agreed. John McCain, Joe Lieberman, Lindsey Graham, and now Marco Rubio do not represent Reagan national defense … clearly, as they are talking about an offense and how the US is needed in every conflict.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Yes, it’s a plot.
Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Well, in a way, yes – since identity politics is dependent on a group working for the same end.

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hey guys! First, you don’t have to do all the “with all do respect” stuff, I can be wrong as easy as anyone. All I’m saying is this is all talk. No politician is going to do anything about illegal immigration because too many of their money folks benefit from it. And the fact that it is modern day slavery is just ironic as hell. I have always said that I don’t want Rubio as the VP choice because I am not sure he is real and I hate picking someone based on the demographic that they might but probably won’t pull into the fold.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

You are correct about Brookings.

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’ll say this over and over… unless something changes, he’s John McCain without the military service.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Romney/Rubio 2012!

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

O.K., your finger is in the same place as my finger, only I couldn’t get it into words. This is a huge issue for me, for obvious reasons and I sure do hate the pandering.

Seal the freaking border and make them wait their turn like I had to. And when I look back on it, waiting wasn’t such a bad thing, it gave me to time to learn the language before I got here, amongst other things.

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It’s not a plot to harm Romney as indicated.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

He is acting like the son George Soros would have had.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM

KONY 2012! ;)

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Rubio is a total idiot if he thinks he can see the face of liberty in Afcrapistan or anywhere in the muslim world. We know that McCain has gone senile but he’s twice Barco Mubio’s age.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I do respect you… but …

I would really encourage you to look at what he was saying yesterday. It’s beyond immigration. It’s beyond pandering. He seems to truly hold a progressive world view … perhaps that good old Teddy Roosevelt Great National Conservatism or what have you. Seriously check it out.

I know I’ve talked to bazil (FL) about this. Would like to hear her reaction on the latest.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

OUCH.

Just Sayin on April 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Video of Rubio’s Brookings speech…

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Amnesty was one of two things I disagreed with Pres. Reagan. What laws are citizens going to get to ignore or get a pass on?

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I am beginning to miss Charlie Crist, just like I now miss Jimmy Carter.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Given how things turned out, Reagan later said it was one of his biggest mistakes.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

A TRIPLE NO.

No Marco.

No Dream.

No more Bushes (or their young surrogates).

PappyD61 on April 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

First, wouldn’t it be nice to see a reporter go at any Dem half as surgically as this woman conversed with Mr. Rubio?

And if you guys think think that Rove’s electoral schematic is scary. Go and do a poll of Latinos. I knew many nice ones in Texas. The east coast is another story. This is almost verbatum how they answered questions:

They think they built this country.

I had illegals express the opinion that they were owed for the time they spent here being less well off than the “whites” and needed extra awards for their “service” or “exploited” time”.

They were here hundreds of years before the English but got ripped off so they should own the country.

Don’t ask what they think of blacks.

You should read the police report from some who had an opinion about a white guy in a $300,000 car. They think you are a drug dealer or who knows what. I swear you would not believe it.

Finally, if you ask anyone from their hometowns in their native land, most illegals are not just “hungry folks” looking for a break. they were criminals there and they broke another law to settle here. What type of person do you think would enter another country illegally?

Everybody who is here legally deserves respect and the protection of our laws. This includes Latinos.

Part of that respect is to allow doctors, inventors, teachers and engineers who are legally trying to enter the country to come in and join us in the place of crooks and scofflaws.

IlikedAUH2O on April 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yes, it’s a plot.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I question the timing. It’s what everyone is questioning. Why now, Rubio?

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Video of Rubio’s Brookings speech…

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I listened to part of it. It sounded like something read off Obama’s TelePrompter.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It’s not a plot to harm Romney as indicated.
Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Ah – you mean this part?

Don’t you think that even if you delete his term “deliberately” there is some merit to conclusion it certainly doesn’t help Romney? And, if so, is Rubio so clueless that he doesn’t realize that fact?

whatcat on April 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Is this a Bush strategy to sacrificar Romney so as to leave 2016 open for Jeb? Tinfoilly?

BoxHead1 on April 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

It is eye opening…

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Rubio held his own though. If he is selected I won’t be concerned if he is ready to answer the hard questions.

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

THE PAPPY PLAN.

1. Seal the border.

Saves entitlement programs of the Feds/States and locals. Also reduces crime, forces respect for AMERICAN law and might actually raise wages if cheap illegal help isn’t available.

2. 10% across the border federal spending cuts.

Not those sham “cuts” in the growth but real $350 billion in cuts spread out over all agencies and departments. Then next year $300 billion more in real cuts, and so forth until we’re left with the barebones and then we can start on the next steps (term limits, etc.).

PappyD61 on April 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM

This is a hard debate..A lot of opinions on what is the right path..It usually turns into a swamp (See Rick Perry)..It will a bitter debate for everyone just like 2006..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

It’s not a plot to harm Romney as indicated.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It’s not a plot to harm Romney. I’m sure Rubio thinks his proposal, if Romney supports it, will help Romney. I mention timing simply because right now, before Romney has his election campaign in gear, is really good time to nudge Romney in the direction Rubio wants him to go. Nothing sinister about this, it’s how politicians work.

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

BoxHead1 on April 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

If Obama gets another 4, he will chain-migration legalize all of Mexico and no Republican, even a RINO, will ever be elected president again.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I don’t doubt that it is some kind of coordinated roll out but just not to hurt Gov. Romney. Maybe make his call for self deportation appear more conservative. I don’t think Rubio would help himself by being more “progressive” than Gov. Romney.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

What is the upside for the GOP to have this debate now..?

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

We don’t need immigration “reform.” We need to enforce the immigration laws we have now, and deport illegals immediately whenever they are found. Within ten –or even five — years the “problems” will solve themselves.

JannyMae on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Rubio could sink Romney. If that is not what he is trying to do, he might as well be.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Man, the topic monitors sure have whipped y’all into line.

Lots of hand wringing over something everybody admits has zero chance of being acted upon.

cozmo on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

What are you talking about?

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The world we live in today: being against something that is illegal is spun as bad (“anti-illegal immigration).

And G– forbid the US Congress actually tackled a “difficult” issue — I guess it would interfere with all the cocktail parties & golf games.

Dark Star on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Speaking of Chuck, did you see this? You’d have to search far and wide for this kind of stupid.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

What is the upside for the GOP to have this debate now..?

d1carter on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

There is none..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

So glad Rubio called out the reporter on the false assumption.

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

What’s to say Rubio doesn’t really believe this stuff? I believe John McCain is sincere in his stupidity.

MeatHeadinCA on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Which is why it’s a debate best avoided until after the election. So does Rubio bring it up now? Because, I believe, he sees an opportunity to co-opt Romney to his cause. Not to hurt Romney, let me re-emphasize. I’m sure Rubio sees his proposal (still in the works) as a beneficial thing to his party– and not least of all to himself. I’m sure he thinks it would help Romney, too. In this– and judging from a lot of the comments on this thread– I believe he’s mistaken.

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

What are you talking about?

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

The main subject of this thread.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

cozmo on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Amen!..Justs keeps everyone’s eye off the economy..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

There is none..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

So why are we going there? Is this Rubio going rogue or something?

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

What did W do? He got a lot of the Hispanic vote. I don’t even know why I asked that. What can we do to get the women vote, the gay vote, the beta male blogger vote? What is good for America is usually good for everyone.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM

cozmo on April 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

You really think that’s the issue?

Cleombrotus on April 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM

It’s not a plot to harm Romney as indicated.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Maybe it’s a plot to get everyone to STFU about him being VP.

Dark Star on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

So why are we going there? Is this Rubio going rogue or something?

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Rubio may see a benefit..That is the reason I say we need to let this play out a few days..:)

Dire Straits on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

The main subject of this thread.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I’m sure the American public is closer to Rubio’s view. Hearing him describe his plan….I think it’s quite sensible.

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Maybe it’s a plot to get everyone to STFU about him being VP.

Dark Star on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

That makes more sense than anything else.

cozmo on April 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Well, that’s an interesting theory. Makes Rubio more Machiavellian than I was positing. Or perhaps I misunderstand you. The highlighted sentence: do you mean that might be the effect of Rubio’s roll out? or the intention?

de rigueur on April 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Ahhhh, the annual Republicans will win over the Jew, blacks, Hispanic vote thingy.

rickyricardo on April 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM

JPeterman on April 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Me too. He’s forcing the play.

a capella on April 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM

he’s talking about dear leader isn’t he

look at your own party bub

cmsinaz on April 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

terryannonline on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

The big majority of Americans are against illegal “immigration”, including shamnesties.

VorDaj on April 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Maybe it’s a plot to get everyone to STFU about him being VP.

Dark Star on April 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM